View Poll Results: Which games were your favorite?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • R/S/E

25 89.29%
  • FR/LG

2 7.14%
  • I can't decide

1 3.57%

Thread: Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald or FireRed/LeafGreen?

Default Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald or FireRed/LeafGreen?

Which set of Generation III games did you think was better?Make sure to explain your choice thoroughly,not just "I like _ ".

R/S because they were original compared to remakes like LG/FR. Also, I purposely didn't put Emerald with R/S since I didn't think it was that great or refreshing either, but that's just me. :x

R/S definitely had a different feel than LG/FR. I have to go with R/S because I feel that there were aspects that made it a more matured addition to the series (ie breeding, contests, legendary 'mons tied to the story, and even more if you count the feature of Emerald). FireRed was my first game in the series and Sapphire my second, but I took to Sapphire much easier. Even though the typing of the Hoenn dex is nothing to marvel at, it was vastly improved compared IMO to the Kanto dex. Additionally, it took me so long to beat FireRed and then the Sevii Islands side quest that it took me years before I could trade between FireRed and R/S, and I'm pretty sure it was also barred from trading with Colosseum, XD, and Emerald, whereas I didn't have that problem with Sapphire.
    Pokémon Y Team:
    Pokémon AS Team:
    My Friend Code is 5343-9772-6309.

Between R/S and FR/LG, it's a tie for me. I like them equally but for different reasons. R/S has the Pokenav, a somewhat larger regional dex, a more interesting story, Secret Bases, contests and the Battle Tower. They also felt more new since they were new games rather than remakes. I also like the Hoenn Pokemon a bit more than the Kanto ones. FR/LG on the other hand had a better post-game in terms of area and story with the Sevii Islands, they had the VS. Seeker, Fame Checker, a stronger Elite Four on subsequent visits and Move Tutors. While they were remakes, I thought they were much better than the original Kanto games and they fixed pretty much every problem those had as well as improved on them in all ways. So between just those, it's a tie.

Add in Emerald though, and the Hoenn games are my favorites. I thought Emerald expanded and improved on R/S in many ways. With minor details like Everstones passing down natures and some abilities working in the overworld, to things like the Safari Zone expansion, more Move Tutors than FR/LG, the changed story which I found more interesting than the one in R/S as well as new areas in Hoenn, Emerald is a great game. As if that wasn't enough, it also featured the Battle Frontier which I loved and ended up spending a lot of time at, and I am still not done with it today. In terms of area, Emerald might have less new areas than FR/LG and less areas to explore post-game but it surely has a lot more to do which means more to me. With all of that, the Hoenn games gets my vote, but as said, I do like FR/LG as well.

Ruby and Emerald for sure (when I had them) as the region was bigger and I like plots involving legends unlike the kanto remakes. I prefer Emerald plot over all of them including the Hoenn remakes, as I enjoy getting Rayquaza to stop the battle. Emerald is the best Hoenn game by far and it was the one that introduced the Battle Frontier (R.I.P).
    Currently playing Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Annoyed about the lack of Emerald elements in the game.

Currently own: X and Y, Black 2 and White 2, Black and White, Heart Gold and Soul Silver, Platinum, Diamond and Pearl, Super Pokemon Rumble, Ranger 3, Ranger 2, Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time and Dragon Ball Z: Super Sonic Warriors. Guidebooks for Johto games, Unova games and Kalos games.

Own quite a number shinies, especially in Y thanks to Consecutive Fishing.

Own all 5 gen event legends in White 2, many came from my brother which I like to thank.

R/S/E by a long shot. Back then Gen III brought so many new things into the series that made it better. All alongside of that Hoenn I prefer that region over Kanto a lot more and its much more beautiful as well I think.

Signature by me|sig drawing by Latte3000

Emerald since it was my favorite and first pokemon game!

Both were good(by Generation III standards,at least),but I'll go with Hoenn games.They had a much better region setting,better storyline(although it was a bit silly),time function which allowed you to grow Berries,Pokemon Contests,better legendaries with actual backstories,and better background music.However,the Kanto remakes had much more post-game content,stronger Elite Four and Champion on subsequent challenges(although I wish they had Hoenn Pokemon in addition to Kanto and Johto ones),a better rival(although Blue isn't my favorite rival character,at least he uses a full team) and a better grinding spot in the form of Cerulean Cave.In Emerald,the storyline had become even more intense,and Battle Frontier was a nice addition,but sadly it had no good grinding spots whatsoever because you had to visit Sky Pillar before beating the game,I also didn't like Wallace as the Champion.Still,R/S/E appeal to me a bit more than FR/LG do.
    Last edited by KyogreThunder; 7th February 2015 at 5:16 PM.

perhaps I'm biased by the fact that Ruby was the first pokemon game i've ever tried, but i have to say that R/S/E were my favorite by far. i always loved the varied landscapes of hoenn. there were volcanoes, oceans, jungles, and deserts. and with those landscapes, come many different types of pokemon. unlike kanto, which wasn't bad per se, but definately lacked the variety that hoenn had. i get that it was based on Gen. 1, which was the start of pokemon, but i don't think it can really match up to hoenn. also, i loved the villains for R/S/E. as you may be able to guess, magma was my favorite
    LONG LIVE TEAM MAGMA!
    *a proud member of the Ring Of Fire! [FP: 45]
    We'll miss you, THT!
    Shinies found:Trevenant, Numel, Hypno, and Relicanth , Huntail
    Up next: Suggestions?
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the UserBar, credit to nintendo for team magma grunt image

RSE for me because it was original rather than a remake, had a lot of my favorite Pokemon and had a more interesting story. The only thing FRLG has above RSE in my opinion is the starter Pokemon. I still love the original three.

Dipper used Flash! Mabel's accuracy fell! Stan's accuracy fell!
    Claimed December 30th, 2014

I like both sets of games. On FRLG, I liked the addition of the Sevii Islands a lot and they were what made me want to get the games in the first place. I also liked the VS Seeker and the Fame Checker items.

But, RSE are easily my favourites on this poll. I think Hoenn is a very beautiful region and I've always found it to be more interesting to explore than Kanto. Emerald is my favourite 3rd gen game and I love every change it brought, especially the addition of the Battle Frontier.
    ~ * * ~

I enjoyed both, but RSE were, on the whole, better games. They had more features than FRLG, which, in comparison, seemed to be a step back. Of course, they were miles ahead of the originals, and stayed true to them, but I think that limiting trades and evolutions was a bad idea. Of course, I can see why GF did it, but it just restricted the entire game, if you wanted other Pokemon.
    Mage Gothorita and Hydreibloom say hi!
    Sprites are mine, please don't steal.

3DS FC: 2449-5277-5825

I personally enjoy the games that start off the generation more than I do the remakes. However, the remakes do come very close, so it was kind of hard for me to decide. But, I picked Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, and I'm glad with my choice.

I'd have to say I preferred Ruby over all, mainly due to the fact Groudon was my favorite legendary at the time. I still prefer Groudon over many legendary pokemon, but Latios stole that spot.
    Maybe you should try eating makeup, it might make you look pretty on the inside too. "It's bad enough I have you people adding to your universe's respective death tolls. Now you think you can SUBTRACT FROM OTHERS?!" ~PurpleEyesWTF

Firered was my first game, and I enjoyed it more than any other, but looking back, RSE were far superior games. The cities and routes were amazingly designed, the story was much more developed and enveloping, and the sprites were colorful and dynamic. Emerald especially, kept all the things that were amazing about Ruby and Sapphire and improved the areas in which they were lacking, including a deeper post-game and an even better story.

Credit to cloneydew2000 for the sprites.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridiculous Reuniclus View Post
    The only thing FRLG has above RSE in my opinion is the starter Pokemon. I still love the original three.
    And in my view, the post-game; as much as I adore R/S, I have to admit that LG/FR had more stuff to do after beating the Elite Four. So I'll give them credit for that.

I never played LG or FR so I went with the original Hoenn trio. I finally finished Emerald after 10 years of not touching it thanks to hindsight being 20/20. I started using the Revival Herbs in the fifth gen games and suddenly dawned on me that they had been around FOREVER and I never used them in the original Hoenn games. And I finally beat Emerald and Wallace with my Rayquaza after he killed my other five since I'd used up all but one of my eight herbs in the fight with the E4. I could only afford eight of them. My first games were the original Red and Blue, since I was 15 at the time they came out and have been a life long player ever since, 18 years of my life has been devoted to Pokemon.
    Last edited by Vale_Star; 13th March 2015 at 8:00 PM. Reason: because I can't spell apparently
    Friend Code: 1564-3276-9539, Ground safari Phanpy, Nincada, Diggersby
    Name: Ani-Mei, X name Theia, Y name Virgil
    AS name Yuna, OR name Tidus

rse because they where new

2/3ds Friend code:0104-1468-6275 IGN:Marc