Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vgc team

Default Vgc team

Well Guys, this team took me to a top 8 finish at Atlanta and a top 16 finish at Indy in the 2011 VGC, so with all pokes being out, i decided to keep my old team, just revise it a little bit
        Spoiler:- Team Buliding Process:

Musharna (M) @ Mental Herb
    Trait: Telepathy
    EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Trick Room
    - Helping Hand
    - Protect
    - Psychic

This is my custom set, it's a 2-3HKO w/ Volcarona Bug Buzz and Life Orb, 2-3HKO w/ Chandelure Scarfed, 2-3KO on Hydregion Crunch/Dark Pulse and Life Orb. Well, you get where thats going. Trick Room is Standard(Its a Trick Room Team) Helping Hand is for boosting my allies moves. Psychic is for STAB so if the oppo is close to dying, i can finish it off.

Scizor (M) @ Occa Berry
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 SDef
    Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
    - Bullet Punch
    - Bug Bite
    - Night Slash/Brick Break
    - Protect

Scizor is really powerful, as anyone who plays OU will tell you. Bullet Punch is great for killing t-tar/ obamasnow/ ice types, and since its priority, useful in and out of TR. Bug Bite is Boosted by the ability, killing cress and other bulky psychics, like reunclus.

Granbull (M) @ Sitrus Berry
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    - Return
    - Crunch
    - Rock Slide
    - Protect

Intimidate is crucial thanks to more physical pokes being used now, and granbull is great for my team. Rock slide is for dual hits, return is STAB, crunch for cress and CO. I may use hitmontop, but so far granbull is working

Scrafty (M) @ Chople Berry
    Trait: Shed Skin
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    - Crunch
    - Drain Punch
    - Fake Out
    - Protect

This could be Conkeldurr come VGC time. Crunch is for Bulky Psychics, Drain Punch is for Dark Types and Terrkion. Fake Out can help out when i send it out, Flinching my opponent and giving me time to set up TR if needed.

Eelektross (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - Thuderbolt/Discharge
    - Flamethrower
    - Grass Knot
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

I tried Electric Gem and Life Orb, but This Set can devastate teams. Thunderbolt is STAB and w/ specs, deals HEAVY damage if not resistant. Flamethrower is for Grass Types, Grass Knot for Grounds, and Hidden Power Ice for Dragons. Great Coverage all in all for this set.

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Effect Spore
    EVs: 144 HP / 132 Def / 52 SAtk / 180 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Spore
    - Giga Drain
    - Rage Powder
    - Protect

Standard Ammonguss for VGC. Spore and Rage Powder are standard, as he allows me to disrupt my opponent team and Giga Drain is to get HP back and to deal damage when needed.
    Last edited by TrollFreak; 28th September 2011 at 7:27 PM.

I chase the dream, not the competition.

SHouldnt you have more than 1 TR set up? Plus id go with HP fighting, it works a little better, protect wastes a turn of TR

3DS FC: 3067 - 5438 - 9132

What exactly are the limitations for VGC? I have some suggestions, but I want to know if they're doable. Your team is entirely 5th Gen pokemon. Is any other Gen allowed?
    If you're creative, don't copy and paste this into your signature (Started by 3.14kachu).

Quote Originally Posted by 3.14kachu View Post
    What exactly are the limitations for VGC? I have some suggestions, but I want to know if they're doable. Your team is entirely 5th Gen pokemon. Is any other Gen allowed?
    no. i wish it was tho

its also doubles as well, make sure if you rate you know that

Yeah, maybe chandelure should have Trick Room instead of energy ball or protect, because when the first TR is over, your team will always attack last

@ pory, yeah i was thinking that too, but protect helps me scout out what moves my oppo has, or keep musharna around for one more turn if needed to say, set up another TR

@farfan no, energy ball coverys jellicent and terrakion really well, and protect is for when i set up a TR, its safe from harm until its set up. i was thinking whimsicott w/ this set > ammonguss

whim@leftys
    prankster
    252 HP/252 Sp.Def/4 Def
    Calm

Trick Room
    Helping Hand
    Taunt
    Encore

it has prankster, so all moves are priority, so i dont need speed evs and TR dosent affect it

Looks Interesting

hmm, interesting. since it is doubles, beware of widegaurd with your electross using discharge. t-bolt is safer, but i like its moveset as is. it seems you have SAZA/JELLY covered as well, a cleric might be helpful, but not needed. pretty good over all, secondary TR setter is nice if musharna goes down early...
    Last edited by AJ; 11th July 2011 at 2:54 AM.

@aj yeah, but a choice specs discharge hits all pokes HARD(unless its resisted) and w/ helping hand, OVERKILL

You have a very well thought out team here. I could see this working very well. Very good job. I can only suggest a few small things from the experience I have with testing TR in VGC '11.

Firstly, as already suggested, I would strongly encourage you to at least test TR on Chandelure. It's especially necessary to be able to set up your team with more than one mon this year because of team preview. You might see something and just go "Oh god, I can't lead with musharna!!" Having options is very valuable this season. Way moreso than in the past. Had this been '09, or '10 I'd say one solid TR lead would be enough because the matches are generally fast. But there's a high chance you're gonna have to switch things up at some point.

Secondly, if you haven't tried it yet, I would suggest testing Overheat on Chandelure inplace of flamethrower. Obviously, the accuracy is lower, which is a risk you have to decide on, but in my thorough testing of TR for this season I came across soooooooooooooooooooooooooo maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany OccaShrooms and OccaCotts all with HP, and some with 252+SDef. Flamethrower cannot 1HKO them. Overheat has a chance. It's really your decision because the accuracy is just flat out a deal breaker for some players, but i would suggest at least trying it because Occamons have been fairly popular in my experience so far.

Thirdly, you've got to, got to, GOT TO make sure you're prepared for Kojondo/Tornadus + Sashed Imprison Chandelure. I was watching the live feed of Nats, and there was a picturesque battle where a Sashed Imprison Chandelure 4/0'd COMPLETELY OBLITERATED a TR team completely by itself. I also carry it on all my non-TR teams just because they're so effective. However you want to go about it is up to you, there are several ways, some of which could even use the mons that you have in your party (say putting it to sleep, killing it, etc...) but you must, must, MUST know how to take care of it T1 if you plan to use a TR team. Human and Deagle made it so popular on PO, and it's made it's way to even Randomwifi now. If you aren't 100% confident you can counter it T1, you're going to lose.

Even with those 3 small things in mind, you've got a really great team here and I'm sure you'll do very well with it.

Best of luck!!!!!!!!

1-hmmm yeah, but ghost and psychic are to similar in type weaknesses that i may use audino/whimsicott for TR and replace energy ball for HP Ice for dragons, since energy ball hits only seismitoed, which is only on rain teams from my experience

2- I wonder if Fire Blast gets the OHKO on Occa Shroom/Occa Whimsi, ill do calcs later

3- human and deagle ruined TR teans, a imprision chandelure 3-0'd my team on random wifi maybe i can replace beartic for either druddigon/samurott, both have moves to take care of chandelure

well, thx for rate, i will keep your comments in mind

as for something like a threatlist:
    Mandibuzz-dont underestimate it. With whirlwind it can and WILL screw over Beartic/Electross. Only really they can hurt it. Ammongus has the worst matchup, but Mandibuzz can have trouble with it, even with Brave Bird.
    Landorus-With the exception of Beartic, this guy will walk right over your team. It hits your team hard(half of them super effectively with dual STAB) Again, Beartic and Electross with hp ice can take it, but thats it.
    Pretty much all fire types-With oneo fire check(Who is fire weak, Heatmor and Simisear can keep killing, if they can survive a rock slide.(which they can, given enough bulk/a rarley used charti)

Not much of a threat list, but at least a bump. Thats all from the top of my head atm, add more later.
    Last edited by AJ; 11th July 2011 at 8:24 PM.

Try changing musharnas moves to : trick room, charge beam, psychic, helping hand. With charge beam you have an electric attack and with the sp.a boosts yOu can do some damage because with out the boosts musharna can't do anything

My only suggestion is in regards to what mattj said about chandelure. I would suggest a wide lens to make the accuracy 99%. I honestly hate missing moves and in VGC thats DEFINIETLY a slap in the face to you. Sure u lose the sash, but if hes not gonna be TR and purely attacking, aqua jet is the only priority than can -possibly- knock him out as long as nothings slower than him on the field.

Or heat wave/flamethrower + fire gem. (trying to avoid the life orb you use already)

@twi yeah,ill try fire blast&fire gem for OHKO on Occa mon.

@appoh- musharna is not meant for attacking, its meant to set up TR, then use helping hand to boost my allies moves.band w/ no special attack investment, psychic 2HKO all fight pokes w/o sp.def investment and hp investment, and charge beam is a horrible attack to use, as it hits nothing that musharna would be scared off, so thats why hp fight is slashed next to protect, since fight hits darks (Bisharp/Hydregion)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonMaster123 View Post
    @twi yeah,ill try fire blast&fire gem for OHKO on Occa mon.

@appoh- musharna is not meant for attacking, its meant to set up TR, then use helping hand to boost my allies moves.band w/ no special attack investment, psychic 2HKO all fight pokes w/o sp.def investment and hp investment, and charge beam is a horrible attack to use, as it hits nothing that musharna would be scared off, so thats why hp fight is slashed next to protect, since fight hits darks (Bisharp/Hydregion)
    Recently, I created a support musharna based purley on defense. I can vouche that this little monster does NOT need any IV or positive nature in special attack. With psychic and HP fighting hes pretty much all round good.

updated OP

You may want to consider the Coba Berry on Amoonguss (like our conversation in the VMs), and Conkeldurr can nicely check Bisharp, making Musharna not give up Protect just to take him out.

And, as for Chandelure, why have Energy Ball? You'll probably only be seeing Jellicents which can be taken out with Shadow Ball.

I also don't see Discharge on Eelectross working too well since he can only work with Amoonguss, so Thunderbolt is slightly better unless you want a Landorus in there, which isn't that great of an option.

My FC: 2594-9889-0820

revised with new pokes for 2012

If you're not going to teach any of your pokemon moves like EQ or Surf, you'll want to replace Musharna's Telepathy ability with something else.

On another note, why use Granbull instead of Snorlax, who resists Heat Wave and Blizzard thanks to Thick Fat, can survive longer, and can sweep more efficiently under Trick Room's effect?
    3DS Friend Code: 2363-6123-7178

"It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness. It's slow death."
    — Major Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell

Chapters created so far: 9
    The link is in th picture. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
    If you're not going to teach any of your pokemon moves like EQ or Surf, you'll want to replace Musharna's Telepathy ability with something else.

On another note, why use Granbull instead of Snorlax, who resists Heat Wave and Blizzard thanks to Thick Fat, can survive longer, and can sweep more efficiently under Trick Room's effect?
    meh, i'm keeping telepathy, because i dont know if i'm keeping t-bolt on eelcktross, plus i may use eq in the future

and thanks, i used granbull because of intimidate, but now that i think about it, that makes sense

THX ^____^

*bumps/ puts on smogon/skarmbliss*

My first observation is I think this team is too TR reliant. TR is really easy to counter, even with mental herb and if you don't get TR off, then your biggest advantage is gone. My biggest suggestion is to make your team more flexible. Nothing wrong with having a team wit TR as it's primary option, you just don't want your team to be completely reliant on it.

Musharna looks great, no real complaints.

Scizor looks fine as well. It pretty much takes care of all weather threats as a lead, Id take brick break though over night slash so that it can deal with Excadrill. My only concern is I don't think it quite packs enough power to be considered a primary sweeper in this meta, making it more of an offensive support. It's also susceptible to intimidate which actually hurts Scizor alot in terms of it's power. I would suggest considering Metagross. It can do almost everything Scizor can do except for technician boosted bullet punch, and hit Ludicolo for SE damage, which shouldn't be a huge issue because Metagross resists all of Ludicolo's good STABs. You also get the chance to survive in sun with occa berry, or can even go for a normal gem explosion combo which can do big damage ounce Metagross gets low. Not to mention hes immune to the ever present intimidate!

While Granbull does have some decent options, Hitmontop looks like it would be a much better intimidate support. It can be relevant in TR or not through the use of it's great priority moves(mach punch, sucker punch). It can get Wide Guard to render spread attacks useless. It has decent bulk, give it an eject button and spamming intimidate becomes extremely effective. It even gets access to fakeout as well, this could even make space for more pokemon as your main use for Scrafty becomes free.

(skipping scrafty, alot to comment on it)

Eelektross looks good as a standard special sweeper set. You don't have life orb on anyone else on the team so i can't figure out why you wouldn't use it here. LOrb makes it so you don't have to switch it, to get a new attack. You will want to be able to switch attacks when it's down to the wire with your last 2 pokemon and your locked into flamethrower cause u used it to kill a player amoongus and he sends out his drizzle politoed. Physical set with flight gem acro has it's merits too. Just take a look at which set gives you the best coverage in the end and go with that.

Standard Amoongus. Pwrfl pokemon, especially in TR. Since it is a TR team, an option is to invest in some spatk EVs and and get sludge bomb instead of protect. That way it's alot harder to wall when rage powder isn't needed in TR anyway.

Finally
    Scrafty, if your going to use bulky Scrafty protect really isn't needed, give it Ice punch for coverage instead. Conkeldurr is a good alternative to scrafty, really strong pokemon with priority mach punches, which again makes it relevant in and out of TR. There are tons of options for pokemon on this team.

TR Chandellure with imprison. You can stop opposing team's TR with imprison while giving you a backup TR user, still do big damage to psycichs and other ghosts with shadow ball, has access to heatwave/overheat, grabbing some nice OHKOs on pokemon that could be problems for your team.

Toxicroak, another good Fakeout user, thats also good in TR. This pokemon has considerable damage and with LOrb becomes a real threat with priority. He also pretty much hard counters most rain setups, and even OHKOs ludicolo with poison jab with LOrb. Low Kick can hit some of the heavier pokemon in the game for big damage, Or you can get drain punch for survivability and make it almost impervious in the rain.

Haryama, LOrb with guts, OHKOs alot of things with close combat. Extremly dangerous pokemon to be considered for your TR team. He also has access to wide guard.

Don't forget, you could still use Politoed yourself as well, because sun can ruin your main sweeper. And puts Amoongus in considerable danger. Rain also takes care of those weaknesses really well and shields against fire attacks. Another option is for Abomasnow to control weather, who can also deal some nice damage through blizzard and wood hammer. Also makes some of the 4x weak dragons cower with STAB ice shard.

Overall decent thought process, I just think this team overall could benefit from being less TR reliant.
    Last edited by Noxe; 3rd November 2011 at 4:32 PM.
    Autumn Friendly Rank: 21st(1933) 75W-5L
    OT:Noxe
    ::My youtube channel!!!::
    Dear Professor Oak,
    Nerf Charmander -Bulbasaur
    P.S. Squirtle is fine

lol, i dropped this team weeks ago, i'm to lazy to make another RMT atm, I'm no longer running TR

I give tr Chandelure thumbs up. I used it in the autumn friendly and believe me, he pawnd! Along with my reinclus, they set up the tr for my team and with a hindering speed nature, he can be pretty slow. Chandelure is great for tr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast