Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Revived Prehistory Club

Default The Revived Prehistory Club

Lo and behold the prehistory club! Here you can discuss anything to do with prehistory, meaning you can talk about prehistoric plants, animals and even islands (yes, there are some places that used to be islands and some that turned into islands), as well as games, movies and documentaries involving such things. Oh, and of course, prehistoric Pokémon and Pokémon based on prehistoric animals or plants. The original version here having been inactive for about a year, I decided to revive the club, always having wanted to join it but never getting the chance.

Spoiler:- RULES:

Spoiler:- MEMBERS:

Spoiler:- FAQ:

Spoiler:- POSSIBLE EVENTS:

NEWS

Birds found with "dinosaur bones" in their bodies 22/1/2015

A new Cerotopsidae discovered 22/1/2015

Michigen men find a mastodon in their backyard 16/1/2015

Jurassic World reveals Indominus rex 16/1/2015

Fossil Fighters Frontier revealed to be released for March 20 16/1/2015

A new marine retile species discovered in Scotland 14/1/2015

Theories that the famous theory of the dinosaur's death may be just a local theory 13/1/2015

A group of Utahraptor found in a large stone in "Death Trap" 7/1/2015

Rougue dino turns out to be a hippo 28/12/2014

Sign-Up form:
    Name:
    Why do you want to join?:

Yup, it's that simple.

First topic: What do you think of the discovery of the juvenile Spinosaurus specimen found in Morocco?
    Last edited by TheCharredDragon; 29th January 2015 at 4:33 AM.
    Credit to Astral Shadow fot button and Brutaka for banner.

"Two groups, one game, it was all meant for fun, but it all goes wrong. This is no ordinary dungeon, it's Perception."

Are you a fellow Fossil Fighter? Try our forum! I'm sure there are other Fossil Fighter fans in it.
    You interested in dinosaurs or prehistory? Try our club!
    I have claimed the awesome draco dino HAXORUS!
    Linking my squad at my own risk.

Name: Fossildude747
    Why do you want to join?: I love prehistory, wanna be a paleontologist, and you invited me to be co leader

EDIT:

What do you think of the discovery of the Spinosaurus specimen found in Morocco?

Didn't hear of I (I really gotta try to hear digs more) so looked it up and apparently they found it in a cave or something, not sure what I think of it xD
    Last edited by Fossildude747; 11th January 2015 at 1:41 PM.

Friend code: 2165-6624-1567
    I claimed Bastiodon!

Heh, all right. You're in. But I think I broke the rules a bit. X/

EDIT: So you do you know of why it's a break through? For me, at least?
    Last edited by TheCharredDragon; 11th January 2015 at 2:01 PM.

"Two groups, one game, it was all meant for fun, but it all goes wrong. This is no ordinary dungeon, it's Perception."

Are you a fellow Fossil Fighter? Try our forum! I'm sure there are other Fossil Fighter fans in it.

No, I am not sure why it's a break through, I should try to stay updated on digs, but still all I know is it was in a cave.

Where do you get the info about it anyways to keep you updated on digs, is there a website for it, that would be cool.

I claimed Bastiodon!

It's a breakthrough because the dpecimen has more complete legs, showing that Spinosaurus is actually...a quadruped, which explains why its arms were muscular and another reason why it had a sail.

Actually, I get it from my brother, who found out through the Transformers 4 movie wikia who then researched into it.

Here's a skeletal model of the specimen swimming: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...s_swimming.jpg

Wow that is strange, I always thought it was more upright, everyone did it seems. When did this happen?

I have a little theory, just for fun, I think spino was related to dimetrodon in a way, I mean it's got the sail and now it's quadruped too, but doesn't spino primarily eat fish unlike dimetrodon? Then again they are different animals, but we know spinosaurus can't be a dimetrodon, it's jaws are different, it's a fish eater and it probably has other different bones (plus it's legs are located under it like all dinosaurs unlike dimetrodon which stretch to the side or something like that I heard) Then again I can't be for sure without actually looking at the bones in person to point out more similarities and differences. This is interesting.

Hope more people join the club soon.

I claimed Bastiodon!

Okay, I'll bite

Name: VampirateMace
    Why do you want to join?: Because Paleontology is one of the many nerdy things that interest me, and has since I was a child. I still have a ton of plastic dinosaurs (which my nephews love), and most of them are stegosauruses, as stegosaurs were/are my favorite group of dinosaurs.

It's why my paranormal focused blog is called Problematica (which is sort of a throwaway category for fossils that aren't identifiable and any other type of creature/plant). I've been on a couple of amateur group digs for marine/river fossils. Most the fossils that can be found around here are marine fossils from the Miocene.

I missed hearing about the Spinosaurus discovery as well. That's cool. The shorter limbs make more sense for it as a swimming fish-eater. I know it looks kind of similar to Dimetrodon, but Dimetrodon were much more closely related to mammals.
    Blog: Problematic Paranormal Files | Twitter: @CleverKraken

Fact of the Day: The Mountain Lion (Cougar, Puma) is more closely related to small cats, then any other 'lion'.

Newest RPG: Adventure Time - The Inconvenient Dungeon

@Fossildude747

A few months after Transformers 4: Age of Extinction was released.

Technically, very, very, very distantly related, seeing as their ancestors came from the same animal. But that was millions and millions of years ago. Yes, it's theorised that Spinosaurus eats fish, since a sawfish spine was found in the tooth of one, and the way its head and teeth are designed. Yes, Dimetrodon had a splayed out leg design, while Spinosaurus's legs aren't. Besides, like VampirateMace said, Dimetrodon was more closely related to today's mammals than Spinosaurus.

@VampirateMace

This is (somewhat of) a surprise. Okay, you're in.

Amateur fossil digs? Well... I have a mostly negarive view from hearing that amateurs digging is a bad idea as it could lead to accidently destroying an important and or new discovery.

Interesting... I thought more people would know about it seeing as it's a bit of a breakthrough.

EDIT: I've cganged the topic somewhat as I found out that it wasn't a discovery but rather a published finding after examining Spinisaurus morrocus more.
    Last edited by TheCharredDragon; 12th January 2015 at 1:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VampirateMace View Post
    Okay, I'll bite

Name: VampirateMace
    Why do you want to join?: Because Paleontology is one of the many nerdy things that interest me, and has since I was a child. I still have a ton of plastic dinosaurs (which my nephews love), and most of them are stegosauruses, as stegosaurs were/are my favorite group of dinosaurs.

It's why my paranormal focused blog is called Problematica (which is sort of a throwaway category for fossils that aren't identifiable and any other type of creature/plant). I've been on a couple of amateur group digs for marine/river fossils. Most the fossils that can be found around here are marine fossils from the Miocene.

I missed hearing about the Spinosaurus discovery as well. That's cool. The shorter limbs make more sense for it as a swimming fish-eater. I know it looks kind of similar to Dimetrodon, but Dimetrodon were much more closely related to mammals.
    Welcome to the club!

I am fully aware that dimetrodon is more closely related to mammals, it is a mammal-like reptile, but I am just saying there is a possibility the two are related. No not closely related, probably very very very distantly related if they even are. I am kind of in doubt with the theory myself, I just thought of it for fun lol.

It always annoys me when people mistake dimetrodon for a dinosaur though :P

2nd Topic: Anyways, what are your favorite fossil pokemon guys, and your favorite real world prehistoric animal? For fossil pokemon it's bastiodon, but as of real world I just don't know lol, I like a lot of them. Some that I enjoy are dimetrodon, troodon, and I always thought trilobites were cool little critters, just a few of my favorites, the whole list would be too long xD We can still debate about the 1st question so don't take this as dropping the subject lol.

I claimed Bastiodon!

Anyways, what are your favorite fossil pokemon guys, and your favorite real world prehistoric animal?

My favorites of fossil Pokémon are tied between Tyrantrum, Aerodactly, Armaldo and Rampardos. Tyrantrum mostly because of its typing, its design aaaand the aborable pre-evolution Chigorasu, more commonly known as Tyrunt. Aerodactyl because of its draconic appearance and its design. Also 'cause of fond memories. Armaldo since I liked its design, I also liked the personality of Armaldo in Explorers of Sky. Another reason was because I liked it over Cradily and it led to me getting more fond of it. I like Rampardos for the reasons as Armaldo, but also 'cause I like Pachycephelasaurus, so it was an instance like. XD

As for real life prehistoric animals... Well, I don't have any real number one. But I do like, as said already, Pachycephelasaurids, Spinosauridae, and raptors in general.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCharredDragon View Post
    Amateur fossil digs? Well... I have a mostly negarive view from hearing that amateurs digging is a bad idea as it could lead to accidently destroying an important and or new discovery.
    It's true they can be destructive, especially when the person in question doesn't know what they are doing, or is careless about it (during excavation it's important to decide if you can remove the fossil without damaging it, note the date, location, and geological layer - otherwise you destroy the fossil's scientific value). In fact one of the quarries I went to, is now illegal to dig in. But many amateurs are lead on digs by responsible paleontologists (a lot of professionals enlist amateurs to do the actual digging, just like a lot of archeologists hire locals to do the preliminary digging), and digging in a more recent era site is one of the best ways to introduce kids to paleontology (as science actually has a sort of cut-off date, for how important fossils are. Quantity and location matters too, which is why you can buy shark teeth for pretty cheap, there's a ton of them, and they wash up on beaches where you have no way of knowing what layer they were in). Or sometimes there's rules in place (for example, in Fossil Oregon you're instructed to report finding any vertebrates in the ancient riverbed) to help minimize that. Many times it's the people without degrees that make the most interesting discoveries, either through sheer luck or study.

Topic 2:
    As I already mentioned, my favorite dinos were stegosaurs. As for pokemon, I'm not really sure, I'll have to think about that. For other prehistoric animals, I haven't really decided a favorite there either; I like mastodons, trilobites, and saber toothed things. . . and ammonites are pretty cool.

Fact of the Day: The Mountain Lion (Cougar, Puma) is more closely related to small cats, then any other 'lion'.

@VampirateMace

Hmm... I see... Thanks for sharing that. It was informative and it helped clear any misconceptions on amateurs. Especially my views. XP

Name: Pink Harzard
    Why do you want to join?: I love history and ancient stuff. And this looks a pretty interesting place to discuss ancient nature.

Anyways, what are your favourite fossil pokemon guys, and your favourite real world prehistoric animal?

In the first gens it would be Aerodactyl, But I've grown to like Lileep. I've seen a sea lily fossil not long ago and I instantly thought about Lileep xD Armaldo comes at second place due to its design. (and blame PMD 2 for that.)

Ammonites are my fave fossils. I love the spiral shape. I also have a little story about a certain fossil I always carry with me. A few years ago, I bought two halve ammonite fossils that fit perfectly together. One halve, I gave to my boyfriend. We both carry our halves in our wallet for years now. So yeah, that makes ammonites my big favourite.
    Other creatures I love are Triceratops and the raptor with the hooked claw on its feet. (I forgot the name of that one ><)
    Claimed Scyther

PASBL explained
    Prologue and chapter one posted. Draft chapter two in production

Banner, Button and Profile Picture made by Astral Shadow. Thanks a lot ^^

Woah! I didn't expect to see you here Pink. XD You're in nonetheless!

Oh, to answer your question, almost all of those considered raptors have the sickle foot. XP (Deinonychus, Velociraptor (the real one, not the Jurassic Park one), Utahraptor, etc.)

Also, I find your story nice and interesting. I don't have any fossils with me. X/ Well... Except maybe fossil corals. XP

It was Deinonychus. I remember now. Those claws look like butcher hooks.
    Claimed Scyther

PASBL explained

Ah, all right. Yeah, its sickle claws do look like 'em.

By the ways, anyone up for links to news in the OP? I'm thinking of adding one in a bit.

A museum in the Netherlands gets a real T-Rex in an exhibition. I have a link to the article, but sadly the website is only in Dutch. If needed I can provide translation (for most of us know the funny mistakes Google Translate makes)
    Claimed Scyther

PASBL explained

The Charred Dragon: It's kind of a mixed pot of good and bad. At the museum were I volunteer, I've seen some of the possible destruction first hand. We have a pair of dinosaur neck vertebra that we let visitors handle, mainly because they have no scientific value. They were donated by a private collector, who got them from an amateur who didn't bother to keep track of anything about them (era, layer, location, possible species).

I don't usually carry any fossils with me, though occasionally I may take a sturdier one somewhere if it's relevant (the ones in sandstone tend to be too delicate), and I have a necklace with a piece of mammoth ivory that I wear sometimes. Most of them are in a plastic organizer on the top shelf of my closet (it's not good to constantly expose them to light), the boxes are labeled and reffed to index cards that have everything I know about that fossil on them.

It's always cool when a local museum has real dinosaur fossils in (though there's benefits to replicas as well, you get to see more detail because the metals on the inside). Google translator is a lot better then it used to be, that translated pretty cleanly. We had a the T-Rex Sampson (aka Z-Rex) in, and her head was too heavy to mount, so it was in a box and a lighter replica was on the skeleton (yes, Sampson is believed to have been a girl).

Yeah, it would be nice to have some current news in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Harzard View Post
    Name: Pink Harzard
    Why do you want to join?: I love history and ancient stuff. And this looks a pretty interesting place to discuss ancient nature.

Anyways, what are your favourite fossil pokemon guys, and your favourite real world prehistoric animal?

In the first gens it would be Aerodactyl, But I've grown to like Lileep. I've seen a sea lily fossil not long ago and I instantly thought about Lileep xD Armaldo comes at second place due to its design. (and blame PMD 2 for that.)

Ammonites are my fave fossils. I love the spiral shape. I also have a little story about a certain fossil I always carry with me. A few years ago, I bought two halve ammonite fossils that fit perfectly together. One halve, I gave to my boyfriend. We both carry our halves in our wallet for years now. So yeah, that makes ammonites my big favourite.
    Other creatures I love are Triceratops and the raptor with the hooked claw on its feet. (I forgot the name of that one ><)
    Quote Originally Posted by VampirateMace View Post
    The Charred Dragon: It's kind of a mixed pot of good and bad. At the museum were I volunteer, I've seen some of the possible destruction first hand. We have a pair of dinosaur neck vertebra that we let visitors handle, mainly because they have no scientific value. They were donated by a private collector, who got them from an amateur who didn't bother to keep track of anything about them (era, layer, location, possible species).

I don't usually carry any fossils with me, though occasionally I may take a sturdier one somewhere if it's relevant (the ones in sandstone tend to be too delicate), and I have a necklace with a piece of mammoth ivory that I wear sometimes. Most of them are in a plastic organizer on the top shelf of my closet (it's not good to constantly expose them to light), the boxes are labeled and reffed to index cards that have everything I know about that fossil on them.

It's always cool when a local museum has real dinosaur fossils in (though there's benefits to replicas as well, you get to see more detail because the metals on the inside). Google translator is a lot better then it used to be, that translated pretty cleanly. We had a the T-Rex Sampson (aka Z-Rex) in, and her head was too heavy to mount, so it was in a box and a lighter replica was on the skeleton (yes, Sampson is believed to have been a girl).

Yeah, it would be nice to have some current news in the OP.
    Wow, you guys are lucky to have fossils, I alays wanted to have at least one to show my love for paleontology, probably wouldn't carry it around though.

I never heard of T-rex Sampson, I will look it up, I heard of T-rex Sue for sure though.

I agree current news could really help in the OP, since I am not good at knowing whether or not news I look up is current or not most of the time, and I don't always have time to surf on google for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Harzard View Post
    A museum in the Netherlands gets a real T-Rex in an exhibition. I have a link to the article, but sadly the website is only in Dutch. If needed I can provide translation (for most of us know the funny mistakes Google Translate makes)
    I'd actually like a translation, since I don't have Google Translate, feel free to pm me translation.
    Last edited by Fossildude747; 13th January 2015 at 10:30 PM.

I claimed Bastiodon!

@VampirateMace

Yeah. From what you say, it is very much a double-edged sword. But man, there are not that noteworthy fossils in here in the Philippines. XP

@Fossildude747

Did a search, and apparently Samson (Z-rex) supposedly has a complete and undistorted skull. Which is unbelievable as it's hard enough for anything to fossilize, but completely untouched? It must have been buried before any scavengers could get it.

All right. I'll be adding the news section soon. As soon as I prepare links and such.

@VampirateMace

Yeah. From what you say, it is very much a double-edged sword. But man, there are not that noteworthy fossils in here in the Philippines. XP

@Fossildude747

Did a search, and apparently Samson (Z-rex) supposedly has a complete and undistorted skull. Which is unbelievable as it's hard enough for anything to fossilize, but completely untouched? It must have been buried before any scavengers could get it.

All right. I'll be adding the news section soon. As soon as I prepare links and such.
    Wow, complete and untouched skull is simply unbelievable. I will have to look into that later.

Meanwhile anybody have ideas for remembering the genus and such of prehistoric animals? I kind of want to know the whole family tree of dinosaurs, but couldn't find any noon confusing trees on google, I at least want to know all the genus, these are the spots I struggle with when it comes to prehistory. When learning new things in prehistory I like to start with dinosaurs as I was interested in them before the whole prehistory scene, and then I like to branch out from that to the times before and after. So any help on this? I'd also like to remember prehistoric creature's scientific names. Because I feel like in paleontology they call them by scientific name most likely, and I need to learn as much as I can, I really want to be a paleontologist someday, but jobs are rare these days it seems.

Topic 3: What do you feel is most underrated in prehistory? Most overrated?

As for me I think that prehistoric plants are underrated, and the small mammals during the Mesozoic era since people seem to forget they are there due to the dinosaurs. I recently gained an interest in learning more about these small mammals. As for the plants, I even ignore them often, however now that I think of it I may research that a bit and try to learn about plants, plants can be cool and interesting. As for overrated, I am sure everyone says dinosaurs, I say dinosaurs, but also saber toothed cats and mammoths. For one thing they are the only prehistoric animals an average person knows (besides things like sharks that are still alive today) and where did saber tooth tiger ever come from? Somebody in my class said something about a saber tooth tiger so I say it's a saber tooth cat and he says no it's tiger, seriously who came up with the tiger part, it's misleading so many people these days, and when people are inaccurate with these things it annoys me, even if I know they can't help it. Sorry for longer answer, what about you guys?
    Last edited by Fossildude747; 14th January 2015 at 1:41 AM.

I claimed Bastiodon!

@Fossildude747

I think I'll try making a non-confusing family tree later, but right now, the genera that I can remember off the top of my head are Tyrannosaurus, Prognathodon, Spinosaurus, Dimetrodon, Troodon, Allosaurus, basically the first parts of the scientific name (usually) is the hrnus of the slecies. Like there's Allosaurus and the more famous Allosaurus fragillis.

What do you think is the most underrated in prehistory? Most overrated?

It's obvious for both. In the former case, prehistoric plants and Mesozoic mammals. I admit I dismiss plants, but I've still yet to find one that interests me enough for me to look into more plants. Same with mammals. In the latter case, I agree it's dinosaurs. But that doesn't mean I'll stop liking them. XP More specifically the Tyrannosaurus genera. There are even more scary things like Gorgonopsin.

Added in the news section in the OP, by the ways.

@Fossildude747

I think I'll try making a non-confusing family tree later, but right now, the genera that I can remember off the top of my head are Tyrannosaurus, Prognathodon, Spinosaurus, Dimetrodon, Troodon, Allosaurus, basically the first parts of the scientific name (usually) is the hrnus of the slecies. Like there's Allosaurus and the more famous Allosaurus fragillis.

What do you think is the most underrated in prehistory? Most overrated?

It's obvious for both. In the former case, prehistoric plants and Mesozoic mammals. I admit I dismiss plants, but I've still yet to find one that interests me enough for me to look into more plants. Same with mammals. In the latter case, I agree it's dinosaurs. But that doesn't mean I'll stop liking them. XP More specifically the Tyrannosaurus genera. There are even more scary things like Gorgonopsin.

Added in the news section in the OP, by the ways.
    Wait, Tyrannosaurus is a species, not a genus if that's what you ment by genera. So I am a bit confused there.

As for the topic, I think Jurassic mammals are fascinating, even though I don't know much about them (and I barely even know about cretaceous and Triassic mammals, might look into them too. I am sure I Triassic mammals were a bit bigger since dinos were just appearing) I just find it amazing the mammals survived through the Jurassic period with giant sauropods stomping around and such.

Speaking of sauropods, that's a genus right? The casses I know are ceratopsions, sauropods and theropods that I can name off my head right now, these are classes right? I am still confused what Tyrannosaurs, stegosaurs, ankylosaurs, therizinosaurs ect. fall into, are those genus? I am pretty sure that they are the split ups of ceratopsions, sauropods, theropods and all those but still very confused what animal category these fall into?

For now I am thinking that the first example is classes and second genus correct? I am familiar with the animal kingdom categories themselves, we went over that a lot last year but it's just I don't know which categories things like this fall into.
    Last edited by Fossildude747; 14th January 2015 at 2:38 AM.

I claimed Bastiodon!

No, Tyrannosaurus rex is a species. Tyrannosaurus is a genera. It's jist that people usually refer Tyrannosaurus rex as Tyrannosaurus as a species, even though it's a genera. Like how Dimetrodon angelensis (the one from Walking with Monsters documentary) is refered to as Dimentrodon in the show. While Tyrannosaurids is a family that has things like Alioramus along with T. rex in it.

No, Tyrannosaurus rex is a species. Tyrannosaurus is a genera. It's jist that people usually refer Tyrannosaurus rex as Tyrannosaurus as a species, even though it's a genera. Like how Dimetrodon angelensis (the one from Walking with Monsters documentary) is refered to as Dimentrodon in the show. While Tyrannosaurids is a family that has things like Alioramus along with T. rex in it.
    Alright, try to make me a family tree when you can. I really like the Walking with Monsters documentary btw

So Tyrannosaurus rex is a scientific name all along? The only thing I know about scientific names atm is that only the first letter is capitalized while the rest even in the second word are lower case and they are latin.

I claimed Bastiodon!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast