Thread: Changing Majors in College

Default Changing Majors in College

Hi everyone, I was hoping to seek some advice from others who have been to a 4 year university. I will explain my situation:

I am a freshman about to enter my second semester. I'm a Veterinary Bioscience Major with a minor in Nutrition. All my life, I've thought that I wanted to be a veterinarian. Seeing the acceptance rates for graduate school and the academic requirements has really been stressing me out. After my first semester, my GPA is a 3.04, but I just feel so inadequate because the minimum requirement to even apply to grad school is a 3.4. I'm lucky that I didn't drop below a 3.0 because I would've lost my scholarships that allow me to afford college in the first place. For the last, i don't know, two months I've been really depressed and stressed (and a mess) and I simply don't know if I can keep this up. The only problem is, it's the only thing I've ever felt a passion for and I don't know what else I could possibly do. I've met some really nice people in my major and I'm really glad I was able to, but they all seem to effortlessly do better than me even though I work so hard.

The only thing I'm really good at is Math, but in order to Change my degree to Applied Financial Mathematics, I will have to wait until after next fall and that's if I decide to change my major.

I'm hoping to hear some of you guys' opinions as well as maybe some stories you have about switching your own degree. Thanks
    hello! I am an aspiring veterinarian and musician. That's all you really need to know about me >.> also that I've been a member for a long time I'm just extremely shy. NCSU Class of '21

I had a similar struggle in college (I'll actually be graduating in the spring with a Bachelor's in Zoology). For the first year or so, I struggled in my associated math classes and I was petrified of taking the harder chemistry classes like organic I and II and for a while I wondered if I should really be in Zoology. I felt that I wasn't smart enough for my major and I searched and searched for a major that was like Zoology, but different enough that I didn't have to take any of the difficult classes. I talked with my parents about switching to Wildlife Science or something to that nature and I'll never forget what my mom asked me. "Are you switching because that's what you want or are you trying to take the easy way out?" Hearing that from her shocked me and it really made me think. I'd wanted to do Zoology (or marine bio) ever since I was a little kid and the reason why I was afraid to stay in the major was because I was afraid to fail and I didn't want to be challenged. Upon realizing that, I knew that if I dropped out of Zoology because I wanted the easy way out, it would haunt me for the rest of my life, so I dug in and studied as hard as I could. And here I am now.

My advice to you is to answer the question of whether you really want to switch because you like Applied Financial Mathematics (which is great if that's what you love! I always say that I have infinite respect for people who can do high levels of math and be good at it/make a career out of it) or because you think it's too hard. The vet track is difficult, especially since you go to a school known for its veterinary and engineering programs. I have friends who are on the vet track at my school and they're stressed out a lot trying to get the perfect grade in order to be considered. Even not being on the vet track, college is still stressful and there will be people who understand material better than others. I went through a period in which the only thing I looked forward to was eating, sleeping, and going home on the weekends. It was a really dark time for me and it was during that time when I was looking to see if I should switch majors. So, if you want to stay on the vet track, I say go for it and give it your all. And if it doesn't work out, you can still do a science major. There's biochem, animal science, biology, zoology, biotech, etc. If you want to do math because you genuinely love it, go for it.

No matter what you do though, be sure it's because you love it and not because you're scared of taking a few tumbles. I say that as a person who is terrified of taking risks. The first and only class I ever failed was Quantitative Chemistry and I thought my world was going to end because grades meant a LOT to me. Once that was over though, I got up, dusted myself off, sought out a different professor and took it with him (a great professor can make a world of difference) and I passed. I just had to get up and try again.

That's my advice though. It's ok to not know what you want to do and if you want to take time to think about it, go right ahead. Just explore what kind of major makes you happy and what aspects of said major you like the most. I hope this was able to be of some help to you. Good luck in your studies!
    Last edited by Cometstarlight; 1st January 2018 at 3:40 AM.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL Lives Matter