Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3rd Gen General FAQ, 1st-4th Help Thread

Default EV training in Emerald vs EV training in BW2

I've been thinking about getting Emerald cause I dont have a DS, but i could wait another year for a DS. Are there any changes to the EV system between Emerald and BW2? Is EV training/breeding fast enough in Emerald?

There are very few "minor" changes between Emerald EV system and BW2s EV system. You can do everything in Emerald that you can do in BW2. The Major Changes is that you can get Different EV held items, and the wing items add 1 EV to a stat. There is also a store in the Join Avenue that can help EV train Pokémon, and hatch Pokémon, but getting them partly relies of Random chance.

You can Breed really fast in BW2 as you've got the Join Avenue to boost stuff, but some Pokémon can only learn some moves in Emerald that they can't learn in later games.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

Default How to learn Metronome via Sketch?

So this has been bugging me for a while. According to Bulbapedia:

But I can't seem to get this to work. If a pokemon is asleep, then sketch learns the move it used before it fell asleep. Or else you could easily sketch Selfdestruct and Explosion this way.

I can't think of a way to learn it in any other generations either.

Anyone got any ideas?
    Last edited by massi4h; 12th May 2013 at 6:45 AM.
    Pokemon Pearl FC- 2148 4722 0731
    PM me if you add me so I can add you as well.

Max IV Dittos For Sale

Is there some 'pattern' of which EVs which pokemon will give? I mean, it gets a bit hard to navigate through a list that says the EVs for each species, so could I maybe pre-assume what EVs they give according to their type (I know there would always be exceptions, but still)? And if so, which type is more likely to give which EVs?

So far I figured that Flying and Electric types usually give Speed EVs, Fighting types usually give Attack EVs, and Poison types usually give Defense EVs, but what about the others? And am I even right?
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

FireRed team:
    Cordelia Nida Rai Fang Cyclone Charlie

I might help nicknaming your Pokémon, PM me!

I don't like gen5.I'm not a nostalgic freak who can't accept new things;when gen2 came out,I didn't even notice it was new.When gen3 came out,I thought "new Pokémon already??"but I tried to learn as much as possible.When gen4 came out,I was like "Cool, but evolutions of older Pokémon look ugly.Which starter would I pick?"When all gen5 Pokémon were revealed,I was disappointed.
    Oh yeah; when gen 6 came out, I was disappointed too, but then it started to revive my faith in the future of pokemon.

I just bought pokemon Leafgreen, but everytime i boot it up i get the following message: The Previous Save File will be loaded.

Why does that appear, it doesnt affect saving, but i want to make sure my copy i bought isnt fake... cause i know certain messages mean that it is

Default skitty as a hm slave

Is it good?
    what can it learn?

Zigzagoon is easier to use, find, and learns more moves for HM slave-ishness

Just check out the 3rd gen pokedex on the main site and it should let you know everything about Skitty
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Credit goes to FairyWitch at Flower Paradise Graphics

Fanfic Status: Currently postponed-- Kingdom Hearts: Memories' Reflection. Last updated 8/17/13

I was a fan of tropius.

Skitty is a decent HM slave, but why would you even waste your time looking for an uncommon Pokčmon when Zigzagoon is a better HM slave? Personally, I've always liked the Wingull family as HM Slaves (back in the day), but it's really up to you.

I'll argue that Slakoth is a better HM Slave than Zigzagoon, because the former can learn Strength while the later cannot.
    It wouldn't really matter if you were to actually use Strength in battle with your team, though, considering Strength is still a 100% accuracy 80BP move.

True, but Zigzagoon, once again, is easier to find, therefore balancing the two out. It comes to a matter of preference at that point.

Default I'm really confused.....

Okay I just got dive but after that I don't know exactly where to go. Help! Emerald.
    Fire/Water Master

Thanks fairy witch for the button

When you get dive, you need to go to Sootopolis, I believe. You find it in underwater. To go underwater, teach a Pokčmon Dive, find a dark patch of water, then click A. The entrance to Sootopolis is on Route 126, if I remember correctly.

Well you don't have to go to Sootopolis if you don't want to. You can head south from Mossdeep until you hit a massive expanse of deep water, where you can Dive and enter the Seafloor Cavern. Then you can hit Sootopolis. Either way is fine, but if you go to Sootopolis first you can simply Fly there after the Seafloor Cavern. I prefer my way since there's like a sense of urgency with the rain pelting down and the lightning flashing across the sky. Up to you though.

Default Pal Park Question

I recently purchased a japanese copy of Pokemon Emerald on ebay. I do know that the pal park is language-locked, so I would trade the pokemon to my english copy of Sapphire in order to pal park them. What I am wondering is if they would still count as foreign so that I would be able to use the Masuda Method with them. Basically I am asking if it will be considered as "Japanese" even if I imported it through an English game.
    SHINIES:
    LEAFGREEN TEAM:
    FIRERED TEAM:
    NEW SAPPHIRE TEAM:
    NEW EMERALD TEAM:
    EV TRAINED:

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY BOOBER

Quote Originally Posted by Jirachi Dude View Post
    I recently purchased a japanese copy of Pokemon Emerald on ebay. I do know that the pal park is language-locked, so I would trade the pokemon to my english copy of Sapphire in order to pal park them. What I am wondering is if they would still count as foreign so that I would be able to use the Masuda Method with them. Basically I am asking if it will be considered as "Japanese" even if I imported it through an English game.
    Merged with this Help/FAQ thread sticky. Even though it hasn't had posts in ages it's fine to bump sticky threads like these.

I'm afraid I don't know myself. I would guess at yes though... but don't take that as correct.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Default Better Hoenn Pokemon

Just a quick question, what hoenn pokemon are 'good'. I don't want to here about the one in particular that is the 'best'. I just want to know some viable ones.

Another mod merged your thread here.

Hmm, I'd say any of the starters usually are good, although Swampert/Blaziken tend to be more useful then Sceptile. After that, personally Ludicolo (neat typing, good choice for a Surfer), Swelloe (not a bad flyer), the dragons (Flygon and Salamence, Altaria is a bit worse than those two) rank up there this gen and aren't too hurt by the way typing works with physical and special moves prior to 4th gen games. But there's some bias there, a lot of other ones are decent too (Manectric, Hariyama, Aggron, Metagross but that's not available early, Claydol, other water types for example).

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Question Is there a list of towns/routes/etc using shared music for all the main games?

E.g., a list that shows how Routes 101, 102 and 103 from Hoenn have the same music?

I'm looking for this to update my remix collection (hosted on my same-named deviantART profile), to make sure all titles accurately reflect every major part of the game they appear in.

If anyone can point me to such a list, it would be greatly appreciated. Or, if you happen to know some towns or cities or whatever that use shared music, please mention!

Thanks in advance!

(Merged your post with the help topic)

I did some searching but couldn't find a list of what you're looking for. I can think of a few places with the same music (though trying to remember all the places would take me too long) such as:

Violet & Olivine
    Azalea & Blackthorn
    Ecruteak & Cianwood (though there are differences between the two in HGSS)
    Rustboro & Mauville & Mossdeep
    Oldale & Lavaridge
    Eterna & Celestic

Hopefully someone else can add to this/give a full list.

I have a problem I recently replayed emerald and transferred my old pokemon that have previously won the contests and went right to master rank but the painter didn't paint me for the museum. Can I still use these pokemon to get the trainer star and get the paintings again or no

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12