Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #19

I had a hunch this Pokemon would show up soon.

Decent-ish stats, small movepool, solid abilities in Chlorophyll and Overcoat, and type that is decent offensively and horrendous defensively.

Pump my Stats
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    Ability: Swarm/Chlorophyll
    EVs: 252 attack and speed, 4 HP
    @: Life Orb/Leftovers

Swords Dance/Agility
    Leaf Blade
    X-Scissor
    Aerial Ace/Shadow Claw

Very Simple. Boost and attack. By the way, Poison Jab is useless. Grass types wouldn't switch in in the first place and X-Scissor handles them anyway. Poison Jab is a big no-no.

Choice (or lack there of)
    @: Choice Band/Scarf

X-Scissor
    Leaf Blade
    Aerial Ace
    Shadow Claw

If Aerial Ace is becoming standard, you know you have a crappy movepool. The concept of the set is again simple.

And now for the out of the ordinary sets:

Dual Screens
    Ability: Overcoat
    Nature: Careful/Impish
    EVs: 200 defense and special defense, 104 HP, 4 attack or speed.
    @: Light Clay

Reflect
    Light Screen
    Protect/Toxic
    Leaf Blade/X-Scissor

I think everyone can figure this out.

Twin Stats
    @: Life Orb/Leftovers

Swords Dance
    Agility
    X-Scissor
    Leaf Blade

Tough to pull off. If it is pulled off, you will have quite a simple life.

Baton Pass
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Overcoat/Chlorophyll
    EVs: 200 defense and special defense, 4 HP, 52 attack and speed.
    @: Leftovers/Focus Sash

Baton Pass
    Swords Dance/Hone Claws
    Agility
    Leaf Blade/X-Scissor/Substitute

You do not need me to explain.

Partners:
    If it can switch into Fire and Flying, it's a partner
    I claim Buizel.

Default endure-flail

endure/subsitute
    flail
    shadow claw
    leaf blade
    item: salac berry
    ability: overcoat
    EV's: 4 HP / 252 ATT / 252 SPE
    nature: lonly(+att -def) / hasty (+spe -def)
    with overcoat levanny is imune to both sandstorm and hail
    if your using endure u should use lonly or hasty with 0 def and sp def iv's to make sure u get 1 HP if ur using subsitute go with adamant or jolly. shadow claw and leaf blade are for hitting ghost and rock types that try to resit flail unfortuantly steel types block all of leavannys moves

Leadvanny

Leavanny (F) @ Light Clay / Leftovers
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen
    - Leaf Blade
    - Return

This is a double screening lead that can give a team mate the chance to start an early sweep, or allow for another pokemon to start setting up Entry Hazards quite easily. The choice of item is down to preference, considering that leavanny has screen support, longevity isn't much of an issue so light clay is generally better, however if you chose to run leftovers, the HP stat is at 353, which is a leftover number, allowing for more healing per turn. Leaf blade is basic stab, and return provides a little coverage, however X-scissor is workable for dual STAB.

En Garde!

Leavanny (M) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - X-Scissor / Shadow Claw / Baton Pass
    - Leaf Blade
    - Return / Baton Pass

This is a sweeping set for Leavanny, abusing its Ability and workable offencive stats. It's best to be run with the new Ninetales, as to abuse the Chlorophyl nature. The Evs are that stardard for any frail sweeper. The 4 EVs in Defence over HP, is to put Leavanny at Life Orb number of HP, which is 291, meaning Leavanny can sweep for 11 turns of life orb recoil. The moves are the best Leavanny can get for coverage, so it's worth putting baton pass on set to pass the swords dance boost to someone like Venusaur that can take out problem pokemon like Heatran. However, Leaf Blade is your Basic STAB option, Return is for coverage and X-scissor is used to milk whatever Leavanny can from its lacking movepool. Shadow Claw can be used as a scraping-the-bottom-of-the-barrel move for coverage over the likes of Gengar, who resists pretty much every other move Leavanny packs.

Leavanny is going to NU for certain... just like the Swalot of last week... Which reminds me Leafeon should probably be BL, if not OU. If Umbreon and Glaceon are counted as at least BL, that leaves Flareon as the only Eeveelution that remains UU/NU. Speaking of Flareon, Fire Pokémon in general are bad news to Leavanny. Same thing goes to Staraptor and company, mainly because of their shared Flying type. Also Steels. *cough*Durant*cough*
    YouTube Pika250, Twitter Pika250
    BMGf no. 8125 (Pika25), Smogon no. 8077 (Pika25)
    Find me at those Forums too!

My Pokemon Online Dream Team, I am "Scotty" on PO

Name:

Leading Mantis

Movset:

Reflect
    Light screen
    Sunny day
    Toxic/Leaf Blade/Solar Beam

Abilities: Clorophyll

Item: Heat Rock
    Natures: Jolly or Timid
    Evs: 252 Speed, 124 defense, 124 Sp defense, 8 health

Strategy: A different set then those dancers... Everywhere. Sunny Day activates your ability, and supports a sun team. Double screens? Well, alakazam is better but, what are you going to do? Bam, defenses are up. Toxic is a cool status, but leaf blade stops taunt bait. Solor beam tricks the other team, Expecting a physical sweeper.

Honestly, I wish Reno would stop dissing the Pokemon itself (Swalot article) and be more professionally. The friendliness of Serebii is what makes me like it over Smogon, but a little professionalism would be nice.

I'm pressed for time (again), so I'll just list Leavanny's positive attributes:
    Swords Dance with nice stats and offensive options, not to mention Chlorophyll
    Can use Agility in conjunction with Swarm or possibly SubPinch, like a Physical version of the infamous SubPetaya Empoleon (and it even gets access to Flail)
    Can Baton Pass virtually anything*
    Can go for gimmicky Calm Mind Special set
    Other support options include DualScreens (including Safeguard) and Grasswhistle

*Quite a number of Gen V Pokemon can Baton Pass a lot of stuff. For Leavanny specifically, here are its boosting options:
    Agility
    Calm Mind
    Hone Claws
    Mind Reader

Pre-Evo Corner
    Sewaddle is a beast in LC. Swadloon has actually more defensive prowess than Leavanny (except for HP) and, of course, is able to use Eviolite. It doesn't get Synthesis, though, or any other heal move apart from Rest.
    Last edited by PhilosophicalPsychologica; 8th May 2011 at 9:24 PM.

Movesets

Lucky Annoying Bug

Leavanny @ Light Clay
    Trait: Swarm
    EVs: 252 HP / 126 Def / 130 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Light Screen/Reflect
    - Toxic
    - Leaf Blade
    - Flash/Protect/X-Scissor

Light Screen for the bad SDef.Reflect if want more defense.Toxic for damaging.Leaf Blade for steel types and other stuff plus it's STAB.Flash to make them miss.Protect for protecting yourself.X-Scissor if you don't want a lot of defenses.

Attacking Bug

Leavannny @ Flame Orb
    Trait: Swarm
    EVs:133 HP / 252 Atk / 63 Def / 60 SDef
    Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
    -Poison Jab/Toxic
    -Leaf Blade/Swords Dance
    -X-Scissor/Swords Dance
    -Facade/Swords Dance
    Poison Jab for damaging but if you're lucky they get poisoned.Toxicc for badly poisoned but no damage.Leaf Blade and X-Scissor for standard STAB moves.Swords Dance freely gives more attack.Facade for doubled damage.

Speedy Bug

Leavanny @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Sunny Day
    Agility
    Poison Jab/X-Scissor/Leaf Blade
    Poison Jab/X-Scissor/Leaf Blade

Sunny Day for brilliant speed and Agility makes your speed stupendous!Poison Jab, X-Scissor, and Leaf Blade delivers damage.

Partners

Anything that is a Special Attacker and can learn Sunny Day will be a partner.Why?Some pokemon have better defense than special defense and if you don't want to use Sunny Day use the partner to use Sunny Day only if Leavanny has Chlorophyll.
    Last edited by KrookodilePwner; 13th May 2011 at 9:15 PM. Reason: Forgot to make partners and forgot to bold stuff and forgot to underline and typed one moveset wrong.

Hey you drillos can you drill this for me?

Rhyhorn, Rhydon, and Rhyperior - pldh.net
    Userbar - Kreayshawn

Leavanny? Wow, NOW we're getting random. Anyway, with below-average offense, slightly above average Speed, and two near-crippling 4x weaknesses, Leavanny is an ideal competitor in UU or even BL if you want it to be there.

Abilities:

Chlorophyll
    Doubles your Speed in sunlight. With a Swords Dance boost, an Adamant nature, and sun under your belt, you can revenge-kill a fair few Pokémon in UU.
    Swarm
    Kinda useful, as it increases Bug-type moves power by 1.5. You could run a SubSalac set with it with Swords Dance and X-Scissor, but sadly, Chlorophyll is just better, with so many priority moves in UU to wipe out your remaining HP.
    Overcoat
    Prevents damage from weather affects. This stops hail damage from Abomasnow and sandstorm damage from Hippopotas in UU, but this ability is generally a waste of space.

Movesets:

Dancing Leaf... Bug... Thing

-Swords Dance
    -X-Scissor
    -Leaf Blade
    -Shadow Claw / Aerial Ace / Poison Jab / Return / Substitute
    Item Attached: Life Orb / Liechi Berry / Salac Berry
    Ability: Swarm / Chlorophyll
    EVs and Nature: 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spd
    Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)

If saved for late-game, Leavanny can actually be pretty good. With 335 Attack with Swords Dance and possibly a pinch berry, Leavanny can actually put a dent on some walls in UU.
    Leaf Blade and X-Scissor are good STAB attacks.
    The final move is sadly a filler. Shadow Claw can be used to destroy the Ghosts of UU. Aerial Ace can wipe out the Fighting and Bug types out of existence. Return is for neutral coverage. Substitute can synergize with Swarm and a pinch berry (even though the pinch berry haven’t been released to 5th Gen yet) and block status moves.
    Life Orb is for a consistent boost for all of Leavanny’s moves, but at the cost of 10% HP per turn. Considering Leavanny’s semi-fragility and weaknesses, Life Orb may end up KOing it, but it’s worth a mention. Liechi/Salac Berry can be used with Swarm and/or Substitute to get a better boost to help sweeping if all of the priority users are gone.

Other Options

Choice Band/Scarf is worth a mention, but not suited for Leavanny.
    Calm Mind can be used with Hidden Power, Energy Ball/Grass Knot, Bug Buzz, and Air Slash, but is inferior to Swords Dance.
    Grasswhistle has only 60% accuracy, but putting someone to sleep is very rewarding if it hits.

Double/Triple Battles
    Weak to Lava Plume and Flame Burst… yep, that means disaster for Leavanny. He can’t set up, he can’t put someone to sleep (if he’s carrying Grasswhistle). If anyone can tell me how to use Leavanny effectively for Multi Battles, tell me.

Counters
    Fire, Steel, and Flying types are Leavanny’s bane. They can take a hit and fire off a strong move.

Conclusion
    Good in UU, but needs a better movepool to hit Steel types.
    Last edited by PMSandStormSBBZ; 8th May 2011 at 9:58 PM.

I didn't bother reading most of what was posted previously. I'll state what's probably been said before. Leavanny is UU, and will be. It has two good stats for Physical Sweeping, but that's the only thing going for it. x4Fire/Flying Weaknesses combined with x2Rock/Ice/Bug/Poison means it is a lonely little one. I was actually hoping for Scolipede, but its alternate is OK for a go this time. I'll try out a couple simple sets here:

[ EDIT: Sorry I keep forgetting about natures. I'll put them in these now: ]

Scarvanny
    Item: Choice Scarf
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    -X-Scissor
    -Leaf Blade
    -Shadow Claw
    -Return

Not much is needed to be said here. Hit fast and hard. X-Scissor and Leaf Blade provide the pretty strong STAB moves. Shadow Claw and Return are there for fillers more than anything. Swarm is if you happen to have your health low, or you could run Chlorophyll in Sun.

Sub-Swarm-Flail-X-Scissor
    Item: Salac(?) Berry
    Ability: Swarm
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Def
    -X-Scissor
    -Substitute
    -Flail
    -Aerial Ace/Return/Leaf Blade/Shadow Claw

Gimmick set. Maybe. Sub up until you have low health. Then, when the Berry and Swarm kick in, use X-Scissor to take full advantage. Flail is good with low health, too, so use it. Then, you have to pick from four other choices, usually depending on your team. Aerial Ace... Has such low power, But its still usable, I guess. Return is a Normal move. Leaf Blade provides another STAB move, and so is very usable. Shadow Claw is to take care of Psychics and Ghosts.

And I think I'll put something for Swadloon:

SWalloon
    Nature: Calm
    Ability: Leaf Guard
    Item: Eviolite
    EVs: 252 Def, 252 SDef, 4 HP
    -Sunny Day
    -Rest
    -Toxic/SolarBeam
    -Protect

An OK walling set by my opinion. Rest without the sleep makes it awesome. ProtecToxic is used to prolong your existence and cause damage, but SolarBeam pairs nicely with Sunlight and keeps you from being Taunt-bait. This set is ruined by Fire-type attacks, though, so be careful if you use it.

Thats what I gotta say. Yeah. I think thats it...
    Last edited by WeatherEffectRain; 8th May 2011 at 11:22 PM.

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

Leavanny@Choice Specs
    Modest
    4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
    -Leaf Storm
    -Bug Buzz
    -Hidden Power[Rock]
    -HYPER BEAM
    I was bored.

When I first saw Sewaddle, I thought, wow, he’s cool. If his final evolution is cool, I may have him, assuming I didn’t choose Snivy (because at this point almost everyone wanted Snivy). When I first saw Leavanny, I thought Leavanny was pretty cool. Okay, he has 6 weaknesses, two of them are double weaknesses. That’s fine, seeing as four of his weaknesses can be taken out by a Rock-type move and the other two by a Ground-type move. Sounds good, right? Except Game Freak decided not to do that, same with a whole bunch of other Grass-types that could be better if they could learn Rock and Ground-type moves. That was my problem with Serperior. With both Serperior and Leavanny, they basically just get STAB moves and a few Normal TMs. Not that Leavanny isn’t bad, just that it has a whole bunch of weaknesses and can’t really do anything about it. I think this or something similar has probably been said, but I think I good Leavanny would be:

Leavanny @ Muscle Band
    Adamant/Jolly: Swarm/Overcoat
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
    - Leaf Blade
    - X-Scissor
    - Shadow Claw/Poison Jab/Baton Pass
    - Return/Swords Dance

Okay, Leaf Blade and X-Scissor are for STAB, and they’re really good. Shadow Claw and Poison Jab are just for filling in moves, but Return may work because you need high friendship to get Leavanny. Baton Pass may be used if you want to Sword Dance Leavanny just to pass him. Otherwise don’t use Swords Dance just to raise his Attack as Leavanny won’t survive many hits. Both his abilities are useful, although Swarm is basically going to work once, and that’s assuming Leavanny will go first (which it probably will). Notice I didn’t put Chlorophyll as sunny weather will boost Fire-type moves, which will already kill Leavanny.

Bulky Substitutes Sun Baton Passer
    Swadloon@Eviolite
    Ability: Leaf Guard
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP 152 Def 104 SpDef
    Rest
    Substitute
    Agility
    Baton Pass

The definition of Taunt bait. With Leaf Guard, it can use Rest and wake up immidiately, which is always helpful, but it can't do it behind a Sub. Substitutes are for Baton Passing, and so is Agility. This might work with Swadloon's bulk, but the terrible defensive typing cripples Swadloon.

Sewaddle@Choice Specs (Sun LC)
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    EVs: 252 SpAtk 252 Spd
    Solarbeam
    Silver Wind
    Air Slash
    Energy Ball

This set is made to be a Sun sweeper. After Vulpix or another sets up Sunlight, Solarbeam away with a nice SpAtk and an awesome speed in the Sun. Silver Wind is another STAB and if lucky can boost all of Sewaddle's stats. Air Slash can hurt stuff and Energy Ball is there if the Sun ever stops. Not too great in LC, but might prove to be a threat with Drought Vulpix.

Well, i suppose that there's no purpose with me putting another sd set. I'd just like to point out the great beast this guy can be with chlorophyll+swords dance. I'd put a focus sash on this guy just because of all of those weaknesses. I think Leavanny will make an excellent if Ninetales is gonna be in UU. I'm not sure about OU potential though.

3DS: 5413 1009 1553

Please don't blame me if somebody has posted this. I don't feel like scrolling through the page looking at each and every set.

Swadloon@Evolite
    Ability:Leaf Guard
    EV's: 252 Hp 150 Defense 105 Sp. Defense
    Nature: Gentle

Moves:
    1. Calm Mind
    2. Toxic
    3. Protect
    4. Bug Buzz

Basic idea is to stall until opponent dies. He actually gets Defenses like Porygon 2 with evolite. Not much to say... except that i don't like the random number generater

New Bible Verse of the Week: Zephaniah 2:3
    Seek the Lord, all you humble of the earth who have carried out His ordinances; seek righteousness, seek humility. Perhaps you will be hidden in the day of the Lord’s anger.

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherEffectRain View Post
    Sub-Swarm-Flail-X-Scissor
    Item: Liechi Berry
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    -X-Scissor
    -Substitute
    -Flail
    -Aerial Ace/Return/Leaf Blade/Shadow Claw

Gimmick set. Maybe. Sub up until you have low health. Then, when the Berry and Swarm kick in, use X-Scissor to take full advantage. Flail is good with low health, too, so use it. Then, you have to pick from four other choices, usually depending on your team. Aerial Ace... Has such low power, But its still usable, I guess. Return is a Normal move. Leaf Blade provides another STAB move, and so is very usable. Shadow Claw is to take care of Psychics and Ghosts.
    Just to note, the leftover EV wants to be in Def if you wanted to activate the berry via subs. But also, Liechi berry is currently banned as far as I'm aware.

[ Edit: ^I'll try and change it. Thanks ofr the info. ]

Yeah. I'll try a new spectrum for me; the way of "Partners."

Partners:

Rock-types. They resist Fire and Flying, and can hit hard against Ice, Bug, and neutrally against Poison and other Rocks. In the UU, I'd say something along the lines of Golem. You could also put in Nidoking, what with his move-pool, and resistance to Bug, Poison and Rock. Watch out for Ice, though, on both.

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    Since Swadloon with Eviolite would be fairly decent
    No it wouldn't lol. It doesn't have any recovery, no Spikes and no offense. I guess you could try a defensive Calm Minder but you're just going to get slaughtered by Fire, Taunt or "good" players every time.

Actually Blue Harvest, Swadloon has the risky Manaphy copy. Leaf Guard+Sunny Day+Rest= 100% Recovery with a huge weakness. But, I guess its still usable, 'cause it'd die from a fire-type move anyway.

Anyone else notice that Swalot was spelled wrong on the homepage? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherEffectRain View Post
    Actually Blue Harvest, Swadloon has the risky Manaphy copy. Leaf Guard+Sunny Day+Rest= 100% Recovery with a huge weakness. But, I guess its still usable, 'cause it'd die from a fire-type move anyway.
    No its a shitty Manaphy copy. Ok, Leaf Guard + Rest is cool but its still garbage compared to pretty much everything else.

Its like saying Iron Defense Metapod is good at walling Breloom because of Shed Skin, Evolite and resistance to its STABs. Just because it "does something" doesn't make it usable.

Can I ask a philosophical question here? It's related to this topic tho... Is there any way to make use of Camouflage? I "think" in any Wifi battle, it changes your typing to "Normal" (If I am wrong on that if someone could correct me with the correct info would be much appreciated)... Yes you would be removing STAB, but you would also potentially be removing 4x weaknesses of Fire and Flying from Leavanny which may allow it to stay in against things it might otherwise be scared off by...

For Example... Leavanny is scared by Chandelure obviously... But what if say on a switch in Leavanny had used Camouflage... Could it then potentially stay in against Chandelure and attempt to Shadow Claw it... This is clearly a very specific situation I am talking about, but I "think" you get the idea I am trying to get at...

Thoughts about this would be appreciated... I know it's probably too gimmicky to work out anyway, but I just wanted to throw that thought out there.

She's all mine you can't have her

I got bored and a little carried away. Hope this helps anyway.

Spoiler:- Wall of text:

</ going nuts>

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Sleep Then Strike
    Adamant
    Swarm
    Muscle Band/Choice Band/Choice Scarf/Life Orb
    252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    Hone Claws
    Grasswhistle
    Leaf Blade
    X-Scissor
    Using Hone Claws three times makes Grasswhistle have 100 accuracy, using it twice gives you about 92 accuracy. Also, using it three times gives you 2.5 times the attack power and 2 times gives your attack double the power so your other physical moves such as Leaf Blade and X-Scissor are powered up. Swarm boosts X-Scissor if your HP is low.

This can be viable, but having a choice item ruins it, so does life orb. Leavanny isn't great at taking hits, so Leftovers would be better used on this set.

Setting up 3 Hone Claws would be idea, but it's not likely to happen with those stats, so going for 2 is the best you can hope for.

Jolly nature is best to get past many of the pokemon in UU. Other than that this is a nice little niche set.

Why're people suggesting Hone Claws? SD is much better, plus Leavanny doesn't have any real non-100% accurate moves that are useful. One thing that really lets it down is no access to a Rock move, namely Stone Edge.
    Originally posted by: R4GEKILL!!! No need for STAB. STAB is stupid.
    LULZ

"Yes, I will see you through the smoke and flames on the frontlines of war and I will stand my ground until the end, until we conquer them all."

Black:5286 2326 2599
    I rather adore music. I less than three it. <3

"Let's believe that if we all stand together, we're a force that could shake the whole world. For once I'm doing something right when we say, 'Woah, woah.'"

I'll battle anything as long as I've got Pokemon to put the team together.

Gee, there's a whole lotta hate for Leavanny, isn't there? This is the set I use.

Jolly Nature, 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
    Item: Focus Sash

Leaf Blade
    X-Scissor
    Swords Dance
    Entrainment

Typical Swords Dance set, with the exception of Entrainment. It's a very underrated and useful move, shutting down abilities like Levitate and Rough Skin, or at least forcing switches.

The resistances mean Leavanny can't pull off a total sweep most of the time, so switching is usually a must. Because of this, a Spinner is strongly recommended to make the most out of the Focus Sash.

With Jolly and max speed, Leavanny can actually outrun quite a bit of the unboosted competition. Base 92 Speed isn't bad at all, despite what some people think. Mine has outrun Pokemon with higher base speed on occasion.

Grass and Bug hit supereffectively on a lot of the metagame. Hydreigon, Musharna, most bulky waters, and a number of others. Even when not running Adamant, base 103 Attack backed by Swords Dance can be quite frightening, and there's also the potential of a Swarm boost.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast