Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #18

Quote Originally Posted by Nyter09 View Post
    Swalot is actually a coOl looking pokemon. If only it had better defensive stats.
    I agree, but if only it had better stats, period. HP is the only stat going for it. Great for a 101-Substitute, but it's so slow and fragile to its weaknesses, STABed or not, that you're likely not going to see one.

That said, getting Trick Room support and a safe switch-in is tricky, but doable. Liquid Ooze plus Curse and Block (4th Gen Tutor) is a great way to ruin a Physical Attacker+Seeder/Drainer that somehow isn't taking the full brunt of your STAB (like if you can't hit the broad side of a Snorlax due to inaccurate Moves or if they are a Seeder Ferrothorn).

Getting Swalot in at all is high-risk. So many Pokemon know Psychic or Ground Moves that any Poison Type has issues.

For a safe switch-in on EQ, you'll need to work with an Air Balloon in Singles or an Imprison+EQ Pokemon Partner in Doubles/Triples. Not many Pokemon can have both Imprison and EQ to help - Stantler, Bronzor, Bronzong, Landorus, Dusclops, and Dusknoir. Stantler and Bronzor/Bronzong would be best since they can learn Psychic Moves and use them fairly well (Stantler's Zen Headbutt and Bronzor/Bronzong's Psychic).

A "safe" Doubles/Triples Partner for Swalot:

Bronzong
    Quiet, 252 to both defenses, 6 to HP
    Red Card/Leftovers/Wise Glasses
    Heatproof
    Imprison, EQ, Psychic, Hidden Power (Dark)

Triples Partner for Swalot & Bronzong:

Cradily
    Impish, same EVs as Bronzong
    Leftovers/Muscle Band
    Suction Cups
    Block (4th Gen), Recover, Pain Split, Rock Slide
    Position - Center

Basically, Block High-HP opponents or ones that can't handle super-effective Moves too well, Imprison immediately and go for broke with Swalot. As for a Swalot for this Triple set, try this:

Swalot
    Careful/Calm, 252 to HP, 160 to Sp.Def, rest to Defense
    Black Sludge/Rocky Helmet
    Sticky Hold
    Careful - Gunk Shot, Ice Punch (4th Gen Tutor), Thunderpunch (4th Gen Tutor), Seed Bomb (4th Gen Tutor)
    Calm - Sludge Bomb, Ice Beam, Shock Wave (4th Gen TM), Giga Drain (4th Gen TM)

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    I agree, but if only it had better stats, period. HP is the only stat going for it.
    I also feel that if it had learned Toxic Spikes in Gen IV and gotten a much better DW ability, Swalot would be amazing. It's a real shame as well, since I like it's design.

Tanklot
    Swallot@Black Sludge
    Ability: Sticky Hold
    - Curse
    - Gunk Shot
    - Earthquake
    - Amnesia
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
    EV: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd

Kind of a variant on dual defenses. Curse makes your attack and defense higher, at the cost of your already bad speed, while Amnesia 2x boosts your special defense. Max HP to hang in there and hopefully get a sub up that can take a beating after the boosts. Gunk Shot has STAB, Earthquake is Earthquake
    Monotype Ground Playthrough on Platinum with no black-outs = Complete. Check please!
    My end team

I don't use "uber" Pokemon , I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar)

I forgot him. I played Emerald oh so long ago and had him. He worked kinda okay, but I see one large use for him: Serperior counter. He can get Serperior so easily.

Seeders go Bye-Bye
    Swalot@Black Sludge
    Ability: Liquid Ooze
    Calm/Careful
    252 HP/252 (Sp)Attack/4 SpD
    -Amnesia
    -Sludge Bomb/Gunk Shot
    -Toxic
    -Earthquake/Fire Punch/HP Fire

There. Use Toxic on a subseeder, or destroy the sub with Earthquake or a filler, just get toxic down so that something happens. Then Amnesia to prevent Leaf Storm from getting ahead of your defense (If battling Serperior). The last move is there so that after you kill the subseeder you aren't useless.

I am not the best set-maker, so tell me what you think.
    Who is next?

Typhlosion is epic and has beaten the heck out of OUs!

If you are like me, and think that Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, paste this in your sig. Started by Epicpip

Swalot's stats are outclassed by many Pokémon. His attacking stats are awful in this tier. The list of counters is almost endless. I think it doesn't deserve an analysis until UU is open, but well...

In the analysis it should be said that Swalot's movepool is great and that it can surprise many opponents with his coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeoneIGuess View Post
    Lefties vs Black Sludge: Lefties if you don't want someone else on your team to get black sludge.
    I have to quote this so more people will see. If a tricker takes your Black Sludge, they're not going to keep it.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxEpicsxX View Post
    Everything's possible, but that doesn't make it likely.
    ^What PAD needs to learn

Spoiler:- Misc in a nutshell:

You could try Acid Spray as a set-up for a partner, or to stop Baton Passers... but that's really the only new piece of advice I can give.
    I'm back. And ready for more battling.

[Img]http://i55.*******.com/k1cdxu.gif[/img]
    [Img]http://i56.*******.com/2lx856h.gif[/Img][Img]http://i51.*******.com/206yn8i.gif[/Img]

Thanks to Mew_ and Sarah- for the banner, and PikaPika 677 for the MD animations.

Muk>Swalot IMO.

Is Explosion still viable or did it get nerfed?
    Originally posted by: R4GEKILL!!! No need for STAB. STAB is stupid.
    LULZ

"Yes, I will see you through the smoke and flames on the frontlines of war and I will stand my ground until the end, until we conquer them all."

Black:5286 2326 2599
    I rather adore music. I less than three it. <3

"Let's believe that if we all stand together, we're a force that could shake the whole world. For once I'm doing something right when we say, 'Woah, woah.'"

I'll battle anything as long as I've got Pokemon to put the team together.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudVII View Post
    Is Explosion still viable or did it get nerfed?
    Yes and no. It still has 250 base power, which means it jumps to 375 for normal types with STAB, and it's viable there, but it no longer halves defense, which means the pokemon that loved it in previous gens have to consider it carefully.

More or less, it's become a 'I'm going to die so I might as well get damage on them' Kind of thing.
    Monotype Ground Playthrough on Platinum with no black-outs = Complete. Check please!
    My end team

I don't use "uber" Pokemon , I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar)

Swalot @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Liquid Ooze
    Nature: Sassy (+S.Def, -Spd)
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 S.Atk
    - Toxic
    - Venoshock
    - HP Ice
    - Shadow Ball

All offensive stuff. Hit, hit, hit.
    Swalot can take at least two hits, so make good use of the Toxic+Venoshock combo.
    HP Ice and Shadow Ball to counter weaknesses.

Back in the Serebii.net Forums!

It stopped halving defense in 4th Gen wasn't it?

Oh boy, I'm really late to this one. Swalot... Interesting. I'd say UU sets, where he is farely usable.

I really wish it got a better DW ability though. Maybe Poison Touch.

Mixed Tanker. Yes. I chose Tanking.
    Item: Life Orb/Black Sludge
    EVs: 128 SDef, 128 Def, 124 SAtk, 124 Atk, 4 HP
    -Earthquake
    -Giga Drain/Sunny Day
    -Ice Punch/Ice Beam/Fire Punch
    -Shadow Ball/SolarBeam

A farely simple Tanker Set. Two variations, I'll explain later. Earthquake is that move that rocks. Giga Drain to heal from Life Orb, and get healing anyway. Ice Punch or Ice Beam to smack Altaria in the face, use which one dependent on your choice. Shadow Ball is a Ghost-type move that can be usefull. However, you could put Black Sludge and run a SunnyBeamer. Fire Punch gets a useful bonus from it as well, and Earthquake hits super-effective to Fire-types that want to get in your way. Although, Altaria DOES Dominate the SunnyBeamer variant, so be careful.

^The above is probably my best set yet. PLEASE, tell me anything wrong with it.

So thats it from me for now.
    Last edited by WeatherEffectRain; 2nd May 2011 at 10:44 PM.

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

The "Poison Bag" Pokemon? C'mon, Pokedex...

Swalot@Black Sludge
    EVs: Max HP and Sp. Atk.
    Acid Spray
    Ice Beam
    Shadow Ball
    Hidden Power (Fire)

Something Swalot has that few others do is Acid Spray, a move that cuts the opponents Sp. Def. in half, so it may as well use it. Ice Beam and Shadow Ball for coverage, Sludge Bomb for STAB.

my swalot focuses on doing the most damage possible before it can be taken out by ground or psychic moves

Moveset:
    Explosion
    Toxic
    Gunk Shot
    Gastro acid

toxic to poison, and gunk shot for STAB. gastro acid to get rid of pesky dream world abilitys. explosion to finish things off.

Item: Black slugde
    3DS FC: 4081-5902-7378 Add Me!
        Spoiler:- My Champion Teams:

Credit to Forever and Again art shop

Credit to VampirateMace for the Banner

*sigh* might as well post something
    Swalot @ Black Sludge
    Careful (Sp Def> Sp. Atk)

252 HP/252 Sp.Def/ 4 Atk

Curse
    Gunk Shot
    Earthquake
    Ice Punch

Heres an intersting set. Max Hp and Max Sp.Def gives Swalot plenty of time to set up
    and endure some hits as well. Gunk Shot, STAB, eartquake, covers Steel Immunitys.
    Ice Punch for ground types. There.

Darkrai the Swalot @ Black Sludge
    Modest (Sp. Atk > Atk)

252 HP/ 252 Sp. Atk/ 4 Sp. Def

Yawn
    Block
    Dream Eater
    Nightmare

Well, serebii told us to go nuts, im going nuts. Block prevents switching and yawn is obvious. Then the fun Begins Nightmare first, so they lose HP everyturn. The slowly Dream Eater to death. Mwhwhhwhahaha Creative set, If I say so myself.

Specs @ Choice Specs

Modest (same as above, to lazy to put it here again)

same Ev's as the Darkrai Set

Slude Bomb/ Slude Wave
    Ice Beam
    Hp Fire
    Shadow Ball/ SolarBeam (IF useing sunny day team)

Another set that covers swalots weaknesses. Slude Bomb or Wave, Bomb for better chance of poisoning, Wave for Power, is STAB

Ice Beam for Ground types, Hp Fire for Steels types, Shadow Ball for Psychics
    (Works great in the sun, Hp Fire is stronger and solarbeam is now an option )

Banded @ choice band (last set)

Adament (Opposite of Modest)

252 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 4 Sp Def

Gunk Shot
    Ice Punch
    E-Quake
    Explosion

Same as the Curse set, BUT WITH EXPLOSIONS

I chase the dream, not the competition.

I guess you could run a stockpile set with sludge bomb in the fourth slot, maybe energy ball or somehing for coverage instead of swallow. Uh, black sludge for item.
    Ive never actually used swalot. Never liked the design. But my friend does, and he uses it partnered with quagsire. Its a decent wall… but they dont do much. To counter swalot, I use swampert, because I like swampert. Anything with earthquake works though. Or if you still have mons with iron tail, go nuts. Metagross is good. Empoleon with flash cannon gets the job done.
    No idea for EVs, but either dump them all into defense and special defense, or pick if you want to be a physical or special wall. Then invest the rest into special attack and hp.
    All in all... Not such a great pokemon.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

Why does everybody forget giga drain!!!

Cos it sucks.
    Giga Drain for Tanking sets, Energy Ball for Attacking sets.

Here's my Reno Swalot.

Swalot @ Float Stone
    Nature: Sassy (+SpD, -Spe)
    EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SpD
    - Swallow
    - Rollout
    - Body Slam
    - Swagger

Float Stone reduces his Grass Knot weak, Swallow because it's just what Reno does, Body Slam and Rollout to take advantage of Reno's voluptuous body, and Swagger because Reno's always gettin' his swagger on.

As a nasty absurd looking Poison-type Pokemon, Swalot is outclassed by Muk and Garbodor. However the Stomach Pokemon still has some niche. Or he wish....

Drain Pwn
    Swalot @ Leftovers
    Trait: Liquid Ooze
    EVs & Nature: Some HP, Def & SpD. Some SpA. +Def -Spe. 0 Spe IV.

- Stockpile.
    - Pain Split.
    - Acid Spray / Hidden Power lol Psychic.
    - Ice Beam.

This set made to wall HP suckers :P (Toxicroak, Conkeldurr, Mienshao, Ferrothorn, Whimsicott, etc). Switch to Swalot while they're using Drain Punch / Leech Seed / Giga Drain. U know the rest...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonite's View Post
    Why does everybody forget giga drain!!!
    I believe my Tanking set had it. Everyone seemed to miss it though...

I wouldn't use Giga Drain. It gets no STAB and is coming off your Swalot's base 73 Special Attack. Pain Split gets you ALOT further. Unless you're Up against a Water/Ground or your opponent's HP is lesser than yours.
    Ignore, thanks.

Well, Giga Drain is more reliable. By the way, if they Belly Drum or something like that, you end up healing them. Giga Drain... Yeh. More reliable.

I still wanna see something about my set. Its gone under the radar or something.

Swalot would be a pretty good tank if it wasn't plagued by that Earthquake weakness.

Countering Swalot

Pretty much any Psychic can come in and kill it Just watch out for along with most Ghost Pokemon just watch out for Shadow Ball, Steel types ruin it, and most ground types can come in a KO it as well. If you can stay away from them then Swalot can play to it's skills well.

You annoying blob

Acid Spray
    Shadow Ball
    Explosion/Pain Split
    Encore/Ice Beam

Another option to do some damage with Swalot is to use Acid Spray instead of Sludge Bomb, after setting up some entry hazards. Acid Spray lowers the opponents Special Defense by 2 levels, so a Choice Spec, Acid Spray is going to do some serious damage over time. One Acid Spray will generally force the opponent to switch not wanting to take a hit with their SD cut in half, and when they do switch they're new Pokemon will take an Acid Spray as well, eventually they're going to have to just deal with it and duke it out, and if you feel you can win stay in if not, switch forcing them to switch and take more residual damage. Kind of gimmicky, but it can work just make sure you have the team to help. You can add Shadow Ball for back up against ghost and Psychics. Explosion and Pain Split are for extra damage. Explosion kills, Pain Split helps you survive to abuse this strategy even more, I would go with Pain Split. The final move just depends on you, Ice Beam gives you another attack and more coverage, Encore traps that opponent causing another switch and more residual damage.

Last Pokemon of the Week

Why wasn't there a Pre-Evolution Corner for Kadabra and Abra last week.

Kadabra has 120 Special Attack and 105 Speed, combined with Choice Specs./ Life Orb/ Evolite it becomes a threat even in OU, but it's only going to be in UU/NU and down there it's practically Mewtwo.

The same deal with Abra 105 Special Attack and 90 Speed is a huge threat to NU.
    Last edited by Abizzel1; 3rd May 2011 at 5:45 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast