Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st/2nd Gen Monotype Challenge Thread

Pokémon Red Water-monotype challenge

To keep a long story short: I beat all the remaining Gym Leaders and beat Team Rocket. I also caught a lot of Pokémon and evolved them. I beat Blue west of Viridian City and saved. This is my team, note that I only used 2 TM's (Psychic and Swords Dance) in the entire playthrough so far. I will use TM's when I'm gonna challenge the Pokémon League. Also note that my team is a bit under-leveled now, and that I will level grind them before the Pokémon League.

Current team:

Blastoise Lvl 44
    ~ Surf
    ~ Strength
    ~ Skull Bash
    ~ Withdraw

Gyarados Lvl 42
    ~ Surf
    ~ Dragon Rage
    ~ Bite
    ~ Hydro Pump

Poliwrath Lvl 42
    ~ Surf
    ~ Body Slam
    ~ Amnesia
    ~ Hypnosis

Starmie Lvl 42
    ~ Surf
    ~ Psychic
    ~ Recover
    ~ Minimize

Lapras Lvl 42
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Surf
    ~ Body Slam
    ~ Sing

Kabutops Lvl 43
    ~ Slash
    ~ Surf
    ~ Swords Dance
    ~ Absorb
    Click on these Pokémon to make them happy and healthy!:

Spoiler:- Credits:

Pokémon Red Water-monotype challenge team:

Pokémon Emerald Water-monotype challenge team:
    Pokémon Fire Red Nuzlocke challenge team:

Ok, it's been a long time since I did it, so I don't remember it well. I've finished Kanto's quest. I remember Green's battle as a really tough one. Blaine wa easy, and Misty wasn't as hard as I expected. Brock was easy, but I don't remember anything remarkable of that battle... Now I am training for facing Red. I've added a Dugtrio to my team, but it's still underleveled. Now I am continously beating the E4 for training, because Red is still too strong for my team.

Today I've battled my Rival at the Indigo Plateau. He was easily beaten, as my team is much stronger than his, I've beaten the E4 one more time, and I've gone to the Battle House at Viridian City.

Graveler Lv 59 @ Quick Claw: Earthquake, Rock Throw, Explosion, Rock Smash.
    Quagsire Lv 60 @ Mystic Water: Surf, Earthquake, Ice Punch, Headbutt.
    Sandslash Lv 59 @ Soft Sand: Dig, Fury Cutter, Slash, Cut.
    Rocky (Onix) Lv 60 @ Amulet Coin: Earthquake, Screech, Rock Throw, Slam.
    Dugtrio Lv 40 @ Exp. Share: Magnitude, Slash, Sand-Attack, Dig.
    HM Slaves: Farfetch'd and Psyduck.

I don't know if I should give this for finished, or try beating Red, because that would take too much time...
    Last edited by Swoobat; 28th January 2013 at 10:44 AM.
    I am Spanish, so my English isn't very good.

Spoiler:- Completed Challenges:

3DS Friend Code: 2191-8109-9121. Friend Safari: Flying: Swanna / Spearow / Hawlucha. PM me so that I can add you!

So I decided to do a Crystal Bug Challenge.
    I started off with a Chickorita and did the whole egg thing. Once I received some pokeballs I set out on my adventure. I arrived on Rt. 30 and immediately caught a Spinarak and named him Jumanji. Since I figured I should get a few more bugs to start the game I saved and waited until morning. When I woke up I caught a Weedle and name her Yolanda. I also caught a Ledyba named Lady. I finally arrived in Violet City and hit up the pokemon center for a quick break.

Current Team:
    Jumanji Lv. 8
    Lady Lv. 4
    Yolanda Lv. 4

Pokemon Crystal Bug Update:

Woah so much has happened between now and last time. I caught a caterpie and named her Misty. I trained Jumanji, Yolanda, and Misty to level 10. I put Lady in the PC and headed of to Sprout Tower. I made it through Sprout Tower and the gym relatively easy. I headed down through Union Cave and into Azalea Town. Krazy Kurt started rambling about slowpokes with no tails and ran off to a well. I followed him knowing he had no chance of helping anyone down there. After further investigation I found some punks down there trying to rough up some slowpokes and I disposed of them quite easily. I proceeded to take down Bugsy at the gym and tried to head out of town. This is where I discovered the idiotic mistake I made. I chose chickorita and now my "rival" has a quilava.....crap. I managed to take him down but I don't look forward to fighting him in the future. I helped the idiot in the Ilex Forest and saved the game.

Team as of now:

Jumanji Lv. 18
    Misty Lv. 17
    Yolanda Lv. 16

Boxed:
    Lady

So I'm back with another Pokemon Crystal update:

After getting out of the Ilex Forest many things have happened so here's a quick run-down:

Caught Pokemon-
    Paras-Shroomy
    A.D.A.M.-Pineco-boxed
    Luann-Venonat-boxed
    All were caught in the Forest

Queen-Scyther
    Caught in the Bug Catching Contest

I trained my team up to Lv. 20 and went on to face Whitney. I was able to take her down with a combo of sleep then poison from Misty with some Confusion thrown in. I moved on to Ekruteak and beat up on the Kimono Girls then went and conquered the Burnt Tower.

Spoiler:- Current Team:

Spoiler:- Boxed:

Wow, been so long since the last update!

Crystal Bug Monotype:

I have made it through all 8 badges and up through victory rd. gonna train up for the elite 4.

Spoiler:- Current Team:

Check out my new website! patrice3pospoke-ventures.weebly.com

(puts a black waistcoat and a green bowtie on):
    It's UPDATE time!

Meet Abnor, the beginning trainer from New Bark Town. For some reason he wants to train only normal-type pokemon (dual-typed included). He was given a Chikorita (who upon closer inspection turned out to be not a normal type so he gave her to his mother) by Prof. Elm. During his journeys he stumbled upon Team Rocket (he has no idea who are they or what are they doing) and some Gym Leaders.

Abnor climbed the Olivine Lighthouse and was asked to bring some special medicine. Abnor than Surfed on his special HM Slave, Tauros.
    At the Cianwood City Abnor found a Suicune who promptly ran away.
    Eusine: Yo! Abnor!
    Abnor: Oh hello mister pokefighter! (Abnor misheard Eusine earlier and thinks that Eusine battles other pokemon on his own)
    Eusine: Wasn't that Suicune just now?
    Abnor: I guess so
    Eusine: I only caught a quick glimpse, but I thought I saw Suiscune runnig on the waves. Suicune is beautiful and grand.
    Abnor: Well, if you are going to fight Suicune you'd better teach youself Thunderbolt for super-effective damage
    Eusine: And it races through towns and roads at simply awesome speeds.
    Abnor: You may want to add Mean Look and Agility in your moveset than
    Eusine: It's wonderful... I want to see Suicune up close... I've decided
    Abnor: So, what moves are you going to use?
    Eusine: I'll battle you as a trainer to earn Sicune's respect! Come on, Abnor. Let's battle now!
    Abnor: Whoa, I've never fought people with my pokemon. Now that's going to be extra-cool!

Spoiler:- Abnor vs Eusine:

Mystycalman Eusine was defeated!
    Eusine: I hate to admit it, but you win. You're amazing, Abnor
    Abnor: I've been complimented by that super-awesome man who fights pokemon all by himself!
    Eusine: No wonder Pokemon gravitate to you. I get it now. You totally think some nonsence about me but that's okay. I'm going to keep searching for Suicune. I'm sure we'll see each other again. See you around!
    Abnor: What did he mean about nonsence? Well, where's that pharmacy?
    Abnor recieved Sectretpotion.

AT THE GYM

Cianwood City Gym. Leader Chuck. His roaring fists do the talking!
    He'd better be in his Gym!
    Turned out he was in the Gym, so...
        Spoiler:- Abnor vs. Chuck:

Leader Chuck was defeated!
    Abnor recieved TM01/Dynamicpunch

On the outside Abnor met a woman.
    Mysterious Lady: You crossed the sea to get here? That must have been hard. It would be much easier if your pokemon knew how to fly... that's Cianwood's Gym Badge! Then you should take this HM.
    Abnor recieved HM02/Fly
    Mysterious Lady: My husband lost to you, so he needs to train harder. That's good, since he was getting a little chubby.

Team stats:
    Reindeer the Stantler
    Level: 22
    Held Item: Brightpowder
    Moveset: Headbutt
    Reflect
    Light Screen
    Hypnosis
    Role: Support Pokemon
    Notes: Reindeer's a nice pseudo-passer which never hurts. I'm waiting for lvl 49 where he learns Confuse Ray.

Flaser the Pidgeotto
    Level: 27
    Held item: Quick Claw
    Moveset: Tackle
    Mud-slap
    Fly
    Quick Attack
    Notes: While I'm going to eventually beef him up with Double-Edge but this guy pulls his weight so far.

Momzilla the Kangaskhan
    Level: 23
    Held Item King's Rock
    Moveset:
    Strength
    Shadow Ball
    Rock Slide
    Submission
    Notes: Kangaskhan needs more love. Momzilla's fast, has decent defences, hits hard and has a nice type coverage. Granted, she's no RBY's Amnesia Mewtwo or Curslelax or Cursing Lugia but still.

Liza/Tate the Girafarig
    Level: 25
    Held Item: Slowpoketail
    Moveset:
    Confusion
    Stomp
    Thunderbolt
    Crunch
    Notes: Clefable is not the one and only special-attacking Normal type (I realy don't have anything against Clefable, it has a nice stats and move options out of the wazoo but there are other normal-type elemental attackers)

Toothfairy the Snubbull
    Level: 26
    Held Item: Everstone
    Moveset:
    Lick
    Scary Face
    Headbutt
    Charm
    Notes: That Snubbul has neither Heal Bell nor Curse. She's not even evolved. Doesn't stop her from being a nice support pokemon (Whitney's Miltank and Chuck's Poliwrath can affirm it).

Fursnaker the Furret
    Level: 27
    Gander: Male
    Held Item: Pink Bow
    Moveset:
    Dig
    Dynamicpunch (what is he going to punch with I have no idea)
    Quick attack
    Return
    Notes: Glass Canon extraordinare

Abnor went to Olivine City and gave the Secret Potion to Jasmine.

Leader: Jasmine. The Steel-Clad Defence Girl

Spoiler:- Abnor vs. Jasmine:

Leader Jasmine was defeated!

Abnor recieved Mineralbadge
    Abnor recieved TM23/Iron Tail
    Alrighty then, backtracking time, s'il vous plait!

Using Surf and Strength Abnor went to Ruins of Alph to recieve some Gold Berries and Moon Stones.

Abnor used Pokegear
    -Hello, Liz speaking.
    Oh, Abnor. How are you? Hi! Do you have some free time? I've got all sorts of time. If you're free, would you like to battle? I'll be waiting on Route 32. Let me know when we get here! OK, I'll call you later.

Abnor: Hey, Liz. You see, I've been battling a lot of Gym Leaders and I like theier Titles. "Steel-Clad Defence Girl" or "His roaring Fists Do the Talking". And they specialize only in one elemental type, you see. I also use only normal-type pokemon. I wish I had a cool title too, like-
    Liz: Abnor - The wacko with a Furret

After that Abnor went to Lake of Rage. There he found Red Gyarados whow he captured and a trainer called Lance whom he ignored. Abnor then put Gyarados and female Goldeen to breed for some shinies. Then Abnor went to Mahogany Town Souvenir Shop to buy sone Ragecandybars and found Lance. It turned out that the Team Rocket Hideout is in the shop so abnor went downstairs and battled some Rocket Grunts. After defeating two Rocket Executives and three Electrodes Abnor recieved HM06/Whirlpool from Lance. Abnor then decided to fool around a bit and met Suicune twice (near Mt. Mortar and National Park). After collecting some berries, apricorns and Kurt's pokeballs Abnor ended in a Mahogany Gym.

HM Slaves:

Shuriken the Tentacool
    lvl 10/female
    Poison Sting
    Whirlpool
    Cut
    Surf

Hovercraft the Tauros
    lvl 13/male
    Surf
    Strength
    Rage
    Rock Smash

Spoiler:- Abnor vs Pryce:

Leader Pryce was defeated! Abnor recieved Glacierbadge.
    Abnor recieved TM16/Icy Wind
    Abnor: Thanks, I guess. I would prefer Flamethrower right now though.
    Pyce: It contains Icy Wind. It inflicts damage and lowers Speed
    Abnor: Great. Achoo!
    Pryce: It demonstrates the harshness of winter
    Abnor: Well, tha- achoo!
    Abnor spent next 30 minutes sliding across the Gym using his newfound sneeze attack.
    Abnor recieved a phone call.
    Prof. Elm: Abnor, how are things going?
    Abnor: Not bad, Professor, I got my seventh badge and-
    Prof. Elm: I called because something weird is happening with the radio broadcasts.
    Abnor: Achoo!
    Prof. Elm: They were talking about Team Rocket. Abnor, do you know anything about it?
    Abnor: I still don't know what exactly IS that Team Rock-achoo!
    Prof. Elm: Maybe Team Rocket has returned. No, that just can't be true. Sorry to bug you. Take care!
    Abnor: Well, that's weird. Wait a minute! There is an abandoned Ninja hideout in this City! Hm, I guess I'm moving to Mahogany Town!

Team Abnor:
    Reindeer the Stantler
    Level: 29
    Held Item: Bright Powder
    Moveset:
    Headbutt
    Reflect
    Ligh Screen
    Hypnosis
    Notes: A pseudo-passer with a Hypnosis.

Fursnaker the Furret
    Evolved from Sentret at Azalea Town
    Held Item: soft Sand
    Moveset:
    Dig
    Dynamicpunch
    Iron Tail
    Return
    Notes: Johto's Raticate, right? I mean, a lot of normal types outclass him and stuff. Well, you can tell that to Whitney's Miltank, Morty's Gengar and Pryce's Piloswine.

Toothfairy the Snubbull
    Moveset: Scary Face
    Charm
    Headbutt
    Sludge Bomb
    Notes: Toothfairy is not to be trifled with. She can make grimaces or cute faces or even spew poisonous substances.

Flaser the Pidgeotto
    Evolved from Pidgey at Azalea Gym
    Level: 28
    Held Item: Quick Claw
    Moveset:
    Tackle
    Mud-slap
    Gust
    Fly

Momzilla the Kangaskhan
    Held Item: King's Rock
    Moveset:
    Strength
    Shadow Ball
    Rock Slide
    Submission
    Notes: Momzilla hits fast and hard. Sure, her Physical Defense cannot be compared to that of Steelix and Blissey has superior Special Defence. It doesn't stop Momzilla from being awesome.

Liza/Tate the Girafarig
    Level: 30
    Gander: Female
    Held Item: Magnet
    Moveset:
    Confusion
    Stomp
    Thunderbolt
    Crunch

Abnor went to Radio Tower to find out what exactly is that Team Rocket. Later Abnor leart a valuable lesson:
    Flaser flew up high!
    Flaser used fly!
    Enemy Koffing used Selfdestruct!

Flaser flew up high!
    Flaser used fly!
    Enemy Weezing used Selfdestruct!

Note to Self: If you divebomb the bag of poisonous gas it is likely to explode on you.

Abnor went to Radio Tower, found the fake director, recieved a special key and went to underground where he met SNORLAX.
    SNORLAX: Hold it! I saw you, so I tailed you.
    Abnor: You could've fought this team Rocket thing instead
    SNORLAX: I don't need you underfoot while I take care of Team Rocket. ... Wait a second. You beat me before, didn't you? That was just a fluke. But I repay my debts!

Spoiler:- Abnor vs. SNORLAX:

SNORLAX was defeated!
    SNORLAX: ...Why... Why do I lose? I've assembled the toughest Pokemon. I didn't ease up on the gas. So why do I lose?
    Abnor: Never underestimate some whacko with bunch of weird pokemon with weird moves
    Snorlax: ...I don't understand... Is what that Lance guy said true? That I don't treat pokemon properly? Love... Trust... Are they really what I lack? Are they keeping me from winning?
    Abnor: Think about it a little more. Have you ever ditched your pokemon for the "better" one?
    SNORLAX: I... I just don't understand. But it's not going to end here. Not now. Not beacause of this. I won't give up my dream of becoming the world's best Pokemon trainer!

The remaining Team Rocket part was kinda boring except the fact that lvl 31 Momzilla outsped lvl35 Houndoom.

Abnor then went through Ice Path to get to Blackthorn City.

Team Abnor:
    Reindeer
    Stantler
    Lvl: 34
    Held Item: Amulet Coin
    Moveset:
    Headbutt
    Reflect
    Light Screen
    Hypnosis
    Team role: The barrier warrior

Toothfairy
    Snubbull
    Lvl: 33
    Moveset:
    Scary Face
    Charm
    Headbutt
    Sludge Bomb

Liza/Tate
    Girafarig
    Lvl: 33
    Held Item: Brightpowder
    Moveset:
    Confusion
    Stomp
    Thunderbolt
    Crunch

Fursnaker
    Furret
    Held Item: Soft Sand
    Moveset:
    Dig
    Dynamicpunch
    Iron Tail
    Return

Flaser
    Pidgeotto
    Lvl: 32
    Held Item: Quick Claw
    Moveset:
    Tackle
    Mud-Slap
    Gust
    Fly

Momzilla
    Kangaskhan
    Held Item: King's Rock
    Moveset:
    Strength
    shadow Ball
    Rock Slide
    Submission

Spoiler:- Abnor vs Clair:

Leader Clair was defeated!

Clair: I lost? I don't believe it. there must be some mistake... I won't admit this. I may have lost, but you're still not ready for the pokemon league.

Abnor than traded Flaser with a Time Capsule in order to teach him Double-Edge. Later Abnor went to the Dragon's Cave where this happened:

Wild Magikarp appeared!
    Go! Flaser!
    Flaser Flew up High!
    Magikarp used Splash!
    Flaser used Fly!
    Magikarp fainted!

"For no reason, it jumps and splashes about, making it easy for predators like Pidgeotto to catch it mid-jump." - Silver Pokedex.

A little bit later lvl 32 Flaser defeated lvl 37 Dragonair with his newfound Double-Edge attack.

Abnor than went to Indigo Pleteau and the Victory Road. Stay tuned for battles with the Rival, Elite Four and the Champion.
    Last edited by TheUnnumbered; 23rd March 2013 at 12:11 PM.

I am doing an all fighting type team in Yellow version, started by catching 2 mankeys before brock.

current team 2 primape (lvl 29) and a machoke (lvl 28) after defeating surge (yes there are hm users in the boxes)

Well the fighting monotype in yellow went very well, after defeating surge I worked my way through rock tunnel to lavender then over to saphron to get a hitmonchan, which I used to beat most of the rocket game corner and level it up. then worked my way through pokemon tower in lavender to get the pokeflute, which was needed to get through the bridge to get the super rod to catch my poliwhirl, which was soon evolved into a poliwrath. erika was beaten with relative ease followed by defeating everytrainer that I could get to without surf, then runnin through the safari zone to get surf and strength (also catching a few rare pokemon like scyther pinsir kangaskhan etc for no real reason) I attempted to fight Koga, whose venomoth wiped my with psychic on my first attempt, but I made it through on try 2. after defeating Koga I wandered trough silph beating the whole of team rocket with ease, not really even taking damage except to Blue's kadabra, which was still easily beaten. then I moved on to what should have been the hardest battle for an all fighting team, Sabrina. I clearly over estimated the challlenge she would pose to me with her alakazam, which was defeated easily with my hitmonchan using strength. after this the last 2 gyms were a piece of cake. moving to the elite 4 I had no problems until Lance, 1 or 2 hitting all of the pokemon sent out. lances areodactyl and dragonite gave me some problems, but were still defeated. after that I knew my only issue would be getting the first hit in on Blue's alakazam, which was done with my hitmonchan and my primape. thus ending my fighting monotype challenge.

Final Team:
    Machoke (49) (Karate chop, low kick, rock slide and fire blast)
    Hitmonchan (50) (ice punch, thunder punch, fire punch and strength)
    Primape (51) (karate chop, toxic, low kick and thunderbolt)
    primape (52) (dig, screech, low kick and karate chop)
    poliwrath (54) (surf, blizzard, hypnosis and earthquake)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12