Page 54 of 67 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1660

Thread: What are you currently reading?

I'm reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy in Five Parts, which is hilarious and insane.

The Cairo Trilogy by Naguib Mahfouz. It's about 1300 pages in total.

...followed by All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren after I'm done with aforementioned book. That's close to 700 pages.

Wish me luck.

Pokémon Quiz Bowl. It's a thing.

Every time you have a bad day, just go to Advanced Search, enter "Him in the Court" in the User Name box, and voila.
    I claim Vanillite because it is best Pokémon.

PEOPLE OF EARTH -- WE ARE YOUR ZILTOIDIAN OVERLORDS.
    RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

I haven't read a book for pleasure since I was forced to read the Grapes of Wrath in tenth grade. I'm thinking of getting back into reading; anyone have any recommendations for science fiction?

Want someone to review your fanfiction? Wish granted. I accept fanfiction review requests so just PM me!

I'm reading "The Boy Who Harrnessed the Wind" for school. It's alright so far, kinda comical.

Rereading Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan.

So many PJO feels.

3DS FC: 3067 - 5438 - 9132

Re-Reading the leviathan trilogy, still on book atm, but its still as epic as i remember it.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Borrowed The Kill Order from the library, enjoying it so far
    Last edited by hawkeye721; 7th August 2013 at 2:21 AM.
    3DS FC:4253-3982-7075 ~ MAL

I'm onto the second book in the Gemma Doyle Trilogy: Rebel Angels by Libba Bray.

Recently I've been reading Romeo and Juliet for school. I can't explain it but it both interests me and bores me to hell.

hmmm.....The last book I read was The Particle at the End of The Universe. It is an intelligent depiction of the past few decades of research and the penultimate discovery of a particle that resembles the Higgs Boson. And yes, I read it for fun.
    Before that, I read The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and The Deep Laws of The Cosmos. I LOVED this book. It is about the Multiverse theories and their implications all the way from detail dimensions to alien life. It is an amazing read. And obviously this one was also read for fun.
    Sig Under Construction
    I have claimed Malamar and Mario Kart 8

Friend Code: 2680-9330-2666
    National Pokedex complete-Gen V / National Pokedex Complete-Gen VI
    Ground Type Pokémon Club Co-Leader
    Shiny Count: 160+
    Shiny Clauncher Magnet

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Vibrava View Post
    I haven't read a book for pleasure since I was forced to read the Grapes of Wrath in tenth grade. I'm thinking of getting back into reading; anyone have any recommendations for science fiction?
    In your local library's catalogue, search the author H.G. Wells. If he sounds too dusty for you, search the author Eoin Colfer (although from him you might get more science fantasy than science fiction). Let us know what you settle upon!

Quote Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
    hmmm.....The last book I read was The Particle at the End of The Universe. It is an intelligent depiction of the past few decades of research and the penultimate discovery of a particle that resembles the Higgs Boson. And yes, I read it for fun.
    Before that, I read The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and The Deep Laws of The Cosmos. I LOVED this book. It is about the Multiverse theories and their implications all the way from detail dimensions to alien life. It is an amazing read. And obviously this one was also read for fun.
    Fun? Hard to believe. More like curiosity or intrigue. By the way, what does that second one say about the justification for multiverse theories? I struggle to keep a lot of physics details in memory, so the most I've got left from my last foray in the field was that the hypothesis is a possible (likely?) prediction from the math cosmologists like to do, but I'm not sure I understood how all too well. And of course there's the contention that multiverse theory isn't amenable to empirical verification or testing like traditional science tends to be, but of course there are other kinds of research that can be done without physical experiments...

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

I've recently been reading the Halo novel The Flood which is based on the events of Halo combat evolved

Current Platinum team: Lv50 Lv50 Lv50 Lv50 Lv50
    Current Black team: Lv16 Lv16

Finally picked up The Infernal Devices: Clockwork Princess. Also somehow reading A Game of Thrones and Nevermore at the same time.

Spoiler:- "Alpha Sapphire Progress:

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    In your local library's catalogue, search the author H.G. Wells. If he sounds too dusty for you, search the author Eoin Colfer (although from him you might get more science fantasy than science fiction). Let us know what you settle upon!

Fun? Hard to believe. More like curiosity or intrigue. By the way, what does that second one say about the justification for multiverse theories? I struggle to keep a lot of physics details in memory, so the most I've got left from my last foray in the field was that the hypothesis is a possible (likely?) prediction from the math cosmologists like to do, but I'm not sure I understood how all too well. And of course there's the contention that multiverse theory isn't amenable to empirical verification or testing like traditional science tends to be, but of course there are other kinds of research that can be done without physical experiments...
    I cannot thoroughly explain the hypotheses described in the book in a single forum post, but I can say that mathematicians and physicists have been collaborating for over several decades to discover the intricacies of the Multiverse Theories. This book ranges from possibilities of near-exact copies of Earth existing not only in our own universe (Quilted Theory) to floating just nearby, albeit invisible and intangible (Inflationary Theory). It utilizes "detail dimensions" and Calabi-Yau shapes, along with inversions and multi-branes and their perception not only to the observer, but their implications throughout all of science. This book was so overreaching, that to quote some critic that wrote a review about it, "If aliens were to land on Earth and asked when the human mind was able to accomplish, we could do worse then to hand them a copy of this book." (I do not remember this quote exactly, but the meaning is there).
    Sig Under Construction
    I have claimed Malamar and Mario Kart 8

Friend Code: 2680-9330-2666
    National Pokedex complete-Gen V / National Pokedex Complete-Gen VI
    Ground Type Pokémon Club Co-Leader
    Shiny Count: 160+
    Shiny Clauncher Magnet

Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Storyby Arnold Schwarzenegger. It is surprisingly an extremely good read.

718/718 Pokemon caught as of 4/13/14
    Pokemon X FC: 2638-0594-6140
    Serebii.net Claims:
    -The Drill Pokemon, Nidoking

Just finished Black Beauty by Anna Sewell today. Onto The Fire Chronicle: The Books of Beginning by John Stephens, and attempting to get into The Glimpse by Claire Merle (for the third time)

I can't find my toothbrush, and it's REALLY STRESSIN' ME OUT!

i'm currently reading Inheritance by Christopher Paolini, i bought it when it came out being a fan of the rest of the series but i just didn't read it for some reason.

a copy of On the Beach by Nevil Shute that i ordered just arrived, so that's next on the plate
    life is
    a game

I am reading many books right now, including:

Pokémon Adventures: Book Five (I am in love with the series so far!)

Warriors: Fire and Ice (book 2) - Man, this series is just EPIC... (imo)

Dragons in our Midst: Raising Dragons - Just started reading this book yesterday, and it is AMAZING!!! Wonderfully written Christian fantasy... it is awesome!
    Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there... ~ The Real World by Owl City

Feed by M.T Anderson

Interesting futuristic book that I have to read by summer's end. Book reports make me enjoy these books less.

3DS FC: 3067 - 5438 - 9132

I just finished Ring of Bright Water by Gavin Maxwell, it's an absolutely amazing book, especially if you love animals. I'm now alternating between Lord of the Flies and The Railway Children, both of which I'm enjoying a lot. I like reading two genres of book at the same time due to being able to contrast them, so if one of the genres doesn't suit your current mood or whatever you can read the other one, about nine times out of ten your mood will suit one if not both of the books. In my opinion it allows me to enjoy both books a lot more. Alternatively if I'm reading a book for school I read another one of my own choice in case I don't enjoy the former.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBluePorygon View Post
    Feed by M.T Anderson

Interesting futuristic book that I have to read by summer's end. Book reports make me enjoy these books less.
    I agree so much with the bold text.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropius19 View Post
    This thread proves sppf is full of geniuses :x
    My Instagram, please follow!

Hoenn Starters :3

I'm gone from SPPF to pursue academics, and I most likely won't be back. Bye!

I just finished Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth. A fascinating read about the historical Jesus, and the state of Palestine in the 1st Century.

Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I just finished Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth. A fascinating read about the historical Jesus, and the state of Palestine in the 1st Century.
    I'd read the book with a bit of mindfulness about the historicity of his Jesus. Apparently, there are ample criticisms by bona fide religious and historical scholars of Aslan's claims to historical authority/credentials.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco
    I'd heard about that. In his 'About the Author' bit, he doesn't go into the 'scholar of religions' spiel; instead, he simply lists himself as what the article says. Perhaps he just felt the need to increase his credentials after being challenged during that Fox News interview, or perhaps was just flustered by the asinine questions.

Regardless, and even if he does breeze over areas of contention, I imagine it's an eye-opener for believers. Certainly the political turbulence of the time is interesting enough to elicit a read. It, apparently, was not nearly as calm as we have been taught.

Retreading The Lost Hero, while crossing my fingers and thinking;

Spoiler:- BIG SPOILER!!!:

Spoiler:- Sad and Spolier-ish:

I am reading Watership Down and the Warriors series ( New prophecy, Dawn) now. Awesome series, but the dutch versions had so much spelling mistakes ( can't. bear. them) that i had to switch to english. Now i'm really confused with the names lol

Kids books
    Last edited by TanBun; 22nd August 2013 at 10:19 PM.

Page 54 of 67 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast