Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fan Fiction Audiobooks?

Default Fan Fiction Audiobooks?

Okay, this is just an idea. (Don't bite my head off.)

There is plenty off fan fiction on the forum both completed and on-going that I would love to catch up to but I don't actually get that much time to sit at my computer and read it. It would be a pain to print it out and annoying to keep the pages in a clearfile or something. (Especially when I don't have a printer at the moment... >.>)

This is an idea for discussion, what if someone was willing to record themselves reading chapters of the more popular fan fiction of the forum? From there they could upload it to a file sharing site and it could be downloaded and listened to on the bus or in bed via an mp3 player. (Hopefully not in class, right everyone?)

Now, I would offer to do this myself because I personally love reading aloud (and having my voice on random peoples ipod's) but my voice is lame and my New Zealand accent would make me hard to understand.

EDIT: But apparently my accent isn't that bad so I shouldn't worry about it.

So I guess I have to ask some questions or if you are one of those awesome "reply in a wall of text" people of the authors cafe you can do it your way.

1. Would you be interested in listening to fan fiction audiobooks on your mp3 player?

2. Would you be interested in recording your readings and hosting them for other people to listen to? (With recording software like Audacity of something.)

3. What potential good points and pitfalls do you see with this idea?

I just think this would be a great way for use to catch up on fan fiction that we have put in the "I'll read it later" category that is actually really good once we get around to reading it. I'm looking at you Anima Ex Machina.

Please discuss, I have really enjoyed listening to audio books and I would be interested if anyone else shared/disagreed with me!

And here are the audio book thingies that have been created in the thread:

Absconditus Infensus 1: The Fiend Of The Cathedral
    Last edited by moonlightning; 8th July 2011 at 7:18 AM.
    Lol.

Firstly, I'm objecting to the statement about New Zealand accents. :< As for the actual idea . . .

1. Yeah. I'd like to be able to listen to fanfiction on my iPod, as long as it was well read. I also find little time to sit down and read, because at absolutely any time, I'd rather be writing my own fic than reading someone else's. (ha ha, selfish lil me, huh?) But I would enjoy being able to listen to other people's fics, yes.

2. Yeah, I'd love to give it a go myself. I'd find it fantastic to read Champion Game aloud and see what other people thought of it in that medium. To be honest, it's something I have toyed with on occasion, though never that seriously.

3. As for the legal issue you mention with 'downloading anything based on something that isn't ours', I'm pretty sure that's a non-issue. Plenty of fanfic authors who don't host their fics on forums like Serebii or dedicated databases like fanfiction.net - and even some who do - offer their fanfiction as a downloadable .pdf file or the like from their own website, and this is simply another medium of that.

Yeah, I do the odd wall of text, but not tonight. I have writing to do.

Champion Game
    Latest: Chapter Thirty-Five - Invidia et Ira
    Next: Chapter Thirty-Six: Can We Please Focus?
    Something's Got To Give (4)
    When the Sleeper Stirs (1) [FFTA2]

Firstly, I'm objecting to the statement about New Zealand accents. :< As for the actual idea . . .
    I would like to believe my accent is as annoying as anyone else's!

1. Yeah. I'd like to be able to listen to fanfiction on my iPod, as long as it was well read. I also find little time to sit down and read, because at absolutely any time, I'd rather be writing my own fic than reading someone else's. (ha ha, selfish lil me, huh?) But I would enjoy being able to listen to other people's fics, yes.
    My problem exactly. Especially when people could be awkwardly looking over your shoulder at any time!

2. Yeah, I'd love to give it a go myself. I'd find it fantastic to read Champion Game aloud and see what other people thought of it in that medium. To be honest, it's something I have toyed with on occasion, though never that seriously.
    Please do! I'd listen to it! And I would be able to review afterward. Champion Game is one of those fics in the "I'll read and review it later" category. I'm sure no matter how bad your voice is, (and I'm sure it's not bad) we should get used to it eventually.

3. As for the legal issue you mention with 'downloading anything based on something that isn't ours', I'm pretty sure that's a non-issue. Plenty of fanfic authors who don't host their fics on forums like Serebii or dedicated databases like fanfiction.net - and even some who do - offer their fanfiction as a downloadable .pdf file or the like from their own website, and this is simply another medium of that.
    Good. I had a little paranoid "the fed's are after me" moment while I was making the thread and I slotted that in. I might remove it. :P

Yeah, I do the odd wall of text, but not tonight. I have writing to do.
    Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by moonlightning View Post
    My problem exactly. Especially when people could be awkwardly looking over your shoulder at any time!
    I tend to sit at the back of the class / in my room with my back to the wall, so that's not really a problem for me. I do have time to read fanfiction, but there's often something else I really need/want to do, be it homework, writing or something else.

Please do! I'd listen to it! And I would be able to review afterward. Champion Game is one of those fics in the "I'll read and review it later" category. I'm sure no matter how bad your voice is, (and I'm sure it's not bad) we should get used to it eventually.
    Well, my voice isn't that bad, I think. You, at least, should understand it - I come from New Zealand too, hence my objection to your comment about the accent

But still, I'll find where I installed Audacity and give it a whirl sometime this week . . . there'd have to be nobody else around, which is hard . . .

Good. I had a little paranoid "the fed's are after me" moment while I was making the thread and I slotted that in. I might remove it. :P
    That's just my personal opinion. I'm fairly sure in it, though - still, you might want to check with someone who knows a little more about the subject.

Champion Game

1. Would you be interested in listening to fan fiction audiobooks on your mp3 player?
    Totally. I love reading fiction, but as I struggle between homework an stuff, it's annoying. I usually end up missing like 5 hours of Serebii activity while I read, because I have to do homework and juggle some others forums. And read aloud fics would take less time to do. Listening, I mean. Reading it aloud for others: Not so much. Bet hey, I totaly would listen. If I had an mp3

2. Would you be interested in recording your readings and hosting them for other people to listen to? (With recording software like Audacity of something.)
    Definitely. If others were interested, I would allot time do it. That is, if my brother wasn't such an evil bro and would shut up. But yeah, I would totally read aloud fics people like. I'd even try to do voice, for the lulz, ya know?

One major good point would be that rather than consuming time reading the fic slowly at your pace, having it read aloud would take less time. Usually. It all depends on the person reading it, and how many mistakes they make during the reading. Though the odd mistake could be hilarious

One bad point would be accents. Now, I'm not singling out any accents. However, most people are more used to the accents of their home place, and as such listening to those who have a different accent would take a bit of getting used to.

Another factor is the words. For a person to read aloud and fiction, they need to be able to properly pronounce the words. However, some higher levels of description from some stories includes exotic words that some people will just "huhwut?" over. And even if said word is pronounced correctly, the reader may not know. And because it is being said rather than read, they may not be able to find out its meaning. And that can be annoying. (Admittedly, one can simply guess the meaning of a word from its sentence)
    [/COLOR][/I][/CENTER]

Another factor is the words. For a person to read aloud and fiction, they need to be able to properly pronounce the words. However, some higher levels of description from some stories includes exotic words that some people will just "huhwut?" over. And even if said word is pronounced correctly, the reader may not know. And because it is being said rather than read, they may not be able to find out its meaning. And that can be annoying. (Admittedly, one can simply guess the meaning of a word from its sentence)
    I guess this is why, ideally, we'd want people reading their own fics. I mean, you used it, you must know how to say it, right? Right?

As well as that, having the author read a fic gives it a personal touch that would be hard to achieve with somebody else doing it for them.

Champion Game

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon user X View Post
    I guess this is why, ideally, we'd want people reading their own fics. I mean, you used it, you must know how to say it, right? Right?

As well as that, having the author read a fic gives it a personal touch that would be hard to achieve with somebody else doing it for them.
    Oh god, if they PUT ON THE CHARACTERS VOICES! That would perhaps make it the most awesome, the most terrible or the most hilarious thing ever. Aslynn, your points have given me lots to think about. You've identified quite a few flaws in my idea which is helpful!
    Lol.

Yeah, actually, that was the first thing that popped into my head after that last post - character voices. I'm currently a sixteen-year-old male with quite a deep voice, so I have no idea how I'd pull off Roxanne or Natasha, for example, without sounding like I was taking the mickey. :/

Then again, Stephen Fry does a wonderful Hermione Granger.

Then again, Stephen Fry is Stephen Fry.

Champion Game

Anima Ex Machina for audiobook! Sorry, but I was re-reading it during my seven-hour car trip today. I'm in high fan-girl mode. (I would totally volunteer to read it. xD)

Of course. I love reading fan-fiction, but listening to it on the go would be great, especially for such things as long car rides or airplane trips. Sometimes, let's face it, we're bone tired, and squinting against the computer screen light is a pain. With audiobooks, you just relax, close your eyes, and listen to the fan-fiction instead.

Hehe, yes, I would, if people would be interested in it. I've actually done some fan-fiction voice acting on the PokemonElite2000 forums (you basically post scenes of your fan-fiction and see if anybody would like like to voice the characaters) and liked it. Though I'm bad at changing my voice for certain characters, I love inflecting my voice in order to show their mood (sarcastic, dubious, and so on.) It's just really fun to do.

Well, though I love reading fan-fiction aloud, my annunciation isn't all that great. It could get discouraging for those who feel the same way about their own voices. I also see people becoming discouraged by mistakes when recording. (As for accents, personally, I find them fascinating, especially if English isn't their native language.)

That's another thing: what if an author doesn't speak English as well as they write it? They might feel uncomfortable about speaking English if they know native English speakers will listen to it, whether be it because of their accent, their uncertainty in pronunciation, etc. (Because English pronunciation is nowhere near as predictable as some other languages.)

One of the good things that might come out of it is inspiring new motivation within the author. Maybe voice acting their past chapters will give them the motivation they need to write that chapter they've been stuck on. Also, it can help you get into your characters' minds, if you are willing to inflect your voice to match that of your character. Suddenly, their dialogue becomes a conversation rather than just words on screen.

- Kat
    Last edited by Phantom Kat; 3rd July 2011 at 11:23 AM.

[IMG]http://i46.*******.com/34oaljq.jpg[/IMG]

.: Banner by EmBreon | Badge by Northern Lights:.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Kat View Post
    One of the good things that might come out of it is inspiring new motivation within the author. Maybe voice acting their past chapters will give them the motivation they need write that next chapter. Also, it can help you get into your characters' minds, if you are willing to inflect your voice to match that of your character.

- Kat
    This this this, a million times this. Audiobooks would be a fantastic way to reboot what can often become a waning interest in a particular fanfic. I know sometimes I just don't feel like writing a particular fic any more, but this could make a perfect motivator~! I also agree with what was said about characters . . . Ren in particular is a bit of a blank slate at the moment, so I'd love to give him some more character through reading it aloud.

Champion Game

1. Don't have an mp3 player.

2. Yeah. I'm rather interested in voice acting, so it could be fun.

3. It really depends on a person's voice and acting. Somebody could have a really annoying voice or just be really dull and unenthused, which would really hinder (maybe even deter) the listening experience.
    Claimed: Grovyle - November 10th, 2013
    Chapter 21 is up.

I have an Ipod, but it would be intriguing to listen to them when I have time.

Yeah, I would. Just one little problem with that...

As much as I love writing, I couldn't speak legible English if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to do so. I have this horrible little accent (forget your New Zealand accent; try an accent that's a combination between Midwestern, Missouri bootheel, and slight Irish brogue. You'd never be able to decipher some of the words I say - and I don't even do that on purpose) that prevents me from speaking proper English. Add that in with natural quietness and timidity when I speak, and it would be a complete disaster. Same goes for anyone else who has a strong accent or is shy when they speak.

The concept is nice and all, but I'll have to stick with writing alone.
    CURRENT STORY

A Time for Everything - Kalos has lived peacefully for far too long, following the ideals of the corrupt. It's time to change that... An AU of X/Y.

LOL Oh my gosh, my friend keeps on telling me that I should do an audiobook for Forsaken, and I'm all just "Uhh..." XD. I'm actually a little happy someone else has the same idea he has.

But enough of that freaky coincidence.

If I had another MP3 player, I might. I'd think it'd sound rather interesting to listen to a dramatic reading person voice as the narrator, and the numerous characters.

Like I mentioned at the very beginning: a friend of mine keeps saying "We should do an audiobook for Forsaken", which would get me nervous. Because honestly, that's what we have dramatic readings for, even if only the laughable/bad fanfics get that honor. I suppose it was because I was thinking of the legality through it all, you know?

Now let's say I decide to actually go ahead with it. Okay, I've been practicing with voice-acting, and I have been told I've been doing it well. So if I knew more about Audacity and could change up my voice to match characters (because I doubt I can make my voice do numerous deep voices naturally), I might. If I have so much fun writing the story, imagine my fun reading it out-loud. But I'd have to find a quiet, rather isolated place where no one can bother/hear me, and lots and lots of spare time. I technically have neither of them. But say I don't want to voice my own story. Who would I get to read it out-loud? That is where the problem comes in.

But anyway, it sounds like a fun idea anyway, and if we were just doing it for fun, I would totally do it. Otherwise... yeah, it would broaden it out to more audiences in a way, but this is a long, long story (even though there are longer books out there who may even have audiobooks), and I doubt the reader would survive past chapter four all in one-sitting or even one TAPE.

So I don't know, let's just say I'm half-and-half on it all.

XD I think I just answered all that in the previous question. Because there's the length, finding the (brave soul) right person to read it out-loud, play ALL the characters--isn't there some sort of hidden rule about understanding what the story is about before performing an audiobook? Just asking--and fight back raw emotion. The characters will feel the emotion, but they need to be the one who can imitate the emotions well switching between characters. And that takes talent, I honestly can't think of a person who can really do that. I'd hate to listen to an audiobook where the reader is choking on tears or something.

tl;dr: Fan fiction audiobooks sounds like a lot of fun! I'd totally volunteer my story or even my voice for one! We'll deal with legality/monetary issues when we cross that bridge, because this sounds enjoyable to do.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by moonlightning View Post
    Now, I would offer to do this myself because I personally love reading aloud (and having my voice on random peoples ipod's) but my voice is lame and my New Zealand accent would make me hard to understand.
    Let me just put this here. The Australian/New Zealand accent is the best female accent in the world.

Let me also just put this here. I am British, therefore I believe I'm totally qualified to VA Bill for the Anime Ex Machina audiobook that is definitely happening :P

I've listened to the Harry Potter audiobooks (Stephen Fry version of course) and found them very enjoyable when walking, (although that might just be Stephen Fry) Seeing as I go everywhere with my iPod, it's a great idea.

Duncan, an old member who doesn't come here anymore, (at least to my knowledge) made a video, with creepy atmospheric music and the text of his fic coming up so you could read it that way, I don't have the video, nor the enthusiasm of point proving to go find it, but it was fun.

If I had the equipment and free time then I could see myself doing something like it. I've recently found what lengths I will go to, to entertain myself when I'm bored and surrounded by available materials.

I think, aside from possible legal pitfalls, the only bad thing would be actually getting around to doing it, if it was just yourself then you could probably find the time to do it rather easily but if you were doing it as a group effort then collating all of the recordings would probably be a pain.
    Skogsrĺ

Gardenia never liked the Old Chateau, but what if the Old Chateau liked her?

Author's Profile

1. Yes, I would love to. Not only do I have the issue of "OMG, this screen is green and the text is black so looks like a giant wall of close colors an-" but I also have the issue of "if I read this, I won't be writing my own fan-fic."

Plus, you get to hear how the story is told by how the original author wants it to be. The way the voices sound, everything. So, I would love to do that.

2. Well, I don't think I have written any fictions that are nessecarily good enough for people to actually want to listen to them, but when I do, I would love to.

3. Okay, I'll start with the good news. The good news is that this will give people more chances to hear fanfics. You can listen to audio-books while driving, working, and a bunch of other stuff.

The downfall is that sometimes things sound better in your mind rather than read-aloud.

Like as in "Please...don't leave me." sounds a lot more intense in your head rather than having someone narrarate(god, I just can't spell today) it.

But overall, this sounds like a good idea.

banner made by myself

Totally. Like everyone else, sometimes I don't feel like reading if I had been looking at the computer too long, so listening to it would be great. It's like listening to a radio drama of sorts, haha.

I actually tried to read aloud a passage of my fic one time and it was fun. However, I tend to mumble a lot so people won't understand what I had just said. XD; Maybe if I practice voice acting more I might get better at it.

Quote Originally Posted by aggiegwyn View Post
    3. Okay, I'll start with the good news. The good news is that this will give people more chances to hear fanfics. You can listen to audio-books while driving, working, and a bunch of other stuff.

The downfall is that sometimes things sound better in your mind rather than read-aloud.

Like as in "Please...don't leave me." sounds a lot more intense in your head rather than having someone narrarate(god, I just can't spell today) it.
    Pretty much this. The main pitfall would be a scene sounded better in you head than when you heard it. Whenever I read, I tend to already have the voices of the characters and how they said things already in my mind.

And before I go...

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Kat View Post
    One of the good things that might come out of it is inspiring new motivation within the author. Maybe voice acting their past chapters will give them the motivation they need to write that chapter they've been stuck on. Also, it can help you get into your characters' minds, if you are willing to inflect your voice to match that of your character. Suddenly, their dialogue becomes a conversation rather than just words on screen.
    Hm, never thought of doing that before. I tend to have trouble writing dialogue and make the conversation flow well, so this might help me out a bit. The only thing is I'll have to do this when my whole family is out of the house so that they don't worry why I'm suddenly talking to myself in different voices. x_x

Tumblr | FFnet | Author's Profile| Archive of Our Own | Banner: Umi Mizuno
    I'm still writing, but probably not much Pokemon stuff at the moment. HAM!

Just so y'all know, I would be totally A-OK if an audiobook of AEM existed. I would do it myself, but unfortunately, I barely have time to write the blinking thing as it is, not to mention gnomes made off with my headset at some point. Also, any attempt I make at Queen's English sucks. And I would pay to hear Diddy's Bill impression.

Anyway! To answer!

YES. First off, I could use something to cure boredom on my commutes when all I've got is my iPod. Second, sometimes, I like to listen to certain terms and names, just because I usually pronounce them weirdly in my head if I'm left to my own imagination, and I'm always curious to know how far off I am. (You don't want to know how I thought "Hermione" was pronounced before I saw the movies or heard someone else say her name.)

Third, it'd be interesting to hear how certain lines are said. I sort of have to disagree with aggiegwyn here. Sometimes, I downplay the emotion in a scene, so it'd be interesting to hear how a character actually reacts in certain situations, if that makes any sense.

I would totally do it. Especially once I find and beat the crap out of those gnomes. And gain the ability to stop time.

Well, the good points are as you've said. Not everyone has time to sit down and actually read a fic, so this would be like added advertisement. You'd get to hear a snippet (or the whole thing), and that should hopefully get you to think about reading the rest later -- if not just give you a means to "read" a fic when you're not at a computer. Not to mention, as I've said before, it will help listeners get an idea of how characters are reacting to scenes, what their voices are like, and how to pronounce the blinking lexicon that authors put forth.

Not to mention, let's face it. It'd be fun.

Pitfalls? Off the top of my head, there's the fact that it'll take some time to do, of course. There's also the fact that if you're trying to tackle someone else's work, there's the risk that you'll end up not entirely capturing what the author had in mind. (For example, I know that a lot of people mispronounce "ixodida." But for a non-egotistical example, a speaker runs at a risk of not capturing the exact emotion of a character's line -- yelling instead of speaking softly or something like that.)

But both can pretty much be overcome with some author's feedback and the fact that people in this fandom are also crazy-awesome.
    Last edited by JX Valentine; 3rd July 2011 at 8:09 PM.

REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

I can't make really long posts because my computer's messing up, but, 1. i'd love to listen to audio fanfics, it'd really be convinient, especially in my busy life
    2. I'd like to try to read some out loud, but i don't know how to upload them...

Oh, we had a thread about this once, it was quite interesting. :>

God, yes.

I am bad, bad, baaaad when it comes to reading fics, partly because I hate reading off a computer screen. I have printed fics before, but I dislike it. Being able to listen to a fellow fic-lover from heaven-knows-where reading to me on the bus would be both very cool and really handy to me. :>

2. Would you be interested in recording your readings and hosting them for other people to listen to?
    If I had a good program and good microphone, absolutely.

I think it would be silly to try without the proper equipment. I don't want to put in all the effort of reading and editing an entire story if the sound quality is going to be terrible. A good mic is a must.

With that, yes, it could be fun, even if it's not just for my own fics (plus doing a recording for someone else's fic would give me an excuse to read it, haha). I love acting, and this would also be a fun excuse to give voice acting a try, especially since I love to read things with some degree of power/drama (sometimes to my family's annoyance, haha).

The Good:
    • You can go through more fics in less time without being tied to a computer screen.
    • Fan fiction is brought to life in a new, invigorating way.
    • Characters are brought to life and given personality in a new way.
    • Authors have a new way to communicate with their readers and add interesting Author's Notes.
    • You can get different, interesting interpretations with different voices and accents. Imo, most accents are easy to understand, too.
    • You get to hear fellow fic-writers and readers from around the world serenading you on the bus or in your bed. X3

The Bad:
    • Not everyone has a good, clear speaking voice. Some people mumble, some people don't enunciate, some people may stumble over words, some people speak too quickly. Not everyone will make a good reader.
    • Not everyone has or will invest in a good microphone or good editing software, so the finished product may not sound very good. But hey, we're not professionals.
    • If the reader isn't the author, they may have even more trouble reading the fic or giving the characters the sort of life the writer envisioned for them. Dialogue may sound corny, too.
    • If you're a reviewer, it may be harder to write a review without the text in front of you.

This always was a neat idea, and I'd loooove to see it done.

~Psychic

Like Kutie Pie said, it'd be hard to juggle voices. For fics with a gazillion/million characters that appear often, like my BIG poject, I'd be like "*Starts doing girly voice for Mewtwo- Realises whats happening*" xD

And besides, the author may have a clear vision of what they reckon their character would sound like, but are unable to do that voice themselves. I have that issue, because if I have a character that has a british accent, I'll have to do my best attempt, which will sound horrible (No offense intended to the Brits)

And most of us would have the really annoying issue of finding time. For me, I'd have to juggle between a loud brother who can't shut up for the life of him, a sister who blares music super loud and interruptions from parents. And homework. The thought of all that juggling time would put most people off, wouldn't it?

And I say Ummm and like to much. It,like, totally, like, sucks! xD
    [/COLOR][/I][/CENTER]

I suppose, yes (assuming I can find a iPod to computer cord :/). Though I haven't ever listened to other audio books; but the concept seems good.

Yup, if people would be interested in listening.

Good
    *character voices - imagine the fun you could have with them!
    *give writers a chance to read (or listen) over what they've written.
    *it's fanfiction away from the computer screen
    *all the merits of normal audiobooks (eg listening whilst jogging/cooking/lying down . . .)

Bad
    *accents (even if the New Zealand accent is awesome)
    *reviewing - would be harder than written text

Undecided
    *Audio reviews . . .
    ┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Let me just put this here. The Australian/New Zealand accent is the best female accent in the world.
    Yet another reason that it would be advantageous for me to get a sex change to female in the Fan Fiction world.

Moving on. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by kjt View Post
    Audio reviews . . .[/COLOR]
    That. . . could be interesting. I imagine it would be a lot easier to comment if you could just ramble on out loud. Plus, you wouldn't be hindered by the whole "writing a report" style of review that, while helpful to the author, can be a pain. A fic can become less fun when you have to write something about it.

Adding to the discussion: Would you be interested in background music in a fan fiction audiobook?

I imagine that having a theme in the background of a reading (not loud, we still want to hear the thing!) of a fan fiction would add atmosphere to a story. Like someone said, it would be like more of a radio drama. If there was the sounds of a busy crowd, a quiet forest or a raging storm we could really add to what we could do previously when just working with the written word.

Of course, we would have to deal with copyright side of things more seriously.

As for voice actors, I'm sure it would be easy to find a few people willing to submit their voices and read a few lines. I guess it would be customary for the author to do the main narration. (Unless they had a fanbase crazy enough about the fic.) I do admit that it would be a chore to copy and paste the dialog in between the narration but it isn't impossible.

Of course, you can always just read the damn thing without any special voices like a teacher would read a story to the class. I'm pretty sure that would still be just fine.

Oh, and battle music.
    Lol.

I think it's a great idea and, considering I don't read as many stories as I would like, I'd be very interested in downloading them and listening to them on the way to school/work/bed/whatever.

Well I don't have a microphone on my computer (well, I might, I've just never used it and I'm aware of it XD) and no external one, but if I could get ahold of one and get past the awkwardness of hearing my own recorded voice and the inevitably cheesy acting, I'd like to give it a shot, I guess.

Most of them have been listed. The voices is really the biggest problem I see but if the speaker can get over that or find someone to do the voices they can't manage that wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Actually, I think the emotion of the reading could be a big problem. I've done speaking competitions in the past and simply understanding that the emotion is present doesn't automatically give one the ability to convey that vocally (coming from both frustration of not being able to get one specific line said the way I want it when I read to seeing others read their own pieces without stumbling but just in a way that doesn't work so well).

Edit: Would you be interested in background music in a fan fiction audiobook?
    I love this idea, providing that the music chosen isn't just an excuse for the author to show off their extensive, obscure collection or whatever. Simple and unobtrusive would be essential for this idea to work but if the person got it right it could do wonders for the listening experience.
    Last edited by [Imaginative]:[Clockwork]; 4th July 2011 at 6:40 AM.

Would you be interested in background music in a fan fiction audiobook?
    Oh yeah. Definitely.
    Of course, the author of the fic using the backround music would need to choose music that fits the scene and/or chapter. If I were to do it with any of my stories, I'd have to compiled a playlist that would be on repeat the entire time.
    The music would also need to be done quietly, because otherwise how will your adoring fans hear your amazing voice reading their absolute favorite story? :P

But yeah, it'd be awesome. But then theres the copyright issues...... ugh. ugh. ugh. ugh. Copyright is annoying.

If I had to my way, I'd write my own songs for backround music so I can claim no copyright. But I'd need a band for that, and.... no.
    [/COLOR][/I][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Aslynn♥Pokemon View Post
    But yeah, it'd be awesome. But then theres the copyright issues...... ugh. ugh. ugh. ugh. Copyright is annoying.
    Technically speaking, fan media itself (i.e., fanfiction, fanart, fan games, and so forth) is already treading shady waters when it comes to copyright on the virtue of being, you know, unauthorized publications based on/using elements of something someone else already owns. In laymen's terms, that means that on a technical level, fanfiction authors are sort of already violating copyright anyway; it's just that the creators of Pokémon don't particularly care that much, considering we're not making money off it (and it's free advertisement anyway). So, an audiobook based on a person's fanfiction is most likely not going to be a big deal because that's like saying you stole a stick of gum off a pack someone else shoplifted from a store. Only, you know, not quite as dramatic, but the point is, if the creators actually had an issue with the whole project, they'd probably first look at the fact that someone was publishing stories about their stuff in the first place, not that someone else created an audio reading of it later on.

Not to mention if someone does create an audiobook for someone else's fanfiction, the original author would have presumably given the fan the OK to do it. So, I'm pretty sure there's really nothing to worry about when it comes to copyright issues, actually.

Aaaanyway...

Would you be interested in background music in a fan fiction audiobook?

Depends on the music and the editing skills of the maker. I mean, if the music just doesn't fit the scene and if it's too loud/not quite timed correctly, that might serve as a distraction from what's being said. On the other hand, if it's done right, I think it could add a little something -- just like the radio drama you mentioned. Same thing with sound effects, come to think of it, although that might be pushing it, really.

REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast