Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Garchomp Banned Once Again

Banning Salamence would be a shame imo. In ubers it is completely outclassed by Rayquaza apart from Wish and Intimidate, so it wouldn't find any use at all there, while Rayquaza has much better offensive stats, better bulk, swords dance, extremespeed, and several more toys that Salam doesn't get like ice beam and thunderbolt.
    Master balls are the cheapest thing ever invented. It's more fun catching everything with balls that can fail. 'caught Latios in the wild without master ball ftw'

Chomp did seem to be on all teams, and was nearly impossible to outspeed without trick room, which you may not even get in if chomp has had enough time to power up.

Sig credit: Extroph. I still love you Azu!! And pkmnfn for the userbar :3

Psychotic Revolution Xat

(01:20:25) *** Your rank in Standard OU is 139/49693 [1341 points / 99 battles]! *I suck at laddering*

All of you guys are saying the same thing! Aw man...in-game online battles...ya...

If only Game Freak and Smogon teamed up to make a game that's connected to their tier and rule listings, that would be awesome but it will never happen.

I don't want Thundurus to go but meh, whatever floats the boat. They're also voting if they should rid of weather or not (Sandstorm having the most votes to be banned).
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    They're also voting if they should rid of weather or not (Sandstorm having the most votes to be banned).
    You misread the poll. Sand had by far the least number of Uber votes. Drizzle was the only one that was remotely close to being banned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaveli
    The user above is me, a major sleazy wh0re!!

Quote Originally Posted by calze6 View Post
    Never liked chompy... Besides, now people will realise its potential in ubers!
    I've never played Ubers, but I'm quite sure that people knew it was an effective Pokemon to use back in 4th gen, and there can't be too much that's changed there since then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sceptile Leaf Blade View Post
    Banning Salamence would be a shame imo. In ubers it is completely outclassed by Rayquaza apart from Wish and Intimidate, so it wouldn't find any use at all there, while Rayquaza has much better offensive stats, better bulk, swords dance, extremespeed, and several more toys that Salam doesn't get like ice beam and thunderbolt.
    Not necessarily. People use the "double dragon" strategy, where (given that Mence and Rayquaza have similar counters) one DD's up, does as much damage as possible to it's main counter, and dies. The other one then finishes off the counter, and makes hay with the rest of the team, who can't deal with it as well.

Effectiveness in the uber 'metagame' has nothing to do with banning broken Pokemon. If it's too good for standard, it's too good.

Why do I keep posting in Competitive when I'm retired?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxEpicsxX View Post
    Everything's possible, but that doesn't make it likely.
    ^What PAD needs to learn

Spoiler:- Misc in a nutshell:

Deyoxys S shouldn't be OU! Smogon doesn't respect it enough. So is Latias, just a little. But Deoxys S is definitely Uber. Now everyone is going to lead with it (probably, I don't know yet)
    "Neo" New banner UP!

Quote Originally Posted by arbiter7x View Post
    Deyoxys S shouldn't be OU! Smogon doesn't respect it enough. So is Latias, just a little. But Deoxys S is definitely Uber. Now everyone is going to lead with it (probably, I don't know yet)
    It fast, yet it doesn't have bulk and offense, that's why it isn't uber.

Not to mention that Prankster Pokemon can Taunt it faster.

Quote Originally Posted by a person View Post
    And here's the funny part, we need our suspects to check our other suspects!

a ton of **** > Excadrill > Thundurus > Deoxys-S and Latios > a ton of ****

Smells like Flygon is going to make a return as the premier Scarf Dragon.

I don't see Excadril getting ubered I just see Sandstorm getting banned.

Yes that is a Female Dino Charge Red. It's a FanFic thing
    3DS FC: 3995-6518-0794

Quote Originally Posted by a person View Post
    Deoxys-S can use Magic Coat to deflect Taunt. It has +3 priority iirc so Prankster doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorg View Post
    I doubt this as of right now. His attack power sucks by this gens high standards so I doubt Flygon will stack up. He will remain a great UU though. Landorus is the closer replacement with similar attack, similar speed, access to STAB EQ, though he might not be able to deal with Dragons like Chomp did. He will also replace him on most generic Sand teams since they often used Chomp over Landorus, though he will be a natural fit in place of Garchomp there as well. Landorus is an awesome poke, and Garchomp is the only reason I can think of that his usage would be as low as it is, but that will likely change.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorg View Post
    Salamence? Same speed with superior stats and when it's release (or if you are on PO) moxie. It also has that ground type immunity and a broader move-pool. It's just generally superior. Flygon will, as d0nut said, will become a huge threat in the lower tiers however.
    Garchomp is a bit sad really. It's just I wouldn't imagine it will get much respect within uber. Oh well, I never use it so it can only be a positive.

This tier list doesn't apply to random matchup does it? just like, an agreed upon list among battlers right?

If it applied to random matchup that's be awesome because I HATE playing people from japan with 1200 wins and latios and garchomp. Seriously I just quit before the battle starts.

A Garchomp once beat my Salamence causing me to lose my streak of wins online. Goodbye Garchomp.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

This is going to descend into a cess pit of morons stating "But Weavile and Mamoswine beat Garchomp, so it shouldn't be Uber!"

Personally, I think it's about damn time Garchomp was removed from OU. It brought an uncompetitive aspect to the Metagame, and was a generally unhealthy addition. It turned your 100% accuracy moves into Stone Edge, and we all know Stone Edge never hits. Obviously, the drop of Garchomp usage means Dragons like Dragonite and Salamence will be given a lot more attention - which is interesting, since MixMence is just as devastating this Generation as it was last, if not more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbeller View Post
    It's just I wouldn't imagine it will get much respect within uber.
    Before others try to justify Garchomp staying Uber with this argument, can I just say that it's both wrong and invalid. ScarfGarchomp is one of the better checks to more formidable threats in Ubers, meaning it's usage will likely be respectable as far as Ubers usage stats go. Not to mention, Ubers is not in essence a tier list - Pokemon are not put there based on whether they are viable or not, they are put there because they were deemed too strong for OU. I won't say outright that "Ubers isn't a tier", because currently, it probably is, given the fact many official Smogon tournaments use it as a tier for battlers to play in.

Chomp + Banned = <3
    All I need now is thundurus + ban

Quote Originally Posted by PoignantLyrics View Post
    Before others try to justify Garchomp staying Uber with this argument, can I just say that it's both wrong and invalid. ScarfGarchomp is one of the better checks to more formidable threats in Ubers, meaning it's usage will likely be respectable as far as Ubers usage stats go. Not to mention, Ubers is not in essence a tier list - Pokemon are not put there based on whether they are viable or not, they are put there because they were deemed too strong for OU. I won't say outright that "Ubers isn't a tier", because currently, it probably is, given the fact many official Smogon tournaments use it as a tier for battlers to play in.
    Sandstorm isn't as common in ubers, and I didn't say it should be OU, where it is broke. Ice is also more common in ubers and I don't think Garchomp likes that. And I was wondering... what formidable threats does it check? if anyone is smart they will be careful with their flyings, and ices generally KO with Ice Shard so... I honestly don't think it is quarter as good against the opponents as in OU.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbeller View Post
    Sandstorm isn't as common in ubers, and I didn't say it should be OU, where it is broke. Ice is also more common in ubers and I don't think Garchomp likes that. And I was wondering... what formidable threats does it check? if anyone is smart they will be careful with their flyings, and ices generally KO with Ice Shard so... I honestly don't think it is quarter as good against the opponents as in OU.
    @bolded: Palkia, Dialga, Kyogre, CM Mewtwo, NP Darkrai, DD Rayquaza, SD Rayquaza (iirc you live the ESpeed without Rocks up) CM Steel/Dragon/Rock Arceus, Ho-oh, +1 Blaziken without Protect, Reshiram, and Zekrom.

Garchomp is arguably one of the best lategame cleaners in Uber too, it's worth mentioning -- a huge number of teams are naturally slightly weak to it, and it's ridiculously easy to clear away counters for it. tl;dr, do not make assumptions without actually playing the tier first. Theorymonning is good, but only if you know what you're talking about.

Ice isn't more common in Ubers than OU. The only common mons that run Ice Beam are Kyogre, Lugia, and Manaphy. Ice Shard is basically unused in Ubers barring really rare stuff like Weavile and Mamoswine.

The reason that Garchomp is in Ubers, is Mainly because of his speed, With a Scarf, Garchomp becomes the most broken thing bar SS+Drizzle. He then trolls the 100 speed, ALOT
    If any one wonders if hes gonna be unbanned
    Quote Originally Posted by reachzero
    The final vote for Garchomp is 55-17 Ban; this exceeds the 2/3+1 supermajority, and thus Garchomp will henceforth be banned from OU play
    For the rest of the suspects
    Thundurus=Ban, Get the **** out.
    Reuniclus-This guy has been in a few voting rounds, Unless it gets Aura Sphere somehow, He probably won't be banned
    Dexoys-s- The only thing that annoys me is the random low kick ones
    Excadrill- its ok if it gets banned, but it doesnt desevre to

Quote Originally Posted by lucario44444444 View Post
    The reason that Garchomp is in Ubers, is Mainly because of his speed, With a Scarf, Garchomp becomes the most broken thing bar SS+Drizzle. He then trolls the 100 speed, ALOT
    ScarfChomp was one of, if not, the best revenge killer in the tier, but it wasn't the reason why he was broken at all. It was the fact that Sand Veil could give it a free turn, and when something as strong as Chomp gets a free turn, thats enough to single handedly turn an entire match around and we would rather players be rewarded by skill, not a lucky Sand Veil miss.

YESSS!

so happy
    Black Version 2 FC: 4943 5487 2983

I actually kinda saw this coming, which is why I avoided putting a Garchomp on my SS team... Not like it's finished anyhow. As for the other Pokemons that were being tested, Exadrill will probably never get the votes unless new stuff is released (move tutors, event moves, etc), Latios (and Latias) will be Uber again if the Soul Dew is legal again (since there is no way to get one right now), and Deoxy-S isn't the best lead in the game now due to Prankster. Thundurus is a maybe.
    Gen VI Pokedex, here I come!
    Gen V National Pokédex: 649/649

3DS FC: 3239-3604-9829

Chomp is mainly a threat in the sand. Out of it, its still good but has more counters.

Credit goes to Mochi10 for the team pose and trophy

Credit goes to PPL for the life of pokemons

Quote Originally Posted by d0nut View Post
    ScarfChomp was one of, if not, the best revenge killer in the tier, but it wasn't the reason why he was broken at all. It was the fact that Sand Veil could give it a free turn, and when something as strong as Chomp gets a free turn, thats enough to single handedly turn an entire match around and we would rather players be rewarded by skill, not a lucky Sand Veil miss.
    Yep! Another reason why Garchomp's Broken, Subdance in the sand was the most annoying thing on earth

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast