Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FRLG Help/FAQ Discussion Thread

Default FRLG Help/FAQ Discussion Thread

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: From RSE to ORAS - what has improved? We look at aspects that changed for better or worse.
    Previous Article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS.
    Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

In order - FRLG FAQ, Ruby/Sapphire Plates - The Ultimate Guide of Getting Them, Pokemon Choice Guide, FR/LG Hidden Items Guide.

Fire Red/Leaf Green FAQ

Credit to Trip and TRJessie579 for the original FAQ, and Chaos Emerald for edits/additions.

Note: This thread is not for short, one-liner questions. Use the Official Help Thread for that. This is mainly for discussion of things that don't fall under any other category.

FAQ
    Q: FireRed and LeafGREEN? Why didn’t they make Blue instead?
    A: Red and Green were actually the original two Pokemon games, in Japan. Then Pokemon Blue came out, and our Red and Blue games were based on Japan’s Blue. Blue had improved graphics over Red and Green, different Pokemon locations, etc. Note that it also had a different Cerulean Cave design, which the American RB was based on, while FrLg's was based on the original Japanese RG, which is why FrLg's Cerulean Cave has a different layout than RB's.

Q: What are the differences between these games and the old ones?
    A: FireRed and LeafGreen are in the same generation as R/S/E, so they have the same Pokemon info—Natures, Abilities, shinies, genders, breeding, etc. Some Pokemon locations and Pokemon you trade for have been changed, and obviously the graphics are much better than they were in Red/Green. Also, all 386 Pokemon can be used in this game, though they can’t necessarily all be obtained.

The most major change from the old to the new games is the addition of the Sevii Islands, which will be discussed later in the FAQ.

Q: Is there day/nighttime in this game?
    A: No, there isn't an internal clock, so no day/night of any kind exists. This also means you cannot get Espeon and Umbreon.

Q: What is the VS Seeker and where do I get it?
    A: The VS Seeker allows you to rebattle field Trainers. This does NOT include Gym Leaders, or Trainers in buildings or caves. Once you use the VS Seeker, you must take 100 steps to “recharge” it and be able to use it again. You get the VS Seeker from a woman in the Vermillion Pokemon Center.

Q: Where do I get HM ___?
    A: HM 01 Cut: You get this once you help the seasick Captain of the SS Anne in Vermillion City.
    HM 02 Fly: This can be found on Route 18, West of Celadon City, by using Cut on a tree above the Bike Path. You will come to a house with a girl in it that will give it to you.
    HM 03 Surf: In the Safari Zone’s Secret House.
    HM 04 Strength: If you find the Warden’s Gold Teeth in the Safari Zone and return them to him, he will reward you with this.
    HM 05 Flash: If you have at least 10 Pokemon in your ‘Dex, go to a building on Route 2, below Diglett’s Cave. One of Professor Oak’s aids will give it to you.
    HM 06 Rock Smash: In Ember Spa, on One Island.
    HM 07 Waterfall: In Icefall Cave, on Four Island.
    HM 08 Dive: This HM is not obtainable in this game, only in R/S/E.

Q: Why won’t the Saffron City guard take my Fresh Water?
    A: To prevent people from getting into Saffron early by trading in a Fresh Water, they’ve changed the item you need to give to the guard. On the first floor of the Celadon Mansion is an old woman who will give you the “Tea” item. This is what the guard will accept to let you pass.

Q: Where is the Move Deleter in this game?
    A: Fuchsia City, in between the Pokemon Center and the Gym.

Q: My Golbat/Chansey stops evolving even when I didn’t press B! What’s going on?
    A: Since Crobat and Blissey are Johto Pokemon, they can’t be obtained until you have the National Dex. Once you get it, your Pokemon will evolve.

Q: How do I get the National Dex?
    A: After you beat the Elite Four, if you have 60 or more Pokemon caught in your Pokedex, you will get the National Dex automatically. If not, get 60 Pokemon and then go talk to Oak, he will give it to you.

Q: Are there more Johto Pokemon in this game?
    A: Yes, once you have the National Dex you can go to Four Island and the rest, which have Johto Pokemon running around.

Q: How do I get the Leftovers/Macho Brace/Soothe Bell?
    A: In FR/LG, these are items you can only get in a special way. You have to stand on a specific spot and use the Itemfinder. It will tell you that an item is “buried” underneath the ground, and will unearth it for you. The Leftovers is located under both Snorlax, the Macho Brace under Giovanni in the Viridian City Gym, and the Soothe Bell under Mr. Fuji in Lavender Tower. Remember that you have to stand on the EXACT SPOT they were on and use the Itemfinder to get the item.

Q: I went with Bill to the Sevii Islands and now I’m lost. What do I do?
    A: Before you can go back, you have to save a girl on Three Island, in the Berry Forest, from a Hypno. Once you do, and talk to her father on Two Island, you can go back to Kanto.

Q: Why isn’t Moltres in Victory Road?
    A: It’s been moved to One Island in this game. Just go North to Mt. Ember to find it.

Q: How do I get the woman on Two Island to teach my starter a special move?
    A: First, you need a Venusaur, Charizard, or Blastoise (it does NOT have to be the Pokemon you started with). Next, this starter must be at MAX happiness, or she will not teach it the move. Finally, put it in the first slot of your party and talk to the woman. She will teach Venusaur Frenzy Plant, Charizard Blast Burn, and Blastoise Hydro Cannon. You can teach each starter this move ONCE, per game (so you can have the woman teach a Venusaur, Charizard, AND Blastoise their special moves, not just one).

Q: Does this game have a Move Tutor like R/S/E?
    A: Yes, and he is on Two Island. Instead of taking Heart Scales like in R/S/E, he takes either two Tiny Mushrooms or one Big Mushroom. These items can be found on wild Paras and Parasect.

Q: How do I get this Egg on Five Island, and what’s in it?
    A: If you Surf North from Five Island, you will find a man who will offer to give you an Egg. If you have a free space in your party, and your lead Pokemon is at MAX happiness, you’ll get the Egg, which contains a Togepi.

Q: What does this “Tanoby Key” on Seven Island open?
    A: If you solve the puzzle, it will open the Tanoby Ruins at the very South of Seven Island, which contain the Unown. Each cave has different Unown in it, so you’ll have to visit all of them if you want to get all the Unown. Unfortunately, you get absolutely nothing from capturing all 28 Unown except for the satisfaction of having wasted precious time of your life.

Q: How come I can’t breed in the Daycare in Cerulean City?
    A: This Daycare is set up just like the one in the original games. The Daycare where you can breed is on Four Island.

Q: How do you get through Lost Cave, and what do you get?
    A: Count the number of rocks in each room, then picture the room as a clock and go into the corresponding door. Three rocks, you go right; six, you go down; nine, you go left; twelve, you go up. This will lead you to Selphy, who will return to Resort Gorgeous. Going through other doors may lead you to items. If you go to visit Selphy, she’ll ask to see a random Pokemon. If you can bring it to her, she’ll reward you with an item, most often Luxury Balls, but sometimes Nuggets, Pearls, and other things of that nature.

Q: I’ve heard that the E4 gets stronger the second time you battle them! Is that true, and if so what’s different about them?
    A: Yes, this is true—when you fight the E4’s “second wave,” their Pokemon are higher levels (from 10 to 12) and some have changed their teams around. Lorelei replaces Slowbro with Piloswine. Bruno's Onix is now a Steelix. Agatha's Golbat evolves and Haunter is replaced with Misdreavus. Lance evolves one Dragonair and replaces the other with Kingdra. Your rival replaces Pidgeot with Heracross and Rhydon with Tyranitar.

Q: How do I get Mewtwo? The guy won’t let me into Cerulean Cave!
    A: Before you can get into the Cave, you need to have beaten the E4 for the first time, obtained the National Dex, and fixed the Network Machine. Only then will you be able to go in and capture Mewtwo.

Q: Huh? My Pokemon came back to me when I tried to release it! How do I get rid of it?
    A: This doesn't have to do with happiness, as the game might suggest (____ came back! Was it worried about you?), but HMs. If the Pokemon you're releasing is the only one you have with Surf (and this also seems to work on occasion with Waterfall), it can't be released. Teach another random Pokemon Surf, then try again.

Q: The guy at the daycare says my Pokemon don't like each other! Why? Will they breed?
    A: Yes! The message that you'll get when the Pokemon are not compatible is "They prefer to play with other Pokemon." The phrase, and how many steps it takes to get an Egg, depends on your Pokemon's species and trainer ID number.

Different IDs and Same Species = Fast "The two seem to get along very well."
    Different IDs and Different Species OR Same IDs and Same Species = Medium "The two seem to get along."
    Same IDs and Different Species = Slow "The two don't seem to like each other."

Q: How do I get Upgrade/Metal Coat/King's Rock/Dragon Scale so I can evolve my Pokemon?
    A: Up-Grade - On Five Island in the Rocket Warehouse. Use the floor with the arrows to get to the room at the top left of the Warehouse, it's in there.
    Metal Coat - On Five Island at Memorial Pillar. From Five Island Surf down as far as you can and you'll come to a small piece of land with a statue on it. The Metal Coat is below the statue.
    King's Rock - On Seven Island in Sevault Canyon, you need Strength and Rock Smash to access it.
    Dragon Scale - On Six Island in the Water Path. From Six Island walk North until you come to water where you can Surf. Then Surf south along the side of the island to come to the item.

All four of these are also prizes from the Trainer Tower on Seven Island.

Q: How do I encounter Raikou/Entei/Suicune? (thanks to LordKelvin for suggesting)
    A: You can only encounter one per file, and it depends on which starter you pick:
    Bulbasaur-Entei
    Charmander-Suicune
    Squrtle-Raikou
    They're running around the Kanto mainland after you get the National Dex (that means no Sevii Islands) and it's random what route they're on. Once you find one or get the data for it through trading, you can track it by checking its route, but if you Fly or turn off your game, its route is re-randomized. Note that if you don't plan on using a Masterball, unless you're facing Suicune, DO NOT use Wobbuffet or a Pokemon knowing Mean Look/Block/Spiderweb. Raikou and Entei know Roar, and if they use it, they'll disappear exactly as if you defeated them. Also worth noting, a glitch in the IVs of running Pokemon in the 3rd generation causes any of them to have 4-5 IV's that are all 0-1, so if you have Colosseum, it's a much better idea to get them from that game. Here's a tip for finding them from Shiny Trainer:
    Go to route between Celadon & Saffron (Route 7) while having a Level 30-49 Pokemon as the first Pokemon in your team, along with a bunch of Repels.
    Use the repel, and search the grass. If the repel runs out and you haven't found the Beast, go to Celadon, use repel, return to the grass and search again, and keep doing it until you find the Beast. Throw your Masterball, and it's yours

Q: Where is the Move Deleter?
    A: In Fuschia City in a house next to the Pokemon Center.

Q: Help! I went to face the Elite Four a second time but Lorelei isn't there! Is my game glitched?
    A: No, you need to finish some Sevii Island quests first.

Q: Can I evolve Eevee into Espeon and Umbreon in this game?
    A: No. In Fire Red and Leaf Green (as well as Colosseum), you can only evolve your Eevee into Vaporeon, Jolteon, or Flareon. You can obtain an Espeon or Umbreon by trading Eevee to Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald, raising its friendship, and raising a level (between 12 PM and 12 AM for Espeon, between 12 AM and 12 PM for Umbreon). You could also trade it to XD and use the Sun Shard (Espeon) or Moon Shard (Umbreon), provided you have not used up your one-per-game Eevee-evolution item.

Q: Can this game trade with all the other versions?
    A: Fire Red and Leaf Green can trade between each other as soon as you have the ability to trade, but any other game can only be traded with after you get the Ruby and Sapphire to Celio, plus finishing any requirements in the other game you are trading with.

Q: Which game is better/how are they different?
    A: The only difference between these two games is the obtainable Pokemon.
    In Fire Red, you can get Ekans, Arbok, Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Bellossom, Psyduck, Golduck, Growlithe, Arcanine, Shellder, Cloyster, Electabuzz, Elekid, Scyther, Scizor, Wooper, Quagsire, Murkrow, Qwilfish, Delibird, Skarmory, and Attack Deoxys (event-only). You can also do an ingame trade of Nidoran M for a Nidoran F, and Nidorino for Nidorina. There are also some Pokemon that are less common or more common than in Leaf Green, but they can be gotten with patience.
    In Leaf Green, you can get Sandshrew, Sandslash, Vulpix, Ninetales, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victreebel, Slowpoke, Slowbro, Slowking, Staryu, Starmie, Magmar, Magby, Pinsir, Azurill, Marill, Azumarill, Misdreavus, Sneasel, Remoraid, Octillery, Mantine, and Defense Deoxys (event-only). You can also do an ingame trade of Nidoran F for Nidoran M and Nidorina for Nidorino. There are also some Pokemon that are less common or more common than in Fire Red, but they can be gotten with patience.
    So choose which game based on those factors.

Q: How do I clone in the 3rd generation?
    A: Check the Cloning in Emerald thread.

Q: What's with the old lady on Seven Island that has the boxes in her house? Can I get behind them or something?
    A: Short answer: No, most likely not. Long answer: It was used in the Japanese versions of Fire Red and Leaf Green to fight trainers that you downloaded using Battle-e Cards. The e-Reader was discontinued in the rest of the world due to lack of popularity, so the feature of connecting was removed, but the data to go to the spot still exists. So if you happen to have a Japanese FrLg, a Japanese e-Reader, and some Japanese Battle-e Cards for FrLg, you can go there. But it's really pretty pointless anyway (if you have the Battle-e Cards for Ruby and Sapphire, it's pretty much the same deal).

----------------------------------------

RUBY AND SAPPHIRE PLATES
    The Ultimate Guide of Getting Them

By Dramatic Melody

So I took the near-impossible task of creating a guide on how to get the Ruby and Sapphire plates. I’ve seen millions of threads created about it, and I hope this guide would lessen that…somehow.

There will be four parts in this guide: Prerequisites, Getting the Ruby Plate, Getting the Sapphire Plate and After the Work. The parts will hopefully explain everything and anything you need to know about this simple but complex post-credit quest.

So let’s get started, shall we?

PREREQUISITES

Before you actually begin your quest for the two plates, you must’ve done three things first, which I will list here:

1) Beat the Elite Four

– Of course, it is a given that you will have to beat the Elite Four (and the Champion) at least once, as this is a post-credit quest, and the only way for the credits to roll is if you beat Lorelei, Bruno, Agatha, Lance and your Rival.
    – As a side-note, while you are doing this quest, you will not be able to fight the Elite Four, since one of them, Lorelei, is part of the quest. You’ll be able to fight them again after you’ve done the quest, as explained in the “After the Work” section.

2) Obtain the National Dex

– After beating the Elite Four, you must then obtain the National Pokedex from Professor Oak, which he will give if and only if you have caught sixty (60) Pokemon from the FR/LG Pokedex. That’s right, not seen – CAUGHT.
    – The FR/LG Pokedex refers to the first 151 Pokemon of the National Pokedex, which are the only obtainable Pokemon within the game prior to this quest and without trading with other games (barring Mew and version exclusives), which is impossible without the Ruby and Sapphire plates anyway.

3) Finish the first Sevii Island Quest

– While this can be done before beating the Elite Four (to be precise, after you beat the seventh gym, Blaine), it is still put here since it is an important prerequisite. You must have finished the first quest involving the first three islands, namely: Meet Celio in One Island, Beat the Goons in Three Island, Rescue Lostelle in Berry Forrest, Return her safely to her parents in Two Island, give the meteorite to Bill and receive the Tri-Pass from Celio. Sounds like a lot, doesn’t it?

Yeah, it looks like a long list (of three), but they’re simpler once you actually do it. Honest.

GETTING THE RUBY PLATE

Yay. The easier of the two plates.

You must have done the three things under “Prerequisites” before you do this.

I’ll put them in chronological order, for your convenience. 8D

1) Go to One Island and Talk to Celio.

– He’ll tell you about his plans of upgrading his machine, but then he says that he needs your help in retrieving an important part – the Ruby plate.
    – His hunch is that it’s somewhere in One Island, but he’s too lazybusy to find it and “politely” asks you to do so. Being the all-around nice guy/gal, you agree.

2) Go up to Mt. Ember, Defeat the Rockets, and Retrieve the Ruby

– When you enter Mt. Ember, go right, and you’ll see two Rocket Grunts in front of a cave opening. You’ll overhear one of the passwords, “Goldeen need log”, but before the grunt proceeds to say the second one, they spot you and both challenge you to two separate single battles.
    – After defeating them, they’ll run, and you’re free to enter the cave. I unfortunately do not remember how to go through this cave the proper way, but I do know that you’ll need the HM Strength, and at the end, you’ll get the Ruby Plate. Yay!

3) Give the Ruby to Celio and Get the Rainbow Pass

– Give the Ruby plate to Celio, and he’ll plug it in inside his machine. A red dot will appear on the left, and he’ll rejoice.
    – He will then “politely” ask you again if you can finish the job by retrieving yet another important part – the Sapphire Plate.
    – When you accept (of course you will), he’ll give you the Rainbow Pass, which will give you access to Four, Five, Six and Seven Islands.

And that’s all for the easier plate. Now, for the harder of the two…

GETTING THE SAPPHIRE PLATE

Getting the bluer and cooler of the two plates is much, much harder than the other one, and it is way, way longer and more complicated.

This part is probably the reason why you’re viewing this, amirite?

You must have done all three steps under “Getting the Ruby Plate” before you can begin with the first step.

Ready?

1) Go to Four Island and Defeat the Grunts in Icefall Cave

– With your newly-acquired Rainbow Pass, take the ship to Four Island and go inside Icefall Cave. After doing the mini-quest of Icefall Cave (which involves getting the HM Waterfall), climb up the Waterfall and go inside specific cave entrances. At the end, you’ll meet Lorelei (the first of the Elite Four you battle, the one that uses Ice Pokemon) and three Rocket grunts.
    – After some exchange of dialogue, Lorelei will then tell you to defeat one of the grunts while she takes care of the other two. Do that, and they’ll all flee afterwards. Lorelei will then thank you and tell you about her desire of keeping her hometown in peace. After doing that, you can proceed to the next step, which is…

2) Go to Six Island, Open Ruin Valley, and Watch the Sapphire Plate get Stolen

– Go to Six Island and surf southwards. After a few battles, you’ll reach the entrance of a cave. There’s Braille on the entrance of this cave (which was blocked prior to doing the first step), and it says “Cut”. Let a Pokemon use Cut to get in.
    – Fall down the hole. There will be Braille in every room you fall down into, which will tell you which hole you should fall down in next. In order, it is up, left, right and, finally, down.
    – If you did that correctly, you should be in a room with a pretty blue gem in the center. Yeah, the Sapphire Plate. Press A to get it and leave…
    – After you Press A, a scientist will suddenly fall down from the roof and get the Sapphire Plate (because of your pathetically slow hands). As a way of apologizing (o.O), he gives you the second password, “Yes, nah, Chansey”, and leaves.
    – With the two passwords, there’s really only one thing to do…

3) Go to Five Island, Open the Rocket Warehouse, and Get the Sapphire Plate

– Go to Five Island and go east. Stand outside the Rocket Warehouse entrance and press A, which will let you enter the two passwords and let you in. Yay?
    – Defeat all the rockets inside and defeat their “leader”. Go up and defeat the stolerScientist, which prompts him to give you the Sapphire Plate he stole. Yay!
    – Fly back to One Island and give the Sapphire Plate to Celio. You’re done! YAY!

You can go rejoice now. Or you can read on further for additional stuff you might wanna check out after doing the quest…

AFTER THE WORK

After you’ve done the quest (or certain parts of it), FRLG gives you a few more stuff to explore, adding to its massive replay value. Listed below are these “stuff” that I’m talking about…and no, they are not arranged in any order. =P

Trade with Other Games

– Since Celio’s machine now fully works, you can now trade with any game within the Third Generation. You can now transfer Hoenn Pokemon in your FRLG game, and you can send Kanto Pokemon to your other games. ^_^

Catch New Pokemon

– While you’re doing the quest, you might notice that you’ll see Pokemon outside of the original 151. That’s because the Sevii Islands are filled with new Johto Pokemon that was previously uncatchable in RS. With the National Dex, you can freely catch them to your heart’s content. :P
    – For a complete list of Pokemon you can now obtain, click here.

Battle the Improved Elite Four

– After you finish the quest, Lorelei goes back to the Pokemon League and is now ready to accept your challenge. But she, along with the rest of the Elite Four (and the Champion), now has new and improved Pokemon!
    – All their Pokemon have raised ten levels (which now puts the range between 61 and 73), and some Pokemon have evolved or have been replaced by Johto counterparts. This is the best training ground in all of 3rd gen, so have fun!

Explore Cerulean Cave

– Remember the cave back in Cerulean City that was blocked by some dude? Well, the dude’s gone, and you can now go inside Cerulean Cave. It’s filled with the highest-leveled non-legendary Wild Pokemon in the whole game, and, of course, there’s the popular purple legendary – Mewtwo.

And that’s it for this really long guide! I hope it answers all your questions about getting the plates, and I hope it’ll make that quest easier! ^_^

~> DM

------------------------------

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Current article: From RSE to ORAS - what has improved? We look at aspects that changed for better or worse.
    Previous Article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS.

Pokemon Choice Guide

By LordKelvin

The goal of this FireRed/LeafGreen guide is to highlight all the most common, popular, and best choices for picking Pokemon for playing through the main Kanto storyline. Keep in mind that if you want more specific information, such as what Pokemon a certain Gym Leader has, or what to expect from your Rival at certain points of the game, or what not, then you're probably better off reading a strategy guide at GameFAQs or something since that isn't really the goal of this guide. Also, remember that most of this guide is only my own opinion, based on how I played through the game.

The main issue with playing a game as big as Pokemon is that you'll have a lot of choices for how to pick out your team. Aside from your starter, you will have to pick out five other Pokemon to fill in the gaps to create a team that can take on and take out any other team in the game. Now, as the main storyline is nowhere near as hard as Competitive battling, you don't have to worry about a single mistake dooming your entire team. However, if you fail to pick a solid team, then you'll have plenty of trouble throughout the story even if you're 5 levels above your opponents. That's what this guide is here for: to help you find the best Pokemon to create that solid team.

Type and Attack Basics

The most obvious feature of Pokemon is that there are 17 different types in the game, which greatly affect how one Pokemon performs against another. Now, even though this game takes place in Kanto, which is home to the original 13 types and original 151 Pokemon, before Dark and Steel were introduced, you still have to keep those two extra types in mind. Even though Magnemite and Magneton are the only Pokemon that possess the Steel type in the game and no Pokemon before Sevii possess the Dark type, those two types still exist in the game in the form of attacks; Charmander can learn Metal Claw, many Pokemon can learn Bite (which has shifted to being a Dark type move), and so on. So even though you don't have to worry about your Psychic attacks bouncing off of a Dark type Pokemon, you do have to worry about a Steel attack taking out your Rock type Pokemon. So be sure to memorize the Type Effectiveness table found on the main site.

Another thing to remember is that if your Pokemon uses an attack that's the same type as it, then it gets a 50% bonus in that attack, called STAB (which stands for Same Type Attack Bonus). This, in combination with using Super Effective attacks on an enemy, can result in doing up to 6 times the normal amount of damage in the most optimal cases, which, needless to say, will really ruin your opponent's day. Even when not up against an enemy that's weak to your Pokemon's type, using a STAB attack is still very effective.

Now, even though Type has a major effect on how powerful your attacks are, you also have to consider the other aspect of your attacks, whether they're Physical or Special. Keep in mind that Physical attacks use the Attack stat and attack the enemy's Defense stat while Special attacks use the Special Attack stat and hammer at your opponent's Special Defense stat. Since this is Gen III and not Gen IV, attacks aren't classified by Physical/Special on an individual basis, but rather on the attack type. So to put it simply:

Physical = Normal, Fighting, Flying, Poison, Ground, Rock, Bug, Ghost, Steel

Special = Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Psychic, Ice, Dragon, Dark

If you're already used to Gen IV combat mechanics, then it can seem retarded that Fire Punch is a Special attack, or that Hyper Beam is a Physical attack, or that Bite is a Special attack. But since this is an older game, let's not complain about it and deal with it.

Base Stats

Next to attack types, base stats are what determine how strong your Pokemon is. Obviously, higher evolutions of a Pokemon will have larger base stats than lower tiers in the evolution tree, but these stats can still affect how you will use a Pokemon in battle; for example, a Cubone/Marowak has good Attack stats but low Special Attack stats, so using Special attacks with either one is not a very good idea. Likewise, using a Kadabra to absorb Physical attacks is a recipe for disaster, since Kadabra has very low HP and Defense stats. Be sure to look up your Pokemon's base stats to find out what kind of role it best fills.

Effort Values

Another major difference between Red/Blue Kanto and FireRed/LeafGreen Kanto is that the data structure was completely overhauled, so there's an actual limit on how strong your Pokemon can become. This comes in the form of Effort Values, or Effort Points depending on your school of thought. Since I don't want to write an entire guide explaining EV's, I'll just link you to the other guide already present in the Diamond/Pearl subforum here, since D/P uses the same data structure as FR/LG. Whether or not you'll want to actually EV-train your FR/LG Pokemon is up to you.

In general, since this isn't Competitive battling (unless you're actually raising Pokemon to play Competitive, in which case you're better off Dongling it off to your D/P cart since it has far better EV-training tools like EV-reducing berries and the Counter app), you don't need to keep a very close eye on your Pokemon's EV's. But if you want to get more bang out of your Pokemon, then following which types of EVs your Pokemon get can go a long way; ie., making sure that your Pokemon only battles Pokemon that give out certain types of EV's until it caps out at 510. The term that I use loosely to describe this is "EV fine-tuning," since you're not actually EV-training, but following a loose guideline.

This also works to your advantage and disadvantage in combination with your Pokemon types. For example, you can make your Starter focus entirely on Special Attack EV's since Fire, Grass, and Water attacks are all Special attacks. But if you plan to Dongle, better to breed a new one from scratch and port it.

So, onto the Pokemon themselves.

Team Building Basics

While training each individual Pokemon is very important, how they work with each other to defeat opposing teams is even more important. Having a team of six Fire type Pokemon, for example, means that you'll be wasted by a Water team with minimal effort, and similarly makes taking on Rock or Dragon teams a test of patience due to not being able to dent them with your attacks. While obviously you won't build a team of six Fire Pokemon, the principle remains the same.

1. Attack Type coverage

The core principle of building a good team is that your overlapping attack types should be able to take out any possible enemy team no matter what type of Pokemon it's composed of. For example, if half your team is made up of Ground Pokemon with only Ground type attacks, then you only have three Pokemon at your disposal if you encounter a Flying team. Likewise, having plenty of Electricity Pokemon will leave you with very few attacks to use if you encounter a Ground team. Keep plenty of variety in the types of attacks that your Pokemon know, and you'll have at most only one useless Pokemon in any given battle.

2. Resistance spread

This follows the same principle as having overlapping attack coverage. If you have lots of Grass, Bug, and Ice Pokemon, you'll be easily raped by a Fire team; on top of your STAB attacks being only half as effective, your Pokemon will also be easily taken out by your opponent's STAB Fire attacks. Make sure that your team's overall resistance spread is set up such that as few of your Pokemon as possible are weak to any single type, and if possible, try to maximize the number of resistances your team has to all potential types.

3. Physical and Special attack coverage

This isn't quite that important in this game as it is in Gen IV, since type coverage will trump it in most cases here, but it can make a great difference in a few specific cases. In general, if you find yourself fighting an opponent against which you have no type advantage, then target their weaker defense with a type neutral attack. For example, Kadabra is weak against Dark type attacks and has a higher Special Defense than Defense, so if you have a Raticate, for example, instead of attacking it with a non-STAB Dark type attack like Pursuit (since no Kanto Pokemon are Dark type), you could try to hit it with a STAB Normal attack like Hyper Fang; in this case, you're targeting Kadabra's weak Defense stat, and taking advantage of Raticate's higher Attack stat, along with STAB, as opposed to using its weaker Special Attack stat with a super effective move that targets Kadabra's relatively stronger Special Defense stat.

As an example, this is the team that I'm currently raising (note that some of these are still in progress):

Charizard
    -Flamethrower
    -Slash
    -Wing Attack
    -Metal Claw

Nidoqueen
    -Rock Slide
    -Superpower
    -Body Slam
    -Double Kick

Snorlax
    -Rest
    -Body Slam
    -Headbutt
    -Sleep Talk

Magneton
    -Charge
    -Thunder Wave
    -Sonicboom
    -Supersonic

Kabuto
    -Scratch
    -Surf
    -Harden
    -Absorb

Aerodactyl
    -Fly
    -Take Down
    -Bite
    -Leer

This isn't actually a very good example (my previous Blastoise team was probably better), since half my team has a Water weakness, but the main reason for that is because I'm still experimenting with and trying out different Pokemon, and the fact that my Starter is Charizard in this case; besides, I have Magneton to deal with any issues. I also have attacks to deal with practically every Pokemon type out there except Psychic, which is what Snorlax is for. The combination of Kabuto and Aerodactyl isn't actually a good thing since they both have Rock type, but I was trying to experiment with using Kabuto as my anti-Fire Pokemon and Aerodactyl as my Flying Pokemon.

Which Pokemon to use

Your Starter

In every Pokemon game to date, you will get a Starter that, used properly, will be your most powerful Pokemon. The types have always been Fire, Grass, and Water, which form their own type triangle; in each game, your Rival has always picked the Starter that has the type advantage over your Starter, but by the end of the game you should have access to so many Pokemon that this shouldn't be an issue at all. So it's largely an issue of which Starter you like as a personal preference, or maybe which Legendary Beast you want to capture to Dongle to your D/P cart, or what have you. However, even though you will eventually have access to almost all of the original 150 Pokemon, the choice pool is quite limited at the beginning and even the middle of the game, so picking a certain Starter will affect how hard the game is at the beginning. Here's a quick run-down:

Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur

Picking Bulbasaur at the beginning instantly makes fighting the first two to four Gyms a cakewalk, since Grass easily rips through Rock/Ground and Water type Pokemon, and resist Electric and Grass type attacks quite well. The only real disadvanage is that you'll be twice as vulnerable to your Rival, since he packs the Fire Starter, as well as a Pidgey that he keeps on his team all the way to the Elite Four. Bulbasaur is capable of learning a various array of powder attacks like Sleep Powder and Stun Spore, which, aside from being able to cripple enemy teams, makes capturing wild Pokemon easier due to being able to inflict status effects with relative ease.

The Bulbasaur family isn't exactly fast, but they do have good defensive and Special Attack ratings, which makes them good for tanking and absorbing hits whenever needed. Since they come with the Poison type as a second type, this both increases and reduces your vulnerability against various attack types, so even though you might not be using Poison type attacks frequently, be aware of that second type regardless.

Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard

Picking Charmander will make the first two Gyms a test in patience and gives you no advantage against Surge, but beyond that, lets you walk all over Erika and Koga with relative ease. You're also not at as much of a disadvantage against your Rival at the beginning, since it can take on his Pidgey without much trouble. The Charmander family focuses more on speed and attack rather than on durability, so if you choose Charmander, then expect to have to take your opponents out before they can strike back. Also, evolving to Charizard gives it immunity to Ground attacks and further strengthens it against Grass and Bug, but you also gain a double weakness to Rock attacks, so tread cautiously against Pokemon that can use those attacks.

Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise

My personal favorite ever since starting my copy of Pokemon Blue many years ago, the Squirtle family is largely defensively focused and can tank against most enemies with little trouble. Picking Squirtle gives you a free bye against Brock and lets you fight Misty to a standstill even under her level, but puts you in trouble against the next two Gyms. Against your Rival, taking him on near the end of the story is a fair cakewalk since you'll have plenty of Fire types to pick from to go toe to toe with his Venusaur.

Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree

While Butterfree is quite useful in the short run as it hits its final stage at level 10 and can learn various useful powder attacks, it's eventually eclipsed since it doesn't get STAB on the Psychic attacks it learns, and it's a fairly vulnerable Pokemon that can't really take hits. Aside from filling an easy 3 entries in your Pokedex and making early battles a bit easier, you're probably better off leaving this one in your box. Aside from Pinsir and the later Heracross, there are few Bug type Pokemon really worth raising.

On a side note though, if you do decide to raise one, make sure to raise it from the Caterpie stage, not Metapod! If you catch a wild Metapod, it will only know how to Harden, with no Tackle, which means you miss out on having even a very basic attack to begin with. The same applies to Beedrill and raising that from the Weedle stage instead of Kakuna.

Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot

Most players will have one of these since it's the first Flying type that they encounter, and one of the very first Pokemon that they are able to capture. Overall, while having one of these will allow you to traverse between cities very quickly once you get the Fly HM, they're not all that useful in the long run. While Pidgeot is very fast, the problem is that it doesn't hit very hard, and can't take hits well either. Furthermore, any moves that it gets STAB with are exceedingly weak, so this Pokemon eventually only becomes useful for taking out Grass, Fighting, and Bug Pokemon, and there are many other Pokemon out there that can do the job more efficiently. While I kept my Pidgeot on my team all the way to Unknown Dungeon, it sat on the sidelines well before I reached Indigo Plateau.

Pikachu/Raichu

The all-famous Electric Rat is actually not a very bad choice to start out, and will even become necessary depending on which Starter you picked. As it's found in the Viridian Forest area, you'll have one very early on if you decide to raise it, and it basically becomes your only Electric option until you reach Rock Tunnel (where Voltorb are present) or gain access to the Power Plant. The problem is that it takes a fair amount of investment to raise properly, and even then it's a mixed bag. The Thundershock attack it comes with is fairly weak and has trouble taking out opponents at the same level, even with STAB or super-effective, and Pikachu is a relatively frail Pokemon that can't take hits worth beans. However, that's what its speed is for; it's capable of outspeeding most opponents, and once it learns Thunderbolt, it can be quite useful for taking out enemies in one or two shots. Plus, when you reach Celadon (or earlier if you find a Thunder Stone), you'll gain the option to turn it into a Raichu, but make sure that you don't want to teach it any more moves before you use that Thunderstone.

A note of caution: if you opt to raise one just so you can beat Misty, don't hold your breath. Even at level 24 (and I know that personally as a fact), Pikachu is incapable of killing her Staryu in one hit, and Starmie will outspeed it even at that level, and hit hard with Water Pulse; even getting a single Thundershock in won't help matters much, since it'll take at least 3 hits before it goes down for the count, and that's not counting Misty using a Super Potion on it, or it using Recovery. Thunder Wave is a soft option, but requires you to have at least one standby Pokemon to finish the job. So unless you have an Ivysaur or Bellsprout/Oddish ready, expect to have to work hard for that Cascade Badge.

Sandshrew/Sandslash

While I personally didn't think that I would even train one of these since the Ground type has so many weaknesses, this Pokemon managed to surprise me on many occasions, though admittedly that didn't last very long. This Pokemon is a LeafGreen-only exclusive, so FireRed players can discount this Pokemon, but otherwise, feel free to read on if you can get one in a trade.

The Sandshrew family's main strength is in its defense. While it doesn't halve Normal and Flying attacks like Rock Pokemon, it also doesn't get raped by Fighting and Ground attacks either. Their Attack stat is also quite impressive, and their Speed is passable depending on the nature, but for weathering Special attacks, it's better to count on another Pokemon.

While Sandslash is capable of tanking against Physical opponents fairly well, the problem is that, despite its good Attack stat, it's incapable of learning any useful STAB moves without TMs. The only passable STAB move it learns by leveling up is Sand Tomb, which is pathetically weak for anything except trapping your opponent on the field with you. Without a TM move like Dig or Earthquake, it's not capable of finishing off an opponent in a timely manner.

Overall, I was somewhat disappointed by this Pokemon, since it takes a fair amount of investment for only an above-average return. If you opt for Earthquake, you'll be wasting your only Earthquake TM in the game, but Sandslash will become a good contender. If you opt for Dig, you don't have to use a once-only TM since Dig can be bought in Celadon, but it's a 2-turn move that does less damage than Earthquake on a per-attack basis, to speak nothing of a per-turn basis.

Nidoran/Nidorino-Nidorina/Nidoking-Nidoqueen

Surprisingly, the Nidoran family is actually fairly worth raising at least for mid-game purposes, and likely beyond that, since their end-stage royalty evolutions are quite capable of throwing down with the toughest of opponents, and their Poison Point ability can be useful sometimes. The beginning stage Nidoran are fairly weak and a bit hard to get off the ground, but once you get to Nidorino/Nidorina, they become quite reliable against most opponents, and once you get your hands on a Moon Stone, your enemies will seem to crumble before you.

The down side, of course, is that you have to get your hands on a Moon Stone in order to get them to reach their full potential, and Moon Stones are hard to come by. You'll find one in Mount Moon if you look hard enough, but it'll be a long while before you find a second one, so you're basically stuck raising only one for a while (though that's not usually an issue for most players).

Remember that using a Stone on a Pokemon often means that it'll stop learning new moves once it evolves, and in this case, they gain an extra Ground type, which opens up a whole new can of weaknesses and resistances. Be sure to look up various move tables to see what moves you'll miss out on learning. However, one of the nice things is that the Kanto move tutors can solve this problem quite easily for you; for example, I taught my Nidoqueen how to use Rock Slide using the move tutor in Rock Tunnel, which it uses on a fairly regular basis. That's another downside of these Pokemon: unless you have some TMs handy (and even if you do), you won't be getting many STAB bonuses with their attacks. But the good thing is, if you set up their moves right, they won't need STAB to take down opponents, since they'll be able to get super-effective bonuses instead most of the time.

So, if you opt for a Nidoran, which one should you pick, male or female? The male is easier to find in FireRed and the female is more common in LeafGreen, but you'll be able to find NPC's that are willing to trade your version's common type for one of the other gender at the Underground Path to Vermilion if you don't have the patience to catch it yourself, so if you're willing to wait you can get either one. They also have different move pools that you can take advantage of if you so choose. In terms of performance, Nidoking is more offensively balanced and is faster, but is a bit easier to take out due to weaker defenses. Nidoqueen, on the other hand, has more staying power and can weather attacks very well, but is somewhat slower and doesn't hit as hard. If you do EV fine-tuning like me though, you can compensate for their weaknesses and get a more balanced Pokemon; my Nidoqueen is quite capable of outspeeding most opponents, bounces most attacks off, and hits like a pile of bricks.

Vulpix/Ninetales

Another LeafGreen exclusive. While I haven't personally raised a Vulpix or Ninetales yet since I'm currently playing through using Charmander as my Starter, Vulpix does bear mentioning because its ability, Flash Fire, is rather interesting. Simply put, it absorbs Fire attacks with no damage and powers up its own Fire attacks instead, so it's useful if you like to laugh at Blaine. The problem here is that Vulpix is a fairly weak Pokemon, and it takes quite a bit of raising if you want it to learn its most powerful moves before evolving; what's worse, some of these moves come after you face Erika, so unless you dedicate a lot of time, you won't have them to take her out. However, Vulpix and Ninetales are very fast Pokemon, and can weather hits extremely well. Offensively, they're more or less average, but if you train properly, you can eliminate that flaw.

Diglett/Dugtrio

If you encountered a Dugtrio and subsequently got raped by it while passing through Diglett's Cave, you may have been tempted to capture and raise one of these things. While they're quite fast and can hit well, the problem is that those are the only two things they have going for them; they can't weather attacks very well, so you'll have to shoot to kill with this thing. While it does learn many good STAB moves, Dugtrio also has weaknesses to Grass and Water type attacks, both of which are fairly common, so using this thing takes caution.

On another note, Arena Trap can be quite useful for keeping the Legendary Beasts from running away. The flip side is that, as mentioned above, Dugtrio is incapable of weathering attacks well, least of all Legendary attacks, and you'll need to keep it on the field to keep the Beast from running away. So the only Beast you can use it against (and again, I know from experience) is Raikou, since two of its attacks are Electric type, but you still need to be careful about letting it use Bite or Roar on you, since it only takes two or three Bites to put you down, and Roar automatically makes it disappear from the game.

Mankey/Primeape

For your fight against Brock, if you opted for Charmander, Mankey can serve as a temporary ledger if you don't want to risk weathering Rock and Ground attacks to use Metal Claw. If you choose to keep it, Primeape can land hits quite well and is pretty fast, but can't take hits quite that easily. Sadly, no matter what your opinion of it is, Fighting types tend to be on the lower tier in this game, and the type tends to become a glaring weakness against Flying and Psychic types.

On another note, the Mankey family makes for a good HM slave, since it can learn Rock Smash as well as Strength, both of which are sub-par battle moves that you may need to get through dungeons.

Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam

Ever since the original Red/Blue, the Abra family has been among the most feared Pokemon of the game. Kadabra is capable of outspeeding many opponents of the same level, and its high Special Attack stat and STAB Psychic moves let it kill most of those opponents in a single attack. Along with Mewtwo, the Abra family were most responsible for the introduction of the Dark type into the game in order to nerf the Psychic type. Regardless of this, the Psychic type remains among the most powerful types in the game, still in no small part due to the Abra family, and the fact that many of the most powerful legendary Pokemon (including Deoxys) are at least part Psychic type.

In order to get one of these though, you'll have to catch one, which is much harder to accomplish here in Kanto than it is in Sinnoh (where someone practically gives you one for trade right before your first Badge battle). As only Abra is available for capture until you reach Unknown Dungeon, you'll learn to pray and hope for luck in order to get one of these things. At the same level as your Pokemon, Abra is still capable of outspeeding you, and always uses Teleport in order to run away, so the only way to catch one is by using Paralyze or Sleep, then whittling it down and tossing a ball at it in the fewest moves possible. Even if you do somehow catch one, the fun's not over. As Abra doesn't learn any new moves until level 16, when it evolves into Kadabra, you'll have to put it in front of your party or use an Exp. Share in order to get it to level up, which can be frustrating. But when it does evolve, you'll basically be laying waste to all your oponents with this thing, especially if you can get it several levels ahead of your opponents. Used properly, Kadabra is capable of wiping out entire teams without breaking a sweat, since it almost always moves first, and hits hard. If you can manage to find a friend and trade to get an Alakazam, it gets even more fun, since Alakazam is better than Kadara in every way.

The problem is, if you don't get that first hit in and kill your target, then you stand a good chance of getting taken out right then and there. Both Kadabra and Alakazam have extremely low HP and Defense, so anything that manages to use a Physical move on them stands a good chance of one-shotting them. While they can weather Special attacks slightly better, slightly better than crap isn't very encouraging, so it's a good choice not to take that risk and withdraw them if you don't think they can kill their opponent in one attack.

One more note: your Rival starts carrying a member of the Abra family once you meet him in Cerulean, so even if you don't want to raise one, it's a good idea to at least come up with some plans to counter one of these powerhouses.

Magnemite/Magneton

Provided that you're patient enough to wait until you reach the Power Plant to invest in an Electric type Pokemon, Magneton can be a good choice. The Magnemite family is the only Pokemon of the original 151 that gains an additional type, the Steel Type. If you've ever used one (Empoleon comes to mind), you'll now that they are extremely good at laughing away almost every attack type in the game, which is reason enough to raise one. Plus, Magneton comes with an extremely respectable Special Attack base, so it can lay waste to opponents quite easily with Electric attacks.

On the flip side, its defenses and HP take some coaxing to get up to speed, and it's not very fast either. Just put some attention into its Special Defense and HP, and you should be fine. but be wary of the Steel type's weaknesses, since its Ground weakness doubles up with that of Electricity, so be extremely careful around that; there's no Magnet Rise in Gen III, so you can't take advantage of it.

Unfortunately, Magneton's move pool also takes a bit of investing, since its most powerful learned Electric move, Zap Cannon, is only base 100 and has a horrible 50% hit ratio, so if you opt for it or Thunder, be sure to learn Lock On as well. But if you want the easy way out, buy Thunderbolt at the Game Corner and use that, and Magneton will be able to take out opponents quite easily.

Farfetch'd

Desite its mediocre stats, Farfetch'd is relatively worth raising as a mid-game Pokemon, largely because it comes with a Stick when you trade for it, and it can learn Swords Dance. The Stick makes it fairly easy to land critical hits, and in combination with Swords Dance, lets you set up and take out various opponents without much trouble. While it's not really useful in the long run, it is fairly capable as an HM slave, as it learns Cut and Fly, and gets STAB with both of those in case you need it.

Gastly/Haunter/Gengar

While often put in opposition next to the Abra family, the Gastly family is not quite as useful in this generation. The reason for this is because Ghost is a Physical type in this game, which means that you can't take advantage of STAB attacks (of which there are very few until Shadow Ball comes in Gen IV) and their respectable Special Attack base. While you can use their abundant array of Psychic and Dark type attacks and wreak havoc on opponents, they don't have the one-shot-rape power of the Abra family. However, on the flip side, they laugh at Normal and Fighting moves, which don't affect them at all, and they're also a bit more defensively stable than their Psychic counterparts. Also, these Pokemon can learn Hypnosis, which is extremely useful both for fighting enemy teams and for capturing wild Pokemon.

The down side, though, is that these Pokemon have Poison as a second type, which means that Psychic type attacks can rip through them very easily, despite their Ghost advantage. Unfortunately, Misdreavus and Banette aren't in this game, so you can't use them insead. But on the other hand, Levitate means that you don't have to worry about Ground attacks either.

Chansey

Chances are that you've heard of SkarmBliss or CressBliss before; Blissey makes up the latter half of both of those phrases, and it evolves from Chansey. In Competitive battling, Blissey has proven to be one of the most overused Pokemon (next to Garchomp) due to its massive HP stat and sizeable Special Defense. Chansey shares these traits with Blissey, and in this game, it can wall off Special attacks with next to no effort, and recover easily using Softboiled.

However, since the main storyline is not Competitive, Chansey sees very little actual use on these types of teams. Its offensive and speed stats are pitiful, which means that it can't kill anything, all it can do is sit there and take it (which, while lauded in Competitive, is much less useful in our case). Plus, it can't take Physical attacks all that well either, so that can be overcome fairly easily if you send it up againt the wrong opponent. Except for filling out an entry on your Pokedex, you really shouldn't have a Chansey on your team.

Magmar

Another LeafGreen exclusive (if you haven't noticed the pattern yet, the Gen III game that I own is LeafGreen), Magmar is a fairly good choice for a Pokemon if you didn't choose Charmander as your Starter. It's fast, and it can hit hard on both the Physical and Special sides if you invest in it properly. While it's not nearly as powerful as its Gen IV evolution Magmortar, it's quite capable of holding its own against many Pokemon in the game.

The down side of this Pokemon is that it can't take hits very well, especially Physical hits. More likely than not, you'll have to go in trying to take your opponent out in one shot, even if it's of a type that you're strong against. There's also the problem that by the time you can get a Magmar, the only opponent that you can use it effectively against is Lorelei, whose Pokemon often have Water mixed in as a type. But if you don't mind that, Magmar can be a great Pokemon to use.

Pinsir

As Pinsir is a LeafGreen exclusive, extremely hard to encounter, and just as difficult to catch, most people will opt not to use it (in fact, I only managed to capture it once on my Blue cartridge, and have yet to even encounter it in LeafGreen). However, it has some very respectable base stats that make investment worth it; it has massive Attack and respectable Speed, plus it takes hits rather well. On the flip side, its HP takes some investing, and it doesn't learn any moves that use STAB through leveling up. While all of its moves do take advantage of its great Attack stat, those moves don't particularly hit very hard, so you may want it to learn Swords Dance if you decide to use one. But be sure to beware of its weaknesses, as Fire can be common at times, and its Special Defense isn't quite as high as its Defense.

Magikarp/Gyarados

Magikarp is famous for being one of the hardest to raise Pokemon in the game. It doesn't learn any actual attacks until level 15, it's pathetically weak in every aspect even if it does know how to attack, and it absorbs a lot of experience per level before leveling up. In fact, before it hits level 20, Magikarp will be an absolute liability to your team, so you'd better hope that you're the patient type if you decide to raise one. However, once it does hit level 20, it'll evolve into the all-famous Gyarados.

Gyarados has often been lauded as one of the most powerful Pokemon in the game, as well as in the anime, sometimes taking a near-legendary status. Unfortunately, it comes up somewhat short in Gen III; if you want a powerhouse Gyarados, Dongle it over to D/P. The reason for this is because while it does have a fearsome Attack stat, great speed and bulkiness, and carries the ability Intimidate, its types are Water and Flying; it doesn't learn any Flying type attacks, and Water is a Special type. For that reason, using a Gyarados, you will not get any STAB bonuses on your Physical moves, and most of its better moves are TM moves. So unless you're willing to put that investment in your Gyarados, you're far better off playing a Gen IV game, where Waterfall and Aqua Tail are Physical Water moves. If you decide to raise one, avoid Electric attacks like the plague. Those attacks are capable of bringing your mighty Gyarados crashing down in a single hit before it even knows what hit it.

One last note: unless you picked Charmander, your Rival will have one of these on his team. While it does have Intimidate, you can seriously turn the tables on him by using Electricity attacks, which are Special type, and take it out easily, even without STAB.

Snorlax

While Snorlax isn't very highly lauded in Gen IV, it's an extremely useful Pokemon in Gen III, especially at the stage where you get it. If you'll recall, you get the ability to capture either of two Snorlax right after getting the Poke Flute, which comes before facing Sabrina and Koga, and Snorlax is extremely capable of laughing at either of these Gym Leaders once you get it to the proper level.

As you'll notice when fighting it, Snorlax has a massive HP stock, a high Special Defense to back it up, and can use Rest when things get dicey, so trying to kill it with Special attacks is not a very good idea. However, its base Defense isn't as high, so if you capture one, be sure to invest some EVs in that area. It's also extremely slow, and just about any opponent at any level you face will be able to attack first, but if you raise it properly, Snorlax is capable of laughing these attacks off and then returning the favor; in the case of Sabrina, you can effectively wall off her Psychic attacks, and return the favor with Physical STAB Normal type attacks, the bane of any Psychic Pokemon.

Snorlax comes with one of two abilities, Immunity or Thick Fat. Immunity prevents poisoning, which lets you steamroll over Koga with no effort, while Thick Fat halves Ice and Fire type attacks, which may become useful against Blaine and Lorelei. Either way, a properly raised Snorlax can become a real monster that can blow away its enemies at its own pace.

Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres

When you capture one of these things, it's really hard to resist the temptation to use it on your team and wipe the floor with everything you encounter; hell, I used all three of the legendary birds back on my Blue cartridge and basically coasted through the rest of the game with no effort (though Moltres seemed to underperform for some reason). The real trick is to capture them though; there's only one each of these per game, and they're extremely hard to capture if you don't have enough patience or pack enough Ultra Balls for the job, all the while they're raping your team senseless with their attacks. Plus, once you do capture one, there's the question of whether you want to use it here or Dongle it to D/P, where applicable; while they will make playing through the remainder of the story child's play, they also have their value in D/P as well.

Articuno is a monster when used against Lance, since it can rape every single one of his Dragon Pokemon senseless with STAB Ice Beam backed by its respectable Special Attack, and laugh at almost anything that they throw back in return. Zapdos can utterly destroy Lorelei's team with its massive Special Attack and STAB Electric attacks, since most of Lorelei's Pokemon are part Water type. Moltres is also capable of taking out much of whatever opposes it, though it doesn't really carry any type advantages against most of the Elite Four.

Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite

Next to the Larvitar family, the Dratini family is the only other Pseudo-Legendary Pokemon family in this game, as well as the only one available before the Elite Four. It's extremely hard to find and catch Dratini, and almost as hard to raise it to level 55. Is the investment worth it? Both yes and no; Dragonite can be a real powerhouse in the right hands, and its monster base stats make it extremely tough to take on, but one of its greatest weaknesses in this generation is that the Dragon type is a Special type, which means that you can't really take advantage of its massive Attack stat and rape your opponents with Dragon attacks. The flip side is that its Special Attack stat isn't all that bad, so using Dragon attacks will have a noticeable effect on your opponents, even without using its monster Attack stat.

Gen IV really does turn Dragonite into a monster Pokemon, since many Dragon attacks become Physical and it can take advantage of them with STAB, plus Outrage gets a damage buff. Sadly, this isn't Gen IV, so you'll just have to deal with it. Also, remember to avoid Ice type attacks, as those can put Dragonite down really fast.

Mewtwo

Uber Mega Pokemon of Death and Destruction? Why yes, please.

Long considered the absolute most powerful Pokemon of all time (and rightfully so), Mewtwo is capable of taking out entire teams in a row with no effort at all, and this at the level that you catch it at! With the absolute highest Special Attack of the original 151 Pokemon (only surpassed by Attack Forme Deoxys when all Pokemon are counted), and the Speed to back it up, Mewtwo is capable of one-shotting almost every Pokemon in the game if used right, and even if it somehow doesn't, it has enough durability to laugh away most attacks.

Of course, in the event that you actually do decide to use Mewtwo, you'll have to capture it first. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear until you can reach the Unknown Dungeon, which you can only access at the very end of the game, long after you've already beaten virtually every worthy opponent (and even if you decide to trade for it early in your game, it only obeys you after you get all 8 badges). And if you opt not to use the Master Ball, Mewtwo will absolutely rape your team senseless as you attempt to capture it. As the Legendary Beasts didn't appear in Gen I, capturing Mewtwo in Red/Blue simply involved the act of tossing your Master Ball at it, problem solved. But if you do choose to capture Mewtwo using conventional methods, expect to have to reset several times.

Fin
    Last edited by bobandbill; 14th July 2011 at 3:21 PM.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

FR/LG Hidden Items Guide

By s.i.e.

hidden Item Guide:
    You can find 15 of the first 20 Berries as hidden items in Pokemon FireRed and Pokemon LeafGreen. Actually, you can detect the "hidden" Berries without using the Itemfinder if needed. There is a seeable difference in the grass at the exact spot where a hidden berry is located. It looks like a darkened oval, possibly giving the appearance of a depression in the grass.

Here are the 15 Berries plus their locations:

1) Cheri - SS. Anne, Route 10, Sevault Canyon
    2) Chesto - SS. Anne, Route 9, Berry Forest
    3) Pecha - Route 24, S. S. Anne, Berry Forest
    4) Rawst - Route 8, Berry Forest, Canyon Entrance
    5) Aspear - Route 23, Water Path
    6) Leppa - Route 8, Route 23, Six Island
    7) Oran - Route 3, Route 25, Water Path
    8) Persim - Route 4, Route 10
    9) Lum - Route 8, Route 23
    10) Sitrus - Route 6, Route 23, Memorial Pilla
    16) Razz - Route 4, Berry Forest, Memorial Pillar
    17) Bluk - Route 25, Memorial Pillar
    18) Nanab - Route 10, Berry Forest, Trainer Tower
    19) Wepear - Route 7
    20) Pinap - Route 14, Water Path

HIDDEN ITEM LOCATIONS:
    You don't have to use the Itemfinder to obtain the hidden items. As long as
    you know the exact location of an item, you can face the spot and press the "A" button to get the item.

Here are the locations of hidden items (do know that only the places that has items are listed, the rest has nothing):

Pallet Town:
    N/A

Route 1:
    N\A

Viridian City:
    You can find a Macho Brace in the Gym, in the spot where the Gym Leader was standing. If you want to obtain this item, you must use the Itemfinder while standing on the exact spot where the Gym Leader was standing.

Route 2:
    N/A

Viridian Forest:
    You can find an antidote at the tree right in front of the entrance.

There's also a Potion near the northwest corner in a grass patch next to the trees in the same row as the final trainer.

Pewter City:
    There is a poke ball to be found in the northwest corner in the middle of the light colored grass.

Route 3:
    On this route there is an Oran Berry hidden to the west, near the trainer wearing a yellow hat that is looking to the left.

Route 4:
    There is a Persim Berry in the northwest corner lying between three rocks, to the left side of the Pokemon Center.

There's even Great Ball after Mt. Moon, in the corner just to the left of the mega punch Kick tutors.

There's also Razz Berry after Mt. Moon, near the center, to the south, close to the the trees.

Mt. Moon:
    There's a tinymushroom on BF1 after going down the first ladder, at a rock near the corner.

There's a Big Mushroom on BF1 after going down the first ladder, at a rock near the ladder going down.

There's a another Big Mushroom on BF1 after going down the first ladder, at a rock near the ladder going down.

There's a Tinymushroom on BF1 after going down the second ladder, at a rock near the ladder going up.

There's an Ether on BF2 after going down the second ladder, at a lone rock, past the team rocket Grunt.

There's a Big Mushroom on BF1 after going down the final ladder, at a rock near the corner.

There's a Moon Stone on BF2 after going down the final ladder, at a rock to the right, just before the steps leading to the two fossils.

And there's a Tinymushroom on BF1 in a rock, near the ladder going up to the exit.

Cerulean City:
    Here is a Rare Candy to be found near the northwest corner, between two flowers. Walk through the Badge Master's house.

Route 24:
    You can find Pecha Berry near the northeast corner, next to where Route 25 begins, to the left of the grass patches.

Route 25:
    There's am Elixir near the northwest corner, next to the wall and a green bush, northeast of Hiker Franklin.

There's a Oran Berry near the middle, in a corner made by three green bushes.

There's a Bluk Berry near two flowers and the white fence of Bill's house.

You can find an Ether near the northeast corner in the grass a couple steps away from the white fences.

Route 5:
    N/A

Underground Path (5-6):

For some unknown reason items will not appear in this section until you visited the S.S. Anne.

There's an Antidote near the northern steps.

There's a Parlyz Heal near the northern edge of the blue stripes.

There's a Awakening in the middle of the blue floor, near the left wall.

You can find a Potion near the northern edge of the red stripes.

You can find Ice Heal about halfway between the red stripes and the southern steps near the right wall.

There's a Burn Heal near the southern steps.

Route 6:
    You can find a Rare Candy in the northeast corner, next to the white fence.

There's also Sitrus Berry to be found in the northwest corner, next to the white fence.

Vermilion City:
    There's a Max Ether near the northwest corner, at the corner of the land,
    immediately south of the Pokemon Center.

S.S. Anne:
    There's a Hyper Potion downstairs, in a bucket near the stairs.

There's a Pecha Berry in a trash can in the kitchen.
    There's also Cheri Berry in a trash can in the kitchen.
    Plus a Chesto Berry in a trash can in the kitchen.

Diglett's Cave:
    N/A

Route 11:
    There's a Escape Rope hidden in the northeast corner, in the rock.

Route 9:
    You can find an Ether near the western end, in a rock below the grass patches.

There's a Chesto Berry near the northeast corner, next to the wall, to the left of Hiker Brice.

There's also a Rare Candy to be found at the northeast corner, one step away from the two walls.

Route 10:
    There's a Super Potion in the wall, next to the Pokemon Center, after cutting down the tree.

There's a Persim Berry in the southeast corner, next to the white fences.

There's a Cheri Berry near the center, just northwest of Picnicker Heidi.

Plus there's a Nanab Berry after Rock Tunnel, near the corner east of Rock Tunnel's exit.

And there's a Max Ether to the right of the Power Plant entrance.

Rock Tunnel:
    N/A

Lavender Town:
    N/A

Pokemon Tower:
    There's a Big Mushroom on the fifth floor, in the northwest corner, beyond Channeler Ruth.

You can find a Soothe Bell on the top floor, in the spot where Mr. Fuji was found. to get this item you must use the Itemfinder while standing in the exact spot where Mr. Fuji was standing.

Route 8:
    There's a Leppa Berry near the center, in the grass patches, to the lower right.

There's a Rawst Berry near the center, in the grass patches, to the upper right.

And also a Lum Berry near the center, in the grass patches, to the upper left.

Underground Path (7-8):

You can find an Ether near the third light from the east, next to the upper wall.

These other items do not appear until after finishing the Rocket
    Warehouse:

There's a Potion halfway between the first two lights from the west, on the red stripe.

There's a Parlyz Heal halfway between the second and third lights from the west, next to the south wall.

There's a Awakening near the fourth light from the west, on the blue stripe.

There's a Burn Heal to the left of the fourth light from the east, on the red stripe.

There's a Antidote halfway between the second and third lights from the east, next to the south wall.

And there's an Ice Heal to the right of the second light from the east, on the red stripe.

Route 7:
    There's a Wepear Berry, near the southeast corner.

Celadon City:
    There's a PP Up on the eastern side, next to the trees, to the northeast of a tree that can be cut.

There are 10 Coins in the Game Corner, near the northwest corner, next to the counter.

There are 10 Coins in the Game Corner, in the west aisle, on the ground a step behind the woman.

There are 20 Coins in the Game Corner, near the southwest corner, on the ground near the end of the west aisle.

There are 10 Coins in the Game Corner, on the ground a couple steps northwest of the entrance.

There are 10 Coins in the Game Corner, in the middle aisle, on the ground behind the old man.

There are 20 Coins in the Game Corner, on the ground near the northern end of the middle aisle.

There are 10 Coins in the Game Corner, on the ground next to the corner of the counter.

There are 10 Coins in the Game Corner, near the northeast corner, on the ground next to the separating wall.

There are another 10 Coins to be found in the Game Corner, near the northeast corner, on the ground next to the separating wall.

There are 40 Coins in the Game Corner, near the northeast corner, on the ground between the separating wall and a slot machine.

There are 100 Coins in the Game Corner, near the southeast corner, a step away from the Pokemon Printer.

There are 10 Coins in the Game Corner, on the ground a couple steps northeast of the entrance.

Team Rocket Hideout:
    There's a PP Up on B1F, south of the entrance, in a plant in the southeast corner.

There's a Nugget on B3F, in the northwest corner.

There's a Net Ball on B4F, in Giovanni's office, between the two plants on the left.

There's a Nest Ball on B4F, in Giovanni's office, between the two plants on the right.

Route 16:
    You an find the item Leftovers near the northeast corner, in the spot where Snorlax slept. to obtain this item, you must use the Itemfinder while standing in the exact spot where Snorlax was sleeping.

Route 17:
    There's a Full Restore near the center, on the yellow path, to the left of the
    northernmost sign, next to the water.

There's a PP Up near the center, in the middle of the left bike path, directly west of the second sign from the north (on the yellow path).

You can find a Rare Candy near the center, in the middle of the right bike path, directly east of the third sign from the north (on the yellow path).

There's a Max Revive near the southern end, in the middle of the left bike path, directly west of the sign that sais: "Don't throw the game"

There's a Max Elixir at the southern end, just above the "cliff," three spots to the right of the sign (on the left edge of the right bike path).

Route 18:
    N/A

Fuchsia City:
    There's a Max Revive near the southeast corner, behind the Warden's house, next to two flowers. Walk through the Fishing Guru's older brother's house.

Safari Zone:
    There's a Leaf Stone to be found in the entrance area, on the island in the center.

Route 12:
    There's a Hyper Potion near the center, in the middle of a rectangle of grass.

You can find Leftovers near the center in the spot where Snorlax slept. In order to get this item, you must use the Itemfinder while standing in the exact spot where Snorlax slept.

There's a Rare Candy in the southwest corner, in the middle of a rectangle of grass patches.

Route 13:
    You can find a PP Up near the center next to the end of the southern hedge, in the fence opening, southwest of Picnicker Gwen.

Route 14:
    You can find a Zinc near the northwest corner, in the middle of a rectangle of grass patches.

There's also Pinap Berry in the southeast corner.

Route 15:
    N/A

Saffron City:
    There's a Nugget near the northwest corner, in the Mimic Tutor's room, next to her computer.

Silph Co:
    There's a Ultra Ball on the second floor, in the southwest office, in a plant in the corner.

There's a Protein on the third floor, in the southeast corner, in the middle plant.

There's an Iron on the fourth floor, in the plant in the southeast corner.

There's a PP Up on the fifth floor, in the plant near the northeast corner.

There's a Elixir on the fifth floor, in the center room, in the southern plant.

There's an Carbos on the sixth floor, in the northwest room, in the left plant.

There's a Zinc on the seventh floor, in the northeast office, in the southern plant.

There's a Nugget on the eighth floor, in the eastern room, in the northern plant.

There's a Max Potion on the ninth floor near the southwest corner, in the small room next to the bed area, in the space next to the boxes.

There's a Calcium on the ninth floor, in the western room, in the plant on the right.

There's a HP Up on the tenth floor, in the northeast room, in the plant.

There's a Revive on the eleventh floor, outside the Silph president's office, in the middle plant.

Power Plant:
    There's a Max Elixir near the center, in a room with three machines, in front of the machine on the right.

There's a Thunderstone near the northwest corner, in the room where Zapdos sits, in front of the turbine.

Route 19:
    N/A

Route 20:
    N/A

Seafoam Islands:
    There's a Nugget on B3F, on the west side, in the northern rock.

There's a Water Stone on B4F, near the center, near the ladder, in the rock of the left.

Cinnabar Island:
    N/A

Pokemon Mansion:
    There's a Moon Stone in the entrance hallway, on the left, in a small rock.

There's a Rare Candy on the third floor, against the east wall, directly east of Scientist what'shisname.

There's aElixir in the basement, in the northeast room, directly east of the Abra statue, a step away from the wall.

One Island:
    N/A

Treasure Beach:
    There's a Ultra Ball in the "sand," to the northeast, near the end of the green
    grass design.

There's a Star Piece near the southeast corner, in the "sand," a step away from the wall.

There's a Ultra Ball in the southeast corner.

There's a Big Pearl near the southwest corner, in the "sand," near the corner of the rockwall.

Kindle Road:
    N/A

Ember Spa:
    N/A

Mt. Ember:
    There's a Ultra Ball on the west side, near Ranger Logan, at the end of a
    dead end path.

There's a Fire Stone near the northwest corner, before the Mountain Top, in a rock.

Two Island:
    N/A

Cape Brink:

There is a Rare Candy in the northeast corner, behind the house.

And there is a PP Max on the east side, on a single "piece" of land accessible by Surf.

Three Island Port:
    N/A

Three Isle Path:
    After entering the Hall of Fame you can find a Nugget in a rock at the bottom of the stairs.

Three Island:
    There's a PP Up near the northwest corner, next to the fence corner, at the end of a dead end path (enter the path from Bond Bridge).

Bond Bridge:
    There's a Max Repel near the center, northwest of Aroma Lady Violet, in a rock.

There's a Pearl to the right of the bridge, in the southern corner of the "sand."

There's a Stardust to the left of the bridge, in the northern corner of the "sand."

Berry Forest:
    There's a Razz Berry near the center, in a corner of trees.

There's a Chesto Berry in the northeast corner.

There's a Rawst Berry near the northwest corner, near the Max Ether.

There's a Nanab Berry near the center, in a corner of trees.

There's a Pecha Berry near the southwest corner, between the waters.

Route 21:
    N/A

Route 22:
    N/A

Route 23:
    There's a Leppa Berry after the Thunderbadge Gate, to the left, near the trees.

There's a Max Ether after the Soulbadge Gate, in the middle of the square "sandbar."

There's a Ultra Ball after the Marshbadge Gate, to the right, in the wall between two statues.

There's a Aspear Berry after the Marshbadge Gate, to the left, in the middle of some grass.

There's a Full Restore after the Volcanobadge Gate, in the corner to the right, in a rock.

There's a Sitrus Berry after the Earthbadge Gate, in the corner to the left, just before the entrance to Victory Road.

There's a Lum Berry after Victory Road, in the corner to the left.

There's a Max Elixer after Victory Road, near the northwest corner, at the end of a dead end path on the left.

Victory Road:
    There's a Full Restore on the ground floor, in the northeast corner, in a rock.

There's a Ultra Ball on the ground floor, near the center, southwest of Cooltrainer Naomi, in a rock.

Indigo Plateau:
    N/A

Four Island:
    There's a Ultra Ball near the southwest corner, in the "sand," northwest of the stairs.

Icefall Cave:
    N/A

Five Island:
    N/A

Five Isle Meadow:
    N/A

Rocket Warehouse:

There's a Net Ball near the center, in a solitary box (not touching anything else).

There's a Nest Ball in the northeast corner.

Memorial Pillar:
    There's a Razz Berry near the northeast corner, near Bird Keeper Milo.

There's a Sitrus Berry near the center, southeast of Bird Keeper Chaz.

There's a Bluk Berry near the center, northwest of Bird Keeper Harold.

Water Labyrinth:
    N/A

Resort Gorgeous:
    There's a Stardust near the center, in the "sand," southeast of Lady Jacki.

There's another Stardust near the center, in the "sand," northeast of Lady Jacki.

Lost Cave:
    N/A

Six Island:

There's a Leppa Berry in the northwest corner, behind the Pokemon Center.

Water Path:
    There's a Pinap Berry to the south, in the middle of grass patches.

There's a Aspear Berry near the south end, in the middle of grass patches.

There's a Oran Berry near the north end, in the grass, north of the Heracross
    woman's house.

Ruin Valley:
    N/A

Dotted Hole:
    N/A

Pattern Bush:
    N/A

Green Path:
    There's a Ultra Ball near the southwest corner, in the island "sand," next to
    Psychic Jaclyn.

Outcast Island:
    N/A

Altering Cave:
    N/A

Seven Island:
    N/A

Trainer Tower:
    There's a Nanab Berry near the southeast corner, just north of the Pokemon Center.

There's a Pearl near the southwest corner, directly to the west of the sign, in the "sand."

Canyon Entrance:
    There's a Rawst Berry near the southwest corner, northeast of Young Couple Eve & Jon.

Sevault Canyon:
    There's Cheri Berry near the south end, southeast of Cooltrainer Michelle.

Tanoby Key:
    N/A

Tanoby Ruins:
    N/A

Cerulean Cave:

There's a Ultra Ball on the first floor, near the northwest corner, a step to the right of a ladder going up.

============HIDDEN ITEMS=============

Here is the list of the hidden items along with their locations:

Health Items:

Antidote:
    Viridian Forest, Underground Path (5-6), Underground Path (7-8)

Awakening:
    Underground Path (5-6), Underground Path (7-8)

Burn Heal:

Elixir:
    Route 25, Silph Co., Pokemon Mansion

Ether:
    Mt. Moon, Route 25, Route 9, Underground Path (7-8)

Full Restore:
    Route 17, Route 23, Victory Road

Hyper Potion - S. S. Anne, Route 12

Ice Heal:

Max Elixir:
    Route 17, Power Plant, Route 23

Max Ether:
    Vermilion City, Route 10, Route 23

Max Potion:
    Silph Co.

Max Revive:
    Route 17, Fuchsia City

Parlyz Heal:

Potion:
    Viridian Forest, Underground Path (5-6), Underground Path (7-8)

Revive:
    Silph Co.

Super Potion:Route 10

Balls:
    Great Ball - Route 4

Nest Ball:
    Rocket Hideout, Rocket Warehouse

Net Ball:
    Rocket Hideout, Rocket Warehouse

Poke Ball:
    Pewter City

Ultra Ball:
    Silph Co., Treasure Beach (2), Mt. Ember, Route 23, Victory Road, Four Island, Green Path, Cerulean Cave

Helpful Items:

Escape Rope:
    Route 11

Max Repel:
    Bond Bridge

Skill Items:
    Calcium:
    Silph Co.

Carbos:
    Silph Co.

HP Up:
    Silph Co.

Iron:
    Silph Co.

PP Max:
    Cape Brink

PP Up:
    Celadon City, Rocket Hideout, Route 17, Route 13, Silph Co, Three Island

Protein:
    Silph Co.

Rare Candy:
    Cerulean City, Route 6, Route 9, Route 17, Route 12, PokemonMansion, Cape Brink

Zinc:
    Route 14, Silph Co.

Evolution Items:
    Fire Stone - Mt. Ember
    Leaf Stone - Safari Zone
    Moon Stone - Mt. Moon, Pokemon Mansion
    Thunderstone - Power Plant
    Water Stone - Seafoam Islands

Hold Items:
    Leftovers - Route 16, Route 12
    Macho Brace - Viridian City
    Soothe Bell - Pokemon Tower

Exchange Items:
    Big Mushroom - Mt. Moon (3), Pokemon Tower
    Coins - Celadon City (260)
    Tinymushroom - Mt. Moon (3)

Value Items:
    Big Pearl - Treasure Beach
    Nugget - Rocket Hideout, Saffron City, Silph Co., Seafoam Islands, Three Isle Path
    Pearl - Bond Bridge, Trainer Tower
    Star Piece - Treasure Beach
    Stardust - Bond Bridge, Resort Gorgeous (2)

The BBS Forums! Join in!

I was wondering, can I get a Light Ball in FireRed?
    Well met, friend! This is my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by PKMN Trainer Rex View Post
    I was wondering, can I get a Light Ball in FireRed?
    I think the only way to get one on Fire Red would be to trade one from RSE, because it doesn`t seem like wild Pikachu can hold Light Balls in FRLG.

I saw that too, thanks you the help though.

Default What happened??!!

Well... I've completed FireRed's 1st part, I mean, I have beaten the Elite 4, got the Ruby and the Sapphire and I'm now breeding to get a few good pokemon.
    A while ago I was playing and I got out of the boat that leads to the Sevii Islands in Vermilion and right next to Vermilion's PC, there was a Prof.Oak's Aide... That never happened to me before (seeing an Aide there) but I talked to him and he asked me if I had already talked with the other Aide near Route 2. I flew to Pewter City to see what he was talking about and I saved there because my mom called me to dinner. When I came back I found only the Flash Aide that didn't tell me nothing new so I flew back to Vermilion to check if I got the Route right but the other Aide wasn't there this time.
    What the heck happened?!

Moved to the Help thread as that's where questions go. Can't say I know though but maybe in-between you added some more Pokemon to your dex? There's a few of them in Kanto and they give you stuff when you hit a certain Dex number; maybe he's just a guy to remind you to find the other Aides for said stuff? And hence disappears once you do so. Someone else would need to confirm that theory though.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Yes but isn't the last reward the Exp.Share? I already had that when he talked to me...

So I didn't see this question in here, so I shall ask.

In Fire Red/Leaf Green(I have Fire Red - yay!~), how do you tell the happiness of your Pokemon? I've had one of my friends try and explain it, but it didn't work out too well, and Google gave us some...crap information. So. How can you tell the happiness of your Pokemon? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu-Adelinde View Post
    So I didn't see this question in here, so I shall ask.

In Fire Red/Leaf Green(I have Fire Red - yay!~), how do you tell the happiness of your Pokemon? I've had one of my friends try and explain it, but it didn't work out too well, and Google gave us some...crap information. So. How can you tell the happiness of your Pokemon? :P
    I just use an item on my Pokemon. The closer they get to the screen the happier they are. Or you could go to Daisy in Pallet Town, she'll also groom them too.

Okay, thanks! How do I get Daisy to groom them?

She usually does it automatically. But I started to use her in the post game to raise my Togepi's happiness. So I don't know if you have to be at a certain point in the game to activate it.

If I have a caterpie, and I prevent her from evolving till level 11, will she evolve to metapod at 12 and then butterfree at 13? Thanks!

Okay, so I'm trying to catch Entei now. I have a lv25 Wobbuffet and I'm leveling her up to get her to at least 35. She has Shadow Tag. Will that help prevent Entei from fleeing? I'm getting REALLY close to just restarting my whole game and instead of using the Master Ball on Mewtwo, using it on Entei. PLEASE tell me that Shadow Tag will work. ;; If not, I'm just going to give up on finding Entei. He's pissing me off so much.
    [EDIT] I did the Repel for finding/catching Entei - I've figured out how to track him, and I realized that after I started doing that....apparently he "learned" to stay away from there and keeps going back to two other routes when I do that. So I've given up on doing Route 7/Repel. D:
    Last edited by Lulu-Adelinde; 5th October 2011 at 7:07 AM.

Okay, so I'm trying to catch Entei now. I have a lv25 Wobbuffet and I'm leveling her up to get her to at least 35. She has Shadow Tag. Will that help prevent Entei from fleeing? I'm getting REALLY close to just restarting my whole game and instead of using the Master Ball on Mewtwo, using it on Entei. PLEASE tell me that Shadow Tag will work. ;; If not, I'm just going to give up on finding Entei. He's pissing me off so much.
    [EDIT] I did the Repel for finding/catching Entei - I've figured out how to track him, and I realized that after I started doing that....apparently he "learned" to stay away from there and keeps going back to two other routes when I do that. So I've given up on doing Route 7/Repel. D:
    The legendary dogs have roar, which I'm pretty sure "negates" Shadow Tag, so watch out.

Roamers always move to another route after you find them. To find one, stand at the "border" of either two routes or a town & route. Then keep walking back and forth between them, and check the dex for their location. Once you two end up in the same area, use the repel for an encounter. Here's where I suggest you just use the masterball on Entei (if you haven't caught Mewtwo already). Then catch Mewtwo using an army Ultraballs and such, and every time you K.O it (Mewtwo), either turn the game off and on or SR it. But be sure you save RIGHT BEFORE you attempt to catch Mewtwo.

If you need clarification, I'll be happy to do it.

The legendary dogs have roar, which I'm pretty sure "negates" Shadow Tag, so watch out.

Roamers always move to another route after you find them. To find one, stand at the "border" of either two routes or a town & route. Then keep walking back and forth between them, and check the dex for their location. Once you two end up in the same area, use the repel for an encounter. Here's where I suggest you just use the masterball on Entei (if you haven't caught Mewtwo already). Then catch Mewtwo using an army Ultraballs and such, and every time you K.O it (Mewtwo), either turn the game off and on or SR it. But be sure you save RIGHT BEFORE you attempt to catch Mewtwo.

If you need clarification, I'll be happy to do it.
    I've already caught Mewtwo. D: I was told to use my Masterball on Mewtwo, so I did. I've got Timer Balls and such, and I also have a huge army of Ultra Balls and Great Balls. This had better work. D< If it doesn't, I'll probably go crazy and just....totally reset the whole game.
    I don't want to, though. I've gotten about 181 hours as well as 128 Pokemon(and a lot more that I have yet to breed/evolve/etc). -sighs heavily-

I've already caught Mewtwo. D: I was told to use my Masterball on Mewtwo, so I did. I've got Timer Balls and such, and I also have a huge army of Ultra Balls and Great Balls. This had better work. D< If it doesn't, I'll probably go crazy and just....totally reset the whole game.
    I don't want to, though. I've gotten about 181 hours as well as 128 Pokemon(and a lot more that I have yet to breed/evolve/etc). -sighs heavily-
    I know, I have an extra Diamond and Platinum (wrong section to mention them ), and I have a lot of Pokemon that I don't want to delete.

But anyways back on topic. It's gonna be hard, but its possible. Just gotta be persistent.

I know, I have an extra Diamond and Platinum (wrong section to mention them ), and I have a lot of Pokemon that I don't want to delete.

But anyways back on topic. It's gonna be hard, but its possible. Just gotta be persistent.
    [EDIT] ....fml. Entei used Roar. ;; -cries loudly-

Mind if I add you?
    Last edited by Lulu-Adelinde; 5th October 2011 at 8:47 AM.

Is it possible to catch Pikachu with Light Ball in FR/LG?
    Pokémon Black FC:3783-0994-7933
    Pokémon SoulSilver FC: 3052-6932-7641
    Pokémon Black2 FC:4041-9290-8959

Quote Originally Posted by Sceprile View Post
    Is it possible to catch Pikachu with Light Ball in FR/LG?
    Pikachu doesn't hold Light Ball in the wild in Pokemon LG/FR.
    "Heart + Determination + Perserverence = Success" ™

My Philosophical quote on goals and dreams.

Ok, so just turned on my FireRed today after about 2 years of not playing it. I need to complete the Sevii islands thing, and apparently get the National Dex, and I have no frickin clue where to begin because my memory of doing this in LeafGreen has completely faded. I do have the 'tri pass', and have completed the Elite Four, but when I visit the guy in the PKMN centre of the 1st island he doesn't say much useful in the way of pointing me in the direction of a quest...

Can someone direct me to a simple walkthrough that covers the Sevii islands, and tell me how to get the National Dex?

EDIT: thanks G50
    Last edited by SasakiThePikachu; 31st March 2012 at 8:21 PM.
    - Hiatus Notice -

I'm sorry to do this, but I won't be posting in the Serebii Discussion Forums anymore. My account here will remain open for trading/chatting with friends, but please be patient for a reply as my visits here will be fewer.

I've left for the greener pastures of Bulbagarden Forums, where free speech is still allowed and the rules are followed by all, including those who enforce them.

It's been a fun 3 years ~

Quote Originally Posted by SasakiThePikachu View Post
    Ok, so just turned on my FireRed today after about 2 years of not playing it. I need to complete the Sevii islands thing, and apparently get the National Dex, and I have no frickin clue where to begin because my memory of doing this in LeafGreen has completely faded. I do have the 'tri pass', and have completed the Elite Four, but when I visit the guy in the PKMN centre of the 1st island he doesn't say much useful in the way of pointing me in the direction of a quest...

Can someone direct me to a simple walkthrough that covers the Sevii islands, and tell me how to get the National Dex?
    http://www.serebii.net/red_green/mystery-island.shtml

To get the National Pokedex, You need to register 60 Pokemon on your Pokedex (caught and seen). Plus have defeated the Elite 4 which you have done already.
    "Heart + Determination + Perserverence = Success" ™

My Philosophical quote on goals and dreams.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast