Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

I defeated all of the trainers on the beach and in that little shack for some experience. I then went to the Slateport museum and took out some more red men and saved a man's life, as usual. I made my way north onto Route 110 and defeated all of the trainers there, including my rival. I then went back and defeated the trainers in the Trck House and Route 103. I then made my way into Mauville City. I healed up Kirlia and beat Wally with a few Psychic's. He left and went in the gym.

I took out every gym trainer inside with Psychic. I healed Kirlia again and then took on Wattson. I used Calm Mind three times and then swept his team with Psychic. Magnemite and Voltorb fell to one attack while Magneton took two to faint. I got the gym badge and left the gym.

I immediately went north and skipped every trainer I could along my way to Fallarbor Town. Unfortunately my bad luck made me fight a lot of those trainers. I eventually made it to the town skipped straight past it and continued on. I tried to skip the trainers past Fallarbor Town also but I did fight a Hiker by mistake. After that battle Kirlia evolved into Gardevoir! I entered Meteor Falls and captured the first Pokemon I encountered, a Solrock. I saved after the capture.

Current Team
    Planned Alpha Sapphire Team

@Mevejuma How about Ground? I just thought it would be a challenging Mono, Or maybe Dark.

Credit to Neo Pikachu for the Weavile banner.

How about Rock? EDIT: Beaten to it! Btw, I've nearly beaten Flannery on my Fighting mono on Ruby!
    The Five Region Challenge

Spoiler:- Regions:

I got to Phoebe's room at the Pokemon League, and I challenged her to a battle. She sent out her Dusclops, and I used my Sceptile against it. I was able to beat Dusclops with Leaf Blade, then Phoebe sent out her Banette. I used Cradily against it, and I eventually defeated it with Rock Tomb. Phoebe used her Sableye after that, and I had a hard time beating it since it had no weakness. I eventually used Ludicolo's Surf attack to beat it, and then I had to face off against Phoebe's second Dusclops, which proved to be difficult. I used Sceptile against it, but her Dusclops used Confuse Ray on Sceptile, then it used Ice Beam. Sceptile was too weak to fight back, so I used Cacturne. Its Faint Attack was able to deal a lot of damage, then only Phoebe's second Banette was left. I beat it with Cacturne, and I saved.

Current team:

- Sceptile level 56
    - Ludicolo level 53
    - Breloom level 52
    - Cacturne level 52
    - Tropius level 52
    - Cradily level 52

OK, as promised, here is the next Fighting mono-type update! So, from last time, I headed to Dewford Cave to catch a HM Slave. Keeping with the Fighting theme, I caught a Makuhita and taught it Rock Smash, so I could progress further. I avoided all trainers, so I could catch a Machop on Route 112. I did so and named him Muscle, in memory of the GSC Machop that you got in a trade. Training Muscle was pretty easy, with the second Trick House challenge and the trainers on Cycling Road and, soon, he was Lv25. I trekked west to Verdanturf Town and after completing Risturf Tunnel and collecting HM04 - Strength, I headed back to Mauville and headed north. It was quite enjoyable going round and I soon found myself on the Ash route. On this route, Muscle grew to Lv28 and evolved into Machoke! I continued my trek round and picked up TM28 - Dig just outside Fallarbor Town, before meeting Lanette. I continued to Meteor Falls, where Team Aqua and Magma had a stand-off before revealing that Team Magma had stolen a Meteorite and taken it up Mt. Chimney. I headed out of Meteor Falls, through Rustboro and Risturf Tunnel, all the way to Mt. Chimney. Getting through Team Magma was easy and Maxie wasn't exactly difficult. Firstly, Muscle used Seismic Toss several times to bring down Golbat (Maxie had initially withdrew Mightyena), before Mightyena fell to Muscle's Karate Chop. Finally Smolder KOed Camerupt with Double Kick to finish him off. Maxie scarpered and I moved south, through the Jagged Pass to Lavaridge Town. I healed up, cleared out the gym and returned to Mt. Chimney to fight the trainers and collect the Meteorite I had forgotten. Next it was time for grinding. However, I was already monitoring how I was levelling and soon my Pokemon were Lv33. Flannery was quite easy. Firstly, Smolder defeated Slugma 1 with persistent Double Kicking. Next, Sumo used Smellingsalt to KO Slugma 2. Muscle Digged against Torkoal and two Digs got him down to red health. Sadly, a Sunny Day-powered Overheat and Body Slam were enough to defeat Muscle. However, Flannery had run out of potions by this point and Twig used Mach Punch to defeat Torkoal and claim the experience points! 4 down, 4 to go.
    My team:

Smolder - Combusken Lv33
    Hasty Female
    Quick Attack
    Peck
    Double Kick
    Ember

Twig - Breloom Lv33
    Mild Male
    Mega Drain
    Headbutt
    Mach Punch
    Leech Seed

Sumo - Hariyama Lv33
    Lonely Female
    Tackle
    Smellingsalt
    Vital Throw
    Arm Thrust

Muscle - Machoke Lv33
    Impish Male
    Dig
    Seismic Toss
    Vital Throw
    Karate Chop

The next update will be once I've beaten Norman. That won't take very long as I've already done most of the grinding. Next, I'll update LG Bug mono once I've beaten Koga. Keep posting!

So, as PokeTrainerJay suggested, I am now undergoing a Ground monotype on Emerald. This meant, obviously, that I would choose Mudkip as my starter, seeing as he evolves into the Water/Ground Swampert. With Mudkip chosen, I headed north to beat my rival, and get some Poke Balls and a Pokedex, before heading pretty much non-stop to Rustboro. No need to catch Pokemon, or train on wild Pokemon, I just went through defeating every trainer on the way.

When I arrived at Rustboro, Mudkip was level 13, so I challenged the gym straight away. Being a Rock gym, Mudkip had no problems, so he swept the trainers and Roxanne to reach level 16 and evolve into Marshtomp. Heading out, Team Aqua was causing trouble, so I gave chase to the grunt and captured a Nincada on the way - for Cutting purposes - before confronting him in Rusturf Tunnel and smacking him.

Once the business with Mr Stone was sorted, I headed to Dewford Town - skipping the rival battle - and went straight up to Granite Cave to capture a Geodude and deliver the letter to Steven. With this done, I will next head back to Rustboro to train Geodude on some wild Pokemon and trainers, before challenging Dewford gym with Marshtomp.

Current Team

^I'm glad you took my idea. I can't wait to see what it turns out like.

I trained up Solrock against the trainers and wild Pokemon outside of Meteor Falls. Eventually I went back inside Meteor Falls and found Team Magma inside talking about the meteorites but Team Aqua showed up and gave chase to the fleeing Magma members. I exited the cave north of Rustboro and beat the few trainers there. When I arrived in Rustboro I went and got the Exp Share and then went through the Rusturf Tunnel. I got the Strength HM for destroying a rock and then went back to Mauville. I smashed the rock north of Mauville and went to Mt Chimney.

After riding the cable car to the top I came across Team Magma and Team Aqua fighting each other. Solrock defeated a few lone Magma grunts before I took on Maxie. I slapped the Exp Share on Solrock and then started the battle with Gardevoir in the lead. Mightyena fell to 2 Shock Wave's, Golbat went down by a Psychic, and then Camerupt fell thanks to another Psychic. Both teams fled the area so I headed south towards Lavaridge. When I arrived in Lavaridge I explored the small town and found a woman who gave me an egg. I ran around and soon the egg hatched into a Wynaut, so I decided to add the newly hatched Pokemon to my team. I gave it the Exp Share and saved before entering the gym.

Current Team

A relatively short update, seeing as there's not much between the first and second gyms. I trained Geodude around the Rustboro area until he had reached about level 15, before heading back down to Dewford. I trained him some more on the two Fishermen, and he learned Magnitude - a move that would be most helpful in the gym.

Taking it in turns - though it was mostly Geodude - Marshtomp and Geodude took out the trainers in Brawly's gym, before I healed to take on Brawly himself. This battle had an unlikely saviour. Geodude soloed Meditite and Machop with no problems, though he was down to orange health. I switched to Marshtomp for Makuhita, but he was defeated due to Brawly healing it. It was down to Geodude, who got in a Magnitude after Brawly healed once more. I thought this was it, but Makuhita was going to use Vital Throw, so Geodude went first and hit a Magnitude 8, fainting Makuhita. Geodude had practically soloed Brawly...didn't see that one coming.

Up next, Slateport Beach, Slateport Museum and Mauville City - stay tuned!

Current Team

I healed my Pokemon before leaving Phoebe's room, then I made my way towards Glacia's room. I entered it, and then after talking a bit, we began to battle. She sent out her Glalie first, but I was prepared for it. I sent out my Breloom, and I had it use Brick Break against Glalie. To my surprise, that was all it took to defeat Glalie, and then Glacia sent out her first Sealeo. I wasn't nervous though, as I had the advantage in terms of type. I used Cacturne's Needle Arm against Sealeo, and it fainted. I then used Ludicolo against Glacia's second Sealeo, and it also lost after taking just one hit. Glacia sent out her Walrein next, and I used Sceptile. I managed to score a critical hit Leaf Blade attack, which defeated Walrein. I then used Breloom once more against Glacia's second Glalie, and I defeated it with Brick Break.

Current team:

- Sceptile level 56
    - Ludicolo level 53
    - Breloom level 53
    - Cacturne level 53
    - Tropius level 52
    - Cradily level 52

@The 4th KIRA, how is Cradily? I've always meant to train one but I just never got around to it.

I decided to train Wynaut on a few trainers atop Mt Chimney and on the Jagged Pass before entering the gym. Since Wynaut was at Lv14 after all of that I just fought some wild Pokemon until it hit Lv15 and evolved into Wobbuffet! I headed into the gym and defeated all of the trainers with Solrock while Wobbuffet was getting some more experience thanks to the Exp Share. Soon I challenged Flannery. Solrock defeated both of her Slugma's with Rock Throw. Torkoal was a little more difficult and took out Solrock because Flannery kept healing it. Gardevoir went in and finished it off with a Psychic to win me my 4th badge!

Upon exiting the gym May showed up and gave me the Go Goggles. I immediately headed to the desert and captured a Baltoy! I then headed back to Mauville and defeated the few trainers east of the city. I plan on spending a lot of time training my team before the battle with Norman.

Current Team

^

You've caught up with my Fighting mono! Which shows how slow I'm going...
    Anyway, I've nearly beaten Koga on LG Bug, I'm just overtraining as usual. You'll see how much I've overtrained when I update!

EDIT: I have now beaten Koga! This is just a short update, btw. So, from last time I healed up, trekked to Lavender Town and journeyed south. Venonat was found in the first section of grass I found (behind the Cut area) and I caught one and named it Violet. Training it was tedious, it was difficult at first, but then it grew to Lv31 and evolved into Venomoth, from there onwards it was was simple to train and soon it was Lv43, on par with my other Pokemon. So, I journeyed south and then west to Fuchsia. I defeated all trainers en route to Fuchsia and when I got there, I beat the trainers to the south and in Koga's gym, before clearing out Cycling Road. I Cut through the section at the top of Cycling Road to get HM02 - Fly, before completing some serious training. I grinded my Pokemon to Level 50, because I need my Pokemon as high level as possible for Blaine. At level 50, I was able to take on Koga. Firstly, Crux used Rock Slide on Koffing 1. Koga healed, but two Vicegrip killed him. Next Violet eased past Muk with two Psybeams, before Sporax used Slash on Koffing 2. Finally, Harmony Psybeamed Weezing to death. Blaine next up!
    My team:

Harmony - Butterfree Lv50
    Rash Male
    Psybeam
    Silver Wind
    Sleep Powder
    Gust

Apex - Beedrill Lv50
    Bashful Female
    Toxic
    Aerial Ace
    Twineedle
    Endeavor

Sporax - Parasect Lv50
    Docile Male
    Slash
    Dig
    Giga Drain
    Spore

Crux - Pinsir Lv50
    Lax Female
    Brick Break
    Rock Slide
    Vicegrip
    Submission

Violet - Venomoth Lv50
    Jolly Female
    Psybeam
    Gust
    Sleep Powder
    Return

Blaine next and that won't be very fun. Still, my Pokemon should be around Lv55 then, so hopefully a combination of sleep and powerful moves will be enough to take him out. Not looking forward to facing Fire Blast, though.
    I'll next be updating Fighting mono on Ruby, as I don't need to do much before I beat Norman. Keep posting, people!
    Last edited by Shiny Espeon0429; 18th September 2011 at 3:43 PM.

Moving up through the Slateport Beach was a piece of cake, as Marshtomp and Geodude were well trained. The same story applied for the Museum, as the Aqua Grunts were no match for my Pokemon.

Moving north, however, I saved in front of my rival, ready to challenge him. It was stupidly difficult. Grovyle easily defeated both Marshtomp and Geodude, so I had to go back and train them up on the Trick House and Route 102. I attempted again. Still, I was defeated. There was only one thing for it, so I trained Marshtomp up to level 25, and used Mud Shot on his Grovyle to slow it down and get a nice STAB in the process. At level 25, this did the trick, so I was able to defeat Brendan and finally move onto Mauville City.

Geodude soloed Wally and the entire of Mauville gym quite easily, and evolved to Graveler during the final trainer battle inside the gym. Using my newly evolved Graveler, I could now spam Magnitude in the battle with Wattson until I inevitably won. Now to move north once more, capture my next team member, and take on Team Magma upon Mt. Chimney.

Current Team

I healed my Pokemon after battling against Glacia, and then I moved on to Drake's room. I challenged Drake to a battle, and he sent out his Shelgon first, and I used Sceptile. Shelgon used Protect when I had Sceptile use Dragon Claw, and that made me angry. I finally hit it with Dragon Claw, but it took two hits to defeat it. I used Cradily against Drake's Altaria, and I defeated it with Rock Tomb. After that, Drake sent out his first Flygon, and I used Ludicolo against it. I managed to score a good Surf attack, which cut Flygon's HP in half. After I defeated Flygon with another Surf attack, I sent out my Sceptile to deal with Drake's second Flygon. Leaf Blade was enough to defeat it, but then I had to face Salamence. Sceptile's Dragon Claw attack wasn't enough, so I had to use Cradily's Rock Tomb to beat it.

Current team:

- Sceptile level 57
    - Ludicolo level 54
    - Breloom level 53
    - Cacturne level 53
    - Tropius level 52
    - Cradily level 53

Im thinking of doing a water type mono on Emerald with my team maybe being

Wailord
    Walrein
    Relicanth
    Sharpedo
    Swampert
    Pelliper

What do you guys think? Yes or no?

Spoiler:- Credit:

Quote Originally Posted by Remorph View Post
    Original151Rocks is an exception. He is reliable, and he battles well.

^ Not so long ago, I did a water mono, but I only had three of those members, so I'm not to sure. I think that Water will be an easy challenge, but also enjoyable, so its up to you. Personally, I would go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Original151Rocks View Post
    Im thinking of doing a water type mono on Emerald with my team maybe being

Wailord
    Walrein
    Relicanth
    Sharpedo
    Swampert
    Pelliper

What do you guys think? Yes or no?
    I would personally take out someone for Ludicolo, seeing as having the part grass typing can come in quite handy! Maybe Wailord? A good tactic for monotype challenges is to have as many dual-types as possible to expand your options and what have you, so Wailord being pure Water may be worth swapping for Ludicolo.

^I also think you should swap someone for Starmie as it comes in very handy.

hi i am going to do a monotype on either emerald or leaf green since im board of doing my platinum scramble. i was thinking steel or bug.
    btw this is my first monotype.

Quote Originally Posted by dainswfc View Post
    hi i am going to do a monotype on either emerald or leaf green since im board of doing my platinum scramble. i was thinking steel or bug.
    btw this is my first monotype.
    Steel would be hard as in Emerald you can only get Magneton and Skamory I believe before the Elite 4, There might be some others. Bug would probably be better but it's up to you and I'm not sure about Steel types in LG.

Also seeing as I am getting bored of doing a Fire Mono and just training Fire types, I was thinking of restarting and doing a Poison Mono?

My team so far would be:
    - Venusaur
    - Crobat
    - Nidoking/Nidoqueen
    - Tentacruel?

I need some other Pokemon as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeTrainerJay View Post
    Steel would be hard as in Emerald you can only get Magneton and Skamory I believe before the Elite 4, There might be some others. Bug would probably be better but it's up to you and I'm not sure about Steel types in LG.

Also seeing as I am getting bored of doing a Fire Mono and just training Fire types, I was thinking of restarting and doing a Poison Mono?

My team so far would be:
    - Venusaur
    - Crobat
    - Nidoking/Nidoqueen
    - Tentacruel?

I need some other Pokemon as well.
    Also Aggron.

What game is it for? FR/LG? Weezing, and Gengar would be good throw ins. Gengar for the ghost typing and weeping for levitate. Beedrill/Venomoth also offer more type coverage than Weezing, but with the lack of bug moves in this gen, I might still advise Weezing.
    SoulSilver BQ

Wonderful Banner by Golden Jet!!!!!
    Chapter 9 is up!! (Still Shocking!)

Heading north out of Mauville, I soon encountered my next team member - Numel. I quickly captured it and trained it on Cycling Road and the route east of Mauville, leaving the western route, and as many trainers as possible between Mauville and Meteor Falls for the next 3 captures I shall be making at the same time.

I found Team Magma in Meteor Falls, and then Team Aqua showed up as well, so I felt bad that I didn't have any kind of costume to join in with them. I gave chase and found them all battling atop Mt. Chimney, but my ground team soon made quick work of Team Magma, and they fled. I left all the trainers in Jagged Pass as well, because with 3 new Pokemon to train soon, I'm going to need plenty of trainers.

In the Lavaridge gym, Numel defeated all of the trainers with Magnitude, and I soon faced Flannery for the easiest battle I think I've ever had with her. My Numel got a OHKO with Magnitude on her Numel, before Graveler did the same with Slugma. Marshtomp got a 2HKO on Camerupt with Water Gun, successfully fighting through an Attract, before Numel got knocked out by Torkoal, so I sent out Graveler to finish the job. Easy.

Next up for me will be 3 captures in the desert, a lot of training, and then Petalburg gym.

Current Team

@Charoshi. I am doing it on FR and I am unable to get Gengar as I don't have access to trading. I am also not very keen on Weezing but I was thinking about using Venomoth.

EDIT: What about Ariados? I don't see many people using those and judging by it's Base stats I understand why o.o
    Last edited by PokeTrainerJay; 20th September 2011 at 5:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeTrainerJay View Post
    @Charoshi. I am doing it on FR and I am unable to get Gengar as I don't have access to trading. I am also not very keen on Weezing but I was thinking about using Venomoth.

EDIT: What about Ariados? I don't see many people using those and judging by it's Base stats I understand why o.o
    If you saw with my FR Poison monotype, I used: Venusaur, Nidoking, Arbok, Haunter, Venomoth and Tentacruel.

Haunter was pretty sweet with Dream Eater, though Shadow Ball never seemed to work that well, and Venomoth is quite valuable for Sleep/Poison powder and Psychic. Nidoking was a machine, and I'm sure Nidoqueen would be equally good, and Arbok was nothing special. Venusaur and Tentacruel were both quite valuable though.

Yeah I remember your Mono, Kind of the reason I might do one.

So my team will be:
    - Venusaur
    - Crobat
    - Tentacruel
    - Nidoking
    - Venomoth
    - ?

I'm not sure about Haunter in the last spot as I don't like having non-fully evolved Pokemon on my team. I was thinking maybe Ariados, Victreebel or Vileplume?

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast