Page 119 of 224 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129169219 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,975 of 5585

Thread: Fire Emblem Series!

Quote Originally Posted by Hejiru View Post
    Shadow Dragon is ok too, unless you go into it expecting the same amount of character development and plot that the other games had. The other US-released FE games were very plot heavy. Shadow Dragon is not.

That was the main thing that annoyed me about Shadow Dragon. I got spoiled by all the other localized games where each character had about 3-6 supports and some kind of backstory. In Shadow Dragon it feels like the only difference between your characters and generic units are the stats and the face portraits. You'll suddenly encounter them, they'll be like "Oh hi, I'm joining you" and then they never speak again. Especially like when Ogma joins and brings 3 generic axefighters with him who exist only to be part of his little mercenary group.

Long story short: Shadow Dragon is fine as long as you're playing it solely for the gameplay and not the plot.

...Actually, I think the game got a bad reputation because FE1 was never released in America. Think about it; if we got the ancient NES Fire Emblem game it would probably be a beloved classic. Metroid and The Legend of Zelda have aged just as poorly as FE1 but look how they're revered. Remakes of really old games are usually well received because people realize it's a remake of an old game, and don't expect much. They look forward to the nostalgia. But since we never played the original (and no doubt a lot of casual players didn't even realize it was a remake of anything) the game didn't get that nostalgia bonus and was judged on its own merit. Basically an updated version of a 20 year old game was being compared to modern ones at face value. I think that's what the problem was.
    My issue with it is that all the units suck. Pretty well all of them have really bad growths.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

In Path of Radiance, is the Black Knight ALWAYS supposed to critical Ike with Alondite? I had everything done in about 12 turns. I got the items from the houses, beat the bandits that would have wrecked the houses, and had Rikard finished. I placed Soren right next to the Blue "Arrive" Square in case Ike couldn't get out of a struggle with the Black Knight. Then he attacked me with Alondite from a distance, landed a critical, and Ike died. :C
    - Known on Smogon as PlatinumMage!! -

John 3:16-For God so loved the world that He gave His only son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.
    If you're a Christian and you love Jesus, add this verse to your sig. Started by jesusfreak94.
    Put this in your sig if you think Hoenn deserves remakes!started by Flare64

Quote Originally Posted by ArcanineShrine014029 View Post
    In Path of Radiance, is the Black Knight ALWAYS supposed to critical Ike with Alondite? I had everything done in about 12 turns. I got the items from the houses, beat the bandits that would have wrecked the houses, and had Rikard finished. I placed Soren right next to the Blue "Arrive" Square in case Ike couldn't get out of a struggle with the Black Knight. Then he attacked me with Alondite from a distance, landed a critical, and Ike died. :C
    Why would the game make itself impossible?

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

You've got a point there. I know it's advised to stay away from him, so I figured that since Ike would survive a hit from Alondite, you could have somewhat of a chance against him...? Still, my first time encountering the Black Knight on that Chapter and it's a critical. Just seemed odd.
    - Known on Smogon as PlatinumMage!! -

John 3:16-For God so loved the world that He gave His only son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.
    If you're a Christian and you love Jesus, add this verse to your sig. Started by jesusfreak94.
    Put this in your sig if you think Hoenn deserves remakes!started by Flare64

You've got a point there. I know it's advised to stay away from him, so I figured that since Ike would survive a hit from Alondite, you could have somewhat of a chance against him...? Still, my first time encountering the Black Knight on that Chapter and it's a critical. Just seemed odd.
    Sometimes the game just hates you, and all the bad luck is then yours. If you do manage to beat him somehow I'm pretty sure he just leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    So I've started a Lunatic play through, I've managed to get to Chapter 2 and I'm honestly lost. I have no idea how one could do this. If I can just unlock the Outrealm I should be good. Is it before or after Chapter 4 that it opens?
    It appears after Chapter 4, I think. Either way, DLC is a little on the hard side to attempt right away, unless you've got some other DLC to mess with. First key should be getting Frederick the Elixir Virion starts with. Then, you should place Fred somewhere in the upper middle, paired with someone good, maybe Chrom. Next, hope Fred doesn't die by awkward 40% hit attacks and 1% crits like what I had happen. Also, make sure nobody is in range of the enemy other than Frederick, since that basically screws over everyone else. The rest is luck, I think, but after the front line of enemies are gone, it's not so bad to let the rest of the team take on 1 weaker enemy. At least, this strategy helped me.

I'm pretty sure the Black Knight is 100% immune to everything but Ragnell in PoR, so there's no reason you should even try to touch him until you actually get Ragnell, which is right when you fight him the next time. The actual battle is really luck based if Ike has Aether, and having Mist promoted will make things easier for the fight.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

This is probably a stupid question, but does Armthrift work for staves?

Also, on a more end-game plotline note (like, really end-game)

Spoiler:- end-game plotline note:

When does the eshop update? Serenes says the Awakening demo is out today in Europe but I don't see it.
    Will-Powered Spriter

Quote Originally Posted by gustavo 14 View Post
    It appears after Chapter 4, I think. Either way, DLC is a little on the hard side to attempt right away, unless you've got some other DLC to mess with. First key should be getting Frederick the Elixir Virion starts with. Then, you should place Fred somewhere in the upper middle, paired with someone good, maybe Chrom. Next, hope Fred doesn't die by awkward 40% hit attacks and 1% crits like what I had happen. Also, make sure nobody is in range of the enemy other than Frederick, since that basically screws over everyone else. The rest is luck, I think, but after the front line of enemies are gone, it's not so bad to let the rest of the team take on 1 weaker enemy. At least, this strategy helped me.
    That's what I was thinking, I just hate using Frederick so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    This is probably a stupid question, but does Armthrift work for staves?

Also, on a more end-game plotline note (like, really end-game)

Spoiler:- end-game plotline note:
    That's impossible, once you kill Grima you're given the option to have either Chrom or your Avatar finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hejiru View Post
    ...Actually, I think the game got a bad reputation because FE1 was never released in America. Think about it; if we got the ancient NES Fire Emblem game it would probably be a beloved classic. Metroid and The Legend of Zelda have aged just as poorly as FE1 but look how they're revered. Remakes of really old games are usually well received because people realize it's a remake of an old game, and don't expect much. They look forward to the nostalgia. But since we never played the original (and no doubt a lot of casual players didn't even realize it was a remake of anything) the game didn't get that nostalgia bonus and was judged on its own merit. Basically an updated version of a 20 year old game was being compared to modern ones at face value. I think that's what the problem was.
    I don't think that's the only thing wrong with it really, at least not for me. Shadow Dragon felt a little too much like the original and did little to update itself, especially in comparison to other remakes from Nintendo. Take Metroid and Zero Mission from example, despite it being revered many have admitted that it has not aged well with time and praise Zero Mission for not only updating the graphics and gameplay but also adding story scenes, a new plotline at the end, and so on. Same with HGSS, they updated the story, gameplay, characters and added a slew of new goodies to obtain and see. Shadow Dragon really feels barebones in comparison as the only major changes are the prologue chapters with little dialogue changes here and there, and while you do get new characters it's requires you to kill off your other characters, something FE has always looked down upon. Granted, to its credit, it does fix the major balance issues of the original and such but I feel they could've done a lot more with it (especially now that New Mystery of the Emblem is out and translated).
    Last edited by Taodragon; 28th March 2013 at 7:54 PM.

It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

oh hey Rogues & Redeemers came out today, too
    $6.50 like Smash Brethren so I'm guessing it's $3 a map. Curious to see if they jump right into Series 2 DLC or if they wait for the fall or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Will-powered Spriter View Post
    When does the eshop update? Serenes says the Awakening demo is out today in Europe but I don't see it.
    It should be out by now.

Demo's finally up! Only 10 uses for us europeans and the aussies though, as opposed to the standard 30, because after waiting two months we need an additional kick in the teeth.

ee i love the map sprites so much

edit: OK, I suspect Lunatic should be called You Die mode.
    Last edited by Will-powered Spriter; 28th March 2013 at 8:55 PM.
    Will-Powered Spriter

Demo's finally up! Only 10 uses for us europeans and the aussies though, as opposed to the standard 30, because after waiting two months we need an additional kick in the teeth.

tbh, If you find yourself playing the demo on 10(let alone 30) occasions, it's safe to say you'll know whether you want to buy the game or not. Generally with demos, I only need 1-2 uses before I know if I'm going to buy the game or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Yeah, while I think a limited amount of uses is stupid, they've provided plenty of uses to give you the chance to make a decision.

So...

Spoiler:- Spotpass Chapter:
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    That's what I was thinking, I just hate using Frederick so much.
    Yeah, I tried to mitigate that feeling by using Frederick as a viable unit on my team, but later, he just falls too much in terms of a standalone unit. Dual Guard+ at level 15 is handy though, so he can still pair up to help guard someone now and then.

I'd say that more accurately describes Lunatic+ than Lunatic.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

If Lunatic is You Die mode then Lunatic+ is Fire Emblem: Prepare to Reset Edition.

On an unrelated note, I'm curious - are taguels and manaketes essentially the same other than manaketes having an extra square of range, or are there stat differences between the two?

Quote Originally Posted by Un0va View Post
    If Lunatic is You Die mode then Lunatic+ is Fire Emblem: Prepare to Reset Edition.

On an unrelated note, I'm curious - are taguels and manaketes essentially the same other than manaketes having an extra square of range, or are there stat differences between the two?
    Manaketes are better with attacking and defending stats (Str, Mag, Def, Res), but Taguels have better "agility" bonuses (Spd, Skl).

Hoenn has disappointed.

P.S. I get tired of complaints from great games.
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Politoed View Post
    Manaketes are better with attacking and defending stats (Str, Mag, Def, Res), but Taguels have better "agility" bonuses (Spd, Skl).
    Their skills are also different (Even vs. Odd Rhythm, Beastbane vs. Wyrmsbane, for Taguel vs. Manaketes respectively), albeit similar.

So yeah, they may be very similar classes but they're not the same.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    Their skills are also different (Even vs. Odd Rhythm, Beastbane vs. Wyrmsbane, for Taguel vs. Manaketes respectively), albeit similar.

So yeah, they may be very similar classes but they're not the same.
    It's pretty much like Yin and Yang, so yeah.

I wonder if Lethality would be a good skill for Taguels (assuming you want them to be taguels in the end). You have about a 11% auto kill rate, but with Beastone +, you change it to a 13% auto kill rate. The enhanced speed could dish out two hits as well, making the auto kill rate in those scenarios nearly a quarter of the time.

Hoenn has disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Politoed View Post
    It's pretty much like Yin and Yang, so yeah.

I wonder if Lethality would be a good skill for Taguels (assuming you want them to be taguels in the end). You have about a 11% auto kill rate, but with Beastone +, you change it to a 13% auto kill rate. The enhanced speed could dish out two hits as well, making the auto kill rate in those scenarios nearly a quarter of the time.
    It's a definite must-have for Panne, since it's one of her few choices for offensive skills. For Yarne/Morgan... it depends. I love Lethality but my luck with it is abysmal, since it usually only activates when the enemy would be killed by a normal attack regardless. So poor experiences with the skill have led me to shun it in favor of something like Astra (which has a higher activation chance anyway), but it comes down to who the parent is for which skills they have access to.

so, uh

does Armthrift work for staves or does it not

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    so, uh

does Armthrift work for staves or does it not
    I don't see why it wouldn't, but why not just test it out?

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    It's a definite must-have for Panne, since it's one of her few choices for offensive skills. For Yarne/Morgan... it depends. I love Lethality but my luck with it is abysmal, since it usually only activates when the enemy would be killed by a normal attack regardless. So poor experiences with the skill have led me to shun it in favor of something like Astra (which has a higher activation chance anyway), but it comes down to who the parent is for which skills they have access to.
    Astra and Lethality sound like good Taguels. Watching a taguel multi-fast kick or kick with blood coming out would be awesome to watch.

In all seriousness, I do believe that skill stat related skills are solid choices.
    Last edited by Auraninja; 29th March 2013 at 4:15 AM.

Hoenn has disappointed.

Page 119 of 224 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129169219 ... LastLast