Thread: Gen V OU: Sazzy says

Default Gen V OU: Sazzy says

I've been rating a lot of teams on here so I thought it only fair to put one of my own up for Critique. I have shamelessly copy and pasted this from another forum I frequent so if some of the format is off, my apologies.

Also the name of the team is a play on the term "Simon Says" I suck with puns and the team needed a name, so why the hell not

Sazzy Says

Back Story
    For a while people have been hyping up Hydreigon, and I felt that it was getting pretty unjust hype as I'd been able to beat most hydreigon that I'd faced and had little success using one of its sets. After enough persuasion from a good friend on my server, as well as from Wraith I figured I'd give it another attempt.
    In making the team I felt I needed to go for a more offencive approach, as I know that Hydreigon is known breaking stall and walls, with walls and stallers gone it would allow for a more offencive team to break down an opposing team. I also felt that getting as many immunities and resistance on team as possible would be a good idea, seeing as I rarely go full offence I wanted to know that I had people that could switch in most attacks that will be thrown.

Team

Lead

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Fire Blast
    - Stone Edge
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Heatran is technically my lead, but it isn't really. Due to the team preview of Gen V, the lead game has been all but ruined, there is no surprise to any team now, so having an azelf lead would just mean the opponent will put his Azelf counter in the first position and ruins your plan. Heatran makes for a good pokemon to feign as a lead, as it is known to run a lead set, however I rarely keep him in front once the battle starts (for the above reasons.)
    Anyway, his roll on the team is to switch in on one of his many resistance that will be thrown at other members on my team. He will happily come in on scizor trying to dispatch of my Gengar, he'll happy switch in on outrages and dragon claws thrown at sazandora. He'll also switch in opposing heatran trying to kill Ferrothorn. Generally speaking, I can go to him with little worries, he's a nice strong pokemon that does exactly what I want him to.
    I've opted for the choice scarf set as I want to get rid of Garchomp/ Salamence / Dragonite / Gliscor / Chandelure as quickly as possible. He will usually switch in on Gliscor's Fling / SD / protect/ Acrobat and get a quick clean OHKO as most people are generally running the slower versions of Heatran, so Gliscor will try to EQ as I HP ice. The same is true with Shandelure.
    The move set is pretty standard, with Stone edge for Volcarona who will usually force Sazandora / Ferrothorn to switch.

Fighting Weakness: Gengar / Gyardos
    Ground Weakness: Hydreigon / Gengar / Gyarados
    Water Weakness: Ferrothorn

Physical Sweeper

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 156 HP / 84 Atk / 100 Def / 168 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Taunt
    - Waterfall
    - Stone Edge

This is my physical sweeper of the team, and given the opportunity it can really unleash some hell. Its main use is to switch in on something like Blissey who will usually give this team some problems, set up on it and shut it down with taunt. If they are silly enough to stay in then it's basically GG for the opposition. His flying typing also brings me some great opportunities to switch in, as Garchomp/Mence love to EQ at heatran, Gyarados can switch in safely and get a DD up; if they then bring in Skarmory I taunt it and DD up until I have enough power to OHKO it with Waterfall. It's basically made to bait walls and use them as set up fodder. He has great synergy with Heatran as not only do their typings save eachother from scary moves, but heatran can quickly dispatch of Ferrothorn who pretty much walls this Gyara.
    With the given EVs its never 2HKOd by Scarfed garchomp's outrage, it outspeeds the whole unboosted metagame after a DD and the rest is just put into Atk. The bulk, I learnt, allows it to never be OHKO by a -1 Arcanine Wild Charge, also.

Electric Weakness: Ferrothorn
    Rock Weakness: Ferrothorn / Heatran

Wall

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Leech Seed
    - Thunder Wave
    - Power Whip

Ferrothorn is on team to remove of bulky waters that can really get pretty annoying to this team, he is also my primary go to guy if any strong attack is coming my way. It has absolutely fantastic bulk and is a general wall with in excess of 110 in both defences and a movepool made to make people cry.
    I will often use ferrothorn in the lead position if I see the opponent has a water type pokemon on team, as they will generally put the water type in first position to dispatch of my heatran.
    The moveset, again, is a very standard set. I have opted for Stealth rock over spikes as it A) hits every switch in and B) Ferrothorn doesn't get the luxury of an instant recovery move unlike Skarmory, and as such has a very limited window of set up. Thunderwave is cool as it cripples Infernape / Heatran switch ins to make them easier to dispose of later in the game. Powerwhip over Gyroball is to hit the aforementioned bulky waters.

Fire Weakness: Heatran / Gyarados / Hydreigon
    Fighting Weakness: Gengar / Gyarados

Stall Breaker / Scouter

Hydra (Hydreigon) (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Taunt
    - U-turn

This guy is the star of the show. Originally the team was built around him so that I could test him out and see how he works. Suffice to say I am very pleased with him now that I have gotten used to him. The beautiful thing about him is the check-mate position he puts teams into. Now lets say I switch him into Ferrothorn, Skarmory or an EQ locked pokémon. The former two I shut down with taunt, placing them into a damned position, and the latter is already in a bad spot, they now have to decide who they want to lose. Do they keep their wall in and hope that I don't OHKO? Or do they switch in someone else that could possibly get OHKOd by one of Hydreigon's STAB or coverage moves?
    This moveset is the basic wall breaking set, made to blow holes into everything it meets. Draco Meteor is basic STAB that will leave a dent in anything that isn't of the steel Persuasion, fire blast hits everything else sans heatran (whom my heatran removes) Taunt is for shutting down walls and my last spot U-Turn for scouting and getting out of there after I have taunted walls. A modest nature is used as a Timid nature doesn't really get the jump on anything much and the benefits a modest nature reaps is a lot to pass up on.

Dragon Weakness: Heatran / Ferrothorn
    Ice Weakness: Heatran

Spinner

Hitmontop (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 240 HP / 248 Atk / 20 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Fake Out
    - Mach Punch
    - Rapid Spin
    - Sucker Punch

Hitmontop is my teams Rapid Spinner, and a great one at that. I often use him in lead position, as he can take out Ttar leads. This is basically technitop from Gen IV, however in this generation it does seem to be working much better being able to take out and arguably more prevalent Tyranitar, Being able to 2HKO Terrakion with Fake Out + Mach Punch and being able to dispose of things like Bisharp, Starmie and Gengar. It's generally a great pokemon that does seem to do a number to the current fighting / dark weak metagame.
    I switch him in when ever I see someone like tyranitar / Terrakion... Anything that I can switch in on a Dark / Rock attack and and 2HKO basically.
    The EV spread is pretty basic, 240 HP means 11 turns of LO damage, fake out + mach punch are standard and sucker punch is to hit the ghost / Psychic switch ins. I believe the 20 EVs allow me to outrun CB scizor so I can 2HKO it after rocks. Though I can't rightly remember why I put the 20 in Speed.

Psychic Weakness: Ferrothorn / Hydreigon / Heatran
    Flying Weakness: Heatran

Meta-Checker

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Disable
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast

Gengar is currently, IMO, the epitome of anti meta. It can check damned near everything. Reuniclus that usually runs Psycho Shock/ Focus blast gets swiftly shut down when I disable its psycho Shock and start nailing it with shadow balls. Bulk up Conkeldur w/ Drain Punch / Mach Punch / Payback (Stone edge) gets nailed when I Disable its coverage move. Anything that's choice locked and switches in on me when I am behind a sub gets completely screwed over too. Sub / Disable also protects me from anyone trying to pursuit trap me, as I disable their pursuit THEN switch to an apt counter. He also helps to cover my fighting weakness that is shared by Hydra / Heatran / Ferrothorn and can generally dispatch of anyone throwing a fighting attack. He also shuts down most blissey and every chansey and pretty much gives me a free switch in. A lot of pokemon struggle to get passed this Gengar as it's just generally very good. He works in tandem with pretty much every member of my team and makes great use of Ferrothorn, as the leech seed support provided means that Gengar can be back to full health in no time. He likes that Heatran removes scizor and he's happy to see the back tyranitar; thanks Hitmontop.
    I run leftovers, as behind the sub I can generally get my health back as I am disabling folks, plus LO isn't practical as this gar is meant for Longevity not sweeping. Decided to just go for focus blast to hit switching in Excadrill and for better neutral coverage.

Ghost Weakness: Ferrorthorn / Heatran / Hydreigon
    Psychic Weakness: Ferrorthorn / Heatran / Hydreigon
    Dark Weakness: Hitmontop

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

So that's my team, I hope you enjoyed reading It's my first Gen V team that I've posted here I think, and it's still not without its holes, so if you spot one do let me know so I can rectify it

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Tbird; 15th May 2011 at 12:02 AM.

Nice use of Gengar. Overall seems like a great team. A few changes I would recommend:
    -Remove Taunt on Hydreigon; use U-turn and Dark Pulse. I would probably run Surf over Fire Blast as well in this case; just depends... Ferrothorns or Heatrans, which you need to get rid of more.
    -Earthquake>Stone Edge on Gyarados. Takes out Electrics and more (edit: why I put Landorus here IDK).
    -Consider switching Leech Seed with Gyro Ball on Ferro... Leech Seed helps w/ Bulky Waters, but... Gyro gives you a move you can efficiently use against more teams. Just a thought. Also, this would make him an anti-trick room Poke.
    Last edited by JASP01; 15th May 2011 at 9:15 PM.

Your demise...
    [IMG]http://i55.*******.com/35lyr0h.jpg[/IMG]
    ... Is near

Spoiler:- Clan:

Spoiler:- My Monotypes.Look here if you dare.VM me if you wish to challenge them on PO.:

or you can do power whip and gyro ball by getting rid of thunder wave, thereby letting you keep leech seed (which, i think, while reading gengar's description, is needed)

^(gotten from rayquaza is green)^

Nice team. Maybe give gengar hidden power fighting or focus blast as apposed to thunderbolt for perfect coverage.

White Fc:
    0261 0212 6233
    Name: NICK

I Need:
    Jolly DW Dratini with 31 IV in attack and speed (or flawless) EGGMOVES: Extreme Speed.
    Brave, Flawless (0 speed IV) DW Likckitung

CAN BE RNG'd or CLONED

Offering any 4th gen pokemon (flawless, EV'd)
    DISCLAIMER: I get my Pokemon from an RNGer and the pokemon MAY be cloned.

99% of the people on this forum know what a pokemon is. If you are part of this 99%, copy and paste this into your sig. - Started by dragonite0217

I will not be active for a while, on vacation.

yeah, you wont last too long against excadrill with the current set

^(gotten from rayquaza is green)^

I'd almost given up hope on getting a rate for this team, so thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by JASP01 View Post
    Nice use of Gengar. Overall seems like a great team. A few changes I would recommend:
    -Remove Taunt on Hydreigon; use U-turn and Dark Pulse. I would probably run Surf over Fire Blast as well in this case; just depends... Ferrothorns or Heatrans, which you need to get rid of more.
    Taunt is highly effective for everyone running these damed Shinbora (I think that's what they're called) and stall in general. The set I'm running is for breaking stall and nothing more. The current moveset does that wonderfully.
    -Earthquake>Stone Edge on Gyarados. Takes out Landorus, Electrics, and more.
    Landorus is flying, thus immune to EQ. Electrics can't outspeed me, anyway and most are pretty frail and will fall to a boosted waterfall / Stone edge. This set means that I'm not walled by other gyarados / Salamence. I did however used to run Waterfall / Ice Fang / Earthquake. But being Phazed is a pain in the ***.
    -Consider switching Leech Seed with Gyro Ball on Ferro... Leech Seed helps w/ Bulky Waters, but... Gyro gives you a move you can efficiently use against more teams. Just a thought. Also, this would make him an anti-trick room Poke.
    The idea's not to actually hurt anyone, just aid in the set up of the team so the moves listed are essential. If I lack Thunder wave, I'm gunna get screwed by fast switch ins / mence. If I lack Seed I lose what little Longevity I can get out of the team and there's no way I can sack SR or Powerwhip.

Thanks for the suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonite0217 View Post
    Nice team. Maybe give gengar hidden power fighting or focus blast as apposed to thunderbolt for perfect coverage.
    I will do this, however.

Spoiler:- Threads You Should Check Out!:

I wanted to try a Gengar like this.

Gengar @ Life Orb
    Levitate
    252 Spd/252 SAtk/4 SDef
    Timid
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Psyshock
    - Thunderbolt
    Notice that there is no Sub/Scarf/Specs/Pain Split? Thats to suprise the opponent. When a Fighting type comes in to KO Hydreigon switch into Gengar and use Psyshock to KO it. I don't think any other Gengar runs Psyshock so it should work.
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself...where the heck is the ceiling?
    -Anonymous

DW Females:

Wanted: UT Jolly/Timid Uxie. Preferably Timid.
    DW Female Tyrogue or DW Jolly Tyrogue.

My Current Team: (I like to make lots.)

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=519126

Quote Originally Posted by Tbird View Post
    I've been rating a lot of teams on here so I thought it only fair to put one of my own up for Critique. I have shamelessly copy and pasted this from another forum I frequent so if some of the format is off, my apologies.

Also the name of the team is a play on the term "Simon Says" I suck with puns and the team needed a name, so why the hell not

Sazzy Says

Back Story
    For a while people have been hyping up Hydreigon, and I felt that it was getting pretty unjust hype as I'd been able to beat most hydreigon that I'd faced and had little success using one of its sets. After enough persuasion from a good friend on my server, as well as from Wraith I figured I'd give it another attempt.
    In making the team I felt I needed to go for a more offencive approach, as I know that Hydreigon is known breaking stall and walls, with walls and stallers gone it would allow for a more offencive team to break down an opposing team. I also felt that getting as many immunities and resistance on team as possible would be a good idea, seeing as I rarely go full offence I wanted to know that I had people that could switch in most attacks that will be thrown.

Team

Lead

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Fire Blast
    - Stone Edge
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

I was going to say something about stone edge being physical, but this looks like a special set and i realized there aren't many special based rock moves.

Heatran is technically my lead, but it isn't really. Due to the team preview of Gen V, the lead game has been all but ruined, there is no surprise to any team now, so having an azelf lead would just mean the opponent will put his Azelf counter in the first position and ruins your plan. Heatran makes for a good pokemon to feign as a lead, as it is known to run a lead set, however I rarely keep him in front once the battle starts (for the above reasons.)
    Anyway, his roll on the team is to switch in on one of his many resistance that will be thrown at other members on my team. He will happily come in on scizor trying to dispatch of my Gengar, he'll happy switch in on outrages and dragon claws thrown at sazandora. He'll also switch in opposing heatran trying to kill Ferrothorn. Generally speaking, I can go to him with little worries, he's a nice strong pokemon that does exactly what I want him to.
    I've opted for the choice scarf set as I want to get rid of Garchomp/ Salamence / Dragonite / Gliscor / Chandelure as quickly as possible. He will usually switch in on Gliscor's Fling / SD / protect/ Acrobat and get a quick clean OHKO as most people are generally running the slower versions of Heatran, so Gliscor will try to EQ as I HP ice. The same is true with Shandelure.
    The move set is pretty standard, with Stone edge for Volcarona who will usually force Sazandora / Ferrothorn to switch.

Fighting Weakness: Gengar / Gyardos
    Ground Weakness: Hydreigon / Gengar / Gyarados
    Water Weakness: Ferrothorn

Physical Sweeper

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 156 HP / 84 Atk / 100 Def / 168 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Taunt
    - Waterfall
    - Stone Edge

Nothing to say here.

This is my physical sweeper of the team, and given the opportunity it can really unleash some hell. Its main use is to switch in on something like Blissey who will usually give this team some problems, set up on it and shut it down with taunt. If they are silly enough to stay in then it's basically GG for the opposition. His flying typing also brings me some great opportunities to switch in, as Garchomp/Mence love to EQ at heatran, Gyarados can switch in safely and get a DD up; if they then bring in Skarmory I taunt it and DD up until I have enough power to OHKO it with Waterfall. It's basically made to bait walls and use them as set up fodder. He has great synergy with Heatran as not only do their typings save eachother from scary moves, but heatran can quickly dispatch of Ferrothorn who pretty much walls this Gyara.
    With the given EVs its never 2HKOd by Scarfed garchomp's outrage, it outspeeds the whole unboosted metagame after a DD and the rest is just put into Atk. The bulk, I learnt, allows it to never be OHKO by a -1 Arcanine Wild Charge, also.

Electric Weakness: Ferrothorn
    Rock Weakness: Ferrothorn / Heatran

Wall

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Leech Seed
    - Thunder Wave
    - Power Whip

Please forgive me as this set is so good i might just have to steal it.

Ferrothorn is on team to remove of bulky waters that can really get pretty annoying to this team, he is also my primary go to guy if any strong attack is coming my way. It has absolutely fantastic bulk and is a general wall with in excess of 110 in both defences and a movepool made to make people cry.
    I will often use ferrothorn in the lead position if I see the opponent has a water type pokemon on team, as they will generally put the water type in first position to dispatch of my heatran.
    The moveset, again, is a very standard set. I have opted for Stealth rock over spikes as it A) hits every switch in and B) Ferrothorn doesn't get the luxury of an instant recovery move unlike Skarmory, and as such has a very limited window of set up. Thunderwave is cool as it cripples Infernape / Heatran switch ins to make them easier to dispose of later in the game. Powerwhip over Gyroball is to hit the aforementioned bulky waters.

Fire Weakness: Heatran / Gyarados / Hydreigon

Stall Breaker / Scouter

Hydra (Hydreigon) (M) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Taunt
    - U-turn

Eh, one thing to say. U-turn. It's an physical attack move. You are taking advantage of hydra's godly special attack. It would be fine if the nature didn't cut attack. Oh, and breed dark pulse on him. Remove taunt.

This guy is the star of the show. Originally the team was built around him so that I could test him out and see how he works. Suffice to say I am very pleased with him now that I have gotten used to him. The beautiful thing about him is the check-mate position he puts teams into. Now lets say I switch him into Ferrothorn, Skarmory or an EQ locked pokémon. The former two I shut down with taunt, placing them into a damned position, and the latter is already in a bad spot, they now have to decide who they want to lose. Do they keep their wall in and hope that I don't OHKO? Or do they switch in someone else that could possibly get OHKOd by one of Hydreigon's STAB or coverage moves?
    This moveset is the basic wall breaking set, made to blow holes into everything it meets. Draco Meteor is basic STAB that will leave a dent in anything that isn't of the steel Persuasion, fire blast hits everything else sans heatran (whom my heatran removes) Taunt is for shutting down walls and my last spot U-Turn for scouting and getting out of there after I have taunted walls. A modest nature is used as a Timid nature doesn't really get the jump on anything much and the benefits a modest nature reaps is a lot to pass up on.

Dragon Weakness: Heatran / Ferrothorn
    Ice Weakness: Heatran

Spinner

Hitmontop (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 240 HP / 248 Atk / 20 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Fake Out
    - Mach Punch
    - Rapid Spin
    - Sucker Punch
    Oh, Hitmontop, how your owner made such a good set.
    Hitmontop is my teams Rapid Spinner, and a great one at that. I often use him in lead position, as he can take out Ttar leads. This is basically technitop from Gen IV, however in this generation it does seem to be working much better being able to take out and arguably more prevalent Tyranitar, Being able to 2HKO Terrakion with Fake Out + Mach Punch and being able to dispose of things like Bisharp, Starmie and Gengar. It's generally a great pokemon that does seem to do a number to the current fighting / dark weak metagame.
    I switch him in when ever I see someone like tyranitar / Terrakion... Anything that I can switch in on a Dark / Rock attack and and 2HKO basically.
    The EV spread is pretty basic, 240 HP means 11 turns of LO damage, fake out + mach punch are standard and sucker punch is to hit the ghost / Psychic switch ins. I believe the 20 EVs allow me to outrun CB scizor so I can 2HKO it after rocks. Though I can't rightly remember why I put the 20 in Speed.

Psychic Weakness: Ferrothorn / Hydreigon / Heatran
    Flying Weakness: Heatran

Meta-Checker

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Disable
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast

Nothing to say here, either.

Gengar is currently, IMO, the epitome of anti meta. It can check damned near everything. Reuniclus that usually runs Psycho Shock/ Focus blast gets swiftly shut down when I disable its psycho Shock and start nailing it with shadow balls. Bulk up Conkeldur w/ Drain Punch / Mach Punch / Payback (Stone edge) gets nailed when I Disable its coverage move. Anything that's choice locked and switches in on me when I am behind a sub gets completely screwed over too. Sub / Disable also protects me from anyone trying to pursuit trap me, as I disable their pursuit THEN switch to an apt counter. He also helps to cover my fighting weakness that is shared by Hydra / Heatran / Ferrothorn and can generally dispatch of anyone throwing a fighting attack. He also shuts down most blissey and every chansey and pretty much gives me a free switch in. A lot of pokemon struggle to get passed this Gengar as it's just generally very good. He works in tandem with pretty much every member of my team and makes great use of Ferrothorn, as the leech seed support provided means that Gengar can be back to full health in no time. He likes that Heatran removes scizor and he's happy to see the back tyranitar; thanks Hitmontop.
    I run leftovers, as behind the sub I can generally get my health back as I am disabling folks, plus LO isn't practical as this gar is meant for Longevity not sweeping. Decided to just go for focus blast to hit switching in Excadrill and for better neutral coverage.

Ghost Weakness: Ferrorthorn / Heatran / Hydreigon
    Psychic Weakness: Ferrorthorn / Heatran / Hydreigon
    Dark Weakness: Hitmontop

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

So that's my team, I hope you enjoyed reading It's my first Gen V team that I've posted here I think, and it's still not without its holes, so if you spot one do let me know so I can rectify it

Thanks for reading!
    __________________________________________________ _______________

My thoughts are in bold. I give it an A.