Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Misty Club

Did maturity made Misty to you worse or better as character, and why?
    To me it made her feel worse as a character because it felt like she lost most of her personality and it was more noticeable that she was only there to be a background character for most of the time. She really only started getting some focus in Master Quest though, which made her slightly better since she was more active then.
    Owner of the Dawn/Hikari Fanclub v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

I found this beautiful fan art of Misty and I thought I should share it with you guys!

Source: http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=3542036

First of all, I have to say...I think the maturity aspect toned Misty down far too much.

Also, wow that is a beautiful rendition of Misty! Wow. (^o^)
    Ash+Misty Forever!

Huh? of course not. It's called personality growth, which I don't mind of course. As the series continues, she gradually matures, but it doesn't take away from her charm, imo.

Personally I didn't like the maturity too, she lost all of her, well most of her temper, she doesn't seem aggressive or angry, and she speaks softly, and what I did like about Misty was her quick temper..
    Crazy Shipper|Misty, May, and Drew|Anime Fangirl

Quote Originally Posted by Pokeshipper9000 View Post
    Personally I didn't like the maturity too, she lost all of her, well most of her temper, she doesn't seem aggressive or angry, and she speaks softly, and what I did like about Misty was her quick temper..
    Eh, might I join this club? I really like Misty, she's among my favorites for everything, design, personality. Her maturity did make her lose her signature temper, but I think that's supposed to show that she doesn't get angry about every little thing. Also, I like her quick temper, it reminds of my mom and I.

To besho, wow! That's a really nice artwork of Misty you found there!

To DarkLucarioADV: You are accepted to join. Hope you will have lot of fun and enjoy in your stay here.

On side note im sorry to say guys but i disagree well with majority in here on notion how maturity made "Misty lose her character"because temper was only one of many traits inherent to her personality which was only less used never disappearing: She still showed plenty of aggresive and fiery side against Ash and Brock, several characters she met in Johto or TR(especially in clashes vs Jessie or Meowth), Daisy or Psyduck in chronicles, as well Hanson from Hoenn being all fired up and full of brash demeanor. As well being sarcastic, feminine, playful, quirky and hotheaded not letting others to put her down containing value as character in more grown up, experuienced way.

Which was character development, something i appreciated preventing stagntion and Misty turning into flanderized overuse of gags repeated so much until viewer gets sick of it.
    But if others feel different, so be it.

To answer my own question:

Personally i didn't saw Misty as less enjoyable when she stopped being so temperament and impulsive dropping on first ball like she did in early Kanto days though. Misty was still fiery from what i recall in Johto arguing with Ash and others(like Andreas, Team Rocket, Butch and Cassidy,, Egan, etc)when annoyed, but you could say instead of so much constant fighting she used more of her snarky side bringing lighthearted humor still teasing Ash rather frequently or coming up into quarrels with him trying to outsmart themselves (like when Ash made fun of her with Larvitar shying away or when she joked about his lack of knowledge over terms like Shihan from dojo, about his enormous appetite or in goofing around underestimating his opponents which rubed Misty wrong way).

Having her outbursts being strong willed and feisty, showed romantic/dreamy side falling in love with cute pokemon or romantic stories, being full of her quirks and fears from creepy places like in haunted forest, abandoned houses posessed by old Ninetakes, bugs etc.

Brimming with competitive nature and passion for water pokemon(she shined a lot in Whirl Islands detour imo) and lot of fiery passion and spunk demeanor in taking initiative hersewlf in taking care of things (like that crybaby Marill, school full of mischief Chinchou, investigating who is hiding under Gligar mask etc).

I also found Misty interactions with Daisy, Tracey and Sakura in chronicles, or with Max, Ash and Brock when coming for visit in Hoenn hilarious for most part. She seemed more independent and baddas as trainer(especially with that Gyarados), seeming more outgoing while having that hotheaded side to her blowing up at others or coming up with brash remark when pushing her buttons. Showing to remain that quirky and spunky character which became stronger as trainer and person.

I feel Misty remained equally fun as character after maturing abit gaining some new intriguing traits while keeping that older charm, fire and energetic side of hers for most part.

Personally i think character development she received helped Misty in becoming more dimensional and complex as character. With various quirks and qualities inherent to her coming out to expression instead of just temper like sarcasm, girly side,romance which came on surface the most during Orange Islands, passionate love and dedication toward battling and water types, spunk, her witty and timid side etc becoming fairly rounded character feeling more genuine and realistic.

While gaining with time some new traits and skill enriching on alrerady existing characterization such as becoming more prideful, responsible and playful.

Developing quite a lot in personality and emotional aspect as character becoming more compassionate and aware of her own flaws, getting over complex of feeling inferior to Daisy and others and more independent, tougher as character not needing to rely on her friend help as much anymore.

With testament to that starting to happen in Johto when she was taking charge in battling and resolving crisis regarding TR, dangerous pokemon or various other issues(like crybaby Marill, Arbok mecha tank,protecting Diglett village from thiefs,)more actively. Followed with preventing gym from ending closed down bringing it back to right track and through unselfish, caring act of taking poison sting and Tentacruel beating for Gyarados managing to calm it down and succeed without having anyone to back on if she needs.

TLDR: I feel Misty remained equally fun as character after maturing abit gaining some new intriguing traits while keeping that older charm, fire and energetic side of hers. Beingjust as spunky, fun and lively to watch in her what i considered very good interactions with several characters she met during travels in Johto, chronicles or Hoenn appearances.

While becoming very, very attached to Ash and Brock developing close bond to them full of understanding and appreciation, witty jokes, sharing with them her own past and issues while scolding them and arguing but in more lighthearted, grown up way to the point of being hardest for her to leave. With her disappointment and how much she was upset in "Gotta Catch Ya Later"speaking volumes of how MUCH Misty grew as person compared to early Kanto days. Viewing them not just as traveling friends, but her own family at that point.

Which was appreciating and nice gradual transformation bringing more texture and depth to Misty while keeping charm and fun aspects of character with growth only adding on that. Making characterization richer, with more flavor in my opinion.

p.s.
    Thanks alot Besho for that wonderful picture of Misty. It depicted her really well in her own element water. Even though she may not become water master, she is "sea princess" in my opinion.
    Well she does draw some similarities with little mermaid Ariel when dressed as mermaid herself.

Also Happy Easter to everyone who celebrate it!
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 19th April 2014 at 2:36 PM.

I mean, I know, I can't say she wasn't interesting in Johto, because she still was in some ways. Like for example, the whirl islands, how she finally entered a mini league that involved water and such. She has similarities with Sakura, and how they both have sisters that they both can relate too. There was that episode when Brock was sick and her and Ash had to take care of the day, that helped.

There were many episodes like the unofficial gym in Johto dealing with water, and so. She had her moments I'll agree, but I do know that she was underappretiated in Johto due to the fillers, and how Ash was basically the star of the show and Misty and Brock were pushed to the side. She was enjoyable in Johto, it's just not compared to Kanto and the Orange Islands.
    In terms of Hoenn, the positive aspects were how she still had the fear of bugs, how she seemed to get a long with Max efficiently, and her and May also made a great pair, and I could see that they could've been really good friend themselves.

In the chronicles I felt that she was really enjoyable even more than her appearances in Hoenn. With Cerulean Blues being my favorite, had hints showing what a strong character she was, and it showed more evidence that Misty could've stayed with Ash and Brock in hoenn, and had the ability to develop in that region. With the Psyduck scene in A Date With Delcatty, her tempor was still not forgotten and I thought that was also interesting. It still showed she still had that temper inside of her, something I love.

I just prefer Kanto Misty more than Hoenn Misty because she was more entertaining. That still doesn't stop me from having Misty as my favorite character.
    Also, yeah, thanks Besho for the great pictures of Misty! She's so pretty :3

To Pokeshipper9000:
    I know how you feel about Misty treatment in Johto. She got neglected in Johto and i wont deny that, but to be fair in beginning of Johto(third season) and 5th(Master Quest) Misty wasn't really in background. She was actually highly active in those seasons with her neglect becoming noticeable only in 4th season to me.

Its actually bothering to me in encountering on daily basus claims how 90% of Johto was fillers. It wasn't, many of Johto episodes contained character development for Brock and Misty or introduced items which helped pushed plot forward in future like "Ring Masters" with Snorlax winning king stone.

Many of those so called "fillers" like "For Crying Out Loud" contained genuine development for Misty character learning how to be moe open and tolerant toward water pokemon bonding with them on closer level(btw one of best MIsty episodes, no doubt).. "Outrageous Fortunes" where Misty battled through whole episode with her Poliwhirl evolving, "Hook, Line and Stinker" where Misty helped Poliwhirl getting over selfconfidence issues becoming more synchronized as trainer and pokemon in battling etc.

I mean seriously, how can episodes where Misty pokemon or Misty herself received characer development be consdidered "fillers"? When they clearly weren't.

In terms of her emotional, personality growth, battling and progressing water master career in nutshell Misty received more focus and growth than she did in Kanto and Orange actually. Such as being more active battler often using Poliwhirl, Staryu and later Corsola as main battlers. Started to do more with goal of becoming water master by entering Whirl Cup, Seaking catching contest, battled gym Coastline gym leader Dorian, revealed why she likes water pokemon so much in episodes like "Some like it Hot", formed rivalry bonding with several characters like Sakura or Egan.

Not to mention in many of those Johto episodes because of being negatiuvely etiquetted as "bland fillers" its missed out on many enjoyable, interesting details and influence she played there.
    Often contributed to resolution of various plots like case of stolen food by Houndoor, helped Timothy to find Dunsparce, talked with Brock about romance issues helping him to overcome it, resolved mystery behind Lakoko turning out to be Ninetales etc etc.

Added humor by playing sub role in various episodes, like trying to investigate about stolen food by Houndoor,trying to pair up people such as Janine and Jenaro in Whirl Islands, , taking initiative to save Pikachu, Togepi and Sentret from TR Arbok tank, tried to catch several water pokemon(like Wooper, Teddiursa, Quagsire, "Chinchau etc) failing at it bringing lot of flexible comedy being just plain enjoyable.

Tried to resolve mysteries about Ninetales, robber black Arachnid in episode about Jennie which used Spinarak instead of Growlith, Diglett thief. Often got into clash with Ash in more subtle joking manner making fun of his skills or appetite such as in episodes about Chinchau or Ursaring, scold him for being reckless rather wanting to eat hamburger instead of training for gym, reminded him of his task of delivering GS ball being annoyed with carefree attitude.
    Often showed eagerness to partake into something being big dreamer just to end up embarrassing herself in front of others such as in breeder convention or when trying to save Wooper and get it cross over bridge failing at it etc.
    Not to mention she also added fiery and fun chemistry having entertaining interactions with many characters in that saga contributing to healthy and quality dynamic. There was arguing between Ash and Misty, moments of annoyance with his stupidity, private talks with Brock or rubbing him over his obsession over girls being full of spirit, life and flare as character.

Im sure im not the only one who remembers this things.

While i can understand your point of Misty not receiving enough focus with many things being left underdeveloped, to be fair in my opinion Misty still received lot of personality growth and development in Johto battling and entering more bevents never feeling neglected in third snd 5th season.With only end of 3rd and 4th season containing few and far between moments.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    About Hoenn and chronioles those are moments i really liked about Misty character too. Though i need to add that Misty showed temper and annoyance with her sister Daisy too in episode with Delcatty and Luvdisc acting spunky or her sassy, sarcastic behavior coming up with fun remarks and aggresive side toward colonel Hanson when releasing Togetic. Being irked by Brock flirting over princess Sarah and Ash carefree behavior managing to irk her right of the bat when taking invitation from her brimming with brash and confident aspect of her.

I agree Misty was amazing in Kanto being rude, impatient and highly impulsive. But its just in contrast when comparing her character from early days to how she was in Hoenn overall i consider Misty equally enjoyable and fun in different, more experienced light being just as great.

I liked how during chronicles and cameos her character became more responsible not being insecure in herself so much like she used to be while still being quirky, fierce and tomboyish finding right balance between her hotheaded and girly side. Which can be noticed in playful teasing of Ash and Brock, dynamic interaction with Daisy and Tracey with her sisters leaving some influence on her becoming little bit more outgoing. While at same time remaining strong willed having attitude.

How she overcomed some of long time problems such as gaining sisters respect, getting over Gyarados fear earnig its thrust, being willing to let go ones she loves knowing whats best for them(like Togetic) growing in "stronger" character and trainer who knew how to take care of herself better while still having that charm.
    She seemed there just as great like she was in Kanto to me being wild, playful and tomboyish but also more "grown up". Feeling like traveling, various experiences, struggles, friends etc left influence on her coming long way since her starting days growing as person.

Just like we in real life do and that i liked about her casting new, fresh light to her entertainment value.
    Becoming slightly more aware of her own flaws, accepted criticism better , got more considerate as person and revealed more of defiance and sarcasm aside from her temperament nature people in teen age would which made Misty characterization deeper and with more variety compared to her early days for me.

Nothing wrong with that. Its just i guess i feel abit different about this finding how Misty in Hoenn was still highly enjoyable and great character for me to same extent like she was befor being amazing there. Though i respect your opinion of feeling different and can see your point.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 19th April 2014 at 8:58 PM.

I did agree that in season 3 of Johto, it was interesting, and also END of season 5 of johto. I undertand we see Hoenn Misty quite differently, but that's okay. I like a less grown up version of Misty because she made me laugh, and I feel like that it is who Misty really is.

However, that's a reason why many other Pokemon fans dislike Misty. "She was too angry" or "She was short tempered." Is usually their line of defense when it's brought up on why they disliked Misty's character. But, evidence could back up that she was gentle in Hoenn, and she's not that tempered person anymore.

But then there's my favorite Misty appearance in Hoenn which would be the Master Mind of Mirage Pokemon. Even though Michelle Knotz voiced her, causing her to loose the Misty character, while watching it in Japanese, or muted with subtitles, there was still that spunk left in Misty that we all loved. How she flaunted to Ash that she also was invited. Or how she told him they'd be rivals like they were in the old good ol' days good further back up the enjoyable Misty aspects

I liked how also, in the Togepi arc of Hoenn, the way she handled Brock causing May to be impressed. "How does she do it?" was literally her facial expression. Or how she impressed Ash with her kick butt gyradose, I also liked that aspect in Hoenn.

Further more, I just prefer less maturity rather than "maturity". I always liked immature characters in other tv shows anyways, it's rather entertaining. But, Misty wasn't completely immature. She had the maturity inside of her especially once she received Togepi, gaining the motherly aspects of her character.

@Pokeshipper9000: I agree about end of Johto, though i think things really started to shape up and become interesting much sooner. With Whirl Islands which was almost completely Misty focused having mini arc building toward Corsola capture, Whirl Cup or playing role in Lugia and TR arc. Followed with several episodes where she played prominent role in whole 5th season like misunderstanding with hotheaded trainer Egan sharing her love for water pokemon with him, reunion with by that time good friend Sakura having battle and talking about past experiences, hilarious scenes such as in episode about Slowpoke temple dissing on TR through whole episode, evolving her Poiwhirl etc.

