Thread: Help writing a fanfic? (Warning: pretty long post)

Default Help writing a fanfic? (Warning: pretty long post)

Posted this originally on the Pokémon Manga page, and was redirected here.

So I've been a Pokespe fan for a good long while now, and I recently had the idea to write an Pokespe epic. Not like an EPIC, but if if you've read Yowl of Time's Pokemon Adventures series, you'll know what I mean. Anyway, I want to center this story on Silver, because he's one of the more complex characters in the series. And also because there's already a lot of analytical stuff on dark side good guys. And I'm already drawing "inspiration" from some of them. Of course, you can't have a good Pokespe fanfic without the love interest, and since I'm an Oldrivalshipping fan, I decided to throw in Soul, who will appear as a girl who has lost her memory.

The first arc will be called "Children of Hope," or at least, that's what it is as of me writing this post. It centers around the kidnapping of Lance, Giovanni, and Yellow by a man bent on using their powers for some dark purpose. A few dexholders find out, and travel to one of the regions to stop the villain. Somewhere along the way, Silver meets Soul, and they start to get closer. Long story short, we have as many epic feelsy moments I can draw from anime and manga, and we have the closing to the first arc as the villain is defeated.

As for the next arc, we now have a new villain who aims to capture the three deities of Sinnoh. Silver and Soul, along with a few Dexholder buddies, try to stop him.

And now for true spoilers. If you ever plan on reading this fic which will probably never happen, stop reading. Otherwise, proceed.

The man who wants the deities is a boy named Heart, who wants to return to his world, since he's not originally part of this one. He needs the three deities in order to transcend the fabric of time and space to transport himself to this other dimension. Soul finds out that she is also originally part of that world, but also learns that going through the portal would erase all memories of this world from her mind, as well as destroy this world. So, with a Destiny Bond, she takes her own life as well as Heart's, ending the calamity. And we are left with Sad Silver.

Anyways, a few questions and things I needed help with on this fic. (And by the way, it's a miracle that you made it this far."

-how do you start writing a fic? Like, a specific type of scene. Silver getting off the boat, Silver finding Soul laying on the ground, etc.
    -villain from the first arc? His aims, name, personality, that type of stuff. I think I have a pretty solid idea for Heart, but suggestions for him are welcome as well.

Any suggestions and questions are welcome! And this is also nowhere near the amount of small details I have planned for this fic.

Hi there! Just so you know, the main Fan Fiction forum is for stories only. For advice, you'll want to hit up the Authors' Cafe. For convenience's sake, I've bounced your thread over.

That said, to answer your questions:

how do you start writing a fic? Like, a specific type of scene. Silver getting off the boat, Silver finding Soul laying on the ground, etc.
    Well, that's really up to you. Different stories can call for different beginnings, and which one you need depends entirely on the tone you want to set. For example, some stories work better with slow, peaceful beginnings, like ones in which we're introduced to the characters going about their daily lives. This kind of slow beginning lets us see the characters in their happy, innocent state before shiz goes down, so it helps to highlight the chaos and mayhem of the rest of the plot. Other stories might start in medias res with an action scene of some kind or another, and this helps set a more dynamic tone that can work well for darker stories. Think hard about what type of tone you want to achieve, make an outline of the events you'd like to cover in your first chapter, and feel free to experiment with different beginnings to see what works the best for you.

villain from the first arc? His aims, name, personality, that type of stuff. I think I have a pretty solid idea for Heart, but suggestions for him are welcome as well.
    Er, characters are also something that's up to you, sorry to say. See, characters are basically the heartbeat of your story, and vital characters like your main villain for one of your bigger arcs is definitely something you can't really ask for audience participation on simply because doing so would basically be asking us to write the main core of your story for you. But! Because you have a plot for that first arc, you're already partway there because—that's right—what villain works for you also depends a lot on what story you're trying to tell! So your best bet is working backwards from that goal, taking notes and making outlines along the way. Why does your villain want to use these powers? What is he trying to achieve? Why is that goal so important to him? Is he straight-up evil or morally ambiguous? Keep asking yourself questions and answering them until you eventually run out of things to ask, then compile your notes, read over them and meditate on them carefully, and tweak as needed until you come up with a villain you want to work with—or at least a villain that drives the story you want to tell.

Writing an epic takes a lot of hard work, yeah, but it's definitely do-able. It just involves sitting down now and then and taking metric tons of notes. b)'')b But rest assured that you'll have the support of the reviewer base on Serebii when you get started, so good luck~!

Poor guy! They keep bouncing your post all around the place! I'll repost what I said in the Pokemon Manga forum for reference of others who might come across this thread:

As a fellow PokeSpe fanfic writer (*cough*Obnoxious Fate*cough*) and in the process of writing a multi-novel original story, I think I can shed some enlightenment on the process.

-how do you start writing a fic? Like, a specific type of scene. Silver getting off the boat, Silver finding Soul laying on the ground, etc.
    One little trick that works for me is that I find one or two scenes that is the centerpiece of the story and then I ask myself "How do I get to this point?"

For example: Obnoxious Fate deals with the idea that Wally feels like he's been missing out on the funner things in life (like going to the Battle Frontier) because of his illness while his doctor is a scumbag who is in debt to the Sinnoh mafia. The two scenes that I felt were essential to the story were "Emerald Meets Wally" and "Doctor faces Dexholders". From there, it was a matter of "How can I make Wally and Emerald meet?" and "How do I get the Dexholders involved?"

I wouldn't start with Silver getting off of the boat, per say. I would maybe start with Silver on the boat while a conversation between him and someone else (like one of the other Dexholders) gives us exposition and lets the reader know what's going on (the kiddnapping) without being too obvious. Then Silver gets off of the boat. Like I said, find out what you want your arc to accomplish and worry about getting your characters there while keeping them in-character. The awesome part comes when you find yourself writing dialog and actions without even thinking. Almost like the characters are telling you what they would do.

As for the villain, maybe the guy who kidnapped the Viridian trio has some purpose that in his head is 100% morally correct while coming off as completely insane and ludicrous to everyone else? I'm at a loss for this one. This is something that you'll have to figure out as you build your story brick-by-brick.

Any other questions?
    JX actually nails down what I wanted to say better than I could say it myself! In fact, I have to quote something said that I forgot to mention that is a big deal:

Think hard about what type of tone you want to achieve, make an outline of the events you'd like to cover in your first chapter, and feel free to experiment with different beginnings to see what works the best for you.
    This is super-important! With OF and OF2, I made a Word document that was basically the chapter number, the chapter title, and a small blurb about what was going down in that chapter. When I started my novel, I took this to a whole new level and used Excel to make a storyboard with the chapter number being the columns and the act/scene number being the rows. From there, an act would be two or three cells with little blurbs describing what needs to happen at that particular time and nothing more.

Even if you don't have a 100% idea of the beginning or even a middle, board out your story anyways. From there you can see what needs to be filled in and you can work from there.
    First Sequence
    Boots bitten: 4