Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Community POTW #25

the main reason to use whiscash is to switch into sawsbuck or other sapsippers or to switch in on a ryperior or any lightning type with a limited to almost only lightning type attack movepool
    it can be used to set up toxic in the rain so it can rest sub until the foe faints
    Black FC: 4813 8077 9726
    Currently looking for cutsap or salac/lechei berries

Title: Whiscash is a Dragon?
    Ability: Hydration. On this set, kinda random but works great with rain dancers. At least you can rid of Toxic.
    Nature: Adamant (this is a Physical set with no special moves)

OK. I now what you're thinking. How on earth can you make an offensive set with a Whiscash. With only a base 78 Attack and a base 60 speed its hard to believe. CurseCash would work well in trick room but this set focuses around Dragon Dance.

-Dragon Dance
    -Earthquake
    -Aqua Tail/Waterfall/Dive
    -Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Fissure

Dragon Dance is what this set is based about. Raise your attack and speed and use Whiscash's 110 base HP to take some hits. Earthquake is a must as its your STAB ground attack with 100 base power now 150 base power after factoring in STAB with Dragon dance boosts not included. Aqua Tail, Waterfall and Dive are for STAB water attacks. Dive is risky but the same as waterfall. The only upside is you can dodge on the switch or a risky attack if you are faster after some DDing. Aqua Tail has more power but loses some accuracy. Stone Edge is a more powerful less accurate rock slide and go have fun with Fissure if you want to have a fun OHKO move with 30% accuracy.
    DESTROY TEH ICE TYPES! Garchomp FTW!!!!!!
    My favorite Pokemon!:

FireRed Team:
    Emerald Team:
    Diamond Team:
    SoulSilver Team:
    White Team:
    Fighters 'till the end!

Here's an alternate way to get Wiscash to go first:

Wiscash@Leftovers
    Ability: Anticipation
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 128 Def, 128 Sp Def, 100 HP, 152 Sp Atk

-Mud Shot
    -Icy Wind
    -Surf / Scald
    -HP Dragon / Future Sight

The idea is to start with either Mud Shot or Icy wind, which together have very good coverage. You'll have to take a hit before doing this, because this Wiscash isn't fast off of the bat, but on the second turn, you'll be able to go first and finish the foe off. I don't know why I threw in Future Sight, I just like it for its ability to provide come-from-behind victories.
    If you're creative, don't copy and paste this into your signature (Started by 3.14kachu).

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Water Absorb Mantine easily says "hi" to that set.
    oh god not mantine

Also, a few Dream Eaters may pop in to put a kibosh on Rest.

HYDRATION

Ground and Water alone is too easy to wall, so a third offensive Move Type is almost required.
    hey you made a decent point. that set is meant to be saved until lategame where you can't stop it from setting up though... and only 3 of the top 20 most used mons actually wall it (though ferrothorn might as well).
    Rest is far too risky due to mediocre defenses and a quad Grass Weakness. Without a Chesto Berry, any Pokemon with a Grass Move and decent Attack/Sp.Atk can waltz in and set itself up to sweep.
    HYDRATION

Tropius can come into Rest with DDance and scoffs at 'cash's STABs.
    OH GOD NOT TROPIUS

Dragon/Flying Types absolutely laugh at Physical 'cash, but must beware of Ice Beam from Mix-cash and Special 'cash. Intimidate and Cloud Nine don't help 'cash either. Neither does Hydreigon, who boasts EQ immunity without a quad Ice Weakness.
    so now you're going to start analyzing pokemon who wall whiscash that are actually used in OU...?

Motor Drive Emolga happily switches into Spark and can easily smack 'cash with HP (Grass)... Carnivine, while unlikely, is unusual and unseen enough to be unpredictable and effective against 'cash.
    guess not.

i must concede that mantine does indeed wall whiscash.
    <-----

I'm just gonna randomly throw a move that should maybe find it's way into the "Other Moves" bin.

*Thrash*

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

Yes, Whiscash can run other movesets.

The issue here is that there's no point running a moveset on a pokemon that doesn't do the job as well as another pokemon that's usable in the tier and commonly runs it. Special whiscash isn't that great. A choice item's not practical on one, and it has no way to boost its special attack set. This is why i believe that the only two sets to use on a whiscash, if you ever use one, would be the two I posted, as they're the only effective sets i've ever seen on a whiscash.

Quote Originally Posted by Suspence View Post
    Yes, Whiscash can run other movesets.

The issue here is that there's no point running a moveset on a pokemon that doesn't do the job as well as another pokemon that's usable in the tier and commonly runs it
    We wouldnt have sets for most pokemon if sets werent re used for others. Its not that theres a better pokemon more suited to it, because then the sub standard pokemon wouldnt have many sets and would probably have highly gimicky sets.

Like I said, just because another pokemon can do it, doesnt mean that it shouldnt be mentioned that Wishcash, or any other PotW, can do it to.

Quote Originally Posted by :wub:disc View Post
    HYDRATION
    Drought. Sand Stream. Snow Warning. Plus, tiers are crap - just agree upon rules with an opponent before starting and be well versed in countering unusual choices (Wobbuffet is easily handled by Spiritomb and Garchomp is easily handled by Weavile).

You're not always going to have Rain to help, so backup plans are crucial for Whiscash. Granted, immunity to Sandstorm is there for 'cash, but Sunny-Beam and Hail will ruin Hydration-cash in Singles. Multi is another story...

Chances are, people will have a way to wreck Drizzle-toed and change the weather prior to anything reaping benefits (or worse). A Pokemon that usually carries Thunder that has a Grass Move and a Bug Move (Galvantula or Drifblim, for example) will break 'cash, 'toed, and a Sap Sipper.

If that's not enough, having multiple weather changers on a team will bring headaches a-plenty. I know of teams using Tyranitar/Hippowdon, Abomasnow, Drizzle-toed, Drought-tales, and two Cloud Nine Pokemon (usually Altaria and Lickilicky) that are well capable of preventing Hydration or Leaf Guard aided Rests.
    Last edited by Kraleck; 25th June 2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Addition to post.

Necessary Pre-Evolution Corner sets. Yay.

Barbastion
    Ability: Hydration
    Nature & EVs: Calm, 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Speed
    Hold Item: Damp Rock

- Surf / Scald
    - Rest
    - Rain Dance
    - Toxic

This is a pretty straightforward way to go. Self sufficient Rain Dance is a must since Drizzle is a non factor in Little Cup. Rest and Hydration means full recoveries at any time. Toxic does some nice DoT, since Barboach's offensive stats are really lacking... but you still need Surf or Scald so you aren't Taunt bait.

Victory Dance
    Ability: Hydration
    Nature & EVs: Adamant / Jolly, 252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
    Hold Item: Damp Rock / Life Orb

- Waterfall / Earthquake
    - Rest
    - Rain Dance / Waterfall / Earthquake
    - Dragon Dance

There aren't that many Dragon Dancers around Little Cup, and Barboach certainly isn't the best of them, but it works to an extent. Waterfall and Earthquake provide STAB damage, Rest is a must have to stay healthy, and you can fire off Dragon Dances while healthy. For the last slot, either take self sufficient Rain Dances, Substitutes or another attack.

Yeah, Barboach is kind of... bad. At least Hydration gives it some redeeming quality though.
    This is a signature that doesn't eat up an absurd amount of space.

Quote Originally Posted by 345tom View Post
    We wouldnt have sets for most pokemon if sets werent re used for others. Its not that theres a better pokemon more suited to it, because then the sub standard pokemon wouldnt have many sets and would probably have highly gimicky sets.

Like I said, just because another pokemon can do it, doesnt mean that it shouldnt be mentioned that Wishcash, or any other PotW, can do it to.
    But whiscash really can't pull them off. These sets are gimmicky at best. 76 base special attack? Why use a special set if it has no way of boosting its special attack stat outside of choice specs? Even after specs, it's not going to do much to anything. There's no point running a choice item on Whiscash due to its low base stats (outside of HP), and because dragon dance raises its mediocre speed and passable attack to respectable levels.

The sub-standard pokemon uses the same sets because it is SUB-STANDARD, meaning that you can't use the standard pokemon in the lower tiers. The one or two sets that could put whiscash in the standard tier that would make it unique would be the two dragon dancing sets due to the unique combo of Dragon Dance+Hydration. Whiscash is quite excellent in the lower tiers because of that combination. While its special movepool is pretty good, there's no good reason to use special whiscash or any gimmicky stall sets like you guys have posted. That's all I'm saying.

And like I said (or meant to have said already), I'm not saying other pokemon can do it and that means that it shouldn't be mentioned. I'm saying that there's no use letting the unique dragon dance+hydration go to waste by claiming that your sets aren't gimmicky. That's why it really shouldn't get a mention, in my opinion.

Is it really that big of a deal? A lot of the sets don't get in anyway. The point is to think of as many as you can, but make sure they're practical. I find it arrogant to say that all the gimmicky sets aren't worth a mention. Every set is. Besides, we're not the ones who decide which ones get in. Just let sets be posted. If you disagree with them, don't make a big deal over it. If you have something to add to it and possibly make it better, by all means say it. But never bash a set due to your preferences. There are other people that might want to try different things. Sometimes even not using the BEST set can help. That's situational, but it can happen.
    SoulSilver:
    White:
    Diamond Solo:

[Yeah, sure.]

Drought. Sand Stream. Snow Warning.
    Drizzle. Keep rain up and switch to poli if they set up their own.

I still want to here what people have to say about this set:

Sand Dollar

Whiscash@Leftovers /w/Anticipation
    Ev's: 252 Spe, 172 Hp, 84 Spa
    Nature: Timid (+Speed, -Attack)

~Whirlpool
    ~Substitute
    ~Protect
    ~Toxic/Dragon Dance

This set MUST be used in sandstorm (to rack up residual damage). Ev's for 101 Hp subs and max speed as well as slightly good special attack for whirlpool. This set is basically this guys heatran set except imported onto whiscash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=574Mig49Chw.
    (Copy/Paste everything he says). It's only 5.5 minutes, so please take the time to watch it, as it really explains this set. However, there is one difference. You can run dragon dance over toxic on this whiscash to increase speed, as speed is the most important part of this set, as you must be able to outspeed your opponents. You could also baton pass into this guy. Overall, I really like this set and hope you will all try it.

Oh, and guess what people? Whiscash gets stone edge... i'm pretty sure mantine doesn't wall it...(make it an option over rest on the set)

"Whiscash gets stone edge"

Second set i posted. :P

Whiscash gets Stone Edge? Holy- How did I miss that?!

I am so incompetent. But yeah, that's awesome.

I should read more carefully.
    SoulSilver:
    White:
    Diamond Solo:

[Yeah, sure.]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123