Thread: Venamoth Batton Pass

Default Venamoth Batton Pass

This is the second competitive team that I have built. I revolves around Venamoth using baton pass to give quiver dance boosts to a team mate best suited to the current situation. Hopefully the team can do well without a potential boost. I don't think they are that dependent on it, just better off if they get one.

Venamoth

Nature: Timid Ability:Shield Dust
    @ Focus Sash EVs: 252 Sp Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Bug Buzz Baton Pass
    Quiver Dance Sleep Powder

My lead pokemon. I attempt to put a pokemon to sleep. If faster and fail, I try again if I know they don't have a priority attack. I switch out if I'm slower and fail or if there is a big threat to my team that I can try to put to sleep instead. I run shield dust in case an attack activates my sash only to burn me or something.

Nidoking

Nature: Modest Ability: Sheer Force
    @ Life Orb EVs: 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    Earth Power Thunder Bolt
    Ice Beam Flamethrower

A good pokemon to take advantage of quiver dace boosts. Provides good coverage with bolt-beam and all its moves take advantage of sheer force. I could go with fire blast instead of flamethrower, but I don't like the accuracy. Life orb with sheer force lets it hit hard even without a boost from Venamoth. I can also use Nidoking to remove toxic spikes if it is too dangerous to send in Venamoth. I've already had one sweep with him and one rage-quit after KOing two of my opponent's pokemon.

Serperior

Nature: Adamant Ability: Overgrow
    @ Leftovers EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    Leaf Blade Coil
    Glare Dragon Tail

Somewhat of a support team-mate. Since it is physical it can only take advantage of two out of three quiver dance boosts if it gets them. Leaf Blade is for STAB, Glare to paralyze even ground types, Coil to boost leaf Blade's power and Glare's accuracy. Can get really defensive with Quiver Dance and Coil boosts. Dragon Tail is to attempt hazing and remove stuff that wall Serperior when they switch in. I'm unsure about the EV spread though.

Lucario

Nature: Naughty Ability: Inner Focus
    @ Life Orb EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    Close Combat Extreme Speed
    Stone Edge Shadow Ball

Another physical attacker, though it does have one special attack to take advantage of a potential Quiver Dance boost. Pretty straight forward, Close Combat for STAB, Extreme speed for priority, stone edge for fliers. Shadow ball is for psychics or ghosts who might switch into close combats or extreme speeds.

Omastar

Nature: Modest Ability: Swift Swim
    @ Leftovers EVs: 156 HP, 252 Sp Atk, 100 Spd
    Surf Ice Beam
    Rain Dance Stealth Rock

I am very unsure about this one. Can be somewhat defensive like Serperior if it gets Quiver Dance boosts. I have used this team on PO, but don't run Hidden Power because I want to make this team on for Wi-Fi and don't want to rely on something that will likely not be an option. Rain Dance is to double speed and power up surf. It can also possibly disrupt some weather teams I come across. I'm not sure if I need stealth rock there and am also unsure what to replace it with. Should I use Shell Smash?

Hydreigion

Nature: Naive Ability: Levitate
    @ Life Orb EVs: 100 Atk, 156 Sp Atk, 252 Spd
    Dark Pulse Dragon Pulse
    Earth Quake Flamethrower

One more good pokemon that can take advantage of a potential Quiver Dance boost. I run Earthquake on this because I felt like I needed another physical attack somewhere. I don't use Draco Meteor because I felt it would be a waste of a potential boost because of the Sp Atk drop. Has decent coverage which could dent my opponent if I pass boosts to it. I've seen some people switch Blissy in on this thing expecting a pure special set, only to take an earthquake.

So thats it. I've had some battles and so far I think that some water types give me trouble since my only electric attack user is a ground type and most water types carry ice type attacks for grass types. I am open to having some pokemon replaced if there are others that might fit this team better, but I will be reluctant to use legendarys.

on omastar i would replace stealth rock with ancient power, otherwise it looks like a really solid team, although i prefer dark pulse to shadow ball on Lucario but thats just a personal preferiance. I dont see a spot to add in a electric type move or even an electric type unless you want to replace omastar with one maby a Lantern? if so i would go with this move set:

Charge Beam, Ice Beam, Surf, Signal Beam (for dark types).

i will leave the eves,nature,hold item,and ability choices up to you.
    i hope this helps.
    Strive for an epic battle for all to see!
    Twilightphoenix XD

alot of things wrong with this team, too tired to edit right now, will help you in the morning
    Black Version 2 FC: 4943 5487 2983

Aw crap, hope its not too bad. Its probably mostly Omastar and Hydreigion and the others' natures huh?

I think that team is good, but i still think there could be room for improvement.
    Signiture Underconstruction

Lucario@lifeorb
    inner focus
    Jolly Nature
    252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
    -Crunch
    -Close Combat
    -Extreme Speed
    -Swords Dance

Crunch gives you the same coverage as shadow ball and it's physical.

Omastar@White Herb
    Shell Armor/Swift Swim
    Timid
    252 SPA/252 Speed/4Hp
    -Shell Smash
    -Surf/Hydro Pump
    -Ice beam
    -Hidden Power grass
    Omastar is pretty frail so adding bulk wont help you. This is the best set for him

HYdreigon @ Choice Scarf
    Levitate
    Modest
    252 SPA/252 Speed/4 HP
    -Draco Meteor
    -Dark Pulse
    -Surf
    -Flamethrower

This is the best set. Revenge Killer. Mixed Hydreigon sucks so All Special works better for him.

Serperior sucks badddd man. The only reason to use him is for screens. Drop Serpeior for this.

Sceptile@Grass Gem
    UNBURDEN ability
    Adamant
    252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
    -Leaf Blade
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide
    -Swords Dance

Use Swords Dance to boost your attack. Then use Leaf Blade on something weak. After Sceptile uses leaf blade with grass gem, his speed goes to numerous high levels because of unburden.

For the Omistar suggestion, surf would work better then Hydro pump because of the accuracy.
    Signiture Underconstruction

But if you still want to use Serperior, a screen set is best for him.

Serperior@ Light Clay
    Timid
    252 HP/252 Speed/4 Special Attack
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Giga Drain
    -Taunt/Glare
    Last edited by Swagga09; 4th November 2011 at 8:37 PM.

I'm not going to use unburden Sceptile because I don't think I will be able to get a decent one. Maybe for PO though.

On Hydreigon I'm not gonna use Draco Meteor cause of the Sp Atk drop, but I might just be wrong about this.

I guess I'll try Shell Smash Omastar but with focus sash since you said it was frail and with ancient power instead of HP for Wi-Fi.

I forgot about Crunch for Lucario.

Quote Originally Posted by Acio29619 View Post
    I'm not going to use unburden Sceptile because I don't think I will be able to get a decent one. Maybe for PO though.

On Hydreigon I'm not gonna use Draco Meteor cause of the Sp Atk drop, but I might just be wrong about this.

I guess I'll try Shell Smash Omastar but with focus sash since you said it was frail and with ancient power instead of HP for Wi-Fi.

I forgot about Crunch for Lucario.
    Hydreigon would be a revenge killer, his role is to hit hard and switch out anyway. But if you really don't want the stat drop you could use dragon pulse, but remember that you would miss out on alot of kills that you would have got with draco meteor.

If you dont want to use sceptile than just use the serperior set I recommended.

Oops, didn't notice it was scarffed. Guess I'll try Draco Meteor then. I'll try some battles with these suggestions and see how it goes. Thanks to those who helped so far.

Edit: Is there anything else that could be improved? No possible replacement pokemon or advice?
    Last edited by Myrrh; 5th November 2011 at 8:24 PM.