To me Misty was handled more or less really good in 5th season not feeling shunned at all.

About Misty maturity, fair enough. Though its not like more mature characters cant be humorous, have their crazy escapades and be interesting, while their maturity allowing them to better react in certain situations being more competent in resolving issues and when battling.

But i can respect and understand your feelings and preference about Misty.

Its just that character development is way i see it needed, often desired to prevent character in story from ending flanderized withn repeat of same traits over and over again turning him in stagnant, underdeveloped character. I realize how many probably liked Misty vicious temper and violent side exploding over every single thing in Kanto days not having patuence for anything or understanding(thius is one of things i enjoyed a lot about Misty character too). But it wasn't to expect Misty staying exact same way since early Kanto days and if she did people would eventually becoming sick of her. Feeling like she is static and her story has never leaded her anywhere because of not developing at all as character.

It would feel like Misty never learned anything from her travels, how presence of Ash and Brock in her life didn't left any impact on her, how all her struggles, selfquestioning and hard work would be for nothing. Because it would never lead Misty characterization and story anywhere not learning how to become more selfaware of her own flaws becoming more understandable as person. Not discovering her own talent emerging on surface as more independent, filled with selfesteem person who breaked free out of shadow imposed on her by older sisters. Not finding strength and courage tp get over Gyarados fear and her own selfdoubts. Becoming tougher, more responsible character.

Nothing of that would have happened if there was no personality growth and maturity.

Which was in essence point of May personality growth for example too who became more collected and selfrelisnt girl developing her confidence and realization what path she should follow. Changing and maturing a lot from Hoenn days as evidenced in Battle Frontier and Wallace Cup visit being less naive and dizzy compared to start.
    But this didnpt took away from her appeal still being fun character.

I feel same way about Misty. Just like with May, i don't think maturity took away from Misty charm as character remaining enjoyable. In fact ill argue Misty was amazing and hilarious in chronicles and Hoenn appearances or Mastermind special which counts as appearances imo.

Like i mentioned before Misty from Hoenn still had LOT of spunk and brash demeanor as showed with brother trio in Cerulean Blues. When yelled at Daisy for being careless when Butch and Cassidy kidnapped pokemon or being annoyed by her attitude, while stubborn not wanting to wear mermaid costume showing lot of fiery attitude. Had some really sweet bonding as sister to sister when working as team in using Luvdisc to battle and exploring on friendship with Sakura and Max with who she could relate to and find common language.

Showed her temper and hotheaded demeanor toward Psyduck, when got cornered by bugs like Shedinja deciding to fight it despite being freightened, being furious at colonel Hanson. Full of witty comments and sarcastic jabs coming up with funny remarks about Daisy model career in subtle way, Brock flirty nature, or Ash clueless attitude when annoyed lashing out or teasing him over his compatibility with pokemon and ability to be resourceful in crisis sitiuation which ignited his response having nice conflict in special about mirage pokemon and her first Hoenn visit right of the start when coming with Togepi to evolve it.

Had her quirks and passion for battling, fear from bugs and creepy places along with in contrast to rebellious, defiuant behabvior she showed also radiating with quirky nature realizing what love is and commitment it requires from both side feeling shy and very timid when faced with such things reactions when asked to go on date by Georgio or when got fooled into thinking oin appoearing on TV portrayed this very well). Becoming more competent and tougher than ever ( Max admired her headstrong nature and skilled use of Gyarados for a reason which even left Ash surprised).

Feeling like she as person gotten stronger seeming like she was in Kanto but in more grown up, experienced kinda way gaining new traits enriching on characterization while retaining things which defined her and made great in first place like hotheaded flare, comedy, sassy and quirky, curious nature. Balancing out nicely in episodes after departure both her girly, tender side and tomboyish, feisty nature.

p.s,. In short i think Misty was and still is amazing, full of fun and emotion character. Whether we are talking about Kanto, Orange Islands, Chronicles or Hoenn. With good moments strongly overpowering bad ones.

Having lot of fun quirks, interests and certain outgoing , spunky and unselfish attitude which adds for compelling character.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 20th April 2014 at 11:28 AM.

No matter what, Misty will always be my favorite character no matter what region it is. All though I love Kanto Misty a lot because she was crazy and awesome, she's still my favorite female lead along with May. Valid points you have

But when she's your favorite character, you can get greedy, or upset. Misty didn't have much screen time as much as the other female leads, she did have more episodes, but just think? Most of the episodes she was like Brock in DP. She was there to be just there. That's why I truly felt like she was handled really well in Kanto, because she had more of a role, more character development, and more of her story.

Her dream with Prima of the Elite Four took place in season 2, and even when it was kanto or early johto she's mentioned that she wanted to be a Pokemon Master I remember she didn't even say water. So that means, to write off a character with such a big dream was just unruly. I think maybe she toned down in Johto because they knew she was going to be written off in some sort of way.

But yeah, Johto did open some doors with Misty, like I mentioned earlier, how she got along with that unofficial water type gym, gaining corsola, and more situations where she even entered a mini league, that was quite interesting. If you just look at majority Johto episodes, she was just pushed away. Sure, she had some spotlights, but think about it..Johto was about 180 episodes I believe. Out of all that she probably had like 8? 9? Focusing on only her, and probably 20 episodes where she wasn't completely ignored.

Hoenn Misty may not be my favorite because she was too matured, but Hoso was during hoenn, and that's where I clearly enjoyed Misty too. Cerulean Blues being my favorite, where I mentioned her risking her like saving gyradose. As I mentioned it was totally an Ash thing (Him and his Charizard, Charizard not obeying Ash yet he still did anything for him) so that's why I could've said before they learned so much from each other.

If only we could've seen more insights on Misty being a gym leader. I don't think she truly likes it, but it's fair to see how she is now.
    Last edited by OfCorsola; 21st April 2014 at 12:26 PM.

I FP I recall correctly, Misty went from wanting to simply be "the best" to being a "pokemon master". That's character development right there. I'm convinced she was written off because the show WAS going to end...Ash and Misty got close...it was going to end dramatically...then they got more money and had to write off the weakest link....Misty because a relationship is just not what would appeal to most of the target audience, kids.

I love how the ratings for episodes in which Misty returned were so high. I hope they take the hint and get her back. I want no one other than Rachel Lillis to voice her for the English dub too, she is amazing.
    Ash+Misty Forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokeshipper9000 View Post
    But when she's your favorite character, you can get greedy, or upset. Misty didn't have much screen time as much as the other female leads, she did have more episodes, but just think? Most of the episodes she was like Brock in DP. She was there to be just there. That's why I truly felt like she was handled really well in Kanto, because she had more of a role, more character development, and more of her story.

Her dream with Prima of the Elite Four took place in season 2, and even when it was kanto or early johto she's mentioned that she wanted to be a Pokemon Master I remember she didn't even say water. So that means, to write off a character with such a big dream was just unruly. I think maybe she toned down in Johto because they knew she was going to be written off in some sort of way.

But yeah, Johto did open some doors with Misty, like I mentioned earlier, how she got along with that unofficial water type gym, gaining corsola, and more situations where she even entered a mini league, that was quite interesting. If you just look at majority Johto episodes, she was just pushed away. Sure, she had some spotlights, but think about it..Johto was about 180 episodes I believe. Out of all that she probably had like 8? 9? Focusing on only her, and probably 20 episodes where she wasn't completely ignored.

Hoenn Misty may not be my favorite because she was too matured, but Hoso was during hoenn, and that's where I clearly enjoyed Misty too. Cerulean Blues being my favorite, where I mentioned her risking her like saving gyradose. As I mentioned it was totally an Ash thing (Him and his Charizard, Charizard not obeying Ash yet he still did anything for him) so that's why I could've said before they learned so much from each other.

If only we could've seen more insights on Misty being a gym leader. I don't think she truly likes it, but it's fair to see how she is now.
    I can understand your disappointment and frustration because amount of untapped potential asbout Misty past, her career, passion for wanting to become very best with water pokemon and unresolved flaws or fears cannot be denied. But i don't think Misty was pushed to backside like Brock was in DP during any course of original series to be honest.

Sure you could say coordinators like May and Dawn had their own rivals, better expanded dreams and more focus on progress made in their careers.
    But way i see it Misty arguably brought just as much on table, if not even more than other girls did since she beside her plots and story directly influenced plot of main protagonist and story of this anime in general. She served as catalyst through which Ash developed as trainer helping him to stand on two feet when starting out, often saved his and other people lives, took initiative in her hands preventing natural disasters caused by pokemon or human factor. Played fun subrole in many episodes bringing strong identity and charisma through her string presence not being dependent on structured plots like contests to give viewer impression that someone is active.
    Along with having strongest personality out of all female companions imo bringing lot pf sarcasm, clash, comedy and conflict in main cast with her dreaming and romantic side adding extra flavor to group dynamics providing anime with extra twist through her insecure and shy outbursts not being your typical tsundere you can see on daily basis in other cartoons.

While having her motives and desires, quest of becoming water master, versatile and interesting line up of pokemon she collected during travels,sad and easy to relate background which greatly shaped in what person she became and development .

Granted May and Dawn had advantage of being more fleshed out as characters, received more development regarding their stories etc, but way i see it Misty get fairly believable growth in character sense happening gradually and in correlation with her own dreams and story. When Misty matured in Johto and afterwards in chronicles she was still spunky, strong willed not taking crap from anyone and playful having her quirks but she also became less insecure and aggressive reflecting growth through which she went as character learning how to be more tolerant which can be manifested in growing attached to pokemon she disliked like Psyduck, or appreciating friendship with Ash and Brock opening and softening toward them being like her new family(family which brought sense of security and moral support which she never received from her sisters). Became more responsible taking gym back on right track and preventing it from being shut down developing sense of obligation and levelheaded proving to be positive for character when getting over issue of feeling less worthy compared to sisters stepping out of their shadow when traveling with Ash and Brock helping others like Sakura about same problem. Learned how to bond better with water pokemon and resolve tough situations, independent not needing other friends help to solve things on her own, overcome childhood trauma from Gyarados etc,

While finding right balance between her tough and serene, more sensitive side.
    Which i can say turned out to be female protagonist whose personality and emotional growth was much, much bigger than Dawn or Iris had(goal development isn't same as character, personality development) with travels, struggles and experuence she gained affecting her just as much as it did May.

Regardless of Misty own dreams and aspirations being ignored for good chunk of time.

Nevertheless i watched Johto several times and while it may not be the strongest saga Misty was in, its very incorrect belief widespreaded out there how majority of Johto saga had Misty reduced to background porop.

Far from it.
    Long post ahead so ill put it under spoiler bracket:
        Spoiler:- Johto:

In regards to chronicles, fair enough. because i truly enjoyewd them as well finding Misty was at her best in there. Getting some very notable character development, became stronger as character and had many memrable, hilarious moments. Although i don't think she falled behind in her Hoenn appearences and Mastermind of Mirage pokemon special either enjoying in her focus there.

With writers finding right amount of mature and immature aspects of Misty characterization both in Chronicles and Hoenn visits. Becoming more responsible person filled with self esteem not being insecure in herself so much like she used to be while still being livel, sarcastic, feisty and full of personality character. Remaining that same hotheaded as well outspoken, fierce and brave character we used to know getting into clash with Ash in more lighthearted way(especially in Mastermind special or in first cameos about Tiogepi), Daiusy or villains like Hanson,being shy and insecure when others teased her about guys and romance, strong willed and adamant trying to protect Togepi, work with Psyduck and finding courage to tame Gyarados , look after Ash when joining him to rescue prof. Oak by dr. Doom and look after Max like older sister and finding courage to let go her most precious okemon at that time Togepi(very emotional scene imo being sad to see them burst into tears after saying goodbye) while coming of as playful and sounky to Ash and Brock in cameos in more "grown up way".

Giving out impression how time alone soent with Daisy and sisters left some influence on here, despite getting on her nerves annoying her sometime.

About Misty future in pokemon series, well she certainly has chance to comeback and play relevant role again in my opinion. Its only up to writers with way they abruptly removed her taking care of gym because of necessity and incompetent sisters and showed from character selfdoubts never giving up on dream of becoming water master. Way they left things unfinished and undefined about her future showing desire in chronicles to travel and become honored and renowned water expert opening room for changes and push Misty in new directions because at end of the day Misty clearly showed in chronicles and when meeting up with Ash, Brick how she views gym more as job than anything else showing desire to become much more(like her game counterpart in Gold, Silver and HGSS remakes eventually leaving gym to travel and increase her skills in battling stronger trainers or entering things like World Cup in BW2 games). Continuing on her character development.

I mean its pretty obvious how Misty has adventurous spirit wanting to become strongest one type trainer, so its entirely possible once either substitute is found or one of her sisters becomes more reliable (Daisy is most promising candidate) that she eventually go on travel like many other gym leaders in past did(like Wallace who became top class water trainer eventually) to enrich her knowledge, learn new things, enter hard tournaments(even Whirl Cup showed how winning such things are crucial to become noticed among other experts around the world making name for yourself with sea priest Maya talking about water masters and connection to such competitions)and develop her own battling style making step forward toward ultimate aim.
    Either way Misty was replaced in such a way that writers could in reality easily reintroduce her back. Main reason she took over gym was due to obligation and sisters incompetence, and providing substitute gets provided i could see her hitting road again like other gym leaders did(Wallace, Cilan, Fantina , Candice etc)to advance her skills and goal of becoming water master.
    Several times stating how she wants to becopme worlds best water trainer world has ever seen, mastering her most favorite type.

Add to that established strong popularity, appealing factor her character brings and iconic status and its pretty much guaranteed how her return could help restore ratings attracting more of older fans toward anime, increase sales and anime reputation. With one of biggest advantage older characters having like Misty over new ones is fact of proving to be successful and well received in past, making less risky for writers to revive them as well having background(popularity among fans=serving as stepping stone to have them become quickly accepted among new generations).
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 22nd April 2014 at 9:15 AM.

I think the greatest thing that could happen to Pokemon right now is for Misty to return as Pokemonfan132 has stated above. Bringing in old fans, (like myself...) would do a great service to Nintendo. It is without a doubt a huge appeal for Ash to finally grow up. They keep making the anime SLIGHTLY more mature but never really get to that point.

To me, Misty is one of the best characters to ever grace the genre...and from the very beginning. She was the second gym battle you experienced in the gen one games...then the girl you saw in the very first episode of the anime. How can she be forgotten? How could they just abandon her character so easily to make more revenue? That is unforgivable in my mind.

I understand that younger fans might have grown up with May or Dawn but to me they can't touch the appeal and character Misty has. Misty has the entire package...if only the kept her along for the journey we could really see what she has to offer even the most casual of fans.

Ash was new to everybody when the anime first came out and Misty was his first real friend on the journey for years. She just has to return and if it needs to happen..at least have a proper goodbye. It might be horrible to say, but I hope Pokemon would die out before they make any more mistakes and lose MORE real die-hard fans. I mean, I enjoy XY but even that series pales in comparison to the original series -- and that is in no way just nostalgia speaking. Also...the ratings speak for themselves.

Long story short: please Nintendo and everyone else..don't forget our first lead girl! <3

P.S. Here is a great read about why Misty left the show:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/blo...off-in-pokemon
    Ash+Misty Forever!

Its unfortunate that Misty club is being in such drought of speculation, talks and sharing love for first pokemon girl lead.

But given lack of any news im not surprised, just abit saddened.

Here is hoping that 20th anniversary of pokemon which should come in next few years(2017? if im not mistaken), would have Misty return in person. Give her update, some actual closure to story, her goals of becoming top water trainer for which meeting other experts and entering tournaments is desierable. Chance to play active role again if writers decide to mark annoversary with some special, or even better movie.

Though if im going to be perfectly honest, Misty should return to main cast or for at least some valuable long appearance for 8 to 10 episodes(if Dawn can, why she couldn't too?)becoming relevant and important in some sense again.

Letting people know how Misty does exist, do continuation of her own dreams and story, embellish anime with her strong, resourceful personality and give us insight in what shes been up to, how much things changed being taken in new, exciting and unpredictable direction.

At very least some decent appearance for several episodes she deserves, especially after not returning not even for single episode in last 9 years.

Sad and shameful thing how such a great character ended forgotten. But i still believe not all hope is lost, or at least i want to believe.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 22nd May 2014 at 9:59 AM.

IT makes me very sad to see how vacant it is here. I still think there is hope; however. I know there are a LOT of Misty fans out there, just many aren't part of this forum here. I'm also sure those who are, may not be aware of this thread.

I'll try to get it up and going again with a topic:

What do you think is Misty's strongest Pokemon?
    Ash+Misty Forever!

Well, most club threads aren't really full, so it's not because there isn't Misty fans :P

What do you think is Misty's strongest Pokemon
    Gyradose & Corsola

I agree 100% percent! It's so cool how she conquered her fear of him!
    Ash+Misty Forever!

Probably Gyarados, they seem pretty strong in general. Her Corsola seemed pretty strong also, and her Psyduck could be strong at times also.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfloydian View Post
    I know there are a LOT of Misty fans out there, just many aren't part of this forum here. I'm also sure those who are, may not be aware of this thread.
    I know that too, i see plenty of them on online sites, tumblr, facebook, youtube etc. Though even most optimistic ones i witnessed to start losing hope and havioig any expectations over Misty ever getting justice and chance to play relevant role in this anime again. Be given closure to her unfinished dreams of becoming water master and story or just to enjoy in her zestful,fun character.

Im still having hope for at very least fair appearance(by fair i mean return for some arc of several episodes, than just one episode after almost decade). Because its hard to believe that writers would just completely forget about original pokemon girl and character which had lot of potential to be done more and is highly popular. Potential which writers and producers cast aside in favor of imposing their new policy and formula onto anime of treating female leads as only expendable material, eye candy which once generation is over are abandoned in favor of next one continuing with never ending cycle with no end in sight sadly.

Interesting topic by the way.

What do you think is Misty's strongest Pokemon?

Gyarados is pretty obvious choice. Its hands down Misty's most powerful pokemon, her own powerhouse. Interesting thing about Gyarados is that it represented longt ime fear Misty had ever since she was baby from that specie, and imo "Cerulean Blue" wonderfully depicted Misty devotedness and unselfish side in trying to protect this pokemon almost getting killed herself.

Resulting in great character development in overcoming her trauma and being testament to her strength/ independence as character.

Politoad is definitely among top three as well. Its veteran at this point being involved in multiple battles(from what was showed when it was Poliwhirl but later on possibly in gym battles too).
    It posess wide specter of interesting techniques, has powerful psychic and special attacks. Like body slam, double slap, water gun, bubblebeam etc.
    Not to mention it can learn atacks which would pose issue for almost any pokemon type to deal with. Hypnosis, hyper beam, blizzard, earthquake, protect etc, etc. You name it.

Staryu and Corsola are pretty powerful too. When you see pink coral defeating pokemon like Gyarados, Mantine, Quilfish or Delcatty you know it contains big strength ready to deliver devastating blow for opponent. Having balanced mix of both strong defensive and offensive abilities in form of mirror coat, recover, spike cannon, bubble etc. No wonder why Misty was so eager and persistent in catching it during Whirl islands.

And Staryu proved to be extremely resistant, fast and agile being involved in several rescue missions coming in light of excellent swimmer. It defeated Marina Tentacruel from Orange islands with just one swift, regularly defeated James Weezing, Victreebel or Jessie Arbok with no problems and in third movie unlike Brock pokemon which were quickly brought on ropes. Staryu holded its own ground against Molly Mantine( her pokemon were double stronger than they normally would be). Impressively resisting whirlpool and bubblebeam going full on in clash with manta ray pokemon.

There is also Psyduck, though his power fluctuates. But under headache it has capacity to overwhelm just about any pokemon with its humongous psychic strength. Opening access to incredibly powerful moves like disable, psychic or confusion.

Psyduck is basically unsanded diamond. Posess huge potential but Misty didn't learned how to unlock it properly.
    She tried in chronicles but without much success due to its incredible dimwitted nature and Misty own impulsive, headstrong persona lacking enough tolerance and knowledge in overcoming this issues.

Which is one of ways to provide interesting character development in Misty coming to understanding Psyduck nature, develop more patience in working with him and discovering how to bring its true strength on sdurface. Making him more competent and closer to its trainer.

Agreed, there are many Misty fans and they don't even know what Tumblr is..
    Misty is an awesome character, and I hate how people don't like her just because of the hot head personality traits. They should watch Hoenn, or Johto where she has motherly instincts, and she's calm. She has multiple points througout the show and she deserves to come back!

Quote Originally Posted by OfCorsola View Post
    Agreed, there are many Misty fans and they don't even know what Tumblr is..
    Misty is an awesome character, and I hate how people don't like her just because of the hot head personality traits. They should watch Hoenn, or Johto where she has motherly instincts, and she's calm. She has multiple points througout the show and she deserves to come back!
    Sorry to say but many of detractors who watched Johto, chronicles or cameos with MIsty in Hoenn dislike her as well.

They dont like Misty passion for water pokemon, found her water master dream and being mono trainer "boring". Dislike how she is outspoken, romantic and dreamer liking concept of love, candles, flowers or tenderness, how she has sarcasm and defiant nature not backing down to challenge or letting others to put her down. They dont like her optimism, flirty tendencies and of course hotheaded. feisty and adamant attitude of hers.

Misty showed plenty of caring nature and mother tendencies even in Kanto when taking care of Horsea babying it, when bonding with Eevee brother Mikey knowing how its like to be youngest in family and downplayed by older siblings etc.

Showing how she is kind, sweet and loyal friend. But also has attitude knowing how to stand up for herself, not being afraiud to spoeak out truth and stand up for the week. Which provided positive role model for several people sghe mewt. For example i remeber how Max admired her knowledge, independence and playful, full of spunk nature. Being impressed by her use of Gyarados or how she handled Brock when hormones went out wild.

But i dont pay attention to what dislikers may think in general not liking what iIsty is and what defines her character.
    There will always be those which like and dislike character, its impossible to appease to everyone taste.

For me Misty brought soul to pokemon anime, certain charm in form of humor, endearment and tension with none of other cast managing to recapture vibrant flamboyant dynamic they produced ever again. Along with her straightforward attitude, complex demeanor being rough and feisty but also having that tender, girly side being timid, misunderstood and in many ways insecure making her complete, realistic and with lot lot of depth character. Gaining even more dimension later as she her developed.

Deserving to come back, give younger generations chance to get know her as very important and iconic girl of pokemon series, delight older fans. Enjoy in her antics, fiery outbursts and humor knowing how to add extra flavor to group dynamics. Especially now that shes more selfreliant, confident and grown up being interesting to see her rekindle on friendship with Ash and others, but most of all get update on whats happening with her. Her pokemon, how much she improved as gym leader and advance her own dreams of becoming top water trainer in world/water master going forward, entering tournaments and meeting other experts from who she could learn.

Overall Misty is amazing character, has ton of viable potential to take her in many fresh directions not deserving to end up forgotten. Not at all.

Source:http://rebloggy.com/post/pokemon-mis...ic/22037462846
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 7th June 2014 at 8:57 PM.

Misty could possibly appear in person, if we ever get a 20th anniversary special/movie/episode or in the series finale, if we ever get one. Other than that, I don't think Misty will ever appear in person again, though she will probably get more cameos by being referenced or appearing in some sort of flashback or something on occasion.

The first time I watched pokemon was during the first season, when I was 5 years old. I didn't care all too much for the show and never watched anything beyond season 1. Growing up I learned Misty and Brock eventually left the show, and it made me think "The main characters left the show? Sounds dumb!"

Now, in 2014, I decided to watch pokemon, all 800+ episodes, starting at the beginning. I was instantly hooked and couldn't stop watching! After 2 months of binge watching, spending so much time with the original trio, I reached the best, worst, saddest, happiest episode I ever saw. "Gotta Catch ya Later." The day had finally come. I was over 10 years late to the occasion, and had known it would happen for years. This didn't help the fact that it happened.

I cannot continue pokemon now. I've tried and its just not the same! Misty was a huge part of the show for me! For 1, she had the best pokemon. Psyduck, Politoad, Togepi. All great characters who were super fun to watch. Togepi might have made me laugh more than any other character! Seeing her go meant seeing these great characters go, which added to the heaviness of her departure.

But what was heaviest of all was just knowing that 10 years, TEN YEARS worth of episodes would go by after this point, and she will never return. Do you know what might be one thing that would help me get over this and be able to watch the show in peace? HER RETURN! A special or a movie where she returns for a good long while, letting us, the viewers, know that, even after all this time, Ash, Misty, and Brock are still all best friends, better friends than any others Ash had made. Letting us know that Ash still thinks about Misty and Misty still thinks about Ash and they can get together and adventure and be just like the old days.

And imagine that, if Misty really couldn't stick around long, that when she left she gives Ash a good peck on the cheek. That would make so many fans from back in the day so happy, to know that Ash and Misty still have that kind of foggy relationship, that its still there and that they can still end up being just as strong as ever.

(Now that that's all done, I don't know whether to try to force myself to watch the rest of the series or to just pretend it all ends in season 5, and just rewatch it from there!)

Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast