Thread: Fire Pledge, Water Pledge, and Grass Pledge

Default Fire Pledge, Water Pledge, and Grass Pledge

I recently picked up the Pokemon Black and White Strategy Guide from my local library, and was skimming through to see if there was anything from the main story I might have overlooked. I was pleasantly surprised to find the locations of a few items I missed, but I also discovered information about the combination moves I had not before seen online.

If Fire Pledge and Grass Pledge are used, the move will transform into a single Fire type move with 150 Base power. A sea of flames which damages the opposing Pokemon appears afterwards.

If Water Pledge and Fire Pledge are used, the move will transform into a single Water type move with 150 Base power. A rainbow which increases the likelihood of added effects appears afterwards.

If Grass Pledge and Water Pledge are used, the move will transform into a single Grass type move with 150 Base power. A swamp which lowers the opposing Pokemons' speed appears afterwards.

I had previously not known this information, I thought that usage of two of these moves on the same turn would result in 50 base power each and then create the respective effect, but I guess they really combine.

I have a couple questions about these moves though:
    1) Which Pokemon's Special Attack is used in calculating the damage done by a combination move?
    2) Does the 150 base power combination attack receive STAB?
    3) Is there any speed manipulation involved in combination attacks? If my Fire Pokemon has the fastest speed on the field, yet my Grass Pokemon is the slowest on the field, will the moves still combine before the opponent gets to attack?

I really feel that these moves could result in prime strategies for Double and Triple Battles, so let's discuss.
    Wifi service for Gens IV and V closes May 30th! Get your Dream World Females while you still can!

I have the following Dream World Females up for trade: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .

I'm looking for pretty much anything I don't have, but I'm specifically looking for DWF Durant right now.

So PM me and we can work out a trade! My Black Version FC is 2881-9364-7814.

The damage doesn't double or combine, the Pokemon just attack one after another (I think, IIRC the second attack's power may double).

FireGrass effectively hits all your foes with a four turn Fire Spin.

WaterFire gives all your Pokemon Serene Grace (I'm not sure about the opponent)

GrassWater for all intents and purposes gives you a free Tailwind

The Serene Grace one could be cool and the Fire Spin thing would really add up with sandstorm or Hail. The Tailwind one.. well you might as well just use Tailwind.

^What she said.

Credit to emerald goblin for any team america stuff
    I'm back nigg@s!! Sorry of things look crappy I have to everything from my phone
    If you like Monster Hunter than come join me in MH3g. Yes, be assured: EDGE has reported a worldwide release this year, probably in November or December.

We're also looking for a fifth member of our Elder Scrolls Online group. We'll be keeping as a group for the whole game. We're deciding on which faction to be in but all opinions count for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    The damage doesn't double or combine, the Pokemon just attack one after another (I think, IIRC the second attack's power may double).
    I tested it in-game with my Samurott and Venusaur in a wild double battle. The Pokemon which goes first gets this message: "[Pokemon] is waiting for [Pokemon's] attack!" The moves combine into one move that targets one Pokemon, if I didn't make that clear already. Grass + Fire = Fire Type move, Grass + Water = Grass Type move, and Water + Fire = Water Type move. You can target two different Pokemon with your two pledges, but the move that is of the type that wins out in each equation is the only one that hits. If someone could test all three at once in a Triple Battle and see what it does, that would be highly appreciated
    Wifi service for Gens IV and V closes May 30th! Get your Dream World Females while you still can!

I have the following Dream World Females up for trade: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .

I'm looking for pretty much anything I don't have, but I'm specifically looking for DWF Durant right now.

I tried that weeks ago. The fastest 2 pokčmon use their combined pledge, and the slowest uses their regular pledge.
    Friend Code: 5329-0653-7118

I EV Train For Items/DW Pokčmon!

Spoiler:- MM Shiny Target:

FireGrass, as Blue Harvest stated, could add up in Sandstorm/Hail/Toxic, though I wonder if any Fire starter would be good in Sandstorm.

WaterGrass gives you a free Tailwind, though since two Prankster Pokemon (Whimsicott and Tornadus) have Tailwind, just go with Tailwind.

FireWater seems the most useful, an 150 base Water type move that boosts Secondary effects likelihood. Especially if you combine it with Serene Grace. Can you say Togekiss with Ancient power, Roost, Ominous Wind and Aura Sphere?

are the effects permanent? (ie last longer than tailwind)?

I have claimed Giratina

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser soze View Post
    thats what i wanna know- how long do the effects last?
    I claim Larvitar!

Quote Originally Posted by chanseychansey77 View Post
    FireWater seems the most useful, an 150 base Water type move that boosts Secondary effects likelihood. Especially if you combine it with Serene Grace. Can you say Togekiss with Ancient power, Roost, Ominous Wind and Aura Sphere?
    The effect doesn't stack if your Pokemon already has Serene Grace. I see it being useful with Scald or Discharge.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser soze View Post
    The effects last 5 turns.

I pledge allegiance, to the flag...
    Braviary should so get pledge of allegiance as a move.

On Topic: You know, I never thought about using the pledges instead of TW, it might be a good idea.
    "Love without truth is not real love, truth without love is not real truth"
    [IMG]http://oi51.*******.com/qn1ftl.jpg[/IMG]
    Credit to Wolftamer
        Spoiler:- Quote:

^The move name would be too long for the game's script. :P

Don't be such a party pooper =P It could be shortened I guess.
    "Love without truth is not real love, truth without love is not real truth"
    [IMG]http://oi51.*******.com/qn1ftl.jpg[/IMG]
    Credit to Wolftamer
        Spoiler:- Quote:

Fire Pledge + Water Pledge... then follow it up with Rock Slide given to a fast Pokemon? It's kind of hax-y, but you'll totally incapitate both opposing Pokemon roughly 29% of the time. Air Slash on Charizard looks good too. Typhlosion's Lava Plume with 30% burn chance doubled? Yes please!

And here I thought these moves were useless. I just thought the secondary effects were flavor text...

Does the Fire-Grass prevent the foe from switching, just like other trapping type moves? It'd be pretty cool if it did.
    "I now understand the basics of battle, but have much yet left to learn of combat. While I can hold my own, I cannot call myself anything more than a trainer"

Quote Originally Posted by Swagmander View Post
    Fire Pledge + Water Pledge... then follow it up with Rock Slide given to a fast Pokemon? It's kind of hax-y, but you'll totally incapitate both opposing Pokemon roughly 29% of the time. Air Slash on Charizard looks good too. Typhlosion's Lava Plume with 30% burn chance doubled? Yes please!
    lols at the sight of opponents pokčmon all burned in 1 turn.
    -
    It's better than Will-O-Wisp! XD

I have a big question regarding these moves, however. If one Pokemon faints while awaiting the other's pledge move, do the two moves combine? I doubt it...

Quote Originally Posted by Donovansrb10 View Post
    lols at the sight of opponents pokčmon all burned in 1 turn.
    -
    It's better than Will-O-Wisp! XD
    Proof: 60% chance to burn each enemy, while doing damage, or 75% to burn one with no damage.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

These moves really could be interesting...

--But--, they'll require good synergy. Just like anything, you can't just throw them together. I figure it'll be outclassed by other things, like Landorus and Thunderus in double battles. BUT, they really do have a chance to shine. You just can't throw them out there though. Hmmm...

... Water+Fire pledge suicide-ish leads, with Politoed and Dragonite next... Dragonite getting "Serene Grace" with 100% accuracy Hurricane, and an increased chance of confusion... Now that would be hell.

Your demise...
    [IMG]http://i55.*******.com/35lyr0h.jpg[/IMG]
    ... Is near

Spoiler:- Clan:

Spoiler:- My Monotypes.Look here if you dare.VM me if you wish to challenge them on PO.:

Quote Originally Posted by JASP01 View Post
    These moves really could be interesting...

--But--, they'll require good synergy. Just like anything, you can't just throw them together. I figure it'll be outclassed by other things, like Landorus and Thunderus in double battles. BUT, they really do have a chance to shine. You just can't throw them out there though. Hmmm...

... Water+Fire pledge suicide-ish leads, with Politoed and Dragonite next... Dragonite getting "Serene Grace" with 100% accuracy Hurricane, and an increased chance of confusion... Now that would be hell.
    I've thrown teams together without synergy. As long as they work well together.

Well, you'll still want decent synergy, so Sandroom Porygon2/Tyranitar/Gigalith with no fighting resistance.

And the politoed would be scarfed into Scald or Ice beam.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

I'd Tailwind first before going with Water + Fire, I think leading with Swampert and Whimsicott (two common OUs anyway) would throw off the opponent of your hax strategy. Then you could switch/U-Turn into Typhlosion (Which resists three of Whimsicott's weaknesses). Commence devastating with Swampert's Muddy Water and Typlosion's Lava Plume.

Pledges are very confusing so I don't use them

3DS FC: 3067 - 5438 - 9132

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii.net
    Effect:
    When you use the move Grass Oath and then the move Fire Oath during a Double or Triple battle, the move will combine and create a field of fire....

When you use the move Fire Oath and then the move Water Oath during a Double or Triple battle, the move will combine and create a a rainbow....

When you use the move Water Oath and then the move Grass Oath during a Double or Triple battle, the move will combine and turn the field into a swamp....
    so, does this mean that the order of the moves used matters? if so, it will throw off my plans for a pledging team.
    Don't click this.
    Friend code:
    2537 3221 1504
    Name: Crabman

A gift from Sizida