Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scizor or Scyther with Eviolite?

Default Scizor or Scyther with Eviolite?

Both Scizor and Scyther are powerful pokemon and despite Scizor being Scyther's evolution, they share the same Base Stat Total.

While Scizor gains a strong defense and has its weaknesses reduced to a single 4x Fire, it sacrifices speed, neutralizing its sweeping capabilities without a priority move.

Scyther is cursed with a 4x weakness to rock and 4 weaknesses to common types. However, it has access to Eviolite, which boosts its defenses beyond that of Scizor. It also maintains a 105 Base Speed, enabling it to sweep through a number of other pokemon. And with Technician, Scyther can be a humongous threat.

Scyther's new bulk also enables it to be an effective Swords Dance, Agility, or Substitute Baton Passer for added versatility.

So in your opinion, will Scyther move from UU to OU in this generation? Will it overtake its evolution in terms of usefulness?

Spoiler:- My Badge Case:

use used both of them scyther @ eviolite +swords dance and baton bass
    for me scyther works a lot better than scizor if you can set up.
    but good thing about scizor is he has a lot of resistances than scyther.

The steel type definitely adds a big advantage to Scizor. In my opinion, it depends on the user and their team and what type of offense they want Scizor/Scyther to bring, so i would call it a draw.
    Friend Code:
    Pokemon Trainer Cloud
    2406 5173 7383

I have Mastered Metagross

Terrakion stole all hope of Scyther getting any good, it outspeeds and murders it with Stone Edge.

eviolite scyter wont be able to maximize acrobatics though, even with STAB

I have claimed Giratina

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser soze View Post
    eviolite scyter wont be able to maximize acrobatics though, even with STAB
    There's only a 30 base power difference between Acrobatics and Aerial Ace after Technician and STAB. And now you'll be able to hit those pesky Garchomps.

i can't see eviolite scyther being better than scizor at all. first up is the obvious stealth rock weakness, which kills any attempt at being bulky. next up is, despite the extra bulk, the typing is bad enough to offset it. i'd probably use scizor any day.

...Why not both? Just to be more annoying

It's true I never liked Scizor since its SO SO SLOW

But Scyther sounds way too frail, even with Eviolite, that Flying type just really makes it hard for it.

And 105 spd isn't that fast, so many other leads can outrun that, even rogue ones like Galvantula.

It's certainly better as a late-game sweeper, but Scizor can be used in more situations and as a revenge killer.
    Yes, I version track, manga read, and TCG at the same time. =]

Do YOU believe in the power of Kurt's pokeballs? I DO!!!!! I will prove this to the world by catching Mewtwo with a Love Ball.... copy this in your signature if you will try to do the same!

Quote Originally Posted by blaZofgold View Post
    ...Why not both? Just to be more annoying
    Yeah! But it would be annoying if people just had teams full of Blissey, Scizor, Eviolite Chansey, and Eviolite Scyther.

Spoiler:- FC:

Spoiler:- Credits:

Originally Posted by ~Sapphire Sceptile~
    He can teleport. Or he's a Zoroark. In fact, the whole game is a Zoroark. LIFE is a Zoroark.
    CURRENTLY TAKING A BREAK FROM FORUMS, TRADE,BATTLE!
        Spoiler:- Why you may ask?:

SR kills off any defensive capabilities granted by Eviolite, just go with Scizor.

If I were to run Scyther, I'd think about Life Orb over Eviolite anyway. As mentioned, poor typing makes the defensive boosts less relevant.

I'm not sure why I'd choose a Pokemon weak to four common attacking types (and Flying, but that's less seen), 4x weak to Stealth Rock, with good but not outstanding stats, and so-so STAB.

I would go for Scizor, as already mentioned he doesn't have the Stealth Rock weakness + might be good to mention he doesn't get dmg from sandstorm, unlike Scyther.
    3DS FC: 3652-1394-5597

stealth rock
    end of discussion
    White FC 1635 4614 7349

Quote Originally Posted by Cryochronic View Post
    Both Scizor and Scyther are powerful pokemon and despite Scizor being Scyther's evolution, they share the same Base Stat Total.

While Scizor gains a strong defense and has its weaknesses reduced to a single 4x Fire, it sacrifices speed, neutralizing its sweeping capabilities without a priority move.

Scyther is cursed with a 4x weakness to rock and 4 weaknesses to common types. However, it has access to Eviolite, which boosts its defenses beyond that of Scizor. It also maintains a 105 Base Speed, enabling it to sweep through a number of other pokemon. And with Technician, Scyther can be a humongous threat.

Scyther's new bulk also enables it to be an effective Swords Dance, Agility, or Substitute Baton Passer for added versatility.

So in your opinion, will Scyther move from UU to OU in this generation? Will it overtake its evolution in terms of usefulness?
    It's definitely gained usability over Scizor as a BPer this gen, but it won't ever hit OU because of that 4x SR weakness and lack of type coverage compared to Scizor.
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    (come and play Team Fortress 2 with me!)

I don't think scyther has the typing to pull it off. Weaknesses to Rock, Electric, Fire, Flying, and Ice. Not to mention it could have better defenses, and it's walled by Steel types.
    Terrakion stole all hope of Scyther getting any good, it outspeeds and murders it with Stone Edge.
    Really? Saying that it can't be used because of one pokemon? Okay, then, let's not use Scizor, Ferrothorn, Fortress, Tyranitar, Genesect, Hydregon, ect., because of Infernape.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    I Really? Saying that it can't be used because of one pokemon? Okay, then, let's not use Scizor, Ferrothorn, Fortress, Tyranitar, Genesect, Hydregon, ect., because of Infernape.
    We already don't use Infernape because of Starmie and Slowbro...But we don't use Starmie because of Shedinja. Slowbro is ok, because he learns flamethrower.

It looks like it could work. Maybe not OU worthy, but it could be fun to play with.
    Black FC: 1420 6671 4175

I have claimed Reptileon, The Dragon Eeveelution!

Credit to gladeshadow

Quote Originally Posted by Karzon View Post
    We already don't use Infernape because of Starmie and Slowbro...But we don't use Starmie because of Shedinja. Slowbro is ok, because he learns flamethrower.
    Um...what?

Even with Eviolite, Scyther doesn't stand a chance against powerful sweepers with super effective moves, unless there's Light Screen and Reflect support. That's why I prefer Scizor over Eviolite Syther anyway, not only because he's good at physical attacking and having Toxic immunity.

Depends, I guess.

Scyther's typing is crap, but the speed lets him sweep better than Scizor. Until you find out he doesn't have Acrobatics or Superpower. Then you know that Scizor wins him hands down.

Use Scizor unless you want Scyther's Ground and Fighting Immunity/Resistances. But I'd use Escaliver over Scizor if he had a better movepool.
    Ignore, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Um...what?
    ...s/he is just stacking onto my argument that a pokemon can't go to NU or UU because of a single pokemon.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Quote Originally Posted by otaku-dono View Post
    i can't see eviolite scyther being better than scizor at all. first up is the obvious stealth rock weakness, which kills any attempt at being bulky. next up is, despite the extra bulk, the typing is bad enough to offset it. i'd probably use scizor any day.
    Agreed, If Scyther had that bug/steel typing I think it would be a different story, but it doesn't and with the Evolite you lose STAB Acrobatics and Life Orb, so it would be tough for Scyther to get anywhere other than being a good UU or NFE poke.
    [IMG]http://i55.*******.com/2hr1lcg.png[/IMG]
    Diamond Friend Code: 0132-1589-3047
    Black Friend Code: 5457-9904-5129
        Spoiler:- Who Made What:

PM me for offers
    4th gen: (with Volt Tackle)
    5th gen (* following Pokémon means DW Ability): ^all of the above, * **** ****** (under construction)

After using both on random battles for a few games I can easily say that scizor is better. Scyther's just too fragile and can't take hits from big hitting pokemon such as garchomp. Plus I just sweeped their whole team with scizor so he's better

I like Choise Band Scizor, But Sword Dance evo stone scyther

My OU Party
    Pokemon Trainer threw a Haxball
    I AM THE PROUD OWNER OF A 3DS
    Ioliolk-user bar Zekerom-pokeball Gladeshadow-team pose TheDarkDragons-fusion Pokegirlforever- Walking pokemon
    Big thanks to all of you

Keep the Eviolite on 'mons that can make better use of it, such as Dusclops and Chansey. Scizor is beastly enough, and although Stealth Rock isn't all that common in random battles, the heavy hitters are still to be feared.

-1st place at my Toughest Trainer Tournament
    -Friend Codes
    -White: 3954 6397 8535
    -Diamond: 2019 6150 4056

Scizor has a Steel typing, with only 1 weakness, which means it will still take less damage from most attacks even if his defenses aren't as high. Typing is all that matters.

Credit to FrostStorm for the banner; YOU ARE MAJESTIC FROSTSTORM

3DS FC: 4940 6396 1803

"Because I am the man... who made a typo in his own name while registering..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast