Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #20

I've got a few more

Curselix(revised)

Steelix@Life Orb /w/Sheer Force
    Nature: Adamant
    EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Hp
    IV's: 0 Spe

~Gyro Ball/Iron Tail/Heavy Slam/Dragon Tail/Fire Fang/Ice Fang/Thunder Fang/Sleep Talk/Rest/Earthquake/Stone Edge/Return
    ~Gyro Ball/Iron Tail/Heavy Slam/Dragon Tail/Fire Fang/Ice Fang/Thunder Fang/Sleep Talk/Rest/Earthquake/Stone Edge/Return
    ~Curse

This set is only to be used on a trick room team. After you set up a curse (after setting up trick room) you'll be outspeeding basically everything. With base 30 speed, gyro ball will be always doing lots of damage, as well as being STAB, although it is not good against bulky waters. Dragon tail if you want to force switches, elemental fangs for better coverage, stone edge for type coverage, earthquake for STAB, or rest/sleep talk if you want recovery.

Here's my first one:

I wall you unless you are water...

Onix@Eviolite /w/ Sturdy
    Nature: Impish
    EV's: 252 Hp, 4 Def, 252 Spd

~Stealth Rocks
    ~Rest
    ~Toxic
    ~Protect

With eviolite, onix gets massive defense, so there is no need to run EV's there, max HP plus max Spd means that it can take hits from both sides of the spectrum. Rest is it's only means of recovery, so it basically has to be included. Entry hazards are always nice, and you can set them up or toxic your opponents switch, depending on what pokes where in the team preview. Toxic is basically the only way for onix to inflict some signifigant damage, and protect works in conjunction with this, letting you scout your opponents moveset while stalling them out.

Resto/Chesto

Steelix@Chesto Berry /w/Sturdy
    EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Spd

~Rest
    ~Rock Polish
    ~Thunder Fang/Fire Fang/Ice Fang/Iron Head/Iron Tail/Dragon Tail/Stone Edge/Earthquake
    ~Thunder Fang/Fire Fang/Ice Fang/Iron Head/Iron Tail/Dragon Tail/Stone Edge/Earthquake

This set is meant for you to switch in on a physical attacker. You can set up a rock polish well they switch, then hit their switch hard. Thanks to sturdy, you only need to pull off a 2HKO (although you may want to lead with him as rocks may ruin your day), and then you can proceed with your sweep. Rest is to get off status as well as bringing you back to sturdy, which is awesome. The last three moves are whatever fits your team.

Fail/Flail

Steelix@Silk Scarf /w/Sturdy

~Flail
    ~Rock Polish
    ~Thunder Fang/Fire Fang/Ice Fang/Iron Head/Iron Tail/Dragon Tail

Basically you try to get a flail sweep. Really ruined by priority, and stealth rocks, but you can bring it in late game. You can use some of your other moves if you like, consider this a regular sweep. And when a bulky water comes in, FLAILFLAILFLAIL!!!

I have more, but I have to go.
    Last edited by 365pokemon; 16th May 2011 at 8:52 PM.

@^ No Earthquake on ANY of those sets? Seriously?
    Ignore, thanks.

What about a lead with the berry that speeds up and throw out stealth rocks first round and dragon tail to procrastinate your death. Idk throwing stuff out there
    Will breed dream world ability females for evolution stones and other items. if intrested PM me
    Female DW pokes i have:

also looking for a tornadus loan to get landlos

Steelix's options:

Abillity:
    Sheer Force: For boosting offensive power
    Sturdy: For surviving a OHKO. Defense or Setup
    Rock Head: For Double Edge, with is inferior to a lot of its other options

Item:
    Leftovers: For surviving
    Choice is a bad idea for steelix
    Life Orb: Works with Sheer Force for offence

Moves:
    STAB:

Steel: Gyro Ball works with its bad speed, but in an Automize set you should use Iron Head. Iron Head also an option in Sheer Force sets, for reliability.

Ground: Earthquake is its main STAB, and stronger than Sheer Force Bulldoze

Coverage:

Fangs are its main mean of coverage, and with Sheer Force and Life Orb they can do respectable damage.

With Sheer Force, Rock Slide is equally strong as Stone Edge, but more reliable and doesn't take Life Orb recoil

Crunch gets Sheer Force boost, so its stronger than boosted Payback

Support:

Stealth Rock: Obvious
    Toxic: Obvious

Other:

Automize to get some speed, and lowers damage from Low Kick/ Grass Knot, Making it better than Rock Polish
    Don't be misled by my low post count: I've been around for years.

Quote Originally Posted by stargod13 View Post
    What about a lead with the berry that speeds up and throw out stealth rocks first round and dragon tail to procrastinate your death. Idk throwing stuff out there
    Dragon Tail has -4 priority, which means it will more or less always move last, no matter what your speed.

And if you're talking about Sturdy + Custap, Custap doesn't give you priority. It's still -4.
    Besides, Crustle does that better.

I'm going to emphasise again, Bulldoze is for bulky Steelixes running Sheer Force and Life Orb wanting to prevent Life Orb recoil.

Also, Here's a list of things that stop Steelix:

Any Special attacking Fire type will OHKO with STAB Flamethrower.
    Anything running Focus Blast, Fire Blast, or Earth Power
    Bulky Ground types... Kinda, just avoid Toxic.
    Poison or Steel types that can take Earthquake, Like Gengar with Focus Blast or Skarmory. Or if you don't Levitate / Fly, hold a Balloon.
    Burning Steelix renders him unable to damage outside of Toxic
    Bulky water types
    Bulky Pokemon in general, just avoid Toxic.
    Electirc types that Fly or Levitate. Zapdoses with Substitute, Elecktross with Substitute.

Generalised: Bulky Pokemon that are not weak to Steel or Ground, and have Substitute or are immune to Toxic. Really I can't state them all. Oh, Reuniclus sets up freely.
    Ignore, thanks.

Curse you, Steelix!

Steelix @ Leftovers
    Trait: Rock Head
    Nature: Sassy (+SpD, -Spe)
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 SpD
    - Curse
    - Gyro Ball
    - Earthquake
    - Double-edge

Curse to increase its huge Attack and Defense stats more and more.
    And for Gyro Ball's power, which comes in. Also provides primary STAB.
    Earthquake for Steel and Fire-types mostly, and gives secondary STAB.
    Double-edge to hit hard almost everything, and no recoil. Best used atfer a couple of Curse.

Brutalix

Steelix @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpAtk)
    EVs: 252 Atk/128 SpD/128 Spe
    - Autotomize
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Fang
    - Rock Slide

Hit hard, and try to sweep.
    Autotomize halves the weight and gives +2 to Speed, which can be useful to outspeed some common choices.
    Earthquake for STAB and coverage.
    Ice Fang for Dragons and Ground-types.
    Rock Slide for coverage.

Physical Sweeper

Steelix @ Leftovers/Wide Lens
    Trait: Rock Head
    Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpAtk)
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    - Autotomize
    - Earthquake
    - Iron Tail
    - Double-edge

Classic physical sweeper set.
    Autotomize, like above.
    Earthquake and Iron Tail for STABs, and more accuracy thanks to Wide Lens (if you don't want them, go with Leftovers).
    Double-edge, you know the combo.

Back in the Serebii.net Forums!

Steelix I'm sure will get plenty of sets but.. Onix!

Onix @ Evolite
    Careful
    252 HP / 252 Special Defense / 4 Defense

Curse
    Dragon Tail
    Rest
    Sleep Talk

After a single Curse Onix can Rest off Earthquakes from Hippowdon and Swampert. If a Scarf Garchomp switches in on a Curse you can Curse again, then takes less than 33% from any further hit. With a sandstorm blowing Onix has effectively 162 base Special Defense so you will take quite a few hits as long as they aren't from a STAB Surf or something. You should be able to Rest off unboosted hits from Volcarona. Dragon Tail will do extremely little damage. Even at +4 Garchomp is just 3HKOed. The goal is to run Spikes / Stealth Rocks / Toxic Spikes and rely on that to kill, or for Onix to tank weak hits in lower tiers (though he won't last long even there).

The biggest problem here is that there is absolutely zero reason to use Onix over Rhydon besides I guess some speed.

Steelix @ Occa Berry / Leftovers
    Brave
    Sheer Force
    252 Attack / 252 HP / 4 Special Defense

Curse
    Gyro Ball
    Earthquake
    Fire Fang

Simple Curse set. Sheer Force gives Steelix a 95% accurate 86 base power Fire Fang. After one Curse Gyro Ball is hitting with 150 base power on anything with 240 speed or more, meaning Jolly Breloom, Gyarados etc. After a Curse Gyro Ball will 2HKO Gyarados after Stealth Rocks and Intimidate while it only 3HKOs back. Fire Fang 2HKOs most Skarmory and OHKOs Ferrothorn / Forretress / Scizor. Garchomp is OHKOed by +1 Gyro Ball about 60% of the time after Stealth Rocks and Salamence always is. Volcarona is OHKOed much of the time without rocks by Earthquake.

Some problems include Rotom Wash who resists all Steelix's moves and KOs with Hydro Pump or burns. Breloom can switch in and Spore as long as it avoids taking a Sheer Force Fire Fang. Balloon Heatran wins as long as it doesn't switch in on Gyro Ball. Not too much else can switch in completely for free. Even something like Jellicent can't OHKO and risks taking up to 80% from a +1 Earthquake.

This has probrably been done but its what i use:

Cursix
    Adamant
    Rock head
    Leftovers
    curse
    Gyro ball
    Earthquake
    Dragon tail/Double edge

Ive tried this and it works

Stallix
    Impish
    Sturdy
    Leftovers
    Toxic
    Stealth rock
    Protect
    Iron head
    I CALL DIBS ON DREAM WORLD ESPEON!
    ABILITY SO COOL
    ITS AWESOME.
    'Nuff said.

Lf modest DW poliwag offering adamant darumaka, and a few MALE dream world eevee's PM me if you have one.
    Also looking for shiny: Cryogonal, Heatmore and Trubbish.

I have plenty of Darumaka (2 boxes, Inner focus ones via breeding) and Eevees.

Crushix
    Steelix @ Iron Plate
    Moves:
    Earthquake
    Fire Fang
    Iron Tail
    Stone Edge

Gentle Nature
    EVs: HP 252, ATK 252, SP.def 4

Curse

Thunder Fang
    Rock Slide
    Earthquake
    Curse

Item:Life Orb Evs: 252HP 252Atk 4Spdef
    Nature:Adamant Ability:Sheer Force

Old set new ability. Curse to boost your attack and defense. Rock Slide and Earthquake are your attacking moves. If only he could have a 4th generation move w/ a dream world ability...I'd like to say Iron Head but it can't be so I choose Thunder Fang.

Pre Evolution Corner:
    Onix is pretty bad as far as it's typing goes. I mean there's Graveler, Rhydon,and Pupitar. All better than him....

Signature=Articuno

@Epic_Eevee: Listen. I meant OU, which Lugia is obviously not allowed. I know I'm not the best at this. C'mon. I've just got a stubborn side.

Also, I actually don't have WiFi, but I can still make teams. Metagross/Tyranitar/Lucario/Garchomp/Reuniclus/Ryperior is my current one I'm working on. I despise all the designs but two, and so I believe I know how to battle. Besides, that was a gimmick set.

Leaving this post to be discredited is not my doing.

Pointing out Steelix's only defence boosting move is Defence Curl, to save this from being Deleted. [ Edit: Curse is also a defense boosting move for him, I missed it. ]

EDIT: I truly am a newbie. Ok? Despite that, I know ENOUGH about Pokemon to get started. Also, I'll try out a better set than previously.

Better than my last set.
    Ability: Sheer Force
    Nature: Relaxed/Brave
    Item: Air Balloon/Passho Berry/Occa Berry/Chople Berry
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defence, 4 Atk
    -Dragon Tail
    -Earthquake
    -Curse
    -Gyro Ball

An OK wall, if I may state my opinion. 548 Maxed Defence is crazy high, and only super-effective moves cause enough damage [ Barring Special, ], so thats what the Berries and Balloon is for. Curse and Gyro Ball have good synergy together, and Dragon Tail causes switches, while Earthquake covers opposing Steels if they're not Skarmory or Bronzong. IF it gets demoted to UU, then Steelix will have an absolutely miraculous time there, and this set can prove deadly there, too.
    Last edited by WeatherEffectRain; 16th May 2011 at 10:18 PM.

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

Sass

Steelix@Leftovers /w/Sturdy
    Nature: Careful
    EV's: 252 Hp, 252 Spd, 4 Def
    IV's: 0 Spe

~Swagger
    ~Protect
    ~Toxic
    ~Gyro Ball/Rest

Even with plus two attack, if your opponent hits through the confusion, they won't do much damage. Protect is to use so even if they break through, they don't touch you, as well as stalling with toxic. Toxic is for more wearing down. Gyro ball is so you don't get hurt by taunt, but you could also run rest, for recovery.

I don't see why nobody uses this guy over skarmory in skarmbliss. Much higher defenses, and you could throw a vaporeon or celebi in there to take the either fire and water, or water and grass.

Quote Originally Posted by 365pokemon View Post
    I don't see why nobody uses this guy over skarmory in skarmbliss. Much higher defenses, and you could throw a vaporeon or celebi in there to take the either fire and water, or water and grass.
    He lacks instant recovery. Nuff said.

Okay, look here. Steelix IS Okay. No matter what Epic_Eevee says, he's still going to find his way onto teams.

BUT, I find he does have disadvantages. The biggest one I find is that Klingklang does his job better unless its PhysWalling, and he does it nearly as good. As well as that, Klingklang is able to Sweep where Steelix can only Tank. I feel like Klingklang will take over where Steelix left off.
    Last edited by WeatherEffectRain; 17th May 2011 at 6:45 PM.

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

It looks like Steelix is pretty well covered, but I do have some ideas for Onix.

[insert pun involving Onix and defensive stuff here]:
    Sturdy--Eviolite
    • Stealth Rock
    • Toxic
    • Curse/Harden/Double Team/Sandstorm/Protect/Roar/Dragon Tail/Rock Move/Ground Move
    • Curse/Harden/Double Team/Sandstorm/Protect/Roar/Dragon Tail/Rock Move/Ground Move
    EVs:252 SpDef/252Def/4HP, but you can mix Def and HP if you wanted
    Nature: Careful (^SpDef^/vSpAtkv)

Set up Stealth Rock, spew out Toxic, blahblahblah. You have a few options for the last two slots. Curse and Harden both raise Defense, it just depends on if you like the Speed drop or not (this set doesn't care much for attack). I threw in Double Team if you wanted to be annoying. Sandstorm is worth consideration because it boosts Onix's lame Sp.Def. Combine this with Eviolite, and the stat becomes quite respectable. Protect stalls Toxic, Roar/Dragon Tail both abuse SR,the former being more accurate, the latter more offensive. You can also choose Rock Slide or Earthquake or some other STAB if you want to go more offensive (more reason to use Curse).

I'm still thinking of a Steelix set, and also an offensive Onix set. I'll post any ideas I get.
    All your Kirby are belong to us! (>' . ')> (>' . ')>(>' . ')> (b^-^)b

I am proud to present my first wild shiny since the 3rd Generation, Magikarp!
    ...We all got to start somewhere, right?

FC: 0602-6317-4560
    Friend Safari: Electric-Pachirisu, Stunfisk, Manectric
    Add me if you want to, I'll add most anyone. Just shoot me a PM if you do.

Curse/Harden/Double Team/Sandstorm/Protect/Roar/Dragon Tail/Rock Move/Ground Move
    Always use curse over harden. Double team is illegal in standard play. Dragon tail over roar as some damage is better then no damage. Oh, and for rock move, you want stone edge, and for ground you want earthquake. No steel move, though?

Okay, look here. Steelix IS Okay. No matter what Epic_Eevee says, he's still oing to find his way onto teams.

BUT, I find he does have disadvantages. The biggest one I find is that Klingklang does his job better unless its PhysWalling, and he does it nearly as good. As well as that, Klingklang is able to Sweep where Steelix can only Tank. I feel like Klingklang will take over where Steelix left off.
    I agree. It also has a much more useable movset with things such as trick room.

Adamant/Jolly
    +Atk,-SpAtk/+Spd,-Atk
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    Muscle Band/ Life Orb

Swagger
    Psych Up
    Earthquake
    Thunder Fang/Ice Fang

I don't know of this works but I think if you use Swagger then you use Psych Up you get the Atk boost. Not smart if the pokemon's an Atk Sweeper. Then Earthquake gets STAB and is probably deadly if its power is multiplied by two. Thunder Fang takes care of Flying Pokemon since it can't really hit them if they're flying and it takes care of more flying types than Ice Fang. You could use Ice Fang instead since it has more coverage than an Electric move.

Brave/Adamant
    +Atk,-Spd/+Atk,-SpAtk
    252 Atk, 252 SpDef
    Muscle Band/Life Orb

Curse
    Gyro Ball
    Earthquake
    Thunder Fang/Ice Fang/Payback

Curse increases Atk and Def, then lowers its already super low Speed so it doesn't really matter. Then Gyro Ball's power is increased since most Pokemon are faster than a Steelix. Earthquake gets STAB. Thunder Fang and Ice Fang have the same reasons as above. Then you could use Payback since it's super slow now so its power is doubled.

To take care of Steelix, basically any super effective special moves with stab. Flamethrower, Ice Beam, blah blah blah.

Onix is faster than Steelix. With the new item the Eviolite, it has pretty good defenses. It gets STAB with rock moves which are stronger than most of Steelix's steel moves.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 17th May 2011 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Forgot items... AGAIN...

by the way... when was Sheer Force ever released? Because I'm pretty sure it hasn't been, making any sheer force set illegal for now...
    Dragons are my friend, Ice is my foe...
    (Kyurem is an exception) dragonics rule

-Let us hope for gen 6 to turn out well!

Default Offensive Steelix

-Ice Fang
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge / Rock Slide
    -Iron Tail / Iron Head
    Item Attached: Life Orb/ Muscle Band
    Ability: Sheer Force
    Adamant (+atk,-spatk)
    Pretty basic offensive Steelix. Ice Fang is for ground types. Ice Fang is for ground types. Earthquake is for STAB, and has a ridiculous power, combined with the life orb. Stone Edge is a powerful rock type attack, although Rock Slide is more reliable. Same as before, Iron Tail is strong, and Iron Head is reliable. Life orb is good, although I like the muscle band as it slightly boosts attack and you don't lose health. Steelix's defense is good enough, so work on attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragrath View Post
    by the way... when was Sheer Force ever released? Because I'm pretty sure it hasn't been, making any sheer force set illegal for now...
    Yes it is illegal for any wifi games right now. But the POTW is gonna be here for a long time so if there ever comes out an onix/steelix with it's hidden ability Reno will Always have it ready if needed. There are a lot a sets out like the Serperior which focuses on the Hidden Ability more because it's better competively.

Although I wish the Global Link will do like a vote where every week/month we can choose a pokemon to catch in the DW that will have it's hidden ability. Maybe not even a vote but a random number genearator like the POTW. All the pokemon with the Dream World abilities should be released giving them set with having DW abilities.
    Last edited by Shinepoke; 17th May 2011 at 2:40 AM.
    It's Brain Never Gets a Chance to Grow? Doesn't matter with it's Powerful Skull.

#409 Rampardos {}--
    OT: Akram-- ID: 21461
    Fossilized in Nacrene City
    Nature: Jolly~Ability: Mold Breaker
    Hidden Power: Dark 70
    Ivs: 31/31/31/23/31/31
    Evs: 4/252/0/0/0/252

Quote Originally Posted by Dragrath View Post
    No, but its easier to just list them now as opposed to coming back in ~6 months and update everything with DW abilities.

Fail/Flail

Steelix@Silk Scarf /w/Sturdy

~Flail
    ~Rock Polish

Basically you try to get a flail sweep. Really ruined by priority, and stealth rocks, but you can bring it in late game. You can use some of your other moves if you like, consider this a regular sweep. And when a bulky water comes in, FLAILFLAILFLAIL!!!
    Forgot to put stone edge and earth quake as the last two move slots. Oh, and balloon is more effective so you don't get messed up by entry hazards. You COULD put endure there just in case your opponent doesn't kill you.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast