Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Regarding "Image Macros"

we were allowed to do that before?! yike less than a week left i better do that before the infraction sets in.

Not!

i find it funny that people need to be told things like this.

Black FC: 0905 8203 0859

This wasnt a rule before? I tought image spam was always considered spam?

Quote Originally Posted by Arceus-sama View Post
    This wasnt a rule before? I tought image spam was always considered spam?
    Yes, but this may not be considered spam in some ways, because they might of just posted a picture of the number 3, and then it will say some weird thing at the bottom.

Pokemon X Round 2

So can we post links to the macro instead, or will that fall under this "new" rule as well?
    I have created a new word for the internet LOLE it means laugh out loud evily, if you think it is a good word copy and paste this into your sig. and use it. (started by woot21)
    I am the prince of all noobs. I am the dreaded super noob, fear my noobiness. I obey only my lord and master the king of all noobs, Magikarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazios View Post
    And isn't Magikarp's Final Smash obvious? It's called:
        Spoiler:- Best move ever.:
    3DS FC: 2423-2730-4422
    Dream Address: 4500-3343-5150

if it's not on topic then posting a link instead of an image doesn't make it any better, you will still get warned/infracted for it.

and btw this was always technically a rule, it's just that it's become so common lately that we decided to make an announcement to remind people that it's stupid, annoying, and not funny, and that you can get in trouble for doing it.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

The evilness of image macros shall be stopped!
    Claims: Mario, The Big Bang Theory, Victini

Just wondering, is this rule aimed at those who post the image, and nothing else? If so, what are the rules on posting an image as well as text relevant to the topic?

Quote Originally Posted by Innocent Bystander View Post
    Just wondering, is this rule aimed at those who post the image, and nothing else? If so, what are the rules on posting an image as well as text relevant to the topic?
    Asking this as well.

The image would never be relevant even if there is text relevant to the topic so it counts

The last one seems stupid to me. We're on a forum to have some fun, at least let us post the image if we have a load of text to explain it. I get how just posting images is annoying, but for God's sake, this isn't exactly a court.
    THIS DAY IS GOING TO BE PERFECT
    Because love's in bloom~

"After all this time?"
    "Always", said Snape.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, Nobel Laureate

As I said, if the image is relevant to the post/topic, it's fine.

Not if it's included with some legit text but has no relevance whatsoever.

I haven't seen any of these yet, but I agree that such things are spam

I'm kinda iffy on this subject. I do classify the images as spam, but they are very entertaining. They're incredibly annoying when they're posted alone, without any text at all, but not so much when they're with a good paragraph of relevant text. But no matter what, they're still gonna be spam. I guess it is a good decision, taking everything into account.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedSuicune View Post
    I'm kinda iffy on this subject. I do classify the images as spam, but they are very entertaining.
    I really don't find the "haha I'm using an unrelated image to reply to your post isn't it witty" thing to be entertaining, but maybe I just don't go to 4chan enough/at all to "get" how hilarious it apparently is.

(says the smod whose current usertitle is just "heh")
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

For those people who don't know, Image Macros are this sort of thing:

Wait, wait.

So image macros are still spam, even if they are surrounded by legitimate post content? That seems kinds like the equivalent of a single non-sequitur line of silliness in an otherwise legit post being considered spam.

I mean I've never even posted one so this doesn't affect me, but still.

Ever wondered what would happen if humans had the power to overthrow the Legendaries? To either use them for their own ends, or eliminate them altogether? One thing is for certain...the balance between human and Legendary is unstable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    8/30/12: CHAPTER 7: “Into the Fire” POSTED!!!
    Chapter 8 progress: 9/12 pages

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi Pika View Post
    Wait, wait.

So image macros are still spam, even if they are surrounded by legitimate post content? That seems kinds like the equivalent of a single non-sequitur line of silliness in an otherwise legit post being considered spam.

*face palm*

If the image macro isn't relevant to the topic, regardless of the amount of legitimate post content around it, then it is spam.

Is this really a hard concept to understand, people? It feels like this is getting re-explained every 2 or 3 posts........smh.
    MY FIRST EVER RANDOM SHINY!: (4/15/2011)

If you add me P/VM me.

Spoiler:- CREDITS:

What if the gif/image isn't relevant to the topic but is relevant to someone's post, like quoting their post and putting a *facepalm* gif? or something like that

Then it's still off-topic and not allowed. No need to post a facepalm gif in response to someone's post in the thread.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current Article: From RSE to ORAS - what has improved? We look at aspects that changed for better or worse.
    Previous Article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

About the gifs thing, can I post a gif and also respond to the topic at hand, or no gifs at all?

Bonnie: Hey, Clauncher, could you do me a favour and marry my brother?
    Clauncher: What? I can understand the old man's senility, but this is just annoying.

Bonnie: Come on, Dedenne! I want that Gym Badge!
    Clauncher: If only this wasn't a kids show.
    3DS FC: 1891 1376 6990. Add me. Wii U Nintendo Network ID: Playerking.

Quote Originally Posted by playerking View Post
    About the gifs thing, can I post a gif and also respond to the topic at hand, or no gifs at all?
    You're welcome to post images if they're relevant to the post, but the current trend going on here shall not continue
    So there you go, only if the image is on the thread topic really and isn't 'lol this post is stupid *facepalm gif*' as already asked.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current Article: From RSE to ORAS - what has improved? We look at aspects that changed for better or worse.
    Previous Article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi Pika View Post
    Wait, wait.

its amazing that a member your age really can't understand this. unless by an act of trolling, you're just playing random debater.

if you feel the need to spam your own legitimate post with a random image un-related to the thread..

you're doing it wrong.

Although I understand how the gifs can be annoying, and this would never apply to me since I don't recall ever posting any annoying "SPAM" gifs, but I feel banning the gifs outright, takes away people's right to express themselves.

As we all know sarcasm is one of the hardest things to detect, because forums are largely text based, and it's hard to know what people are really trying to say, since text takes away the nuances that come with vocal speaking.

As in saying something has many different meanings depending on how you say it. But when typing the same sentence on the internet, the only way it has multiple meanings would have to depend on the context in which it is used and if people are intuitive to understand any secondary meanings.

So what it boils down to, is I don't think people post some of these gifs, to be annoying or trolls, or to be spammy, but to express themselves in a way that simple text cannot do that in of itself.

Like I pretty much I don't really care as it doesn't apply to me, and I don't care one way or the other, but just wanted to be the devil's advocate here. Since it seems some of you miss the point in these "spam" gifs that have been posted.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Although I understand how the gifs can be annoying, and this would never apply to me since I don't recall ever posting any annoying "SPAM" gifs, but I feel banning the gifs outright, takes away people's right to express themselves.

As we all know sarcasm is one of the hardest things to detect, because forums are largely text based, and it's hard to know what people are really trying to say, since text takes away the nuances that come with vocal speaking.

As in saying something has many different meanings depending on how you say it. But when typing the same sentence on the internet, the only way it has multiple meanings would have to depend on the context in which it is used and if people are intuitive to understand any secondary meanings.

So what it boils down to, is I don't think people post some of these gifs, to be annoying or trolls, or to be spammy, but to express themselves in a way that simple text cannot do that in of itself.

Like I pretty much I don't really care as it doesn't apply to me, and I don't care one way or the other, but just wanted to be the devil's advocate here. Since it seems some of you miss the point in these "spam" gifs that have been posted.
    As much as I agree, that would only work if the posters had any kind of self control, which unfortunately isn't the case (otherwise this thread wouldn't be necessary). If it was allowed, there's a high possibility of threads consisting of nothing but image macros (none of which being on topic) and thus nothing but spam.

In this case, the mods' decision/action is the most appropriate one.
    MY FIRST EVER RANDOM SHINY!: (4/15/2011)

If you add me P/VM me.

Spoiler:- CREDITS:

True. And I won't post an example for all those people again, as I'll prob soon get an infraction.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast