Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Community POTW #28

Victini is UU because its weaknesses are appaling, like the entire metagame will have a water, rock, ground, dark or ghost move. furthermore these weaknesses prevent it from using its ok defences. its attacking stats are nothing special, and V-create is all that makes it Better than other pokemon of its description. victini also packs a stealth rock weakness. it's niche does not even allow it to work in OU, as IMO choice scarf heatran will work better than scarf tini, due to it actualy resiting things, and CB darmatian packs all the power victini has under the sun without the extra weaknesses and with a better ability. finaly in OU victini has a OK base speed, but this metagame has sped up since 4th gen and victini is now outpaced by so many threats when unboosted, and weather teams speed boosts will make the scarf redundant.

thats a pretty comprahenssive list of why victini is UU, though it is suspect, due to its huge power V-Create. even if it is voted out of UU it seems unlikely it will be used in OU, except for the odd nutter who likes the design

Could Victini function as a revenge killer?

Victini @Choice Scarf
    Jolly
    Victory Star
    4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
    V-Create
    Focus Blast
    U-Turn
    Final Gambit

Obviously, only use with a spinner, notably Forretress, who resists all of Victini's weaknesses except Water and Ground and Rock, but Forretress can take random EQs all day long.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Jolly and focus blast? Seriously!?

Seriously, did Gamefreak actually give Victini the Psychic type? Psychic only adds to its myriad weaknesses. (...Or does it? Might actually allow it to tank Fighting hits more, but that's just about it. And also giving STAB to Zen Headbutt on the all-out physical attackers like the Choice Band set.) Its only niche happens to be V-create. At least the Victory Star Ability does boost its teammates' accuracy in a multiples. Plus, it's cute as a Pikachu.
    YouTube Pika250, Twitter Pika250
    BMGf no. 8125 (Pika25), Smogon no. 8077 (Pika25)
    Find me at those Forums too!

My Pokemon Online Dream Team, I am "Scotty" on PO

I see nothing wrong with Jolly and Focus Blast. I see everything wrong with using Focus Blast, though. Brick Break murders Tyranitar more...

Psychic is kinda helpful, since Fighting is like the most common attacking type ever. Too bad it adds that Pursuit weakness.
    Ignore, thanks.

I think all event legendaries with good moveset options should at least be OU. In Smogon's current (broken) reasoning, Arceus should be OU.
    Anyway, I don't think anyone's thought of this, but a (maybe suckish) Victory Stall set?
    Name: Victory Stall
    Ability: Victory Star
    Item: Chesto Berry
    Nature: Impish/Bold/Calm/Careful/Jolly/Timid, depending whether you want bulk or speed and which side you want to contribute to stop Victini being Taunt bait.
    EV's:252 HP/252 Spd/4 Defence you boosted for absolute speedy Victini or
    252 HP/128 Def/128 SpD
    Move 1: Substitute/Rest/Toxic/Light Screen/Safeguard/Will-O-Wisp
    Move 2: Substitute/Rest/Toxic/Light Screen/Safeguard/Will-O-Wisp
    Move 3: Final Gambit/Flare Blitz/Inferno
    Move 4: Taunt

To start off, Victini's got a niche over most stallers because of its ability, which means attacks are 10% more accurate, meaning it's got more stalling turns than most stallers as it's less likely to miss. Stats say if you run the speedy options under Tailwind, you'll have a speed of 656, which outspeeds a +2 Jolly Excadrill and most Taunt users (except Pranksters) and is only 6 points away from outspeeding a +2 Naive Landorus, which is... well pretty fast. Subs make a bit of stalling for Victini, and he can do lots with it. Rest helps you rest, especially with Chesto. Toxic is always a good idea (unless there's a Poison Heal poke that you're poisoning). Light Screen helps your SpD a lot and it helps the team's as well, Safeguard is... good if you're crippled by Will-O-Wisp and Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers (when will there be a status that cripples special ones?). For the third move it's either Flare Blitz, which is good coming off a 236 Atk stat, same with Inferno, which is also nice coming off a 236 SpA stat, and its bad accuracy can be (a bit) solved by Victory Star, or Final Gambit (not the best idea) and these are maily to stop Victini being Taunt bait. Taunt is a no-brainer.

Also, maybe an endure-reversal set?

Name: Victorious EndureVersal
    Ability: Victory Star
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EV's: 255 Spd/255 Atk
    Item: Focus Sash
    Move 1: Reversal
    Move 2: Zen Headbutt
    Move 3: Flame Charge
    Move 4: Fusion Bolt

Main points here: Reversal is (after the 1st turn) 200 BP coming off a 328 Atk stat, which is very good. Zen Headbutt is good STAB, Flame Charge builds up speed, and why not Fusion Bolt?
    Claims: Mario, The Big Bang Theory, Victini

Quote Originally Posted by SomeoneIGuess View Post
    I see nothing wrong with Jolly and Focus Blast. I see everything wrong with using Focus Blast, though. Brick Break murders Tyranitar more...

Psychic is kinda helpful, since Fighting is like the most common attacking type ever. Too bad it adds that Pursuit weakness.
    First off, I'm going to Sig the first sentence. Next off, the problem with Jolly and Focus Blast is that Jolly lowers Sp. Atk and Focus Blast uses Sp. Atk.

I'm surprised that I didn't think of it sooner, but... Flash Fire Houndoom for the win! Makes for perfect Victini counter in my eyes...... Well, except for focus blast anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Espeon? You do realize Fire Types like Victini are NOT affected by Burns, even from Will-o-Wisp hitting a Synchronize or Magic Bounce Pokemon, right?
    It's still a waste of a turn, and in the long run, that could mean the game.
    You have been blessed with the gratitude of reading the Other Gyarados's post. May you have luck in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Regiultima View Post
    First off, I'm going to Sig the first sentence. Next off, the problem with Jolly and Focus Blast is that Jolly lowers Sp. Atk and Focus Blast uses Sp. Atk.
    I know that. It's not like the difference is going to be very noticable, actually. There are 0 Pokemon that you would want to hit with Focus Blast and not with Brick Break, since Fire deals with Scizor, Ferrothorn, blah and sends them to hell. The point is, Victini spams V-Create and only cares about killing Politoed, Tyranitar, and Flash Fire Pokemon.
    Ignore, thanks.

Victini without V-create (what is this guy smoking?)
    -charge beam
    -searing shot
    -stored power/psychic/psyshock
    -flame charge
    Modest nature,252 spark, 252 HP 4 defense
    A mor elong lasting pokemon. Charge beam and flame charge beam up you r special attack and speed. If yu manage stored power will be awesome. Other wise run a standard psychic attack. Then searing **** everything and charge beam waters or psychic attack them. If blissey and friends try to ruin your day flame charge unless you Carry psyshock

I'm wondering if the Jolly + F-Blast argument is over my set..

Then BB over Focus Blast?

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

On my set, replace searing shot with fire nlast

Quote Originally Posted by arceusvictini View Post
    I think all event legendaries with good moveset options should at least be OU. In Smogon's current (broken) reasoning, Arceus should be OU.
    Right, to start of this is just smogon hate, and means little, most people have made valid arguements for victini being in OU. so because a pokemon with loads of weaknesses, entery hazard weaknesses, purisuit weakness and average speed in a fast metagame is UU, we should bring the top Uber pokemon down to OU? Because that makes a lot of sence.
    a good moveset and being a legendary doesnt mean a thing when every pokemon can hit victini for some for of supereffective damage. vicitini can only switch in with good prediction, and if your opponent predicts the switch, its probable you will lose victini. this leaves you with having to put victini in to revenge, and this is difficult to, as any pokemon with +1 and above base 100 speed (there are quite a few in OU) will murder you revenge killer. im not a fan of smogon either but they do know their pokemon.

Victini is not even OU,it's UU,smogon's reason is absolutely correct..I don't see what's so wrong in it.It doesn't matter if a Pokemon is a event legendary or it has wide pool,it's usage in metagame and how good it is is what matters.Victini is not that good at all...even in UU it's walled by stuff like Slowbro and Milotic which are not 2hkoed even by Sun boosted V-create.

252 Atk Choice Band Victini Fusion Bolt vs 252 HP/252 Def Slowbro: 46.7% - 55.33%
    2-3 hits to KO (with Leftovers)

Fusion bolt will make Vicutini a bit dangerous,but then again those are calcs of a banded vicutini which means you can easily switch into a ground type,while slowbro heals off with regenerator.UU is infested with bulky waters,so you won't be having much problem handling Also bulky intimidate Arcanine also checks it well.

As for the sets,I liked the 2nd post,it covers most of the vicutini's movesets.While Vicutini's stats tempts you to use a defensive set,note that fire is a good offensive type and not defensive,so you are better off with offensive vicu,defensive set isn't worth it...it's movepool just supports this fact

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoflare View Post
    Victini is not even OU,it's UU,smogon's reason is absolutely correct..I don't see what's so wrong in it.It doesn't matter if a Pokemon is a event legendary or it has wide pool,it's usage in metagame and how good it is is what matters.Victini is not that good at all...even in UU it's walled by stuff like Slowbro and Milotic which are not 2hkoed even by Sun boosted V-create.

252 Atk Choice Band Victini Fusion Bolt vs 252 HP/252 Def Slowbro: 46.7% - 55.33%
    2-3 hits to KO (with Leftovers)

Fusion bolt will make Vicutini a bit dangerous,but then again those are calcs of a banded vicutini which means you can easily switch into a ground type,while slowbro heals off with regenerator.UU is infested with bulky waters,so you won't be having much problem handling Also bulky intimidate Arcanine also checks it well.

As for the sets,I liked the 2nd post,it covers most of the vicutini's movesets.While Vicutini's stats tempts you to use a defensive set,note that fire is a good offensive type and not defensive,so you are better off with offensive vicu,defensive set isn't worth it...it's movepool just supports this fact
    Well, V-Create 2HKOs Milotic.
    Adamant 252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs Bold 252 HP/ 252 Def Milotic: 63.96% - 75.38%
    That's a 2HKO even with Leftovers. And an OHKO with 3 Layers of Spikes + Stealth Rock.

Slowbro, on the other hand, is 2-3HKOed because of Leftovers.
    Adamant 252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs 252 HP/252 Def Slowbro: 51.78% - 60.91%
    Throw in Stealth Rock and Slowbro goes down.

Finally, Adamant 252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create (-1 Attack) vs Impish 252 HP / 252 Def Arcanine: 43.49% - 51.3%
    Stealth Rock go boom!
    Also, by having that EV spread, Arcanine's offensive capabilities are zilch. I know that you're not suggesting Impish 252 HP / 252 Def, but any less and Arcanine's going to be 2HKOed before it does anything.

Fusion Bolt: 100 Base Power x Super Effective = 200 Base Power
    V-Create: 180 Base Power x STAB x Sun Boost x Not Very Effective = 202 Base Power (Rounded Down)
    Last edited by SomeoneIGuess; 17th July 2011 at 7:46 AM.
    Ignore, thanks.

So basically sun boosted V-create has the same power as fusionbolt+it doesn't need weather support.Vicutini may actually be moved to BL once fusionbolt is released,sun is banned in UU making me ignore the fact that anything is 2hkoed bar slowbro.I am sorry but yeah Fusion bolt Vicutini is a bit broken for UU,as it doesn't have any proper checks.If that's true smogon will ban it:P.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoflare View Post
    So basically sun boosted V-create has the same power as fusionbolt+it doesn't need weather support.Vicutini may actually be moved to BL once fusionbolt is released,sun is banned in UU making me ignore the fact that anything is 2hkoed bar slowbro.I am sorry but yeah Fusion bolt Vicutini is a bit broken for UU,as it doesn't have any proper checks.If that's true smogon will ban it:P.
    From what I remember, Fusion Bolt IS released. I doubt it's Broken though, since there's always Flash Fire.
    Ignore, thanks.

I said it's a bit too much for UU,..it's clearly not broken in OU..there aren't any good flash fire users in uu.Although pursuit Houndoom can come in on a choiced Fire move an pursuit the hell out of it.It's a shaky check considering how frail it is.Arcanine can have flashfire but Intimidate is preferred .

There's always prediction though, Victini will generaly use Fusion bolt or V-create when you switch, flash fire houndoom Beats it when it v-creates, and flygon can switch in on a fusion bolt. while they may be shacky, with some good prediction you can play around it.
    Fusion bolt is released in japan i think
    By the way i meant uu in the above post i just mistyped
    Last edited by EvanSeven; 17th July 2011 at 11:31 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123