Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: 3rd Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

~ Rain Badge ~
        Spoiler:

~ Elite Four ~
        Spoiler:

~ Final Team ~

~ Argognat - MVP ~
        Spoiler:

Argognat is the most veteran member of my team, and turned out to be one of the most useful by a longshot. Though I kept her from evolving for a whole 8 levels, she definitely carried her weight against Maxie and Flannery, and it was a shame to lose that Water-typing upon evolving. Argognat was basically my entire Special game, and was useful against the Physical Walls the rest of my team couldn’t touch. Ice Beam was a huge boost for her, helping her take down not one but two of Drake’s Pokemon, along with Sidney’s Cacturne and weakening a few of Phoebe’s ghosts. Masquerain may not be the most impressive Pokemon, but she added something really important on my team, and was a lot of fun to use.

~ Nils ~
        Spoiler:

One of the earlier members of my team, Nils carried a lot of weight of the team through the first four badges, thanks to being the sturdiest evolved Pokemon on my team. Nils was near untouchable in certain battles, thanks to Double Team, and up until I picked up Betsy and Minerva, was my strongest attacking force, boosted by Swords Dance. Later on in the game, Nils lost some of his use because of getting stronger Pokemon and his frail defenses. However, he was still an important member of the team, and I doubt I could have gotten far in the game without him.

~ Ninian ~
        Spoiler:

Ninian was an interesting member of my team. Obviously, her strategy revolved entirely around her ability, and she played totally differently from her brother, even early on when they shared their whole moveset. Unlike Nils, Ninian had her uses sporadically throughout the whole game. Her ability made her untouchable against Wallace, which I severely abused. Additionally, the less-than-perfect A.I. of the computer allowed me to win against Tate & Liza, and having Shadow Ball was very nice. All in all, Shedinja is the ultimate Glass Cannon, and is quite fun to use.

~ Aegis ~
        Spoiler:

Aegis was one of the most useful members of my team in the end game, and was a close second to being MVP. He had the most variety in his attack typings, which made him very versatile, and his wonderful stats made him good in battle, even just for stalling the opponent’s PP out. He took out most of Steven’s team, which would have been near-impossible without him. However, Aegis didn’t get MVP for a few reasons. One, as an Anorith, he saw limited use because of both a late evolution level and a lack of good moves. The other big problem with Aegis was his low PP, making his main STAB move, AncientPower, very high maintenance. Brick Break was a good attack for him since it had higher PP than his other moves. Aegis was well worth using, and I probably couldn’t have beaten the game without him.

~ Betsy - LVP ~
        Spoiler:

Up until the Elite Four, I actually preferred Betsy to Minerva. Betsy was bulkier and had half the weaknesses, and could actually stand up to Flying types. Betsy came at a perfect time, as Nils was starting to lack in his Attack, and Aegis hadn’t yet evolved, so her high Attack made her a quick staple. However, once I got to the Elite Four, Betsy stopped being so useful, as she didn’t have any STAB attacks, and really could have used the boost on Brick Break and Revenge. Not that Betsy was a bad Pokemon, but she came late in the game, and simply wasn’t useful against any of the bosses I fought past then, so she gets the honor of LVP.

~ Minerva ~
        Spoiler:

Originally, Minerva was in the running for LVP. She was difficult to train immediately because of the saturation of Ghost and Flying types in the general area, and she was useless against Tate & Liza. I picked up both her and Betsy so I could compare Pinsir and Heracross, since it was my first time using either of them. Early on, I definitely preferred Pinsir getting to use Fighting attacks without the Fighting weaknesses. However, Minerva showed her worth in Victory Road and the Elite Four, and with her whopping Attack stat, she definitely carried her weight, which saved her from LVP.

~ Overall Thoughts ~
    The Bug monotype challenge was not nearly as hard as I expected in Ruby. Surskit was good at covering Bug’s weaknesses early on, and Armaldo did the same job later on. The bulky bugs were really nice just for their pure power, but the other three were great for Pokemon they weren’t weak to. Beautifly was surprisingly useful early on against Roxanne and Brawly, though I didn’t want half my team to be Bug / Flying type, so I did ditch her. I am interested still in seeing how Dustox and the fireflies play, though, but I didn’t want to pick up another Wurmple and Wattson was hard enough without trying to train Illumise or Volbeat. Definitely a fun challenge!

Completed Challenges:
    Ruby Bug Monotype

I previously arrived at the Mauville City Pokemon Center and I healed my Pokemon. I finished up and headed for the Poke Mart to purchase items that I would be needing for the next part of my journey through Hoenn. I stopped in front of the Mauville City Gym and I saw Wally there with his father. Wally challenged me to a Pokemon battle with his Ralts and after I won that, he left. I healed once more at the local Pokemon Center and then I wandered around Mauville City. I got the HM for Rock Smash and then I went to the Game Corner. I then returned to the Mauville City Gym and I entered it. I battled two of the Gym trainers inside there and then I saved as I headed out to train some more for the match against Wattson.

- Marshtomp Lv. 24
    - Wingull Lv. 22
    - Lombre Lv. 21

Congrats on the Bug Mono, Dr. Slavic !

Anyhow, I have much more time today, so I can elaborate on the recent events.

Overview:
    -Got through Rock Tunnel, but just barely. Half of my team was fainted and the other half was poisoned
    -Headed straight for Celadon, got the Tea, and bribed the Gatehouse Guards
    -Rainbowbadge get!
    -Crushed TR in their secret lair
    -Got the Silph Scope and rescued Mr. Fuji. Fuji gave me a Pokéflute in thanks. I used it to wake up the Snorlaxes
    -Got the Super Rod from the Fishing Guru's younger brother
    -Got the HMs for Surf, Fly and Strength
    -Caught Ryu the Dratini!

I am currently training Ryu in the Saffaron area.

BOSSES:

Erika:
        Spoiler:

Geovanni:
        Spoiler:

Xman:
        Spoiler:

So yeah, not much exciting has gone down, but I will give a Blow-By-Blow of the Elite Four and Champion for anyone that reads my posts.

THE TEAM:
        Spoiler:

BOXED:
        Spoiler:

PROGRESS:
        Spoiler:

Oh, yeah, and I am considering swapping Bird Jesus for either Zapdos or Articuno, as he is sort of dead weight. If he doesn't prove useful soon, which do you think I should use? I am open to suggestions, but please make them logical, and not just "zapdos cuz his desine is kool". Just to help those of you with a wretched memeory like mine, my final team roster is as follows:

Smaug the Charizard
    Bird Jesus the Pidgeot/Zapdos/Articuno
    Colossus the Butterfree
    Cupcake the Gyarados
    Ryu the Dragonite
    Hammond the Aerodactyl

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Joth; 9th July 2014 at 2:37 AM. Reason: Final Team Roster Refresher
    Dark Friend Safari with
    - -
    Friend Code: 0576 - 5970 - 2604

PM before you add me!

I wandered over to the Pokemon Center in Mauville City shortly after I defeated Wattson at the local Gym. I had all of my Pokemon healed there and then I went to the Bike Shop to pick up a Bicycle there. I got a Mach Bike and then I headed west towards Verdanturf Town. I got to the route between Verdanturf Town and Mauville City and I visited the Pokemon Day Care. I left my Wingull there to train and I started to battle the various trainers along the path there. I managed to beat half of them, but then I had to return to Mauville City to heal my team. I got that taken care of and I returned to the route and caught a wild Marill. I managed to defeat the other trainers as well and I saved once I got to Verdanturf Town.

- Marshtomp Lv. 25
    - Lombre Lv. 22
    - Marill Lv. 15

Sorry about the huge delay, I have been detasseling my life away, but hey, how many jobs are available to a 13 year old living in rural Michigan?

OVERVIEW:
    -Smaug-->Charizard
    -Bird Jesus-->Pidgeot
    -Ryu-->Dragonair
    -Soulbadge Get!
    -Took Silph Co.
    -Captured Bird Jesus II the Zapdos and Boxed Bird Jesus I
    -Marshbadge get!
    -Beat the Fighting Dojo for kicks. (Geddit? Kicks? Karate? LAWLZ)
    -Captured McFlurry the Articuno
    -Reached Cinnibar Island
    -Revived Hammond the Aerodactyl

So yeah, I have decided to make it a bit of a sidequest to capture the Legendary Birds. I will give a Blow-By-Blow for each of them, though I used the Masterball on Zapdos. I didn't realize just how low leveled Hammond would be, so if you have any idea on how to train him up fast, I will be more than happy to hear suggestions. I might just use Articuno in place of him if push comes to shove. My next update will probably be my last, so I am leaving it to you peeps that are reading these to choose between a Poison mono in Leaf Green or a Grass mono in Ruby!

Koga:
        Spoiler:

Silph Co.:
        Spoiler:

Articuno:
        Spoiler:

THE TEAM:
        Spoiler:

BOXED:
        Spoiler:
    Dark Friend Safari with
    - -

PM before you add me!

I visited the Verdanturf Town Pokemon Center and I healed my team. Afterwards, I headed for the local Pokemon Contest hall in town. I visited that and then once I did some stuff there and got the Contest Pass, I returned outside and I bought some stuff at the Poke Mart. I spent some time finishing off the tasks at Rusturf Tunnel and then I left Verdanturf Town when everything was finished. I headed back to Mauville City and I headed north once I arrived there. I eventually reached that house of the Winstrate Family and I challenged them to battles. I barely defeated them and I had to heal my Pokemon again once the battles were over. I saved shortly after leaving the Mauville City Pokemon Center again.

- Marshtomp Lv. 26
    - Lombre Lv. 23
    - Marill Lv. 17

Sorry again about the delay, but I come bearing bad news.

George Brown... Is dead.

Just kidding, but my dog made a snack out of my Leaf Green cartrige, and it won't work anymore. So RIP Flying Mono...

But I started a Grass type Mono in Sapphire, so I will be posting that now.

PLANNED TEAM:
    -Geico
    -Fiesta
    -1UP
    -Dr. Crane
    -Wildvine
    -Banaynay

OVERVIEW:
    -Started a new game and chose the male character, named Joth.
    -Saved Birch with Treeko
    -Named the Treeko Geico (Mild Nature yay!)
    -Crushed May.
    -Caught Fiesta the Lotad. Rash nature.
    -Assisted Wally in catching his Ralts.
    -Caught 1UP the Shroomish. Quirky Nature.
    -Caught my main HM slave and Pickup user, PICKERUPER the Zigzagoon.
    -Saved the Devon guy
    -Geico-->Grovyle
    -Fiesta-->Lombre
    -STONEBADGE Get!
    -Saved Peeko and got the Devon Goods back
    -KNUCKLEBADGE Get! miraculously...
    -Delivered Steven's Letter.
    -Delivered the Devon Goods to Cptn. Stern and defeated team Aqua
    -Got the Rare Candy from the Trick House.

Saved in Slateport city.

May:
        Spoiler:

Roxanne:
        Spoiler:

Brawly:
        Spoiler:

THE TEAM:
        Spoiler:

BOXED:
        Spoiler:

Progress:
        Spoiler:
    Dark Friend Safari with
    - -

PM before you add me!

I headed up north from Mauville City after healing my Pokemon and used Rock Smash when I found a few rocks blocking the road. I headed north some more and I battled trainers along the way. Sadly, I couldn't yet access the desert part of Route 111, so I had to find some other way to get around. I headed for Mt. Chimney and I battled some more trainers. I had to heal once more before I went through the Fiery Path. Once I got there, I went straight to the northern exit and I battled some wild Torkoal and Slugma as I explored the cave. I came out of the cave eventually and I saw some more trainers that I had to battle against. Once that was done, I healed my Pokemon at a rest house and saved the game again.

- Marshtomp Lv. 28
    - Lombre Lv. 25
    - Marill Lv. 20

Hey, everybody, sorry about the delay, but I am REALLY stuck on Flannery, and with work I am not finding much time to play. I am gonna do a W2 Nuzlocke in the mean time!
    Dark Friend Safari with
    - -

PM before you add me!

After healing my Pokemon at that one rest house around Route 111, I continued on my journey towards Fallarbor Town. I battled some trainers along that route and then I got to the portion of the Hoenn region where it snows volcanic ash. I traveled around the area and I encountered various Pokemon along the way. I battled against a wild Spinda that was in the area and then I also battled a wild Skarmory. I then battled some trainers that were in the area. I got to the house there where they made items out of ash and I obtained the Soot Sack item to collect the ash outside. I ran around doing that and then I battled another trainer too. I finally arrived in Fallarbor Town and I saved at the Pokemon Center there.

- Marshtomp Lv. 29
    - Lombre Lv. 27
    - Marill Lv. 22

I'll do a fire type challenge on Emerald and a Poison type on Leaf green. I'm not sure which Pokémon you can get in each version.. any suggestions?

for Emerald
    Blaziken
    Torkoal
    Slugmas final evo

for Leafgreen
    Golbat
    Nidoqueen
    Muk

the ones i mentioned are for sure. Im not sure about the last half of either team
    Last edited by RockinGator; 24th August 2014 at 4:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinGator View Post
    I'll do a fire type challenge on Emerald and a Poison type on Leaf green. I'm not sure which Pokémon you can get in each version.. any suggestions?

for Emerald
    Blaziken
    Torkoal
    Slugmas final evo

for Leafgreen
    Golbat
    Nidoqueen
    Muk

the ones i mentioned are for sure. Im not sure about the last half of either team
    Vulpix, Numel, Houndour.
    Bulbasaur, Weedle, Gastly

So after I was done healing my team at the Fallarbor Town Pokemon Center, I wandered out to the Poke Mart to buy some Super Potions and other items. I finished doing that and then I went to the Pokemon Contest hall to compete in a Super Rank Pokemon Contest just for fun. I ended up winning that after using some PokeBlocks to make my Marshtomp's Contests stats increase and I headed out again. I went west until I arrived at Route 114 and I battled some trainers in the area. I picked up a Roar TM from a guy there and then I battled some Pokemon in the tall grass as I headed south towards Meteor Falls. I visited Lanette's house and picked some Berries outside and I saved before battling more trainers.

- Marshtomp Lv. 30
    - Lombre Lv. 28
    - Azumarill Lv. 24

After a 2 year hiatus I am back doing Monotypes!! I've decided to start back up with a semi-common type in FR/LG....Bug! Let's get started!

I chose Squirtle as my starter so that my rival would have Bulbasaur which I figured would be easy to deal with later in the game. It defeated Gary's Bulbasaur and I quickly got Oak's Parcel from a local Pokemart and returned to Pallet Town to receive my Pokedex. I headed back to Viridian City and got a Teachy TV and some Pokeballs before heading to the Viridian Forest where I captured my first two team members, Weedle and Caterpie! I returned to Route 1 and trained them both to Lv7 where they evolved into Kakuna and Metapod respectively. I took a break after the evolutions.

Current Team
    Planned Alpha Sapphire Team

I battled trainers on Route 114 between Fallarbor Town and Meteor Falls and then I set off to the mountains and I entered Meteor Falls. I saw Team Aqua grunts inside there ad they snatched Prof. Cozmo's meteorite and then they left the cavern. I headed for the exit after I battled a wild Lunatone and I managed to get back to Fallarbor Town. I went all the way back the way I had come and I eventually reached the base of Mt. Chimney again. I was finally able to use the cable car there and I headed for the summit. Once I got to the summit, I noticed that Team Aqua and Team Magma were battling. I decided to battle against the various Team Aqua grunts while I was there and then I saved before heading to the crater.

- Marshtomp Lv. 31
    - Lombre Lv. 29
    - Azumarill Lv. 25

After the evolutions I went ahead and defeated Gary west of Viridian City. Then I headed back into the Viridian Forest and made my way through. Both Kakuna and Metapod evolved during my travels through the woods. It didn't take long to reach Pewter City and Butterfree took out the trainer in the gym with Confusion. I went ahead and challenged Brock but got manhandled so I trained a little more and then beat him thanks to Confusion actually confusing Onix. I hurried through Route 3 and beat the trainers on the way before entering Mt Moon. I skipped some trainers and took a ladder down to a different area where I captured my third team member, a Paras! I headed back outside to the Pokemon Center and took a break.

Current Team

After I defeated the Team Aqua grunts at the summit of Mt. Chimney, I headed for the volcanic crater where the meteorite was. I saw Archie the leader of Team Aqua there and we began to battle. His Mightyena was difficult to take down, but my Lombre managed to get the job done eventually. It leveled up from the experience and I used Azumarill against Archie's Golbat. That battle was easier and I defeated Archie's Golbat with a barrage of Rollout attacks. I used Lombre against Archie's Sharpedo afterwards and I knocked it out with Absorb. Archie and the Team Aqua grunts left the mountain after I beat them and I headed south to Lavaridge Town by going down the Jagged Pass. I saved after battling trainers.

- Marshtomp Lv. 32
    - Lombre Lv. 30
    - Azumarill Lv. 27

I've started a LeafGreen monotype to go along with Drummerdude. I'm hoping this'll accomplish one of two things - I'll complete LeafGreen (and a third generation game) for the first time, and I'll complete a monotype for the first time ever. Might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone right? Anyway, my type of choice is Poison, so lets go!

I started the game as a male by the name of Red, and my rival was named Blue. I went off and was surprised to see my mother didn't annoy me as I left, and so I figured I'd go towards Route 1. Prof. Oak stopped me, and took me to his Lab. There I met up with my irritating rival Blue, but was told I could pick my partner Pokemon first! I chose Bulbasaur because it's a Poison type, and I named him Bruteroot. He's awesome. We destroyed Blue's Charmander like a boss, and trained some more on Route 1 as we headed to Viridian City. We had to deliver the goods to Oak, and got a Pokedex and Poke Balls in return. Yippee. I caught some Pokemon though for my Pokedex, and beat Blue again along Route 22 for training. We breezed through Viridian Forest and learned new moves like Leech Seed and Vine Whip. Then we headed to Pewter City.

Brock was the Gym Leader, and he was annihilated by Bruteroot. I got to level 15, battled a few trainers along Route 3/4, and caught a Nidoran- F who I named The Queen. I then entered Mt. Moon, and caught my third member - Harlequin the Zubat! Now for some training. Please note The Queen is not a guaranteed member if I find a Nidoran- M, who I'll name The King. But eh, whatever.

The Team:

I got to the end of Jagged Pass after battling the various trainers there and I finally arrived in Lavaridge Town. I went to the local Pokemon Center first and I healed my injured Pokemon there before doing anything else. I then left local PC and explored Lavaridge Town a little more. I bought some herbal medicine at another shop there and then I bought some other items at the Poke Mart since I was getting ready to head to the Lavaridge Pokemon Gym. I got there and I battled the first Gym trainers inside. I had a hard time using Lombre, but I still managed to proceed after those battles. I got on the hot sand and I made it around the Gym, using mostly Marshtomp and Azumarill to battle. I saved afterwards.

- Marshtomp Lv. 34
    - Lombre Lv. 31
    - Azumarill Lv. 29

After clearing Mt Moon, which took sometime because it didn't even enter my mind to teach Paras Bullet Seed until halfway through, I arrived in Cerulean City. I beat the gym trainers to give some experience to Paras and then headed to the Nugget Bridge where Gary didn't give me any trouble surprisingly. I ran to Bill's house and saved his life and all I got was a stupid ticket. I returned to Cerulean City and gave Misty a try. Paras barely beat Staryu and was quickly dispatched by Starmie. Beedrill came in and beat it with Twineedle. I got the Cascade Badge, beat a Team Rocket grunt, and ran through an underground passage and eventually arrived in Vermillion City. I ran east real quick and captured a Spearow which I traded for a Farfetch'd to get 10 Pokemon in my Pokedex. I took a break after the trade.

Current Team

So upon snatching the Heat Badge, I left to the Lavaridge Town Pokemon Center to heal my injured Pokemon. I then headed back outside and I talked to an elderly lady next to the Pokemon Center and she gave me a Pokemon Egg. I decided to store that for now and then I headed east towards the desert portion of Route 111. I got there and then my my pal May arrived and she gave me the Go-Goggles so that I could wander around in the desert without getting sand in my eyes. With those in my grasp, I entered the desert area and I battled wild Cacnea and Trapinch. I trained my team by battling several trainers around the desert sand and I managed to level up my Pokemon quite a bit, then I saved the game.

- Swampert Lv. 36
    - Lombre Lv. 33
    - Azumarill Lv. 31

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425