Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: ClicheStorm

Great chapter!
    Wow! Now N has Zekrom and Hilbert has Reshiram! I cant wait to see what happens next!
    Bloodwraith? I think I've heard that around here... It sounds devestating... Good thing the game doesnt wipe out all your pokemon as part of the story...
    Keep up the awesomeness!
    I have:
    Platinum
    Heartgold
    White
    Black
    Rumble Blast
    White 2

I used to liek mudkipz, then I took an arrow in the knee. However the arrow turned out to be a seaking. It yelled "F*** yeah" so I screamed "FUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!". The seaking's face became that of a troll while mine became forever alone. The situation was super effective.

Because I totally blanked on Cryogonal's name and somehow didn't catch that. Thanks! *feels silly*

Yeah, you might have seen Bloodwraith around. I've got an RPG here on it, although it's yet another alternate continuity than CS because the timing is wrong.

This particular chapter was not in the original plans. It was just a bunch of threads that I needed to either continue or pull in to make things work. But I like how it came out, especially with getting to flesh out Rood some more. He has like one line in the Castelia scene in the game, so he's kind of... just there. Oh yeah, and there had been ideas for making Ghetsis Hilda's missing father. If only because the revelation scene would be freaking awesome because they're both large hams. But then I preferred having Hilbert and N being twins, and that made things messy with stuff, and yeah, decided to switch the missing dad to Rood. And that worked nicely.

There will still be a scene where Ghetsis and Hilda try to out-ham each other.
    Pokedex OS- Still trying to capture every single Pokemon out there in words: 648/718 Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh complete!

Fluer Noir- A story of a black flower, a shameful history, and magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysavvryl View Post
    Because I totally blanked on Cryogonal's name and somehow didn't catch that. Thanks! *feels silly*
    When I write I tend to put stuff I know I'm planning on changing/looking up in a different font color from the main text so I can spot it more easily (a habit I took to after I printed out a paper and saw "insert info on topic C here" in the printout - luckily with enough time remaining that I actually could insert said information before I turned it in).

That sounds awesome!

Wow, that was kind of a sad chapter. Bloodwraith sounds like a really horrible way for a Pokemon to die. Good thing there's nothing like that in-game. I'd do a lot of crying . . .

Also, I find it a little weird how everyone takes the fact that N and Hilbert are twins in stride. Ghetsis and Rood hardly even react to the news. Then again, this is the same story where people see Hilda and say "Oh, you have Kyurem" in the same way they would say "Oh, this hamburger has onions on it."
    Dimensions of Darkness - on hiatus l Sgt. Froakie - ongoing l Envoy - upcoming

harmoNy - one-shot l The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour - on hiatus
    Author's Profile

Latest Chapter (Sgt. Froakie): Chapter 2 - Beware the Cute Ones
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the awesome sig!

^^^ Agreed on the point where everyone just takes it in stride. You'd have thought that this super-famous (apparantly, I never really worked out how much of that was his vampire-Attract status working over long distances) trainer who can potentially control Reshiram would be a serious threat to their plans, especially one who seems to be good friends with Hilda.

A virus that attacks Pokeballs is an interesting concept. You say you used it in an RPG? Hmmm. How would it transmit between Pokeballs though?
    "Nothing is impossible- The word itself says, 'I'm possible!'"- Audrey Hepburn

One crazy trip: The adventures of a beret-clad boy and his best friend the sky. One day I will learn how to forum-format at a decent speed. Promise.

Nice way of putting the Species and their Nickname together. It helped me a lot with knowing which one is which.

Hm... I thought with Hilda's character, she would hate to go shopping with her mother but I guess I was wrong then. Wonder what they bought...

There's shadow pokemon and bloodwraith virus... I wonder what other horrible things there is hidden in Unova until Hilda, or N, or Hilbert, or Bianca, or Cheren, or whoever you want it to be, would find out.

Are you going to give Leslie more pokemon to protect herself?

Hilda nodded, but that made it the right time to bring something else up. She pulled out a notepad and began writing something out. When her mother came back with a train ticket, she passed the note over. It read, ‘I know you’ve already got Fluff and Fedora with you, but I’d like to send you back home with my Sawk Lance too. He can keep you safe if Plasma decides to cause trouble for you too. Besides, he would be happier that way too, I think. He feels like he owes me for accidentally breaking my leg a while ago, but he’s terrified of Kyurem, so it’s like he’s forced to work with the team and is unhappy over that. You should tell him that he can repay his debt by working to protect you instead.’
    I wonder if Kyurem knew the reason Hilda gave Leslie Lance... Since he's not reading this note...

Ah girl, I hope this one didn't end up hurting you too much.
    Last edited by FairoNeko; 24th February 2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: grammar error
    FF.net
    Click this too~!

Shippers of: Ikari, Special, Contest, OldRival, FerrisWheel, Frantic, DualRival, Tea, Commoner, Graceful, Mew, SoulSilver, MangaQuest, Colloseum, Quest, Jet, Wishful

Might be the Shippers of: Mock, Defrost

The new Kuyrem forms might mess with your story, eh?

I've been rereading ClicheStorm and I am now a FerrisWheelShipper. Not a ChessShipper anymore, though CheckMateShipping seems a little interesting... Funny that I say all this because this fic isnt even about shipping...
    Last edited by 3D992; 26th February 2012 at 3:47 AM.
    I have:
    Platinum
    Heartgold
    White
    Black
    Rumble Blast
    White 2

I used to liek mudkipz, then I took an arrow in the knee. However the arrow turned out to be a seaking. It yelled "F*** yeah" so I screamed "FUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!". The seaking's face became that of a troll while mine became forever alone. The situation was super effective.

Spoiler:- Bloodwraith:

Coffee Break

For some reason, Hilda was standing on the table. "This fic isn't about shipping?" she asked, nearly laughing. "This fic is about ship to ship combat! All out!"

"Say what?" Hilbert asked, trying not to look directly at her and get pegged as a pervert.

"I could explain, but then I'd have to eat you," Kyurem said.

"O-kay," he said, deciding it better to drop the subject. "It was kind of weird that the Plasma sages just accepted the twin thing. Ah, unless it does have to do with the myths... You know I should have asked her how much their side knows."

"Like you'd get an answer," Hilda said. "Anyhow, I do like shopping, especially for costumes. You gotta look awesome for big events! I think that covers everything, so let's...!"

"Wait a sec," Hilbert said, standing up from his chair. "What about the game sequel announcements? Is that going to affect ClicheStorm?"

Hilda smiled. "That's a good question."

There was a minute of silence.

"Are you going to answer it?" Hilbert asked.

Chapter 21: Silent Heroine at the Laundromat

1/9, afternoon

It was early January in Castelia, and the weather was simply awful. Hilbert looked outside the large window and saw the snow and rain mix that was falling down in a graying blur. On the overhang, there were many icicles dripping water, slowly growing. The streets were slick with gray slush. It might have been a time to head north and train along Route 4 and Desert Resort. Then again, that would require going out in that weather.

Instead, he found himself at a laundromat, getting his clothes cleaned and taking care of his gear. “It’s one of those less glorious days for a traveling Trainer,” he said. “But you have to get things taken care of.”

There wasn’t any other person in the laundromat, save for the evening attendant who looked half-asleep, if not napping in the chair. But his Litwick was on the table he was sitting at, listening to him. “Huu.”

Hilbert tried rubbing Madeline’s side. She seemed to appreciate that and leaned into his hand while closing her eyes. So far, she wasn’t showing the happy attention his other Pokémon would have given. She was still homesick. At least she trusted him now. “Nasty weather out there, isn’t it?”

About then, the door jangled as two people entered. Hilbert looked over in time to see Hilda kicking slush off her boots and Kyurem not bothering. She looked over and waved at him.

“Hey Hilda,” he said, waving back. “How’s it going?”

She smiled and gave him a thumbs up. Then she headed for the washing machines and put her bag on one of them with a heavy thump.

Over at the counter, the attendant lifted his visor up and looked at them. “Good evening,” he said. “More or less. Are you that girl who’s supposed to have Kyurem?”

Hilda nodded and pointed to the long haired boy with her. He just nodded too.

The attendant chuckled. “Eh, I don’t believe it. That immortal Pokémon stuff is just old nursery stories. But you should’ve heard my gran go off on a tirade because you have him; she says this winter’s going to shut down the whole region because he’s active.”

She just shrugged. Kyurem said, “That would be counterproductive.”

Still thinking it was a joke, the attendant shifted his visor back down and seemed to go to sleep. But Hilbert found the exchange odd. She should have said something, made some joke or exaggeration about her guardian. Not stay quiet. He patted the Litwick, then got up and went over to the washers. “Something up? You’re being strangely quiet.”

Hilda looked serious for a moment, nodding slowly while she pulled out her clothes and sorted them. Then she looked at Kyurem, who said, “She’s not to speak for today, as she’s lost her voice due to using it too much after yesterday’s antics.”

“I see,” he said. “You were trying to speak like Ghetsis for a long speech. I thought it was good.” She seemed happy to hear that, although then it was weird that she wasn’t replying. “Must be tough to be silent for a day.”

She made a determined face and put a fist partly in the air. And the wants running right under that expression made her thoughts fairly clear. This was a challenge and she was going to take it on full force, like everything else.

Thinking he might help, Hilbert tried to sort the clothes with her. “Good luck on that; I don’t know how much I can help… what’s this?” He picked up a mesh bag from the pile that had been pulled out. The mesh was thick enough that it was hard to see through, but he caught a glimpse of a pink flower on white fabric. And the shape of it… oh wait, that was a bra. “Ack, sorry!” he said, handing the bag to her and feeling his face turn red in embarrassment.

Hilda grinned wide and seemed to be fighting breaking into laughter. Instead, she elbowed him and gave him a wink. That was definitely meant to tease him.

“I am not a pervert,” he said, trying to keep it quiet so that the attendant didn’t overhear. But when he looked at her, he couldn’t help but imagine her in that underwear and… and sometimes it was just better to say nothing than to say the truth and get in trouble for it. “Erm, I’ll just leave you to this.” He went back over to the table where Madeline seemed uncertain of what had just gone on.

A few minutes later when her laundry was started, Hilda released her Minccino and Drilbur, then came over to sit near Hilbert at the table. She was still amused at his expense, but it wasn’t long before she was paying attention to the Pokémon instead. Mimi had decided to check out the laundry machines, getting up on one and tying to figure out why it was vibrating. On the table, Madeline had hopped closer to Hilbert, watching the newcomers (especially Hilda) carefully. Olette came up near Hilda, who took the Drilbur's paw and began looking over her claws.

Knowing that Kyurem didn’t talk a lot, it seemed to Hilbert that he had to carry any conversation today. “This Litwick decided to come with me for a little while,” he said. “I named her Madeline. She’s shy around human girls, though.” Hilda seemed interested in listening, so he told her of how Banshee had gotten the Pokémon to him.

They both had to pass time while waiting on laundry, so after a little while, Hilbert got out a deck of cards and offered to play a game with them. Hilda was able to use a notepad to get across anything she wanted to say. Surprisingly, it turned out that Kyurem couldn’t read the human language. It took more time to explain the symbols on the cards to him than to play a simple matching game. and by the time he got it, Mimi had figured it out too and sort of played along (she had a tendency to show the card she was looking to match, rather than just indicating a number, but it was still rather impressive).

But in that unusual card game and evening of doing laundry, Hilbert felt something he hadn’t in what seemed like a long time. He felt that the others wanted to be with him and were glad that he was around. The light wasn’t as intense or brilliant as before, yet Hilbert found himself loving this time more than what had come before. Maybe it was just knowing what the true absence of that light was like. Or maybe it was because their interest was more honest.

Or was it because Hilda seemed to have some kind of attraction to him that wasn’t forced?

At one time, he had loved it when girls had fallen in love with him. It had been a powerful feeling, knowing that he could get them to do whatever he wanted and they’d forgive him out of love. But now that he thought back on it, it made him feel awful. He hadn’t really loved them back, only loved the feel of their desire for him. He didn’t want to end up like that again.

But as he was folding up his clothes and putting them away in his bag, he realized that he didn’t want to let go of this light just yet. The weather outside was still cold and gray, with the slush turning to large wet flakes; that would only make him feel more miserable if he left like this. He didn’t know what Hilda was planning on doing, though, or if he’d be welcomed to come along. And what if he only wanted to stay there because he liked being wanted? It wouldn’t be any better than before.

Hilbert felt like that was the case, though. He wanted to stay with them because he wanted to be with her. Maybe at first, it had just because he thought he could get some use out of knowing her. Now, he liked her bold enthusiastic manner, and even her disregard for personal safety if it meant entertaining others and doing the right thing. And she probably wasn’t the most beautiful girl he’d run across, but she did have her charms... and it had been intriguing to consider what she might look like in only underwear. Not that he’d tell her that.

How was he supposed to keep her interest, though? Hilbert hadn’t had any trouble with getting girls on dates before. Then again, those girls had either asked first or had feelings so intense that he knew they’d say yes before he even asked. Hilda’s attraction to him right now wasn’t strong; in fact, she might not even notice those feelings. How did he ask if it was that small? Or more importantly, how did he get that attraction to grow into love?

She was already checking on how dry her clothes were, so there wasn’t much time to act. Feeling a little silly in being like this, Hilbert went over to her and asked, “Would you like to go out for a coffee or cocoa? I know a great cafe here in Castelia; it’s a little out of the way, but it’s one of the best places around.”

Without giving it much thought, she smiled and nodded. Hilbert smiled back; that was better. There hadn’t been any need to worry over it, just so long as he didn’t fall back into old habits.

“What do you mean to do with her?” Kyurem asked, getting up from the table with the other Pokémon and coming over to them.

“Just hang out for the evening,” he answered, looking to the dragon boy. When their eyes met, Hilbert felt a slight chill in how Kyurem was staring at him. Hilbert’s smile weakened; this was worse than dealing with the overprotective fathers who drilled him on what he meant to do with their daughters that night. He couldn’t rely on Attract to win over trust this time.

Kyurem stared at him a moment longer, then asked, “Would you protect her if something went wrong?”

A little insulted at that, Hilda frowned briefly, then rolled her eyes and went back to pulling clothes out of the dryer.

“I think she can handle herself in most cases,” Hilbert said. “But if something did go wrong, then yes, I’d help protect her too.”

He felt approval from both of them on that bit of diplomacy. Good. Nodding, Kyurem said, “Then she’s in your hands tonight.” He looked to Hilda. “Not that I don’t trust you, but we have certainly angered Plasma. I need to go speak with someone; I’ll find you two in a few hours.”

Hilda acknowledged this with a wave goodbye, then continued with her clothes. Hilbert waited until she was done, then they recalled the three other Pokémon and headed out. In this slushy cold weather, none of them would appreciate being outside. He didn’t really like this kind of weather, but it was nice in that he could bring out an umbrella and Hilda stayed close to him for that.

On one of the smaller streets that was not quite as lively as others, Hilbert brought her to a small storefront that wasn’t marked by much, just a sign with a coffee cup overhead and a picture of a saxophone on the window. The store inside kept a similar humble atmosphere, but it was warm and inviting, a place to get out of the rush and bustle of everyday life in Castelia. There was an old bar in the back, and small tables around the room. Next to the bar, there was a small stage where a pianist and a guitar player were provided some live music in the form of blues. There were a number of customers in tonight, most involved in their own private conversations.

The bartender greeted them with a friendly smile and a wave. “Evening, Hilbert. How’s your return trip been going?”

“Nothing like I expected,” he said, smiling. “But it’s working out. Oh, and this is a friend of mine, Hilda.”

“Good to meet you, young lady,” he said, shaking her hand. “And aren’t you that girl in that video making fun of Ghetsis? That was a real hoot.”

She nodded, happy for that acknowledgment. “Yeah, but now she’s lost her voice for doing it,” Hilbert said. “It was worth it, though, right?” And she agreed to that.

‘That’s too bad,” the bartender said. “It make you sore?”

She nodded and rubbed her throat.

“I’ve got a nice drink that can help fix you up from that,” he offered. “Get some chamomile tea with honey and a twist of lemon, and that’ll soothe minor irritations. Would you like me to brew one for you?”

“I’ll pay for it,” Hilbert said. “And could you get me a mocha and cream?”

“Sure enough; I’ll have ‘em ready in a few.” He then went off to get the drinks made.

“Thanks,” Hilbert said, then took Hilda over to one of the unclaimed tables. This would be a nice place to sit and talk. Or write, in Hilda’s case.

-+-

Kyurem went to the rooftop of the building the Laundromat was in and transformed into his true form. While up there, he observed the storm above and the city below. He knew people called the harshest winters his and he could create region-wide chills if he wanted. But this wet snow didn’t quite qualify; at least he didn’t think so. He didn’t see many normal winters, as he slept through many of them.

For a few minutes, he closed his eyes and felt the temperament of this storm. With his power, he could guide its movement, its winds, its precipitation. It felt natural, though, not induced. If this winter was harder than usual, it was a coincidence that he was awake for it. Feeling satisfied with that observation, he took off into the air and headed northwest.

Sand began to mix with the snow as he grew close to the old location of Shira. It had been a long time since he had been there, but that wasn’t his goal. When he got over the water of the bay, he descended and searched out a particular area. There were a few small islands there, including some which were obscured by the sandstorms. Kyurem landed on one that was of a decent size, then used his powers to send out a message. Hopefully there would be a response.

The sand in the air began to diverge, revealing a presence coming through. And then he was there, a tall white and blue dragon; the glow of the gem on his chest was fading as he set himself on being on the island. Dialga was the master of time, and thus his memory worked forwards as well as backwards. This made him one of the few Pokémon he could trust in fixing this problem, as he would understand why Kyurem was doing what he was.

But his memory wasn’t all that perfect. “Have you made any progress on researching what happened?” Kyurem asked.

“May 4th at the top of Dragonspiral Tower,” Dialga replied. “That was when she died.”

That was less time than he was hoping for, but perhaps enough. But there was something about that which made him raise his head. “At the tower?”

He nodded. “You know rules. Those who are eligible may enter, not just the chosen heroes. She followed one of them inside.”

“Hilbert and N, right? What happened inside?”

“I still don’t know that.” He bowed his head in apology, but seemed just as concerned. “You call me to this particular point for a reason.”

Kyurem nodded. “Someone is using Palkia’s powers. Ghetsis, the main spokesperson of Team Plasma and one of their Sages. I’ve seen them warp three times now, but this last time, I definitely caught the scent of her power. Is she here at this time?”

“Mmm,” Dialga went quiet. He and Palkia were like Kyurem and his siblings, in that their powers were connected so deeply that they were hyperaware of each other. So when he shook his head, Kyurem knew it had to be truth. “She is not; she’s still in Sinnoh at this point in time. But I do feel her power in this region. We will have to find out why.”

“Right. I’ll keep watching.”

“Wait,” Dialga said, leaning his head closer to Kyurem. “I know you wish to succeed this time, and I have agreed to help you do so. That is why I must warn you that you may need to get more active in blocking or directing developing events.”

Kyurem felt momentarily angered that he was thought insufficient this time. But then again, he reminded himself that he was well off his known roles this time around. “What do you mean by that? I am protecting her, and I made sure that someone else was watching out for her this evening.”

“I don’t know exactly what happened in the tower, but I may know part of why it happened.” Dialga straightened up, looking off to Castelia City. “At this point in time, the future is uncertain. But there are many dark paths it takes. You do not understand humans that well. Have you seen what happens when male Pokémon compete over a female?”

“Yes,” he said, puzzled at the seemingly random direction of Dialga’s speech. “I’ve seen Sawsbuck ram into each other hard enough to break off their horns, but what’s that got to do with this?”

“Humans can and will do much worse in similar situations,” he replied. “They can also do much better, but when emotions are running high, no one can think at their clearest. Keep that in mind and try to defuse the situation before it blows up.”

That gave Kyurem something else to be concerned about, given that he’d left Hilbert to watch over Hilda. He hadn’t considered the possibility of the two boys competing over Hilda, but given how they both responded to her, it could happen. “What am I supposed to do about that? I know even less there.”

“You will have to solve that problem on your own,” Dialga said, looking back to him now. “I’ll look into the matter of Palkia’s powers being used, so don’t worry about that. Is there anything else to discuss?”

Kyurem scowled at him, but Dialga didn’t respond to that. “No. But thanks for letting me know how much time I have to work with.”

“I’ll get back to you at a later point in time,” he said, then vanished back into time.

Since he’d be left alone on this island, Kyurem stayed there and thought about what was going on. If N and Hilbert competing for Hilda’s favor would somehow lead into her death, the death of his siblings, and the ruin of Unova, then it seemed right to try dissuading one or both before they got too infatuated. He was tempted to cut off both their efforts, threatening them both into keeping a friendly distance. That seemed like a good thing, as the thought of either of them getting that close to her unnerved him somehow.

And that made him concerned about his own feelings.

-+-

Some patrons of the coffee shop had left, and others had come in. Hilda and Hilbert were still there, with their Pokémon. Although they had finished their drinks some time ago, there hadn’t been any incentive to leave.

“Hoenn is really a beautiful place,” Hilbert said, still talking. “I remember when I was at Mount Chimney and there was a group of us just past the ash fields…”

Hilda looked over at Olette, who was busily poking small holes in a napkin. She was losing interest whenever he started talking about himself too much. Feeling that happening again, Hilbert checked himself and searched for something else to say.

“And the trail there had bike paths, even though there were all kinds of small ledges,” he switched to. “I saw some interesting Pokémon there too, like this one that was a little round piglet, rather cute, with a long springy tail that it bounced everywhere on. They call it a Spoink, and everywhere it goes, it carries around a large pearl. They don’t even craft the pearls themselves; they just carry them around and look into them. Some Pokémon have the oddest of habits.”

That worked, drawing her back into listening. It was habit, he figured. She was interested in listening to him and his default conversation was about himself. But her attraction wasn’t of the ‘forgive you of anything’ sort he used to get. It was something that could break, he felt that. And Hilbert didn’t want that to happen.

But that still didn’t solve whether he did this to feel good or because he really liked her.

He paused and looked at her. “You know, this would be a lot more fun if you could talk.”

Hilda smiled and patted her throat. Maybe she felt better, but she didn’t want to make things worse again.

Over at the small stage, a third musician joined the guitarist and pianist; this one had a trumpet. “Evening, everyone,” he said into the microphone. “You’re welcome to push back a few tables and do a little dancing if you feel up to it. We do this twice a week now. Hey buddy, let’s start with the usual.”

The guitarist nodded while the pianist played an intro. “Right. This is our interpretation of a classic song attributed to the peerless musician and muse, Meloetta; just bringing it up to our style, you see.” After getting in tune with each other, the three man band started in on their song.

Other people were taking up the suggestion of clearing up a space. Hilbert took Hilda’s hand. “Want to join in? Just so long as you don’t get crazy like last time we were at a dance.”

Amused more than insulted, she nodded and got up to help get chairs and tables out of the way. The guitarist started singing the familiar lyrics; it was very common for Unova musicians to start a show with this particular song and there were many different versions. This one was slow paced.

“You ever done a couples dance?” Hilbert asked quietly. When she shook her head, he said, “Well I won’t go all formal on you then. Here, take my hand, and put your other one around my hip.” Pulling her closer, he added, “and no, I’m not a pervert.”

Hilda nearly laughed, but winked and mouthed, ‘You suggested it, not me.’

“I keep getting myself in trouble today, don’t I?” he asked, earning a glimmer of approval from her. She liked for things to be funny or interesting; that was good progress towards finding out how to hold her attention.

It wasn’t easy to lead her in the dance at first, as she wasn’t sure what to do and they ended up stepping on each other’s toes. Then there was how small the space was, even after they had pushed the furniture aside; there might have only been a handful of them dancing, but they still bumped into each other. But once they figured things out and got in step with each other, there was a short time where Hilbert thought he didn’t want to be anywhere else but here, with an old song bringing Hilda closer to him.

The feeling lasted until something clamped onto his leg and nearly caused him to trip. Hilbert clutched Hilda a little tighter just in case one of them fell over and looked down. A gray furry face looked back up at him. “Sho ka chi!”

“Oh, hi there,” Hilbert said. The song was coming to an end anyhow, so he let go of Hilda and picked the Minccino up. “It was Mimi, right? You trying to join in?”

“Ca mi!” The Pokémon hugged him. Hilda scratched the Minccino’s head.

“Might as well head on out,” Hilbert said, a little reluctant but figuring the other couples were going to stay a while longer. Better to free up some space then. “Where are you staying? I’ll walk you over there.”

Back out in the cold streets, it was still snowing. Ice was forming quicker, giving many surfaces a dangerous shine. The warmth of the coffee shop hung onto him, but doubts about why he wanted to be with her were trying to break into his heart. What did he really want out of this? He could read the desires of others so well, but trying to read his own was like grasping a cloud.

He was so involved with these thoughts that he nearly walked right into something that didn’t seem quite real. Hilbert stopped in his tracks, causing Hilda to stop as well and wonder why. Right in the middle of the air, there was a ghost image. But it wasn’t like any he’d seen before. For one thing, it had never been in this spot, or at least he’d never noticed it on this busy street. For another, it wasn’t exactly a thing. If he had to describe it like anything, he’d say it was like two glowing threads that had gotten twisted together, sparking off each other.

“Do you see that?” he asked, pointing out the twisted threads. But when he got his hands too close, a spark leapt out at him and he saw…

She was holding him in disdain? Hilbert felt puzzled as to why. Sure, some of the girls had stopped following him and he’d never see them again. But he hadn’t had one start to walk off in disgust. He ran back out of the Castelia inn after her. “Hey, what gives?

“I don’t think you’re as good of a Pokémon Trainer as you seem to be,” she said. “Your lessons are either basic or worthless. I want to be really entertaining for everyone, but I don’t think I’ll get that from you.”

Her words were like flickers of darkness, blocking out the light. It unnerved him terribly. “What are you talking about? I’ve never lost a match, so there’s no one who can be greater than me. Look, uh…” who was she again? He’d seen her from time to time since returning to Unova, but there were always so many people to meet.

“Hilda,” she said, annoyed. “I don’t know how to explain that flawless record, but it makes me think that there’s something off about you and your claims. Honestly, I hardly ever see you with Pokémon.”

Sometimes disapproval angered him, or it was easily explained as jealousy. But there was something, well, honest about this disapproval. He needed to disprove it, and it had to be done fast! Hilbert smiled at her, subconsciously increasing the effect of his Attract state substantially. “I don’t teach everything, of course,” he said. “But if you’re serious about advancing your career with the League, I might be able to help out. I’d have to know that you’re serious, though.”

Hilda’s willpower may have been strong, but his power was able to undermine that readily. “How do I know you’re being serious?” she asked, but without much resistance behind it.

Now that she was interested in him again, Hilbert knew he could handle this much easier. “Why don’t we go out for some coffee and talk about it this evening?”

The vision broken when Hilda grabbed his shoulder and shook him gently. She looked concerned, but when he was able to look at her, she shook her head and waved her hand in the air. The threads evaporated as her fingers passed through it.

Hilbert put his hand on Hilda’s, the one still holding on to him. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to worry you. I should have known you wouldn’t; it was a psychic memory or something. I don’t get it though. It can’t be true, but it seemed to be true.”

After a moment, she shrugged. There really wasn’t much she could say if she hadn’t seen it.

“I guess it’s not too important.” He dropped his hand, still holding on to hers. “I had fun tonight. But, I don’t know if I want to make anything of it. I like you, but I’m not too sure about all this.” Her feelings on this were hard to read. Almost as bad as his own, as he wanted to keep away until he could figure things out and keep her close by at the same time. “Look, could you just call me when you can talk again? Not like last time, hopefully.”

Hilda smiled and nodded.

Hilbert laughed nervously. “I mean, that was incredible timing, catching me right as I was coming out of that shower. But I’d better be clothed next time or,” some thoughts came to mind that made him blush, “Oh drat, that doesn’t sound right does it? I, um…”

And while he tried to figure out what to say without getting muddled up again, he got an impulse to kiss her and did just that before he could catch himself. It wasn’t even a big one, just a short kiss on her lips. But the way it made him feel made it far more significant than any other kiss he’d had. It made it clear that he didn’t want to hurt her by just using her. He wanted to know that he was being honest.

He stepped away from her, letting go of her hand. “I’ll talk to you some time later, then.”

Hilda nodded and for a moment she did seem sad to see him go. Through his power, he felt that she was worried about him and wanted to know how she could help. He needed to figure this out on his own, though.

Then his power picked up two strong feelings of murderous intent.

Although he didn’t even see who it was at first, Hilbert knew he had to get on the other side of Hilda. He grabbed her hand again and jerked her away to swap places with her. Then something hit his head and he blacked out.

-+-

Hilda felt herself in a happy glow when Hilbert kissed her. Maybe he was trying to say that he wasn’t sure about dating at that time, but he certainly did like her. She might not even tease him when she called later, although that would take a lot of willpower to resist. He was still a little too self-centered, but even that might be worn away by this trial of his.

In the next moment, things happened with confusing speed. Hilbert had gone from reluctantly saying goodbye to turning pale and yanking her away from someone who was shouting. There was a sickening thump before she managed to turn around. When she did, Hilbert was already falling onto the slushy sidewalk and some pink haired girl was standing there with a baseball bat in both hands.

The girl looked shocked for a second, then raised the bat again. “Oh, look what you made me do-aaahhh!”

And she screamed because right then, Kyurem descended in dragon form and bit one of her arms clean off at the elbow. Eating the bat as well, he landed and glowered at her with strong hatred. Although the girl had nearly tried to attack her (maybe even kill her), Hilda felt concerned and came up between her and Kyurem. Up and down the street, people were looking in their direction to see a screaming girl minus half her arm, a boy unconscious on the sidewalk, and her staring down a legendary dragon.

This was not going to look good.
    Last edited by Ysavvryl; 25th April 2012 at 4:23 AM.
    Pokedex OS- Still trying to capture every single Pokemon out there in words: 648/718 Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh complete!

Wow... Great chapter... Forget what I said about FerrisWheelShipping!
    That was a great chapter. It was funny, romantic, and just plain good. Was that Banshe or one of Hilbert's other fangirls? A bit sickening about the whole minus half an arm... Just imagine all the blood... I hope Kyurem is happy that Hilbert saved Hilda.
    I have:
    Platinum
    Heartgold
    White
    Black
    Rumble Blast
    White 2

About time Kyurem finally ate somebody, lol.

I can't help but feel that that is Banshee, she's the only one still crazy for him. Oh look, Hilbert's got his psychic powers back. May be a bit troubling though, because he may lose the ability to resist using his powers and go back to old Hilbert.

Very nice writing, Ysavvrl! I'll be checking back silently like I have been.

Check out the forum World Beyblade Organization! It's a huge forum with over 85,000 members dedicated to the hobby of Beyblading! You can sign up here!

Pokemon X Friend Code: 1091-8184-3378
    Steel Type: , , and

He didnt get his attract back and he never lost his psychic abilities.
    I have:
    Platinum
    Heartgold
    White
    Black
    Rumble Blast
    White 2

First: Hooray! A new chapter.
    Second: Speculation on my part: I'm guessing that you are planning on linking Team Plasma's usage of spacial power to Ghetsis' possession of the Adamant, Lustrous, and Griseous orbs? (Specifically Lustrous)
    Mentioning the meme will result in OVER 9000 Hydro Pumps in your face! I don't want to get into that, and neither should you.

I have already evolved and killed you all! (And by that I mean 49 trainers in a row at the battle tower.)

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

I never thought of that... I think its just the shadow triad.
    I have:
    Platinum
    Heartgold
    White
    Black
    Rumble Blast
    White 2

I kinda wasn't at home when the previous chapter went up, so I decided to do these 2 chapters together.

Bloodwraith is an interesting concept, and a good expansion of BW's storyline. I also like your depiction of Hilda and Hilbert's relationship.

I have some crazy theories regarding the DST death of Hilda, but I'll not speculate about it just yet. They do involve the move Draco Meteor, Fusion Flare and Fusion Bolt(and a gigantic battle between N and Hilbert)...
    Why do n00bs exist? Find out by pressing Ctrl+W!

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one386
    I'd squeak, too, and I'm merely a year older than she is. Hey, and 18 year olds squeal, too. :P I know I do.

Eighteen year olds actually squeal in USA. IT'S A CONSPIRACY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD USING SQUEALS OF EIGHTEEN YEAR OLDS!

Credits to Gladeshadow!

[IMG]http://i46.*******.com/mmxlg.png[/IMG]
    Exploting the AI like never before!

My OT fanfic: Fighting The Shadows

So kyurem can change forms without need of reshiram or zekrom... are you sure you cant answer me, Hilda?
    I have:
    Platinum
    Heartgold
    White
    Black
    Rumble Blast
    White 2

Announcement type thingy

First of all, I must apologize. I am an evil author because I posted a cliffhanger right before I planned on putting this fic on hiatus. And you could be hanging for a long time.

Yeah, I’m putting ClicheStorm on hold for now. It has to do with the announcement of Black 2 and White 2. Now I don’t think the games will have much of an effect on this fic. If it continues the game story (as I hope), then it won’t do much as this story retells the first Black and White versions. What could affect this fic is the new Kyurem formes. It reworks the power and potential of one of this fic’s major characters and after some thought, I really want to know that information before I go much further.

I think I already have the framework and symbolism within the story to use the new formes without altering much. At this point, it may only be one scene that changes greatly with any other changes being cosmetic or flavor shifts. I still want to wait. As you probably know, I love the little details and I want to get them right. And that one scene could be worth the wait.

So how long is this going to be on hiatus? I can’t say exactly. If I can get the forme information around the time of the Japanese release, then CS should restart during the summer. I should be able to get away with not using English names as I don’t think they’ll be needed until late in the fic, and the American/European releases should be out by the time I reach those scenes.

During this time, I plan on going back and fixing up old errors, finally changing those early chapter titles, adding dates, and maybe tweaking some details. I also hope to write ahead some, because right now I only have Chapter 22 written out. It may need to be split up into two chapters, though; I meant to have the Hilda vs Burgh Gym battle in 22, only the chapter’s gotten to page ten and the battle hasn’t started yet. Past chapters have been around 8-11 pages, if you’re wondering. If it works out, I hope I can write in-story up through March at least.

That’s how things stand. Thanks for your patience and I really believe that this is going to make things better in the end.

PS: Okay, okay… Hilbert lives. It’s too early to kill him off. But he did get whacked in the head by a baseball bat, which will have repercussions.

If it goes on hiatus for ten months, I shall personally ring up the Dot Com Building to complain.

Jokes aside, it's just a period with slow updates. At least we can be relatively assured with the eventual completeness of this fic, unlike many others that are out there.

Although, I must also say that it's nice to watch Kyurem finally eat somebody.

One crazy trip: The adventures of a beret-clad boy and his best friend the sky. One day I will learn how to forum-format at a decent speed. Promise.

I understand... there is a Jap preview of kyurem's forms in action somewhere.
    I have:
    Platinum
    Heartgold
    White
    Black
    Rumble Blast
    White 2

To the announcement: That's sad to know. I'm curious about BW2 too. Hopefully, the hiatus won't be too long.

So, Hilbert know he's attracted to Hilda. Hmm... I'm a FerrisWheelShipper so I don't particularly care for this... news... But... They kissed... ugh... I don't know how to feel about it...

Just one quick question: what's Hilbert's first pokemon? What happened to it? Did I miss it when you mentioned it?
    FF.net
    Click this too~!

Shippers of: Ikari, Special, Contest, OldRival, FerrisWheel, Frantic, DualRival, Tea, Commoner, Graceful, Mew, SoulSilver, MangaQuest, Colloseum, Quest, Jet, Wishful

Might be the Shippers of: Mock, Defrost

Welp... this story can start up again in fall I guess....
    Last edited by 3D992; 24th April 2012 at 6:30 PM.
    I have:
    Platinum
    Heartgold
    White
    Black
    Rumble Blast
    White 2

Seriously, I've got to quit forgetting to read the last chapter. Oh well, once I finally get that done, I'll edit in a review. In the meantime, I just want to congratulate Hilda for being the Best Human Main Character of 2011! It's a well-deserved title. Also, congratulations must go out to Kyurem and Victini for getting second place in Best Non-Human Main Character and Best Non-Human Supporting Character, respectively.

Author's Profile

Coffee Break

The table that they usually used for breaks now had a vase filled with roses on it. “This just confirms how awesome I am!” Hilda said, grinning. “Thanks everybody for the character award! Because of that, I nagged Ysavvryl into posting the next chapter anyhow. Woohoo!”

“The rest of it is still on hold until the news release,” Kyurem said, calmly sipping at his tea. “Might be soon, might be in June. We'll just have to see.”

“Hopefully sooner, since she managed to clear out a bunch of other writing projects. So then, comments,” she glanced over at Kyurem. “What about Hilbert's powers?”

“He had two separate ones, the permanent Attract state and being able to detect desires. Reshiram and I locked out his Attract power, but he kept the other, since it wasn't as easy to abuse without Attract.” He looked over the comments. “And since we're talking about supernatural powers, I know that was Palkia's power, but she wasn't here. Can't say much more about it. As for me, I don't want to talk about it.”

“Oh really?” Hilda teased. When he just snorted, she shrugged. “And there was a question about Hilbert's first Pokemon... you know, I have no clue. I first saw him with a Gigalith, and that one's been released. Hey Hilbert! What was your starter Pokemon?”

“A Larvesta!” he called back from the hallway. “It's gone too...”

“Dude, you started with a Larvesta?” Hilda asked, jealous. “Man, were you spoiled or something?”

“You could say that.”

“Oh yeah, and I die in this chapter!” Hilda said merrily.

Kyurem spat out his tea. “What?!”

Chapter 22: Princess of Snow, Pt 1

morning, 1/16

The movement of the elevator made N’s stomach twitch. He closed his eyes, fighting off the disoriented feeling. Why was he back here in Castelia? He hated cities and this was a city bigger than any other around. Three of his Pokémon were with him (as he was trying to keep the Sandile from going off into hibernation), but so was a stranger that none of them were sure about. N opened his eyes when the elevator stopped, but it wasn’t the floor he wanted. The other man got off, though.

Just before the doors closed, he saw the hospital directory. Right, that was why he was here. Hilbert had been hurt.

N got off at the next stop, followed by his Pokémon. “This place smells funny,” Kimi the Scraggy said, clutching onto her loose skin.

“It smells like bleach and chemical cleaners,” N said. “They have to keep really clean here.”

“I don’t think this level of clean is healthy.”

“I don’t think your level of dirtiness is healthy,” Daisy said. The Darumaka had kept clear of Kimi the whole time they had been on the same team.

“It builds strong immunity.”

“I don’t know if they’d appreciate that, Kimi,” N said. “Sorry, but there’s scientific evidence to back up their cleaning habits. You’d better return to your ball while we’re here.”

“That’s a bore,” she said, but returned after that.

After checking in at a nurse station, N went to the room Hilbert was staying in. It was mostly white, with cabinets in a pale blue and a repeated motif of dark blue diamonds. Heavy curtains covered the windows and hung from a track to give more privacy if needed. In front of the hospital bed, Hilbert was sitting in a chair, bandages wrapped around his head. A Litwick sat on the bed, observing the newcomers with a nervous poise.

Hilbert himself smiled. “Well this is unexpected. Good to see you.”

“I wanted to come check on you myself,” N said, taking a second chair when offered. He picked up Daisy to put her in his lap. “Hilda told me, and I passed the message on to Giallo. He had no idea that you were in trouble and said he’ll come later.”

“That’s good, thank you.” He leaned back in his chair, closing his eyes. “I was getting bored anyhow. I’m not supposed to be doing much right now; they don’t want me over-stimulated.”

“Are you okay with my Pokémon being here?” N asked.

“I can stay out of his sight,” Rune said. The Sigilyph then flew to the window, investigating some objects on that side of the room.

“I think I’m okay with them if they’re quiet,” Hilbert said, looking at him again.

“I’ll be quiet,” Daisy said.

N patted the Darumaka in thanks. “Then what happened to you? Hilda didn’t have time to explain fully.”

“They got attacked by the scariest person ever,” the Litwick said in a shy tone.

He touched his forehead. “She’d know the full story better than me. We were hanging out one night and we got approached by this one girl. She’s been stalking me for the past few months and must have gotten jealous that Hilda was with me. She went to attack her with a bat, but I sensed her intentions and got Hilda out of the way, only to get hit in the head myself. I blacked out after that, but it seems like Kyurem then bit half of the other girl’s arm off. And Hilda had lost her voice that evening, so she apparently had a tough time trying to explain what happened to the paramedics and the police.”

“Is she okay?” N asked. “She seemed to be speaking well, but she didn’t mention being in trouble herself.”

Hilbert shrugged. “I think she won’t get into serious trouble. Kyurem’s attack was clearly provoked as his Trainer’s life was in danger. I’m more worried if they can keep Banshee away from Hilda. She’s clearly too crazy.”

“Sounds like it. How are you doing?”

He smiled. “Better than they expected. I mean, I got hit in the head with a bat by an angry girl. When the paramedics brought me in, they thought she might have cracked my skull in two. But no… I’ve got a nasty bump, some small cracks, and at least a moderate concussion. Still nowhere near as bad as they thought. They’re making sure that it’s not more serious, but I could be out of here tomorrow.”

“That’s good.” This really wasn’t quite that hard, N thought. He’d been making too much of a distinction between speaking with Pokémon and speaking with humans, but in the end, it wasn’t all that different. As long as you showed interest in the other person and tried for a fair exchange, conversations didn’t have to be something to be nervous about.

“How’ve you been doing? Sorry I didn’t stick around with you, but it seemed like I might distract you from your training.”

N had wondered when Hilbert had left Desert Resort. “I suppose I was at fault too, since I was ignoring you for a while. I’m sorry. But it’s been the usual routine. We were getting ready to challenge Nimbasa Gym, actually, but then Hilda called and I felt like I had to come check on you.”

He seemed to appreciate that, from how he smiled. “Thanks. It’s nice to have someone else concerned for me after all that’s happened. Have you really been challenging the Gyms in order from Striaton? You’re making extraordinary progress if that’s true. I can’t remember anyone else who went through a League that fast unless they had a lot of experience behind them.”

“It’s not been that fast,” N said, feeling embarrassed. He didn’t like battling, so it didn’t make sense for him to be good at it. “I’ve gotten several setbacks,” and if he hadn’t, he might have reached Driftveil or even Mistralton by now.

“Doesn’t seem to be that bad,” Hilbert said in admiration. “I mean, Hilda and her friend Cheren are still here in Castelia and you guys all started at the same time. And you switch teams all the time, so that’s a really good pace.”

“Maybe.”

There was a knock on the door frame to the room; Hilda was leaning into the room. “Hey, hi you two. Mind if me and Rei come in?”

“I think it’ll be okay, for a little bit,” Hilbert said. “And if you don’t get too loud.”

“Gotcha.” Then she and Kyurem came in.

“Rei?” N asked. He wasn’t sure how he felt about nicknaming a legendary Pokémon, but she seemed to have done just that.

Sort of. “Only she may call me that,” Kyurem stated.

“Is Banshee going to sue you?” Hilbert asked.

Hilda shook her head. “I’m sure she’d like to, but both the defense laws and the fact that she’s a real loony keep her from doing so. The police are going to take her into custody, though, so we shouldn’t have problems from her.”

“I can still taste her perfume,” Kyurem said, making a sickened face.

“We didn’t need to know that,” Hilda said, lightly hitting his arm.

“Really,” N agreed, trying to calm down a now frightened Daisy.

But then from the state of her body, there was no denying it: Hilda was dead. There was a crushed flower near her hand, spattered with blood. N and Hilbert were there, the former getting up shakily, the latter kneeling by her and a scattering of stones.

“You killed her.”

Murder? Why did he keep seeing death with this ability? Especially that of his friends?

She spoke up, the conversation having carried on while his mind was distracted. “That stinks, that you can’t do much. Well you’ll have to get a recording of the live League show this Friday and watch it later.”

“What for?” Hilbert asked.

Rune seemed to notice N’s change in mood, as he made a coo of concern and started to fly back over. But he still didn’t want to disrupt Hilbert. N closed his eyes for a second, trying to think. He had to save both of them now, had to find some way to convince them to let him protect him. Because if he gave the word to Plasma, then no harm would come to either of them.

“I’m going to challenge Burgh then,” Hilda said. “I had to convince them that I’d be worth including in the show; it worked, and now this is going to be awesome.”

Strange, she was even moderating her voice for Hilbert. N looked at them again and figured that was what friends did around each other. They might believe him, but what about when he told them who he really was? Would they distrust him then? That didn’t seem appealing. “I don’t get why they would make a show glorifying violence against Pokémon,” N said.

“It’s not that bad,” Hilda said. “It’s not like anybody’s standing behind the Pokémon with a whip and forcing them to do it. Pokémon fight because they like it. I mean, haven’t your Pokémon play fought? Mine do that quite a bit. Well, all but Kyurem.”

“I still don’t like it.” It was bothering him some: his Scraggy and Sandile sparred quite frequently and they seemed to have a lot of fun with it. But the damage that could be done when it turned to abuse was too much to stay quiet about.

“Then why are you participating in the League?” Hilbert asked.

Hilda seemed interested in the answer too, which made N feel uncomfortable. He needed some more time to figure out how to break it to them. “I have my reasons,” he said instead.

Thankfully, a nurse interrupted them. “Excuse me, but you shouldn’t keep your visitors much longer.”

“All right,” Hilbert said. He smiled sheepishly. “Sorry guys, but thanks for coming.”

“No problem,” Hilda said, smiling. “Must be pretty annoying to be treated like you’re fragile goods, though.”

He grimaced. “Exactly. But I suppose I am. Sometimes my head goes weird and I’m glad they block out as many distractions as possible to help me through it.”

She got up. “Well I owe you a call, but you’re gonna have to call me first. Don’t let anybody else hit your head, all right?”

“Of course,” Hilbert said, nodding.

N said goodbye to him too, then left to follow Hilda out of the building. “Well not the Leader,” she was telling Kyurem. “I mean the Gym Trainers.”

“Hilda,” N said, as Daisy settled herself in a secure position with an arm on his shoulder (so she could watch Kyurem). Rune flew behind him. “Could I ask you something?”

“Other than that?” she asked teasingly, slowing her pace so he could catch up. “Sure, what’s on your mind?”

“What do you think of death,” he asked, in a quiet voice above whispering. There were other people around and he wasn’t sure how’d they take this conversation here.

“Well that’s an odd question,” Hilda said, raising an eyebrow. But she was keeping low tones too. “In our case, it’ll happen whether we want it to or not. The important thing is to leave behind a positive impact on the people around you. It’s a pity when not many people notice when someone good dies.” She shook her head, bothered by that.

“Why would you want to know that?” Kyurem asked.

“You might die sometime soon,” N told her, feeling nervous.

“Oh, that,” she said, sounding unsurprised. She even laughed. “I knew about that. That’s why Rei’s here with me.”

“But how did you know that?” the dragon boy asked.

They came to the elevators, one of which was there. “I have visions of the possible future,” N told them, going in and pressing the ground floor button. “If I knew any more, I’d tell you. There was some kind of flower.”

“What kind of flower?” Kyurem asked.

N shrugged. “I don’t know.”

“Then don’t concern yourself with it,” he said, in a way that suggested that he wasn’t going to hear any arguments to the contrary. “I’m protecting her; I could do a lot worse to a person than taking a limb from them.”

Hilda smiled and the doors opened again. “That means I’m in good hands, right? Well it’s only a possible future, so I might still live. Don’t be a stranger now, N!” She waved as she got off the elevator and headed for the exit.

The ice was so heavy that even the strongest of trees were wilting under its weight. The dragon Kyurem watched over this bleak landscape, with snow that buried the entire town. And she was there, as pale and cold as the snow that was slowly burying her as well.

Maybe it would be worth it to be a stranger so that it didn’t affect him… no, that wasn’t right. It was only a possible future; she might still live. N just had to figure out how to make certain that she lived. But first, he had to tell her the truth.

-+-

evening, 1/16

It was a chilly icy evening, but there were people on this rooftop, talking and admiring the view of the city from up high. Kyurem rather liked it, so he didn’t mind when Hilda wanted to come up here to look around. For the best view, he got up on top of one of the pillars that was on the safety railing. A few people looked at him in concern, but didn’t say anything right off.

Kyurem did mind the two older women who had come over to talk with Hilda. “We just don’t think it’s safe, young lady,” one of them said. “Kyurem’s presence leads to terrible times where many people die. It’s already a bad winter, so you should release him and try to get him back into hibernation.”

“He says he’s here to protect me and he won’t do something big unless I let him,” Hilda replied. “I might do some crazy things, but I’m not about to destroy the whole world, you know.”

“You don’t even have to go a fraction of that far to cause trouble,” the other woman said. “He’s already hurt somebody, and he would do so again.”

She frowned at that, apparently annoyed at their complaints but not willing to be rude just yet. “That girl could’ve killed me, and as it is, a friend of mine is in the hospital now because of it. He did what most any other Pokemon would’ve done for their Trainer. Well maybe not as far as amputation, but it happens.”

At that point, Kyurem got distracted from listening in because Mimi had clambered up on the fence to perch near him. “You might not want to do that,” he told her.

“But I want to be up here with you,” the Minccino said. She got up on top and peered over the edge, sliding. “Wow, we’re so high up!”

Kyurem put his hand on her chest and pulled her into a more secure position. “And that’s why I’d rather you not be here. I can fly if I slip.”

Pricking her ears up, she looked to him. “Really, even though you’re a human?”

He nodded. “Really. Although I’d rather not since they’d freak out about it.”

“Wow, you can do anythi…whaa!” She had slipped on the icy railing, losing her grip.

But Kyurem had a secure grip on her in seconds. He picked her up and brought her to his chest. “That’s what I was worried about,” he said quietly to her.

“But I knew you’d catch me, I knew you would,” Mimi said, clasping his shoulder. She was completely confident in him.

Sighing, he closed his eyes and put his head on hers. “Don’t scare me like that.”

“Hmm?” She patted his face with her other paw. “Why would that be scary? I wasn’t scared, not a lot, and I thought you weren’t scared of nothing.”

He scratched her head, looking back over the city skyline. “I’m scared to lose you.” Again.

Having gotten away from the older women for the moment, Hilda came over to where they were perched. “Hey, you sound like some overprotective father there,” she said as a joke.

“Because I am her overprotective father,” Kyurem replied in all seriousness. Mimi giggled, then reached over to Hilda. He passed her over.

“You are?” Hilda asked, taking the Minccino and holding her to one side. “How’d that happen?”

“I found her egg one day and brought it back to my den. Her parents were dead.” Because he’d eaten them and decided to save the egg for later. He just never mentioned that in front of Mimi. “And she latched on to me when she hatched, so I tolerated her, grew to love her as my daughter.”

“And you couldn’t resist cause I’m cute,” Mimi added teasingly. He had to smile at that, but he didn't translate it.

“Huh, I thought your place would’ve been too cold for an egg to hatch,” Hilda said. “At least for something that wasn’t an Ice type.”

He turned serious again. “It baffled me too, but I didn’t care to look into that too much. Did those women bother you?”

She shrugged. “Well yeah, but I’m not too worried about it. I know you’re trying to do the right thing. Although, why did you decide to be the hero this time around?”

For a moment, he considered giving her a vague answer. Not everything on his mind concerned mortals, and some things weren’t meant to be known by them. But in traveling with her for this amount of time, he felt that he could trust her with some answers. He gestured out to the city below. “Because it’s Unova, and my siblings. When I go out to destroy civilizations, I don’t mean to kill this place. I do so in order to let them rebuild things for the better. The destruction I saw wasn’t the kind that can be recovered from, at least not in the next century.”

“So you’re like those people who set controlled fires instead of letting wildfires clear out overgrown areas?” Hilda asked.

He nodded. “Quite. And my siblings, I know it sounds like we’re fighting all the time when we’re awake. But that’s not entirely the case. We are…” he crossed his arms over on his knees, still crouched on the pillar, “we’re bound by ancient rules that I can’t tell you about, but they’re in place so that the world does not become dominated by us immortal souls. The debates and struggles are a part of that, allowing people and Pokemon to decide the shape of the future. The three of us are actually quite close and there have been times when even they have gone out of their usual bounds to support me.” He looked over at them, Hilda and Mimi. “Like the time she… when she left this world. They were there for me even though they were supposed to be fighting against me at the time.”

Puzzled, Mimi twitched her ears. “Huh, is that when I moved to the dream world?”

“Yes,” he said, except that she’d died instead. He looked down, feeling uneasy about revealing this much. “So this once, when they’re both in danger, I want to be there for them.”

“That’s good,” Hilda said, smiling. “And you didn’t even argue being a hero.”

Kyurem shrugged. “If that’s who I have to be, that’s what I’ll do. But it’s like playing an entirely new game and I’m still learning all the rules. Just don’t speak of this with others; I don’t want people to go thinking I’m soft-hearted or anything.”

“Gotcha,” she said, running a finger across her lips to show her silence on the matter.

While they were talking freely, he decided he should probably bring something else up. He looked back up at her. “And another thing. I know you fear being an unknown more than death. But please, don’t get reckless about your life. I don’t take the deaths of my friends well.”

She raised an eyebrow. “Oh, so you’re even admitting I’m a friend now?”

“We’re all friends!” Mimi said in a squeal, and hugged Hilda at her neck.

“One of the rare few,” he admitted. “But don’t let it get to your head.”

-+-

evening, 1/18

The day had finally arrived: Hilda and her Pokémon team were going to challenge Burgh. She couldn’t stop smiling and had an inclination to go running there despite the slush and ice all over Castelia. However, Kyurem put a stop to that, pointing out that she didn’t want to wreck her outfit before she even got there.

Which was a good reason, she figured. Under her coat, she was wearing a white and silver dress that went down to her knees and emphasized her chest some. It had fake fur in white around the collar too, all feathery and luxurious looking. She wore a silver necklace with a blue crystal heart on the pendant, with small matching earrings. And she’d even made sure to get her hair nicely styled this morning. It was all about making a good impression on the audience.

There would be a good audience too. When she entered, she was allowed to go into the back area to wait. Other people were coming in and going through the doorways to get to the seating which had been pulled out of hiding; those stretchy honey curtains were even gone. Not that they were really sticky, but casual visitors might not realize that.

As she was switching from her snow boots to sparkly white shoes with short heels, the door to the meeting room she was in was knocked on. “Excuse me, but may I come in for a moment Hilda?” It was Burgh.

“Sure, no problem,” she said.

He came in, today dressed in green vertical-striped pants, a solid green shirt, and a pink scarf. On his belt, there was a colorful butterfly-shaped buckle. “I don’t mean to bug you, but there is something I wanted to do before the match,” he said. “I was thinking over your plan about being mythic in response to Plasma and there just seemed to be something missing. I had to work late a couple of nights to get the design and crafting right, but here Kyurem, I would like you to have this, if you want it.” He handed him a black jewelry box, a flat one that was as big as his hand.

Not revealing his thoughts on this just yet, Kyurem opened the box up and pulled a necklace out of it. It had just a simple leather cord on it, with an equally simple pendant. But still, it was intriguing: a large stone circle that was just the outline. Half of it was white and half of it was black. That was all there was to it.

“This would be the proper form,” Kyurem said. “A circle encompassing nothing, all possibility.”

Burgh put a hand to his chest, looking relived that it was being taken well so far. “I had to double check with Drayden, as he knows more about dragons and legends,” he said. “There didn’t seem to be a counterpart for you.”

Kyurem shrugged. “There wasn’t one made. The people were afraid of me.” Then he went over to Hilda and put the necklace over her head. “It is not quite right, only a symbol now. But wear it for today, for the appearance of it. I’ll handle the rest later. Thank you, Burgh.”

“You’re welcome,” he said, smiling. “I’ll be leaving you to your last minute preparations then. I’ve got mine to attend to as well. Let’s put on a good show, right?”

“Ain’t no other way I’d do it,” Hilda agreed. Once he was gone and the door shut again, she touched the pendant. It was only a symbol now, yet it still felt special. “So does this mean I’m your chosen villain or whatever?”

Kyurem smirked at that. “If you mean to disrupt the progress of the heroes of the twins, that is a strong possibility.”

-+-

evening, 1/18

Few people came down this narrow street, so Giallo leaned against the brick wall and felt secure in talking on the phone. “Well he is young and Ghetsis knows better about managing a large group. It’s only natural that he leads when N is elsewhere.”

“Yes, but I’m afraid that he’s overstepping his boundaries,” Rood said, from where he was back in the castle. “How much is N aware of what the rest of the group is doing? Have you spoken to him ever since he left to join the League? I have and he’s clearly not happy about the enforced release program.”

“On the phone, but not for long. Are you sure Ghetsis is hiding things from him? We don’t know entirely what goes on between them, but they are close.”

“I didn’t think to ask about what N knows while he was with me, but I’m almost certain that Ghetsis is hiding things from us at least. He never entirely answers if N is his son or not, for one thing, and he keeps on Dr. Umber when I at least don’t have a clue what that scientist is up to. I believe in N’s authority, but I can’t say the same for Ghetsis.”

“N trusts him.”

“And that has me worried.” He sighed.

“Is something the matter?”

There was a pause before Rood said, “Sorry, I just don’t like how things are playing out recently. It reminds me of things… I don’t want to get caught in the same mistakes I’ve made before.”

“What’s wrong with things? We have been encountering unexpected difficulties, but nothing serious as far as I know.”

“Do you know everything?” he asked, a touch sarcastic. Then he caught that. “Sorry. Isn’t there something, you know, suspicious about all this? I want to believe in it, but these things are fitting in almost too neatly. Like how it turns out that N does have a twin and that he is after the other dragon, and then my daughter turns out to have the third.”

He glanced over at some pedestrians, but they were involved in their own conversation. “We suspected that he would have a twin, given how well he fit the mythical archetype.”

“And Hilbert fits the archetype well too, almost perfect as the case is with N. I know we use the imagery purposely, and you can’t control a child’s development exactly but… it’s just too perfect and I’ve been in a situation where things seemed perfect only to be rotted at the core. How well does Hilda fit into this all?”

“I honestly don’t know,” Giallo admitted. “Kyurem’s acting against his established role, at least it looks that way. I know what to look for in Reshiram and Zekrom’s partners but I don’t know about a partner for Kyurem. But that is partly why I’m here, to see her in action myself. And fate does have a funny way of working just right when people don’t expect it.”

“Maybe fate does, but I don't think fate is entirely at fault here. Are you going to try to convince Hilbert to work with us or what?”

“That could be hard, but I'll see what I can do. Why're you so worried about Ghetsis? He works harder than any of the rest of us at times.”

“He and N argued a while ago. I didn't see the entirety of it, but ever since then, I've noticed that Ghetsis is taking quite a lot of control in things. About the only thing that's really come from N lately was that stance that young children are not ready to be Pokemon Trainers, and he didn't make any statements on what to do about it. It was Ghetsis who suggested slanting the enforced release and further statements towards child Trainers.”

Arguing? That was worrisome. N was their leader, but Ghetsis handled many of the day to day matters. Plasma couldn't afford a split at that high of a level. “They trust each other, but friction between them will cause issues.”

“If it came down to it, whose side would you be on?”

“N's, of course,” Giallo said, with hardly a thought. “That shouldn't happen...”

“But it could. Watch how things go in the next few weeks and you might see what I'm talking about. I'm going to be talking with the others and looking into things, but please don't mention this to Ghetsis.”

“We're a group; we shouldn't be keeping secrets from each other and doing this.”

“It may already be happening,” Rood said, concerned. “I feel that I can trust you, so I'll keep you informed.” The conversation ended not long after that. Now there was that match at the Gym to watch.
    Last edited by Ysavvryl; 25th April 2012 at 4:27 AM.

Okay, finally got the last chapter read as well as the new one. They are naturally awesome, just like every other chapter. They are quite worrisome, however. The imminent conflict between N and Hilbert, as well as Hilda's death, still wear on my nerves.

Having Hilda be silent for a chapter was very interesting, I must say. Though not as interesting as Banshee going on a murderous rampage and getting half her arm bitten off. Can't exactly say I feel sorry for her, but I was genuinely worried that Kyurem was going to go too far and get into trouble. I'm also quite curious about the possibility of a schism of Team Plasma between N, Ghetsis, and their supporters. While N's innocence is obviously what brings so many to Team Plasma, and while there are undoubtedly other logical fellows in Plasma than just Rood and Giallo, I'm sure Ghetsis has a wide sphere of influence as well. And what would happen if Ghetsis were able to get to Hilbert and turn him against N? This is worrisome indeed.

Kyurem's still by far my favorite character in every sense. He's mysterious and aloof, yet sweet (I still love the relationship between him and Mimi). He's also the one who I'm most worried about. There's obviously something that he's keeping from the others about his past and the potential future. There's something dark about him, much of a hero is he is, and I'm worried that if he were to snap at the wrong time, things could get ugly beyond repair. I both await and dread the day when the three reach Dragonspiral Tower . . .

Author's Profile

A very interesting chapter. I'm intrigued by the fact that the Seven Sages suspect something rotten so soon, but it makes sense. Also, the beginnings of a hazy picture of what will happen in the next chapter are forming in my mind, though I won't comment since they are kinda weird. You'd likely out-weird it if I posted, so I'll see.
    Why do n00bs exist? Find out by pressing Ctrl+W!

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one386
    I'd squeak, too, and I'm merely a year older than she is. Hey, and 18 year olds squeal, too. :P I know I do.

Eighteen year olds actually squeal in USA. IT'S A CONSPIRACY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD USING SQUEALS OF EIGHTEEN YEAR OLDS!

Credits to Gladeshadow!

[IMG]http://i46.*******.com/mmxlg.png[/IMG]
    Exploting the AI like never before!

My OT fanfic: Fighting The Shadows

It's AAALIIIIVE!!!! *thunder*

Wait, is Hilda's death the vision or in the second part of the chapter? You confused me...

And while the Sages may suspect something is up with Dr. Umber, we know it's     Spoiler:- ...:
    Last edited by scizorstrike; 24th April 2012 at 4:51 PM.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast