Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Random Matchup Metagame

Default Random Matchup Metagame

With the advent of Pokemon Black and White, an option has been created for players around the world to be randomly assigned an opponent. This metagame has very few rules compared to Smogon's metagame. While many prefer the set tiers established by Smogon, random matchup is a place to show off more unique Pokemon and sets and has a host of threats and rules to prepare for. This topic is created primarily for the discussion of the singles metagame.

Random Matchup Rules

As stated, the rules of Random Matchup are fairly few compared to the Standard Metagame. Many players already know them, but I might as well review them here.

Team Rules: You may have as many as six Pokemon with you, as always, but you will only select three after viewing a preview of your opponent's team. All Pokemon on your team will be autoleveled down to level 50 (not leveled up) and species clause is active, you cannot have more than two of the same Pokemon species on your team. No two of the same items are allowed on your team (Item Clause).

Banned Pokemon/ Moves/ Items:

Mewtwo
    Mew
    Lugia
    Ho-Oh
    Celebi
    Kyogre
    Groudon
    Rayquaza
    Jirachi
    Deoxys
    Chatot
    Dialga
    Palkia
    Giratina
    Phione
    Manaphy
    Darkrai
    Shaymin
    Arceus
    Victini
    Reshiram
    Zekrom
    Kyurem
    Keldeo
    Meloetta
    Genesect
    Sky Drop (Move)
    Soul Dew (Item)

**Other than the aforementioned things, anything goes. That means Double Team. One-hit KO moves. Speed Boost Blaziken. Dizzle+Swift Swim. Moody. Garchomp. Multiple Sleeping Pokemon. You name it. While this metagame may seem broken (and at time it definitely is), it present an extra challenge of overcoming more threats.

Random Matchup Strategies
    Several things work better in random matchup than standard play, some just as well. I'll go over a few, explaining why they are especially good in random matchup. Here are a few:

Crippling Status: When you have three Pokemon, having any one of them become a dead weight is a huge issue. Any status that slows down, weakens, or otherwise completely stops an opponent is a huge advantage. I'm talking specifically about sleep, paralyze, and burn. Effective moves are Spore, Sleep Powder, Lovely Kiss, Hypnosis, Will-o-wisp, Glare, Thunder Wave, and Stun Spore.

Shuffling: Despite the unfortunate negative priority that comes with these moves, knowing what three Pokemon your opponent has in an amazing advantage. It allows you to better use Choice Users, and status is much more advantageous when you can Paralyze, Sleep, or Burn the entire opposing team with one Pokemon.

Choice Users: While bad in theory (in 3v3), they are somewhat unpredictable. They almost always take another Pokemon down with them, and are much harder to revenge kill because at most only two other Pokemon are left standing to oppose them. Knowing is half the battle, and with only three Pokemon in the game, it's much easier to decide when Garchomp should spam Outrage or hold back, for example.

Frisk/ Trick: Because item clause is in play, good players will find the best ways to use uncommon items to their advantage. You can only have one choice band, one focus sash, one life orb, one choice scarf, etc. Finding out what item the opponent has again grants a much more pertinent advantage in random matchup. Trick is especially useful when used with a scarf, because it again makes an opponent more predictable.

Screens: Battles only tend to last 5-8 turns. Why deny yourself protection for the whole battle? These can be especially useful for offense or bulky offense teams trying to counter the big threats, like Garchomp or Blaziken.

Set-up Sweepers: These can be used earlier in the game, because you only have to sweep three Pokemon to win, and they're even more so useful when you know the opponent's team.

Priority moves: If you keep running into specific threats, keeping priority moves on a team is useful, as you can see, revenging things is difficult.

Notes
    If you can think of anymore, post. I know that random matchup is ridden with broken strategies and DCers, but I've found it to be an enjoyable metagame and I'd rather this discussion be about that metagame than any issues you might have with it. Post useful sets/ strategies and cool stuff you might have run into, and if I forgot anything, let me know.

Discuss.
    3DS Friend Code
    1950-8676-5817

Why is chatot banned?

Quote Originally Posted by asterat View Post
    Why is chatot banned?
    Because of Chatter.(It let's people here your voice)

Random Matchup is alot harder than regular metagames. I've been swept with sleep, Drizzle=swift swim, and Garchomp. It's hard, yet you can try cool strategies with it.

Credit to FrostStorm for the banner; YOU ARE MAJESTIC FROSTSTORM

3DS FC: 4940 6396 1803

"Because I am the man... who made a typo in his own name while registering..."

Quote Originally Posted by Porgon-XYZ View Post
    Because of Chatter.(It let's people here your voice)

Random Matchup is alot harder than regular metagames. I've been swept with sleep, Drizzle=swift swim, and Garchomp. It's hard, yet you can try cool strategies with it.
    Oh, hen why don't they just ban chatter like sky drop... Cuz technically smeargle could have it right?

Oh, hen why don't they just ban chatter like sky drop... Cuz technically smeargle could have it right?
    Smeargle can't have Chatter.

Why is chatot banned?
    Well Chatter not only changes its sound, it also changes Chatot's cry. So the complications start like this..

Blue Harvest sent out Skarmory! "Brrrrooocheeee!!!"
    Opponent sent out Chatot! "N***** S*** C***!!!"

I must ask, how come Sky Drop is banned in Random Matchup?

3DS FC: 0001-3758-4431
    *Credit goes to Garnet Til Alexandros XVII for the Userbar*

Im thinking of using moody smeargle to BP shell smash to someone next time I try it. also minimize brightpowder statmie

I have claimed Giratina

Quote Originally Posted by TheMetalOverlord View Post
    I must ask, how come Sky Drop is banned in Random Matchup?
    Sky Drop + Gravity = No movement

Youtube "Sky Drop glitch"

I think this metagame is tons of fun. I face very unique teams, surprisingly. I win most of my battles because no one expects half the pokemon on my team to show up. I have to say that weather teams are crazy strong. I've faced four sand teams, lost twice, two sun teams lost, and two rain teams, and I actually beat both. Rain is underwhelming. I use Sub-CM virizion and it does an excellent job at walling politoad, setting up, and then sweeping. I've also found that rotom-w and rotom-c are excellent counters to rain and sand. Sun I have trouble with. Bulky waters don't do much good seeing as how solarbeam is prevalent. My best counter for sun teams are fire/dragon types with stone edge/EQ. I prefer to use entei as no one sees it coming.

Random matchup is very challenging, and that's why I like it.

The only thing I wish Random Matchup would do is enable 6 on 6 battles instead of 3 on 3.

No, I'm not giving anyone credit for my team pose because I made it myself.

This looks very interesting. I'll have to try it once I get a team up and running.
    Yep we should ban baton pass, and weather too. Oh and Trick Room, I'm tired of having to worry about Trick Room all the time. Just ban the move Trick Room, and prankster, it's broken. Ban all status moves on prankster users, they're too cheap. Oh and ban Probopass to it's so cheap. Just ban everything except Magikarp with splash.
    Well, actually Blaziken isn't really Uber because some people whined about how they were getting owned by it. I mean, it doesn't stand a chance in the Uber enviroment.

Quote Originally Posted by waffle_x_v View Post
    I think this metagame is tons of fun. I face very unique teams, surprisingly. I win most of my battles because no one expects half the pokemon on my team to show up. I have to say that weather teams are crazy strong. I've faced four sand teams, lost twice, two sun teams lost, and two rain teams, and I actually beat both. Rain is underwhelming. I use Sub-CM virizion and it does an excellent job at walling politoad, setting up, and then sweeping. I've also found that rotom-w and rotom-c are excellent counters to rain and sand. Sun I have trouble with. Bulky waters don't do much good seeing as how solarbeam is prevalent. My best counter for sun teams are fire/dragon types with stone edge/EQ. I prefer to use entei as no one sees it coming.
    This. It's much easier to understand why Smogon banned Drizzle/Swift Swim when you see how broken it is. Rain teams also have a knack for sleep support with Politoad's Hypnosis and Kingdra's Yawn.
    3DS Friend Code
    1950-8676-5817

While this metagame may seem broken

it is.

^Agreed.

It is fun, but less fun when someone abuses Evasion/OHKO moves or uses the classic Politoed+Kingdra strategy.
    PKMN White FC:3696-9536-5314
    PM me if you want me to rate your team!

Random Matchup Score(singles): 174 wins, 38 losses
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R136a1
    ^My favorite star!

My copy-pasters:
    73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this in your signature. (started by Jay-X)

The Gay Thread Amnesty Plea- Let's have some common sense. A ban on all threads relating to issues of Homosexuality for at least a month. Yes I have taken Amnesty ever so slightly out of context but I imagine you get my drift.
    (Snorunt conservationist)

Quote Originally Posted by Poke_Cannon View Post
    While this metagame may seem broken

it is.
    It's not even funny how TRUE that sentence is

Most Recent Shiny!

MyAnimeList
    3DS FRIEND CODE:4983-5418-8982 | IGN: Colby
    Friend Safari:
    Self Obtained Shinies:

Pretty sure I made it obvious that I know how broken this metagame is.

I'm also pretty sure I made it obvious that wasn't what this topic was about.
    3DS Friend Code
    1950-8676-5817

speed boost blaziken kinda sucks in random matchup. its so
    predictable and easy to counter when you get see your opponent has one

Ive noticed entry hazards are quite uncommon. half of that probably comes from not everyone reading smogon guides, but you dont get that much bang for your buck when they only have 3 pokemon, and there is less switching. so rocks & spikes isnt as viable unless youre going to make a team devoted to phazing, so adding an attack for extra coverage might be better.. this also makes the 4x rock weakness pokes (like charizard, volcarona, and yanmega) more viable

I have claimed Giratina

Speed Boost Blaziken passes speed boosts to a Moody Smeargle, which puts every pokemon on the foe's team to sleep with Spore, uses Belly Drum, and Baton Passes to Garchomp. If only I had a Latios with Soul Dew, or maybe a Simple Swoobat that used Double Team over and over...

That would be awful to fight against, but so much fun to use. I just want to see how many of Smogon's rules can be broken in this medium.
    If you're creative, don't copy and paste this into your signature (Started by 3.14kachu).

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Random matchup is very challenging, and that's why I like it.

The only thing I wish Random Matchup would do is enable 6 on 6 battles instead of 3 on 3.
    Agree! I wish they could do something about rage quitters though, i have lost so much wins because of them! But another thing i hate is people who spam guillotine and sheer cold. And people who use cheap tactics like minimise behind a sub with toxic.

I have found that a calm mind suicune to be very helpful for me, and CB scizor. I usually use these two together.
    This is bad! Badbadbadbadbadbadbad! Bad for Team Plasma! Or Plasbad for short!

PLAAAASMAAAAA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 3.14kachu View Post
    Speed Boost Blaziken passes speed boosts to a Moody Smeargle, which puts every pokemon on the foe's team to sleep with Spore, uses Belly Drum, and Baton Passes to Garchomp. If only I had a Latios with Soul Dew, or maybe a Simple Swoobat that used Double Team over and over...

That would be awful to fight against, but so much fun to use. I just want to see how many of Smogon's rules can be broken in this medium.
    wow that would be tough... But isn't speed boost blaziken illegal with baton pass? or does it not matter in random matchups?
    This is bad! Badbadbadbadbadbadbad! Bad for Team Plasma! Or Plasbad for short!

PLAAAASMAAAAA!!!

I don't see what the problem with rain/swift swim is. Kingdra can be easily contained even with double speed, it's hardily a threat. Sand rush Excadrill on the other hand is far more menacing. My biggest problem with Random Matchup is rage quitters though. I've been robbed of 50+ wins because my opponent disconnects as soon as I kill their last pokemon, or even so much as take the upper hand in a battle.

the random matchup can be very fun I usually dont have a problem But thoes Rage quitters. the worst are those Asians when i get on at about 1 Am -4 am almost every asian I battle quits(im not saying that to be racist) but does anyone else have that problem?

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster700 View Post
    Anyone seen the adverts? They have brought back the EX cards!!
    28th February 2012, 12:16 PM

[IMG]http://i56.*******.com/ckxs4.gif[/IMG]
    ^ Click here to go to my shop!^
    ^Credits to Mew_

I agree.Like, almost every time I KO a Pokemon from the Opponents side, they rage quit.They should know that they can't always win.
    Derp.

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN

Porypichu2, my partner in Derp, was made by Flyingpichu64

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast