Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Eight Ain't Enough! (388)

Grovyle Guest

Oh freakin joy, just as I predicted. Grovyle gets KOed without getting the chance to put up a decent fight and Pikachu hogs all the glory. *sigh* Well, at least Corphish finally gets some retribution from his previous losses. I can only hope Grovyle does too as they're training for the league.

Pikachu getting all the glory? Pikachu only beat Azumaou and Mirokarosu. Two out of five is hardly what I'd call being a glory hog. o_O; Be thankful that Heigani and Oosubame actually had some lengthy battling times in these Gym Battles.

I don't think it's really a shock that Juputoru lost. It WAS immobilized to begin with and Rabukasu did seem pretty strong.

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

Okay, judging by the little summary only (and NOT the specifics of the battle), i've decided that i don't like this episode at all.

The reason is simple: Grvoyle gets beaten by a WATER GUN of some stupid little heart thingy (one of weakest pokemon in the games, and therfore looked down by many), while Pikachu saves the day for the GOD KNOWS HOW MANY TIMES.
    The only good thing about this episode was that Swellow was able to beat Whiscash.

Sigh... that could have given grovyle the honor as it had been beaten by Drake before... but noooooooo. The little yellow rat gets the spotlight AGAIN!

Maybe my mind could change after actually seeing the episode, but I seriously hate the outline of the whole battle.

OK, that is seriously ****ed up. Not only does Pikachu hog all the glory yet again, but Juptle went out in a way that's just unforgiveable. One Angel's Kiss, one Water Gun, and it's out? Golden Darkness, are you serious, are you sure there's not more to it than that? Without even getting worn out by a previous opponent, without landing a successful blow to its opponent, barely doing a thing in this whole gym battle where it should be at an advantage, the same Pokemon that took a Kekking's Hyper Beam to the face and still kept going is tooken out by a status effect and just one measly Water Gun from a Lovecus? It couldn't even be a slightly more powerful Water Pulse like it used earlier? God, that is wrong.

Looks like Heigani and Coatoise aren't the only Pokemon that need retribution between here and the league. I can only hope the long-expected evolution for the guy will arise soon.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

OK, that is seriously ****ed up. Not only does Pikachu hog all the glory yet again, but Juptle went out in a way that's just unforgiveable. One Angel's Kiss, one Water Gun, and it's out? Golden Darkness, are you serious, are you sure there's not more to it than that? Without even getting worn out by a previous opponent, without landing a successful blow to its opponent, barely doing a thing in this whole gym battle where it should be at an advantage, the same Pokemon that took a Kekking's Hyper Beam to the face and still kept going is tooken out by a status effect and just one measly Water Gun from a Lovecus? It couldn't even be a slightly more powerful Water Pulse like it used earlier? God, that is wrong.

Looks like Heigani and Coatoise aren't the only Pokemon that need retribution between here and the league. I can only hope the long-expected evolution for the guy will arise soon.
    you took the words right out of my mouth.

Did the writers think that we would actually be bouncing with joy when we see pikachu get the spotlight AGAIN? I don't understand them at all. It's like every time we see pikachu using thunderbolt, thunder or iron tail. I can't express into words how disappinted I am about this battle.

Again, there wasn't much Juputoru could do. IT COULD NOT MOVE BECAUSE OF SWEET KISS. Because of that, it has no control over defending itself from an attack. And remember, game logics do not always apply here. Otherwise, Oosubame wouldn't have taken on the beatings it's taken before. Just because Rabukasu is one of the weakest in the games, doesn't mean it can't have some good usage in the anime. Don't compare the two. --; And again, Pikachu only battled TWICE. How the hell is that stealing anyone's glory? e_e

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san

There's a little bit more to Grovyle's loss. Ash gave a command to Grovyle but the only thing that Grovyle did was pound his head on a column. Brock did tell Ash to recall Grovyle but Adan ordered a Water Gun.

I'm not applying game logics. Whether or not Juptle could defend itself, it still should be able to stand up after one Water Gun (because as I said earlier, it took a Kekking's Hyper Beam to the face. That should seriously do a lot more damage that one stream of water, however high-pressured it is, to the torso or whatever). And as I was saying earlier, that Lovecus knows Water Pulse, which is of course more powerful than Water Gun (even in the anime, judging by the fact that an Ametama had to use it to break a rock). Use it to take out Juptle, it would've been a lot less degrading.

But Golden Darkness, thank you for telling me Juptle at least gave himself severe cranial damage in his confusion before getting hit by that lone Water Gun. It makes me feel a little better over Juptle's loss.

I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

I'm not applying game logics. Whether or not Juptle could defend itself, it still should be able to stand up after one Water Gun (because as I said earlier, it took a Kekking's Hyper Beam to the face.
    Big difference there. It was able to move while battling Kekking. It could not after Rabukasu's Sweet Kiss had taken effect.

That should seriously do a lot more damage that one stream of water, however high-pressured it is, to the torso or whatever). And as I was saying earlier, that Lovecus knows Water Pulse, which is of course more powerful than Water Gun (even in the anime, judging by the fact that an Ametama had to use it to break a rock). Use it to take out Juptle, it would've been a lot less degrading.
    Considering Juputoru cannot move, it's a sitting duck and leaves it self open to taking an attack hard and taking the impact of a fall without the ability of helping itself up. A bonk to the noggin, blast to the body and fall to the ground would hurt quite alot if you had no way of softening your fall. o.O

Regardless of whether Grovyle could move or not, a Water Gun shouldn't have been able to defeat him. Being able to move has nothing to do with it... you either take the damage or you don't. Grovyle took the damage, and lost. I for one think it's disgusting... even more so considering that Pikachu IS is Glory Hog and DID grab the glory ONCE AGAIN. I mean, seriously. He's been around for ages now, and has had lots of screen and battling time, so I think that maybe, just maybe, the scriptwriters should ease off a bit.

Oh, and one more point about Grovyle that nobody has seen fit to mention~ Water Gun is a Water type attack. Grovyle is a Grass type, so the damage should have at least been halved. If I recall correctly, Bulbasaur soaked up Electabuzz's Thunderbolt in the Orange League Championship Battle, and he wasn't even moving at the time.

Final Thought: Pikachu should get only one battle in the Houen League. Tops.

And again, Pikachu only battled TWICE. How the hell is that stealing anyone's glory? e_e
    Then tell me, how many times does a pokemon have to battle to be glorious for your standards?
    The fact that it beat two pokemon in the battle and was the last one standing, makes it the glorious pokemon of the day. In case you didn't notice, it's usually the last pokemon in the battlefield that gets the glory, and in this episode, as was in many others, it was Pikachu.

Big difference there. It was able to move while battling Kekking. It could not after Rabukasu's Sweet Kiss had taken effect.
    So? What's moving got to do with the taken damage? Moving might have a lot to do with EVADING an attack, but we clearly saw in that grovyle took full blast of hyper beam in the 5th battle. Even though we got struck home by water gun, he should have had some resistance to it.

Sure, if it was in its right senses. Surely being confused contributed to its early fainting.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

Well...i'm glad Ash had won...and Pikachu to get the Final Hoenn Gym Spotlight...but sad the Snorunt didn't...oh well...

I can't wait to see the Pics...it should be intresting to see Grovyle hitting itself in the COLUMN...lol...
    (>^_^)> !i!i!i! ~ŁańkaŃ \|/ ßlάĉK §ϋŃ~ !i!i!i! <(^_^<)

Click here to be directed to the game ---> Pokemon Survivor

Pika stealing the glory was to be expected, but Grovyle losing to a bloody Luvdisc is unforgivable. Yeah we all know that the games and anime ain't the same but the degree of strength in the games is usually reflected in the anime, so no matter which was you cut it, Luvdisc is the epitome of utter crapness with possibly one of the worst special attack stats around. Bloody stupid...

But on the other hand, before Treecko evolved into Grovyle, wasn't Treecko losing a lot... not speculation, just curious.

yeah..grovyle should be undefeatable just because he s so kick-*** cool....-_-"
    God, I don t understand why everyone is so grovyle addicted...he won as a treecko the 2nd and as grovyle the 5th gym battle and killed altaria...I think he can take a few looses...you guys are acting like the world is going to end because of grovyle loosing to a luvdisc..think of it..adan was using a better strategy....and that luvdisc was very strong..game stats can t be transfered into the anime..I mean..a real grovyle shouldn t be able to win against an altaria, but it did and noone was complaining...-.-
    grovyle couldn t move and couldn t doge luvdiscs attack, so he lost..what s so "unforgivable" about that?
    I think it was unexpected that grovyle lost to luvdisc and that s what makes gym battles interesting..they are not very predictable ( mostly..)
    4 Generations - 8 Teams - 48 Pokémon - 1 Trainer

I have to at least Second Alfonso I can only stand Pikachu, getting that way on Treecko/Groovyle on the Sidelines for Battles, let the Exclusive Hoenn pokemon besides Groovyle get some action. At least Corphish beat a Pokemon and Swellow fought.
    I have 3 Swellow's I believe, Swell, Tail and another one forgot that other name lol

yeah..grovyle should be undefeatable just because he s so kick-*** cool....-_-"
    God, I don t understand why everyone is so grovyle addicted...he won as a treecko the 2nd and as grovyle the 5th gym battle and killed altaria...I think he can take a few looses...you guys are acting like the world is going to end because of grovyle loosing to a luvdisc..think of it..adan was using a better strategy....and that luvdisc was very strong..game stats can t be transfered into the anime..I mean..a real grovyle shouldn t be able to win against an altaria, but it did and noone was complaining...-.-
    grovyle couldn t move and couldn t doge luvdiscs attack, so he lost..what s so "unforgivable" about that?
    I think it was unexpected that grovyle lost to luvdisc and that s what makes gym battles interesting..they are not very predictable ( mostly..)
    well the thing is, grovyle doesn't have that much wins as we think.

only 4 wins and 3 losses.

Grovyle
    win:
    vs Golduck
    vs Slaking
    vs Altaria
    vs Quagsire & Walrein (with Pikachu)

lost:
    vs Swellow
    vs Altaria
    vs Luvdisc

Like all of Ash's pokemon besides Pikachu, grovyle needs more wins and more spotlight.
    come to think of it, it has a better win/loss stat than Torkoal.

Torkoal
    win:
    vs Steelix
    vs Slakoth
    vs Scizor
    vs Lombre

lost:
    vs Manectric
    vs Vigoroth
    Last edited by frednmethod; 21st January 2005 at 3:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TeddiUrsa
    On the contrary, I thought this Gym battle turned out to be very predictable. Infact, one of the most predictable so far~ I personally had no doubt that Grovyle was going to lose to that Luvdisc as soon as I saw the preview for part one as it dodged the onslaught of Bullet Seed attacks with ease.
    I thought it was inevitable that this Luvdisc was going to do something amazing and it appears it did just that.
    I know game stats don't come into play in terms of the animé, but you have to admit, a flimsy little fish like Luvdisc wiping the floor with a Grovyle thats already been established as amazingly strong just...well....sucks :X Hell, I'm not a rabid Grovyle fan myself, but even I found it ridiculous. Its like they didn't even give Grovyle a chance.

Although I am one of those who are rather frustrated at the fact Grovyle was apparantly taken down quite quickly, I'm still more annoyed at the fact that Corphish wasn't given as much screentime as it should have been given. I mean, come on, surely a water field was the perfect chance for the little guy to redeem itself and lay the smack-down (as they say) on some tough opponents? Thats what I find the most annoying about this match anyway. We didn't need to see Pikachu take the final win AGAIN ~.~ Give us something different, geeze...

I'm not usually one to judge something before I see it, but for a 2 part final gym battle this one doesn't sound too impressive at all. I don't mean to sound negative, but this just sounds somewhat standard and bland IMO. At least during the Liza and Tate battle there were a few surprises along the way *shrug*

Maybe you re right.. but I don t watch previews..I watch the episodes and mostly skip the preview. But I was sure that grovyle will loose to luvdisc because of the last scene from the first part, but I think the whole situation was quite untypical.
    But I was hoping for snorunt to fight a bit longer..I think that frustrated me more than grovyle losing.
    And I fing it somewhat funny and entertaining that grovyle lost to a pokemon that everybody seems to hate ^^
    4 Generations - 8 Teams - 48 Pokémon - 1 Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by frednmethod
    well the thing is, grovyle doesn't have that much wins as we think.

only 4 wins and 3 losses.

Grovyle
    win:
    vs Golduck
    vs Slaking
    vs Altaria
    vs Quagsire & Walrein (with Pikachu)

lost:
    vs Swellow
    vs Altaria
    vs Luvdisc

Like all of Ash's pokemon besides Pikachu, grovyle needs more wins and more spotlight.
    come to think of it, it has a better win/loss stat than Torkoal.

Torkoal
    win:
    vs Steelix
    vs Slakoth
    vs Scizor
    vs Lombre

lost:
    vs Manectric
    vs Vigoroth

HA PROOF THAT TORKOAL IS BETTER THEN GROVYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! GROVYLE HAS LOST MORE THAN TORKOAL MAKING TORKOAL BETTER!!!!

well i cant wait for the synphosis of this ep it looked realy cool!
    Your banner was too big, so it was removed. This is your 5th strike, so your entire signature was removed, you were banned for 3 weeks, and will lose signature privileges shortly. Do not edit your signature anymore. Please remember to read the signature rules and get your signature checked if you need help.

Well no one expects Grovyle to be omnipotent and damn near impossible to beat, the thing that has annoyed people is that a Luvdisc beating a Grovyle just ain't logical, aspecially as how strong Ash's Grovyle is, it just ain't realistic. If it had lost to Milotic then that would be fine because it would of fell to a worthy opponant, but losing to a little piece of crap like Luvdisc is just, well stupidly funny lol It would of made more sense is Luvdisc knew ice beam or something. Oh well, everyone already hated Luvdisc, this doesn't help its reputation...

Quote Originally Posted by IMPERIAL DRAGON
    Well no one expects Grovyle to be omnipotent and damn near impossible to beat, the thing that has annoyed people is that a Luvdisc beating a Grovyle just ain't logical, aspecially as how strong Ash's Grovyle is, it just ain't realistic. If it had lost to Milotic then that would be fine because it would of fell to a worthy opponant, but losing to a little piece of crap like Luvdisc is just, well stupidly funny lol It would of made more sense is Luvdisc knew ice beam or something. Oh well, everyone already hated Luvdisc, this doesn't help its reputation...
    what makes me angry is that i know that there are some people in the forums that like luvdisc and they are probably laughing there heads off at everybody that hates it because grovyle lost to it.

Quote Originally Posted by IMPERIAL DRAGON
    Oh well, everyone already hated Luvdisc, this doesn't help its reputation...
    You got that right. To quote my friend over AIM, "That thing was already on my least favorites list, now it's on my hit list".

Anyway, Edward Elric, you said earlier that Juptle would be unable to get up again because of its condition, but shouldn't that be 'paralysis'? Angel's Kiss caused 'confusion', which means no matter how out of its senses it is, Juptle should still be able to stand up, or at least flail around on the floor, or something. If it's not moving, though, that means it was fainted, not restrained by its condition. And as everyone's been saying, that all seems pretty illogical not just by game stats, but by observations throughout the anime itself. Speaking of which, this isn't the games, but during stuff like Mikan's gym battle, they actually do make reference to type resistance being halved damage, so with that in mind, a Water Gun to a Juptle should be considered even moreso.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    Sorry but it's REALLY annoying when people bug us every other post asking what happened. It doesn't make things go any faster. :\
    sorry! also sorry about the torkoal thing but i just like him alot!!!

Pics are up but they seem to have captured the worst parts of the fight. They always seemed a second off of soemthing important. Anyway. It looked like an awesome fight. The best gym one yet

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast