Page 1334 of 1334 FirstFirst ... 33412341284132413301331133213331334
Results 33,326 to 33,335 of 33335

Thread: The Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual Alliance Club

Quote Originally Posted by Ketaru View Post
    So I've got a long story to tell.

Right now, I'm going to school for a Master's in Social Work. I still don't know what I want to do with it. I know I want to do clinical counseling. But my focus is unclear. My father died of colon cancer about 6 years ago. And now my brother has cancer. My aunt and my grandfather are (or were, in my grandfather's case before he died of old age) cancer survivors. So I'm strongly considering medical social work.

On the other hand, I've been unemployed for 7 months and only recently found part-time work for when I go back to school. My unemployment just ran out, though I'm relieved to still live with my mother while I finish grad school and work part-time. So I'm frequently astounded by the insensitivity towards the lower class. Despite my setbacks, I'm still relatively lucky. Still, I frequently hear people having opinions about how poor people are only poor because they'd rather collect welfare than work menial jobs. Most of those menial jobs have no benefits, pay minimum wage, and could not possibly support a family. Regardless what I end up doing with social work, I'm probably going to have to work with homeless or lower income peoples.

Then of course, on the other hand, I have a stake in LGBT issues and considered working with homeless youth or even HIV counseling, just to do work for the community.

But I never even considered global social work and advocacy.

Right now, I'm on an online dating site and somebody contacted me and wished to meet. I was under the impression it was a date. Or even a hook-up, though I held to the possibility he really was looking for a date. When I get to outside his apartment, he texts me and says I have to pick him up from around the building. Turns out, he's from mainland China, living with friends who also came for grad school. He doesn't want to be seen going into a guy's car. My immediate thought is, "That's kind of pathetic." And then he later tells me he just wanted to talk, it wasn't a date to him and he wasn't looking for a relationship. Now I'm starting to get angry. But I drove an hour just to meet him so I figured I'd see it through. We spent the afternoon just getting lunch and talking about school and life.

He was sharing with me about how his friends are very conservative and that he had never come out to any of them. He also said that he was only coming to the states for two years just for grad school. After he was done, he was going to go back home to China, where he knows he's pretty much going to have to find a wife and have children with her. And that was why he wasn't looking for a relationship with anyone- because he didn't want to have to lose it when he goes home in two years.

Funny thing is, I was no longer there looking for a potential date. Now I felt more like I was doing counseling. I tried asking what his feelings about that are. And tried to point him to some resources at the school, even if he just went to talk to someone and share his experience. But he says he is too afraid to be seen by his friends.

So now I'm even more confused by what I want to do with my career. I never considered international social work. But now it's like, everywhere I look, I see need.
    Now that I have something better I should be doing (but am putting off), my boyfriend is going to school for social work (he's planning on doing clinical social work)

We've made some pretty big steps in our relationship and went on our first like actual date earlier (which seems to have gone well saying as neither of us have been on like an actual date before), so stuff still seems to be going really well for us

Latest Shiny: Gible (MMing on Y - After 1637 Eggs!)

Anyone here watched Blue Is The Warmest Color? I originally said to myself I'd watch it to improve my French, but that's not all that came of it, of course.

Any thoughts/comments on the movie?

I haven't. I still need to watch a certain Brazilian movie. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Ketaru View Post
    So I've got a long story to tell.

Right now, I'm going to school for a Master's in Social Work. I still don't know what I want to do with it. I know I want to do clinical counseling. But my focus is unclear.
    Those are strong histories. I would have tried to help the Chinese guy a bit more because people deceiving themselves is sad.
    You should choose a way without fear. If you see it doesn't fit you, jump to another area. I don't see much problem on getting masters on one area and getting doctoral on another area (I've seen that myself). The dual experience may even be helpful in the future.

This week I decided to not be silent anymore. I will defend the LGBT people on social media, "like" the clever messages, even share the UN video for LGBT rights. I don't care if high school people find out and tell my brother, I'm ready to deal with family.
    After a good acquaintance from high school (who respects me a lot) defended a homophobe candidate under the "freedom of speech" (said candidate incited hate against LGBT on a debate Monday), I had to comment saying how that was wrong. i like how we are still discussing (and hopefully I'll fix at least the misinformation).

I don't need to come out to discuss that, but now I'm ready to tell the truth if anyone asks me if I'm gay.
    Last edited by Tattooed Tooth; 3rd October 2014 at 7:16 PM.

I have claimed Nidoran ♀
        Spoiler:- My collections in Pokémon X:

3DS Friend Code: 2766-9498-2899
    Water Safari
    Savanna Pattern Vivillon

I can't really say much to everyone's troubles going on, but good luck with what you're all facing. Courage!

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooed Tooth View Post
    I haven't. I still need to watch a certain Brazilian movie. >.>
    Ugh, now you made me want to watch this one, too. x_x The day after I finished BITWC I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning finishing projects and homework. Why must people keep exposing me to good things?!

After further review of my sexuality in the last 6 months I now identify as Pansexual.

Quote Originally Posted by VS View Post
    After further review of my sexuality in the last 6 months I now identify as Pansexual.
    Gosh, you change your mind fast. Any recent events that led you to this new conclusion?

Quote Originally Posted by Keysmash View Post
    Gosh, you change your mind fast. Any recent events that led you to this new conclusion?
    Yes, probably my granny passing away.

So, there are some really nice guys who I play volleyball with. But I have no idea if they like other guys (probably not).

As I said, everything is easier in parties (FINALLY I'm going to attend one Friday), but I need to learn how to get closer with people in more reliable, "regular" situations.
    I already missed the chance to do anything with a sweet Argentinean guy who got a bit close to me due to having the same name. He would stay here for only 1 month. During the very last training day, I tried to wait until the end of the "bonus" time, but it was getting late and he still was playing... I built courage to talk to him the next time, but there wasn't next time. >.<

Now there is this new guy who usually plays on the next court. We played together last Thursday in order to complete the teams scheduled after us, and he is pretty friendly. We were the tallest guys during the game, so we got a bit close (by trying to block a harsh attacker xD).
    I really want to call him to do something, but, unlike the Argentinean guy, this isn't exactly a "nothing to lose". Damn, I should just try some movie or cultural stuff and see if we get to know each other better with talks (awesome if it includes soft-claiming the sexual orientations).

I have claimed Nidoran ♀

Water Safari
    Savanna Pattern Vivillon

The more I read here (I lurk a lot >->) I realize that I am far too blunt about 'things'. Generally when I want to ask a guy out, I just do it. If hes not gay the he can take it as a compliment.

Generally its not an issue. But it just seems like a lot of people here are more subtle than I am, maybe I should learn from it.
    Mainly on from 12a EST to 6a EST. Please don't VM me, I rarely check them.

At 85/100 friends, so I'm being a little more selective of the safaris I add. Usually this amounts to me asking what your 3DS ID name is.
    I have access to all starters from all generations, HA for only gen 1 and 6. Send a PM if there's one you want.

My 3DS ID is 1306-6462-3876
    In game name X-Jacob Y-Sam
    Safari: Growlithe - Charmelion - Braixen

Well, I do that in parties. xD
    It's easier when I know I probably won't see the guy again. But if it's with someone you might befriend, there is that awkward feeling forever...

I have claimed Nidoran ♀

Water Safari
    Savanna Pattern Vivillon

Page 1334 of 1334 FirstFirst ... 33412341284132413301331133213331334