Thread: Quick Claw Glitch?

Default Quick Claw Glitch?

Just been training a Lv. 24 Darumaka in Pinwheel Forest and noticed some strange behaviour with the Quick Claw I gave it. Every so often I'll get the message "Darumaka's Quick Claw let it move first!" - immediately followed by the foe's attack rather than Darumaka's!!

Has anyone else noticed this?

Seems to happen most often when battling a Venipede when it uses Protect - the Protect would go first despite my Darumaka's Quick Claw supposedly kicking in.

UK game cart, haven't ever used any cheat codes or anything...

That's probably because the protect is supposed to always go before anything else. The intention of quick claw is just to let your pokemon move first at times when it's battling a faster opponent. But protect comes first. That, in my oppinion, is stupid.
    I found shiny Litwick at the 5290th RE.
    Current Black Team:

I thought it could be something like that. The mechanics for what goes first and what doesn't, and what effects cancel each other out must be so complex now.

But yes, if Protect is a special case that "trumps" Quick Claw, still getting the message about Quick Claw is a bit stupid, I agree there.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure I've had the same thing battling the said Darumaka against a Cottonee, where I'd get "Darumaka's Quick Claw let it move first!" only for the Cottonee to use Stun Spore first. I'll post back if I notice it again...

Quote Originally Posted by darumaka4856 View Post
    I thought it could be something like that. The mechanics for what goes first and what doesn't, and what effects cancel each other out must be so complex now.

But yes, if Protect is a special case that "trumps" Quick Claw, still getting the message about Quick Claw is a bit stupid, I agree there.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure I've had the same thing battling the said Darumaka against a Cottonee, where I'd get "Darumaka's Quick Claw let it move first!" only for the Cottonee to use Stun Spore first. I'll post back if I notice it again...
    Cottonee's ability, Prankster, increases the priority of its non-damaging moves. Therefore Cottonee went first because it had a higher speed than Darumaka.
    ~I have claimed Glalie~

Moves have a priority. Moves like Protect and Detect have a priority of +4 while moves like Quick Attack and Mach Punch have a priority of +2. Moves with a higher priority go first regardless of speed. The Quick Claw only makes you go first if both you and your opponent use a move that have the same priority.

http://www.serebii.net/games/speedpriority.shtml
    Last edited by neo darkrai; 7th May 2011 at 5:31 PM.
    Top Five Non-Legends<---You can't stop them from domination...

Friend Codes:
    SoulSilver: 2407-8763-0856
    Platinum: 4726-3826-6538
    Pearl: 1890-7956-1544
        Spoiler:- Battle Info:

NeoDarkraiTV <--This is my YouTube account. Click and watch my Twilight Princess Runthrough and FireRed Runthrough.
    Currently working on making a competitve battling guide. Help would be appreciated.

Follow me on twitter.com/NeoDarkrai or facebook.com/NeoDarkraiTV for random stuff and updates on when new Episodes are up.

Ah! It all makes sense now - thanks all for your replies.

I guess, in that case, the only "glitch" is just the misleading prompt text when Quick Claw kicks in. Maybe an internationalisation issue? Does anyone know what it says in the original Japanese and how that transliterates? Maybe the translation into English has subtly changed the meaning - for example, if the original Japanese transliterates as "Darumaka's Quick Claw boosted speed!" that would still be correct in this circumstance, whereas "Darumaka's Quick Claw let it move first!" evidently isn't...

I had this happen to me once.
    Welcome to my lair, sssssmall tasssty morsssel'sssssss. How kind of you to presssent yourssselvessss to me, I hope you can sssstay for sssssupper......

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

Started by Crawdauntpro.

Sadly, Quick Claw doesn't work on anyone with Prankster, Protect, and Detect. It's not a glitch, but it's natural.

Read up on the game mechanics for speed priority. Quick claw DOES work on pokemon with prankster if you are using a move with the same priority (prankster increases non-damaging move priority by 1) or higher. It works against protect and detect too if you use a move with +3 or higher priority (+4 if pokemon with prankster is using protect/detect).

Quote Originally Posted by TheEpicGoomba View Post
    Protect always goes first.
    Not necessarily. Helping Hand would go before Protect in a battle.
    Top Five Non-Legends<---You can't stop them from domination...

Friend Codes:
    SoulSilver: 2407-8763-0856
    Platinum: 4726-3826-6538
    Pearl: 1890-7956-1544
        Spoiler:- Battle Info:

NeoDarkraiTV <--This is my YouTube account. Click and watch my Twilight Princess Runthrough and FireRed Runthrough.
    Currently working on making a competitve battling guide. Help would be appreciated.

Follow me on twitter.com/NeoDarkrai or facebook.com/NeoDarkraiTV for random stuff and updates on when new Episodes are up.

Quote Originally Posted by neo darkrai View Post
    Not necessarily. Helping Hand would go before Protect in a battle.
    Lol, finally, someone who understands how priority works.

Priority relies on speed and other things. Fake Out always goes first no matter what. Unless Protect or Detect or Endure is used. That's when speed kicks in.
    nam nam nam nam

I got no ideas for a sig

Quote Originally Posted by Typhlosionvsworld View Post
    Priority relies on speed and other things. Fake Out always goes first no matter what. Unless Protect or Detect or Endure is used. That's when speed kicks in.
    Fake Out has a priority of +3, while Protect, Detect and Endure have a priority of +4. This means that Protect/Detect/Endure will always go before Fake Out, regardless of each Pokemon's speed stat, unless the Pokemon using Fake Out is holding a Quick Claw and it activates. Only then would the speed stat be taken into account.
    ~I have claimed Glalie~

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Glalie View Post
    Fake Out has a priority of +3, while Protect, Detect and Endure have a priority of +4. This means that Protect/Detect/Endure will always go before Fake Out, regardless of each Pokemon's speed stat, unless the Pokemon using Fake Out is holding a Quick Claw and it activates. Only then would the speed stat be taken into account.
    I just said that protection moves would go first......
    nam nam nam nam

I got no ideas for a sig

that happened to me today when my darkrai was fighting a liepard, it used its quick claw, but liepard did sucker punch, so it depends but it is possible
    Match the Power or Aura
    Offical Group Chat for Sir Aron's Special Ops clan
    Click on this link: http://xat.com/SirAronsSpeacialOps

speacial thanks to Nakashima for the awsome bar

does quick claw actually make you gain a priority? I think it only works if both moves have the same priority, as in something using a higher priority or with prankster will always beat a quick claw

I have claimed Giratina

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser soze View Post
    does quick claw actually make you gain a priority? I think it only works if both moves have the same priority, as in something using a higher priority or with prankster will always beat a quick claw
    Basically, it gives you a Speed stat of infinity for that turn.

Moves have a priority. Moves like Protect and Detect have a priority of +4 while moves like Quick Attack and Mach Punch have a priority of +2. Moves with a higher priority go first regardless of speed. The Quick Claw only makes you go first if both you and your opponent use a move that have the same priority
    Actually those are wrong. Quick Attack has a priority of +1, but yeah.

Please feed my team! Thank you!

PM me for my friend code!

Lickyception!

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser soze View Post
    The Quick Claw allows you to go first, depending on priority. If your opponent and you both use moves with 4+ priority, and if your Quick Claw activates, you'll go first, regardless of Speed. If you use a move of +1 priority, and your opponent uses one of +2, even if your Quick Claw activates, they'll move first. So, yes, you're right.

seeing as, if you use focus punch(-7), your opponent almost always moves before you

I have found true bliss. It has been staring at me for eight years. Only recently have i welcomed it into my arms.
    September 5th, 2014

What Quick Claw does is boosts the speed priority of a move by 1. So, if you used a move with +1 priority, it would be +2. Likewise, a -1 move would have regular priority. When Venipede uses Protect, a move with a priority of +4, it would go first regardless of the attack used, as Darumaka cannot learn Fake Out. Cottonee's Prankster ability makes status moves like Stun Spore have higher priority. Cottonee is faster than Darumaka, as such it moves first.

I really feel quick claw should bypass everything since it only works sometimes. But with abilities like prankster and such, quick claw seems kinda pointless...