Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #19

I dunno. I read that somewhere, so I'm not entirely sure myself. Maybe it's a 5th Gen thing?

Edit: Bulbapedia says that he can't get affected by Skill Swap and Worry Seed etc.
    Last edited by SomeoneIGuess; 12th May 2011 at 12:05 PM.
    Ignore, thanks.

Entrainment people.
    Not Entertainment.

I persnoally love Leavanny, Even with the dreaded bug grass type, it can take down teams that are not prepared.

I run this moveset online with huge sucess, it really throws people off.

Switch Bug,
    252 Hp, 80 Sp. Att, 178 Speed.
    Modest Nature
    Swarm
    @Red Card
    -String Shot
    -Struggle Bug
    -Leaf Storm
    -Entrainment

His purpose is to come in after you have set up entry hazards with something like ferrothorn, then they are usually forced to switch into something else, taking massive entry hazard damage.
    Levanny has Good speed and can outspeed almost anything it hits with string shot, usually forcing the switch.
    Struggle bug is to hit things that are switching in to make them quickly switch back out due to having lowered stats and it gets a good boost with STAB and swarm
    Leaf Storm is a powerful STAB move that OHKO's Gastrodon, etc..
    And entrainment takes care of any pokemon that relies on its ability forcing them to switch.

All in all this levanny if used with entry hazards can wreak some havoc on an unexpecting foe.

Plus he is one of the only pokemon that can actually use struggle bug usefully.
    Last edited by rdod1000; 12th May 2011 at 6:22 PM.

after reading this potw i decided to try leavanny out on PO. She works AMAZING with drought ninetales
    Leavanny
    item:focus sash
    252spd 252atk 4hp
    adamant
    chllorophyl
    leaf blade
    x-scissor
    shadow claw
    swords dance

amazingly good sweeper, especially if she manages to use two swords dances... scary powerful

edit: the only bad thing is how much damage she takes from stealth rock...

Quote Originally Posted by rdod1000 View Post
    I persnoally love Leavanny, Even with the dreaded bug grass type, it can take down teams that are not prepared.

I run this moveset online with huge sucess, it really throws people off.

Switch Bug,
    252 Hp, 80 Sp. Att, 178 Speed.
    Modest Nature
    Swarm
    @Red Card
    -String Shot
    -Struggle Bug
    -Leaf Storm
    -Entrainment

His purpose is to come in after you have set up entry hazards with something like ferrothorn, then they are usually forced to switch into something else, taking massive entry hazard damage.
    Levanny has Good speed and can outspeed almost anything it hits with string shot, usually forcing the switch.
    Struggle bug is to hit things that are switching in to make them quickly switch back out due to having lowered stats and it gets a good boost with STAB and swarm
    Leaf Storm is a powerful STAB move that OHKO's Gastrodon, etc..
    And entrainment takes care of any pokemon that relies on its ability forcing them to switch.

All in all this levanny if used with entry hazards can wreak some havoc on an unexpecting foe.

Plus he is one of the only pokemon that can actually use struggle bug usefully.
    No.
    Struggle Bug sucks, IT GETS BUG BUZZ.
    String Shot?!
    And of course Leaf Storm OHKOes Gastrodon!

Quote Originally Posted by ClefairyRox View Post
    Gee, there's a whole lotta hate for Leavanny, isn't there?
    Typed like Parasect and its defenses and HP are comparable to Pidgeot...what's not to hate. Stealth Rock chipping a decent portion of its already craptacular HP is also a red flag.

Base 92 Speed is an issue because so many faster Pokemon carry a STAB to KO it outright, but even a non-STAB move will hit like a ton of bricks. Getting past a faster opponent with their own Chlorophyll and HP (Fire) is almost impossible for Leavanny (however, only Whimsicott, Leafeon, Sawsbuck, and Jumpluff have that kind of Speed capability). Rain is a boon and a burden - it weakens Fire, but Leavanny needs the Sun for speed.

Having a Flash Fire Pokemon as a backup is useful, but Flying is also a problem of the same magnitude. If you can get a Rock/Water Type in without error, so much the better for Leavanny's escape. A Sap Sipper Ability Pokemon as a backup for the Rock/Water Type makes it all the better. Hazards make this less viable.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAwesomeOne View Post
    No.
    Struggle Bug sucks, IT GETS BUG BUZZ.
    String Shot?!
    And of course Leaf Storm OHKOes Gastrodon!
    The idea with struggle bug is to weaken the opponents spec atk, forcing a switch if they're reliant on spec attack. The idea of this set is to let the hazards do all the work.
    Current in game team:
    Blaziken
    Aegislash
    Malamar
    Noivern
    Aurorus
    Sylveon

Quote Originally Posted by gyarados151 View Post
    The idea with struggle bug is to weaken the opponents spec atk, forcing a switch if they're reliant on spec attack. The idea of this set is to let the hazards do all the work.

WHY NOT JUST KILL THEM DUH
    -.-
    10char
    Ignore, thanks.

The point of this set is to force switches and give you an overall advantage in battle not necessarily outright kill opponents. The red card forces an extra switch into something that is much easier for leavanny to deal with, possibly making them switch out again. He does damage to the whole team indirectly and that is why he only needs leaf storm as a powerful attack move, for certain situations.

The Red Card possibly gives your opponent a free switch to something that Leavanny can't touch. Plus it's one time use.
    If you kill something with Bug Buzz, they still take damage when the new Pokemon is sent out, and you did more damage overall. If you want to force switches for disrupting Baton Pass chains, or Setup sweepers, then Dragon Tail and Circle Throw or Roar and Whirlwind are the way to go. Otherwise Volcarona just Quiver Dances in your face and you can't do anything about it.
    Last edited by SomeoneIGuess; 13th May 2011 at 4:07 AM.
    Ignore, thanks.

Default Sewaddle Set

Let’s give Leavanny’s pre-evolutions some love. Lately, we haven’t received a lot of good stuff for these pre-evos.

Calm Bugger

-Calm Mind
    -Energy Ball / Solarbeam
    -Bug Buzz
    -Hidden Power [Fire] / [Fighting] / [Ground]
    Item Attached: Life Orb / Occa Berry / Coba Berry / Focus Sash
    Ability: Chlorophyll / Swarm
    EVs and Nature: 232 HP / 252 SAtk / 20 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

The one and only decent sweeping set for Sewaddle in the Little Cup. Calm Mind is there to boost your Specials, Energy Ball is nice for reliant STAB damage, or the awesome Solarbeam / Chlorophyll combo if you’re packing Vulpix’s Drought.
    Bug Buzz is additional reliant STAB.
    Hidden Power [Fire] is good for random Steels in the Little Cup like Bronzor. Hidden Power [Fighting] is also good for Steels, just with better type coverage. Hidden Power [Ground] also covers Steels, but you miss out on good blows on common Pokémon like Bronzor or Gastly.
    Life Orb is the generic item for sweepers, as it gives a consistent 130% boost to all attacks at the cost of 10% HP per turn. Occa / Coba Berry can be used to protect against Sewaddle’s 4x fire and flying weaknesses respectively, and Focus Sash if you feel that Sewaddle can't survive ANYTHING.
    The EVs there help Sewaddle survive some hits a little better, while being able to outspeed nearly anyone in LC with Chlorophyll boosted speed and help net some KOs. If you’re not running Chlorophyll, you can replace some HP EVs into Speed EVs.

Now for Swadloon.

Calm Minder

-Calm Mind
    -Bug Buzz
    -Energy Ball / Solarbeam
    -Air Slash / Hidden Power [Fighting] / Substitute
    Item Attached: Leftovers / Red Card / Occa Berry / Coba Berry
    Ability: Chlorophyll / Overcoat
    EVs and Nature: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 128 Spd

Calm Mind raises your Specials, Bug Buzz and Energy Ball / Solarbeam are your nice STAB moves. Air Slash wipes out the Grass and Bug types littered in NU, and Hidden Power [Fighting] takes care of the Steels blocking your STAB attacks, and Substitute can be used for the infamous SubCalm Mind strategy to block status from ruining your day.

Leftovers is… zzz… Red Card can possibly give Swadloon a less suitable counter, thus allowing Swadloon to Calm Mind some more. Occa / Coba Berry can allow you to survive your Fire and Flying 4x weaknesses, respectively.

Chlorophyll if you’re running sun support, Overcoat if not.

See you guys later.
    Last edited by PMSandStormSBBZ; 13th May 2011 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PMSandStormSBBZ View Post
    Calm Bugger

-Calm Mind
    -Energy Ball / Solarbeam
    -Bug Buzz
    -Hidden Power [Fire] / [Fighting] / [Ground]
    Item Attached: Life Orb / Occa Berry / Coba Berry / Focus Sash
    Ability: Chlorophyll / Swarm
    EVs and Nature: 232 HP / 252 SAtk / 20 Spd
    Check my Post, that's the most efficent EV spread you can use really.

Spoiler:- Threads You Should Check Out!:

Swipe Mayhem Strategy:

252 Attack/252 Speed
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    Hold Item: Metronome

Sunny Day
    Fury Cutter
    Leaf Blade
    Hone Claws

Hone Claws will boost Levanny's already high Power, plus, boost accuracy. Fury Cutter does greater damage if used in succession. The Metronome boosts the power of any move used over and over again. Massive damage will begin to add up. Leaf Blade will be used to back any Water types off.
    Last edited by Inchtall; 13th May 2011 at 10:44 PM.

Credit to Pika Pal Lyra

Quote Originally Posted by Tbird View Post
    Sewing Machine
    Sewaddle (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 132 Def / 196 SAtk / 180 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - SolarBeam / Energy Ball
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Air Slash / Bug Buzz
    Investing in Defense is inferior compared to investing in HP. Investing in HP means you can take more hits better, and those Defense EVs would go to waste against Pokémon like Gastly in LC.

Also, HP Fire isn't the only option here. You can use HP Fighting or Ground to better hit some Steels better, and Fighting and Ground have fantastic type coverage in LC.

Good try, though. You can also balance those Defense EVs into Special Defense to take hits from both ends of the spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by PMSandStormSBBZ View Post
    Investing in Defense is inferior compared to investing in HP. Investing in HP means you can take more hits better, and those Defense EVs would go to waste against Pokémon like Gastly in LC.

Also, HP Fire isn't the only option here. You can use HP Fighting or Ground to better hit some Steels better, and Fighting and Ground have fantastic type coverage in LC.

Good try, though. You can also balance those Defense EVs into Special Defense to take hits from both ends of the spectrum.
    EVs don't work the same way in LC. Splitting them wouldn't raise a stat point in both stats, putting the Leftover into HP would mean switching into SR only 4 times instead of the 5 times it can with its base HP, and as its going to be calm minding very quickly, the added bulk into defence means the likes of mach punch / quick attack are going to be hitting that little bit less.

EDIT:

Hidden power Fire in the sun = 105 Base power
    Hidden Power Fight / Ground = 70 Base Power

Fire is the better option, especially with mass ferroseed running around and no heatrans to worry about.
    Last edited by Tbird; 14th May 2011 at 12:59 AM.

Spoiler:- Threads You Should Check Out!:

For LC...I agree with tbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Inchtall View Post
    Swipe Mayhem Strategy:

252 Attack/252 Speed
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    Hold Item: Metronome

Sunny Day
    Fury Cutter
    Leaf Blade
    Hone Claws

Hone Claws will boost Levanny's already high Power, plus, boost accuracy. Fury Cutter does greater damage if used in succession. The Metronome boosts the power of any move used over and over again. Massive damage will begin to add up. Leaf Blade will be used to back any Water types off.
    Fury Cutter sucks. And why does it need more accuracy? Stick with swords dance. You won't get the chance to use Fury Cutter successfully, so use X-scissor. And the Metronome? Use life orb/focus sash.

Don't you also think Sunny Day isn't worth it? You should only stick with one stat boosting move. Besides, ninetales has drought. Give it a move for coverage.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Random break in my post-slowing.

Zach, his set was built for the never-used Fury Cutter-Metronome strategy. It SEEMS okay, but in reality, it always sucks.

Especially since the base power of it is reset if you switch moves.

Or switch out.

Or setup.

Or miss, which is what Hone Claws is for.

The set itself is okay, until you factor in the other pokemon.

Then most Pokemon have resistance.

Despite all this, Fury Cutter can eventually be hitting like the likes of Giga Impact, but it takes LOADS of turns.

Never worth it.

Thats why it was a gimmick set.
    -Or atleast I hope it was a gimmick set...
    Last edited by WeatherEffectRain; 15th May 2011 at 1:30 AM.

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

Let me give it a try.

Ability: Swarm or Chlorophyll
    Item: Shell Bell
    Nature: Adamant
    Moves:
    Leaf Blade
    Grass Whistle (if swarm)/Sunny Day (if chlorophyll)
    Swords Dance
    X-Scissor

EVs: 115 Att/ 100 Speed
    Last edited by 2D Thom; 14th May 2011 at 4:43 AM.
    Welcome to SPPf! Where everything's made up and the points don't matter! Yup, the points are like...any argument in this forum!

I have claimed Wooper!

Its a grass type use subseed

You're kidding, right?

It doesn't have Leech Seed D:
    Ignore, thanks.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but:

Partnered with Ninetails:

Leavanny w/Chlorophyll
    @Focus Sash
    Moves:
    - Hone Claws
    - Grasswhistle
    - Flail
    - X-scissor/Leaf Blade/Shadow Claw

- Hone Claws for Grasswhistle terror
    - Flail because it would get to 200bp when you factor in Focus Sash leaving you by a thread.
    - X-scissor/Leaf Blade/Shadow Claw for not leaving you Jellicent/Chandelure bait... Shadow Claw for Chandelure obviously...

So.. Set up Hone Claws, get hit and Focus Sash activates, Grasswhistle your foe, Flail the basterd or otherwise the last slot move.
    Last edited by Locormus; 14th May 2011 at 2:49 PM.
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

Keep Leavanny away from Volcarona. Volcarona can outspeed Leavanny and use any Fire-type move and OHKO it.
    I like Metagross, and I used to claim it!
    Spheal with it.

Spoiler:- 3DS Friend Code:

Quote Originally Posted by AmusedMilk View Post
    Keep Leavanny away from Volcarona. Volcarona can outspeed Leavanny and use any Fire-type move and OHKO it.
    Volcarona is flat-out going to be OU. Leavanny is flat-out going to be UU. Unless Leavanny receives some new toys in later games, it will not stand up to OU competitors.

Leavanny is gonna be NU probably.

Volcarona is flat-out going to be OU. Leavanny is flat-out going to be UU. Unless Leavanny receives some new toys in later games, it will not stand up to OU competitors.
    I'm not sure about Volcarona, though. After all, it has a x4 weakness to SR. It might be UU, BL, or even NU for this.

Anyway, I found out a few threads back we're assuming we're using it in OU.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast