Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

WOW that was hard i had got my starter piplup i caught a kricketot i trained it to level 23 it evolved and i had to use 20 potions to beat roark
    Last edited by MonoDude; 3rd September 2011 at 4:08 PM.

I went and defeated all of the swimmers near the Whirl Islands so Larvitar could get some more training. Eventually Larvitar evolved! I headed back to Olivine and took on Jasmine. Slugma started the fight for me but fell to Magnemite's Thunderbolt. Sudowoodo was next but it also fell to a Thunderbolt. I sent in Golem so she couldn't use Thunderbolt and knocked it out with an Earthquake. Corsola went in against Steelix and took it out with two Surf's. Golem went back in to take care of Magnemite which won me the battle and my 6th badge! I headed out towards Mahogany.

When I reached the town I immediately went north towards the Lake of Rage and defeated every trainer that I could. I also defeated the Red Gyarados for some extra experience. Lance appeared and talked to me about some radar or something. I went back to Mahogany and discovered a Team Rocket Hideout. I purposely set off every alarm and fought every trainer in the facility. Soon I was fighting Petrel with Shuckle and Pupitar and later fighting Ariana with Slugma. I made my way out of the hideout and towards the gym.

Those ice types didn't stand a chance. I defeated each trainer easily and faced off against Pryce. Sudowoodo started the battle with a Rock Slide and a Faint Attack and took out Seel. Next was Pupitar vs Piloswine. Pupitar fell to a Blizzard but managed to get a Sandstorm in before fainting. Slugma went in, but fell to a Mud Bomb. So I sent in Shuckle which managed to finish the job thanks to Toxic. Corsola went in against Dewgong but it had to be switched out to Golem. Golem got in an Earthquake and Rock Throw and took out Dewgong. As I exited the gym I recieved a call about Team Rocket and Goldenrod but I chose to ignore it and take a break.

Current Team

Edit: RANK UP!
    Planned Alpha Sapphire Team

I arrived at Lake Verity, and I saw tons of Team Galactic grunts there. I had to battle against them, then I had to battle against Mars. She sent out her Golbat, and I fought against it with my Gastrodon. Once Golbat was defeated, I used Empoleon to counter Mars's Purugly. I defeated it with Brine, then I had to face off against Mars's Bronzor. I defeated it using Floatzel, then she and the rest of the Team Galactic members fled. I returned to Sandgem Town, and I healed my Pokemon at the local Pokemon Center. I then flew to Pastoria City, and I used the Move Relearner's services. I battled at the restaurant near Valor Lakefront, then I headed north towards Veilstone City after that, since I had business to attend to there.

- Empoleon level 43
    - Gyarados level 40
    - Golduck level 39
    - Floatzel level 40
    - Bibarel level 39
    - Gastrodon level 40

On my way towards Goldenrod I stopped by the Bug Catching Contest and took part in it to train Slugma a little (This happened yesterday). Then I headed for Goldenrod. I got the Team Rocket uniform and went to the Radio Tower where I was soon exposed and battling lots of Rocket grunts. Eventually I was at the top and battling Petrel who gave me a key to an underground area. I headed there and encountered my rival who fell to the power of Sudowoodo and Pupitar. I did the button puzzle and soon rescued the Director. He gave me a key to a door in the Radio Tower so I went back there and ended up defeating the last few Rocket Leaders. I was given the Rainbow Wing so I headed back to Mahogany to continue my journey.

I defeated all of the trainers on Route 44 and made my way inside the Ice Path. I used Slugma to defeat the wild Pokemon with hopes that it would evolve....and it did! I pushed saved the Kimono Girl and arrived in Blackthorn City. The first thing I did was go to the gym. I took on the first two trainers and they were actually pretty difficult. I took a break because I know I will need to train before continuing with the gym.

Current Team

Im not doing mono bug cause my cousin deleted my game instead ill be doing normal mono

Am looking to do a monotype challenge on either diamond or heart gold, however not sure which type to do. Which types are interesting to use? Not like crazy easy but one where there is enough variety of choice as well.

Um on heart gold you can do mono rock you can get geodude quick or you could do mono poison on heart gold you can get zubat gastly ekans and alot more

Quote Originally Posted by b0bg0blin View Post
    Am looking to do a monotype challenge on either diamond or heart gold, however not sure which type to do. Which types are interesting to use? Not like crazy easy but one where there is enough variety of choice as well.
    Well I'm doing on poison on SS, and it's quite fun actually. I have an entire team of dual types with the exception of Koffing, but I could have easily used like Venomoth instead.

Flying and water always have a fair bit of variety and a lot to choose from, if you want something a little less challenging.
    SoulSilver BQ

Wonderful Banner by Golden Jet!!!!!
    Chapter 9 is up!! (Still Shocking!)

Doing a Flying Monotype Challenge in HeartGold right now. I've beaten all 16 Gym Leaders (Blue was hard I tell ya...) and now I'm training for an even bigger challenge: Beat all 16 Gym Leaders in their rematches all in a row WITHOUT using items in or out of battle or healing in between battles. Although I can still use Hold Items but cannot change them or restock between each battle.

Current Team:
    Staraptor Lv.52
    Togekiss Lv.54
    Yanmega Lv.52
    Gyarados Lv.52
    Gliscor Lv.52
    Dragonite Lv.56

So I've got a while to go. I'm also going to hate Red because no Flying types can use Rock Climb so it reduces me to 5 Pokemon.

Spoiler:- ΩRαS Shinies:

Quote Originally Posted by MonoDude View Post
    Um on heart gold you can do mono rock you can get geodude quick or you could do mono poison on heart gold you can get zubat gastly ekans and alot more
    Actually this Rock Monotype is proving to be my most difficult yet. I cannot count how many battles have come down to my last Pokemon, even against normal trainers.

I beat the last few trainers in the gym (Man those Seadra are tough) and solved the gym's puzzle so it was time to take on Claire. I started with Magcargo who used all 5 Ancient Power's in order to defeat Gyarados who for some reason has no water moves. Next was Kingdra, so I went with Shuckle and got a Toxic in and stalled for as long as I could. It took both Shuckle and Corsola to bring down Kingdra but it did eventually fall. Dragonair came next so I went with Pupitar who fainted fairly quickly but did do a decent amount of damage. Golem went in and finished it off. Her last Pokemon was Dragonair so in went Sudowoodo. Sudowoodo came this close to defeating it before she got a lucky critical hit but Golem easily finished it off. Claire was upset she lost so I had to go do some test, which I passed. She then gave me the badge and I was on my way to New Bark Town.

Professor Elm gave me a Master Ball and told me those Kimono chicks wanted to talk to me. I ran to Ecruteak and began battling them. Pupitar took out Umbreon, Golem knocked out Espeon, Corsola defeated Flareon, Golem defeated Jolteon, and Shuckle pulled out a close win against Vaporeon. I went to the Bell Tower. I climbed the tower and when I was at the top the Kimono Girls did a dance and Ho oh appeared. I did battle with it and decided to knock it out for some experience. I saved after beating the legendary pokemon.

Current Team

Edit: I realized that I would need Pupitar to evolve into Tyranitar if I wanted to beat the Elite 4 so I spent a long time training it up. (Not only because of the high level but also because of Sand Stream which will help my team out a lot!) I had 7 Rare Candies that I was prepared to use and once it reached Lv46 I put it in the PC and took out a water type that could use Waterfall. I used Routes 27 and 26 to train up my team some more. Eventually I was inside Victory Road and training up Corsola and Golem against the wild Rock types. When I reached the end my rival challenged me. The battle wasn't too easy but it was easier than many of my previous battles. I left the cave, grabbed the Rare Candy outside Indigo Plateau, and went inside. I purchased a bunch of healing supplies, healed my team, and saved in front of the main door.
    Last edited by Drummerdude; 5th September 2011 at 8:37 PM.

Good luck at the Elite 4 Drummerdude.
    I decided I wanted to do one more normal playthrough on Soul Silver before I do a mono on it, so I've been doing that, since I've only beaten Red on this like, once. I'm starting one on Ruby though, so you can go suggest types for that.

I used every single Rare Candy I had to evolve Pupitar into Tyranitar. Now it is time for the Elite 4!

I entered the first room and took on Will. Sudowoodo went up against his Xatu and scored a critical hit Rock Slide to knock it out. I used Tyranitar to take out Slowbro thanks to having a super effective Crunch. Magcargo took out Jynx with Lave Plume but fell to Exeggutor so I had Tyranitar defeated it. Lastly was Xatu. Sudowoodo fainted to a Psychic so Golem came in and won me the first match.

Koga is a moron. I am convinced that this is true. Magcargo starts off the match against Ariados. One Lava Plume later and Ariados is down. So he sends in Forretress........yeah. One Lave Plume later and it faints too. So he sends in Venomoth..............................yeah. One Lave Plume and Venomoth is defeated. I switched to Golem to take out Muk. Sudowoodo went in and had a lot of luck against Crobat. It used Double Team three times and Rock Slide would not miss. After his defeat I healed up and headed into the next room.

Tyranitar started off the fight with Bruno with a few Earthquakes to take out Hitmontop. Corsola knocked out Onix with a single Surf. I sent in Golem to take on Hitmonlee. It used Swagger and I managed to not hurt myself and knock it out with an Earthquake. Hitmonchan is next and Golem snapped out of confusion and knocks Hitmonchan out with an Earthquake! Machamp proved difficult. It took out Golem so I sent in Shuckle to poison it. Then it became a stalling battle. I had brought it down enough to where Tyranitar could finish it off with an Earthqauke. I healed up and saved.

Current Team

I told myself I would fight an Elite 4 member after I read a book of The Iliad. I have only read 3 books so I have only fought 3 members. Curse my laziness!!
    Last edited by Drummerdude; 6th September 2011 at 8:16 PM.

I easily wiped out all the trainers in the gym, and then I faced Gardenia. I was worried that my team was a little under-leveled, but actually, we completely destroyed her. OHKOed everything except Roserade, and even then Leann took her out in two hits.

Outside the gym, there seemed to be some trouble at the Galactic headquarters, so I decided to see what was going on. Inside, I defeated the grunts without any real difficulty and continued going upstairs. At the top, I confronted Jupiter, one of Galactic's commanders. Her Zubat was easily disposed of but her Skuntank... ugh. Her Skuntank completely ripped apart my team with Night Slash... but Vanessa was finally able to make it faint out of pure luck...

After I healed, I got a new bike, an egg, and an Explorer's Kit. I decided to use the bike first, so I headed down Cycling Road, where I trained a bit, but really I just rode around for what seemed like hours... However, it was worth it, because my new team member, Felix the Togepi, hatched. I slapped the Exp. Share on him and continued on my way.

On Route 206, I battled the hikers, and I also searched the grass feverishly. Finally, after what seemed like YEARS of searching... A Gligar named Lulu appeared. It took probably just as long to catch her, but finally, I captured her, and another spot on the team is filled! : )

Current Team:

Leann Lvl 26

She is definitely one of my top runners now. I wonder how she will be once she is a Crobat...

Vanessa Lvl 25

Still strong and very dependable.

Oliver Lvl 25

This guy is slowly getting better and better every day : )

Felix Lvl 20

Just hatched him, plus I never raised a Togepi before. So I don't know what to think yet!

Lulu Lvl 16

In the same boat as Felix. I have never caught a Gligar before. Should be interesting!
    Please check out my nuzlocke!!
    Ashley's Emerald Cursed Nuzlocke Zetaboard
    or if you prefer:
    Ashley's Emerald Cursed Nuzlocke DA

My favorite pokemon:

----><----

Doing monotype challenges is so fun. I'm enjoying my current challenge right now.

And my heart monotype challenge begins. Before starting I was thinking about what type I would like, looking at pokemon I enjoyed using throughout the games and some I would like to have, thinking of this I chose to begin a ground monotype challenge. Starting; I chose Chikorita so my rival would have cyndaquil and co.. I rushed through the beginning part to where I was given a pokeball, proceeding into the area I knew contained the first of my team, a geodude. After a relatively short battle I was the proud owner of a level 2 geodude. I trained this up into violet city where I managed to fight through sprout tower (wasn't easy I can tell you that) and easily walked through the first gym with thanks to rock throw, everything being OHKO'd apart from pidgeotto who took 2. I received the egg and have saved (will resume playing later when it becomes night-time, to help me out)

Current Team

level 16

I entered Karen's room and began my fourth battle. I started off with Shuckle against her Umbreon. I managed to get a Toxic off and stalled it until it fainted thanks to many Full Restores and Potions. She used Gengar next so I used Tyranitar. Gengar used Destiny Bond so we both fainted. Next was Vileplume who went down thanks to Magcargo. She used Houndoom so I sent in Golem and it fainted to an Earthquake. Lastly was Murkrow, but Sudowoodo's Rock Slide took care of it. I healed and headed into the last room.

This was it, my last battle. I walked into the room and discovered that Lance was the champion. He sent out Gyarados so I used Corsola. Corsola got a Power Gym before falling in battle. I used Tyranitar who knocked Gyarados out with a Stone Edge. He used his Lv50 Dragonite and I used Magcargo. It used Outrage which brought Magcargo to 3HP but I got a Yawn in. It defeated Magcargo so I switched to Sudowoodo when it fell asleep. I tried Rock Slide but it didn't do much damage so I just weakening it with other moves until I knew Rock Slide could defeat it. Luckily it had stayed asleep this whole time. Next was another Dragonite so I used Shuckle and managed to Poison it before it knocked out Shuckle so Tyranitar had to take it out with Stone Edge. He sent in another Dragonite while I used Golem. I wasted a few turns healing and reviving my team while it knocked out Golem. I switched to Corsola and hurt it somewhat before it defeated Corsola. I sent in Sudowoodo who defeated it with Rock Slide. He used Charizard so Sudowoodo used Rock Slide and knocked it out. Lastly was Aerodactyl. I used Tyranitar's Stone Edge and....it fainted! I won!!!!

Current Team

I am going to continue this challenge until I earn all 16 badges. Because my team will not be changing I will not be posting my team until my last post because I am lazy. But I will continue posting about my journey through Kanto.

i really enjoy reading your monotypes drummerdude , so i want more monotypes from you

I went shopping at the Veilstone City Department Store, then I flew to Celestic Town. I had to get to Lake Acuity next in order to check on my rival, so I headed west towards Mt. Coronet. I got inside, and I had Bibarel use Strength in order to push boulders out of the way. I then made it to the cavern there, and I battled some of the wild Pokemon. I tried fishing for a Feebas, but I wasn't able to find one, so I continued through Mt. Coronet. I eventually reached the exit, and I arrived at Route 216. There was snow everywhere, and that made me nervous since I knew that there would be hail conditions. I battled the first few trainers on the route, and I was able to keep my Pokemon healthy by healing them with Potions after the battles. I continued to move until I reached a rest house in the middle of the route.

- Empoleon level 44
    - Gyarados level 41
    - Golduck level 41
    - Floatzel level 40
    - Bibarel level 40
    - Gastrodon level 40

This is just a quick update about my ground monotype, from last night. Continuing from where I left, I exited Violet City south, heading onto route 32, here I caught my next team member, a wooper! After catching this I proceeded into Union Cave and without too much difficulty thanks to my new wooper I found myself in Azelea town. Here I saved for the night.

Current Team

level 17

level 12

P.S. Anyone know a quicker way to find the sprite's of pokemon, because it takes me a while.

Quote Originally Posted by b0bg0blin View Post
    This is just a quick update about my ground monotype, from last night. Continuing from where I left, I exited Violet City south, heading onto route 32, here I caught my next team member, a wooper! After catching this I proceeded into Union Cave and without too much difficulty thanks to my new wooper I found myself in Azelea town. Here I saved for the night.

Current Team

level 17

level 12

P.S. Anyone know a quicker way to find the sprite's of pokemon, because it takes me a while.
    As long as you know their national dex number, you can type it out quickly. For example, Celebi, is national dex number 251, so you'd type it like this (without spaces): ; 251 ; , so to show you without spaces:

This works for every pokemon in the first 4 generations, with 5th gen you use : instead of ;

For some reason I woke up back in my house and my mom told me to go Professor Elm's lab. So I went there and he gave me a SS Ticket. I went to Olivine and got aboard the SS Aqua. I battled the trainers on the upper floor before going downstairs and needing to find some sleeping worker, which I found and battled. Eventually I had to play hide and seek with a little girl but I found her. The boat had arrived in Vermillion City so I exited the boat and found myself in a new land...

I wondered around this new city known as Vermillion City for quite some time. There was a sleeping Pokemon blocking my path on one side but there was also a gym! I went inside the gym and discovered that it was an Electric Gym. Golem proved strong by defeating the three trainers inside the gym. I healed my team, found the two switches in the garbage cans, and started my battle with Lt Surge. Golem started off the match defeating his Raichu, Magneton, and Electrode with Earthquake. His Electabuzz knocked out Golem so I switched to Shuckle. As is always the case with Shuckle it became a matter of stalling. Eventually Toxic did the job and made Electabuzz faint. He sent in Electrode and I decided to be a rebel and keep using Shuckle. Again it was all about stalling (I want to point out that this may be the first time I have ever had to rely on stalling with a Pokemon ever. Usually I only go all out with attacks so this is a different experience for me which is what I love about these Monotypes!) Eventually Electrode fainted and Lt Surge gave me a badge! I went north of the city because there was no where else for me to go and defeated the few trainers there before taking a break.

@Drummer you didn't add your team?

@Aura Guardian, Your Flying Mono team looks really cool. Probably because Yanmega is in it xD

Credit to Neo Pikachu for the Weavile banner.

Quote Originally Posted by Doxik View Post
    i really enjoy reading your monotypes drummerdude , so i want more monotypes from you
    Don't worry! I shall be doing more monotype playthroughs!
    Quote Originally Posted by PokeTrainerJay View Post
    @Drummer you didn't add your team?
    Since my team will remain the same through the duration of Kanto I decided not to post it since everyone knows it.

I arrived in Saffron City and explored for a little while. I decided I did not want to fight Sabrina yet so I headed west to Celadon City. Again I decided I did not want to fight Erika yet so I took Cycling Road down to Fushcia City. I entered the gym and began to defeat the various Janine's scattered throughout. Eventually I arrived in front of the real Janine and began the battle. I started with Sudowoodo who made quick work of Crobat. I tried Corsola out against Weezing but she used Explosion and caused us both to faint. Magcargo took out Ariados, Tyranitar defeated Venomoth, and Golem defeated Ariados. I secured my 10th badge and flew back to Saffron.

I entered the Saffron gym and began stepping on tiles. I fought a few trainers while I was randomly teleporting around but soon I was in front of Sabrina. I chose Tyranitar to start off the battle and swept her team with Crunch. I wasn't even paying attention to the battle because the television was on so I do not know exactly what happened but I won so I left.

I ran to Celadon and went to the gym with Magcargo in the lead. We pwned the first few trainers and then made our way through the maze before confronting Erika. Magcargo took out Jumpluff, Tangela, and Victreebel with Lava Plume because Jumpluff started the battle with Sunny Day. It took a combination of Shuckle and Golem to defeat Bellossom. I got my 12th badge and saved.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeTrainerJay View Post
    @Aura Guardian, Your Flying Mono team looks really cool. Probably because Yanmega is in it xD
    Thanks. I chose to use Yanmega over Scyther because I've already used Scyther in 2 previous challenges (Both weren't Monotype btw). Plus it's a really cool Pokemon. Would have been nice if it had Speed Boost instead of Tinted Lens but oh well. I mean...I found Yanma outside of a swarm, that's good enough.

The first time I used Scyther was in a "Little Cup" challenge in Crystal where I only use Base Form Pokemon. Another one of the Pokemon on my team was a Shiny Elekid I hatched from the Odd Egg
    The second time is another "Little Cup" Challenge in Platinum which I'm (slowly) doing right now. Yeah Scyther is really useful. I also chose Yanmega over it because I wanted to try something new.
    Last edited by Aura Flare Riolu; 7th September 2011 at 7:39 PM.

Previously:

-Got chikarita
    -Did begin part
    -Traded over eggs
    -Lotad hatched
    -Cacnea hatched
    -Defeated sprout tower
    -Defeated first gym
    -Got Togepi egg

After I got the Togepi egg I went to the Union Cave and on my way there, my Chikarita -> Bayleef and my Lotad -> Lombre. Took care of all the trainers figuring I could use the exp a lot. I healed my Pokemon, and went through the Union Cave taking care of all the trainers, and exiting the cave. I arrived in Azelea Town, met Kurt, healed my pokes, and went to the Slowpoke Well where I defeated Team Rocket.

Next up was my Rival, I defeated his Gastly with my Lombre's Astonish. After that he send out his Zubat, which fell to my Lombre aswell after a few Fury Swipes. Then was his Quilava which also got beaten by my Lombre, the fact that Nature power turned in to Earthquack helped a lot. After that was done I got Hm01 Cut after the whole farfetched idea of getting his birds back. And I decided to do a bit of training before the gym because that Scyther will probably 1HKO most of my Pokemon with a bit of training. After I did that I challlenged Bugsy.

Bugsy send out Scyther, I send out Bayleef, He used Leer, I used PoisonPowder. Scyther was Poisoned, the first step in my plan. After that he used Focus energy. I used Reflect. I switched to Lombre, He used Leer. He used Leer again, I used Nature power - Tri Attack. Scyther used U-turn, Lombre at about half hp. he switched in Kakuna, I used another Tri-attack. next turn I healed my Lombre back to full Health. He send in his Scyther again, I send in Cacnea, I tried to use Leech Seed, but he got me with U-turn before I could attack, He switched in Metapod, I switched in Lombre which took care of it easily. He switched back in his Scyther again, I switched in Bayleef. he used U-turn, I used U-turn, I healed my Bayleef back to full health, and eventualy took care of his Scyther. After finally defeating, (previous attempts ended in me getting critted twice very conveniantly)
    I healed my Pokemons and went for Goldenrod City, on my way I tought Cacnea Headbutt and defeated several trainers. When I arrived at Goldenrod I healed up and went to the National park for my next pokemon, trying to avoid as many trainers as posible to train it after I got it. I headbutted a tree and caught Exeggcute at level 15 (I was suprised that it was actualy on a decent level) I went back to Goldenrod trained Exeggcute a bit on the left over trainers, and saved.

Team
    Lombre level 20
    -Astonish
    -Fury Swipes
    -Absorb
    -Nature Power

Cacnea Level 20
    -Poison Sting
    -Headbutt
    -Absorb
    -Leech Seed

Exeggcute Level 17
    -Uproar
    -Hypnosis
    -Bullet Seed
    -Leech Seed

Bayleef Level 22
    -Magical Leaf
    -PoisonPowder
    -Reflect
    -Synthesis

To be Continued.
    Last edited by 7 tyranitars; 8th September 2011 at 9:25 PM.
        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast