Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Misc + Account Security

Default Misc + Account Security

Hi all, just figured I'd clarify the current issues going around

For the time being, we've had to close the "General Chat" and "What Are You Listening To?" threads in the misc section due to an inordinate amount of spam and off-topicness based upon the complete and utter spam/trolling being perpetuated by some certain users. Please bear with us in regards to this as we're trying to resolve the situation. However, do note that rule breaking isn't allowed here and we will enforce the rules if they are broken regardless of the situation.

Next, we've noticed a few instances of people's accounts getting compromised. Please make sure your passwords are secure and not guessable. If your account gets compromised and does something ban worthy, your account will get banned.

Thanks guys, hope you have a great day

Thanks for the clarification, Joe, regarding all the Misc hubbub. It's been kind of annoying being left in the dark, so to speak, regarding everything, so thanks for clearing things up, albeit partially.

I'm glad you, and the Misc. Staff, got this trolling incident under control. Thank you!

Guess now I have to make my password more complicated. =\

Mahou Shoujou Megumi Magica

What on Earth is the problem with simply instating a new chat thread immediately? Even if the previous one was filled with too much spam for the staff to clean up, what's the hold up on creating version two?

Because the situation has yet to be resolved and it'll just occur again.

I ask for your patience

I just hope it's being put off because of the possibility of actual spam/another outbreak, rather than people simply discussing said spam/previous outbreaks, etc.

It's certainly one of the more popular and relatively harmless features of Miscellaneous Discussion.

On account of the idiots (Me and a few others) who got the the chat thread closed, we're sorry. I didn't actually know we were doing anything against the rules. I thought we were discussing something. Granted, things got a little out of hand, but it's not like we wanted what Neo did to happen. We thought he was just going to post a thread or something. And keep in mind that it's very easy to lapse into childishness with anticipation and the like.

TL;DR Sorry. :I

I believe I said this before in the worst section thread, but how the hell did the "What are you listening to" had off-topic chat if they still posted songs? It didn't even had a topic, god forbid if friends want to talk.

And don't tell me that chatting while posting songs is not allowed, because if they still posted songs, it still shouldn't be counted as spam.
    Last edited by Josef Stylin; 1st August 2011 at 12:43 PM.

If, for example, you made a post in Anime Discussion's thread for an upcoming episode, posting about the episode briefly and then chatting about something else...that would be classed as spam.

The What Are You Listening To thread is for one thing only, not for general chat

good luck serebii as i have no idea whats going on XD
    CENSORED BY SOPA

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    The What Are You Listening To thread is for one thing only, not for general chat
    Posting songs was the entire point and if they add in extra words, it should be allowed because there wasn't a rule against that in the original thread! You just expect people to do nothing more than post songs and doing nothing else as if they were mindless song-listening drones?
    Last edited by Josef Stylin; 1st August 2011 at 1:25 PM.

I am going to echo Innocent Bystander's apology. We (the chat thread crowd) did indeed contribute a lot to the panic that was going on. We did not realize it was wrong, because said panic was quarantined to only one thread before it was deleted and spilled out everywhere.

That being said, I believe deleting the chat thread was a terrible idea. No, I am not being like the rest of the butthurt people whining about losing it. My reason for saying this is that if the thread had been simply closed with a brief "too spammy" message rather than deleted, people would have panicked far less (since no one would have taken it to mean that the site had been hacked.)

Additionally, I would like to comment on the closing of the "What are you Listening to" thread. How is posting an off-topic line along with a music track name any more spammy than a music track by itself? It actually encourages discussion, since why on earth would anyone else bother reading the posts there anyway? It would just be a bunch of people posting pointlessly to themselves for no one else to read. I understand the example about Anime discussion, because that is actually a discussion thread, and no one wants to have to sift through on-topic and off-topic content.

But in a thread in which there is no discussion otherwise, how is this so wrong? This seems to me like heading toward a rule where otherwise legitimate posts can be infracted merely for containing an off-topic sentence. What if someone participates in a discussion, but then offers an off-topic reply to someone else's quote at the end of their post? So long as the off-topic content is not large, absurd, or obtrusive, and can be easily ignored by those to whom it does not apply, I don't see why it is so wrong.

I am not trying to stir up trouble, or encourage breaking the rules or arguing with the mods just for doing their job. I simply wish to bring up some of my concerns in a civil manner. Thank you.

~Chibi~

Ever wondered what would happen if humans had the power to overthrow the Legendaries? To either use them for their own ends, or eliminate them altogether? One thing is for certain...the balance between human and Legendary is unstable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    8/30/12: CHAPTER 7: “Into the Fire” POSTED!!!
    Chapter 8 progress: 9/12 pages

Well this clarify's things for me.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122
    Dark Pit isn't that bad of an inclusion, you'll get over it trust me.

I am inclined to agree with what the others have said here (in regards to the What Are You Listening To? Thread). A large majority of the "off topic" discussion was either related the the music (whether asking for recommendations, or commenting on a specific aspect of the song you were listening to) or general brief remarks between a few of the regulars (basic greetings etc). That said, most of the time it was just people posting songs (with a little bit of healthy competition to keep the thread interesting).

As most of this "spam" actually added to the depth of the topic, I am not entirely sure how detrimental it was to the overall nature of the thread, which, in its most basic form, was rather shallow in terms of content. Add to that that it was in a section that provided no post count increase (as if post count mattered) and is generally full of shallow topics anyway, it does not seem all that bad.

None of this has anything to do with the General Chat Thread, I am going to stay completely away from that one...

FC: 1418 5825 9522

Quote Originally Posted by hobby View Post
    I am inclined to agree with what the others have said here (in regards to the What Are You Listening To? Thread). A large majority of the "off topic" discussion was either related the the music (whether asking for recommendations, or commenting on a specific aspect of the song you were listening to) or general brief remarks between a few of the regulars (basic greetings etc). That said, most of the time it was just people posting songs (with a little bit of healthy competition to keep the thread interesting).

As most of this "spam" actually added to the depth of the topic, I am not entirely sure how detrimental it was to the overall nature of the thread, which, in its most basic form, was rather shallow in terms of content. Add to that that it was in a section that provided no post count increase (as if post count mattered) and is generally full of shallow topics anyway, it does not seem all that bad.
    I completely agree with this. The reasons behind the closing of the What Are You Listening To? thread are absolutely stupid and unnecessary.

I'm a rather lovable individual

Quote Originally Posted by Innocent Bystander View Post
    On account of the idiots (Me and a few others) who got the the chat thread closed, we're sorry. I didn't actually know we were doing anything against the rules. I thought we were discussing something. Granted, things got a little out of hand, but it's not like we wanted what Neo did to happen. We thought he was just going to post a thread or something. And keep in mind that it's very easy to lapse into childishness with anticipation and the like.

TL;DR Sorry. :I
    Me too, apologies to the users and mods of SPPf for contributing. At any rate, though, it's good to see that it's under control.

I also apologize for contributing to the spam. We were all acting very childish, and that's why the chat thread is closed.

*changes password*
    gone.

If you guys accutally looked at the new WAYLTT? you would see that the members were talking about infractions and posting "Ban me", "Might as well do it now" and "Who the **** cares", and just b/tchin' the whole thread. Since they were basiclly the only people who posted in the thread anyways, it was closed. Stop whinning about things you can't change.

Quote Originally Posted by jb08045 View Post
    If you guys accutally looked at the new WAYLTT? you would see that the members were talking about infractions and posting "Ban me", "Might as well do it now" and "Who the **** cares", and just b/tchin' the whole thread. Since they were basiclly the only people who posted in the thread anyways, it was closed. Stop whinning about things you can't change.
    Emphasis on new. They were probably pissed off at the sudden draconian, anti-community stance being taken. In fact I know they were, because I actually talk to these people.

Really, this whole cluster**** (and there is no other word for it) could have been prevented easily... by having a larger moderation team working on Misc. Also by allowing WAYLT to have light conversation in the background. Otherwise, isn't a WAYLT thread just a moderator-sponsored spam thread?

Though I am sorry for contributing to Misc. generally being a generic digital hell hole.

You are aware that that was a direct reaction to the fact that they were being infracted for doing something that most of them had done for years in the exact same thread? Their reaction is why people like myself are trying to get the matter cleared up, or at least more thoroughly explained.

FC: 1418 5825 9522

dear god people are acting like neo is some sort of a trolling god and oh my it is making me giggle inside. he may be one of the least original "trolls" (if he even deserves that title) that i've ever seen.

i'll be awaiting the reopening of the chat thread.

To be fair, though, that was because of the ridiculous rule that nobody should post anything other than the song they're listening to.

Truth is, there really wasn't any harm in the small talk that went on in that thread because there was really never a post that didn't contain what they were listening to. In addition, those posts didn't count towards postcount. I'm sorry, but making that rule was lame. The thread was inherently boring (because let's face it, who the hell cares what you're listening to), and the rule just encouraged being a boring drone. Frankly, of all the places around here where mods could tighten their reins, that was the last place to do it.

Really, Misc. had been a time bomb for years, with certain users a few years ago starting the "troll" craze. While these users were funny and interesting, they created a culture in the forum where every user thinks that he/she is hilarious and people jump at every chance to make a joke. Every so often a really classy funnyman would emerge, but the "culture" was so instilled that even newer users would come to Misc. to "mess around."

So wherever these wannabe funnymen see an opportunity to present themselves as absolutely hilarious, they do. Think back to the puberty thread, various incarnations of the picture thread, etc. The culture which once made Misc. one of my favorite places on the internet began to ruin everything about Misc.

Thanks so much for trying to fix this problem. You have my patience. Good luck!

Notice it says most people like me.

No you may not have my autograph.

Spoiler:- Credits:

73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this in your signature.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast