Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Years

Default 2 Years

It's been two years since the American release of HeartGold and SoulSilver. I still remember it like it was yesterday...

Share your memories of the first few days of the games, such as going to buy it, how you felt, etc.

Since I am from Europe, I got the games later. I can´t believe it has been 2 years already! I love HG/SS, in my opinion the best Pokémon games made. It felt so nostalgic, walking on route 29, listening to the remixed music.. And the best thing? No matter how many times I play the games, they keep amazing me... No way the games are 2 years old already...
    I claimed Machoke in the Official Claim a Pokémon thread.
    And I unofficially claim Shizui/Marlon and Brawly.

I remember arriving home and finding the game on my desk when I got home after a school trip to France. XD Haven't slept for almost 24 hours? Who cares, I just got a new pokemon game! It came out the same day I was on the trip so it arrived while I was away; I was hoping it would arrive before so me and my friend could play it on the coach. XD I pre-ordered it like a month before; I was so impatient for it to come out, haha :P

I used to wonder what McDonalds could be - until you shared your ketchup with me
    Big hamburger, tonnes of fries, a beautiful tray, milkshakes with straws, sharing nuggets is an easy feat
    And this ketchup makes it all complete!

I remember when I caught Ho-oh. I had a level 50-something Ampharos left. I used ThunderBolt and he got paralized and in the Red zone. I chucked like 15 Ultraballs at him and finally caught him. I was so lucky. When I caught him, Ampharos only had like 50 hp left.

Wow, 2 years already?! I remember I got HeartGold and my brother got SoulSilver (easy to remember) and we also got our Ho-oh and Lugia figurines, respectively, for pre-ordering the games. I think I also hung out with 1 or 2 of my friends that day, or sometime around then. Good times.
    Xbox Gamertag: iDeadlyPanda|3DS FC: 0602-6674-5548 |NNID: ThePandaMan |Twitter

Claimed: Chrom from the Fire Emblem Series and Pokémon X
    Claimed Pokémon:
    Anime List

I remember the first few days I got Soul Silver, I instantly just went to train my Totildile and catching a few good Pokemon for the starters of course. My finest and proud memory was me on my 2nd day defeated Whitney and her devil Milktank. Great times, great times.

All credits for BT's Army Against Arrogance Banner goes to Brutaka.
    All Credits to Black Terminator's Region Express banner goes to Sworn Metalhead

I was on a school trip to Spain when HGSS was released in North America, so my dad had to go buy HeartGold for me. I remember spending the rest of my trip feeling really excited about being able to play the game in English when I got home (I already had Japanese SoulSilver).

Can't believe two years have passed since then. It's also weird to think that HGSS was announced nearly three years ago - they still feel new.

I had lost some interest in the games, so I barely played Diamond at all. As a result, I didn't buy SoulSilver straightaway like I did for Diamond, so I got it months after the release instead. Starting on the day I received it in the mail, I played it everyday for at least a hour (that's a lot when you consider how busy I am) as I couldn't put it down. I also really liked how they added Cameron the cameraman in the game, as I liked to take photos throughtout my journey. It helps to see the team members I've had with me at different points of the game - a nice little addition, I think.

The thing I am most grateful for is how SS re-ignited my love for Pokemon again and it was one of the main reasons I joined SPPf. As of now, I am still playing Diamond/SS/Black quite regularly. So, I have some really good memories of this game and that's why it's my favourite PKMN game to date.

Look at that face, you look like my next mistake

I remember getting it, and beating it the next day.... Just Kidding, but i did beat it a week later.
    Signiture Underconstruction

Got it on launch.Does not feel like 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by maz2468 View Post
    I remember getting it, and beating it the next day.... Just Kidding, but i did beat it a week later.
    Lol, I beat it around noon of Day 2.

I still remember when I was about to get SoulSilver. I had been out of interest in Pokemon for a while, but was very exited for this as I was into the illusion that the original Johto games were the best games ever and the remakes would be true masterpieces. Looking back at it now, I seriously cannot believe I was thinking so stupidly back then.
    Got it on the release date (I live in Europe, which makes it the 26th). I started playing, and felt a big burst of nostalgia during the first part of the game. I thought I was going to love it. And I did love it in the beginning, but after a short while, I realized that it wasn't what I had been expecting at all. It made me sad to see that they hadn't fixed all the problems that the original games suffered from, something I never thought about when playing through the originals as I didn't have anything to compare them to back then. I managed to play through both Kanto and Johto in SS, but lost most of my interest afterwards. I tried to complete the Pokedex, but couldn't force myself into doing it. Picked up Platinum instead and started playing it instead as I enjoyed it more.
    I guess the most important thing I learned from these games is that nostalgia isn't always a positive thing, especially not when it comes to Pokemon. HG/SS are definitely my least favorite games from the latest three generations.
    Δ

Forget about the words I said
    They were just the voices in my head
    I don't have to listen to them anymore

When I first heard the opening of the game, it gave me chills. When I got my Starter back, because Johto was were i considered to be the gen i actually started to like pokemon. When my Starter followed me, just everything about it brought back so much nostalgia!. I still replay it to this day, better then 5gen, it was so much better then 5th gen...

Recall the Heart Gold and Soul Silver stand at Wal-mart, thinking about getting back into pokemon. Damn good decision getting back into these games! Playing it as i type and it's so fun.
    "Inherited Will, the Destiny of the Age, and the Dreams of its People. These are things that will not be stopped. As long as people continue to pursue the meaning of freedom, these things will never cease to be!"

Waiting by the front door like a puppy for the delivery guy. I missed a day of Uni.... okay, a week, to play it.

Name: Pinky
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

19/08/2012 - First time I've completed the Dex since 1999.

I don't use uber Pokemon , I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar)

Quote Originally Posted by Winter02 View Post
    I still remember when I was about to get SoulSilver. I had been out of interest in Pokemon for a while, but was very exited for this as I was into the illusion that the original Johto games were the best games ever and the remakes would be true masterpieces. Looking back at it now, I seriously cannot believe I was thinking so stupidly back then.
    Got it on the release date (I live in Europe, which makes it the 26th). I started playing, and felt a big burst of nostalgia during the first part of the game. I thought I was going to love it. And I did love it in the beginning, but after a short while, I realized that it wasn't what I had been expecting at all. It made me sad to see that they hadn't fixed all the problems that the original games suffered from, something I never thought about when playing through the originals as I didn't have anything to compare them to back then. I managed to play through both Kanto and Johto in SS, but lost most of my interest afterwards. I tried to complete the Pokedex, but couldn't force myself into doing it. Picked up Platinum instead and started playing it instead as I enjoyed it more.
    I guess the most important thing I learned from these games is that nostalgia isn't always a positive thing, especially not when it comes to Pokemon. HG/SS are definitely my least favorite games from the latest three generations.
    What exactly were these "problems"? In comparison to the originals, I see nothing but improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by SGG View Post
    What exactly were these "problems"? In comparison to the originals, I see nothing but improvement.
    While I agree that the remakes improved a lot on the originals, they did not fix every problem.
    The main problem for me is that the training possibilities are very limited in HG/SS compared to the other games from 3rd, 4th and 5th gen. While it is possible to register a lot of trainers in the Pokegear (unlike the originals where the maximum amount was ten) and then call them in order to get a rematch, I felt it was extremely underwhelming compared to using the VS. Seeker or Pokenav. The fact that you could only call 1-3 trainers depending on the time wasn't very useful for me. I know that there are the E4 and the ability to rebattle Gym Leaders as well, but I still feel that it was very underwhelming as you could train much easier with other methods in in the other games without resorting to these. There is also the Rival, but he can only be battled twice a week, just like in D/P/P.
    Although there are two things that the originals were better at than the remakes when it comes to places to train. In the originals, it was possible to battle a trainer every day in the Trainer House to get some experience. While it is still possible to battle him in the remakes, he does no longer give out any experience as the battle is made to be similar to those in the Battle Frontier. A similar situation goes for the S.S. Aqua. In the originals, it was possible to battle the trainers on the boat an infinite number of times, but in the remakes, it is only possible to battle them twice (once when going from Johto to Kanto and then one more time when going from Kanto to Johto).
    As for other things in the games, I wouldn't exactly call them "problems", they are more like things I just didn't like. I know most people loved the Pokemon following you, but I didn't. And since it couldn't be turned off, it did to a lesser extent ruin the games for me. I also thought that the touch screen features could have been implemented much better and things like the Pokewalker and Safari Zone were never more than a joke to me.
    Δ

Save.
    Totodile GET!
    Wrong nature.
    Reset.

Rinse, repeat. After two hours, give or take, I finally managed to get a Jolly Totodile. Since my friend was going to lend me his own DS later, I made it a point for the Pokemon that I wanted to keep not to participate in battles that would give them wrong EVs. A day later, after my Totodile turned into a Feraligatr and was racking levels to kick the Elite Four's sorry butts. Something inclined me to calculate the IVs. 2 in attack. It wasn't pretty, especially considering that I had spent the past 12+ hours immersed in the game. Oh well. The Feraligatr in question eventually hit 100 and retired, leaving a spot for the red Gyarados. And everyone lived happily ever after, until Gyara learned Dragon Dance. Then they weren't so alive anymore.

"Place the pistol down, now give the gun a spin, soon as the spinning stops, oh no the game starts in"

The main problem for me is that the training possibilities are very limited in HG/SS compared to the other games from 3rd, 4th and 5th gen. While it is possible to register a lot of trainers in the Pokegear (unlike the originals where the maximum amount was ten) and then call them in order to get a rematch, I felt it was extremely underwhelming compared to using the VS. Seeker or Pokenav. The fact that you could only call 1-3 trainers depending on the time wasn't very useful for me. I know that there are the E4 and the ability to rebattle Gym Leaders as well, but I still feel that it was very underwhelming as you could train much easier with other methods in in the other games without resorting to these. There is also the Rival, but he can only be battled twice a week, just like in D/P/P.
    Although there are two things that the originals were better at than the remakes when it comes to places to train. In the originals, it was possible to battle a trainer every day in the Trainer House to get some experience. While it is still possible to battle him in the remakes, he does no longer give out any experience as the battle is made to be similar to those in the Battle Frontier. A similar situation goes for the S.S. Aqua. In the originals, it was possible to battle the trainers on the boat an infinite number of times, but in the remakes, it is only possible to battle them twice (once when going from Johto to Kanto and then one more time when going from Kanto to Johto).
    Well, yeah. Training is pretty hard in these games, I guess.

But how can you not like the PokeWalker or Safari Zone? They made previously unobtainable Pokemon obtainable, and many Pokemon available WAY earlier than previously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klozo View Post
    Save.
    Totodile GET!
    Wrong nature.
    Reset.

Rinse, repeat. After two hours, give or take, I finally managed to get a Jolly Totodile. Since my friend was going to lend me his own DS later, I made it a point for the Pokemon that I wanted to keep not to participate in battles that would give them wrong EVs. A day later, after my Totodile turned into a Feraligatr and was racking levels to kick the Elite Four's sorry butts. Something inclined me to calculate the IVs. 2 in attack. It wasn't pretty, especially considering that I had spent the past 12+ hours immersed in the game. Oh well. The Feraligatr in question eventually hit 100 and retired, leaving a spot for the red Gyarados. And everyone lived happily ever after, until Gyara learned Dragon Dance. Then they weren't so alive anymore.
    This isn't the Recent Happenings thread.

I had a hockey game the day of release, about 1 hour away. I played the whole way there, and back. Got Soul Silver, and used Totodile the first run.

Quote Originally Posted by SGG View Post
    But how can you not like the PokeWalker or Safari Zone? They made previously unobtainable Pokemon obtainable, and many Pokemon available WAY earlier than previously.
    I agree that the Safari Zone made it easier to get some Pokemon earlier in the game, which of course is good. But as for the post-game, having to wait 50-100 days just for a certain Pokemon to appear wasn't a good idea in my opinion. And the same goes for the types of Pokemon they decided to throw in there. Catching Beldum and Metang in the Safari Zone? No thanks.
    As for the Pokewalker, I felt the same about it. It was just so unnecessary to walk forever just to unlock some area which had six new Pokemon. I think the Swarms and Hoenn/Sinnoh sounds were much better solutions for adding Pokemon from the other regions to the games.
    Δ

There is also the Rival, but he can only be battled twice a week, just like in D/P/Pt.
    You can battle your rival every time you beat Red so it's not twice a week...
    yay hatched my shiny bagon took 191 eggs but worth it jolly natured too

now have my entire shiny squad hatched on my diamond just waiting for someone i know to let me borrow thier ds -.-

Quote Originally Posted by squeezcheese View Post
    I really wish you could drive a car in this game because I would just turn all the bidoofs into roadkill. And play Grand Theft Auto: Sinnoh Edition!
    LOL

HG FC
    OT: Gordon
    FC: 0990 9499 5913

But really it's been 2 years, damn. I can still remember buying it on uk release date and playing it all day.
    yay hatched my shiny bagon took 191 eggs but worth it jolly natured too

now have my entire shiny squad hatched on my diamond just waiting for someone i know to let me borrow thier ds -.-

Quote Originally Posted by squeezcheese View Post
    I really wish you could drive a car in this game because I would just turn all the bidoofs into roadkill. And play Grand Theft Auto: Sinnoh Edition!
    LOL

HG FC
    OT: Gordon
    FC: 0990 9499 5913

Wait, it's been two years already 0_0? I thought it came out in September 2010.

I've only had my copy for almost a year, now, but I remember the excitement of the news when it was revealed. I remember being really, really happy when I heard it, I think I squee'd out-loud at home (my parents weren't home, it was just me and my brothers). I don't really care much for the DS, though it's a nifty little device, but that was really the only reason why I wanted to get a DS was just to get SoulSilver. So I bought the two with my own money (almost two hundred dollars), and I had to keep myself from opening it up and playing in the store since I was grocery shopping with my grandparents at the moment, but of course, you have to charge up the DS when you first get it. So naturally, when I got home, I plugged it in, waited a couple of hours, and got right on it.

Best week of May I've ever had. My brother had gotten HeartGold previously, I believe for Christmas or his birthday, can't remember, so I wanted to make sure to watch him play it. He didn't have a lot of trouble like I hoped. His twin, though, when he got himself SoulSilver, kept asking me questions and I kept saying, "Nope, figure it out yourself >8D." He got mad when he reached the Elite Four, lol.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Kutie Pie, that was when Japan got BW lol.

Still, I got it and felt nostalgic, despite the fact that I had never played the original games. Regardless, it was fun. I still love playing it now, because it has that nice "feel" to it, in the sense that I like the majority of the music.
    Last edited by AquaRegisteel; 24th March 2012 at 1:57 PM.
    Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon: "When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more."

Spoiler:- Current Hunts:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast