Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The unpopularity of non-Singles competitive battles

Default The unpopularity of non-Singles competitive battles

One of my favorite aspects of competitive battling is trying to come up with teams and movesets that work well in the current metagame, and I imagine that most other competitive battlers love it for the same reason. That makes me wonder: why is competitive battling largely limited to Singles? The different battle types allow for completely different strategies and have the potential to be just as dynamic, if not more so than the Singles environment. It's even possible to have completely different tiers for other battle types since they change the play style so dramatically, Pokemon that dominate in Singles OU can be completely outclassed in other battle types. Yet for some reason they are largely unexplored and ignored by the community, and I honestly have no idea why that is. I can understand why Singles is popular, since it was the original battling style, but I don't get why the other battle types are almost never played competitively. There might be a really simple answer that I've been overlooking, or there might be many reasons that no one has really considered before. So I was hoping you all could help me figure it out by having a discussion as to why Doubles, Triples, and Rotational battles are so unpopular in the competitive battling community.
    Pokemon X/3DS FC: 3239-2728-0053 IGN Saxy

Feel free to add me for battles or trades. I'm always working on various IV breeding projects and willing to trade any spares.

There are actually some pretty good competitive metagames for Doubles and Triples, although I am unsure about Rotation. I think the main reason that so many people pick up on Singles is that its just easier. Doubles and Triples are also much more fast-paced than Singles, so it takes a different style and preparation to succeed in those metagames.

Also, the Smogon tiers are based around singles, and so any bans and such are inapplicable to doubles/triples, as even the dreaded Wobbuffet can simply be wiped out by multiple attacks in a single round before it can retaliate, or simply ignored.

Rotations are like singles so I wouldn't include them but in douples/triples, a lot of pokemon are either less useful or more useful than in singles.

Credit to FrostStorm for the banner; YOU ARE MAJESTIC FROSTSTORM

3DS FC: 4940 6396 1803

"Because I am the man... who made a typo in his own name while registering..."

I think the above point that was made was really good. Singles is a million times wasier then jumping into Doubles and Triples and even Rotation. Doubles, Triples, and Rotation involve much more stradegy and combination than Singles, making it less popular because people wouldnt like to think it out because it takes ALOT more time.
        Spoiler:- Favorite Pokes:

Spoiler:- What am I?:

Quote Originally Posted by hallstromjr View Post
    I think the above point that was made was really good. Singles is a million times wasier then jumping into Doubles and Triples and even Rotation. Doubles, Triples, and Rotation involve much more stradegy and combination than Singles, making it less popular because people wouldnt like to think it out because it takes ALOT more time.
    Singles involves a lot of strategy and thinking as well. It's not like any old random Joe who knows nothing about the competitive metagame can jump in and do well. All these tiers and standard rules didn't pop up overnight, they were created after a ton of research by dedicated battlers. I just don't understand why no one has even attempted to put the same effort into creating tiers and standard rules for Doubles and Triples as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutsumi View Post
    Also, the Smogon tiers are based around singles, and so any bans and such are inapplicable to doubles/triples, as even the dreaded Wobbuffet can simply be wiped out by multiple attacks in a single round before it can retaliate, or simply ignored.
    Which demonstrates my point about tiers for Doubles and Triples being way different than the Singles tiers, allowing for a more diverse playing environment that requires different thought processes and play styles. I would like to think that most people would enjoy testing their skills in different environments, yet no one has made any real attempt at researching and developing them as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    There are actually some pretty good competitive metagames for Doubles and Triples, although I am unsure about Rotation. I think the main reason that so many people pick up on Singles is that its just easier. Doubles and Triples are also much more fast-paced than Singles, so it takes a different style and preparation to succeed in those metagames.
    I never hear about them here, on PO, or in the Youtube battling community, so I don't know anything about them. I can never find anyone playing Doubles on PO, so I have no way of knowing what's viable or testing strategies I come up with.

Feel free to add me for battles or trades. I'm always working on various IV breeding projects and willing to trade any spares.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddlebuns View Post
    Which demonstrates my point about tiers for Doubles and Triples being way different than the Singles tiers, allowing for a more diverse playing environment that requires different thought processes and play styles. I would like to think that most people would enjoy testing their skills in different environments, yet no one has made any real attempt at researching and developing them as far as I know.
    The only things that instantly come to mind would be banning the moves 'Dark Void' and 'Beat Up'. I imagine Drizzle/SwiftSwim would be a consideration too, but there may be more good counters for it than I've look at yet.

I actually love doing triple and rotation battles, not so much doubles. I don't take all night to develop a strategy though, i just use my singles team. I really only play them for fun, cuz they are actually kinda fun unlike what i thought when they were first announced.

RIP Ice Grabbers
    Super Smash Bros. Melee - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Nana you're too smart for a 3DS.
    *credit to PurpleBlitz for drac stuff*

I remember when double battles were a new thing back in gen II. When i saw triple battles i was like O_O.

I really like rotation battles though. Its like a single battle, but adds a new twist to the game. Its almost like you could switch in without using up ur turn.
    3DS
    FC: 4382 2186 3275
        Spoiler:- ???:

Rotation are really fun more fun than Singles really fun and Rotation you need more Thought than singles.

I think my team does better in rotations as each one can compensate each weakness. With strategy and prediction, you can do really good in those battles.

I also find that people do not like to rotate, so i use that to my advantage.
    3DS
    FC: 4382 2186 3275
        Spoiler:- ???:

Oh, I love triples Doubles works for me, but I honestly like triples for the fast-paced battles.

Don't forget one particular strategy that can be really nasty at doubles/triples - Trick Room. It makes Trick Room much easier to run, since you can actually have your sweepers out right off the bat, and get the Room open.

If handled competently, it's pretty much a rape-fest.

Other possible candidates for nastiness in doubles/triples would probably be Tailwind, Perish Song/U-Turn/Shadow Tag combinations, and even simple ol' Rock Slide/Blizzard/Surf/Eruption (can seriously HURT the opposition in a multiple-pokemon battle).
    I don't use "uber" Pokemon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar)

My Platinum monotype teams

Water -

Ground -

Their weaknesses may not be as prominent as they seem

I have never understood this, double battles are probably my favorite style of battling. The Rotation and Triple Battles discussions are kind of sad too.
    "Love without truth is not real love, truth without love is not real truth"
    [IMG]http://oi51.*******.com/qn1ftl.jpg[/IMG]
    Credit to Wolftamer
        Spoiler:- Quote:

I love the other styles of battles, in particular rotation battles. They're good in the sense that it opens a whole new way of thinking, and a whole ne set of strategies.

Maybe singles is most popular because it's the original battling style that's most often used in-game etc, but certainly not because they are the best for coming up with strategies, or anything like that.
    Hey Serebii, how you doing? Not sure how many of you guys from way back are out there, but just to let you know that I'm back, though I'm not sure how regularly I'll be on. Thanks for everything, and I hope I can continue to enjoy my time here!

3DS Friend Code: 2105 - 8928 - 6860

Looking for any breedable flawless Pokemon!

I think perhaps Singles is more popular because each member of your team can stand alone, whereas in say a Doubles battle, if one of your Pokemon faints, you have to switch another in to battle with the one that is currently out, so each of your Pokemon needs to have a certain chemistry and be able to battle with each other member of your team successfully.

What I'm saying is Doubles and Triples and Rotations involve alot more stradegy than Singles in my opinion. They can have a lot more combinations to run. Sometimes, in singles, you could just run a team of sweepers and win. There is alot more fast paced action in the other styles of battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mevejuma View Post
    I think perhaps Singles is more popular because each member of your team can stand alone, whereas in say a Doubles battle, if one of your Pokemon faints, you have to switch another in to battle with the one that is currently out, so each of your Pokemon needs to have a certain chemistry and be able to battle with each other member of your team successfully.
    The same is true in Singles matches. If you have a Singles team where all of your team members are weak to ground-type moves, you'll get wrecked by the first Pokemon you encounter with Earthquake. Team synergy is important no matter the battle style, so that's not really a reason to play one style over another.

Quote Originally Posted by hallstromjr View Post
    What I'm saying is Doubles and Triples and Rotations involve alot more stradegy than Singles in my opinion. They can have a lot more combinations to run. Sometimes, in singles, you could just run a team of sweepers and win. There is alot more fast paced action in the other styles of battle.
    The same is true in Doubles (from my experience), just toss out two sweepers at the same time instead of one. Singles matches can have a lot more strategy than using a bunch of sweepers as well. Stall wars aren't uncommon in Singles play, and that hasn't reduced its popularity at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Cut View Post
    Maybe singles is most popular because it's the original battling style that's most often used in-game etc, but certainly not because they are the best for coming up with strategies, or anything like that.
    I understand why it's the most popular, I just don't understand why the other battle types are virtually non-existent. Whenever any competitive battling discussion comes up, it's always assumed that everyone is talking about the Singles environment. I still don't understand why other battle types are just completely ignored.

rotation battles are almost psychological battles rather than normal pokemon strategy. also not everyones abilities activate when sent out

double and triple battles can be tricky. most of my doubles experience comes from the battle factory, where I had a bad habit of losing my 2 leads quickly, thus ending my streak. call me crazy but I think I like triples better. also on random matchups you actually use your whole 6-poke team

I have claimed Giratina

The simple truth is that there is no recognized system for competitive Double/Triple Battles because the leaders in competitive battle are all in Single Battle. POTW, Smogon articles, and so much more is focused on Single Battle, so anything that deals exclusively with Double/Triple Battles seems legitimate in comparison.

If anyone's willing to start some kind of Doubles/Triples group or thread to discuss possible strategies, tier changes, and whatnot, I'd love to join, though.
    If you're creative, don't copy and paste this into your signature (Started by 3.14kachu).

Quote Originally Posted by 3.14kachu View Post
    If anyone's willing to start some kind of Doubles/Triples group or thread to discuss possible strategies, tier changes, and whatnot, I'd love to join, though.
    Triple Battles and Rotation Battles threads in my signature!
    We could make a double battles thread. I think that there used to be one, but it just got ignored for a long time.
    "Love without truth is not real love, truth without love is not real truth"
    [IMG]http://oi51.*******.com/qn1ftl.jpg[/IMG]
    Credit to Wolftamer
        Spoiler:- Quote:

I haven't done much triple or rotation yet but I love Doubles with my soul! My Doubles team(s) kick *** and it's complexity compared to Singles is what makes it fun. They should make seperate tiers for Singles and Rotation and then for Doubles/Triples.
    3DS FC: 4313 1054 9104

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE WHEN YOUR FIGHTING TYPE POKEMON FIGHTS LIKE A MAN AND NOT A LADY
    IM ON A RAPIDASH

Doubles and triples is where players can really pull out their stratigies that they could otherwise not do in singles. I personally love doubles.

Rate my team below!
    Credit to Arkeis

White FC: 1936 1308 4535

Your pain is the simple bread and butter to my plan, yet your defeat will be the sweet, sweet mustard. MUSTARD OF YOUR DOOM!!! - Fawful

I have always preferred Doubles. I think it is easier, and I like the strategies a lot more. It is easier to cover everything is you have 8 moves to work with instead of 4. My Electivire and Salamence on my first team had perfect synergy; in fact, I kinda made up this little story in my head to describe a strategy I used a lot. My Salamence knew/knows Thunder Fang, and frequently when Electivire had everything covered, I would have her use it on Electivire to activate his Motor Drive. He was male and she was female, so since they were my two leads, I imagined in my head that they were like bf/gf and she was giving him a little sparky kiss to perk him up, lol. ^_^ In fact, she was the only one on the team with a nickname; since it was a girl, I nick named her "Sally" for SAL...amence.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddlebuns View Post
    I just don't understand why no one has even attempted to put the same effort into creating tiers and standard rules for Doubles and Triples as well.
    It's there, it just isn't as well documented.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G W View Post
    I remember when double battles were a new thing back in gen II.
    Three, unless you are including the anime. That was my reaction too though.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSkull94 View Post
    Doubles and triples is where players can really pull out their stratigies that they could otherwise not do in singles. I personally love doubles.

Rate my team below!
    Yet you choose not to follow that statement up by posting your team? Odd, but just as well, seeing as this isn't the place for it.

Anyway, I agree that triples and doubles are far more strategic, with useful roles otherwise neglected Pokémon can fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutsumi View Post
    Yet you choose not to follow that statement up by posting your team? Odd, but just as well, seeing as this isn't the place for it.

Anyway, I agree that triples and doubles are far more strategic, with useful roles otherwise neglected Pokémon can fill.
    Its in his signature.

Triples and Doubles require more thinking in my opinion. With both Trainers having access to eight moves and two abilities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast