Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EV training?

Like other people said, I only use EV training for competitive purposes. Implementing it as part of your run-through of the game takes the fun out of it, in my opinion. Besides, I had absolutely no trouble getting through the game without EV training.

^ Click this for good times ^

EV training in game could only be done easily after getting surf and fly usable. This cuts the time it takes to get to the needed pokemon down and gives access to Frillish(1 EP for special defense) and guranteed Stunfisk(2 Hp EPs). Other then those 2 I use woobat(1 speed EP) and rogenrola(1 defense EP(sturdy is annoying)) at the cave near the first gym, route 4(the desert(all pokemon -hippopatas provide 1 attack EP)) and Celestial tower for Litwick(1 special attack EP) to EV train my pokemon. My most recent one is a Level 100 Lugia 252 hp 252 def and 4 S.atk with calm mind, thunderbolt, ice beam, and recover for it's move set.
        Spoiler:- Pokemon that I can breed and trade.:

Want
    DW females not listed
    0 speed IVs

Pm or VM me for a Trade.

Character BRANDON FC 3869 2640 3022

No need to EV train to take on Gym Leaders, In most games they're relatively easy and with a small amount of strategy you will take them down with no problems.

^ Click the userbar for Pokemon Giveaways!

Pokemon Plus | Movie 2011 Giveaway | Legend Pack Giveaway

no i don't...

i only ev train when i got all the power item from the battle subway.
    to make things easier and faster.

I just ev trained my Reshiram to defeat the champion but i also used an ev trained haxorus to defeat the last few gyms.
    the rest of my team was pretty normal.
    Most recent shiny:
    3DS FC: 4227-2881-7628

I do EV train but not for the Gym battles. Usually after ive beaten the game i will eventaully EV train

On my first three play throughs, no, I didn't. I was against EV training back then.

But now, I've done it before. It's hard for me not to; it's part of our training regimen, and it actually helps with like, level grinding.

Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14

Guess who claimed Luxray?!

I couldn't care less for EV training cause it seems to be too much of a hassle. All my level 100 Pokemon have never been EV trained and a lot of them didn't have Pokerus when I started to level them (only got pokerus in Pearl about 3 years ago when just randomly battling Pokemon).
    Thankfully, I am not really into competitive battling anyway, but I think my Pokemon would definitely be a problem if I did actually get into that, lol.
    Black 2 FC: 2967 8006 5606

Signature under construction

Default I don't quite get EV Training...

I've fully EV trained my Riolu, Skyle, in Sp. Atk, but his Sp. Atk stat is only 44. with 252 Sp. Atk EVs, he should have a boost of 63, so how is this possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Subwooper View Post
    I've fully EV trained my Riolu, Skyle, in Sp. Atk, but his Sp. Atk stat is only 44. with 252 Sp. Atk EVs, he should have a boost of 63, so how is this possible?
    You won't see the complete benefits of EV training until Level 100 in Black and White, however the EVs are still present.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedSuicune View Post
    You won't see the complete benefits of EV training until Level 100 in Black and White, however the EVs are still present.
    so if you train a pokemon to level 100,fully EV trained, when you do the battle subway and everything basically gets chopped in half stat wise does the EV stat get chopped to level 50s worth aswel?
    FC - 3783 1652 7369 PKMN BLACK

*WANTS* shiny shiny shiny vgc zorua event worlds'12 flying

Ever since Platinum I've felt the need to EV train, even if it's just for the in-game battles.

*facepalm* This topic has been necrobumped...

But anyway, I did EV-train throughout the story line. Though every time I accidentally defeat a Pokémon, whose EVs given aren't the ones I wanted, I would either have to just suck it up or restart the battles (I would usually save between every battle), especially since I didn't have any EV-reducing berries/items on me at the time. :/

Quote Originally Posted by richm88 View Post
    so if you train a pokemon to level 100,fully EV trained, when you do the battle subway and everything basically gets chopped in half stat wise does the EV stat get chopped to level 50s worth aswel?
    I'm not sure what you mean here, but the EVs you gained for that Pokémon aren't affected.
    Trinity League: Psychic Gym Leader & Resort Manager (Wi-fi UU) | The Eternian Forces: Harena Region's Merchant
    3DS FC: 1977-0801-2134 | NNID: SilverLanayru | Rawr~ <3

"This is the sorceress of light, who takes to the battlefield her Book of Sorcery."

Pokégyms Badge Progress | Credits

I actually started EV training for the first time the other day because unlike all the other Pokemon games, After the main story was over it felt like there was nothing in game to do for MONTHS. So I took up Ev training. Right Now I'm MMing for a Shiny Shellder to add to my team. It will be the second Pokemon I've ever EV trained by myself. I'm so excited!

I Ev train everything good I catch/hatch so (pokerus is amazing by the way)
    Dragons are my friend, Ice is my foe...
    (Kyurem is an exception) dragonics rule

-Let us hope for gen 6 to turn out well!

I don't understand EVs and IVs...

^They're easy enough to get the hang of unless you have trouble with numbers, look them up.

I started EV training before I thought about IVs. I resurrected my original Silver team and EV trained them and some of them didn't even have the most optimal natures.

I now EV train every shiny I want to use to the best it's nature can offer and if I'm chaining something I catch more than one and use a synchroniser so I can get a good mix of natures and IV spreads. Now when breeding I keep tab of IVs too. They don't have to be perfect if I just want a certain pokemon for my playthrough team but I like the natures to be good. When catching my Litwick for my team I caught many and only kept the Modest one.

I started breeding Scyther for a competitive team but it's quite annoying trying to get the perfect IVs, natures and egg moves on it.

The first time I EV trained during my first playthrough of a game was in White. I did it with my Axew after spending ages hatching eggs for a shiny, after it shone I EV trained it and did the same with my Rufflet. I also EV trained my Litwick after all that time looking for a Modest one and I'm pretty certain I did it with Tirtouga too. So the majority of my team are EV trained, something which I've never done before unless it was a pure shiny or hatched team.

My shiny team. Do not ask for a battle, they're just for personal taste.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/2131a2w.png[/IMG]
    Come and join if you have a love of breeding pokemon, want to share your knowledge or want to start!
    Credit shinydoug for the BC banner.

Flareon can learn Flare Blitz.
    http://oi54.*******.com/otdgr8.jpg

I have a box and a half full of Adamant Mold Breaker Axew. Some are Jolly. PM/VM if interested in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zibdas
    I thought butter was a type until I was 6. I could've sworn there's a butter type...

I just asked this in another thread too. I think overall stats are something like EV x Level (well that would be the core of perhaps a more complex formula at the very least), so your EVs stay the same, the level is halved, and the overall effect of each attribute is then halved.... can anyone confirm this?

I always loved EV training my Pokemon all the time in my games, even if I'm not a competitive battler. I like it because it helps me dominate against other trainers. :P
    -Nate the

I never EV Train for in-game purposes. I do EV Train for Competitive Purposes, though.

I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself.

Only for wi fi battles!For gyms i think there is no reason
    DON'T WORRY LADIES!BROCK IS HERE!

FOR TRADE:
    Lv70 Relaxed nature || ALAMOS Event
    x3 Lv50 Hardy,mild,bold nature || WIN2011 Modest flawless nature
    x2 Lv50 docile,naughty nature || GAMESTP
    x2 sassy,nasty nature || Oblivia
    adamant flawless nature || TRU
    Jolly flawless nature (MAY2010) || TRU
    Shiny Event || TRU
    Shiny Event || TRU
    Shiny Event ||

Looking For any shiny(Prefer Pokeradar's)

[IMG]http://i39.*******.com/2w658r6.png[/IMG]

Please don't bump threads older than a month since the last post, please. Closed.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Pokemon Analysis: The Seel/Dewgong Line! Whatever animals are these based on...?
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123