Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 119

Thread: Regarding "Image Macros"

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,528

    Default

    Ew, buzz kill..

    Seriously, if a post is created for the sole reason of posting an unrelated gif, then that's fair enough, but when its accompanied by text relating to the topic at hand then I dont see what the problem is.. The gifs I see over in Anime Spoilers are generally used to express opinion or show feeling, which through plain text, is often difficult to do.

    I don't personally post them, but they often help when someone's trying to use sarcasm or another emotion that's difficult to express on a forum. They also add a little something to the otherwise boring plain text conversation that's going on. I feel like taking that away is like taking away a persons right to express themselves on this forum and all you're doing is attempting to turn those people into robots, taking any fun that flares up and distinguishing it.. simply so you don't have to see it.

    I mean, its a Pokemon forum, the majority of people coming to it are likely to be young and enjoy a bit of fun.. but you take that away? Yeesh..

    /mytwocents..

    For the record, I would have included an image of family guys Buzz Killington in this post if that right wasn't being taken away.
    OR Playthrough - Route 118

    This won't change often.. I play through the games slowly..

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    2,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poke_Cannon View Post
    its amazing that a member your age really can't understand this. unless by an act of trolling, you're just playing random debater.

    if you feel the need to spam your own legitimate post with a random image un-related to the thread..

    you're doing it wrong.
    So incredulously questioning the logic behind a rule means I can't understand it? I was trying to get confirmation because the concept of a post being infracted for not being spam, yet containing something that would be spam by itself, seems rather like the equivalent of someone getting infracted because half of their post was off-topic.

    But hey, whatever it takes to get people to stop posting as if they were on 4chan, I guess. *shrug*
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyCharyZard View Post
    Seriously, if a post is created for the sole reason of posting an unrelated gif, then that's fair enough, but when its accompanied by text relating to the topic at hand then I dont see what the problem is.. The gifs I see over in Anime Spoilers are generally used to express opinion or show feeling, which through plain text, is often difficult to do.
    Now THIS is the sentiment I was trying to express.

    ~Chibi~
    Last edited by Chibi Pika; 15th July 2011 at 1:53 PM.


    Ever wondered what would happen if humans had the power to overthrow the Legendaries? To either use them for their own ends, or eliminate them altogether? One thing is for certain...the balance between human and Legendary is unstable.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    8/30/12: CHAPTER 7: “Into the Fire” POSTED!!!
    Chapter 8 progress: 9/12 pages


  3. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Where I don't know where I am
    Posts
    1,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyCharyZard View Post
    Ew, buzz kill..

    Seriously, if a post is created for the sole reason of posting an unrelated gif, then that's fair enough, but when its accompanied by text relating to the topic at hand then I dont see what the problem is.. The gifs I see over in Anime Spoilers are generally used to express opinion or show feeling, which through plain text, is often difficult to do.

    I don't personally post them, but they often help when someone's trying to use sarcasm or another emotion that's difficult to express on a forum. They also add a little something to the otherwise boring plain text conversation that's going on. I feel like taking that away is like taking away a persons right to express themselves on this forum and all you're doing is attempting to turn those people into robots, taking any fun that flares up and distinguishing it.. simply so you don't have to see it.

    I mean, its a Pokemon forum, the majority of people coming to it are likely to be young and enjoy a bit of fun.. but you take that away? Yeesh..

    /mytwocents..

    For the record, I would have included an image of family guys Buzz Killington in this post if that right wasn't being taken away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chibi Pika View Post
    So incredulously questioning the logic behind a rule means I can't understand it? I was trying to get confirmation because the concept of a post being infracted for not being spam, yet containing something that would be spam by itself, seems rather like the equivalent of someone getting infracted because half of their post was off-topic.

    But hey, whatever it takes to get people to stop posting as if they were on 4chan, I guess. *shrug*

    Now THIS is the sentiment I was trying to express.

    ~Chibi~
    And again I say, if people had any kind of self control, then the image macros (the irrelevant ones) wouldn't be such a problem and against the rules. Unfortunately that is not the case. And if you really need to express your opinion or show feeling that badly, then use the smilies that are provided. They are more than adequate enough. Or you could be clever and play with the fonts/colors/sizes of the text. There are other ways to go about it. Irrelevant image macros aren't the only answer.

    And if you truly get bored reading forum discussion, then maybe you shouldn't be on the forum in the first place.
    MY FIRST EVER RANDOM SHINY!: (4/15/2011)


    If you add me P/VM me.





        Spoiler:- CREDITS:

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Beyond the Wall.
    Posts
    2,012

    Default

    It just feels like a way to stop fun. It's like stopping all teasing in a school to prevent bullying.
    THIS DAY IS GOING TO BE PERFECT
    Because love's in bloom~

    "After all this time?"
    "Always", said Snape.

    Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, Nobel Laureate

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Where I don't know where I am
    Posts
    1,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rangeet View Post
    It just feels like a way to stop fun. It's like stopping all teasing in a school to prevent bullying.
    As I said, you can have fun without resorting to irrelevant image macros. They're not the only answer.

    Besides, having civil discussions about the topics (with some slight joking thrown in), to many, is more enjoyable than scrolling through walls of spam.
    MY FIRST EVER RANDOM SHINY!: (4/15/2011)


    If you add me P/VM me.





        Spoiler:- CREDITS:

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    ⁂⁂⁂⁂
    Posts
    441

    Default

    OK, I've seen why people like this: BUT IT IS NOT A GOOD THING!
    Claims: Mario, The Big Bang Theory, Victini

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,528

    Default

    I just think banning them completely is a ridiculous idea.. People express themselves in different ways and if you're running a forum then you should expect that.

    It's just a bit of fun, its not harming anyone.. I look at them and they make me smile; I sometimes even let out a little chuckle if they're good ones, because I have a sense of humour.
    Last edited by ShinyCharyZard; 15th July 2011 at 7:14 PM.
    OR Playthrough - Route 118

    This won't change often.. I play through the games slowly..

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Where I don't know where I am
    Posts
    1,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyCharyZard View Post
    I just think banning them completely is a ridiculous idea.. People express themselves in different ways and if you're running a forum then you should expect that.

    It's just a bit of fun, its not harming anyone.. I look at them and they make me smile; I sometimes even let out a little chuckle if they're good ones, because my sense of humor is a little off.
    Fixed.

    It's fun and games until you find yourself scrolling through a wall of them (or pages) to find relevant conversation, then it's annoying as hell.

    And let's not forget that having that many image macros on one page makes it a pain to load. So it does hurt others, just not in the emotional or physical sense (at least not always).

    It can be fun if done in moderation, but that concept is foreign to many on here. Best to ban it before it gets out of hand.
    MY FIRST EVER RANDOM SHINY!: (4/15/2011)


    If you add me P/VM me.





        Spoiler:- CREDITS:

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,528

    Default

    Eh, everyone's sense of humour is different, doesn't mean mines 'off'..

    Its not like i'll miss them that much. I just disagree with that right being taken away from people. Just infracting the people who abuse it to a stupid extent makes a heck of a lot more sense than stopping the people who just enjoy the odd laugh.
    OR Playthrough - Route 118

    This won't change often.. I play through the games slowly..

  10. #60
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lysandre's bed.
    Posts
    48,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DBK View Post
    And if you really need to express your opinion or show feeling that badly, then use the smilies that are provided.
    There are only so many smilies available, though. Most of them are just Pokemon icons anyway, which can also be irrelevant if they're used without moderation.

    Quote Originally Posted by DBK View Post
    Fixed.
    Editing someone else's post just because you disagree with what that person typed should be banned as well. It is irrelevant, after all.

    And let's not forget that having that many image macros on one page makes it a pain to load. So it does hurt others, just not in the emotional or physical sense (at least not always).
    It is annoying when you have to scroll through a page full of gifs, but most of the people who were posting gifs in the Anime Spoilers section were using spoiler tags so that the images didn't take up space.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Where I don't know where I am
    Posts
    1,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyCharyZard View Post
    Eh, everyone's sense of humour is different, doesn't mean mines 'off'..

    Its not like i'll miss them that much. I just disagree with that right being taken away from people. Just infracting the people who abuse it to a stupid extent makes a heck of a lot more sense than stopping the people who just enjoy the odd laugh.
    lol I wasn't being serious about that. I can see were you're coming from, though. Still, preventing the worst rather than reacting to it is always the better option.

    Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post
    There are only so many smilies available, though. Most of them are just Pokemon icons anyway, which can also be irrelevant if they're used without moderation.

    Editing someone else's post just because you disagree with what that person typed should be banned as well. It is irrelevant, after all.

    It is annoying when you have to scroll through a page full of gifs, but most of the people who were posting gifs in the Anime Spoilers section were using spoiler tags so that the images didn't take up space.
    I meant the actual smilies, not the pokemon ones. There are enough to serve the purpose.

    See above. I wasn't being serious, hence the smilie (see how well they work?).

    Yeah but not everyone shows that courtesy. Like I said, better to prevent than react.
    MY FIRST EVER RANDOM SHINY!: (4/15/2011)


    If you add me P/VM me.





        Spoiler:- CREDITS:

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,528

    Default

    The thing is, I don't actually see many people going overboard with them anyway. There's like one person in Anime Spoilers who over-uses them and that's only because they've just started to use them. The novelty will wear off soon enough.. and like KIRA said, they're spoiler tagged more often than not anyway.

    Smilies can be misleading.. a simple could not only be happy, but also smug. Plus they make me feel like i'm in a chat room instead of on a forum, so I dislike using them. I'd much rather use the odd gif if anything, which is the thing being made out to be some huge problem.

    Heck, I see some people ending their post with multiple Pokemon smilies for no particular reason, which I find more irritating than the topic at hand, since the gifs generally have a reasoning behind them.
    Last edited by ShinyCharyZard; 15th July 2011 at 7:40 PM.
    OR Playthrough - Route 118

    This won't change often.. I play through the games slowly..

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DBK View Post
    And again I say, if people had any kind of self control, then the image macros (the irrelevant ones) wouldn't be such a problem and against the rules.
    I'm still not seeing the problem.

    I mean really if it was limited to one expressive gif (as a response to an overall post or something someone says), so long as the rest of the post was on-topic, I don't see the harm in the "image macros" if that's the case.

    You say people would go overboard but if the rule was stated as "Only one 'expressive' gif may be used so long as the rest of your post is relevant to the topic at hand" =/= (does not equal) "HOLY CRAP, YOU CAN POST WALLS OF GIFS REGARDLESS OF THE TOPIC AT HAND, YEE HAW."


    That's why I have a problem with the "no self control" counter argument. Rules are rules, if people would break the "only one expressive gif" rule then they're sure to break the "NO OFF-TOPIC GIFS ARE ALLOWED AT ALL" rule. So claiming that there's no leeway is to prevent people from over-indulging, is pretty much like asking an average strength man from stopping a train going 90 miles an hour.

    There are people who don't care. And if they actually did care, then they they wouldn't over indulge in expressive gifs if the rule stated "only one may be used per post so long as the rest of the post is relevant to the topic at hand." Even put a guideline how they must be in spoiler tags too or something. So like I said if they care enough to not post any GIFS, then they should care enough NOT to over-indulge when the rule says "Only one is allowed."
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Where I don't know where I am
    Posts
    1,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyCharyZard View Post
    The thing is, I don't actually see many people going overboard with them anyway. There's like one person in Anime Spoilers who over-uses them and that's only because they've just started to use them. The novelty will wear off soon enough.. and like KIRA said, they're spoiler tagged more often than not anyway.

    Smilies can be misleading.. a simple could not only be happy, but also smug. Plus they make me feel like i'm in a chat room instead of on a forum, so I dislike using them. I'd much rather use the odd gif if anything, which is the thing being made out to be some huge problem.

    Heck, I see some people ending their post with multiple Pokemon smilies for no particular reason, which I find more irritating than the topic at hand, since the gifs generally have a reasoning behind them.
    Just because one section shows some self control doesn't mean all of them will. Better to prevent what could be then to react to what is. It makes it easier on the mods and posters alike.

    They can be if they're not used properly (for lack of a better word). Is it really that hard to be a little creative? Or is it impossible to rely on anything other than irrelevant image macros?

    Seriously? The pokemon smilies are way less annoying than the image macros (of course I could just have gotten used to them). Not to mention the smilies are easier on the eyes and a lot less obstructive than the image macros.

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    I'm still not seeing the problem.

    I mean really if it was limited to one expressive gif (as a response to an overall post or something someone says), so long as the rest of the post was on-topic, I don't see the harm in the "image macros" if that's the case.

    You say people would go overboard but if the rule was stated as "Only one 'expressive' gif may be used so long as the rest of your post is relevant to the topic at hand" =/= (does not equal) "HOLY CRAP, YOU CAN POST WALLS OF GIFS REGARDLESS OF THE TOPIC AT HAND, YEE HAW."


    That's why I have a problem with the "no self control" counter argument. Rules are rules, if people would break the "only one expressive gif" rule then they're sure to break the "NO OFF-TOPIC GIFS ARE ALLOWED AT ALL" rule. So claiming that there's no leeway is to prevent people from over-indulging, is pretty much like asking an average strength man from stopping a train going 90 miles an hour.

    There are people who don't care. And if they actually did care, then they they wouldn't over indulge in expressive gifs if the rule stated "only one may be used per post so long as the rest of the post is relevant to the topic at hand." Even put a guideline how they must be in spoiler tags too or something. So like I said if they care enough to not post any GIFS, then they should care enough NOT to over-indulge when the rule says "Only one is allowed."
    That's the thing. Making it against the rules makes it easier to mod. Not to mention that you give the posters on here way to much credit. Overindulgence would happen regardless of what the rule is. At least this way it is easier and more efficient to mod. Plus there are other, rule friendly alternatives.

    You're not seeing the bigger picture. The potential and possibility for overindulgence is not a risk the mods are willing to take. It's more detracting and annoying to them then it would ever be to us. You need to take that into consideration too.
    MY FIRST EVER RANDOM SHINY!: (4/15/2011)


    If you add me P/VM me.





        Spoiler:- CREDITS:

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,775

    Default

    I think it's a ridiculous rule. I would understand if you could post only one per post hidden in a spoiler tag, but banning everything seems like wanting your members to be brick walls on a forum. This forum is already has the crappiest smilies ever and I don't even care about using them.

    I agree, I was probably the one that started it all but sans some members, or maybe one it wasn't really going overboard.

    From my experience being an administrator for a year in another pokemon forum, the more you cut the ways the members can express themselves, the less fun they'll have, the less they'll post.

    I'd understand if the usage of gifs was limited but getting rid of them completely seems exaggerated.

    You can't post gifs, you don't have good smilies, what else is going to be banned? Words?

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Serebiiforums
    Posts
    32

    Default

    If these images weren't so abused in the first place, we would not have needed to make a rule preventing them, so you can thank those who abused them for this rule.

    Besides that, almost all instances of image macros, apart from immediately showing off that you are a massive unfunny tryhard, already broke the rules either by spamming or insulting other users. If you truly cannot express yourself without using some moronic, overused image, maybe you need to go back to English class.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,528

    Default

    I personally don't see these 'image macros' GIFS, as that much of a problem really.. but I guess if you guys want to make a big deal out of a few pictures then we as users will just have to put up with more pointless rules coming our way.

    To be honest, you are blowing things completely out of proportion, because seriously its only a few pictures.. and really, you need to remember that the majority of users on a Pokemon Forum are NOT fully matured, so this sort of stuff will keep them entertained, so they keep coming back to a forum which they can have a laugh on, as well as talk about their favourite game/anime.. They are less likely to use a forum where the mods try to control them as mindless drones.

    Waits for the obligatory 'If you don't like the rules then leave' post.. But instead of waiting, i'll answer it now. I like discussing the anime even though I find some rules ridiculous. Not everyone is going to agree with all the rules.
    OR Playthrough - Route 118

    This won't change often.. I play through the games slowly..

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bournemouth, England
    Posts
    16,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyCharyZard View Post
    I personally don't see these 'image macros' GIFS, as that much of a problem really.. but I guess if you guys want to make a big deal out of a few pictures then we as users will just have to put up with more pointless rules coming our way.

    To be honest, you are blowing things completely out of proportion, because seriously its only a few pictures.. and really, you need to remember that the majority of users on a Pokemon Forum are NOT fully matured, so this sort of stuff will keep them entertained, so they keep coming back to a forum which they can have a laugh on, as well as talk about their favourite game/anime.. They are less likely to use a forum where the mods try to control them as mindless drones.

    Waits for the obligatory 'If you don't like the rules then leave' post.. But instead of waiting, i'll answer it now. I like discussing the anime even though I find some rules ridiculous. Not everyone is going to agree with all the rules.
    I saw some posts with over 5 of the images in it...this was in Anime Spoilers. It crossed the line

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    I saw some posts with over 5 of the images in it...this was in Anime Spoilers. It crossed the line
    Shocking.

    I suppose it would be overcomplicating things to just apply this ban to individuals who are abusing them?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxEpicsxX View Post
    Everything's possible, but that doesn't make it likely.
    ^What PAD needs to learn

        Spoiler:- Misc in a nutshell:

  20. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    I saw some posts with over 5 of the images in it...this was in Anime Spoilers. It crossed the line
    Yeah, I'm glad this has been reigned-in.

    Some, who shall remain nameless to protect the innocent, were -ImageSpamming with a capital S, all over the spoilers section.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Where I don't know where I am
    Posts
    1,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elekible-Kid View Post
    Yeah, I'm glad this has been reigned-in.

    Some, who shall remain nameless to protect the innocent, were -ImageSpamming with a capital S, all over the spoilers section.
    Glad to know that there are some sane reasonable folk out there who understand the logicality (and necessity) of this rule.

    If the aforementioned unnamed were image-spamming (with a capital S), then they are not quite that innocent, are they?
    MY FIRST EVER RANDOM SHINY!: (4/15/2011)


    If you add me P/VM me.





        Spoiler:- CREDITS:

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,223

    Default

    Thank god you are actually making these gifs SPAM. Now I can actually read the previous pages, without being bombarded with stupid GIFS.

    And figure that out, it's Anime Spoilers. S-H-O-C-K-E-R-!

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    I saw some posts with over 5 of the images in it...this was in Anime Spoilers. It crossed the line
    I'm pretty sure I know which posts you mean and i'm also pretty sure that I, along with the other users, could name the person quite easily too.. but then couldn't the person in question have simply received their infractions without it affecting the users who use them responsibly without going OTT, just to add a little something fun to the post?
    OR Playthrough - Route 118

    This won't change often.. I play through the games slowly..

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Up and down and all around
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    I saw some posts with over 5 of the images in it...this was in Anime Spoilers. It crossed the line
    Public: WHAT A TWIST!


    Anyway, I guess you have a point, some of the people at anime spoilers have been using gifs like crazy but even though a part of me agrees with Dax just a limit would be less exaggerated, I guess I'll just have to obey the rules.
    Last edited by Josef Stylin; 18th July 2011 at 8:10 PM.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    ⁂⁂⁂⁂
    Posts
    441

    Default

    Could we do like the sig strike system for this?
    Claims: Mario, The Big Bang Theory, Victini

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •