Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Default What are you currently reading?

I didn’t see a post anywhere on the first page for this or when I searched, so I figured I would start a thread of my own!

What book are you currently reading? Or what was the most recent book that you have read? I myself have just started reading a book called Drylor The First Artifact. It is an Action/Fantasy book created by Ryan Tomasella. So far it is actually damn good, it is a story about a man that suffers amnesia and struggles to regain his memory. As his memory starts to come back to him he realizes that his brother is an evil S.o.b and he makes it his mission to stop him.

It seems like a fairly generic story line but the author makes it his own. There are tons of twists and turns in the story (mainly when the main character thinks he remembers something from his past he realizes that it was only an illusion that his brother wanted him to think was true.) I must say I am really impressed with this book, then again I read almost anything that involved sword and sorcery. Below is the cover of the book and what the back of the book reads.

(Picture of book is attached!)

When a man wakes up inside a cage that is being carried through
    an underground city, he has no idea where he is or what has
    happened to him. As Von, a victim of amnesia, is taken to a jail
    cell to await his fate amongst elves, humans, dwarfs, gnomes, and
    halflings, he is told he is a member of the Royal Guard of Genisus.
    It is not long before he is transported to the palace where he
    meets an impatient king who eventually returns him to his jail
    cell while deciding his destiny.

As Von’s memory slowly returns, he discovers that he is the only
    one who can protect Drylor—a world that abandoned him—
    from its greatest evil, his own brother. Through his journey to the
    truth, Von meets an unlikely group of friends who are willing
    to sacrifice everything to help him stop his brother Scarlet
    from annihilating the only world they have ever known.

As Von’s past becomes clear and reveals his future, he soon
    realizes the only way he can end his brother’s heartless
    massacres is to find him and kill him.

The book is for sale through all major online retailers, so you can buy a copy from Amazon, Barnes and Nobles or any other book retailers. If you're too lazy to look it up then here is a link to the barnes and nobles website where you can place an order:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Dry...+artifact#TABS
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm currently reading Ape and Essence by Aldous Huxley for fun. And reading On the Beach (forget the author's name) and The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde for school.
    Last edited by rykerr1; 3rd May 2011 at 8:35 PM.
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/2r40gt0.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i48.*******.com/j0wppv.jpg[/IMG]
    ~Shiny Card~
    If You're Interested in Shiny Hunting, Check Out Shiny Hunters United!

Quote Originally Posted by rykerr1 View Post
    The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde for school.
    God I feel so lame because I recently read this. For fun.

Just finished The Stand by Stephen King for the fifth time. One of my favorite books. Currently I'm reading Les Miserables and Lord of the Flies. Lord of the Flies is for English class. I'm trying to read more after going through a period where I read maybe one book every few months.

Star Wars Dark Force Rising by Timothy Zahn.

[IMG]http://i42.*******.com/14scis8.png[/IMG]

Globalization and Its Discontents by Joseph Stiglitz. It's hard to muster up a desire to read for pleasure when most of my reading material comes from the goddamn Penal Code, but I am very much enjoying this book.

I am currently reading this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lbsweet96 View Post
    God I feel so lame because I recently read this. For fun.

Just finished The Stand by Stephen King for the fifth time. One of my favorite books. Currently I'm reading Les Miserables and Lord of the Flies. Lord of the Flies is for English class. I'm trying to read more after going through a period where I read maybe one book every few months.
    Don't feel like a loser, I read a lot of older classic-type books for fun. But I'm just not a fan of Oscar Wilde, so I would never read Dorian Gray for fun. But I read 1984 and Catch-22 for fun, so my friends think I'm weird haha. But I think I will have an advantage over them when we read Animal Farm for school... hopefully.

A lot of my friends read Les Mis for fun, in French. They make me feel like I'm missing out because I speak Spanish =/

EDIT: Woah I used "fun" way too much in that message *facepalm*
    Last edited by rykerr1; 3rd May 2011 at 8:53 PM.
    ~Shiny Card~

Quote Originally Posted by rykerr1
    They make me feel like I'm missing out because I speak Spanish =/
    Use this marvelous ability to read Don Quixote in its original language!

Quote Originally Posted by Hito-shura View Post
    Use this marvelous ability to read Don Quixote in its original language!
    I've actually considered that. I'm too busy right now for such an undertaking but I think it would be a fun summer "project". I say project because I don't speak spanish fluently, but since my friends are not fluent in French and still read Les Mis I have hope haha.
    ~Shiny Card~

I read all the books I own (a lot), so I've been re-reading my favs, like the Inheritance Cycle, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and the Hunger Games trilogy.

I'm reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for the millionth time XD

Pokemon fan girl since 1999 =D
    Raichu is #1 Forever!!!

Currently reading Life of Pi for one of my classes. It's a little slow in parts but I'm really enjoying it so far.

A book about battles in the Pacific during World War II

I'm currently reading High Rhulain, written by Brian Jaques. It's one of my very favourite books.
    This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Earth Wolf-Howl (formerly Warrior Scolipede)

FC: 2707-2741-9594
    Friend Safari: Sunkern, Sawsbuck, Maractus

I have claimed Pyroar!

I'm reading Pet Semetary.
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

Mein Kampf -Adolf Hitler (School/fun)

I'm jumping back and forth between a few books, namely To the Fortress of Ardan by Robert J. Cyr (AKA my 11th grade AP US History teacher), a Java programming textbook, my physics book (do those count?), and Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies.

I'm not reading anything right now, but I'm looking forward to reading "Mockingjay" once school ends; I've been too busy to see how the series ends.
    Quote of the moment:
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverwindstudios View Post
    Theoretically, In order for garchomps and pidgeots to fly at the speed of sound, (Let's include sonic the hedgehog into this to...) they need to consume over 5 1/2 MILLION calories a day!
    Bow to the Dual-Weilding Key of Destiny
    Roxas:Claimed

Rereading Eragon, Eldest, and Brisingr. I read them from grades 5-7 and decided that I needed a more thorough read-through. Currently waiting for my local library's copy(ies) of Eldest to be returned.

Can't wait for Inheritance.

I'm currently reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.

Quote Originally Posted by rykerr1 View Post
    I've actually considered that. I'm too busy right now for such an undertaking but I think it would be a fun summer "project". I say project because I don't speak spanish fluently, but since my friends are not fluent in French and still read Les Mis I have hope haha.
    Don Quixote is not as hard to digest as one might think, but it can be an undertaking if you're not fluent in Spanish. If you'd like something shorter I recommend any of Borges' short fiction, it's some of the best stuff you'll read in Spanish.

I'm reading Stephen King's Four Past Midnight - currently on The Langoliers. It's great, but not his best.

Also re-reading HP & The Goblet of Fire. I luuuuurve that opening chapter about the Riddle Mansion.

On my list to read: Twilight Robbery by Frances Hardinge, The Scapegoat by Daphne du Maurier, and Perfume: Story of a Murderer by Patrick Surskind. Also must really finish Crime and Punishment. That's effing brilliant btw, if anyone hasn't tried it. The Russian names are a lot to remember, though...
    - Hiatus Notice -

I'm sorry to do this, but I won't be posting in the Serebii Discussion Forums anymore. My account here will remain open for trading/chatting with friends, but please be patient for a reply as my visits here will be fewer.

I've left for the greener pastures of Bulbagarden Forums, where free speech is still allowed and the rules are followed by all, including those who enforce them.

It's been a fun 3 years ~

Quote Originally Posted by Nibbles2007 View Post
    I'm reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for the millionth time XD
    It still irks me when people call the book by that name. I will never understand why the US decided that the "Philosopher's Stone" wasn't suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by GaZsTiC View Post
    It still irks me when people call the book by that name. I will never understand why the US decided that the "Philosopher's Stone" wasn't suitable.
    Nobody in the US knows what the hell a philosopher is.

In case you haven't noticed, our general modern society isn't really known for intelligence.

"Stupid Americans" etc.

Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast