Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do Pokemon say their names when they speak?

Default Why do Pokemon say their names when they speak?

And I don't want to hear the answer, "so kids can know what species they are." This is like asking how a Poke Ball works or how Ash is still ten in that we theorize how this make sense in the Pokemon World itself.

So, theorize away, guys.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    And I don't want to hear the answer, "so kids can know what species they are." This is like asking how a Poke Ball works or how Ash is still ten in that we theorize how this make sense in the Pokemon World itself.

So, theorize away, guys.
    So kids can know what species they are. (sorry had to say it xD ) Honestly, that's really the best answer. The writers decided to go with the stupid concept of a Pokemon saying various parts of it's name in various tones to communicate as it assists children in remembering the Pokemon's species. The fact that say, a Pikachu will say things like "Pi Pi Pi chu, chu, Pika" is usually enough to remind even young toddlers which Pokemon is which.

It's stupid to us older fans, but it never bothered me when I was a kid. Since the show is marketed towards children, they tend to design is with children in mind.

From a theoretical perspective, I think a better question is "HOW do Pokemon communicate using only various configurations of their name?". Science doesn't talk about "why" in most cases, so if you're looking for a scientific discussion, you're going to have to go with a different question.
    Last edited by GetOutOfBox; 7th July 2011 at 2:16 AM.
    Feel free to PM me if you have tech problems or questions.
    Credit for the signature goes to me.

Theorymon: Some astute people have noticed that Pikachu seems to be speaking Japanese when referencing certain people or Pokemon. Its possible that Pokemon Language could just be a dialect of the common language (Japanese) spoken in the Pokemon World. That could also explain why certain humans can understand Pokemon either to an extent (Ash) or completely (that one guy from Johto). It could also explain why different species of Pokemon are capable of talking to each other. Then why Pokemon can understand human speech. And so on and so forth.

... other then that ... what GetOutOfTheBox said.

Well, because BLEEP BLOOORGH (ala Gen I) isn't a very appealing sound in an animated series.

I think the alternative, such as the crys used in Stadium I and II, is a good idea, but my theory is the anime producers wanted to avoid "animal like" sounds to differentiate Pokemon from real-world animals.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

I agree that its to remind kids what pokemon it is but also you have to think, what else would they say?

profs name pokemon after the sound they make in the anime only
    so then why are dog not named arf
    Team X:

^Agreed...............
    I don't use "uber" Pokemon (because they're banned), I don't calculate stat values (the simulator does it for me), I don't use cheating devices (because I hardly ever play the actual game), I don't breed my way to perfection (because I use a simulator), and I do care about natures. I battle the most efficient way, so I can use my strategic skills to the fullest. I don't look down on others because of the way they play Pokemon, which non-competitive people seem to actually do more often. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by DittoDude.)

I theorize that it was something just done for the anime to make it better. Otherwise all of them would be making their game noises. So in conclusion, Pokemon say their names because it would be less annoying than squeals.

At least that is what I think.
    3DS Friend Code: 1118-0538-5698
    Twitter/ Tumblr /Secret Base

A better question is why do cows go moo, dogs bark, cat's meow, and fish blurp.

basically Anoobis answered your question
    On Nov 21, 2010, I'm going on vacation. I'm going to a country to visit two friends and a grumpy oldtimer who are awaiting my return.

How is it different in the Japanese Dub, obviously Pikachu says same as English dub wat about the others, maybe that might help answer this question?
        Spoiler:- Other Pokemon For Trade:

Spoiler:- Pokemon Looking For:

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    And I don't want to hear the answer, "So kids can know what species they are".
    You have answered your own question.
    Some days you just can't force a smile. :<

Since barf barf sounds dumb. And it helps rememer the names, like you said yourself.

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by donphant View Post
    How is it different in the Japanese Dub, obviously Pikachu says same as English dub wat about the others, maybe that might help answer this question?
    Pokemon often say their names as well. I can't think of a notable example that has a "name cry" in the anime dub but has a "non name cry" in the Japanese raw.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Well, what else are they gonna say?

You're not gonna make them speak human language (for the most part). And how are you gonna make a sound for normally mute animals like a mouse, such as Pikachu. Not all Pokemon say their names. Off the top of my head, a few examples would be Rhyhorn, Charizard (which is kinda weird, since both Charmander and Charmeleon say their names), Zubat, and Mankey. I think those Pokemon sounds are the best, as they are the most unique and sound suiting to the creature.

The best ones though, in my mind, are the ones that combine the Pokemon's name and how the real-life animal would speak. One great example would be Growlithe (based off a dog, obviously): "Grrrowlllithe!" It sounds perfect!

And yes, I can mimic the voices of all 151 original Pokemon, most of them from 152-251, and some here and there from then on. Sad, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanboy112 View Post
    I agree that its to remind kids what pokemon it is but also you have to think, what else would they say?
    No it isn't. No child is that stupid that they would forget the name so easily.

I am pretty sure Gyarados, Pidgeot, Rhydon, even Charizard have never actually said their names, it's more of a roar then an actual name. How do you explain those Pokemon? (Most Legendaries seem to speak telepathic, although the Johto and Kanto Trio never really said their names)
    Claims Amber Benson and Ali Larter as Bishie.

Credits go to the original creators of Cynthia's and Flannery's artwork.
    United we stand but seperated we fall

And so the fifth generation begins...

Quote Originally Posted by Willow's Tara View Post
    I am pretty sure Gyarados, Pidgeot, Rhydon, even Charizard have never actually said their names, it's more of a roar then an actual name. How do you explain those Pokemon?
    Read my post. ^^^

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Pidgeot says its name.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythicalzoe View Post
    Because Pokemon make perfectly transcribable sounds. i.e "Pika Pi Pi Chu" The pronounciation of the written version directly matched that of the audible version. Animals such as Dogs however do not produce such noises. Dogs do not actually make noises like "Arf Arf Arf" or "Bark" or "Woof". The true noises they make do not actually have tones used in the English language, and hence cannot be exactly represented in written form.

Basically the difference is that Pokemon seem to posses a language, whereas animals produce noises of various intensities to communicate basic desires or feelings. There is no syntax to the language of an animal, whereas the anime seems to imply that Pokemon have an actual language, similar to ours in terms of structure.
    Feel free to PM me if you have tech problems or questions.
    Credit for the signature goes to me.

They don't say their names, but those are the natural sounds that they make.
    Humans simply derived the names for a Pokemon from the sound it makes, with some exception.
    That's my theory.

Distinction from more regular animals, even though some Pokemon do have cries where they don't say their names. Which I like too. I also like how some of the Pokemon in the Japanese version (and some in the dub) say their names in a non... forced way like some of the dub cries (and, well, some of the other Japanese cries).

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    Pokemon often say their names as well. I can't think of a notable example that has a "name cry" in the anime dub but has a "non name cry" in the Japanese raw.
    Unless it's a really obscure name cry in the Japanese version... Magnemite? Which says its name in the dub...
    Reminder from August 09, 2010- Name my future Reshiram "Griffin"...

My Current HeartGold Team:

If you want, look at Yu-Gi-Oh! C,Pokiman, and Naruto C, but they haven't exactly been updated recently...

STILL REJECTING PMs. SORRY. (No offense to anyone.)

The real question is how can Pokemon speak at all, considering that they're basically animals...

I don't know. I don't think it's to teach kids how to say their name -_- I mean you always hear "PIKACHU USE THUNDERBOLT" anyways. In the games, if you listen to their in game cries, it sort of sounds like they are saying their name (Japanese name)

Anyways I think part of it is for Pokemon to have some more creativity, I mean you can only have "roar roar, bark bark" so much it'd get boring. This way it makes Pokemon more individualized and stand out from other shows and stuff and still make the Pokemon rather "animal like".

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

Quote Originally Posted by alishenai View Post
    The real question is how can Pokemon speak at all, considering that they're basically animals...
    Well, humans are animals....

I guess they thought simple squeaking was boring for Pikachu. Plus what other sound could Oddish make? It's a ball with grass for hair.

The larger, more vicious ones roar just to show how nasty they are, or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythicalzoe View Post
    Fun fact: the Mandarin word for cat is Māo (and in Cantonese, Maau). Close enough?

Quote Originally Posted by An00bis View Post
    Theorymon: Some astute people have noticed that Pikachu seems to be speaking Japanese when referencing certain people or Pokemon. Its possible that Pokemon Language could just be a dialect of the common language (Japanese) spoken in the Pokemon World. That could also explain why certain humans can understand Pokemon either to an extent (Ash) or completely (that one guy from Johto). It could also explain why different species of Pokemon are capable of talking to each other. Then why Pokemon can understand human speech. And so on and so forth.

... other then that ... what GetOutOfTheBox said.
    :O

Wow, I hope RosettaStone makes a Pokemon-language learning software. :O

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast