Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 4th Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

I have SS...WAITWAT YOU CAN GET SKARMORY? May change Pidgeot to Skarmory or Dragonite.

I'll do flying. Always wanted a challange.
    , the god of glitches

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Surge View Post
    I have SS...WAITWAT YOU CAN GET SKARMORY? May change Pidgeot to Skarmory or Dragonite.

I'll do flying. Always wanted a challange.
    Aye, Skarmory can be found on Route 45 in SoulSilver, outside of Blackthorn City. May I suggest possibly switching Pidgeot to Skarmory (Noctowl has Hypnosis, which is quite useful) and possibly Butterfree for Dratini (Scyther is the only Bug-type you'll need on that Monotype Team and easily the superior Pokemon).

'Kay. I'm just worried that I'll have only about 4 Pokemon for most of the Jhoto Reigon...

Scyther <3
    , the god of glitches

Flight of Champions: A Flying Monotype Challenge

After the opening game sequence, naming my player character 'Sora' after a Japanese word meaning 'sky', and choosing my Starter of Cyndaquil (will most likely train him after the Challenge is complete), I set out to pick up the Mystery Egg from Mr. Pokemon. Upon receiving the Egg and obtaining the Pokedex, however, I start wishing I hadn't left Totodile at the lab... to fall right into the mysterious redheaded thief's hands, who swiftly challenged me to a battle!

VS. Passerby Boy

This battle was swift, in all honesty. A few Leer attacks to lower Totodile's defense and two Tackles were all needed... HOWEVER, it DID get a Critical Hit Scratch in and knocked Cyndaquil into the red before being taken down. Thank goodness for higher speed.

So after learning his name was 'Riku', which translates to 'land', and reporting him to the police with the help of Lyra, who later offered me a capture lesson... well, more like FORCED a capture lesson onto me when I KNEW HOW TO CAPTURE POKEMON... I set out to start training and become a Flying-type master. My first capture was a rather serious but durable male Pidgey, who I nicknamed 'Hayate', a name that translated to 'hurricane', and shortly after I captured a female careful (despite its species' reputation) Spearow I named 'Kazaashi', which meant 'wind speed'... looking back, however, I wish I named her 'Amazora'. For two reasons: one, it meant threatening sky; and two, because she would be quite Amazon in nature when she evolves.

No matter... Name Rater lives in Goldenrod...

My next capture had to wait until the night but I managed to capture myself a jovial lad of a Hoothoot. Naming him was a struggle but, remembering his species' affiliation with mystical wisdom, I decided to give him a name that meant... well... 'mystic wisdom'. And thus, Reichi the Hoothoot joined my party. These small Flying-types are still brittle, however I believe that, given the right push, they may be able to become something more.

And, with my goal being to train every Flying-type obtainable in the Johto Region through my rotation style of training, then I will train them dangit and I will MAKE them a force to be reckoned with!

Roster so far...

On hand -

Hayate/Pidgey Lv. 8
    Nature: Serious (no stat differences)
    Hold Item: None
    - Tackle
    - Sand-attack
    -
    -

Kazaashi/Spearow Lv. 8
    Nature: Careful (+Special Defense, -Special Attack)
    - Peck
    - Growl
    - Leer

Reichi/Hoothoot Lv. 8
    Nature: Jolly (+Speed, -Special Attack)
    - Tackle
    - Growl
    - Foresight
    - Hypnosis

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Entry Two...

Considering nobody else is updating, may as well post my most recent exploits.

After breezing my way through the rookie trainers of Route 30 and Route 31, leaving two of them for a later teammate to be trained against, I decided to pay a visit to the Dark Cave where, mere steps into my attempt of stumbling through darkness, I had a rather significant encounter with a rather rash and hot-headed Zubat, somewhat vain in personality. But I admit, I admired his guts so I captured him: naming him 'Yozora', which translates to 'night sky'. I have yet to train him, but I believe his final form Crobat will be a significant addition to my team.

Heading through Violet, since it was still the day, I decided to breeze through, only stopping to heal, onto the next route where I saw a rather lonely-looking Hoppip: most likely an outcast of a flock. Feeling sympathy, I took him in and named him 'Tampopo', which meant 'dandelion' according to my sources. I haven't trained him yet due to my sole focus on capturing them both before training, but I do believe they will prove most useful in my later exploits.

Here's to training!

Team so far...

Hayate/Pidgey Lv. 8
    Nature: Serious (no stat differences)
    - Tackle
    - Sand-attack
    -
    -

Kazaashi/Spearow Lv. 8
    Nature: Careful (+Special Defense, -Special Attack)
    - Peck
    - Growl
    - Leer

Reichi/Hoothoot Lv. 8
    Nature: Jolly (+Speed, -Special Attack)
    - Tackle
    - Growl
    - Foresight
    - Hypnosis

Tampopo/Hoppip Lv. 6
    Nature: Lonely (+Attack, -Defense)
    - Splash
    - Synthesis
    -
    -

Yozora/Zubat Lv. 3
    Nature: Rash (+Special Attack, -Special Defense)
    - Leech Life
    -
    -
    -
    Last edited by RevolutionStorm; 6th November 2012 at 5:59 PM.

I decided to start an Ice type monotype in Soul Silver awhile ago and have now decided to update info. Before I begin, let me explain how I plan to start a team for a type with no availability until post-Morty. I've collected three eggs for Smoochum, Snorunt, and Shellder, and right when they became close to hatching, I traded them to SS to hatch them as my "starter" team. It took time to train them up to speed so I could ditch my official starter, but they're fine now.

I'm not going to bother posting everything(I'll include most major battles) since the beginning, since I'm now going to Goldenrod City. My trainer is named Soren. And my team now:

Stalagmite (M) Lv. 16

Ira (F) Lv. 16

Julie (F) Lv. 16

Major Battles:
    Falkner(Violet City): This battle was simple, naturally, as Ira soloed him with Powder Snow with little trouble. Not much to say here.
    Bugsy(Azalea Town): This was a lengthy battle, as his powerhouse Scyther would rip through Julie's horrid defense, and Ira's defense wasn't much better, so Stalagmite had to tank through it all with Icicle Spear. It had little trouble there, with Skill Link, but U-Turn put a dent into his HP, requiring some healing. He managed to take down Metapod and Kakuna, but thing got tight as Scyther's HP got lower. Scyther used Focus Energy, and I became worried about a crit, so I sent out Julie to take a hit, so I could safely send in Ira. This proved successful, and Scyther went down after an Icy Wind.
    Silver(Azalea Town): Yeah, I couldn't think of a rival name to use and I didn't care. As for the battle, Zubat went down after a Confusion from Julie, and Gastly suffered the same fate. Croconaw took some time, but Stalagmite took it down after taking repeated Bites to the face a Supersonic confused and caused Croconaw to lose half its HP before snapping out of confusion. It then proceeded to spam Scary Face as my already slow Stalagmite took it out with Tackle.

After these important fights, I entered Ilex Forest and got Cut from capturing the Farfetch'd, and I saved.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

Started Monotype!
    PLANNED TEAM
    ----------------
    Fearow
    Scyther
    Crobat
    Dragonite
    Skarmory
    Togekiss(Planning for full game)

Chose Totodile for a Surf Slave and an advantage, then sped through until getting the Pokeballs and proceeding to get a Spearow and a Zubat.Really happy with the results, I saved in Sprout Tower.Bleh.Going to train!

TEAM

Skyline/Spearow - Lv. 7
    Gender - Female
    Nature - Naughty( +Attack, -Special Defence)
    Hold Item - None
    Peck
    Growl
    Leer

Toxic/Zubat - Lv. 6
    Gender - Male
    Nature - Impish( +Defence, -Special Attack)
    Hold Item - None
    Leech Life
    Supersonic

(Lol!Look-
    +Attack
    +Defence
    Both physical
    -Special Defence
    -Special Attack
    Both special

That's funny.)
    , the god of glitches

Well, a lot has happened since I last posted. I forgot how short Johto was, but now my progress has come to a grinding halt (bad pun intended). There are too many battles I've had since then, so I'll avoid creating a huge post with all of them. I'm now training my team to level 40 to fight Clair. I know she won't be tough with Ice types, but this is only to catch up on levels for the E4 later. Now for my unintentionally Lorelei-esque team:

Stalagmite (M) Lv. 37

Ira (F) Lv. 37

Julie (F) Lv. 36

Dew (M) Lv. 37

Fiora (F) Lv. 37

Watermelon (F) Lv. 34

I didn't hope for my team to end up like this, but there was no other choice besides Delibird, bar trading. I would have used him if I didn't need TM's to teach it a move.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

I've decided to stop the Flying Mono and do a Water Mono.

Ima just list my team!Training up for Whitney.

Wave the Croconaw - Female -
    Sketch the Slowpoke - Female -

I'm feeling the mood to get Platinum this Christmas and I really wanna trade some eggs over for an Electric Mono on Platinum.Not sure If I'll get Platinum, but if so I'll breed a Mareep, Eevee, and Chinchou, perhaps.
    , the god of glitches

I posted twice now, .3.

Updating my Roster, for one thing.

Got Magikarp, Chinchou(New Bark Town, Good Rod), Eevee, and Lapras.
    For some reason, my team is mostly females.Only the Eevee is male.
    Going to use the Eevee...NEVER.Too lazy, hahaha.
    Evolved some of them, challenging the Rocket Hideout with Lance.Lyre(The Lapras) Just leaned Rain Dance! Yipee! Now I get 100% acuraccy with my Lanturn's Thunder.

Wave(Going to change name) - Female -
    Erin - Female -
    Cali - Female -
    Lyre(Look at Wave) - Female -
    Last edited by Storm Surge; 17th December 2012 at 12:54 AM.
    , the god of glitches

I Advanced quite a bit so I will summarize it:

I got a slugma egg for later use
    Charmander and cindaquil evolved
    Went to Azelea Town
    Saved the Slowpokes
    Defeated the 2nd gym
    Defeated my Rival
    Went to Golden Rod City
    Suprisingly easily defeated the third gym without problems
    Got myself a Houndour for use (trade)
    Got a growlithe for later use
    Houndour evolved into Houndoom
    defeated the 4th gym
    Arrived at Olivine city.

Team:

Quilava Level 27
    -Quick Attack
    -leer
    -Smokescreen
    -Flame wheel

Charmeleon Level 25
    -Ember
    -Smokescreen
    -Dragon Rage
    -Rock Tomb

Numel Level 25
    -Amnesia
    -Take Down
    -Ember
    -Magnitude

Houndoom Level 26
    -Smog
    -Roar
    -Bite
    -Oder Sleuth
        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

^Nice! Get out that Surf slave!
    , the god of glitches

I'm going to start my first ever monotype challenge on Platinum, and the magical typing is...
    Normal!

I have chosen all 6 of my pokemon. I'm starting in a day or two, but suggestions are welcome!

Staraptor: Flyer, and is my answer to fighting types.
    Lickylicky: Surprisingly, it gets Surf. So yeah, my surfer and rock climber.
    Lopunny: Lopunny's Jump Kick is my answer to steel types that could probably wall me to oblivion. Also Strength on this rabbit.
    Ambipom: Sweeper. I also will be giving it Rock Smash since 60 B.P at least is still usable.. unlike 40 >>. Thanks Technician!
    Clefable: Special Attacker.
    Girafarig: Special Attacker.

Right now, I'm only using Bibarel for Waterfall and Waterfall only. If you have nay suggestions for this team, like pokemon to replace, please tell me!

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

I'm starting a Ground Monotype run on Pokemon Platinum to run parallel to my Best friend's grass monotype run and I figured I'd start recording it here.

Building from the Ground up

So up to date, here is what I've done.

-Started the game, named myself Hiro and my rival Roy.
    -I chose Turtwig (Got a female one. Huh, go figure). Named her Talia.
    -Met Cyrus
    -Got the Pokedex
    -Got the Parcel and ever annoying journal.
    -Got the Pokeballs from Dawn
    -Grinded Talia
    -Defeated my Rival (after losing twice prior to Grinding, Growl is really annoying when used in rapid succesion with only a one Pokemon party)
    -Caught a Geodude and named him Geo (real original, right?)
    -Went Ponyta hunting and trained Geodude
    -Went through the mine

Current Team

Talia
    Level 16
    -Tackle
    -Withdraw
    -Absorb
    -Razor Leaf

Geo
    Level 12
    -Tackle
    -Defense Curl
    -Rock Throw
    -Rock Polish

If anyone has suggestions for future teamates or ideas, I'm all ears.

Being a full ground team, permanent Sandstorm might not be a bad idea at all. Consider Hippopotas in your team.

also, you'll need something that's neutral to Ice. Wooper or Shellos for a Water type, both are good depending on your preference (physical or special). Mamoswine also works, but its best Ice move being Ice Fang doesn't make it very reliable.

Here's my update:

Monotype Type: Normal
    Badges: 1
    Save Place: Route 217 (West of Hearthome City)
    - So I got a Combee instead. Due to tight schedules (school), I decided to forego Aipom in search for another normal type.
    - Made my way to Eterna City via Eterna Forest. Caught Athena the Aphrodite and mass grinded her. Partnered up with Cheryl, swiftly went through the forest.
    - Eterna Gym. Mass overkill thanks to Hermes.
    - Beat Galactic boons in Eterna HQ too, it was an easy fight (another one lol). Got a bicycle and made my way down. Aphrodite learned Jump Kick around then, so I was like ZOMG <33333
    - Went through Mount Coronet. Came out of the place to reach Route 217 East. Almost there!

Team (3/5 of the planned team)

Hermes the Staravia M
    Lv. 26

Aphrodite the Buneary F
    Lv. 27

Athena the Clefairy F
    Lv. 17

Bibarel the Bibarel M
    Lv. 19

Alright, so I need another normal pokemon. Currently, my contestants include a fully physical Togekiss, HM Slave Bibarel, Blissey, Snorlax or Porygon (can't get Z or 2 due to restriction on trading )
    Last edited by OceanicLanturn; 10th January 2013 at 2:15 PM.

ASB Squad

Building from the Ground up: Part 2

Didn't go as far as I liked yesterday, but here's what I did.

-defeated Roark
    -Talia evolved into Grotle
    -defeated Plasma for the first time
    -Defeated Mars and her Plasma goons
    -Caught me a Shellos, named her Shelly XD
    -Traversed the forest
    -defeated Gardenia's gym and majorly leveled up Talia (I will never doubt Curse again)
    -defeated Jupiter and got the bike

Team

Talia Lv. 24
    -Razor Leaf
    -Tackle
    -Bite
    -Curse

Shelly Lv 22
    -Mud Bomb
    -Water Pulse
    -Hidden Power
    -Rain Dance

Geo Lv 22
    -Rock Throw
    -Magnitude
    -Self-Destruct
    -Rock Smash

Thinking aboout getting a Gligar and a Gible. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Zexiontwo; 6th January 2013 at 6:05 PM.

Building from the Ground up: Day 3

Got quite a bit done last night XD

-Rolled down the Bike Path
    -Explored the hidden Cave after catching Gligar (Fang)
    -Caught a Gible (Draco)
    -Grinded Gible and Gligar
    -Decided Gligar wasn't worth it and boxed her
    -Kersplunked the mountain
    -Defeated Fantina
    -Evolved Draco
    -Explored the Ruins
    -Evolved Geo
    -Forced my way to Veilstone
    -Defeated Maylene
    -Beat Galactic senseless
    -Evolved Talia
    -Made it to the Resort
    -Trained some more
    End

Talia Lv 33
    -Earthquake
    -Mega Drain
    -Curse
    -Reflect
    Geo Lv 30
    -Self-Destruct
    -Rock Smash
    -Rock Blast
    -Magnitude
    Shelly Lv 29
    -Slam
    -Water Pulse
    -Mud Bomb
    -Rain Dance
    Draco Lv 30
    -Dragon Rage
    -Sand Tomb
    -Slash
    -Sandstorm

~~~

Boxed

Fang Lv 19

Zexiontwo, are you aware you get the TM for Earthquake in Wayward Cave(the hidden cave)? It would help for, say, Draco or Geo.
    I have discovered what a signature is.

This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede

I've claimed Castform. It will never rain on my parade.

I have it. Just haven't decided who to use it on. I got all the way to Candice, dropped my DS, and I forgot to save since my last update @>@ *sobs*

'Daww.*Pats head*

A Petty Water Monotype; Part 3(ish)

I finally gave it a name.Go figure.
    I put Sketch back in action after I figured I needed her for the Kimono Girls.Forgot to say I DEFEATED ALL THE GYM LEADERS, YEAH!I had tried to defeat the Kimono Girls with my four-girl team several times, but without sucsess.Darn.So I nabbed the King's Rock from the Slowpoke Well, grabbed my sibling's DSi, and traded Sketch back and forth.Yay.Now I have a Slowking, <3 I also got a Quagsire(From the Union Cave) to cover my annoying weakness to Electric.I ALSO RENAMED WAVE TO AVE.

I completely pwned the Kimono Girls.A Perish Song from Lyre(Who desperately needs a new name; anybody have an idea for a Lapras?) perished the Umbreon(After Ave died without doing pretty much any damage at all to it) and Espeon, with poor Sketch sent in so Lyre wouldn't die.Flareon was taken care of with a few Surfs from Erin, who got burnt.
    Then came Jolteon.I sent in William(the Male Quagsire), who was a BOSS.Level 25 Quagsire against a Level 38 Jolteon...Jolteon spammed Double Team while I spammed Mud Bomb(Hitting him a few times), he uses last Resort and fails about 2 times....Then Thunderbolt."It didn't affect William..." OH YEAH. As Mud Bomb ran out of PP, I Mud Shot-ed my way to victory against Jolteon. Well, Vaporeon was a big joke compared to Jolteon. It could barely TOUCH Lyre as a Perish Song pounded it to the ground.

After that, I went and caught the freaking Lugia.I DIDN'T WANT TO USE THE MASTER BALL.AGH.But Lugia refused to be caught otherwise, :P
    Well, My team is severely underleveled(William at 25 and Sketch at 24, others at 34-36), and I shall be the Water Type master of Jhoto!Kanto not included currently.

I like the way Zexiontwo does the format, so I'll do it like that...

TEAM(In order of game capture)

Ave Lv 35
    -Ice Fang
    -Crunch
    -Surf
    -Hydro Cannon

Sketch Lv 24
    -Curse
    -Headbutt
    -Confusion
    -Surf

Erin Lv 35
    -Ice Fang
    -Strength
    -Surf
    -Dragon Pulse

Cali Lv 34
    -Thunder
    -Surf
    -Confuse Ray
    -Blizzard

Lyre Lv 36
    -Perish Song
    -Ice Beam
    -Water Pulse
    -Body Slam(BEST. MOVE. EVER.)

William Lv 25
    -Slam
    -Mud Bomb
    -Whirlpool
    -Waterfall

Tell me if I can have a better team in terms of Pokemon...and why.
    , the god of glitches

Gastrodon is better than Quagsire Xp It's a walking (er.....sliding) Special Tank. I never would have thought to try it until my montype run XD

I decided to take Quagsire because Quagsires look like such charming chaps...And I'm too lazy to trade over a Shellos because I'm almost at the E4.
    Besides, Water Absorb and a dual Ground type on my team makes for two immunities.
    , the god of glitches

Unfortuantely, I accidentally editted in. So here's my update just to bump it a bit.

Here's my update:

Monotype Type: Normal
    Badges: 1
    Save Place: Route 217 (West of Hearthome City)
    - So I got a Combee instead. Due to tight schedules (school), I decided to forego Aipom in search for another normal type.
    - Made my way to Eterna City via Eterna Forest. Caught Athena the Aphrodite and mass grinded her. Partnered up with Cheryl, swiftly went through the forest.
    - Eterna Gym. Mass overkill thanks to Hermes.
    - Beat Galactic boons in Eterna HQ too, it was an easy fight (another one lol). Got a bicycle and made my way down. Aphrodite learned Jump Kick around then, so I was like ZOMG <33333
    - Went through Mount Coronet. Came out of the place to reach Route 217 East. Almost there!

Team (3/5 of the planned team)

Hermes the Staravia M
    Lv. 26

Aphrodite the Buneary F
    Lv. 27

Athena the Clefairy F
    Lv. 17

Bibarel the Bibarel M
    Lv. 19

Alright, so I need another normal pokemon. Currently, my contestants include a fully physical Togekiss, HM Slave Bibarel, Blissey, Snorlax or Porygon (can't get Z or 2 due to restriction on trading )

ASB Squad

It's not really a restriction on trading.I have a Slowking.

Why a physical Togekiss?Have a mix.
    Blissey and Snorlax are great choices, but only if you want defensive, Special or Physical.I like Snorlax because of its awesomeness, but Blissey is all around great.
    I'm not too keen on Porygon, though.

EDIT; I've decided that has been the end of the run for my Water monotype.I've started another one- a Bug monotype!
    I just defeated Falkner with one Pokemon, Sabre, my Beedrill.(This is on SS.)It started out simple.Level 14 Sabre against a Lv 9 Pidgey.One Fury Attack and it was down.
    Pidgeotto was not that simple. Roost spam etc.Poisoned him with Poison Sting(Oh, Sabre levelled up to Lv 15 after Pidgey.) and Fury Attacked him repeatedly.ONE HP LEFT.He tackled me when I had ten HP left, and I had no Potions because I was stubborn.The poison killed it.

I have my first badge, and I am assembling my team in my head.Not changing it.

Current Team

Sabre - Lv 16
    Rash Female
    ---------
    Poison Sting
    Twineedle
    Fury Attack
    Focus Energy
    ---------
    Achivements; Having an epic back sprite, killing Falkner's Pidgeotto with ONE HP LEFT.

Team Wanted

///
    /w Egg Move Encore
    Last edited by Storm Surge; 26th January 2013 at 9:46 PM.
    , the god of glitches

Default The Purple Warrior: A Poison Monotype Playthrough

So I decided to start a Poison Type monotype on Pokémon Diamond! I have just beaten the first gym and this is what I got!

-Started Adventure
    -Chose Turtwig (for a challenge, you will understand later)
    -Got to Jubilife City
    -Received Hidden Power
    -Caught a Budew (Flora)
    -Grinded Flora
    -Battled rival, this was a challenge as all i had was a budew, in order to do it I taught Flora Hidden Power (Dark) I then used stun spore and spammed Hidden Power
    -Continued to Oreburgh Gate
    -Received Rock Smash
    -Got to Oreburgh City
    -Went to Oreburgh Gate
    -Caught Zubat (Cromwell)
    -Found Roark
    -Went to Oreburgh Gym
    -Fought Roark, I started with Cromwell who had just learned Astonish, I used Supersonic and spammed Astonish I almost KO'd the Geodude but Roark used his potion and then OHKO'd Cromwell, this was my plan though and I went on to OHKO both Geodude and Onyx, I was afraid of Cranidos but I was able to knock him out in two hits thus earning the Coal Badge!

My next step is to go to Eterna Forest where I will catch a Dustox!

CURRENT TEAM

Flora (Budew ♂) Lv.16
    -Mega Drain
    -Stun Spore
    -Water Sport
    -Hidden Power (Dark)

Cromwell (Zubat ♂) Lv.9
    -Leech Life
    -Supersonic
    -Astonish
    -

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast