Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed Boost Combusken

Default Speed Boost Combusken

I'm sure many of us are disappointed at Blaziken's Smogon ban. However I wonder if, despite being substantially weaker, Combusken has any competitive viability with Speed Boost.

This is all still theory, but I imagine him having a set like this:

Combusken@Eviolite/Focus Sash
    Adamant
    Speed Boost
    252 Atk, 252 Spd, 6 HP
    - Swords Dance
    - Sky Uppercut
    - Shadow Claw/Flare Blitz
    - Protect

Either item helps Combusken survive long enough to boost his stats. Sky Uppercut is the most reliable STAB he has.
    Shadow Claw provides near perfect coverage with Sky Uppercut, and Flare Blitz is by far his strongest move. Though I wouldn't use it because of his low HP.
    And of course, Protect for free Speed Boosting and scouting.

I'm not suggesting that this can break the game like his big brother did, but I'm sure he can still be useful with his new ability.
    What're everyone's thoughts on this?
    Pokemon X Friend Code: 3738-0826-8883. In-Game Name: JB, Mii Name: Horus

My Gen VI Trade Shop, JB's Tenacious Depot

Evolite gives him 60/99/99 defenses with those EVs so hes still going to drop to most hard hits and 85 base attack isn't going to sweep much. Hes still a better Pokemon than Ninjask though..

Running Combusken defensively seems to be effective.

Combusken@Eviolite
    Adamant / Careful
    Speed Boost
    252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Bulk Up
    Sky Uppercut
    Flare Blitz / Shadow Claw
    Shadow Claw / Protect

1st thing's first, it isn't Blaziken where it has paper thin defences compared to the rest of the tier. Protect helps you grab Speed Boosts but Shadow Claw is generally better as it can be used for coverage. Just my 2 cents.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

^

That has base stats of 60 HP / 85 Attack / 99 Defense / 115 Special Defense. After a Bulk up you will gain about enough defense to survive a Garchomp Earthquake, but you're still hitting like a twig. Capitalize on its defenses and just run SD + Protect like Blaziken and try to Baton Pass something more dangerous in.

Also, you can just use sharpedo if you want a speed booster now.
    My Black fc is 1506 5025 4813 (IGN Squee). My SS fc is 4727 2125 2484 (IGN Squee)
        Spoiler:- DW Females:

I am looking for a modest or timid heatran UT or EV'd in 4th gen or knowing dragon pulse and a modest/timid thundurus UT or EV'd with HP [Ice].
    [IMG]http://i56.*******.com/2hz7taw.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i43.*******.com/k1ph81.png[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Hes still a better Pokemon than Ninjask though..
    Lol, ain't that the truth.

I can see this little guy working pretty well in the lower tiers. Sharpedo sort of outclasses him as a Swords Dance sweeper, but a Baton Pass role would be very nice when it becomes legal. Combusken has good enough STAB moves to hurt stuff when it gets the chance, and it has a little bulk with an Evolite. This is more than Ninjask can say, and he was OU in 4th Gen.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Lol, ain't that the truth.

I can see this little guy working pretty well in the lower tiers. Sharpedo sort of outclasses him as a Swords Dance sweeper, but a Baton Pass role would be very nice when it becomes legal. Combusken has good enough STAB moves to hurt stuff when it gets the chance, and it has a little bulk with an Evolite. This is more than Ninjask can say, and he was OU in 4th Gen.
    Sharpedo does not get Swords Dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamefreak View Post
    Sharpedo does not get Swords Dance.
    Lol, sorry. I meant Speed Boost sweeper. XD

Try 252HP 252 Atk. After one boost, it still will be pretty fast and can actually take a hit.
    Start playing ubers, not OU. Serebii needs more ubers players!

Join my new forum:

http://rayquazasheaven.freeforums.org/index.php

Credit to J-Master!

Will not be active on weekdays due to school.

I highly disagree on the ninjask hate. give it protect and a focus sash and it can get you plenty of boosts. with base 90 attack it can do some serious damage if necessary.

I have claimed Giratina

I tried Combusken lately and it didnt work at all. A note for you guys, all released DW starters are male, so they cant have Egg Moves at least for now.
    Comb is quiet bulky with Eviolite, but she lacks good move to use. The only physical Fire move it gets is Flare Blitz which will likely kill Comb after recoil.

If only it gets Blaze Kick...

speed boost combusken with protect is insane

Founder Of TOTW
    War record 9/0/0
    Smogon rank 1345 (peak)
    8/8 OSL Basges
    Unbeaten on wifi
    But does it really matter.......

Why the hell would you use Focus Sash on this?

The ONLY REASON you should be using Combusken over Blaziken is for Eviolite, which is a piss-poor argument for a frailish sweeper Pokemon with no recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by a person View Post
    Why the hell would you use Focus Sash on this?

The ONLY REASON you should be using Combusken over Blaziken is for Eviolite, which is a piss-poor argument for a frailish sweeper Pokemon with no recovery.
    But in smogon, blaziken was banned to Ubers. As posted above, eviolite combusken sucks.

An adamant swords dance set reaches 590 attack and 313 speed with a single turn. It sounds like it'd be hard to get up, but Combusken has Fire Stab, so it would be incredibly easy to come in on Ferrothorn, Fortress, Scissor, ect. and get a swords dance up.

Flare blitz hits everything at least neutrally except Rock, Water, Dragon, and Fire. Sky uppercut handles Rocks, along with most Fire/Water types. After that, try shadow claw for Chandalure and Jellicent, along with some more neutral coverage. Rock slide hits Dragon/Flying though, along with Gyrados.
    I would suggest...
    Adamant/252att/252speed
    Speed Boost/Focus Sash
    -Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Sky Uppercut
    -Rock Slide/Shadow Claw
    Personally, I'd choose Rock Slide. Night Slash could be used over shadow claw, but that isn't legal yet.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Actually, if you let Ninjask get in 2 Swords Dances, it can OHKO Dialga with Dig, so it's not COMPLETELY terrible.

Why use Combuskin when we have Infernape? No Speed Boost, true, but Ape still has more power and two STAB priority moves
    Credit to Arkeis

White FC: 1936 1308 4535

Your pain is the simple bread and butter to my plan, yet your defeat will be the sweet, sweet mustard. MUSTARD OF YOUR DOOM!!! - Fawful

Quote Originally Posted by Karpi View Post
    Actually, if you let Ninjask get in 2 Swords Dances, it can OHKO Dialga with Dig, so it's not COMPLETELY terrible.
    Anything with +4 and decent attack isn't completely terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSkull94 View Post
    Why use Combuskin when we have Infernape? No Speed Boost, true, but Ape still has more power and two STAB priority moves
    It's a matter if you want Priority/Power or Speed. I'd choose combusken.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

I've used Speed Boost Combusken alot. and It sucks ***. =/ It's not a wise choice to put in any team. Unless it's a lower Tier team.

I wouldn't use it. It might work on lower tiers but even a Ferrothorn KO's this thing with Absorb. And Eviolite is even more terrible since it's attack power is far too low. Just use sharpedo or play UU/RU/NU.

Spoiler:- Credits:

I would never EVER use combusken, except in maybye RU, otherwise infernape is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better. Why even consider using combusken in OU with that poor 85 base atk?
    What was that Regarde. I couldn't hear you with all of that dick in your mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by D-idara View Post
    Well, actually Blaziken isn't really Uber because some people whined about how they were getting owned by it. I mean, it doesn't stand a chance in the Uber enviroment.

And Reuniclus...i see everyone using him, could you tell me any actual advantages over Musharna?

Infernape is sexy. Simple as that.

I would use it in OU.

Quote Originally Posted by NeohopeSTF View Post
    I would use it in OU.
    over infernape????
    What was that Regarde. I couldn't hear you with all of that dick in your mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by D-idara View Post
    Well, actually Blaziken isn't really Uber because some people whined about how they were getting owned by it. I mean, it doesn't stand a chance in the Uber enviroment.

And Reuniclus...i see everyone using him, could you tell me any actual advantages over Musharna?

Quote Originally Posted by NeohopeSTF View Post
    I would use it in OU.
    I would for the lols. But Infernape outclasses it.

Spoiler:- Credits:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast