Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #19

Just a point, focus sash out side of lead position isn't generally a good idea as it's too inconsistent, something like leftovers / life orb / Lum Berry would be better.

I'd say if it had a Fighting or Ground or Fire move that wasn't Hidden Power, Camoflage + Endure + Flail would work... In the sun.

Basically, force a switch, Camoflage, Endure a hit, sweep with STAB Flail and your Chlorophyll speed boost. And maybe Liechi berry when it comes out.

When Salac becomes available, I guess it could do Overcoat + Endure + Flail + Salac. Still, completely gimmicky. And needs a hell lot of support. But a 300 BP move from Leavanny hits harder than... wait, no CB Garchomp hits harder.

Edit: Liechi Berry makes Leavanny hit harder than CB Haxorus Outrage. I think. When it's released.
    Last edited by SomeoneIGuess; 9th May 2011 at 3:01 PM.
    Ignore, thanks.

Calm Mind Passer Swadloon (Pre-Evo Corner)

bold
    252 DEF/252 HP/4 SPD
    eviolite

Calm Mind
    Baton Pass
    Substitute
    Bug Buzz

Just pray that those defenses are enough to survive a hit or two

First post, first try at one of these. Used this set for a while now, taking account of Leavanny's slightly lower but still potentially useful special attack:

I Can Do Special Too!

Nature: Timid (-Atk, +Spe) or Modest (-Atk, +Sp.Atk)
    Ability: Overcoat/Chlorophyll
    Item: Focus Sash
    EVs: 6HP, 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Spe

Calm Mind
    Energy Ball/Leaf Storm
    Bug Buzz
    Hidden Power (Rock)

Calm Mind to set up with Focus Sash taking any hits which would normally KO it, then hope to take out as many as you can. Bug Buzz for STAB, which has more power than X-Scissor and as X-Scissor is physical, there is no need for it on this set. Energy Ball is my preference over Leaf Storm as it doesn't drop Special Attack and STAB as well. Hidden Power Rock, depending if you're quicker than your opponent gives those pesky Fire and Flying types a scare they may not expect.

Chlorophyll may be used if you're using it on a sun team if so desired and would definately give this set more usability if you can get Calm Mind up before the opponent takes out Leavanny. Overcoat if it's not on a sun team to stop residual damage from Sandstorm/Hail

Partners:

Rock types. Enough said. Waters may be a useful team mate too on a non-sun team as most can learn Ice Beam to cover Flying and their STAB moves for Fires. Starmie can be a good team-mate to Leavanny, covering the bases of having Water STAB and access to both Ice Beam and Thunderbolt. Omastar too is a potential team-mate due to it's dual Rock/Water typing giving both Rock and Water STAB and it has the awesome Shell Smash.

Counters:

Fire, Flying. Take your pick. Blaziken, Infernape, Volcarona, Zapdos, Staraptor, Thundurus... basically anything Fire or Flying which outspeeds Leavanny if they have speed EVs too, or in the case of Blaziken, Speed Boost.
    Last edited by pthame; 9th May 2011 at 10:26 AM.

My personal set for Leavanny:

Critical Blade
    Adamant/Jolly nature
    252 ATK, 252 SPD, 4 HP
    Ability: Overcoat
    Hold item: Scope Lens
    Leaf Blade
    X-Scissor
    Shadow Claw
    Poison Jab

I know that Chlorophyll is usually used so that Leavanny can get the speed in, but in my gaming style, I don't really incorporate weather conditions, and what with Sandstorm and Hail constantly being a threat, I feel Overcoat is good for resisting those weather conditions. Moveset is pretty standard, Leaf Blade serves as STAB, high power and high critical hit ratio, further boosted by Scope Lens. X-Scissor also serves as STAB, and helps to cover a fair few types. Shadow Claw is also boosted by Scope Lens, so there's justified reason to run this move. The final move I use is Poison Jab, but this is down to personal preference. It can be dropped in favour of a move like Aerial Ace (useful for taking down other Leavanny), but it can also be dropped in favour of Swords Dance (just as long as you're sure your one can survive a hit).

Poison Blades

Jolly nature
    252 ATK, 252 SPD, 4 HP
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    Hold item: Focus Sash
    Leaf Blade
    X-Scissor
    Toxic
    Protect

This is move set is more suited for a team using Sunlight and works well in double battles. With sunlight activated, Jolly nature and the EVs in speed, you can outrun many pokemon in UU. Toxic will badly poison pokemon who aren't immune (Poison, Steel, and Pokemon with Immunity). This might force a switch or leave one pokemon badly poisoned. Using protect will help stall Toxic as well as scout for attacks the opponent will use. Leaf Blade and X-Scissor are the strongest physical STAB moves Leavanny can learn. If you do get outrun, Focus Sash will prevent a OHKO and you will still be able to use Toxic and poison a pokemon.

Partners

Looking for possible partners, Ninetales is the perfect candidate due to it's DW ability Drought. With continuous sunlight, Leavanny is surprisingly fast and will be able to poison any pokemon (vice poison, steel, and pokemon with Immunity).

Counters

Any Fire, Steel, Poison, and Flying pokemon will bring trouble to Leavanny. Skarmory comes to mind, only receiving 1/4 damage from both attacks and resisting Toxic.
    Pokemon X
    3DS FC: 3394-3592-2934
    Friend Safari - Dark

Status
    Hunting for Minun

Current Team

Hidden Ability Pokemon
    (x2)(x2)

Shiny Pokemon (In Pokemon White)

Important: For anyone who doesn't know yet... Like 3 posts above, most Flying types do not use their Flying STAB.

Chlorophyll Hone Claws seems like a REALLY Good set. 92% Sleep is good when you're really fast, since most of the time you can get 2 Hone Claws. Probably one of the only sets you'll see in OU.
    Ignore, thanks.

Ooh Leavanny. We are getting somewhere.

Every Leavanny's Set
    -Swords Dance
    -Leaf Blade
    -X-Scissor
    -Return/Shadow Claw/Aerial Ace
    Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -Sp.Atk)
    Ability: Chlorophyll/Swarm/Overcoat
    Item Attached: Focus Sash/Life Orb/Expert Belt
    Leavanny works great in Sunny Day teams, and w/decent Speed, it can outrun OU Pokes. So, SD is great a boost and you don't see much Bug Pokemon with SD. Leaf Blade and X-Scissor for obvious STAB moves. The rest is a filler and great decent coverage.

Flail
    -Flail
    -Substitute
    -Leaf Blade/Leaf Storm/X-Scissor
    -Shadow Claw/Aerial Ace/Swords Dance
    Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -Sp.Atk)/Hasty (+Spd, -Def)
    Ability: Chlorophyll/Overcoat
    Item Attatched: Focus Sash
    EV's: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd or 4 HP/189 Atk/63 Sp.Atk/252 Spd
    Under Sunny Day w/Chlorophyll, Leavanny can work a Flail set pretty well. Substitute to get your HP down without worries. If for some reason another Poke attacks and outspeeds you, Focus Sash will save you and now you are at max damage for Flail. Leaf Blade and X-Scissor are your obvious choices for a STAB move. Leaf Storm is worth mentioning to get some mix sweeping action. The rest are fillers.

Choice Band
    -Leaf Blade
    -X-Scissor
    -Aerial Ace/Return/Shadow Claw
    -Aerial Ace/Return/Shadow Claw
    Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -Sp.Atk)
    Ability: Chlorophyll/Swarm/Overcoat
    Item Attatched: Choice Band
    EV's: 252 Atk/4 Sp.Def/252 Spd
    Similar to the SD set, but just running Choice Band. No need for explanation actually.
    Last edited by SazandoraMASTER; 9th May 2011 at 11:55 AM.

FC: 2022 2993 1000

Apart from all the bad points that have allready been pointed out, Leavanny does have two points which could catch your opponent out.

1. Guarenteed Sleep! (Sleepanny)

Leavanny has 2 ways of setting this up.

[U]Sleepanny/U]

Mind Reader
    Grasswhistle
    Aerial Ace
    Leaf Blade

Item - Focus Sash
    Ability - Overcoat
    Nature - Jolly
    Ev's - 252 Speed / 252 Attack / 4 HP

A good set for taking out a lot of bulky water grass and ground types
    Set up with Mind Reader and put to sleep on your second go. Focus Sash will keep you alive and Overcoat will stop you being wiped out by Hail/Sandstorm.
    Grass & Flying gives you very good type coverage but you are WALLED by steels. Just be aware of Priority Moves!

This can also be set up using Hone Claws as in this move set

Hone Claws
    Grasswhistle
    Aerial Ace
    Leaf Blade

Would also boost your attack power, however you would need at least 2 Hone claws to get your accuracy decent enough (92%) by which time it is likely your'd be dead.

2. Camouflage

Could work well as a suprise set. The opponant is going to expect to be able to take you out with one hit (because of your BIG weaknesses). However Camoflague takes those weaknesses away as (in competitive play) it will change your type to Normal. (which gives Return STAB)

Camouflage
    Return
    X Scissor
    Leaf Blade

Ability - Swarm

This set probably has little to no viability, but here goes:

Stabby stabby

Leavanny @ Focus Sash/Life Orb
    Jolly/Adamant Nature, 252ATK/252SPD/4HP
    Swarm/Chlorophyll

-Camouflage
    -X-Scissor/Shadow Claw
    -Leaf Blade/Shadow Claw
    -Return

It's all about hitting hard with STAB, which is the reason for X-Scissor and Leaf Blade. Camouflage removes Leavanny's unsightly 4x weaknesses to Fire and the rarer but no less threatening Flying at the cost of STAB on one or both of its main attacks. Return is the replacement STAB, and Shadow Claw lets you hit Ghosts that would otherwise be immune to Return.

Ideally, you'd want a Rock-type to cover you in case for some reason Camouflage isn't an option. The best examples I can think of are Aerodactyl due to its Speed and Terrakion due to its bulk. Garchomp and any Bulky Water work too. And as odd as it may sound, Flareon is a good partner. Switch in on a Fire attack, Wish on your opponent's switch, and let the cards fall where they may. Best-case scenario, Flareon lives to Baton Pass the hell outta there, worst-case, it dies and Leavanny gets the Wish anyway. Lastly, Drought Ninetales is one of, if not the ideal partner for the Chlorophyll set. Base 283 Speed becomes Base 566 in sunny weather, in which case, Adamant is the preferred nature.

Again, I'm not an expert on the 5th Gen metagame by any means, but I'm doing my damndest to contribute.
    Pokemon Y Friend Code: 3282-3535-2249

Friend Safari: Pansage, Petilil, Gogoat

As of now, my focus is on Safaris with starters (barring Wartortle and Quilladin), but give me your Safari anyway. Chances are I'll find something interesting.

For all of you who are running Sash/Flail sets, you also may want to consider Camoflague. If it has the speed boost from Chlorophyll, then it can set up with Camo and then have a STAB Flail. And then sweep with Flail (until a Ghost comes or a Steel type comes). Wow. I think this is the only pokemon who can attempt a sweep with Flail.
    Who is next?

Typhlosion is epic and has beaten the heck out of OUs!

If you are like me, and think that Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, paste this in your sig. Started by Epicpip

I think all the sets are taken now.

Hmm... Ok here's one that's just plain irritating...

Leadanny
    Ability: Overcoat
    Nature: Timid
    Item: Light Clay
    Moves:
    Light Screen
    Reflect
    Camouflage/ Taunt
    Return/ Leaf Blade

Light Screen and reflect up your defences, then camouflage turns you normal, so you only have 1 weakness, or you could have taunt to prevent... stuff happening... Return if you have camouflage or leafblade if you don't...
    IV's in attack, then speed then Hp...
    I thought of one for swadloon also...

Survivloon
    Ability: Leaf Guard/ Chlorophyll/ Overcoat
    Nature:Calm
    Item: Eviolite
    Moves:
    Grasswhistle/Toxic
    Mind reader/Protect
    Calm mind/Struggle Bug/Camouflage/Sunny day
    Energy ball

This set is all about preference, with grasswhistle and mind reader being an excelent combo, 100% accuracy, buut it gives your opponent a chance to set up a defence... So you could use toxic, which lowers their HP more each turn, so you use protect. Camouflage to remove the main weakness, or calm mind to up your special defence and special attack, struggle bug to lower their special attack and do damage, or you could have sunny day to make use of chlorophyll and leaf guard.
    energy ball is it's strongest move, apart from struggle bug, but you have to train up your sewaddle to a suitable level... which would suck...
    Yeah IV's in both defences then Hp...
    Mmmmm Steel types...

It seems to me, you lived your life like a Litwick in a Whirlwind, never knowing who to Klink to when the Drizzle set in, and i Sudowoodo like to know you, when I was just an Elekid , but the Litwick burned out long before the legend ever did...

Proud Member of "The Triumvirate"

Credit to Gladeshadow

Quite honestly the funniest thing that i have ever heard:
    Originally Posted by Zibdas
    I thought butter was a type until I was 6. I could've sworn there's a butter type...
    DFTBA

Quote Originally Posted by easilyamused1 View Post
    Calm Mind Passer Swadloon (Pre-Evo Corner)

bold
    252 DEF/252 HP/4 SPD
    eviolite

Calm Mind
    Baton Pass
    Substitute
    Bug Buzz

Just pray that those defenses are enough to survive a hit or two
    Actually thats decent. I had no idea it learned Baton Pass. Maybe HP Ground or Rock over something to at least have a chance against inbound fire types.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmahX View Post
    Responses to other Strategies

Bone Cold Marowak Guy: Why would you run Hone Claws on a set that has three 100% accuracy moves, on a pokemon with Swords Dance?

Whitelightning: Poison Jab has inferior coverage to X-Scissors, and no STAB. Aerial Ace or Swords Dance would be more viable 4th slot options.

Zachmac: Thanks for the catches, I edited in some of the changes.
    Whoops. I didn't see Swords Dance. (facepalm away, folks!)

I'm back, baby.

Hm. The more I look at Leavanny, the more chances for good sets I see... Nothing too good, just good. Leaf Blade and X-Scissor are the standards for the sets, which is okay. People considering Shadow Claw, Return, Camouflage... It actually has good sets. Even the Prevos are good in LC|Sewaddle/NU/UU|Swadloon. Leavanny is... Nice. I gotta give it that... Plenty of move options, plenty of strategies... Yeah. Leavanny is nice.

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

clothing shell wall?
    swadloon@ eviolite
    ability leaf gaurd
    protect
    toxic
    calm mind
    energy ball

basic walling set. calm mind helps make it even bulkier and toxic to stall with protect. energy ball for stab. with a drought ninetails on the team on the team in a double battle toxic won't destroy it.
    They say if you press cntrl and W you get to see the programming of a website after making a signature with 3 ws and 8qs
    Fanfics I like that are still in production: Author's Run, Pokémon emerald the better version

This the aquabats song awesome forces:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx4sL0w3SHM
    and here is their song shark fighter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wchrctxFo

I NEED A BETA READER!
    Check out my fic.
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...2#post14945242

I'm new in the Pokemon metagame but I could give it a try

Leavanny @ Leftovers?
    -Swords Dance/Leaf Blade/X-Scissor
    -Agility/Leaf Blade/X-Scissor
    -Substitute/Leaf Blade/X-Scissor
    -Baton Pass

Simple set. Just power up with SD or Agility or make a Sub then Baton Pass. Leaf Blade and X-scissor is useful if you don't want to get trapped by Taunt.

Another simple set could be like this:

-Swords Dance
    -Grasswhistle
    -Leaf Blade/X-Scissor/Poison Jab
    -Leaf Blade/X-Scissor/Poison Jab

No idea about EV for the two sets.. Don't know if these sets are great or bad. Leavanny isn't one of the best Pokemon. It has not many attacking moves, but a lot of supporting moves which is nice. It's weaknesses is bad, and the defense and Sp. defense stats is horrible combined with the weaknesses. The good attack stat is nice with access to Swords Dance, and Agility is nice too. You could use Agility and a Focus Sash to survive a possible Fire or Flying attack and Pass with great Speed to get a sweeping possibility for the next Pokemon.

My English is bad, so I hope you understand it. And I'm not good at the metagame either, so this was to try my skills. Hope you like it! =D

hmm i was actually thinking of training one but there is one thing it lacks that its same type counterpart has SPORE!
    and due to this it has nooooo chance of surviving for long without substitute
    so you must hit hard while you can thats what this set allows you to do.
    Hit Me With Your Best Shot
    Nature Adamant/Jolly
    Item Miricale seed/ Silver Powder
    Abilitity Swarm/overcoat
    Substitute
    Swords Dance
    Leaf blade
    X-scizzor
    Ev's maxed out attack in speed for both natures and 4 in hp

Use this power wisely
    Moveset extrordanaire just ask if you want assistance
    Owner of the CK general chat channel on Purplesurge leave me a post if ya want info :-)

FINALLY GOT A CLAIM...
    All Munchlax are mine!

Munch Munch Munch Munch Munch Munch Munch Munch...

Ideas for double and triples:

Leavanny will LOVE to be in with Archeops or Aerodactyl at the same time. Whats more, Leavanny will actually make Archeops playable, since in the sun, you can use entrainement on your own Archeops to get rid of that stupid defeatist ability and replace it with one that boosts his speed! Then you'll have a beast of a flying type that can actually make up for all of leavanny's weaknesses with his rock stab and eq (normally eq should not be touched, but leavanny is 4X resisted, so. . . it should't be too much of a problem). EQ also takes care of steel types that will wall Leavanny to death (unless their name is skarmory, and if in triple and positioned correctly with a ninetails as well, even he will perish).

Any pokemon that can use simple beam could also help Leavanny, assuming he isn't in a sun team, by simple beaing him. With this, one hone claws would double his attack, while making his Grasswhistle hit 92% of the time. Not bad ^^.
    Last edited by gyarados151; 9th May 2011 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Afterthought
    Current in game team:
    Blaziken
    Aegislash
    Malamar
    Noivern
    Aurorus
    Sylveon

I was actually thinking about making one of these for a sunny day team.

Leavanny: Crouching tiger, Slicing Mantis
    Adamant, 252 speed, 252 attack
    Life orb, focus sash(helps chance to get swords/Sun off), Choice band
    Chlorophyll preferably, but Swarm with no sun support.
    Leaf Blade
    X-Scissor
    Shadow Claw
    Swords Dance/Return/Aerial Ace/Sunny Day
    Take pity on me, for I am but a n00b in the presence of the l33t!

Quote Originally Posted by Epicpip View Post
    For all of you who are running Sash/Flail sets, you also may want to consider Camoflague. If it has the speed boost from Chlorophyll, then it can set up with Camo and then have a STAB Flail. And then sweep with Flail (until a Ghost comes or a Steel type comes). Wow. I think this is the only pokemon who can attempt a sweep with Flail.
    I did that!
    On the last page.

Except I shudda posted it in format -.-
    Thought it was a dumb idea.

Leavanny @ Focus Sash / Lum Berry / Liechi berry (When it's released)
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
    EVs: 4 Something / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Endure / Swords Dance
    - Camoflage
    - Flail
    - Shadow Claw

In this order:
    Foe switches (Choiced onto e.g. Garchomp's EQ)
    Leavanny Camoflages
    Leavanny Endures
    Foe attacks
    Leavanny Endures the hit
    Leavanny uses Flail
    Foe Faints

Shadow Claw for Ghosts, there's nothing for steels and rocks anyway. Just pray that you hit so hard they faint.

Focus Sash to survive if the opponent isn't choiced. Lum Berry is preferred since you could get screwed somehow via status. Endure > Sash cuz of hazards. And being better overall.

Swords Dance is an option for Sashers.

And run this set in the sun. The EVs are put such that you outrun Scarf Timid Latios in the sun.

Without the sun: Max Spd and Jolly to outrun base 90 Scarfers. But you MUST HAVE A SALAC BERRY.

Notes: Liechi allows you to hit harder than CB Haxorus Outrage
    -- Salac is very gimmicky
    -- In no sun, another option is Paralysis support
    -- Priority kills you. The good thing is that you hit harder than Physical Hydreigon Outrage even if you switch.

Edits:
    Added SD
    Changed EVs since HP is useless. MORE SPEED TO OUTRUN RANDOM CRAP. Like Modest Scarf Accelgor!

Ok, no, but really, HP is useless here.
    Last edited by SomeoneIGuess; 12th May 2011 at 3:29 AM.
    Ignore, thanks.

In double battles, Entrainment+Chlorophyll would be fun to use on it's teammates in the sun. Think of Chlorophyll Heatran or Darumanitan.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My signature sucks.

Crobat can easily haze away swords dances (if any) and then KO with STAB Brave Bird or Acrobatics.

Chlorophyll Heatran is a no. Heatran likes absorbing fire moves!

Speaking of Entrainment, Chlorophyll Garchomp is also kinda cool. You get 2 DDs in a turn. And Leavanny 4x resists your EQs too.

Partners: Heatran. Because they resist a hell lotta crap.
    Ignore, thanks.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast