Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 390

Thread: Competitive Singles Rate

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    24

    Default

    http://www.smogon.com/download/sprites/dp/334.png

    Parafusion Altaria @Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Nature: Calm (+Sp.Def, -Atk)

    EVs: 252 HP/ (need opinions)

    Moves:-
    -Agility
    -Dragon Breath
    -Swagger
    -Roost

    I've done tonnes of research on Altaria and learned that it's not designed for offensive play, because of it's low attacks, it's inferior compared to Dragonite and Garchomp. So I'm thinking about parafusion set in order to take advantage of Altaria's defensive capabilities, which is what makes it different from other OU dragons. Dragon Breath gives 30% paralysis, Swagger to confuse, Agility to Sharply raise speed, and Roost for recovery.

    Is this set even possible??
    Last edited by LKH9; 13th August 2010 at 5:36 PM.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Leeds, England.
    Posts
    1,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LKH9 View Post
    http://www.smogon.com/download/sprites/dp/334.png

    Parafusion Altaria @Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Nature: Calm (+Sp.Def, -Atk)

    EVs: 252 HP/ (need opinions)

    Moves:-
    -Agility
    -Dragon Breath
    -Swagger
    -Roost

    I've done tonnes of research on Altaria and learned that it's not designed for offensive play, because of it's low attacks, it's inferior compared to Dragonite and Garchomp. So I'm thinking about parafusion set in order to take advantage of Altaria's defensive capabilities, which is what makes it different from other OU dragons. Dragon Breath gives 30% paralysis, Swagger to confuse, Agility to Sharply raise speed, and Roost for recovery.

    Is this set even possible??
    Relying on a 30% Par rate isn't very reliable, so you my want to pair it up with a Thunder Wave abuser and give it something stronger, like Dragon Pulse or Fire Blast.

    I also have to question Agility here. Aside from a faster Dragonbreath, it's doing nothing for you. And even then it's pointless. Dragonbreath isn't the strongest move, and using a turn to abuse it further when your opponent will probably switch isn't a good move.

    Something along the lines of:

    Swagger
    Roost
    Substitute
    Offensive move (Fire Blast, Draco Meteor and Earthquake are the best three off the top of my head.)

    would suffice more from Parafusion as that way you can set-up a sub, hope they don't break it and then attack at will. If they're para/fused their chances of attacking are that much slimmer.

    However to be honest it's not a great set. It relies too much on luck, all in aid of not really doing anything. You can't effectively stall things with it, and it just seems like a way of helping switch a frail sweeper in, meaning you really should pack Heal Bell.

    Now for a little something of my own:

    Gallade @ Iron Ball
    Adamant
    252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spe

    Trick
    Skill Swap
    Close Combat/Focus Punch
    Psycho Cut

    A little something I just thought up designed to be a bit gimmicky and fun but still hold some viability.
        Spoiler:- Explanation:


        Spoiler:- Other Options:


    If you're after something probably more reliable, then a standard Gallade set will do, however the unpredictability of this set is it's key; shift the game around to offbalance your opponents, and then begin the assault with Gallade's generous attack stat.

    However, when using this set it's a good idea to bare Gallade's HP and Def in mind. Below average, it means Gallade won't be able to unbalance things as much as it likes without a fair deal of switching and predictability.
    Last edited by Darkfall; 13th August 2010 at 8:54 PM.

    Banner credit: Jakotsu.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN
    Profesco says:
    You were an admirable baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by L0L View Post
    They named a game after me?

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Because when I fought Lance's Altaria and Whitney's Miltank, the Dragon Breath and Body Slam are very annoying, the paralysis happens quite often. I'll just replace Agility with Substitute. Thanks for rating, I like to use cute Pokemons.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Leeds, England.
    Posts
    1,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LKH9 View Post
    Because when I fought Lance's Altaria and Whitney's Miltank, the Dragon Breath and Body Slam are very annoying, the paralysis happens quite often. I'll just replace Agility with Substitute. Thanks for rating, I like to use cute Pokemons.
    See the thing there is that that's In-Game. In Competitive, things hit MUCH harder, so banking on a 30% Paralysis rate is really pushing you luck. But good luck anyway, if it works, then great, I just personally don't think it's worth sacrificing a potential KO for.

    Banner credit: Jakotsu.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN
    Profesco says:
    You were an admirable baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by L0L View Post
    They named a game after me?

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    23

    Default

    who is the strongest pokemon?????

  6. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorica View Post
    who is the strongest pokemon?????
    Based on what? There's really no one strongest Pokemon. Even Arceus, the Pokemon with the best all around stats, can be beaten by many other Pokemon.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    109

    Default

    lol absol is obviously, lorica

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    23

    Default

    @Fried Rhys: Thank you
    @jesusfreak94: Thanks you

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Leeds, England.
    Posts
    1,991

    Default

    Gengar @ Toxic Orb (Levitate)
    Timid
    4 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe

    Trick
    Will-o-Wisp
    HP Fighting
    Shadow Ball

    Pretty simple idea based on my Gallade set, Trick the Toxic Orb onto something that dislikes poison and then go nuts with Shadow Ball/HP Fighting.
    WoW felt like a useful addition, but I suppose you could go for more coverage if you preferred.

    EV's are pretty much there for the sake of being there. I'm not great with EVs so, I slapped those on. Suggestions there would be tops.

    Thoughts?

    Banner credit: Jakotsu.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN
    Profesco says:
    You were an admirable baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by L0L View Post
    They named a game after me?

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    81

    Default

    First, why waste an item on Toxic Orb when Toxic exists? Also despite its low accuracy Gengar needs Focus Blast. The set wouldn't really work since Gengar isn't bulky enough to pull it off, and Rotom-A does the same thing but better :/ I reccomend just using the sweeper set
    Last edited by 4kjayhawks; 16th August 2010 at 1:41 AM.



    TEAM WALRUS

    FC: 4984-8906-1424

        Spoiler:- OSL Badges/ Credit:


  11. #61
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    the fall of every season
    Posts
    3,739

    Default

    SubSplit beats most things that usually beat Gengar anyway, so really you're only beating bulky Waters with Toxic Orb. I guess if your team is weak to bulky Waters, but otherwise... eh.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Leeds, England.
    Posts
    1,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4kjayhawks View Post
    First, why waste an item on Toxic Orb when Toxic exists? Also despite its low accuracy Gengar needs Focus Blast. The set wouldn't really work since Gengar isn't bulky enough to pull it off, and Rotom-A does the same thing but better :/ I reccomend just using the sweeper set
    Because in giving something the Toxic Orb, I also take their item, which I can then abuse, or give to something else, thus ruining more strategies.
    That's why. The main aim isn't to poison something, it's to pour salt on the wound.

    Quote Originally Posted by otaku-dono View Post
    SubSplit beats most things that usually beat Gengar anyway, so really you're only beating bulky Waters with Toxic Orb. I guess if your team is weak to bulky Waters, but otherwise... eh.
    It doesn't have to be used primarily on Gengar's counters, that was an example of the easiest time to use it. It's useful for crippling opponents who rely on their items (choice users for example) with the Poison being, again, salt on the wound.

    Granted it's a little more situational, but it's not designed to become the standard Gengar

    Banner credit: Jakotsu.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN
    Profesco says:
    You were an admirable baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by L0L View Post
    They named a game after me?

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I've been looking at this Kabutops for a while now and I need to know If it's good enough for competitive play...

    Kabutops @ Life Orb
    Adamant Nature
    Swift Swim
    EV's 252 Attack 252 Speed 4 Defense

    -X-Scissor
    -Stone Edge
    -Waterfall
    -Swords Dance

    Swords Dance + Life Orb gives it great attack. X-Scissor takes care of grass types. It works best if Rain Dance is active.

    I also have been testing out a Gengar and I need to know if it's any good.

    Gengar @ Undecided
    Modest Nature
    Levitate
    EV's 252 Sp.Atk 252 Speed

    -Energy Ball
    -Focus Blast
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Bomb

    Energy ball for type coverage. Focus Blast is needed for Normal and Dark types. Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball are just there for STAB.
    Last edited by Puzzler2; 16th August 2010 at 7:54 PM.

  14. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzler2 View Post
    I've been looking at this Kabutops for a while now and I need to know If it's good enough for competitive play...

    Kabutops @ Life Orb
    Adamant Nature
    Swift Swim
    EV's 252 Attack 252 Speed 4 Defense

    -X-Scissor
    -Stone Edge
    -Waterfall
    -Swords Dance
    X-Scissor gives rather redundant type coverage with Stone Edge and Waterfall (it hits grass types, but that's really it) and Aqua Jet is a far better option, allowing you to sweep despite Kabutop's really poor speed stat.
    Gengar @ Undecided
    Modest Nature
    Levitate
    EV's 252 Sp.Atk 252 Speed

    -Energy Ball
    -Focus Blast
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Bomb
    Energy Ball and Sludge Bomb are both very poor move options for Gengar in the current metagame. The best available set is the SubSplit one, which uses Shadow Ball / Substitute / Focus Blast / Pain Split, letting you get past Blissey, one of the most common Gengar counters.

  15. #65

    Default

    You guys have got to check this Dusknoir out.

    Dusknoir@Leftovers
    Relaxed - Pressure
    252 HP/100 Def/158 Sp.Def
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    -Night Shade
    -Spite

    EVs and Nature subjected to change based on proper analysis.

    This thing is a monster. With Pressure and Spite working together, you zap 6 PP from your opponent every turn. Stuff like Shadow ball will be eaten up in 4 turns. Also, Because this thing is so hard to take down, the opponent will try to use their strongest attack, which usually have low PP. Night Shade is the only attacking move as there are no Atk EVs invested.

    This set has some problems, though. Firstly, it obviously has trouble dealing with Normal types. Secondly, it can't do anything against boosting sweepers. If they get off a few boosts, Dusknoir won't be able to wall them. I lost some matches this way.

    Well, there ya go guys. I'm confident this is a Dusknoir you'll like.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Altaria @ Yache Berry
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 200attk/200spd/56hp/56def
    Nature: Adamant
    Dragon Dance
    Dragon Claw
    Roost
    Earthquake

    I've yet to test this competetively but I have a feeling it could be a monster

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    VY Canis Majoris
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poke-lord View Post
    Altaria @ Yache Berry
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 200attk/200spd/56hp/56def
    Nature: Adamant
    Dragon Dance
    Dragon Claw
    Roost
    Earthquake

    I've yet to test this competetively but I have a feeling it could be a monster
    The EV's are just random.
    Yache Berry is useless, use Leftovers.
    You may as well you Smogon's DD Altaria...
    I have claimed Tangrowth.
    He's all mine now, hands off.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simse View Post
    The EV's are just random.
    Yache Berry is useless, use Leftovers.
    You may as well you Smogon's DD Altaria...
    WHy is the Yache Berry useless, and I thought the EV's would give it more of a chance in battles

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poke-lord View Post
    WHy is the Yache Berry useless, and I thought the EV's would give it more of a chance in battles
    By random, Simse means (I think) that they're not doing anything specific. Just switch it to 252 Att/252 Spd/Adamant for an offensive version, and 252 HP/ 16 Att/ 176 Sp def/ 64 spd/ Careful Nature. I don't think Yache is useless, but lefties are a completely better option. Also, this is basically just the Smogon set with different Evs, so I can't really rate the moves
    Last edited by 4kjayhawks; 23rd August 2010 at 9:27 PM.



    TEAM WALRUS

    FC: 4984-8906-1424

        Spoiler:- OSL Badges/ Credit:


  20. #70
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4kjayhawks View Post
    By random, Simse means (I think) that they're not doing anything specific. Just switch it to 252 Att/252 Spd/Adamant for an offensive version, and 252 HP/ 16 Att/ 176 Sp def/ 64 spd/ Careful Nature. I don't think Yache is useless, but lefties are a completely better option. Also, this is basically just the Smogon set with different Evs, so I can't really rate the moves
    I figured the EV's would make it (slightly) bulkier

  21. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poke-lord View Post
    I figured the EV's would make it (slightly) bulkier
    If you want good bulk, then it'd be best to max out HP first. Then deal with defenses after. Simse's right, the Smogon DD set would most likely work better. If you really want bulk, Altaria has some other bulky options too, besides DD.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts, America
    Posts
    391

    Default

    This thread doesn't get enough love IMO, here's a Sandslash I've been working on for the OU metagame.

    Sandslash@ Leftovers
    Sand Veil
    Careful Nature
    244 Hp/ 40 Atk/ 216 Sp. Def/ 8 Spe
    ~Rapid Spin
    ~Toxic
    ~Night Slash
    ~Earthquake

    Alright, so the premise of this set is to create a Rapid Spinner who can more successfully handle the OU spinblockers more effectively, namely Rotom-A and Gengar. I've been trying to create more advanced EV spreads, and I think I got this one down quite good, I'm hoping I didn't overdo anything. Rapid Spin is a given move on this set, as it clears entry hazards, which is invaluable in OU. Night slash can 2HKO Gengar, which cannot 2HKO me with Shadow Ball. Rotom doesn't like it, but I believe its a 5HKO on average, which is why Toxic is on the set, as Rotom does not like Poison damage. Earthquake is for STAB, and can actually do decent damage with Sandslash's not-too-shabby attack stat. The EVs allow for optimal leftovers recovery, a jump point in special defense, the rest were dumped into attack, except for the 8 Speed, which allows me to outspeed 4 Speed Vappy and get the Toxic on it, which the standard set hates. Also, Sandslash isn't at as much of a risk of Rotom's WoW because of Sand Veil and its already subpar accuracy.


    But fsch, why are you using Sandslash when you could be using....

    Starmie
    Starmie doesnt want to be taking Tbolts, Twaves, and Shadow Balls from the aforementioned Spinblockers, and if you really needed a Rapid Spinner, the most efficient route for you to take with Starmie would be the bulky set, but in reality it fails to even touch Gengar, standard 252/ 252 Sp. Atk/ Speed is 2HKOd by surf/ Hydro Pump, but its shadow ball is always an OHKO. Rotom can be EVd to take special hits from the bulkier set and KO with Tbolt, and you can assume that a Spinblocker Rotom would be EVd to take spinners.

    Donphan
    Same type, bulkier..? Can't touch Rotom. It can handle Gengar, but its attacks fail to do much to Rotom. Sandslash also has something of a surprise factor.

    Forretress.
    Pretty easy explanation. Hp Fire/ Overheat wreck it. Extremely predictable as well.

    Tentacruel
    Again, he hates Tbolt, Rotom can really mess with it,

    So, I've explained the advantages of using Sandslash as an OU spinner, it may not be able to do as many jobs as the other spinners mentioned, but it can do its job very efficiently.
    3DS Friend Code
    1950-8676-5817

  23. #73

    Default

    Actually, Donphan can get Rotom-A. Here's what can happen. Stealth Rocks is up on both sides, maybe something else. Trainer A sends in Donphan to Rapid Spin. Trainer B switches to Rotom-A to block the Rapid Spin. Trainer A predicts the switch and uses Assurance. With Stealth Rock added in, 0HP/0Def Rotom-A takes 72.83-83.62 damage from Assurance. Next is Ice Shard, a close but definite KO.

    Other than that, the set looks interesting, but it's just too outclassed in other aspects. Also, if you waste turns to kill the spin blocker then something else can just come out and revenge kill Sandslash before it has the chance to spin again.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts, America
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Actually, Donphan can get Rotom-A. Here's what can happen. Stealth Rocks is up on both sides, maybe something else. Trainer A sends in Donphan to Rapid Spin. Trainer B switches to Rotom-A to block the Rapid Spin. Trainer A predicts the switch and uses Assurance. With Stealth Rock added in, 0HP/0Def Rotom-A takes 72.83-83.62 damage from Assurance. Next is Ice Shard, a close but definite KO.
    True, weird scenario, but true.

    it's just too outclassed in other aspects.
    Also true. However I think this could potentially be really good in the lower tiers, and possibly even in OU if one desperately needs Spinning
    Also, if you waste turns to kill the spin blocker then something else can just come out and revenge kill Sandslash before it has the chance to spin again.
    Meh, not really that true considering he cant be trapped by anything but Dugtrio, which isn't too common, he isnt weak to Pursuit either, another advantage over Starmie.
    3DS Friend Code
    1950-8676-5817

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fschulze47 View Post
    This thread doesn't get enough love IMO, here's a Sandslash I've been working on for the OU metagame.

    Sandslash@ Leftovers
    Sand Veil
    Careful Nature
    244 Hp/ 40 Atk/ 216 Sp. Def/ 8 Spe
    ~Rapid Spin
    ~Toxic
    ~Night Slash
    ~Earthquake

    Alright, so the premise of this set is to create a Rapid Spinner who can more successfully handle the OU spinblockers more effectively, namely Rotom-A and Gengar. I've been trying to create more advanced EV spreads, and I think I got this one down quite good, I'm hoping I didn't overdo anything. Rapid Spin is a given move on this set, as it clears entry hazards, which is invaluable in OU. Night slash can 2HKO Gengar, which cannot 2HKO me with Shadow Ball. Rotom doesn't like it, but I believe its a 5HKO on average, which is why Toxic is on the set, as Rotom does not like Poison damage. Earthquake is for STAB, and can actually do decent damage with Sandslash's not-too-shabby attack stat. The EVs allow for optimal leftovers recovery, a jump point in special defense, the rest were dumped into attack, except for the 8 Speed, which allows me to outspeed 4 Speed Vappy and get the Toxic on it, which the standard set hates. Also, Sandslash isn't at as much of a risk of Rotom's WoW because of Sand Veil and its already subpar accuracy.


    But fsch, why are you using Sandslash when you could be using....

    Starmie
    Starmie doesnt want to be taking Tbolts, Twaves, and Shadow Balls from the aforementioned Spinblockers, and if you really needed a Rapid Spinner, the most efficient route for you to take with Starmie would be the bulky set, but in reality it fails to even touch Gengar, standard 252/ 252 Sp. Atk/ Speed is 2HKOd by surf/ Hydro Pump, but its shadow ball is always an OHKO. Rotom can be EVd to take special hits from the bulkier set and KO with Tbolt, and you can assume that a Spinblocker Rotom would be EVd to take spinners.

    Donphan
    Same type, bulkier..? Can't touch Rotom. It can handle Gengar, but its attacks fail to do much to Rotom. Sandslash also has something of a surprise factor.

    Forretress.
    Pretty easy explanation. Hp Fire/ Overheat wreck it. Extremely predictable as well.

    Tentacruel
    Again, he hates Tbolt, Rotom can really mess with it,

    So, I've explained the advantages of using Sandslash as an OU spinner, it may not be able to do as many jobs as the other spinners mentioned, but it can do its job very efficiently.
    I think Donphan really outclasses this set. It has more bulk, Assurance for Rotom, (though either will be doing nothing to it if it has Will-O-Wisp or Pain SPlit) that will be doing more if it attacks you. The only thing it has ove Donphan is the surprise factor, and a difference of 15 Base Speed, which doesn't particularly matter as a defensive spinner. I just don't know if that's enough to use it over Donphan.
    It's still a great, thought-out set, so props to you



    TEAM WALRUS

    FC: 4984-8906-1424

        Spoiler:- OSL Badges/ Credit:


Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •