Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 5th Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Scorpio View Post
    I do have access to trading but the problem I have with that is that boosted experience throws the whole thing off. Makes it less challenging anyway. At the same time, after getting two badges it seems a little wasted to jump into a challenge.

I'd really like to do Bug because I really have never seriously used a Bug-type. But perhaps i'll look into something else that is obtainable earlier...
    Eggs hatched on your own game have your OT, and therefore will not gain booseted experience.

I myself was thinking of starting a Bug monotype, and as Ememew said you can trade an egg over after the first gym, so the challenge is still there.
    been gone for like two years but I'm back and better than ever

So I started the Bug Monotype in Black.
    I picked Snivy and nicknamed it Orochimaru and used it up until I got the C-Gear and Palpad when it finally let me trade. I traded for an egg and hatched it into a Pinsir, naming it Getsuga.
    I then spent time training him and moving towards the second gym. He solo'd the second gym and then I made my way to the forest. I caught a Sewaddle, named it Kusanagi. Then I caught a Venipede and named it La Muerte. Now i'm training those two before hunting down Team Plasma and the skull.

Team:
    Getsuga, lv. 20
    ;540; Kusanagi, Lv. 15
    ;543; La Muerte, Lv. 19

White Water Monotype Part 1

My first ever Monotype challenge began with a package. The package that Professor Juniper always sends with your first Pokemon. I, obviously picked Oshawott, because, well, what other starter do you pick for a water monotype? And of course, my arch nemesis 'friend' (who I can't stand) Bianca, picks Tepig and wants a battle. She was easy to beat, but our battle totally trashed my room (except my Wii, which I have deduced is indestructable).

How they did that much damage just by tackling each other and wagging their tails, I'll never figure.

Anyway, Cheren and Bianca heal my Pokeball, and suprise, suprise, Cheren wants to battle me. He puts up more of a fight than Bianca, but is still pretty easy to beat. We go downstairs and Cheren and Bianca apologize for totally trashing my room (which I had nothing to do with) and we left to see Juniper. There was probably some reason Bianca and Cheren decided we'd go (without asking for my opinion, jerks) but I wasn't paying attention.

Cheren wouldn't let me in her lab unless I got Bianca. I suggested we ditch her and travel Unova free of suffering, but he made me get her. I walked into her house without knocking, and she was arguing with her dad, who didn't want her to go. I prayed her father wouldn't let her, but she disobeyed and went anyway. Dang.

So, long story short, Juniper gave us our Pokedexes, sent us on our journey, and let me nickname my Oshawott Bubbles. I ditched Cheren and Bianca, and started my monotype, finally finishing, the boring, pointless, begining part.
    Current Team
    Bubbles Lv 7
    Pokemon isn't real, I'm sorry

I am ready! This team'll do:
    , , , , ,
    Sigilyph uses imitation to beat his opponents, Reuniclus is an anti-dark Psychic Pokémon, which has Focus Blast, Gothitelle steals items, Musharna eats dreams (Which turn out to be his favorite food, in fact), Victini is legendary, and I put Elgyem in my team just because she's a Psychic Pokémon.

Credit to Shadow♠ for the pins
    Planned New Black Team: ,, or ,,,

Put this in your signature...
    ...if you want Hoenn Remakes...
    ...This was started by KirbyRider...

Tyler's Ice Mono-Challenge Journal Entry #1 (Exposition)
    Rules~~
    1. The allowance of a single imported egg from another game.
    2. This egg will be bred by two newly caught, unchecked wild Pokemon so that the hatchling will resemble a naturally untouched (IV, EV, Egg move-wise, ability) caught Pokemon.
    3. I've decided on a Lapras.
    4. -Removed-
    5. No other form of trading will take place outside of initial egg.
    6. I will run from all Audino battles.
    7. No items may be used during battle.
    8. Rare Candies are off-limits.
    9. I will choose Snivy to give me more resistant Rivals (Cheren - Tepig [Fire resist to Ice], Bianca - Oshawatt [Water resist to Water and Ice.]
    10. Due to a lack of ice types in the game, an allowance of two other-region "finds" (Trades - Level 1 newly hatched, same parameters as Lapras). One upon earning the fourth badge and one upon earning the eighth badge.
    10. Any additional thought-up rules may be added.

I will start soon. Right now I'm working on a Lapras parent from the lower bridge. And I will catch a fresh Ditto after that and breed the two to hatch and trade to Pokemon White. Can't wait to begin.

I'm now getting the new egg to "Sounds can be Heard" stage with a Flame Body hatcher and a bicycle.

Scratch it. Changed my mind. This section just isn't lively enough for me to dedicate the time and the game to this purpose. Perhaps another day.
    Last edited by Pzykikscream; 2nd February 2012 at 4:56 PM.

Restarting all of my Games.
    Progress shown here.
    Started - 2/1/2012

Spoiler:- Pokemon Leaf Green:

Spoiler:- Pokemon Fire Red:

Spoiler:- Pokemon Heart Gold:

Spoiler:- Pokemon Soul Silver:

Spoiler:- Pokemon Emerald:

Spoiler:- Pokemon Pearl:

Spoiler:- Pokemon Diamond:

Spoiler:- Pokemon Platinum:

Spoiler:- Pokemon Black:

Spoiler:- Pokemon White:

i wanna start a 5th gen monotype challenge, but not quite sure what type to choose o.o
    any ideas? something more unsusal maybe. any pokemon from any gen, since im not actually starting fully over, just training them from lvl 1 till the elite four (60+)
    Pokemon White Version:
    Name - Shiri
    Chat name - TNTturtle
    FC - 0346 9068 2458
        Spoiler:- Current DWFs for trade:

Emerald monotype run #1: DARK Uprising (6 Princes of Hell) - full team at 12 hrs
    Lucifer (39) Belphagor (41) Mammon (38) Beelzebub (34) Leviathan (35) Asmodeus (39)

Quote Originally Posted by terrytorterra View Post
    i wanna start a 5th gen monotype challenge, but not quite sure what type to choose o.o
    any ideas? something more unsusal maybe. any pokemon from any gen, since im not actually starting fully over, just training them from lvl 1 till the elite four (60+)
    well the point of a monotype is to start the game over and beat all the gyms and stuff. Pretty pointless if you are basically just making a team with all same type for the eleite 4
    Latest Shiny!

Chain fish in Cyllage City in Pokemon X!

3DS FC: 4682 - 8902 - 8849
    PM me if you decide to add me. Psychic Friend Safari with Xatu, Munna and Espurr.

well no what i meant was to get a team and train them from lvl 1, with no trainers, no gym leaders, only battling wild pokemon. since wild pokemon give less exp than trainers' pokemon, it may take slightly longer. thats what i was thinking, but it doesn't matter now anyways, i got another challenge started on the scramble forums.
    Pokemon White Version:
    Name - Shiri
    Chat name - TNTturtle
    FC - 0346 9068 2458

Emerald monotype run #1: DARK Uprising (6 Princes of Hell) - full team at 12 hrs
    Lucifer (39) Belphagor (41) Mammon (38) Beelzebub (34) Leviathan (35) Asmodeus (39)

just got a new black version game, and i wanna do another monotype team.
    throw me some challenges, i can get any pokemon through my old white version.
    Pokemon White Version:
    Name - Shiri
    Chat name - TNTturtle
    FC - 0346 9068 2458

So, having picked up Black the other day, Real Soon Now I'll be doing a Pan-Generational Monotype Run. That means one Pokemon from each of the five generations so far, and all of the same type. I picked the type randomly, and got the rarest of them all, Ghost.

Gengar and Misdreavus, from 1st and 2nd Gens, are thus obligatory. From 3rd Gen, I think I'll take Shedinja, it's Hoenn's most memorable ghost and a real left-field Pokemon.

The 4th Gen member I'm unsure on. Leaning towards Froslass at the moment, fast and the STAB ice attacks should be nice. Rotom's cool too, but I have used it before.

The 5th Gen member I likewise haven't decided. All four candidates have their appeal.

cantab if i was you id think about getting golurk since it would be the only physical tank on your team
    3DS FC 1220 - 6490 - 8008

cantab, you should use drifblim for 4th gen and jellicent for 5th gen
    Pokemon White Version:
    Name - Shiri
    Chat name - TNTturtle
    FC - 0346 9068 2458

I started a mono-type grass challenge on Black.I picked up Snivy from the gift box and defeated my friends Cheren and Bianca.

Current Team:
    Snivy
        Spoiler:- Completed and Current Playthroughs:

Nicknamed the Snivy 'Snaky'.On route 1 caught a Patrat for using HMs.Defeated N's Purrloin in Accumula Town.On route 2, defeated Bianca easily with combination of Leer,Wrap and Vine Whip.In Striation City,defeated Cheren after a few tries with Growth,Wrap,Tackle and Vine Whip.Defeated The Striation Gym's Chilli by using two Growth against Lillipup and 2HKOed Lillipup and Simisear while surviving a Work Up-Incinerate Combo with 2 HP left.

Current Team:
    Snaky

Others:

HM Only

Will do a Water mono

Samurott (Water)
    Simipour (Water) (most likely in a traded egg)
    Seismitoad (Water/Ground)
    Carracosta (Water/Rock)
    Swanna (Water/Flying)
    Jellicent (Water/Ghost)
    Last edited by Metalhead9838772; 6th April 2012 at 3:15 AM.

Pokemon games I own:
    PokemonBlue (2 copies)
    Pokemon Silver
    Pokemon Emerald
    Pokemon Fire Red
    Pokemon Leaf Green
    Pokemon Pearl
    Pokemon White
    Pokemon Black 2
    Pokemon Y

Snaky(Snivy) evolved during a battle with a Pre-schooler.Easily defeated Cheren on route 3 with 2 Growth and Tackle/Leaf Tornado against Tepig and Purrloin.Then easily defeated N in Nacrene City.With the same strategy as against Cheren,defeated Lenora easily on first try.In Pinwheel Forest,I caught a Sewaddle,Pansage and two Cottonee.Traded one Cottonee in Nacrene City for Petilil.Sewaddle evolved at Lv.20 against a Janitor in Battle Company.It then evolved at Lv.22 against Burgh though i lost that battle.Defeated Burgh on my second try.On Route 4 Defeated both Bianca and Cheren though i had some trouble against the latter's Pansear.Saved the Game.

Current Team:
    Snaky
    Cottony
    Leavy
    Lillil(In-game Trade name)
    Leafmon

Others:
    HM Only Patrat

Well, I've started my Black Ghost PGMR. I opted to go with terrytorterra's suggestion of Drifblim, the stats don't do much for me but I do like the design.

I've also opted not to plan out my team in detail in advance, or to breed for Natures and IVs, like I did in my Emerald run just gone. It made things a bit too easy. I did, however, breed some selected egg moves on. Gastly got Clear Smog, Misdreavus got Nasty Plot, Nincada Endure, and Drifblim Weather Ball.

My starter was Sadotter, for dex completion reasons. BW make you go an awfully long way before you can trade. Only once the Trio Badge was in my hand, and the Dream Mist in Fennel's, could I fire up my C-Gear and bring across the four eggs. Then there was lots of running around Striaton City trying to hatch them.

Nincada hatched first, well that's no good for me, since I only have it in order to get Shedinja. Gastly hatched next, and I discovered he'd inherited not only Clear Smog, but also Sludge Bomb and Explosion! I named him Hydrogen, and he pretty quickly showed his power, allowing Sadotter to be boxed. I levelled him on Route 2 and in the Dreamyard to level 10. Misdreavus hatched out in the Dreamyard, with Sucker Punch as well as the expected Nasty Plot. I named him Fluorine, and hit the road to the next town.

After dropping Nincada off in the Pokemon Day Care, I went to the people one next door, and was absolutely crushed by the lady outside. Leading Fluorine, who was at level 1, I switched to Hydrogen, who went down in one hit to a Lillipup's Bite. With my only other Pokemon being a level 4 Patrat, it was over. Back to the Dreamyard, to train my Pokemon!

Fluorine was distinctly lacking, but I kept at it, and soon my last Pokemon hatched. Drifloon, like my others, had got some unplanned moves to go with the intended Weather Ball. Specifically, Sunny Day and Rain Dance. I named him Helium, and with one turn of setup getting him a effective 150 Base Power fire or water move, he, like Hydrogen, was impressing. I kept levelling my Pokemon, and got to:

Hydrogen, Lv 14, Sludge Bomb / Clear Smog / Explosion / Mean Look
    Sludge Bomb OHKOs or 2HKOs basically everything so far, his other moves don't get used much.
    Fluorine, Lv 14, Astonish / Psywave / Nasty Plot / Confuse Ray
    Sucker Punch just wasn't useful, so I dropped it. Tbh, his moveset sucks. Need to get something that Nasty Plot actually boosts.
    Helium, Lv 15, Gust / Weather Ball / Rain Dance / Sunny Day
    Weather Ball is fun. I guess at some point I'll have to drop one of the weathers; of course since both are TMs it doesn't matter long-term.

I went west to Nacrene City, dealing with some of Team Plasma's hypocritical goons along the way, before exploring the city then making for the Nacrene Gym. The Trainers were dealt with, but Lenora was another story. Helium put a big dent in her Herdier with a pair of rain-boosted weather balls, and Fluorine finished the job, but Lenora's Watchog downed my team with its powerful Crunches. The commonness of Bite and Crunch in-game combined with the physical frailty of many of my Pokemon were making life difficult.

I went west, levelling up against the Trainers and Wild Pokemon around Challenge Rock, before going for the rematch. With all three members now at level 21, that little bit of extra power and bulk helped Helium take out Lenora's Herdier with the rain-boosted Weather Balls while avoiding being 2HKOed by Bite, and it put a good dent in her Watchog. Hydrogen finished the job with a Sludge Bomb, and my ghosts had won their first Gym Badge.

Then Team Plasma showed up to the museum, where such treasures as the Light Stone that holds the spirit of Reshiram, the Meteorite with the DNA of Deoxys, the Unown-scripted tablets that doubtless guide to lost ruins, and the fossil of an Armaldo are exhibited. And they steal a Dragonite skull. Amateurs.

Since the plot's on rails, Team Plasma won't get away even if I goof off, so I think I'll backtrack and give my new Dowsing Machine a testout, as well as checking up on Nincada.

Defeated all trainers on Route 4 and Desert Resort.Caught a Maractus in Desert Resort.Defeated N in nimbasa but with some difficulty due to Darumaka's fire type being super effective against my all Grass team.Got a sun stone in Nimbasa and evolved my Petillil.Elesa was pretty tough to beat but i defeated her on my fourth try.In the first three encounters,i reached her Zebstrika but with my last pokemon who was easily defeated.I taught my Pansage Rock Tomb to defeat her male Emolga but not before Pansage just survived with 3 HP.My Servine Leech seeded her female Emolga,then used a Tackle to damage her little before being defeated.Two Giga drains from Cottonee along with a Retaliate attack from Leavanny finally defeated her second Emolga.Just one Giga Drain from Lilligant was enough to defeat her Zebstrika and I finally won my badge.On Route 5 defeated Cheren easily and arrived in Driftveil City where i trained and found Team Plasma Zinzolin and grunts.

Current Team:

Snaky
    Cottony
    Leavy
    Lillil
    Leafmon
    Cacti

Others:
    HM Only Patrat

Easily defeated Clay's Gym with only Excadrill doing some damage and his Krokorok and Palpitoad were OHKOed.On Route 6,I caught a Deerling and Foongus and replaced my Cottonee and Maractus.After fighting trainers and wild Pokemon on the route,they came near my other Pokemon's levels.In Chargestone Cave,caught a Ferroseed and I battled wild Pokemon in tall grass outside the cave and some trainers inside.Defeated N with only two Pokemon defeated of mine.Arrived in Mistranslton City and saved the game.

Team:

Snaky
    Leavy
    Leafmon
    Deerly
    Fungy
    Thorny

Boxed:
    Cottony
    Lillil
    Cacti
    HM Only Patrat

Haven't updated this much. Errmm...Shedinja, who's named Neon, is a pain in the rear end, so much stuff carries dark attacks. Once I picked up the EXP Share I've ended up just giving Neon it and not actually using him in battles.

Don't recall any trouble in Castelia or on Route 4. Nimbasa was another story though. Lost to N on the first try, did some levelling and beat him on the rematch. Same story with Elesa. Then just before Driftveil Bridge, when there's a tag battle with Cheren against a couple of kids, I thought I'd troll Cheren by attacking his Pokemon Wasn't counting the kids' Work Ups, and earnt myself another loss through my sillyness.

In Driftveil now, got to check out the Cold Storage.

Defeated All trainers on Route 7 and in Celestial Tower.Deerling evolved into a Sawksbuck when i was grinding against Audinos.Skyla was very hard but finally beat her on my sixth try.

Team:

Snaky
    Leavy
    Leafmon
    Deerly
    Fungy
    Thorny

Boxed:
    Cottony
    Lillil
    Cacti
    HM Only Patrat

Not much progress today.Beat Cheren when i was going to Twist Mountain.His Unfezant took out Servine and Foongus with a little less than half damage but thanks to Leech Seed damage and my Pansage it was defeated.Pansage was defeated by his Pignite.Sawsbuck took out his Pignite surviving with low HP but it was defeated by Purrloin.Ferroseed took out both Purrloin and Simisage taking seemingly little damage from Assurance and Seed Bomb.I got Surf from Alder.I then went back to Driftveil Drawbridge to capture a Ducklett as another HM slave to use both Surf and Fly as i would require them on Route 1,17 and 18.

Team:

Snaky
    Leavy
    Leafmon
    Deerly
    Fungy
    Thorny

Boxed:

Cottony
    Lillil
    Cacti
    HM Only Patrat
    HM Only Ducklett

I completed the Cold Storage, then went over to Clay's Gym. I defeated him on the first attempt in a match that came right down the the wire, my last Pokemon Hydrogen being in the red zone when I secured the victory. I had noted down some more main points of the battle...but I think I shredded those notes by mistake!

I then made up Route 6 for Chargestone Cave. The cave was a long, hard slog requiring me to retreat to the entrance and heal at the nearby house several times as the wild Pokemon encounters, some such as Klink being troublesome for my team, wore them down. Ultimately I made it through, some team members having learnt important moves in the process, and defeating N with ease despite making a howler of an error in using Neon against N's Ferroseed, completely forgetting about Iron Barbs.

Now I've made Mistralton, I'm going to do some flying around, returning to previous cities to find anything I might have missed. I'll get my fossil revived for one.

Team so far:
    Hydrogen Lv 34 @ Scope Lens
    Sludge Bomb / Clear Smog / Shadow Ball / Confuse Ray.
    Finally learnt Shadow Ball! I could evolve him any time, but had decided he will be the last member to evolve, meaning once I catch my Golett and evolve that to Golurk. Also I should take a look at my items, surely I have something better than Scope Lens!

Fluorine Lv 33 @ Eviolite
    Hex / Psybeam / Nasty Plot / Pain Split
    Solid if unspectacular, I hope he learns some stronger attacks soon.

Neon Lv 38 @ Exp Share
    Shadow Sneak / Endure / Fury Swipes / Dig
    Why did I pick Shedinja...he spends most of his time being deadweight. At least now I've got Shadow Sneak, that ought to be a nice move. Really need some good TMs like X-Scissor, and it's a shame the 5th Gen mechanics changed to prevent Shedinja getting Swords Dance.

Helium Lv 33 @ Quick Claw
    Gust / Weather Ball / Rain Dance / Hex
    Much like Fluorine, she's solid but really yearns for stronger moves. She'll get one in the shape of Acrobatics after I beat Skyla though.
    Last edited by cantab; 29th April 2012 at 7:47 PM.

Released the Patrat that i had for using cut and instead caught a Drilbur as it can use both cut and strength.Defeated all trainers on Route 1,17 and 18.During a battle, Servine evolved into Serperior(so now I have three fully evolved Pokemon and a stone to evolve another). As i had got Surf,I went to Mistralton Cave and defeated two trainers there and also got many items.Then,I went to Wellspring cave and defeated three trainers and got all items except TM47 Low Sweep(I couldn't find it).On Route 3,Battled a breeder with the three elemental monkeys that can only be accessed by surf.Got some items on Route 1 also.Defeated all trainers in Twist mountain and arrived in Icirrus City.

Team:

Snaky
    Leavy
    Leafmon
    Deerly
    Fungy
    Thorny

Boxed:

Cottony
    Lillil
    Cacti
    HM Only Drilbur