Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 137

Thread: 10 commandments

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Inna House... With Cable!!!
    Posts
    3,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChedWick View Post
    I knew someone was gonna play that angle with me. I figured it would have been one of the more trollish posters though. But in any sense, the comparison of the commandments being necessary to live and breathing is very poor. The commandments are for ones self. Breathing is for ones self. You must breathe to live. You don't have to not kill to personally live.

    In before suicide.
    Ouch! Not all my opinions can be wise and sage like Chedwick! I still feel the 10 are for everyone, They are a great guideline to live by, and though they may not be necessary for you there is far to much crime and hatred in the world to say they are not needed. Maybe they shouldn't have been on tablets but maybe a big *** club instead. So everyone could get the message.

    So true!

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zibdas View Post
    Again, I don't expect you to believe me, or accept Christianity right away. Even I don't fully.

    -If you say someone with half a brain would figure out that killing is bad, or to stop killing, how do you explain wars? murderers? rapists?
    Many murders or rapists have psychological issues. As for the others, they are well aware that killing is wrong and just don't care. I never said that people with half a brain wouldn't kill, they just would understand that it's wrong.

    IMO, wars are when a country/group decides that some goal makes killing worth it. Most countries at war understand that killing is inherently wrong, but feel that they have a good enough reason to do it anyway (NOTE: I do not approve of war. Period. But that's a topic for another day).

    I never thought you expected me to agree with you =P It would be a pretty boring debate if we all agreed with each other anyway.
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/2r40gt0.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i48.*******.com/j0wppv.jpg[/IMG]
    ~Shiny Card~
    If You're Interested in Shiny Hunting, Check Out Shiny Hunters United!

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, England
    Posts
    295

    Default

    I believe all (or at least, most) religion is a result of keeping power and peace in times without government like that we have today. The 10 commandments are essentially just a law with the "power of God" behind it to make people scared and follow said law. I may be wrong, but it's my take on it.

    The 10 commandments are unnecessary, but maybe form our own laws this modern day. I find them more or less "common sense" and pointless, as clearly other cultures without these commandments have risen fine

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    ?
    Posts
    2,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zibdas View Post
    1-4 have only everything to do with morality. And do 5-11 really need to be specific? You don't have to be specific, you just have to get the gist of it.
    1-4 have everything to do with morality?Since when?How is conduct towards God considered morality?
    Shinies: (Gift) (In-game event) (SR) (search) (random), (traded away) Sylveon (trade) (MM)
    Friend code: 4356-0061-9735, Redjirachi

    FT: (all shiny)
    LF: (all shiny)

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Inna House... With Cable!!!
    Posts
    3,821

    Default

    Yeah 4-11 are more morality related than 1-3.

    So true!

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,365

    Default

    Here are YHWH's 10 commandments
    YHWH-Thou shalt have no gods before me
    Wait why is this so important that it is #1 If you are a good god you will be worshiped
    YHWH-Thou shalt not take my name in vain
    Deals with contracts. Legal contracts no longer do this. Null and void
    YHWH-Thou shalt have no graven images of me
    Is The cross, ect graven images
    YHWH-Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy
    Why am I Remembeing the Sabbath again?
    YHWH-Honor thy mother and father
    Will this is a good guidling It fits more into the line of a proverb
    YHWH-Thou shalt not kill
    Extreme Hypocrite alert. You killed jesus. Also what about self defence?
    YHWH-Thou shalt not commit adultery
    Adultery is so much harder to do when you marry 7 wifes LOL
    YHWH-Thou shalt not steal
    Is stealing wrong when you steal from one who has abondace and you are starving. If so this law is moraly wrong.
    YHWH-Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour
    Alright,that's the first commandment I have no beef with

    YHWH-Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's stuff
    Greed is good. It drives the economy. Also note how the wife is below the house LOL equal god my butt.
    YHWH's commandments get a low 1/10.
    1.Never infringe on a persons freedoms.
    2. Never infringe on a persons Knowladge, or persuit of it
    3. Never do anything you would not want to happen to you.

    Thanks to treeco123


    LIGHT SIDE HAS CUPCAKES
    DARK SIDE OFFERS COOKIES
    JOIN THE DERPY SIDE.... WE GOT MUFFINS

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Back in the thick of battle!
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ebilly99 View Post
    YHWH-Thou shalt have no gods before me
    Wait why is this so important that it is #1 If you are a good god you will be worshiped
    Inaccurate. There are people who dislike and even become jealous of movie stars, athletes, etc., because they are good. Goodness does not guarantee that people will like you or give you the respect you deserve.

    Quote Originally Posted by ebilly99 View Post
    YHWH-Thou shalt not kill
    Extreme Hypocrite alert. You killed jesus. Also what about self defence?
    I've probably said this before, but don't be a "King James Only" atheist. That commandment, as many translations make clear, does not prohibit all killing. It prohibits murder. When the Son of God allowed Himself to be the sacrifice for sins, that is not God murdering Him.

    Sprites ripped by Yoshi Clone of spritersresource.com. Banner by my brother ShinySandshrew.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFightingPikachu View Post
    Inaccurate. There are people who dislike and even become jealous of movie stars, athletes, etc., because they are good. Goodness does not guarantee that people will like you or give you the respect you deserve.


    I've probably said this before, but don't be a "King James Only" atheist. That commandment, as many translations make clear, does not prohibit all killing. It prohibits murder. When the Son of God allowed Himself to be the sacrifice for sins, that is not God murdering Him.
    Oh ok I stand corrected. A human sacrifice not a murder got ya

    Thanks to treeco123


    LIGHT SIDE HAS CUPCAKES
    DARK SIDE OFFERS COOKIES
    JOIN THE DERPY SIDE.... WE GOT MUFFINS

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Exactly where I want to be
    Posts
    2,256

    Default

    Inaccurate. There are people who dislike and even become jealous of movie stars, athletes, etc., because they are good. Goodness does not guarantee that people will like you or give you the respect you deserve.
    Because demanding worship works so much better.

    You're my wife now!

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Back in the thick of battle!
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ebilly99 View Post
    Oh ok I stand corrected. A human sacrifice not a murder got ya
    In wars, many have allowed themselves to be killed so that their fellow soldiers can accomplish their mission. I hope you aren't trying to find fault.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the turtle View Post
    Because demanding worship works so much better.
    Your judgmental use of "demand" is like saying your country "demands" you recognize a ruler as a ruler. How barbaric!

    Sprites ripped by Yoshi Clone of spritersresource.com. Banner by my brother ShinySandshrew.

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Exactly where I want to be
    Posts
    2,256

    Default

    Your judgmental use of "demand" is like saying your country "demands" you recognize a ruler as a ruler. How barbaric!
    Indeed it is barbaric, glad you can see that.

    You're my wife now!

  12. #87
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SANTA'S POTATOES
    Posts
    47

    Default

    yes the ten comandments just keep people from doing what they want to do and call what they want to do "sins" even if i think they are moral
    thus why i am not Cristian

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Back in the thick of battle!
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the turtle View Post
    Indeed it is barbaric, glad you can see that.
    Then is your country really "Exactly where you want to be"? Are you admitting that your country has done a horrible thing just by having monarchs, or was your agreement just an easy way to hold onto your finding fault with God?

    Sprites ripped by Yoshi Clone of spritersresource.com. Banner by my brother ShinySandshrew.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Exactly where I want to be
    Posts
    2,256

    Default

    Then is your country really "Exactly where you want to be"? Are you admitting that your country has done a horrible thing just by having monarchs, or was your agreement just an easy way to hold onto your finding fault with God?
    Authority must be earned, never demanded arbitrarily. You know my opinions on the god of the New and Old Testaments so I shan't go into that. My point was that you using human psychology to explain why god didn't merely rest on his laurels, so to speak, is a bit flawed when you consider how human psychology also acts when confronted with what appear to be arbitrary demands to authority and worship.

    You're my wife now!

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Back in the thick of battle!
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the turtle View Post
    Authority must be earned, never demanded arbitrarily. You know my opinions on the god of the New and Old Testaments so I shan't go into that. My point was that you using human psychology to explain why god didn't merely rest on his laurels, so to speak, is a bit flawed when you consider how human psychology also acts when confronted with what appear to be arbitrary demands to authority and worship.
    Bringing the blind faith straw man (and stereotype) into this? Kudos to you for your free thinking causing you to follow just about every atheist/agnostic who has ever made any criticism of religion.

    Sprites ripped by Yoshi Clone of spritersresource.com. Banner by my brother ShinySandshrew.

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Exactly where I want to be
    Posts
    2,256

    Default

    Bringing the blind faith straw man (and stereotype) into this? Kudos to you for your free thinking causing you to follow just about every atheist/agnostic who has ever made any criticism of religion.
    What are you talking about? I did no such thing.

    You're my wife now!

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Back in the thick of battle!
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the turtle View Post
    What are you talking about? I did no such thing.
    But you did. It's right there in the word "arbitrarily."


    Did your mind move right from what I said to the conclusion that worship of God is arbitrary because "God does not exist" or "gives flimsy evidence"?

    Sprites ripped by Yoshi Clone of spritersresource.com. Banner by my brother ShinySandshrew.

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Exactly where I want to be
    Posts
    2,256

    Default

    Did your mind move right from what I said to the conclusion that worship of God is arbitrary because "God does not exist" or "gives flimsy evidence"?
    A command is arbitrary if it is given without justification. If god is making a command then he must exist, but he has to give some justification as to why he ought to be worshipped. What you were suggesting is that a command is all that is needed, because even if god were good, people might just hate him or be jealous. I'm suggesting that if that were the case, demanding worship is not actually going to help your case. I wasn't discussing gods existence at all, in fact I was actually assuming it for the sake of argument.

    You're my wife now!

  19. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the hydreigon View Post
    yes the ten comandments just keep people from doing what they want to do and call what they want to do "sins" even if i think they are moral
    thus why i am not Cristian
    Sin doesnt have to have religious connotations. Sinning is doing something wrong, religious or not. And the Ten Commandments are good moral guidelines. They dont keep people from doing what they want to do. You can break them all you want. Although, if what is to lie to everyone you know, kill your neighbor, rape his wife, and then steal all his goods, then you have some issues that need to be addressed.
    Looking for:
    Event Shiny dogs
    TRU Shaymin
    Rayquaza
    Groudon
    Kyogre
    Legendary birds


    I don't use "uber" Pokemon , I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar)

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Back in the thick of battle!
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the turtle View Post
    A command is arbitrary if it is given without justification. If god is making a command then he must exist, but he has to give some justification as to why he ought to be worshipped. What you were suggesting is that a command is all that is needed, because even if god were good, people might just hate him or be jealous. I'm suggesting that if that were the case, demanding worship is not actually going to help your case. I wasn't discussing gods existence at all, in fact I was actually assuming it for the sake of argument.
    Really? I find it hard to believe that you're assuming God's existence for the sake of argument.

    EDIT: Your posts here have made that far from clear.

    In any case, since you say you are, what about Jesus? In light of the claim of some that God should end suffering, hasn't the God who enters into that suffering on behalf of His creatures earned His worship?

    Sprites ripped by Yoshi Clone of spritersresource.com. Banner by my brother ShinySandshrew.

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Exactly where I want to be
    Posts
    2,256

    Default

    Really? I find it hard to believe that you're assuming God's existence for the sake of argument.
    Why?

    In any case, since you say you are, what about Jesus? In light of the claim of some that God should end suffering, hasn't the God who enters into that suffering on behalf of His creatures earned His worship?
    No, not from me. What a ghastly idea. If I am being tortured I want to be released, I don't want to see my captor torturing himself at the same time.

    EDIT: Your posts here have made that far from clear.
    Explain...
    Last edited by Tim the turtle; 17th May 2011 at 12:31 AM.

    You're my wife now!

  22. #97
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    1,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFightingPikachu View Post
    causing you to follow just about every atheist/agnostic who has ever made any criticism of religion.
    I see this criticism given all the time, but why is it necessary to be entirely original when pointing out what might be flaws in peoples beliefs? Whether the arguments are sound is what's important, and you had much more to say so I'm just picking this bit out as something that bothers me generally rather than something with you. It's like when phlogiston was debunked; did the all the believers fight back with 'pfft, I've heard that argument before'?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katya Ivanova View Post
    laughing at criticism probably isn't the best way to go about not being hideous
    inb4malanu

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Inna House... With Cable!!!
    Posts
    3,821

    Default

    I've probably said this before, but don't be a "King James Only" atheist. That commandment, as many translations make clear, does not prohibit all killing. It prohibits murder. When the Son of God allowed Himself to be the sacrifice for sins, that is not God murdering Him.
    Dude... The son of god commited suicide?!?

    So true!

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northampton, PA
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malanu View Post
    Dude... The son of god commited suicide?!?
    Sacrificing yourself does not equal suicide. Suicide comes from selfishness (in most cases). Sacrificing is the complete opposite.

    Say you pushed a little boy out of the way of a truck before it hits him, and it hits you instead. You knew you were going to die/be severely injured, but you did it to save someone else.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Inna House... With Cable!!!
    Posts
    3,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Piekid11 View Post
    Sacrificing yourself does not equal suicide. Suicide comes from selfishness (in most cases). Sacrificing is the complete opposite.

    Say you pushed a little boy out of the way of a truck before it hits him, and it hits you instead. You knew you were going to die/be severely injured, but you did it to save someone else.
    Yes I chose to die. I took my life to save another... it's still
    : the act or an instance of taking one's own life voluntarily and intentionally especially by a person of years of discretion and of sound mind.
    Per Webster!

    So true!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •