Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

A Watery Grave:

I have reached Petalburg about to... trigger the wally event. My team is:

Tsunami (Mudkip) Lv.10

Wingull Lv.10

Lotad Lv.10

Next I am hunting for Marill

"Well I'm walking by the red light
    Gonna find me all that I'm owed
    And I know where I'm gonna be then
    When the red light's gonna shine on me"

I've made the decision of starting a Ground monotype in Pokémon Emerald

in which my final team will be.

Swampert
    Rhydon
    Camerupt
    Flygon
    Claydol

I'm having trouble deciding a sixth team member, I've got two options Sandslash or Donphan, which should I choose?

I just started a Normal monotype on Ruby. I'm realizing how much I love the Normal types in gen 3.

Team as of now is
    Slakoth "IOB" lv. 16
    Whismur "MOP" lv. 19
    Skitty "BHOLA" lv. 17
    Zigzagoon "JOGURT" lv. 17
    Taillow [Forgot to nickname, will do that later] lv. 17
    Nincada Slave

Beat the first two gyms with minor difficulty, actually. Skitty was a major asset with Sing, Attract, and Tail whip, and I used her to my advantage and was able to take down Nosepass relatively easily and Makuhita with a Double Slap.

Zigzagoon's Pickup ability is awesome. I've already gotten 2 Nuggets, 2 Rare Candies, and a ton of Super Potions.

Quote Originally Posted by Chandelurefan1 View Post
    I've made the decision of starting a Ground monotype in Pokémon Emerald

in which my final team will be.

Swampert
    Rhydon
    Camerupt
    Flygon
    Claydol

I'm having trouble deciding a sixth team member, I've got two options Sandslash or Donphan, which should I choose?
    IIRC You can't get Phanpy until postgame so I'd go with Sandslash.
    Last edited by poix_the_yak; 13th August 2013 at 1:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by poix_the_yak View Post
    IIRC You can't get Phanpy until postgame so I'd go with Sandslash.

You can actually get Phanpy in Area 4 of the Safari Zone, which requires the Acro Bike to go to. Area 5 and 6 are the areas unlocked after post game, so Donphan is a viable choice. However which would be better for the team Sandslash or Donphan.

By the way I've just defeated Roxanne and my Marshtomp is now level 18

Huh, I've never seen a Phanpy in the game before. I'd still go for Sandslash, though.

Normal monotype is going great. I haven't really had any trouble with the gym leaders and I just beat Winona with ease. I picked up a Castform and it's exceeding my expectations.

"JOGURT" - 33, FurySwipes/Headbutt/Surf/SandAttack
    "MNOOTY" - 34, Fly/QuickAttack/SteelWing/Endeavor
    "IOB" - 35, Slash/Yawn/RockSmash/Thunderbolt
    "MOP" - 34, Strength/IceBeam/Supersonic/Howl
    "BHOLA" - 35, Doubleslap/Sing/Attract/FaintAttack
    "FUNK DEMON" - 34, PowderSnow/RainDance/SunnyDay/WeatherBall

I left Resort Gorgeous after finding Selphy at Lost Cave and I headed back south to the main island. I healed my Pokemon at the local Pokemon Center and then I went to Five Isle Meadow. Since I couldn't access the Rocket Warehouse yet without the passwords, I Surfed over to the Memorial Pillar area and I battled some trainers around there. After visiting the memorial, I headed back to Five Island and I decided to take the Seagallop ferry to the next island. I arrived at the port in Six Island and I bought some items at the local Pokemon Center. I then made my way into the Water Path and I battled some trainers in the area. I then entered my real destination: Ruin Valley. There were Hikers and Ruin Maniacs around and I battled them in order to make my Pokemon stronger. I headed towards the Dotted Hole and after using Cut to open the door, I headed down to the bottom and saved.

- Blastoise level 59
    - Gyarados level 56
    - Vaporeon level 56
    - Lapras level 56
    - Slowbro level 55
    - Dewgong level 55

Hi,

I'm going to do a monotype run in ruby but need help on choosing type. It's either

Dark
    Phsycic
    Fighting

Any feedback is much appreciated.

As soon as I tried to retrieve the Sapphire at the Dotted Hole some Team Rocket scientist appeared and took it himself. In order to reclaim the Sapphire I had to visit the Team Rocket Warehouse at Five Isle Meadow, so I left the Dotted Hole and I took the Seagallop ferry to Five Island again. I wandered over to the Rocket Warehouse and I was able to enter it now that I had the passwords to it. I had to navigate around the warehouse which was made difficult by the fact that the floors had spin tiles. I also battled some Team Rocket grunts and I eventually battled against the female Team Rocket Admin. I used Gyarados against her Muk, Blastoise against her Arbok and finally Dewgong against her Vileplume and I saved.

- Blastoise level 59
    - Gyarados level 57
    - Vaporeon level 56
    - Lapras level 56
    - Slowbro level 55
    - Dewgong level 55

I've been doing an Electric-type run through Ruby recently. I basically soloed with Mudkip until I delivered the letter to Steven, then I caught Electrike and Plusle. They did most of the work until I did the New Mauville sidequest, when I finally caught my next teammate, Magnemite. I kept Plusle until I got to the Safari Zone, where I got a physical attacking Pikachu. Plusle at that point was boxed. After the Psychic duo, I dove and caught my final teammate, Chinchou! I'm training the team for Wallace now. Here's the team:

Canis Lv. 43
    Thunderbolt
    Bite
    Hidden Power Grass (very lucky with this)
    Thunder Wave

Current Lv. 43
    Thunderbolt
    Sonicboom
    Reflect
    Thunder Wave

Sparky Lv. 43
    Thunderbolt
    Strength
    Brick Break
    Dig

Angler Lv. 43
    Spark
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Confuse Ray

I am the champion of the Hoenn region! I fried Wallace with my Electric-types and got everyone up to level 50 for the Elite Four.
    Sidney: Set up Rain Dance with Angler, and either Surfed or Brick Breaked (Broke?) everyone into submission.
    Phoebe: Another Rain Dance, then Surf or Canis' Bite did her in.
    Glacia: Had a weather war with her first Glalie until brute forcing it with Thunderbolt. The rest fell to Canis or Sparky.
    Drake: Ice Beam. Next.
    Steven: Failed the first attempt because he likes Earthquake apparently. The next attempt went a bit better due to a critical Surf on Metagross and having Angler survive another Earthquake from Armaldo.

The champion's team:

Canis (Nuked the early game and still hit hard later on) Lv. 51
    Thunder
    Bite
    Hidden Power Grass
    Thunder Wave

Current (LVP- Just couldn't do much outside of Thunderbolt) Lv. 50
    Thunderbolt
    Tri-Attack
    Reflect
    Toxic

Sparky (Only physical attacker which was cool) Lv. 51
    Thunderbolt
    Strength
    Brick Break
    Dig

Angler (MVP- Dragon slayer and overall very bulky) Lv. 52
    Thunderbolt
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Rain Dance

After beating the female Team Rocket Admin I challenged the male Team Rocket admin. I used Dewgong against his Golbat, then my Blastoise against his Weezing. I defeated Weezing with Surf and I used Lapras against Houndoom. I defeated it with Waterfall and the Team Rocket Admin fled afterwards. The only person left in the Rocket Warehouse was Scientist Gideon, the guy who snatched the Sapphire from the Dotted Hole before I could get it. I battled him and I used Slowbro and Vaporeon against his Voltorb, Electrode and Magnemite. I then used Blastoise against his Magneton and Porygon. I got the Sapphire back from him and I left the warehouse. I took the Seagallop to One Island and I gave Celio the Sapphire.

- Blastoise level 60
    - Gyarados level 57
    - Vaporeon level 57
    - Lapras level 56
    - Slowbro level 55
    - Dewgong level 56

At first I did a bug monotype run, went as far as Mauville but then I ragequitted when I found out that there's no Surskit in Emerald. So I decided to do one in Fire Red, and the type I chose was rock.

So, started out in Pallet Town as a girl named Amber to fit the type well. Looking forward for that Aerodactyl fossil

So I chose Bulbasaur so I can have type advantage against my rival's Charmander. I solo'd with it, defeated the first gym while avoiding as many trainers as I can until I was at Mt. Moon and caught a Geodude! We say goodbye to Bulbasaur and started training up until it's time to be on our way again. So this is my team:

Fluffy, level 18
    F - Naďve

After visiting One Island again and giving Celio the Sapphire key item, I headed out to the port there on One Island and I took the Seagallop ferry back to Six Island. I wanted to battle against the trainers at Ruin Valley against for the experience, then I went to the Six Island Pokemon Center and healed my Pokemon there. There was only one island left that I hadn't visited, so I went and took the Seagallop ferry to Seven Island next. I arrived there and I visited the Poke Mart upon arrival, then I went north and I battled a couple of Psychics in the area. I headed south again and I entered Sevault Canyon and I battled more trainers as I wandered through the tall grass there. I eventually arrived at the the center and saved.

- Blastoise level 60
    - Gyarados level 58
    - Vaporeon level 58
    - Lapras level 57
    - Slowbro level 56
    - Dewgong level 56

So after reading all the other mono-types around here, I thought: 'Why not do one myself?' And after some thinking and asking the opinion of another person, I figured out I would be doing the Normal-type! So I started of, caught a Lonely Rattata named Joey and ditched my Starter Squirtle. Next up, I spent almost an hour searching for a Adamant Spearow when I finally found a Brave one. Caught it, and trained to lvl 10 before I challenged my Rival. Easy-Peasy, and on to the Gym of Brock. Now desspiratly need some more levelling, else I won't be able to make it.

Rattata - Joey - Level 14
    Spearow - Kenya - Level 14

And yes, both are named to something in GSC/HGSS respectively
    VM or PM to join, members are always appreciated
    Made by GoggleWaddleDee
    Made by Cloneydew2000 ((click to go to his page))
    Viewing all pokemon anime episodes ((main episodes)). Last episode watched: 040 : The Battling Eevee Brothers

I continued to move around Sevault Canyon on Seven Island and I battled many wild Pokemon in the area as well as trainers. I entered the Tanoby Key while I wandered around the canyon and I pushed some boulders around and unlocked the Unown at the Tanoby Chambers. I headed out to Sevault Canyon once again afterwards and I headed south and battled even more trainers. I eventually found a house and I did the "Chansey Dance" and healed my Pokemon inside. I headed back out and went towards the southern coast. I Surfed around to the various ruins along the water and I battled a few trainers on the outside and then I entered the chambers and I encountered different Unown and saved.

- Blastoise level 60
    - Gyarados level 58
    - Vaporeon level 58
    - Lapras level 58
    - Slowbro level 57
    - Dewgong level 56

I trained my Joey to level 16, and I felt like I could defeat Brock. So I challenged him to a battle. Defeated Geodude after some Hyper Fangs, then lowered Onix's Defense with Kenya while he misses Rock Tombs, and I finish with Hyper Fangs. Next, I caught a Docile Clefairy named Luna, and trained her a bit. Taught her Mega Punch, trained everybody to level 20, evolving Kenya and Joey in the process. Joey was level 22 when I challenged Misty, and basically just Solo-ed her. I taught Water Pulse to my Luna, went out and caught a Hardy Meowth on route 5, nicknamed Noppes, after one of my parents cats from years ago. I then saved the game.

Raticate - Joey - Level 22
    Fearow - Kenya - Level 21
    Clefairy - Luna - Level 21
    Meowth - Noppes - Level 16
    Made by GoggleWaddleDee
    Viewing all pokemon anime episodes ((main episodes)). Last episode watched: 040 : The Battling Eevee Brothers

After battling many wild Unown around the various Tanoby Ruins south of Sevault Canyon, I flew back to Seven Island and I headed over to the Pokemon Center to heal my Pokemon. I then headed to the local port and took the Seagallop ferry to Kanto again and I flew to Cerulean City and I headed north towards Route 24. I crossed Nugget Bridge and I Surfed down a stream until I arrived at the entrance to Cerulean Cave. Once inside, I wandered around in order to locate Mewtwo's lair. I battled various wild Pokemon while I trekked through the cavern and that was good for leveling up my Pokemon, then after using Rock Smash a few times and Surfing again, I encountered Mewtwo and I saved before battling.

- Blastoise level 61
    - Gyarados level 59
    - Vaporeon level 58
    - Lapras level 58
    - Slowbro level 58
    - Dewgong level 56

I am putting my Normal type on a hold for a while, and started a Poison monotype. Not on FRLG, but on Ruby!

My team will eventually look like this probably:

Dustox
    Tentacruel
    Crobat
    Vileplume
    Weezing
    Swalot

Any improvements/recommendations for me?
    Made by GoggleWaddleDee

I challenged Mewtwo and captured it after chucking Ultra Balls at it for like 20 minutes straight. I left the Cerulean Cave afterwards and visited the Cerulean City Pokemon Center to heal my Pokemon. I headed back outside and wandered south to Saffron City, then I went east to Celadon City. I visited the local Department Store there and purchased some items, then I headed south to Vermilion City and took the Seagallop ferry to Four Island. I visited the Pokemon Day Care and then I headed back to the port after leaving some Pokemon there to level up. I went to Five Island next and headed north to Resort Gorgeous. I arrived there after Surfing and I used my Vs. Seeker and battled against trainers for money.

- Blastoise level 61
    - Gyarados level 59
    - Vaporeon level 59
    - Lapras level 59
    - Slowbro level 58
    - Dewgong level 56

I've decided to do a Rock LeafGreen mono-type. Seeing as 5/6 Gen 1 Rock Pokemon have a 4x weakness to grass, I reckon it'll be a big challenge.

My team will be

- Omastar
    - Graveler
    - Onix
    - Rhydon
    - Kabutops
    - Aerodactyl

In order to get both of the fossils, I'm going to shark Omanyte once I get Pokeballs. This way, I won't have to wait for Mt. Moon to properly start as well! I'll update after Misty!
    Last edited by Shiny Espeon0429; 1st March 2014 at 11:44 PM.
    The Five Region Challenge

Spoiler:- Regions:

Since I had pretty much completed my previous monotype challenge, I decided to start a Water monotype challenge on Sapphire version this time. I chose to play as the male character and after naming myself, I exited the moving truck and arrived at my new home in Littleroot Town. I headed inside my house and up to my room to set the clock, then I headed back downstairs and spoke to my mother. I left the house and visited Professor Birch's house next and met his daughter May there. I wandered north afterwards and I spotted Professor Birch being chased by a wild Poochyena. I chose a Mudkip from his bag and I battled and beat the Poochyena. I then returned to Littleroot Town and I visited Prof. Birch's lab next.

- Mudkip Lv.5

Well, I've already managed to beat Misty. So, I started off the game, called my self Stoney and my rival Grass (Yeah, I know, not very inventive.) I took the potion from my PC and went north of Pallet. I picked Bulbasaur as my starter, so I had that nice Charizard to face! I headed north, collected Oak's Parcel and delivered it to Oak. I took the Pokeballs and set up an Omanyte chance encounter with an Emulator Gameshark. It took me a while, but finally I caught an Omanyte. I named it Helix in honour of Twitch Plays Pokemon's successful run today! I boxed the Bulbasaur and trained Helix to Lv10 before taking on Grass at Route 22. I lost the first time as Helix only because he has one attacking move until Lv13 and its the 10 Damage Constrict. I forgot to buy potions and Helix's luck ran out v Charmander. Luckily, though, Helix secured the victory the second time around. After Grass departed, I trained Helix up to Lv13 and was able to take on Viridian Forest with much more ease now that he knew Bite. Once I got to Pewter City and had beaten Brock's trainer, Helix was Lv15 and ready for the gym. He was easily able to 2HKO both Geodude and Onix with Bite to secure my first badge!
    After teaching Helix Rock Tomb, I healed up and headed east towards Mt. Moon. I beat as few trainers as possible, but Helix still leveled up to Lv17 in the process. Once I got to Mt. Moon, I searched for a few seconds and found a Geodude, which I easily caught and named Boulder. Training Boulder up to Lv17 was much easier than Helix, especially with all the Route 3 trainers and soon I was ready to continue on. Mt. Moon was easy enough and Boulder swept the Super Nerd at the end. I made sure that I picked the Dome Fossil so that later I could get Kabuto. I exited to Cerulean, but not before teaching Boulder Mega Punch first.
    I thought I might be able to beat Misty immediately, but sadly, Water Pulse OHKOed Boulder and Starmie was just too strong for Helix. Instead I left and traversed north where, of course, I ran into Grass. Boulder, thankfully swept his team, defeating Pidgeotto with Rock Throw, Charmeleon with Magnitude and Rattata and Abra with Mega Punch. Grass gave me the Fame Checker and dispersed, leaving me to head north and sweeping Nugget Bridge. I continued on to Bill's Cottage and picked up the SS Ticket before heading south to Cerulean. I was able to defeat the Dig trainer, but saved the Dig TM for the future, which was a good move as Boulder had Magnitude and Helix had Mud Shot. I took the underground path route and headed south to Vermilion City, where I healed up and collected the VS Seeker and Old Rod. Once everyone was trained to Lv26, I swept the SS Anne, teaching Boulder Brick Break along the way and took on Grass with Helix able to sweep him. Firstly, he used Rock Tomb on Pidgeotto, before using Bite on Kadabra, then Water Gun on Charmeleon and Bite on Raticate. Grass left and I retrieved HM01 from the Cut Master. I left the SS Anne and traveled back to Cerulean City to try to beat Misty for the second time with my Pokemon at Lv29.
    Firstly, I sent out Boulder v Staryu. I thought Boulder would be faster than Staryu this time but sadly not. Luckily for me, Staryu used Harden. This Harden wasn't enough to protect it from Brick Break which OHKOed it. I switched to Helix for Starmie and prayed Bite would be enough. It didn't quite KO it, but luckily, it was able to 2HKO Starmie and with Water Pulse only doing a third damage, I was able to win! I taught Helix Water Pulse in celebration!
    My team:

Helix - Omanyte Lv29
    Jolly Male
    Bite
    Rock Tomb
    Water Pulse
    Mud Shot

Boulder - Graveler Lv29
    Jolly Female
    Rock Throw
    Magnitude
    Mega Punch
    Brick Break

Well, I'll probably update after reaching Lavender Town. It is my intention not to fight Erica until I have Aerodactyl, so that'll be fun! See you next time!

I left Professor Birch's Lab after speaking to him and I left to Route 101. I battled some wild Wurmple and Zigzagoon to level up my Mudkip. I wandered north some more until I arrived in Oldale Town. I healed my Mudkip at the local Pokemon Center and then I obtained a free Potion when I headed over to the Poke Mart. I entered some houses there in Oldale Town and then I went further north to Route 103. I battled more wild Pokemon in that area and as I headed towards some trees, I encountered May again and we battled. I used Mudkip against her Treecko and I defeated it. I headed back south to Oldale Town to heal my Pokemon, then I went back to Littleroot Town and got the Pokedex from Professor Birch.

- Mudkip Lv. 8

I begin the challenge with the psychic type and name trainer red "psychic" instead
    first pokemon for that should be slowpoke

Alright, I've finally reached Lavender Town, so I'll let you know what happened. From last time, I went through the underground path and went straight to Vermilion Gym where I defeated the trainers and trained Helix and Boulder to Lv30. I healed up and returned to the gym. It took me about 6 attempts, as I kept getting unlucky in the switch puzzle, but finally I shut off his lazors and took him on. It was an easy battle, unsurprisingly! Helix took out Voltorb and Pikachu with Mud Shot, before I switched to Boulder who OHKOed Raichu with Magnitude, in spite of Raichu using Double Team first. I took the Thunderbadge and exited the gym and, after getting the Bike Voucher, decided to collect my third Team Member before doing anything else. So I headed north, back through the underground path and I bought several Pokeballs and the Bike before making a beeline for Rock Tunnel beating as few trainers as possible.
    In Rock Tunnel, I searched for an Onix for a while and, though it took a while to capture, I managed to get it and nickname him Igneous. I exited Rock Tunnel and trained him to Lv31 using the trainers and the VS Seeker outside of Rock Tunnel. I returned to Vermilion City and cleared Route east of the city, before capturing about five Pokemon so I could get Flash. I dashed through Rock Tunnel, collected the Old Amber Fossil and HM05 - Flash, before heading back to Vermilion and teaching my HM Slave (Bulbasaur) Flash and dashing to Rock Tunnel.
    Rock Tunnel was easy enough and soon, I was outside of Lavender Town. After beating all the trainers, I healed up and saved.
    My team:

Helix - Omanyte Lv33
    Jolly Male
    Water Pulse
    Rock Tomb
    Bite
    Mud Shot

Boulder - Graveler Lv34
    Jolly Female
    Rock Throw
    Magnitude
    Mega Punch
    Brick Break

Igneous - Onix Lv34
    Hardy Male
    Rock Throw
    Dig
    Dragonbreath
    Tackle

I'll hopefully update after beating Koga (As I'm avoiding Erica for as long as possible.

Meanwhile on FR, I'm going to start a Psychic Mono-type. As I really want to use Slowbro, I'm going to Shark one at the start as this'll help me get to the Abra Asap.

My team will be:

~ Slowbro
    ~ Kadabra
    ~ Hypno
    ~ Exeggutor
    ~ Jynx
    ~ Starmie

I'll probably update after Misty or something.

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast