Thread: Writer's Block Cures

Default Writer's Block Cures

Hello everyone! I'm starting this thread for everyone to discuss what they use to cure their writer's block. Most ideas (except for repeats) will be posted in the following list. Personally, my biggest cure is listening to classical music. The soothing sounds get my creative juices flowing. Also, try to explain why the things you put cure writer's block. Enjoy!

Cures:

Classical Music
    Working On Other Writing Projects
    Just Writing, No Matter How Bad the End Result Is
    Incorporating Random Ideas
    Celtic Music
    80s/90s Pop Music
    Watching Cartoons
    Walking Away For a Day
    Reading Manga
    Editing Previous Works
    Thinking About Characters/Plot
    Wait Out Your Period of Non-Creativeness
    Watch Detective Shows
    Techno Music
    Using Concepts From Scrapped Ideas
    Observing the Things Around You
    Daydreaming
    Returning to What Inspired You
    Write the Chapter In a Different Order
    Read Someone Else's Work
    Last edited by Phoopes; 14th August 2011 at 12:45 AM.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

I sometimes work on a side project a bit, and it can give me Ideas to use for my main story. Writing something different can get your mind out of the ditch that is writer's block, and you can start up fresh after a bit of work outside of your main piece.
    My fan-fic(Credit to Gelatino95 at Crazy Dragon Graphics for the userbar) Author's profile
    And here's an awesome RPG. It has dinosaurs!And a sprite comic, because I can't draw!

Please click my dragon(s)!

Make yourself write. Even if it's garbage that can't possibly be used, you should put words down at least five days a week to keep the creative juices flowing. It's like any other job: some days you don't want to do it and you don't feel "inspired", but you need to suck it up and get the job done. Same with writing; you can't expect to have great ideas all the time, sometimes you need to push through the bad days. The longer you go without writing, and the longer you let yourself think "writer's block" is something you can't just push through, the worse you'll be in the long run. The best comparison I can think of is an athlete: do you think a baseball player wants to practice when the season's over? Probably not, but he knows it would hurt him in the long run to mope around because he would lose some necessary skills. Same with writing. It's a skill that needs to be constantly honed whether or not you feel like doing it. Realistically you're not always going to have great ideas or be in the ideal writing mood. You just need to train yourself to write whenever you need to. Again, the quality of the writing you do isn't important at all, the act of writing is the thing that matters.
    Here’s to the crazy ones. The rebels. The troublemakers. The ones who see things differently. While some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

I think of an idea, no matter how outlandish. Then I think, "How colud I incorporate this in a possible way?" Then I write.

Cures:

Using something stupid.

Listen to any sort of music (Celtic and 80's/90's pop works best for me)
    Watch cartoons
    Walk away from the project in question for a day or two

Well, I write a lot of stories that I plan to turn into manga/anime one day, so sometimes I will watch a little bit of my favorite anime or read a little of my favorite manga (not to steal ideas, but sometimes I can be inspired by the art or dialogue).

Classical, video game, or anime/movie soundtracks are great. Pretty much anything without lyrics can help your mind drift off into imagination-land.

There are a lot of things I do to help cure writer's block. Like others have said, music is always helpful. I actually prefer it to have lyrics, though, since sometimes specific lines can trigger a certain idea or feeling that helps me write whatever I happen to be working on. A lot of times, I pick songs based on the mood I'm trying to write in and listen carefully to the lyrics and the instruments to sort of regain the feeling I'm going for.

While forcing yourself to write can work sometimes, I also think it's important to get yourself away from it for a while. A ton of my ideas come from daydreams I have while doing something totally unrelated to writing. Surfing the internet, hanging out with friends, working, or just doing whatever to free yourself from the "responsibility" of writing can be incredibly invigorating.

Finally, and this one may sound silly, but editing. Whenever I get stuck, I go back over what I've written and revise it and edit it until I'm ready to start writing again. I think looking over things and trying to see it from different views can give your brain a little workout and get it ready for the next step.

Whenever you have a quiet moment to yourself (my personal favorite is in the car), think about your story, whether it's an in-progress work or something you're planning. Go over the plot structure in your head. Break down what events lead into what. Go over your characters. Think about their motives. Think about what you can say about them through what they do in the story. This can often make a scene you didn't want to write far more interesting. Come up with a crazy event that you'd have no idea how to explain. Then try your hand at explaining it.

Just keep in it your thoughts whenever you can. Don't ever let yourself be bored. Yeah, you know those times when you randomly browse the internet for no reason, not even looking at anything interesting? Use those to write, even if your "writing" is like me, where you basically just stare at a plot outline in Word for an hour with an "I'm progressing!" sort of face.

~Chibi~

Ever wondered what would happen if humans had the power to overthrow the Legendaries? To either use them for their own ends, or eliminate them altogether? One thing is for certain...the balance between human and Legendary is unstable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    8/30/12: CHAPTER 7: “Into the Fire” POSTED!!!
    Chapter 8 progress: 9/12 pages

Usually, I brainstorm ideas for my story all the time, even when I'm not writing, so creator's block doesn't strike very often. However, when it does, I just wait it out. Because I'm lazy like that. Luckily, I only started my fic a little while ago, so creator's block isn't a problem... yet.

If I'm really desperate, one thing I like to do is force myself to sit and do nothing until I become so bored that I start brainstorming ideas to keep my brain busy, and then my head is instantly filled with ideas.

I also sometimes watch shows on Netflix. Currently, I'm watching every episode of Monk in order. Detective shows like that are often very intricate, so I get a lot of ideas from it.

Cures:

- Wait it out
    - Bore yourself
    - Watch Monk

^ Click this for good times ^

Listening to techno music usually helps me get over my writer's block.

Sometimes I work on little one shots.

Sprite by Luminey on GPX+

I think of the most intetesing one-shot I can write. Then I don't write it, and examine Why I like the idea. Then I cab periodically implement a small concept or two that works, disregard what wouldn't, and add depth to the story and get past writer's block. Or get a strange plot line. But that can be fixed by examining if it's a good idea, and taking out things that wouldn't work in the context of the story.
    The Flash Drive of Champions: Backgrounds

There are many reasons to journey in the Pokemon World. It turns out that banishment, Bond Villains, unbeatable rivals and being forced to attend one dance too many are among them.

File 2.5 is up. Gela literally puts on a show for the world to see while elsewhen her world is shattered beyond repair.

Be observant. Trying to cure writer's block? Look at everything and anything around you and think of that might fit in your story. Shouldn't take you very long to think of something easily workable. Especially if it's a Pokemon fiction.

My favorite thing to do when I have writers block is to listen to music.

I also find that just enjoying some time off and watching T.V or daydreaming helps.

If none of that helps I go back and re-read my story. I try and think of the plot again and then think of ways it's possible to tell the story from where I left off...Even if the ideas are silly sometimes you can make magic by just going over your idea's.
    I Have Claimed Yellow!

As the writer of many a research paper (and procrastinator in general), it does help just to write something, like Antithesis said. You shouldn't overexert yourself, of course, nor should you force yourself into a position where you're just not happy writing anymore, but it generally does help just to write a line here or there to keep your mind rolling. It doesn't have to be related to your story. It doesn't have to be the next chapter (I've written lines for later chapters quite often) or anything like that.

Sometimes just thinking of your story helps as well. Sometimes a random plot bunny may hop into your brain that you just need to type out.

When I have writer's block, I return to the source of inspiration for whatever story I'm working on. If you were inspired by a song/band, listen to it again. If you were inspired by an aspect of a video game, play through that game again. If you were inspired by a TV show or movie, watch it for a little while.

Basically just wait it out but do something meaningful while you take time off. Heck, one time I had writer's block and all I did was look over some old reviews for the fic and I was instantly cured.
    Yu-Gi-Oh: World Tour
    ~NEW~
    A collab fic (w/ Brandy Beavers & Uninspired Author)
    Third Stop is up [11/28/14]

Heroic Potential
    A Yugioh! fic. Chapter 20 is up [12/14/13]

Well, depending on the severity of writers block, it depends. lol, severity makes it sound way worse than it is . . .

If it's just that nothing's sounding right (like I could write more, but more would probably read terribly), then I simply stop for the day. I'd watch TV, listen to music, do something other than write. Then I'll come back to it the next day; or if I tried writing before school, I'll come back after school. For me, I can only write so much in a day, so mini-block is regular for me.

However, if it's long term block (day after day, which I've only had once), I didn't really have a plan to get a rid of it. I simply put said fic on indefinite hiatus because I thought the inability to write it was going to go on for a long time. At the time, I also had started another fic. So after writing about four chapter of my newest project, I decided "what the heck" and started writing on the first. Because I was having trouble coming up with the beginning, I skipped ahead to writing the battle, then came back to the beginning. Since then, I'm doing two fics at once. So basically try write something else. It could be a random piece of writing, it could be a different fic (if you've two), it could be a different part of the same fic/chapter - you don't have to write it in order.

Lastly, just read. Reading will give you new ideas, inspiration, techniques . . . reading = good.

Cures (i cannot be held responsible if these don't work )

• Stop for the day, do something else.
    • Stop writing whatever you're stuck on; write about something else.
    • Shake it up; try writing the chapter in a different order.
    • Read something else.
    ┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

My cure for writer's block:

1. Don't force yourself to write- You'll most likely end up changing whatever you wrote once you get your creative juices flowing again

2. Use your imagination- If you need an idea on how to expand the plot just think "What if". It doesn't matter how off the wall it seems, because it could pave the way for you finding something good to write about.

3. Look to whatever inspires you- Whether it's music or art or even a piece of food, use what inspires you to get ideas flowing again.

4. If all else fails, take a break- It doesn't hurt to take some time off to recharge your creativity. Plus when you do get back to the writing, you will be nice and refreshed. Just don't take too long though.

That's all I have to say on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
    Make yourself write. Even if it's garbage that can't possibly be used, you should put words down at least five days a week to keep the creative juices flowing. It's like any other job: some days you don't want to do it and you don't feel "inspired", but you need to suck it up and get the job done. Same with writing; you can't expect to have great ideas all the time, sometimes you need to push through the bad days. The longer you go without writing, and the longer you let yourself think "writer's block" is something you can't just push through, the worse you'll be in the long run. The best comparison I can think of is an athlete: do you think a baseball player wants to practice when the season's over? Probably not, but he knows it would hurt him in the long run to mope around because he would lose some necessary skills. Same with writing. It's a skill that needs to be constantly honed whether or not you feel like doing it. Realistically you're not always going to have great ideas or be in the ideal writing mood. You just need to train yourself to write whenever you need to. Again, the quality of the writing you do isn't important at all, the act of writing is the thing that matters.
    I have to agree here. I find that most of the time writer's block in largely psychological, unless it's a case of writing yourself into a corner or something. The best solution is just making yourself write and you'll eventually get back into the flow of things.
    Claimed: Grovyle - November 10th, 2013
    Chapter 21 is up.

What I find useful is feedback from other people. If there's someone who wants to read my story, I feel kind of obliged to continue writing. That leads to me forcing myself to write, and things work out in the end.

Another method I use is reading what I have already written to feel the inspiration I used to have. When I get to the point where I got stuck, I can then either find a way to continue, or I could change that part of the story altogether.

Well, often times the reason I get writer's block is because some part of the plot doesn't make sense, and I feel like I can't continue until I correct that part somehow. I suppose knowing that not every aspect of the plot has to be perfect can help with that, but I still worry about it quite often... Especially because I think about my stories and characters an awful lot.

But the thing that has by far helped me the most with writer's block was right here on these forums, the RPG section to be specific. Joining RPG's forces me to either come up with new character ideas, develop existing characters further, and even get plot ideas from their interactions with the story and other characters. I once started an RPG based off a story I'm planning to write, hoping that could give me some ideas for it. There's just something about being in a group that helps ideas flow better...

Also, whenever I watch a movie or read a book, there is a very high chance that I come up with an idea for one of my stories or characters. Music doesn't really seem to help that much for me, though it sometimes helps me concentrate once I do work up the courage to start writing.

I have claimed Celestia Ludenberg from Dangan Ronpa. --My Updated RPer profile--

RPG's I'm in now: Gauntlet of the Greek God Guardians (Zuri), Castle of the Vampire King (Bianca and Lilith)
    Current RPG Project: Earthbound: The Rainbow Omen (Sign-ups) (RPG thread) (Discussion)

I'll usually go and take a walk for about a mile or two during the morning or a time in the afternoon where people are not usually about or bike if the writers/artists block is really bad. Getting my blood going is one of the best cures for my writer's block.

Wait it out and then WRITE MOAR.

I definitely agree with everybody who suggested listening to music, because I rarely ever write when not listening to music.

I'm not sure I've ever had writer's block in the sense where you simply stare at a blank page and cannot for the life of you write anything. I've had moods where I simply don't feel like writing, although I want to, but that's it.
    Click to read: :daer ot kcilC

A trilogy with action, adventure, mystery and suspense, healthy doses of humor, and a whole lot of Legendaries.