Thread: 6th Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

Default 6th Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

4th Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

Games in this gen: X&Y

What is a Monotype Challenge?

A Monotype challenge is one in which you can only use Pokemon of a specific type to beat the game from start to finish (ie beating the champion and seeing the credits). For instance if you say try a Grass Monotype Challenge, you can only use Grass Type Pokemon found in the game.

Rules

• Please read the Challenge Forum rules before posting.
    • Pokemon are allowed to have two typings. For instance, Butterfree would be acceptable on both a flying team and a bug team.
    • Legendaries and traded Pokemon (not counting in-game trades or trades for evolution purposes only) are not allowed.
    • Note some types (like Dragon types typically) are not viable to use for such a challenge due to a lack of availability of them early in the game, or at all.
    • If you pick a starter that is not of your type, then it may not be used after you have obtained one Pokemon of your chosen type.
    • You may have Pokemon of another type in your team, but only as HM slaves - they may not be used in battles.
    • Post only on this thread to either state which type you are doing, your current progress or to ask for suggestions on which Pokemon to use.
    • If you wise to impose any other restrictions on yourself feel free to do so and mention them!

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: The Coffee Guy's Rants: Remakes! He doesn't like them.
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Uh it says 4th Gen instead of 6th Gen in the post. :/

I am currently doing a Fairy monotype Challenge in Pokemon Y right now. I just beat the Kalos Power Plant and heading to Lumiose City to challenge the Gym.

Current Team:
    Mega Gardevoir Lv39
    Florges Lv34
    Slurpuff Lv41
    Sylveon Lv38
    Azumarill Lv34

BAN TALONFLAME TO UBERS!

So I have a question. Say I use a Charizard in a Flying monotype challenge in Pokémon X, am I allowed to mega evolve it? Charizard technically stays a Flying type the whole game, only becoming a Dragon if it mega evolves. But, it still does lose it Flying type for the duration of the battle.
    Yellow Team

Current Pokémon Y Team Members
    Greninja, Venusaur, Blaziken, Raichu, Tyrantrum, Mr. Mime

Pokémon X Planned Team Members
    Chesnaught, Charizard, Vespiquen, Jynx, Jolteon, Lucario

Quote Originally Posted by ECM View Post
    So I have a question. Say I use a Charizard in a Flying monotype challenge in Pokémon X, am I allowed to mega evolve it? Charizard technically stays a Flying type the whole game, only becoming a Dragon if it mega evolves. But, it still does lose it Flying type for the duration of the battle.
    Probably but it really goes against the challenge. :/

BAN TALONFLAME TO UBERS!

I was thinking for a while to do a Bug monotype in my Y game. With X being my main game and having Bank, I will bank away my starter and give my character my favorite Pokémon instead (wich is Scyther)

I will also use the following rules:

Starters will be switched for a Bug type.
    Only Bug types will be used in battles. Dual types are allowed.
    No Doubles.
    Only the first Bug found on the route will be used. (The first places I go have some Bugs but many don't. So I don't use that rule. Maybe I'm still a bit in Nuzlocke mode)
    All Pokémon will get nicknames upon cathing.
    Shiny Pokémon may be caught, but only used if they are Bug Type.
    Battle format is SET.
    HM slaves may be non-Bug.
    The game will be played in German. (My German is getting rusty and I like to practice languages. Don't worry I'm Dutch )

Playthrough until now:

-Playing as a guy and named him Mantodea (the order of the mantis species)
    -Told my new friends to call me Bug Meister.
    -Did Teirno just called Trevor (named Trovato in German) Trovato-Tomato? -_-'
    -Choose Chespin nicknamed Nutty as my starter (Igamaro in German)
    -Realised that I can't get my Scyther from the box until Santalune City, because acces to a computer is needed (facepalm)
    -Defeated Shauna (Sannah)
    -Serena gave a masterclass Pokémon catching and me some Pokéballs.
    -After some long walking in the grass, I found a bug in the grasses of route 2. A female Scatterbug (Purmel) I was planning to name her Rainbow (for the many different colours Vivillon can get) but pushed accidently the wrong button. (don't ask me how). So until I reach Camprhier Town, she will live with the name R. Her nature is serious. Okay, so I have now a serious R? Yeah right.
    -Grinding R against wild Pokémon. Nutty helps out by actually battling. I will not use Nutty against trainers.

Team members:

R lvl 2 Tackle, Fadenschuss (String Shot)

(temporaly)
    Nutty lvl 5 Tackle, Heuler (Growl), Rankenheib (Vine Whip)

(incoming member)
    Shinobi
    Last edited by Pink Harzard; 30th March 2014 at 7:43 PM.
    I'm a Christian and I have autism. Both makes people special. Does this mean I'm double special? The answer is ''No'' because everyone is equally special.

Due to personal stuff, I'm not as often online as I was before. I'm sorry if this causes any inconvenience.

And this Future seems to be a Wild one
    Claimed Scyther

Thanks to Chapter of Charizard for the Button

Getting curious what those letters in the button stand for? Find the introduction of the PASBL here

Quote Originally Posted by Zelphon View Post
    The notion that one's maturity is desided by what they enjoy is steeped in immaturity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Guy View Post
    Arceus gave zero ****s that day...

I've decided to do a Water Monotype Challenge on my spare Y version. I chose my character and awoke in my bedroom in Vaniville Town. I headed downstairs and spoke to my mom. I met Serena and Shauna outside, then I explored the town a bit before going after them to get my Starter Pokemon. I arrived at Route 1 after looking around Vaniville Town. I passed through the route easily and arrived in Aquacorde Town. I encountered Serena and Shauna again and I met Tierno and Trevor as well. After getting a nickname from them, I chose my Starter (Froakie) and Serena and Shauna got their Starters as well. I got the Pokedex from Trevor and the Prof's Letter from Tierno. With all that settled, I got ready to leave town.

- Lv. 5

Here I am again, to update my buggy adventure. If you care or not, here are the things that happened:

-Captured female Caterpie and named her Flutters.
    -Captured female Weedle and named her Buzzkil, after a Beedril from a Nuzlocke comic. Kill is written as kil, thanks to the censor.
    -R evolves into Spewpa.
    -Flutters evolves into Metapod.
    -Buzzkil evolves into Kakuna.
    -Got in Santalune City.
    -Banked Nutty and got Shinobi from Bank.
    -Went back to route 2 to get some HM slaves.
    -Got male Pidgey and nicknamed him Flappy. (had a lack of inspiration.)
    -Got female Zigzagoon with pickup. I''m so happy with that. I just love finding items with that cutie. Named her Blurred line, because of the running the Zigzagoon and Linoone species do.
    -Did some training until lvl 10. Buzzkil and Flutters are now both fully evolved.

Team Members

R lvl 10
    Flutters lvl 10
    Buzzkil lvl 10
    Shinobi lvl 10

HM Slaves

Blurred Line lvl 3
    Flappy lvl 3

Banked
    Nutty lvl 8

Due to lack of time this update is a bit poor. Sorry in advance. Next one will be better. I had some time now and made the list better. I haven't advanced in the game yet. Maybe a new update comes, at most early, tommorow.
    Last edited by Pink Harzard; 1st April 2014 at 8:24 PM.
    I'm a Christian and I have autism. Both makes people special. Does this mean I'm double special? The answer is ''No'' because everyone is equally special.

Due to personal stuff, I'm not as often online as I was before. I'm sorry if this causes any inconvenience.

Claimed Scyther

Getting curious what those letters in the button stand for? Find the introduction of the PASBL here

The notion that one's maturity is desided by what they enjoy is steeped in immaturity.

I hurried back to Route 1 in order to deliver the Prof's Letter to my mom, but I was stopped by Shauna before leaving Aquacorde Town and we battled. She used Fennekin and I used Froakie and I defeated Fennekin with Froakie's Bubble. I went back to Route 1 afterwards and once I was back at Vaniville Town, I entered my house and gave the letter to my mom. She said I could go on my Pokemon journey and I got the Town Map from her before heading out again. I went back to Route 1 and arrived in Aquacorde Town. I wandered around some more and picked up a Potion from a man, but I decided to buy a few more at a shop just in case. I headed north to Route 2 afterwards and I obtained Poke Balls from Serena.

- Lv. 5

Hello there, new Bug update. Today was a big day for my bugs, I challanged Viola after some training. I actually got nervous before the gym battle, something new for me. Maybe it was because I don't have a Pokémon with Fire/Flying type moves with me. But my Bugs did an awesome job. Thanks to them, I accesed route 4 and caught two more Bugs, a Ledyba and a Combee. I will train them before going to Lumiose City.

Team Members

Queena lvl 7
    Lady lvl 8
    R lvl 13
    Flutters lvl 13
    Buzzkil lvl 14
    Shinobi lvl 14

HM Slaves

Blurred Line lvl 3
    Flappy lvl 3

Banked
    Nutty lvl 8

Claimed Scyther

I walked along Route 2 and went into the tall grass after learning how to catch Pokemon and receiving Poke Balls from Serena. I encountered several wild Pokemon including a Scatterbug and Zigzagoon and I had my Froakie battle them for some more experience. After that I walked around and a wild Fletchling showed up and I battled it too. I kept wandering around the tall grass and I encountered a Bunnelby after a while and beat it with Bubble. I headed back to Aquacorde Town to heal Froakie and then I went back to Route 2 where I battled more wild Pokemon before continuing north. I encountered a Youngster and I beat his Zigzagoon with Froakie. I then saved before entering the Santalune Forest.

- Lv. 8

After some training at route 4, I went to Lumiose City. I met the professor and choose Charmander to get a Charizardite Y. This will be banked including the Charmander named Charry. I did some training at route 5, got some honey and battled Tierno. I also renamed R into Rainbow like I was planning from the start. I'm now getting close to meet the sleeping Snorlax. I know I can find some new Bugs and I plan to rotate the team sometimes.

Team Members

In Party

Queena lvl 17
    Lady lvl 17
    Rainbow lvl 17
    Flutters lvl 17
    Buzzkil lvl 17
    Shinobi lvl 17

Boxed Bugs
    None yet

HM Slaves

Blurred Line lvl 3
    Flappy lvl 3

Banked and not available in the Challenge
    Nutty lvl 8
    Charry lvl 10

Claimed Scyther

Upon entering the Santalune Forest, I met up with Shauna once again and she followed me around and healed my Froakie when I spoke to her. I wandered around the tall grass around the forest and I battled a wild Caterpie and Pikachu after walking around for a few minutes. I also picked up various items around the forest floor and I saw Tierno and Trevor hanging around the forest as well. I battled against a Youngster and then I met Serena again. After getting a Poke Ball from her I battled against some other trainers including a Lass with a Pikachu that gave Froakie a hard time; I had to use Bubble several times to beat it. I met up with my friends and we headed into Route 3 where I received the Adventure Rules.

- Lv. 11

A lot of things have happened. Not story-wise but a lot with my team. Well, where to start? I caught a Venipede and in that same run my Ledyba evolved. Lady is now a Ledian. I'm so proud of her ^^. I've been hunting for some Burmy too, realising I forgot them. The male is now in training and the females will follow soon. I've also got a Nincada. One slot will stay open in case it evolves in a Ninjask to get a Shedinja. I'm currently rotating my Bugs and also trying to evolve my HM slave to enable Surfing. The goal is now to get all my Bugs at lvl 20 before I confront Snorlax.

Fun fact: the German name of Snorlax is Relaxo. That made me laugh.

Team Members

In Party

Jerry lvl 12
    Fernando lvl 13
    Zalazar lvl 16
    Queena lvl 20
    Blurred Line lvl 10

Boxed Bugs

Sam lvl 5
    Alex lvl 5
    Glover lvl 5
    Lady lvl 18
    Rainbow lvl 20
    Flutters lvl 18
    Buzzkil lvl 18
    Shinobi lvl 17

HM Slaves

Flappy lvl 3

Nutty lvl 8
    Charry lvl 10

Claimed Scyther

I roamed Route 3 towards Santalune City. I battled a few more trainers along the path and struggled against one of their Pichu, and then I explored the tall grass as well to train my Froakie some more. I battled a wild Azurill in the grass and then I picked up a Super Potion that was in the area. I finally arrived at Santalune City after that and I visited the Pokemon Center straight away. I met Tierno again inside and he explained all about how to heal my Pokemon and about the PC and purchasing items and such. I bought some more Poke Balls after healing my Pokemon, then I headed out to explore the town a bit. I found a house where a Farfetch'd could be traded to me, but I couldn't since I didn't have a Bunnelby.

- Lv. 13

Sorry for the hold-up, but the Bug time is back. My other Burmy's are now Wormmadam. I have caught a Volbeat and a Illumise. At the moment I will enter Glittering Cave. I have used the exp-share so some Pokémon have a higher level than I planned.

Team Members

In Party

Rainbow lvl 21
    Zalazar lvl 22
    Fernando lvl 22
    Flutters lvl
    Shinobi lvl 22
    Blurred Line lvl 24

Boxed Bugs

Buzzkil lvl 20
    Lady lvl 21
    Alonso lvl 22
    Queena lvl 22
    Jerry lvl 20
    Sam lvl 20
    Alex lvl 20
    Glover lvl 20
    Romeo lvl 21
    Julia lvl 21

HM Slaves

Flappy lvl 3

Nutty lvl 8
    Charry lvl 10

Claimed Scyther

I continued to explore various areas as I moved around Santalune City and I obtained a Great Ball inside one of the local houses. I wandered northward, but I was stopped by Viola's sister Alexa. Apparently I wasn't allowed to leave the city until I beat Gym Leader Viola, so I headed back south and I visited the Trainers' School and picked up some items there. As I made my way to the Santalune City Gym, I encountered a Roller Skater trainer and I battled her Zigzagoon. Froakie defeated it easily and I obtained roller skates of my own afterwards. I healed my Froakie at the local Pokemon Center after that and I purchased more items as well. I went out to Route 22 in order to battle some trainers and wild Pokemon.

- Lv. 14

I got bored so i put every single pokemon in my game into the pokemon bank and have started over my game. since i have access to all my old pokemon i'm going to take 6 normal types at lvl 1 from my old game and am gonna do a monotype challenge. my team will start with Buneary, Litleo, Kangaskhan, Munchlax, Hoothoot, and Minccino.

wish me luck and i'll post progress updates occasionally.
    Last edited by juffate; 24th September 2014 at 1:40 AM.
    Pokemon X FC: 1822-1178-9012
    IGN:Robbie

Trinity League Badges Won

Resuming my monotype challenge, I visited the Santalune City PC after winning the Bug Badge. After healing my Pokemon there, I planned to go to Route 4/Parterre Way. I met Alexa before leaving Santalune City and I obtained the Exp. Share from her. Once I had finally arrived on Route 4, I wandered around and explored the yellow flowers around the route. I encountered many Pokemon and found and battled a wild Skitty, Budew, and Ralts in the flowers and battled a few trainers for the experience. I moved around the labyrinth of hedges and I arrived at the fountain in the middle of Parterre Way. I battled against Gardeners and their Corphish and against Roller Skaters, Poke Fans, and Preschoolers as well.

- Lv. 17
    - Lv. 13

Just started a Monotype Poison challenge. Wow... this one has got to be the toughest >.> Only Weedle is available until after Santalune.

-Received Fennekin

-Caught Weedle

-Boxed Fennekin

-Weedle evolved into Kakuna

-Kakuna evolved into Beedrill

-Beat Santalune gym

-Caught a Budew

Here is my team so far-

Beenie the Beedrill- Lv. 18

Buddy the Budew- Lv. 17
    Proud owner of the Master League~

Userbar and badge made by broomstig.
    Claimed Reuniclus
    Ask.fm/DeviantArt

So back on my Water Monotype, I skated through Route 4 and I trained my Frogadier and Psyduck some more and I eventually arrived at the gate that led into Lumiose City. I encountered Professor Sycamore's two assistants Sina and Dexio first though before entering. I spoke to them and got the Return TM as I prepared to enter Lumiose City. Once I was there, I visited Professor Sycamore's Lab nearby on South Boulevard. I met Professor Sycamore on the third floor of his lab and Serena and Shauna showed up as well after Professor Sycamore spoke to me. I battled him and I beat his Kanto Starters after some difficulty. I was allowed to have a Kanto Starter after that and I chose Squirtle and got a Blastoisinite.

- Lv. 18
    - Lv. 15
    - Lv. 10