Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: FRLG Help/FAQ Discussion Thread

Thank you for the reply. I may have phrased my second question wrongly. When I was talking about Normal type moves, I meant the ones that do damage. These, while they can get STAB damage, if used by a normal type pokemon, can never be super effective against any pokemon type. Therefore, I am not allowed to use them. Status moves cannot get STAB damage, because, well, they aren't doing any damage in the first place. I was not aware of the Hoenn pokemon abilities you mentioned, though. Thanks a lot for the info!

A few more questions, if I may:
    1) Let's say I want to catch Chansey. I saw on Bulbapedia, and here on serebii, that she is located in Safari zone. She has 1% probability to appear in the Entrance area, and 4% in Area 2. Now, according to this article http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...neration_III_2, on FireRed, we have the following pokemon in Area 2:

a) Nidoran (male) - 20%
    b) Exeggcute - 20%
    c) Rhyhorn - 20%
    d) Paras - 15%
    e) Nidorino - 10%
    f) Nidorina - 5%
    g) Venomoth - 5%
    h) Chansey - 4%
    i) Tauros - 1%

Chansey comes at level 26. So, if I have a lv 26 Pokemon as the first pokemon in the party, and I use repel, naturally, every pokemon below level 26 won't appear. My question is, how will the % chances get distributed if I use repel?. Will they get distributed equally for the rest of the pokemon that are above level 26, or will they go towards a specific pokemon? (ie, will every pokemon equal to/above lv 26 get a slight boost in % chance of appearing, or will all this % chance go to one pokemon?)

My 2nd question is rather simple: What do I need in terms of games, consoles, and extra accessories, in order to complete the National Pokedex at least up to Generation 4 (up to HG/SS)? What's the least amount of the above that I can buy and still be able to fully complete it (mostly by trading with myself, and getting the event legendaries from GTS trades). Last but not least, is there an active trading community going, in order to trade valuable items/pokemon that aren't obtainable anymore? (eg. Mystery Gift event tickets for Deoxys/Mew, or event pokemon like Celebi/Arceus in HG, etc)

Thanks in advance and sorry for the huge post.

EDIT: Will I have any problems if I buy US region games? (I am from Greece, Europe)
    Last edited by JamesCivFan; 16th June 2013 at 7:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCivFan View Post
    Hello, longtime lurker in these forums and longtime pokemon fan, since the first games.

I decided to play Pokemon again after a few years, and I bought FireRed and LeafGreen on my old GBA. I am aware of the changes and everything compared to the old classics, but I would like to ask a few questions that I haven't found the answers to, yet, by searching in these forums.

1) Do stacked damage modifiers apply to the base damage, or to the already modified damage?

For example, according to bulbapedia, my Tentacruel gets STAB damage with Surf, meaning that its power goes from 95 to 95 x 1.5 = 142.5 power. Now, if I equip Mystic Water, will the x1.2 damage apply to that 142.5 power, equalling 142.5 x 1.2 = 171 power, which gets doubled if it's super effective?

2) Also, I am thinking of doing a rather... odd playthrough.

The main rule of that would be to only use STAB moves, and preferably to try and be type advantageous on every single pokemon, in every single battle in the game. Another rule to keep in mind, would be that if a Pokemon is dual type, I will have to choose 2 moves from each of its type (ie. Pidgey would have to have 2 Flying and 2 Normal moves). Last but not least, since Normal moves are never super effective against anyone, they can only be stat changing moves. Other restrictions are welcome. So, the question is: Do you have any suggestions on a good team/moveset for that challenge?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    Mystic Water or any type-strengthening items in gen III, for that matter, only raise by 1.1. It's not til 4th gen that they all become 1.2. But yes, they stack power.

~Arcanine
    ~Starmie
    ~Rhydon
    ~Pidgeot
    ~Venusaur
    ~Scizor

I was going to suggest Magneton since you need an electric type to kill Lorelei, but it doesn't learn steel attacks.

Default Pokemon best starter and team help

should i start with charmandar or bulbasaur

Default Golbat crisis

Kso fr/lg was made after rby/saph, so it should be able to recognize crobat, however when my golbat finally loved me enough to evolve, it's evolution stopped and said ...? I tried again using a rare candy, in case I pressed B, but once again it's evolution stopped with the same ...?

Any ideas/suggestions as to why golbat refuses to evolve?
        Spoiler:- Game Teams:
    I have a pretty good reputation on these forums... Well i mean I could...

You need the National Dex. You'll get it after you defeat the Elite Four, complete the Sevii Islands sidequest and have at least 60 Kanto Pokémon registered in your Pokédex.

It's an intentional feature of the game. It has nothing to do with when the pairs of titles were released relative to one another.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Default Fire Red Team Help!!

Hello,

I'm considering starting a fire red save using only fire type pokemon, I know the first two gyms will be hard being rock and water, however I feel I will be able to complete the game using just a fire team.

I need a good range of crossing types, ie Charizard can learn fly etc.

I may become stuck when it comes to surfing, waterfall etc any idea on how to combat this?

What would you recommend?

AshaPW - Junior Moderator on Poliwager Forums - http://forums.poliwager.com/

Bulbasaur would make the first two gyms relatively easy, charmander would struggle until it learn't metal claw at level 14 or 15 I forget which, however charmander is a good solid starter against the bug catchers around that area.

AshaPW - Junior Moderator on Poliwager Forums - http://forums.poliwager.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AshaPW View Post
    Hello,

I'm considering starting a fire red save using only fire type pokemon, I know the first two gyms will be hard being rock and water, however I feel I will be able to complete the game using just a fire team.

I need a good range of crossing types, ie Charizard can learn fly etc.

I may become stuck when it comes to surfing, waterfall etc any idea on how to combat this?

What would you recommend?
    Well, most Mono-type run rules allow you to run with a Pokémon that Learns surf or other Required HMs, but never use it for battle and only have in your party when you need it.

We do have a thread for Monotype Challanges: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...allenge-Thread!

Also, Merged a few threads.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

Does anybody know if one can make a Pokemon relearn a previous move? Like in the third gen version where they use heart scales.... Is there something similar in FR and LG?
    Pokemon Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrJosephIssa View Post
    Does anybody know if one can make a Pokemon relearn a previous move? Like in the third gen version where they use heart scales.... Is there something similar in FR and LG?
    There's a man on Two Island who can perform that service in exchange for two TinyMushrooms or one Big Mushroom. He lives next to the Game Corner on the island.

Thank you Charmed!
    Pokemon Master

My proposed Fire Red team on my current save file consists of Charizard, Primeape, Raichu, Lapras and Chansey. I want a final member, preferably not Dragonite but a more challenging Pokemon to use. Any suggestions for an interesting final Pokemon?

Hey Guys

I would like to do a run through of all Gen 3 and I have a question regarding the National Pokedex

I understand certain pokemon cannot be caught in game without events or outside games like XD and Colosseum

I am unable to get certain legendary pokemon (Lugia/Ho-oh and the event legends) will they still show up in the dex as a blank number? or is it similar to Gen 5 were if you haven't seen/caught the event legends they don't show up in your dex?

thanks in advance for any help
    Friend Safari

Friend Code - 3411-1341-5371

Quote Originally Posted by PMG View Post
    Hey Guys

I would like to do a run through of all Gen 3 and I have a question regarding the National Pokedex

I understand certain pokemon cannot be caught in game without events or outside games like XD and Colosseum

I am unable to get certain legendary pokemon (Lugia/Ho-oh and the event legends) will they still show up in the dex as a blank number? or is it similar to Gen 5 were if you haven't seen/caught the event legends they don't show up in your dex?

thanks in advance for any help
    Like the 5th games, any unseen Pokémon will have a Blank entry in the list, as you can find Pokémon After Celebii in the National dex.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter t.KK View Post
    Like the 5th games, any unseen Pokémon will have a Blank entry in the list, as you can find Pokémon After Celebii in the National dex.
    thanks for the reply so just to be clear will it appear as

150 Mewtwo
    151 ...........
    152 Chikorita

248 Tyranitar
    249 ...........
    250 ...........
    251 ...........
    252 Treecko

Or will it appear like

150 Mewtwo
    152 Chikorita

248 Tyranitar
    252 Treecko

as Lugia and Ho-oh are not catchable without events (or Colosseum and XD) do they still show up in the dex?

same for the event legends Mew, Celebi, Jirach and Dexoys are they excluded from the dex? unless you have had access to the event?
    Last edited by PMG; 27th September 2013 at 2:36 PM.
    Friend Safari

Friend Code - 3411-1341-5371

Quote Originally Posted by PMG View Post
    thanks for the reply so just to be clear will it appear as

150 Mewtwo
    151 ...........
    152 Chikorita

248 Tyranitar
    249 ...........
    250 ...........
    251 ...........
    252 Treecko

Or will it appear like

150 Mewtwo
    152 Chikorita

248 Tyranitar
    252 Treecko

as Lugia and Ho-oh are not catchable without events (or Colosseum and XD) do they still show up in the dex?

same for the event legends Mew, Celebi, Jirach and Dexoys are they excluded from the dex? unless you have had access to the event?
    First example, just like if you've not seen any other Pokémon.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

Default Is my game real?

So today, I purchased a copy of Pokemon Fire Red. It seems like it runs decent, no weird opening messages, and my friend's save file is still there. The cartridge seems okay, label is shiny, fonts are all correct, numbers are imprinted on the right side like they should, E for Everyone is proportioned correctly, significantly less see-through than the Hoenn games. But you know how when you look into the cartridge from the bottom there are numbers and a copyright form Nintendo? Mine looks a little different from my Emerald's which was (c)2002 Nintendo AGE E05-01. This Fire Red says like (|) Nintendo AGB E02-30. What I'm asking for is for all you out there with a copy of FR, to please look at the undersides of your copies and tell me if yours says the same?

I've merged your thread with the Help thread sticky.

Idk much about the numbers or the such, but based on the rest, if it is a fake, it's a convincing one.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current Article: From RSE to ORAS - what has improved? We look at aspects that changed for better or worse.
    Previous Article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

I can probs look at mine tomorrow when I get to my house.

Default Possible game bug? Post Elite Four.

Playing Leaf Green on android.

Defeated the Elite Four and my rival. Credits and game save/restart etc.

Talked to Oak, got the national pokedex, went to One Island (have done all the previous stuff, finding the little girl in the Berry Forest and Bill takes you back to Cinnibar)

Try Talking to Celio and he says he prefers working alone now Bill has left or whatever. Also about not having time to find a gem when he was studying and working. That's it. Nothing about the machine or needing parts.

The Rockets at mt. ember still don't battle/no cave opening/no eavesdropping on the conversation, presumably because Celio didn't start the quest for the parts for the machine.

Go back and talk to Oak...he just says I have got 85 pokemon - really goo and 86 in the national dex - looking forward to when I complete the national dex.

Went back and talked at the Indigo Plateau and they said Lorelie or whatever her name is isn't there, she's away or something. Tried restarting, going back to Oak, Celio, Even Bill at the top of Cereulean.

Also can't get into Cereulean cave, says I have to beat the Elite Four AND do something great or something. Presuming getting MewTwo comes after the last Celio quest line or something - not sure as first time playing FR/LG.

Thanks

p.s. Can post screen caps of what each person says if it's required.

Lorelei isn't at the League due to her being on Four Island's Icefall Cave.

Did you rescue Lostelle and brought the Meteor to her father yet?

Those are rquirememnts for starting the Ruby Sidequest.

IIRC, you also need to beat the Bikers at Three Island, talk to the woman at Cape Brink once, and talk to the man in Three Island Cave.

Default Breeding Question

I hope this is the correct category.

So I bred my Charizard(F, 40) with a Dratini(M, ~33). I'm a newb at breeding Pokemon, but I heard that the baby would inherit the moves of the father (or at least some), in this case Dratini. But when it hatched, it was a male Charmander having the usual starter attacks : Scratch and Growl.

Why weren't there other moves? Or this thing doesn't exist in the 1st gen? Halp. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmeister View Post
    I hope this is the correct category.

So I bred my Charizard(F, 40) with a Dratini(M, ~33). I'm a newb at breeding Pokemon, but I heard that the baby would inherit the moves of the father (or at least some), in this case Dratini. But when it hatched, it was a male Charmander having the usual starter attacks : Scratch and Growl.

Why weren't there other moves? Or this thing doesn't exist in the 1st gen? Halp. xD
    What where Dratini's Moves? Charmanader will only learn certain moves. A list of Moves is on here: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-rs/004.shtml

Merged thread
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter t.KK View Post
    What where Dratini's Moves? Charmanader will only learn certain moves. A list of Moves is on here: X

Merged thread
    Dratini's moves (he was lvl 24 btw, sorry) : Leer, Thunder Wave, Twister, Dragon Rage.
    I also checked Charmander's movelist (I check those lists regularly) and he could only learn Dragon Rage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmeister View Post
    Dratini's moves (he was lvl 24 btw, sorry) : Leer, Thunder Wave, Twister, Dragon Rage.
    I also checked Charmander's movelist (I check those lists regularly) and he could only learn Dragon Rage.
    If you were looking to pass Dragon Rage, both parents would need to know it. Level up moves need to be known by BOTH parents, Egg Moves and TM/HMs only need to be known by the father.
    Pearl BQ: 1.2.3.4.
    SS BQ: 1.2.3.4.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast