Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Garchomp Banned Once Again

Default Garchomp Banned Once Again

Smogon announced yesterday morning that Garchomp has once again been banished to Ubers.

From Smogon:

"In case you weren't aware, OU suspect testing round 4 finished the other day, and the voting has been going on since then. First, the Non-Pokemon Voting finished, resulting in no bans. Just last night, the Pokemon Voting ended, resulting in Excadrill, Latios, and Deoxys-S being OU, Thundurus being put on watch due to obtaining a simple majority, and Garchomp being banned by supermajority! Yes, that's right, Garchomp is banned from OU... Again! In response to this ban, the Dream World and BW OU tiers on the Pokemon Online server have had their ladders reset for the new period. Partake of the new suspect testing round 5 and see how you fare in a metagame without Garchomp!" ~Rising_Dusk

This thread is to discuss how this will effect the BW OU Metagame. Personally, I think that we will see a slight drop in the number of Sand teams that are used, which, based on the massive amount of them I've seen on PO, will improve Poke-diversity and make things more interesting.

I also think that we will see a sharp rise in the usage of Salamence and Haxorus. People will want another dragon with huge, Garchomp-esque offenses to take Garchomp's place. Dragonite is already extremely prevalent as a bulky dragon, but I think these two dragons, which have thusfar lived in the shadow of Garchomp, will find dramatically increased usage.

What does everyone else think?
    Looking for legit Flawless and Near-Flawless Pokemon!

it's about ****ing time. i voted chomp uber but i didn't think the support was there but 55-17 LOL. landorus is the obvious replacement for garchomp on sand teams so i'm guessing landorus usage will go up. doubt it will crack top 10 or even top 15 for that matter since it's typing is redundant with gliscor who was on the standard rotom-w/jirachi/gliscor/garchomp/tyranitar/reuniclus teams. o well. looking forward to a much better meta

god damnit, i was making a team to counter garchomp. Back to the drwaing board....
    Yep we should ban baton pass, and weather too. Oh and Trick Room, I'm tired of having to worry about Trick Room all the time. Just ban the move Trick Room, and prankster, it's broken. Ban all status moves on prankster users, they're too cheap. Oh and ban Probopass to it's so cheap. Just ban everything except Magikarp with splash.
    Well, actually Blaziken isn't really Uber because some people whined about how they were getting owned by it. I mean, it doesn't stand a chance in the Uber enviroment.

This will definitely cause an increase in the amount of people that use Salamence. He may be the next to be banned, just like in 4th gen as history repeats itself.
    Don't ban Thundurus, he's too awesome!
    "Love without truth is not real love, truth without love is not real truth"
    [IMG]http://oi51.*******.com/qn1ftl.jpg[/IMG]
    Credit to Wolftamer
        Spoiler:- Quote:

Crap, that means Garchomp can't be on my OU team anymore...

Man, my team had Chomp. Guess I'm going to have to change it.

Wait, I don't get something. Is latios banned too? And if it isn't, it has base 110 speed compared to garchomp's speed of 102.
    PKMN White FC:3696-9536-5314
    PM me if you want me to rate your team!

Random Matchup Score(singles): 174 wins, 38 losses
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R136a1
    ^My favorite star!

My copy-pasters:
    73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this in your signature. (started by Jay-X)

The Gay Thread Amnesty Plea- Let's have some common sense. A ban on all threads relating to issues of Homosexuality for at least a month. Yes I have taken Amnesty ever so slightly out of context but I imagine you get my drift.
    (Snorunt conservationist)

wow another easy poke to beat banned...i honestly dont care it's not like he was hard to beat anyways, harder than some but not really for me

RIP Ice Grabbers
    Super Smash Bros. Melee - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Nana you're too smart for a 3DS.
    *credit to PurpleBlitz for drac stuff*

Quote Originally Posted by irock245 View Post
    god damnit, i was making a team to counter garchomp. Back to the drwaing board....
    Just put a Weavile in your team and everything will stay the same!
    I don't use "uber" Pokemon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar)

Demon Fox Trainer
    ~ignis~
    I claim DW "Under-The-Sun" Ninetails

Cherio Chomp, you won't be missed on my behalf :P
    Pal Safari:
    3DS FC: 4768-7772-4721
    I can EV train ANY pokemon for you in less than 1 hour, from the moment you send it to me, PM if interested

Here's my XY Trade Shop have a look and see if there i anything you like:
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...eeding-centre1

If Thundurus gets banned on the next check, then Zapdos will be back to OU.

I have seen Garchomp used in tournaments it is a definite threat for its evasion but it can be countered though.
    I wonder why they banned it that badly?

How can you say no to this little one?

Credit goes to:
    Tyranitarquake for the Banner!
    arceusvictini for the Userbar!
    PikaPal_Lyra for the Flying High Icon!

I never had much of a problem with him. Any decent ice attack does the job. Maybe I just don't play against experienced battlers.
    (I didn't make the puzzle, I just completed it.)

70% of the Serebii population uses ultra powerful legendaries (also known as ubers) in their teams. If you are one of the 30% that thinks outside the box and doesn't use ubers, copy and paste this into your signature! (Started by SapphireL)

Quote Originally Posted by TTNH03 View Post
    I have seen Garchomp used in tournaments it is a definite threat for its evasion but it can be countered though.
    I wonder why they banned it that badly?
    That's the whole reason why it's banned. Its ability is entirely luck-based, and Smogon hates luck factors.

It'd be nice to see fewer sand teams, but even with the Chomp ban, I still don't think there will be fewer sand teams, just due to the fact that the whole metagame atm is based on weathers.

I saw them ocassionally, and they were quite a threat, im actually kinda happy that its banned.
    weird thing is, i like ss teams and chomp wouldve done good in one.

I hate Garchomp. Hate, hate, hate, hate it...

It still means I'm going to have to change out my OU team, though.

Wooooooohoooooooooooooooo

And next time all thunderbro needs is a simple majority, so I can finally stop running spdef rachi on all my teams!

not a big fan of pseudolegends, especially garchomp, i think he fits in Ubers.
    Have a nice day

Black FC: 3911-6974-2268
    -STUNFISK LAUGHS AT YOU!-

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present."

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

About time, I'm sick of seeing it everywhere.

To bad it wasn't banned from random match-up to....
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

My only question is why Latios is firmly OU in this metagame, while it's been pretty much sent straight to Ubers in every other gen. ..Same with Deoxys, actually. Is there something major that I'm missing here? Did 5th gen. really weaken them that much? o.0
    3DS FC:1848 2955 3635 IGN: Cannibal

Free Pokemon for you! =D
    No longer taking RNG requests at the moment; too busy squeeing over X and Y. x)

I can breed in English and German in Kalos. ;o

2/23/2014: National Pokedex completed! =D

@cannibaleyes: 5th gen gave us Ferrothorn and significantly increased the popularity of specially defensive Tyranitar and specially defensive Jirachi, the latter two of which were rather impractical during some of gen IV (though special defensive Rachi was okay then). All of these are pretty hard counters to Latios and also have a ton of other use.

Quote Originally Posted by cannibaleyes View Post
    My only question is why Latios is firmly OU in this metagame, while it's been pretty much sent straight to Ubers in every other gen. ..Same with Deoxys, actually. Is there something major that I'm missing here? Did 5th gen. really weaken them that much? o.0
    It's probably because Soul Dew isn't available in 5th Gen yet?
    White FC:
    Lux : 0819-3077-8499

Soul Silver FC:
    Ceti : 5415-0968-7519

I think Dragonite is the best Dragon this Gen. Multiscale is such a crazy ability. Get some spin support and you have a crazy DD sweeper right there. Plus it could shut down Chomp and K.O. it. So if Dragonite and Weavile aren't enough, I don't know what is for Chomp to stay down.
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself...where the heck is the ceiling?
    -Anonymous

DW Females:

Wanted: UT Jolly/Timid Uxie. Preferably Timid.
    DW Female Tyrogue or DW Jolly Tyrogue.

My Current Team: (I like to make lots.)

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=519126

Quote Originally Posted by epic_eevee View Post
    @cannibaleyes: 5th gen gave us Ferrothorn and significantly increased the popularity of specially defensive Tyranitar and specially defensive Jirachi, the latter two of which were rather impractical during some of gen IV (though special defensive Rachi was okay then). All of these are pretty hard counters to Latios and also have a ton of other use.
    I guess that makes sense, but it's still hard to believe that one or two counters would change things that drastically... Although I suppose it could. Still, those pokemon could have been used back them to counter it, they just weren't as common.

Quote Originally Posted by IceTacos View Post
    It's probably because Soul Dew isn't available in 5th Gen yet?
    This makes sense, I suppose, since if I remember correctly, that item was one of the main reasons it was banned in the first place (or at least the item was).

So, what about Deoxys? Then again, it was Deoxys-A that was banned to Ubers first, in 4th gen., right?

Anyway, on the topic of Chomp, I think he deserved to get banished to Ubers in 5th gen. especially, considering the popularity of weather teams this metagame (including sandstorm). IIRC, it was his ability in sandstorm that sent him to Ubers in 4th gen., too.
    3DS FC:1848 2955 3635 IGN: Cannibal

Free Pokemon for you! =D
    No longer taking RNG requests at the moment; too busy squeeing over X and Y. x)

I can breed in English and German in Kalos. ;o

2/23/2014: National Pokedex completed! =D

I wouldn't say Haxorus is shadowed by Garchomp with that 147 base attack, access to DragonDance, and able to hit levitaters with Earthquake. If you want to kill the foes Garchomp, Just get your spec'ed/scarfed Froslass to use Ice Beam(or Blizzard depending on your team). Garchomps are still worthy of the ubers though. I'm gonna have to change my Sandstorm team though...

Credit to FrostStorm for the banner; YOU ARE MAJESTIC FROSTSTORM

3DS FC: 4940 6396 1803

"Because I am the man... who made a typo in his own name while registering..."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast